rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

Season Ticket Holder's Q&A
04 December, 2017 19:54
Just wondered if anyone is there tonight and could feedback what was said from Todd and Tarquin and Co.

Cheers

Salmon

Adopted Player 17-18 & 16-17: Dave Attwood
Adopted Player 15-16: Matt Garvey

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

Re: Season Ticket Holder's Q&A
04 December, 2017 21:45
Did anyone ask why were playing with no game-plan/passion/intellect/random violence? Or why no-one's been fired yet? Or... any of the questions that get asked on here so frequently.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2017 21:46 by Which Tyler.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

04 December, 2017 22:30
Iíd so so love to hear BOvB ask Todd why our lock forwards donít go around thumping people anymore. The look on Toddís face would be priceless

MESSAGES->author
Widcombe Boy (IP Logged)

04 December, 2017 23:34
Very good evening. No questions avoided other than Banners Contract which Todd said was a private matter. Banners has been offered a contract and it was now up to him. It was alluded that he had been offered double by another club.

Started with the Exeter game. Game plan was to physically dominate Exeter to prevent their momentum. Todd said the kicking game let us down and all kicks were supposed to be contestable which they were not and brought on multiple phases & hence 60 odd tackles, further mistakes led to further numerous phases by Ex.

The playing strategy for this season was spoken about in quite some depth. In the close season the coaches analysed the play of the top teams in England & France and came up with a set of new points to improve

Exit strategy
Aggressive defence
Dominant set piece
Conserving energy in games
Attacking Stategy

Injuries have again hampered progress. The attacking strategy was interesting and well thought out but I donít think it prudent to post it for other teams to see, but it made sense.

Luke Charteris spoke eloquently and interestingly stated that his worse games for Bath had come after playing for Wales with head full of calls etc from that environment.

A new attack coach should be in place for next season.

A lot of chat by Tarquin on the new stadium, I didnít realise we would not have to have any temporary East stand. Building to commence in 2 seasons with a few bumps in the road along the way, funded and developed by the Craig business.

An overview by the new Chairman of the Bath foundation on their work helping underprivileged and disabled children in Bath 1 in 5 children in Bath are born into poverty! The new stadium will greatly help their work.

Also some input on the forthcoming Toulon game. Luke Charteris gave some insight on playing Toulon having beaten them 4 times in one season with Racing. Unlike all other French clubs they target The European Champions Cup.

Todd said that we will bounce back well and both he and Luke said that some useful lessons had been learnt from the Exeter game.

Flou could be out for a while with a shoulder injury. Dave Attwoods injury is still a major concern.

One question raised about Talupeís release to play for Wales. The club had actually thought that the rule not allowing full release of players might be changed this year as several club owners are now in favour.

Some refereeing questions came in concerning the tip tackle Darren Edwards made light of this saying weíre heading for the Wild West this wkend!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2017 23:42 by Widcombe Boy.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

04 December, 2017 23:53
Regrettably Beergoggles, although invited, I couldn't make it and ask the question everyone wants an answer to. When is the Farleigh Spa Hotel going to be put on the market? We can use the money raised to buy 10/12 really ambitious rugby players from lower leagues who are truly hungry for success and prepared to work their socks off for the once world renowned privilege of running out on the Rec in the once universally respected B B & W? Just imagine that, a proper team who really want to play for each other and represent our once proud and famous club, took the field in our colours, without harping on about how much our opponents are paying and want to upgrade their Gieves and Hawkes suit and Loakes shoes. They would be happy in TK Max and shoes from Lidls. They would know they had to earn such privileges and be prepared to fight tooth and nail for them.

Also, I wonder what Bruce Craig thinks of all the recent events on the field, with no noticeable improvement over the last 2/3 seasons. Also, how much longer he is prepared to go on handing over a blank cheque to support the inconsistent play and dross served up by our very expensive, pampered squad of players.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 06:40
Lol BoB. Your Best. Post. Ever. Mad as a box of frogs. (Sm132)

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 06:44
Quote:
Widcombe Boy
Very good evening. No questions avoided other than Banners Contract which Todd said was a private matter. Banners has been offered a contract and it was now up to him. It was alluded that he had been offered double by another club.
Started with the Exeter game. Game plan was to physically dominate Exeter to prevent their momentum. Todd said the kicking game let us down and all kicks were supposed to be contestable which they were not and brought on multiple phases & hence 60 odd tackles, further mistakes led to further numerous phases by Ex.

