rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

Re: Toulon Game
09 December, 2017 20:58
It was encouraging and definitely a step forward. Attack seemed like a definite improvement - Tapuai a key part of that pattern. BUT, Chris Cook lapsing into the really bad old habits of two seasons ago with that brainfart yellow card and Khan's poor judgement/execution both led directly to tries for them. We should have won that game and it's frustrating that we didn't.

MESSAGES->author
liquidmonkey (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 21:29
Quote:
BathBurger
Quote:
BathMatt53
Wow, that is pretty negative. I thought that the players really worked their socks off and looked dangerous in attack. They also didnít kick the ball away. OK we didnít beat Toulon in their backyard and had a couple of brainfarts (about as many as them) but we gave it a bluddy good go IMO. Massive improvement over last week leaves me optimistic.

+ 1

If some are being called "appeasers", there needs to be a nickname who refuse to be anything but negative in defeat and even victory often. Well played Bath, encouraging stuff.

There is a nickname it's just not allowed in this forum.

The measure may be thought bold, but I am of the opinion the boldest are the safest.
Horatio Nelson

Adopted players:
2018-19 Tom Homer
2017-18 Freddie Burns
2016-17 Nick Auterac
2015-16 Guy Mercer
2014-15 Juan Pablo Orlandi

MESSAGES->author
Garbageman (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 21:35
Quote:
BathBurger
Quote:
BathMatt53
Wow, that is pretty negative. I thought that the players really worked their socks off and looked dangerous in attack. They also didnít kick the ball away. OK we didnít beat Toulon in their backyard and had a couple of brainfarts (about as many as them) but we gave it a bluddy good go IMO. Massive improvement over last week leaves me optimistic.

+ 1

If some are being called "appeasers", there needs to be a nickname who refuse to be anything but negative in defeat and even victory often. Well played Bath, encouraging stuff.

Yeah appeasers is a word used by one poster quite a bit, funnily enough the same guy who moans about 'puerile insults' on another thread. I have a name for people like that... Well played Bath, looking forward to Saturday.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 22:13
"there needs to be a nickname who refuse to be anything but negative in defeat and even victory often. "

I'm probably missing some genuinely nice and positive people, I apologise we know it's not you, but filtering posts whose moniker begin 'bo' seems to work in general.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

09 December, 2017 23:15
Personally I think this is a wonderful result and at last we showed what we can do if we are all tuned in and turned on.

Regrettably, I didn't see the game but have had contact with a number of people who did and were there.

It appears our physicality was much improved, and with a smidgen of more luck, could have just sneaked it. I was told we saw very little ball in the second half, and were poor in decision making and execution in the last 10 mins or so. Up till his yellow card, I am told Cookie played really well and similarly, until the last few mins, so did Priestland.

It sounds a huge, unexpected improvement over the Exe debacle and congratulations to all those who took part. Some, including a French friend, even said they saw Bath showing some pride and no little skill. That is great news and to be celebrated. If we can repeat this display next weekend, a W is definitely on the cards. In fact it is essential if we are to get out of the group.

However, I understand Faletau has taken a bad knock which is both worrying and disappointing. Anyone know what his problem is although I understand Todd mentioned it 'didn't look good' in a post match interview?

MESSAGES->author
Toulon fan (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 07:08
Bath played it perfectly well, with heart and a lot of engagement till the last minute.

I'm of course more worried about Toulon behavior, which lack of physicallity and game plan were as much abysmal for this match as the previous games this season.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 07:24
BoB, it looked like TF did something to his left knee whilst being cleared out to me? Nothing illegal, just looked like it got twisted or caught under him or something similar.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 07:49
Not sure whether to be happy at much improved performance and an important LBP or down because it was definitely there to be won

Confused!

