rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

22Dropout
22Dropout (IP Logged)

Faletau Injury
11 December, 2017 09:31
..anybody seen any update. The only thing I've seen is Todd saying it didn't look good, and he hoped it wasn't the same knee he injured last year? I cannot imagine he could possibly play next week, and he'll be sorely missed, even though Paul Grant (who had his best game in BBW), and Zac were excellent.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

Re: Faletau Injury
11 December, 2017 09:34
I wouldn't be shocked if he were out for ~3 months.

fat lock
fat lock (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 10:02
The usual pattern is he'll be fit just in time for 6 nations, play in that, and then tweak it in the last game and then be out for the rest of the season.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 10:16
That'll be £60,000 well spent on the fine for him not playing for us against Exe then.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 11:07
Quote:
Beergoggles
That'll be £60,000 well spent on the fine for him not playing for us against Exe then.

Not sure what that really has to do with it? I could understand if he had been injured on international duty outside the window and we had been hit with the fine AND lost the player...

by
by (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 11:30
He said it was ligament damage and doesnít look good for next week at least. I reckon it could be a couple of months at least.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 11:54
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Beergoggles

Not sure what that really has to do with it? I could understand if he had been injured on international duty outside the window and we had been hit with the fine AND lost the player..

Bruce : "Bit blooky annoying that we didn't have TF to help us stave off the complete hiding we took from Exeter last week and we have to shell out a £60k fine so we'll have to cut back on the Bolly at the Christmas party".

Toddy : "The players will be gutted cause they like a bit of Bolly to swig in those Gucci loafers that BathOvalBaller recommended but at least we'll have the best No 8 in Northern Hemisphere to help us climb the table and get through to the European Quarter Finals"

Bruce and Toddy both nod sagely and look into the distance ....

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 12:57
How many injuries are we prepared to accept?

I say "we" deliberately in that we are getting to see less and less of our highly paid individuals -for whatever reason.

The squad does not operate as a unit as consistency of performance simply does not and cannot exist.

A lot is made of player injuries around all the clubs but surely Bath has the claim to be worst hit.
The last season and a half has seen serious (long-term) injury after injury.
Someone should be launching an investigation as to what exactly is happening.
By now this has to be a bit more than simple coincidence.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 13:05
As good as players like Faletau are & the fact that they can be match winners I am beginning to question their value to the team. We lose them for large chunks of the season, it messes up their trainng/playing routines making them more susceptible to injury, they cost a great deal of money & we have to pay heavy fines on top for NOT playing for us. Seems like a lose, lose situation.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 13:21
Does the money really matter when they are a marquee? Itís either one expensive player or another...

Given that money is, in theory, no object for a marquee why wouldnít you get the best you can? Ideally someone in their prime and not away for internationals (Iím thinking Pitau) but these are like hens teeth.

Olly_L
BathLad (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 13:30
Unfortunately, the resting of and allowance for Faletau to have been recuperated after a full on 10 months wouldn't have any bearing on this injury. He took a cheap shot from the prop that plays 13, no wonder he's injured his medial ligament.

England and Saracens have demonstrated how important, post Lions tour, resting players is. Eddie Jones decided to leave Itoje and Farrell out of the opening November international yet that hasn't prevented Itoje picking up an unfortunate facial injury possibly ruling him out of the opening Six Nations games. This highlights that within our sport the resting of a player doesnít of course negate the risk of injury.

Had Taulupe suffered a muscular injury or fatigue induced injury perhaps there would be a claim for neglectful use of him Ė having played in all games heís been available to us in but Newcastle at home as well as all 4 autumn internationals for wales. However, this I highly doubt has had any affect or impact on the cause of his injury nor severity of injury.

Harlequins are the worst hit by injuries by some distance and Wasps are seeming to finally be coming through a period of losing almost the entirety of their back row and back line resources. Course weíve been unfortunate however with the increasing abrasiveness of the premiership and of course the usual strains caused by the intensities of European and International rugby every team seems to be having busier physio rooms on a Monday morning than usual.

Olly_L
BathLad (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 13:31
Also injuries happen, deal with it.

Rugggerss
Rugggerss (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 14:40
Quote:
Bath Hammer
As good as players like Faletau are & the fact that they can be match winners I am beginning to question their value to the team. We lose them for large chunks of the season, it messes up their trainng/playing routines making them more susceptible to injury, they cost a great deal of money & we have to pay heavy fines on top for NOT playing for us. Seems like a lose, lose situation.

How does being away for international games make them more prone to injury? Injury is just a part of everyday sport, you don't plan to get injured.

It is not a lose, lose situation to me, because we knew what would happen when we would sign Faletau. We knew he would be away for international games, even though he was out for a bit last season, to be fair to the chap, whenever he's played for Bath, he always gives his all and have not seen him have a bad game for BBW....yet. Heavy fines? Shouldn't it be heavy fine?Give him a chance and I'm sure he'll make up for the "heavy fines"

robhumperson
Humpo (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 15:30
Surely you cannot be saying Faletau isn't worth it?

He is our only genuine world class player (in the conversation of getting into a World XV), and we are an infinitely better side with him in it. Changes every game he is in, and takers our pack from a decent one to a good one.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

11 December, 2017 16:28
Quote:
Beergoggles
Bruce : "Bit blooky annoying that we didn't have TF to help us stave off the complete hiding we took from Exeter last week and we have to shell out a £60k fine so we'll have to cut back on the Bolly at the Christmas party".