The playing strategy for this season was spoken about in quite some depth. In the close season the coaches analysed the play of the top teams in England & France and came up with a set of new points to improve

Exit strategy
Aggressive defence
Dominant set piece
Attacking Stategy

Injuries have again hampered progress. The attacking strategy was interesting and well thought out but I donít think it prudent to post it for other teams to see, but it made sense.

Luke Charteris spoke eloquently and interestingly stated that his worse games for Bath had come after playing for Wales with head full of calls etc from that environment.

A lot of chat by Tarquin on the new stadium, I didnít realise we would not have to have any temporary East stand. Building to commence in 2 seasons with a few bumps in the road along the way, funded and developed by the Craig business.

An overview by the new Chairman of the Bath foundation on their work helping underprivileged and disabled children in Bath 1 in 5 children in Bath are born into poverty! The new stadium will greatly help their work.

Also some input on the forthcoming Toulon game. Luke Charteris gave some insight on playing Toulon having beaten them 4 times in one season with Racing. Unlike all other French clubs they target The European Champions Cup.

Todd said that we will bounce back well and both he and Luke said that some useful lessons had been learnt from the Exeter game.

Flou could be out for a while with a shoulder injury. Dave Attwoods injury is still a major concern.

One question raised about Talupeís release to play for Wales. The club had actually thought that the rule not allowing full release of players might be changed this year as several club owners are now in favour.

Some refereeing questions came in concerning the tip tackle Darren Edwards made light of this saying weíre heading for the Wild West this wkend!

Thank you Widcombe Boy for taking the time to post this. Appreciate it.

Cheers

Salmon

Adopted Player 17-18 & 16-17: Dave Attwood
Adopted Player 15-16: Matt Garvey

MESSAGES->author
callmeMrTibbs (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 07:18
Thank you Widcombe Boy for taking the time to post this. Appreciate it.

Cheers

Salmon[/quote]

Yes, much appreciated.

Was there any mention of recruitment, i.e. in which positions Todd feels we are short of depth?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 07:34
Thanks WidcombeBoy!

southgate
southgate (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 07:37
I didn't think we owned Farleigh house just leased it ,ref to BoBs post about selling it.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 07:51
Quote:
southgate
I didn't think we owned Farleigh house just leased it ,ref to BoBs post about selling it.

Whether Bath own it or not, selling wouldnt allow us to increase the salary cap. Itís just midnight mouth-foaming.

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 08:33
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
southgate

Whether Bath own it or not, selling wouldnt allow us to increase the salary cap. Itís just midnight mouth-foaming.

About a team who are in 4th place in the Premiership.

MESSAGES->author
Widcombe Boy (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 08:51
Recruitment didnt come up other than when Todd was asked what happened to the 7 players who were coming in, this was dealt with humourously. Todd did say that retention of players was the main thrust.

Nathan Charles is now back with us

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 08:54
Quote:
Widcombe Boy
Nathan Charles is now back with us

Makes sense. Also, are his options limited as he has already played for 2 prem teams this season?

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 08:54
Quote:
BathMatt53
Whether Bath own it or not, selling wouldn't allow us to increase the salary cap. Itís just midnight mouth-foaming

There was pretty much a full moon to howl at which possibly explains the timing of the post.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 08:59
Look everyone, BOB's posts are sometimes a bit off the wall, but I think we can all agree that the results on the field would improve markedly if the players got their shoes from Lidl.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 09:09
Quote:
woodpecker
Look everyone, BOB's posts are sometimes a bit off the wall, but I think we can all agree that the results on the field would improve markedly if the players got their shoes from Lidl.

Giggle.

Awp24975
Awp24975 (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 09:57
Damn...... I knew I had something on last night but couldnít remember what until reading this..... good news about Nathan Charles, not good about Francois!

MESSAGES->author
JimDaff (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 10:08
Quote:
woodpecker

I donít know about Lidl but Aldi had some very smart looking brogues in the other day, and for the more sartorially adventurous some chukka boots too.

by
by (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 10:21
Frustrating to hear about Louw, gets banned, plays for SA in what must have been their worst run of performances yet, comes back injured.

Bathovalballer

05 December, 2017 12:23
Excellent report Widcombe Boy, many thanks.

No Flouw, very bad news indeed. Any time span on that? In view of his non-starting against Wales, I wondered if he had been hurt.

Do we risk Underwood against Toulon or play the outmuscled Mercer at openside? May be better to play a back row of Faletau (if fit and not knackered), Garvey and Grant, with Mercer on the bench. Great shame Ellis is not fit as he did very well last season and is much more physical than Mercer.

What back row can we expect Toulon to play?