But doesn't sound good for Faletau from early reports

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 09:05
Not sure I have ever heard TB be more critical of the officiating really unlike him, but having watched the game twice he has so much too be upset with, apart from he obvious lack of consistency around the breakdown do not believe we got one penalty there, then there was a confusing decision at a mall, where the referee tells LC he is legal and then penalises him, another the clear professional foul, deliberate knock on as we were about to score then obviously the clear out of TF by MB. Cannot recall seeing Matt GARVEY spend so much time remonstrating and quizzing the referee on his decision making - and by the letter of the law Yes Toulons try should have been disallowed for obstruction as Banners was clearly impeded on making a tackle - not that IMHO we would have stopped the score - but by the letter of the law it should not have stood and the referee should have referred it....Again as Chris Ashton made his dart for the line and stopped by the brilliant Paul GRANT clearly makes two or three efforts to score - CLANCY (a so called International referee) clearly states it is more than one movement - Penalty - yet between all of them they come up with no clear and obvious issues and give a scrum to Toulon who eventually score.

Again Irish officials who are clearly not up to refereeing at this level, hopefully TF will not be out too long and MB will be cited.

Like I said TB just does not criticise referees so you know he is incensed by this performance from the Irish officials.

Excellent performance from the lads and looking forward to next week with different proficient officials - Nigel Owens please

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 09:53 by Ali1969.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 09:09
Wonderful performance. Waking up in Toulon today very proud of the boys, but gutted by the result.

Some usually unsung lads really came of age - Obano immense, Dunn simply everywhere, Stooke mighty, Grant huge, Brew just brilliant.

Commitment and effort from 1 to 23 off the scale and we attacked beautifully, with great shape, invention and patience.

Weíll have our revenge at home next week. Canít wait for it! Allez Bath!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 09:12
When would MB be cited? He went straight off his feet sure, but he came through the gate and used his arms? He was holding on the TFs back. The knock-on was deliberate IMO.

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 09:43
Having watched the clear out twice more MB did not go through the gate he flew in off his feet from the side - yes he wrapped his arms and that made the TV official believe it was a neck roll. He could well be cited for reckless play have seen less reckless play cited.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 09:54
For me it was a penalty, nothing more. Just a shame he is such a...ahem...'unit' and the result put TF out.

by
by (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 10:34
Brew has been absolutely fantastic for us.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 10:54
There were some fantastic performances by Bath players I agree. Too many to mention without unfairly leaving out others. The scrum, the defence against the huge Toulon team, the way our wingers had theirs in all sorts of trouble, etc etc.

That doesnít take away from the fact we lost the game when it was very winnable and that is not the mark of a team likely to challenge for anything.

For me that was a game with lots of positives to say but to focus on those alone is to ignore the way we collapsed under the pressure of winning. Cook losing his head, Kahn passing to Isa, Priestland not finding touch after a turnover and then kicking dead from a penalty, a succession of average pick and drives with apparently no-one using their brains and an inevitable turnover as we werenít protecting the ball.

We can blame the referee but frankly he let LOADS go on both sides and this made for a much more entertaining game. Iím pretty sure our first try came from a forward pass from JJ for example.

We tried really hard and came out full of p!ss and vinegar, but we didnít have the quality to turn that into a win. Not the end of the world, a good BP away to a Toulon side who are a shadow of their former selves. Proud of the boys? Effort yes, performance not yet for me.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 11:30
Well ken jnr at least the performance was a huge improvement over the first 60 minutes in Exeter. Gives one hope.

The ref was poor (as was the TMO) for both sides, although his non decisions did effect us more IMO.

Still trying to be positive, onwards and upwards.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 12:01
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Well ken jnr at least the performance was a huge improvement over the first 60 minutes in Exeter. Gives one hope.
The ref was poor (as was the TMO) for both sides, although his non decisions did effect us more IMO.

Still trying to be positive, onwards and upwards.

Loads of positives, definitely. Just making a counter point to those who feel yesterday was immune to criticism.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 12:17
Quote:
Bathovalballer

BoB, you didn't see the game - how can your opinion be that it didn't affect us?

The thing only that I thought was harsh (on both teams) was him blowing for not rolling away within about 1/2 second! Happened to Obano and Vermeulen in particular, both of whom were clearly attempting to free themselves despite being sat on. The only one that could have changed the game was the deliberate knock on for yellow by Toulon (and possible blocking on Banners although they had about 3 men over anyway).

