rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

Six Bath Rugby players named in England squad
29 December, 2017 13:08
Bath Rugby's Tom Dunn, Charlie Ewels, Jonathan Joseph, Zach Mercer, Beno Obano and Anthony Watson have been named in the England training squad.

Link

Well, here's something to be proud and happy about. Well done lads, especially Obano who gets his first call-up. Amazing how such a 'badly coached' side can offer so much on the international stage. Obano must have become a good rugby player in his spare time away from Farleigh.

Seriously, well done to the boys. Also, all six are starting for us tonight, so hopefully it'll give these lads a great boost and they can put in a performance.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

Re: Six Bath Rugby players named in England squad
29 December, 2017 14:05
LHP: Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Beno Obano (Bath Rugby)
HK: Jamie George (Saracens), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), Tom Dunn (Bath Rugby)
THP: Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins), Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs)
LK: Maro Itoje (Saracens), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Nick Isiekwe (Saracens), Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby)
FL: Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), James Haskell (Wasps), Gary Graham (Newcastle Falcons)
N8: Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs), Zach Mercer (Bath Rugby)*

SH: Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers), Danny Care (Harlequins)
FH: George Ford (Leicester Tigers), Marcus Smith (Harlequins)*
CE: Owen Farrell (Saracens), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Ben Teío (Worcester Warriors), Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Piers Francis (Northampton Saints)
WG: Jonny May (Leicester Tigers), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Nathan Earle (Saracens), Denny Solomona (Sale Sharks)
FB: Mike Brown (Harlequins), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby)

Obano not ready yet, but it's his first experience, I guess for Eddie to run his eye over him, to train, and to be inspired.
I'd have thought LCD had done enough since his return to make this squad; but then Dunn deserves to keep his spot, and is possibly more to Eddie's taste (workrate), and he's only gone for 3 in each slot.
Now then; what's he playing at with the flankers? Graham is the wrong Falcon's flanker, and Haskell doesn't deserve his recall IMO - Curry and Wilson can be rightly pissed off, and now need to go and prove that they deserve those places.

At some stage, Eddie's going to have to decide on a third choice SH, I really hope that stage isn't whilst out in Japan. Of course, Exeter could help here by playing one of their kids once in a while.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/12/2017 14:29 by Which Tyler.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

29 December, 2017 14:53
Well done to all. Chuffed for Obano, top couple of seasons.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

29 December, 2017 15:30
Beno has been a superstar this season. Awesome for the lad.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

29 December, 2017 17:22
Surprised no Armand instead of Hask, no LCD. Has Teío played more than a couple of matches for Worcs this year? He must play as much for Englandís as he does for them. Agree that we really need to start blooding another 9 (like Spencer, for example or Robson. Very well done Obano and the other lads.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

29 December, 2017 18:17
Has Solomona learned how to tackle yet? Worse than a wet paper bag in argentina.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 00:30
What has Ewells done to deserve selection? Absolutely diddily squat tonight, as usual.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 00:33
Quote:
Bathovalballer
What has Ewells done to deserve selection? Absolutely diddily squat tonight, as usual.

I assume that this is irony? You realise that he was replaced on 24 mins?

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 09:51
And yes didn't the forward effort improve with his departure.Eddie J has picked the wrong man, as Stooke should be in the squad not Ewells.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 10:08
For Bath I would have stooke, Douglas and ewels personally (for the next 5+ years) with another yet to be determined.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 12:14
Quote:
Bathovalballer
And yes didn't the forward effort improve with his departure.Eddie J ...

Probably because Ewells was injured

Ian E
Ian E (IP Logged)

01 January, 2018 15:24
Following injuries sustained at the weekend, Charlie Ewels (hamstring), Piers Francis (concussion), Jonathan Joseph (dead leg), Jack Nowell (ankle) and Harry Williams (concussion) will not join up with England for their training camp today (Monday).

Henry Thomas (Bath Rugby) and Joe Cokanasiga (London Irish) have been called up into the squad for the two-day camp in Brighton.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

01 January, 2018 16:17
Seems way too early for Henry Thomas to be back involved given his extended time out of action? Well done nonetheless.

by
by (IP Logged)

01 January, 2018 16:41
It is only a training camp, EJ has said before that they are primarily just a way of getting players together and communicating how they want England to play.

by
by (IP Logged)

01 January, 2018 16:43
I wonder if JJ will be available for Bath on Friday. Thatís all 3 centres at the club injured together + Banahan.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

01 January, 2018 16:59
Quote:
by
I wonder if JJ will be available for Bath on Friday. Thatís all 3 centres at the club injured together + Banahan.

I guess burns to 15, Watson to wing and brew or Wilson to 13? I donít want to see Priestland at 12 and Wilson at 13 (or similar) if we can help it. Surprised we canít pick up a temporary centre from the SH, much needed.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 10:04
Super Rugby starts up again soon, presume everyone's in camp. Could we try one of the youngsters from Leeds?

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 11:24
Bit late to it but congrats to all 6 guys.

Great experience for the younger guys who are all really improving in my mind this year. Beno, Dunn and Ewels all have good futures ahead of them here if they continue improving! Let's just hope they stick with the club and are not poached off elsewhere for big money!