'Dave Attwoods injury is still a major concern.'Apart from being a major concern, is there any more detail on the cause or medical position and as it has not been operated upon after nearly 10 months, is it inoperable? Tragic news for Big Dave and the club as his strength, bulk and experience is sorely missed.

Also, as it is such a concern, are we looking to bring someone else in? Our pack are struggling without a physical presence like Atters and therefore his absence must be a priority for recruitment IMV. Without parity up front, most rugby games are lost.

'Started with the Exeter game. Game plan was to physically dominate Exeter to prevent their momentum. Todd said the kicking game let us down and all kicks were supposed to be contestable which they were not and brought on multiple phases & hence 60 odd tackles, further mistakes led to further numerous phases by Ex.

Lastly this made me wonder if our coaches had watched any of Exeter's play in recent times and know what our squad are capable of. I don't think any side has physically dominated Exeter, including those in Europe, and especially when they are at Sandy Park, for at least the last 5/6 seasons. Why did our coaches think a Bath pack,consistently bullied, out muscled and pushed around for much of the past 2/3 seasons, especially in the tackle and at the breakdown and without 3/4 of our best players, were ever going to dominate Exeter's 8 bruisers? Bizarre. I have heard of thinking out of the box and being positive, but that was and proved to be cloud cookoo land. Didn't anyone query it? Next we will be told we are going to dominate the Toulon 8 at Stade Mayol!!! Don't think so Bath.

I can understand the kicking game being tried, turning their big forwards, but our kick chase has again been often miss directed and the chase virtually non existent for some time. Biggsy used to chase hard but other than him, I struggle to remember who else.

And if that was the two major strategies, why oh why didn't we try something else, or do we just play by numbers. IMO that comes down to leadership on the pitch and again that was sadly lacking on Saturday.

Great report WB but many questions needing answers and urgent attention.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2017 12:47 by Bathovalballer.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 12:44
Quote:
by
Frustrating to hear about Louw, gets banned, plays for SA in what must have been their worst run of performances yet, comes back injured.

AGAIN!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 12:47
Quote:
Bathovalballer

'Dave Attwoods injury is still a major concern.'Apart from being a major concern, is there any more detail on the cause or medical position and as it has not been operated upon after nearly 10 months, is it inoperable? Tragic news for Big Dave and the club as his stength, bulk and experience is sorely missed.

I thought that they said last week that it was sorted and it was a hammy in training now? Or was that smoke and bull?

Bathovalballer

05 December, 2017 12:53
You tell me Matt. I don't know. Perhaps someone with 'inside knowledge' may be able to enlighten us.

Just cannot get out of my head our coaches saying/thinking we were going to dominate Exeter's pack!!!! Barmy!!!

MESSAGES->author
Widcombe Boy (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 12:55
Re: Dave Attwood pretty sure Todd said every time the knee is loaded it flares up. I thought he said it was bone on bone but canít be sure. Really doesnít sound good.
Underhill is still showing signs of concussion so I wouldnít expect him to play.
Thereís another STH forum tonight so maybe more info will come out

Bathovalballer

05 December, 2017 13:02
Re Atters. Very sorry to read what you write WB. Bone on bone must be agony and not good for a long term prognosis.I am not a doctor, but surely if he is ever going to return to full fitness, he must undergo surgery. If so, why have we not got on with it? Or does he face having a full knee replacement? Sounds very sadly, for all concerned, very bad indeed.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 13:13
Sounds as Charteris contribution was the most worthwhile giving up an evening for.
Rather like BoB, I am at a loss if what is reported on Todd's assessment of Exeter for the pre-match analysis is accurate.

The Sandy Park encounter wasn't the first time that I got the impression that they had the wrong game plan. As said for years now, so not just concerning the current coaching team = what do they do all week? p.s. makes me a tad cynical - coz the main team are all on 100,000's a year. My grandson's Under 13's coach would do a better job!

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 13:50
BoB - that you're not a doctor is far more important to the issue than your assertion that he MUST undergo surgery.

Is what he has operable? Is what he has manageable with conservative care? Exactly what surgery are you saying that he MUST undergo? Is it possible that any operation would spell the end of his career instantly?

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

by
by (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 13:57
Its backroom staff that feed information back to the coaches for them to formulate a game plan. I'm sure they watched Exeter's loss against Gloucester and their game against Quins who run them very close recently, both of those games Exeter's pack were shackled through defensive line speed and pure physicality of the tackles.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 13:57
This was his view in April - that surgery was not needed.

[www.bathchronicle.co.uk]

Then they were of the same view in August:

Then 6 days ago:

Dave Attwood returned to training after his long-term knee issue but felt tightness in his quad, which has set his recovery back.