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 12:50
Not sure if it was the case, but from our position in the ground the officials seemed to miss a number of forward passes, one of which ultimately led to their first try.

Having said that at least they tried to let the game flow as much as possible.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 14:03
We complain with over use of the TMO, but yesterday the ref should have used it more, although it doesn't help when the TMO clearly is ignorant of some of the laws!!

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 16:08
Quote:
dr.bath1865
we attacked beautifully, with great shape, invention and patience.

Lol

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 18:44
36% possession once again.
A mammoth 216 tackles needed
33% territory

As Dan Evans from the Chron puts it:

Quote:
The frustration for Bath should be that when they had the ball they did real damage but, yet again, they came off second best in the possession stats.

Same old same old. A game we could have easily won with clearer heads, better basics and better (any?) ball retention.

[www.bathchronicle.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 18:45 by ballsout.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 18:49
Did you assume that we would go to Toulon and dominate territory and possession?

(Exeter have just made 222 tackles against Leinster)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 18:53 by BathMatt53.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 19:13
Quote:
BathMatt53
Did you assume that we would go to Toulon and dominate territory and possession?

And lost. Leinster dominated possession and won pretty comfortably.

We scrape through games with 35% possession and territory pretty much every single week. So frustrating.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 19:23
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
BathMatt53

We scrape through games with 35% possession and territory pretty much every single week. So frustrating.

You seem to have ignored BathMatts original question.

Furthermore you suggest we scrape through games on limited possession (i.e. We win those games), then complain about the possession rather than acknowledging a hard fought win.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 19:29
I agree fully that we shouldnít be having stats like that particularly against the weaker teams and when we are at home.

However...I donít think that we can be that surprised about those stats yesterday.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 19:30
Quote:
BathBurger
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
BathMatt53

You seem to have ignored BathMatts original question.

Furthermore you suggest we scrape through games on limited possession (i.e. We win those games), then complain about the possession rather than acknowledging a hard fought win.

I didn't expect us to go over and dominate possession and territory, I expected us to maybe one day this season hit 40%, long shot 50%, and thought maybe this was the weekend to do it.

I fully acknowledge hard fought wins. Treviso at home for instance. Doesn't mean I think it's any way encouraging or worthy of saying we played "beautiful" rugby.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 19:38 by ballsout.

seatonian
seatonian (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 19:36
For me this game showed a massive improvement from the guys but highlighted the futures of two players. Ben Tapui has to stay. Good in attack and defence ,An experienced player who we need for depth in the squad. Chris Cook has learned nothing . Another yellow card which I believe cost us the game. We need a top flight 9 and Cook if he stays should be no more than 3rd choice back up. He does many good things but costs us games. I am sure many on this forum will not agree but that is the strength of this forum.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 19:50
Yes, I for one disagree. He has learned a lot, you only need to watch the Sarries game to see that. The problem is that he hasnít un-learned his habit of doing instinctive silly things. You only had to see his face in the bin to see that he was thinking Ďwhy the hell did I do that?í(Probably the same as Kahn thought a bit later on).

I suspect that Tapuai is on far too much cash to be there for squad depth. He is a great player though and the team plays better with him there imo. But I guess itís about balancing books under a cap.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 20:09
There were a number of key moments I saw which, in my opinion, cost us the match:

1) There was no ďtaking one for the teamĒfrom Cookís yellow. It was plain stupid and left the channel open for his oppo to score. I so want to like Chris Cook, but the brain farts he have racked up to the extent I just donít think he learns from them and can only conclude heís not very bright.

cool smiley in the build up to one of Toulonís tries, there was a clear obstruction that prevented our defender from tackling the runner. The ref didnít see it, play went on, Toulon scored. Iím uncomfortable criticising a referee mainly because he or she knows more about the laws than I ever will, but I donít think he gave us a lot yesterday and was quite lax on the home side.

iii) During our efforts to pick and drive toward the end, Kahn picked up just to the right of the sticks and the defence left a huge gap. A burst of strength and he was under. He didnít see it, passed the ball, which ended up being intercepted and play went down the other end of the pitch.