Toddy : "The players will be gutted cause they like a bit of Bolly to swig in those Gucci loafers that BathOvalBaller recommended but at least we'll have the best No 8 in Northern Hemisphere to help us climb the table and get through to the European Quarter Finals"

Bruce and Toddy both nod sagely and look into the distance ....

They have already had the Christmas party last week after that Exeter game so I don't think this will be an issue!! (Sm100)

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 14:48
Out for 12-16 weeks sad smiley

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 14:50
Confirmation from Offy:

[www.bathrugby.com]

PG

P G Tips

Paul Grant: my adopted Player, 2017-18.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 14:51
Disaster

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 15:07
Rugby figures just don't stack up. The players know the risks, their career is short - so they look for the money. Can't blame 'em. The club fights to offer a good product by signing these players under the cap and foots the bill by shifting the cost to the punter - via expensive tickets, merchandise or subscription TV. The players get injured, the club loses matches and the punter gets to watch academy players / guys we sign on emergency short term deals. This ship isn't sustainable!

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 15:08
Iíve not seen the game, nor the incident. Should Bastareaud be or have been carded or cited?

ShortyinBurnham
ShortyinBurnham (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 15:10
He came in from the side at a ruck, so should have been penalised. I am not sure it would have been a yellow card, but as it caused an injury maybe that will have a bearing.

Think that he would have had to have been cited by now though, so unlikely anything will happen.

Awp24975
Awp24975 (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 15:13
Quote:
Rawce
Iíve not seen the game, nor the incident. Should Bastareaud be or have been carded or cited?

Penalty, not a yellow card nor a citing. One of those things that happen many times during a game, just unlucky that a serious injury as a result.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 15:20
Fair enough, just wondering if it was a cheap shot or not.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 15:23
Quote:
P G Tips
Confirmation from Offy:
[www.bathrugby.com]

PG

Let's hope the club get in a medical replacement that's near to his quality otherwise we're screwed.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 15:26
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
P G Tips
Confirmation from Offy:
[www.bathrugby.com]

PG

Let's hope the club get in a medical replacement that's near to his quality otherwise we're screwed.

Lol!

22Dropout
22Dropout (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 15:32
12-16 weeks out must mean we would qualify for a medical joker? Any thoughts on who might be willing and able to step in?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 15:38
South African would be my guess. That short term Wasps 8 did (Nizaam Carr?) really well the other day - let hope we can find one of those and Flouw can convince them to spend a few months here...

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 15:43
Quote:
BathMatt53
South African would be my guess. That short term Wasps 8 did (Nizaam Carr?) really well the other day - let hope we can find one of those and Flouw can convince them to spend a few months here...

Coming to the UK when it's freezing cold and/or wet all the time will surely be irresistible to anyone from the SH... [:wor kid:]

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

by
by (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 15:52
I highly doubt weíll get an injury replacement, Grant and Mercer will have to step up.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 15:55
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
BathMatt53

Coming to the UK when it's freezing cold and/or wet all the time will surely be irresistible to anyone from the SH... [:wor kid:]

Yes I'm sure that will be their first concern - wouldn't want to play rugby when its wet.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 16:02
I don't recall the injury being anyone's fault, I think he was rolled sideways off the top of a ruck and his leg got caught under him and the other player. The way they plant their feet wide to jackal over the ball this can happen I think.

22Dropout
22Dropout (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 16:32
What's David Pocock doing these days? If I recall he was returning in 2018 to Brumbies, but not sure if he's still in Japan now, or free for phone calls?

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 16:38
In Grant and Zach Mercer I believe we have ample cover at 8. Hopefully Louw or Underhill will become available again for us in the coming weeks though to relieve the loss of star quality which Faletau undoubtedly brings.

Really disappointed for Taulupe himself. He was in terrific form for us when he came back from injury at the end of last year, impressed on the Lions tour and was great thus far this year. I hope he recovers as quickly as possible and can get out on the pitch again as he's been great for us when fit.

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 16:44
Quote:
Big Dog
In Grant and Zach Mercer I believe we have ample cover at 8.

The problem being that they have been covering the flanks recently. Underhills head issues are continuing according to Todd B. We really could do with Ellis back ASAP, I hope that his recovery is going well.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 16:55
A shame. Hopefully he'll be fit and rested for the business end of the season!

Louw is fit for this weekend. Underhill is not. Grant is in good form anyway at 8 and whilst he's not Faletau-class, he won't let us down.

Where's Amanaki Mafi got to?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 16:59
Terrorising the physios at Melbourne Rebels. Good player, shame he allegedly acted like a tool.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 17:11
My principal hope would be that he rehabs it properly to minimise chance of recurrence, and future damage, rather than race back to play for Wales sooner than is healthy.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 20:56
[www.thetimes.co.uk]
Took the words right out of my mouth

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 December, 2017 21:25
Yes itís definitely a worry if 11 of the 12 are making such losses. Trouble is, it doesnít work in isolation as the French teams will simply recruit all the best players and then the TV revenues wonít be as steep as people wonít be watching the stars play?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net