rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Jonny Fantastic
Jonny Fantastic (IP Logged)

Ref for Saturday
14 December, 2017 14:46
None other than the top man himself, Mr. Nigel Owens!

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

Re: Ref for Saturday
14 December, 2017 15:54
There's lovely for the BB&W...

Adopted players: 2018/19 Michael Van Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

MESSAGES->author
trikidiki (IP Logged)

14 December, 2017 16:36
There's lovely for a fair game of rugby.

I don't expect Nige to do us any great favours.

Hamptonite
Hamptonite (IP Logged)

14 December, 2017 17:38
It’s not favours we need from Nigel - just consistency in decision making, which he normally does!

There probably won’t be endless scrums either because players know exactly what he wants from them!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

14 December, 2017 18:54
Quote:
Hamptonite
It’s not favours we need from Nigel - just consistency in decision making, which he normally does!
There probably won’t be endless scrums either because players know exactly what he wants from them!

+1

No excuses about the ref if we lose

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

14 December, 2017 19:31
Last match he was on the Rec, and I have great respect for him and his reffing normally, he was an Assistant Ref. Missed a few too. Trust he will be on top form and not stand any nonsense from the 'megastar' mercenaries. (Sm159)

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 December, 2017 20:09
Did you see him making an effort to thank Slimani last weekend for scrumming in line with Owens pre-match talk? The guy is a ref legend!

MESSAGES->author
trikidiki (IP Logged)

16 December, 2017 14:21
Great clip of Nigel singing 'Rivers of Babylon' on the way home from his match last weekend shown on Rugby Tonight this week. Refs having fun! Would love to see the Rec crowd sing it for him this weekend.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

16 December, 2017 20:29
Enjoyed his performance but thought the 4th try canx was harsh. Otherwise clear instructions to players and a real empathy for the game. Firm, fair and human...

Adopted players: 2018/19 Michael Van Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

MESSAGES->author
Coalminer (IP Logged)

16 December, 2017 21:18
The first try from Toulon was clearly created by holding back Chris Cooke but Nigel needed some help from the TMO and his assistant and he didn't get any. It wasn't as if it was subtle. They replayed the try on the big screen immediately and the holding was clear. That was well before they reviewed the grounding.

MESSAGES->author
trikidiki (IP Logged)

16 December, 2017 23:13
Nice to see a ref with a bit of nouse. Didn't ping players for 'not rolling away' when it is clear and obvious to everyone that there is now way they can roll away.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

16 December, 2017 23:24
Very few referees are as credible as NO.

Another solid performance today. The disallowed try was the correct decision.

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 07:33
At one point when a player was questioning some 'foul play' or something I caught Nigel saying something like 'it was fine - you are playing rugby football you know'

VinceJ
VinceJ (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 07:46
My neighbour at the match told me that NO's conversation with his assistants was often in Welsh. Somewhat negates the reason for having a Reflink.

homeontherec
homeontherec (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 07:51
Quote:
Coalminer
The first try from Toulon was clearly created by holding back Chris Cooke but Nigel needed some help from the TMO and his assistant and he didn't get any. It wasn't as if it was subtle. They replayed the try on the big screen immediately and the holding was clear. That was well before they reviewed the grounding.

Think it was Max Lahiff being held.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 07:58
Our cancelled try was a 50/50, one where it depends on the referee's point of view upon first seeing the incident. The TMO wanted to change Nigel's mind but he wasn't for budging.

Nigel was excellent. You just get a better game when he refs, the 'product' of rugby is better, due to the way he sympathetically lets the game flow (e.g. not penalising every player who falls on the wrong side of a ruck, especially Louw, who will have a go on the ball, then roll off when Nigel tells him) and communicates so well (e.g. communicating with props about scrummaging throughout the game, not just at scrum time. Lovely moment before a lineout where Nigel thanked Obano for his efforts to keep the scrum steady.)

homeontherec
homeontherec (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 08:09
Quote:
VinceJ
My neighbour at the match told me that NO's conversation with his assistants was often in Welsh. Somewhat negates the reason for having a Reflink.

Think he only said thank you in Welsh once. “Diolch”

Didn’t hear anything else so shouldn’t be too problematic.

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 09:37
When he finally hangs up the whistle, I really hope he gets involved in training and mentoring new refs.

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 11:27
Quote:
homeontherec
Quote:
VinceJ

Think he only said thank you in Welsh once. “Diolch”

Didn’t hear anything else so shouldn’t be too problematic.
yeah, I couldn't always hear what he was saying as Barnes was dribbling over his own microphone too loudly, but that was the only Welsh language I caught.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 11:41
The disallowed try was not clear either way after 20 replays so fair enough. I thought Watson did knock the ball on a few seconds before and that initially was what the TMO wanted to review so the right decision sort of for the wrong reason.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 11:46
From where I was in the stand it looked like Banners wasn’t actually in touch for Garveys ‘try’. Can anyone with a clearer view confirm whether he was in or out?

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 11:49
The TV showed he had a toe in touch whilst passing the ball inside.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 December, 2017 12:22
OK thanks

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

18 December, 2017 00:40
Great referee. One of the very best. Thank you Nigel, I do enjoy your officiating as is obvious, so do the players.

From what I saw of the replays, his decisions were spot on, and were quickly accepted by one and all.

The idea of him coaching, mentoring young trainee refs is brilliant and, hopefully, he would teach them communication with players and empathy for the game. So many of the newer guys are so pedantic and stand offish, it is highly unlikely they will become top class and both the spectators and players enjoyment of our great game suffers accordingly. Matthew Carley is a prime example of needing Nigel's people skills.

Also, I have had the pleasure of talking to Nigel on a couple of occasions and he is a genuinely generous, if slightly shy interesting person who has strongly held beliefs in how the game of rugby should be played. He is an excellent and entertaining speaker so if you have a chance to listen to him, take it as I guarantee it will be an enjoyable and rewarding (and humorous) experience.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

18 December, 2017 08:17
Carley is so poor he is now refereeing international matches.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

18 December, 2017 11:30
I am not saying Carley is a poor referee, as I genuinely think he has improved, but he just doesn't have that much empathy with how the game is to be played, spoiling it for the players and spectators alike. This stems in part from his inability to communicate very well with the players and his IMO overbearing attitude towards them.

A touch of NO's wit, approachfulness and friendliness wouldn't go amiss, and the odd admission that he might of got a decision or two wrong. Spreadbury had the same abilities as Nigel and I know how players loved being referred by him.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

18 December, 2017 21:47
Owens style is such that even if he gets things wrong, which seems to be a rarity, people forgive him quickly. It is more about people skills than reciting rules and laws. He is the best referee bar none currently, and has been for several years.

Carley keeps his people skills well hidden.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net