All very frustrating. We lost that match when we really shouldíve won.

stephen4944
stephen4944 (IP Logged)

10 December, 2017 21:47
Quote:
@Hydor18
There were a number of key moments I saw which, in my opinion, cost us the match:
1) There was no ďtaking one for the teamĒfrom Cookís yellow. It was plain stupid and left the channel open for his oppo to score. I so want to like Chris Cook, but the brain farts he have racked up to the extent I just donít think he learns from them and can only conclude heís not very bright.

cool smiley in the build up to one of Toulonís tries, there was a clear obstruction that prevented our defender from tackling the runner. The ref didnít see it, play went on, Toulon scored. Iím uncomfortable criticising a referee mainly because he or she knows more about the laws than I ever will, but I donít think he gave us a lot yesterday and was quite lax on the home side.

iii) During our efforts to pick and drive toward the end, Kahn picked up just to the right of the sticks and the defence left a huge gap. A burst of strength and he was under. He didnít see it, passed the ball, which ended up being intercepted and play went down the other end of the pitch.

All very frustrating. We lost that match when we really shouldíve won.

Can't argue with any of these.
I feel Chris Cook has improved really well with his speed of delivery, but the silly yellows keep coming from him.

There was an obstruction on Banners, and despite others comments about "they would have scored anyway", well that doesn't really matter, he was in front of the ball a prevented Banners tackling the ball carrier, doesn't matter what might have happened.

I can remember shouting at the screen that Kahn should have gone for the line in our attack with a fe minutes to go, that eventually led to their intercept.

I also agree with the other comments around the intentional knock on and the double movement. No idea why neither were not given as penalties. I mean, the knock on was over head height with a single hand, it could not have possibly been an attempted intercept!

Though I would add that we were only ahead at the end due to the biggest own goal I've seen a team impose on themselves with the amateurish quick throw in followed by Ashton's hilarious attempted clearance kick. Not by any of our own inspiring attacking play.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 07:45
I don't think banners was obstructed, he wasn't near enough to be making the tackle.

Generally, I thought the commentary was worse than the ref. They just made more of things that weren't really illegal. Which is frustrating when watching live as you buy into them when they're are going with your team and dismiss them when they are against your team.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 07:51
We are a 7th placed qualifier for the last 8 after 3 rounds with 9pts; Exeter and Ulster are 8th= with 8pts. See BBC page with tables; still fancy us to make the last eight this season. A win in the home fixture v Toulon is within our capabilities. COUB...

Adopted players: 2018/19 Michael Van Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 08:59
I think the Banners thing would have been a penalty 10 years ago but not now. I think we'd have been frustrated if it was chalked off against us.

The true point here is that none of the effort matters if we can't win at home this weekend.

by
by (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 09:08
Just reading the stats in the chronicle, 31 tackles made by Dunn, 29 made by Grant.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 09:20
Absolutely terrific performance by the boys in one of the hardest places in Europe to go and take points. Other than maybe at the Allianz and Clermont's ground there are no harder places to go in the Champions cup and come away with anything.

I understand why some of the more negative comments are disappointed given we were so close to potentially winning but I think what I would say is fair play to Toulon as they got a bit of the rub of the green with the ref made two big plays at the end, one to read the intercept and one to knock the ball between the defence and score, which proved the slight difference.

We should be really proud of that performance though as there was 110% commitment from every single one of the boys and some of the guys we perhaps have underestimated, like Paul Grant or Brew perhaps, really proved their worth.

If anything all that result has done is made me even more excited to welcome them to the Rec next week where if the boys put in another performance like that we will cheer them over the line!!!

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 09:27
I have yet to see the match, forgot to record it (Sm164)...

Adopted players: 2018/19 Michael Van Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 09:34
Quote:
Big Dog
We should be really proud of that performance though as there was 110% commitment from every single one of the boys and some of the guys we perhaps have underestimated, like Paul Grant or Brew perhaps, really proved their worth.