There is still no return date for the lock who hasn't played since May.

All a bit odd. Pretty sure they (and the insurance company) will have their very best people on it though!

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 14:00
Quote:
Which Tyler
BoB - that you're not a doctor is far more important to the issue than your assertion that he MUST undergo surgery.
Is what he has operable? Is what he has manageable with conservative care? Exactly what surgery are you saying that he MUST undergo? Is it possible that any operation would spell the end of his career instantly?

He clearly needs to undergo complete knee replacement immediately, today and whilst he's there he might as well get the other one done

Bathovalballer

05 December, 2017 14:22
First of all I want Dave to recover so he is able to lead a normal life, whether or not he ever plays again.

If, as it is reported, he has bone on bone which must be extremely painful and debilitating (having had something similar myself), I cannot see how he can make any form of recovery without some form of surgical intervention/repair. Obviously those experts are on the case and I only hope they are right, but you have to wonder after all this time, is the treatment correct? I fully appreciate any intervention could end his career, and, more importantly, effect his ability to lead a normal life. I just wish him well and all the luck in the world.

In the meantime, the club should be looking for a similar player to replace Atters(even temporarily) if he is not able to resume his playing career very soon.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 14:27
errr, like this one proposed this time last year?

[www.iol.co.za]

yes please!

Bathovalballer

05 December, 2017 14:31
He would be my choice Matt.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 14:37
pretty sure he was asking for silly money last year so depends on how much is left in the kitty.

besides which sarries were after him for injury cover (they got skelton) and with itoje injured maybe they will go back for him?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2017 14:39 by BathMatt53.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 22:24
I don't care how they formulate a gameplan for the next Premiership team - they could study tealeaves for all I care, but as tens of thousands of pounds are beinglaid out in staff and equipment costs I'd say Mr Craig is not getting good value for money.

How on earth did we win games at all 20 years ago? O yes, the players got fit, used their brains, played as a united team and never gave up.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

05 December, 2017 23:37
Any insight into our p1ss poor ball retention and 35%ish avg possession leading to us being 10th in the table for tries scored?

Quote:
Bathovalballer
I don't think any side has physically dominated Exeter, including those in Europe, and especially when they are at Sandy Park, for at least the last 5/6 seasons. Why did our coaches think a Bath pack,consistently bullied, out muscled and pushed around for much of the past 2/3 seasons, especially in the tackle and at the breakdown and without 3/4 of our best players, were ever going to dominate Exeter's 8 bruisers?

One of your best BoB. No team in the past five or six YEARS has ever out muscled Exeter. Good to know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2017 23:38 by ballsout.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

06 December, 2017 00:29
Quote:
Widcombe Boy

Exit strategy
Aggressive defence
Dominant set piece
Attacking Stategy

Nice summary, WB, thank you.

A quick question about your comment about the East Stand. Does it mean that we will have no temporary East Stand whilst the building work is ongoing, or no East Stand at all in the final design (ie a horseshoe shaped stadium)?

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

MESSAGES->author
Widcombe Boy (IP Logged)

06 December, 2017 10:00
Joe, When the new stadium is built there will be no requirement for a temporary east stand.

Eastbath
Eastbath (IP Logged)

07 December, 2017 09:54
So are we saying we are just going to take more of the rec and any previous commitment to having a removable stand for the cricket is out the window?
Whats changed that this is possible now but hasn't been for the last n years?
Have the fiends realised this?

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

07 December, 2017 10:27
What has changed? This:

ďA court decision made by the First-tier Tribunal (General Regulatory Chamber - Charity) in December 2016 confirmed that the Bath Recreation Ground Trust is the legal landlord of the famous piece of land.

It can "sell, lease, license or otherwise dispose of" all or any part of the Rec as it works to achieve its charitable objectives, including providing "outdoor recreational facilities for the benefit of the public".Ē

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

07 December, 2017 10:30
Quote:
Eastbath
So are we saying we are just going to take more of the rec and any previous commitment to having a removable stand for the cricket is out the window?
Whats changed that this is possible now but hasn't been for the last n years?
Have the fiends realised this?

The appeal court allowed the Rec Trust to have overall control of the Rec and do as they please as long as it is in the interests of the Charity. The open space was not deemed to be sacrosanct so there is no longer a need for a temp stand.

The fiends realise this as they lost the appeal. The Trust can lease more land to the Club and even sell the land. It's an entirely new ball game!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

07 December, 2017 10:55
So, if the fiends hadnít kicked up such a rumpus that might have been better off?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net