100% commitment should be a given and is the minimum expected of the players. Toulon were hopeless and we still contrived to lose. Dunn is playing brilliantly, I just wish he didn't have to make 20+ tackles every single week.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 10:00
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
Big Dog

100% commitment should be a given and is the minimum expected of the players. Toulon were hopeless and we still contrived to lose. Dunn is playing brilliantly, I just wish he didn't have to make 20+ tackles every single week.

Not sure they were hopeless. Made two or three 80+ meter breaks, plus Nonu and Basteruad were creating line breaks or gainline successes all game. We were nowhere near perfect but let's not pretend that Toulon didn't have some part to play in our defeat. There were plenty of positives to take away from the game as well as a LBP which majority on this board said they would be happy with. Now we have to focus on a win this Saturday.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 11:06
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
Big Dog

Perhaps if we all turned up to the Rec and were as passionate and supportive as the Toulon crowd then we would win more games even the times when we are not quite on the money? They are like a 16th man for that Toulon team.

I do find it ridiculous that after one of our finest away performances of recent years people on here are still finding ways to pick our guys performance apart. Better teams than us have gone to Toulon and been beaten by larger margins and performed much worse, so for us to lose out at the death to a very neat piece of skill is no problem in my eyes.

Given most of the more negative people on here were ruling out even a losing bonus point why don't we just take that happily and look forward to this week back home. If you actually get behind the team this weekend and make the Rec a cauldron perhaps the boys will get across the line?!

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 12:31
Just put my tickets up on ticket exchange for next week (2 x west stand block e, open)

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 13:00
Quote:
Big Dog
Perhaps if we all turned up to the Rec and were as passionate and supportive as the Toulon crowd then we would win more games even the times when we are not quite on the money? They are like a 16th man for that Toulon team.

+1

By comparison the Rec is like a library

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 13:23
Only 13500 there as well. Mind you those French are tewwwibly uncouth.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 16:24
Quote:
BathMatt53
Only 13500 there as well. Mind you those French are tewwwibly uncouth.

Toulon fans remind me of some of my friends who are Tiggers supporters. Such strong supporters of their side that they are close to the point of being utterly belligerent. Won't accept any fault of their team and instead will list multiple variables such as referee decisions, cheating opposition, blind linemen etc etc, when they suffer defeat.

We on the other hand, even when our team plays one of their best games of the season are still never happy with the players, the coaches etc and immediately fingers get pointed on here (Sm100)

I wonder what I'd prefer if I was a player...?

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 17:35
If it's any consolation, Bath came out with the narrowest defeat of any Premiership team, at the weekend!

redmix
redmix (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 14:57
here's all Toulon results this season. Not totally consistent, but some remarkable wins and a few close games against teams that have done very very well in Europe and the leaders of the TOP14. Do not under estimate how well Bath did to come so close

Toulon 24 20 Bath
Toulon 39 11 Lyon
Castres 20 19 Toulon
Toulon 29 40 Racing 92
Agen 26 24 Toulon
Toulon 41 24 Brive
Benetton Rugby 29 30 Toulon
Toulon 21 20 Scarlets
Bordeaux-Begles 30 27 Toulon
Toulon 26 20 La Rochelle
Stade Francais 15 19 Toulon
Montpellier 43 20 Toulon
Toulon 20 16 Toulouse
Clermont Auvergne 21 16 Toulon
Toulon 41 14 Pau

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 16:35
In broader context, fine. In the context of the game we actually played we should have won.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 16:44
Quote:
hasta
In broader context, fine. In the context of the game we actually played we should have won.

That could be said for a couple of other games this season as well.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 16:52
..and we probably should have lost to Tigers with 12 / 13 men on the pitch at the end. Swings and roundabouts.

Bath Supporter Jack

12 December, 2017 22:57
I was there........and as I said to Mr Blackadder after the game I am really looking forward to the return game at the Rec.

However as above what a venue!

MESSAGES->author
Widcombe Boy (IP Logged)

13 December, 2017 10:13
French crowds are just superb anyone watch The La Rochelle v Wasps game. Awesome team with a fanatical crowd.
Real shame but The Rec will never be a cauldron. As my sons says ĎToo posh to chantí

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net