I heard a worrying rumour that JJ was having a bit bundle of cash thrown at him by Saracens who are looking to bring in a top 13 after being less impressed by Bosch of late. Let's hope that in England camps all those Sarries players aren't talking in his ear!!

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 11:29
Given the salaries Sarries are having to pay to their England guys, I really struggle to see how they could throw tonnes of money at JJ given he can't be marquee.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 11:30
Quote:
Big Dog
Bit late to it but congrats to all 6 guys.
Great experience for the younger guys who are all really improving in my mind this year. Beno, Dunn and Ewels all have good futures ahead of them here if they continue improving! Let's just hope they stick with the club and are not poached off elsewhere for big money!

I heard a worrying rumour that JJ was having a bit bundle of cash thrown at him by Saracens who are looking to bring in a top 13 after being less impressed by Bosch of late. Let's hope that in England camps all those Sarries players aren't talking in his ear!!

Maybe a swap for Itoje, Williams and Spencer?

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 14:45
Am I right that there are only 4 Exeter players in the squad?? Why so few when they are winning the league at a canter.

by
by (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 14:51
Well coached with a mature and well rehearsed strategy, plus a lot of their better players are foreign or too old.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 16:47
Quote:
hasta
Given the salaries Sarries are having to pay to their England guys, I really struggle to see how they could throw tonnes of money at JJ given he can't be marquee.

I'm sure his girlfriend is being offered an excellently paid job in the gift shop or something perhaps...? I hope it is a rumour and nothing more as he is one of our truly world class potential players! If we lose him or Watson our backline suddenly has a lot less menace to it.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 16:51
I'd not read anything into it just yet. Early touting ahead of next year - JJ's still in contract.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 17:03
Quote:
Big Dog
Quote:
hasta

I'm sure his girlfriend is being offered an excellently paid job in the gift shop or something perhaps...? I hope it is a rumour and nothing more as he is one of our truly world class potential players! If we lose him or Watson our backline suddenly has a lot less menace to it.

Interestingly the premiership rules say that they can investigate friends and family too, if I remember correctly from when this point was made previously.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 17:51
Quote:
Big Dog

Hope there's no foundation to this rumour, but would be understandable if he moved to Sarries as he's 26 and really needs to be winning trophies now.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 17:55
I would have thought that his international career was his main priority & that doesnít appear to have been hampered by being here.

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 22:57
Still seems wrong that a club thatís dominating the English game is hardly effected by international call ups when other clubs which are struggling have a whole load of key players missing.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 23:30
Either that or they have recruited sensibly. Armand and LCD should be in the larger squad as a minimum in my view. Woodburn probably shouldnít be too far away either given the dearth of English winger talent and Daley and Roko injuries.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

03 January, 2018 00:47
Quote:
BathPatriot
Still seems wrong that a club thatís dominating the English game is hardly effected by international call ups when other clubs which are struggling have a whole load of key players missing.

Itís highly infuriating. Not only are supporters boasting that they have 10 back row forwards & 5 scrum halves they now have this advantage over the rest of us. If some of their supporters continue to patronise other clubs & tell them what they should be doing on their websites they will soon stop being many peopleís second club if they havenít already.

Ian E
Ian E (IP Logged)

03 January, 2018 06:19
I agree it's annoying either Prem games aren't played during international windows or teams with no call ups maybe should rest certain players to level the playing field?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

03 January, 2018 06:53
Teams with international players get compensation donít they? Besides which, no team is forced to sign a load of current internationals. For example, Leicester lose both of their first choice half backs, we are likely to lose neither. It was their choice to swap Burns for Ford. Just seems like needless whinging to me, those are the rules and Exe seem to be doing OK out of them as do other teams.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

03 January, 2018 09:04
Quote:
BathMatt53
Teams with international players get compensation donít they? Besides which, no team is forced to sign a load of current internationals. For example, Leicester lose both of their first choice half backs, we are likely to lose neither. It was their choice to swap Burns for Ford. Just seems like needless whinging to me, those are the rules and Exe seem to be doing OK out of them as do other teams.

Iíll try not to whinge (Sm147)

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

03 January, 2018 09:08
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
BathMatt53

Iíll try not to whinge (Sm147)

Sorry, does sound a bit harsher than intended, I meant whine. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

03 January, 2018 09:24
Quote:
BathPatriot

Exeter have managed their squad recruitment well and as have a balanced squad and should be congratulated for this. Certainly makes sense to reduce the amount of EPS players in the squad.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

03 January, 2018 10:12
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Itís highly infuriating. Not only are supporters boasting that they have 10 back row forwards & 5 scrum halves they now have this advantage over the rest of us. If some of their supporters continue to patronise other clubs & tell them what they should be doing on their websites they will soon stop being many peopleís second club if they havenít already.

I agree. A few of the snide, smug comments from Exe supporters that have appeared on posts on here have made me dislike them a little. I'm no Exeter champion like others on here but do appreciate the young English talent they have in their ranks and so enjoy watching them play (a bit like watching Spurs in the football given how much of the England team they field). Would rather not have smug Exe supporters coming on here and creating even more pessimism though!

I do think Exeter are a team that are a sum of their parts as opposed to any particular outstanding individuals. They have a good coaching team who have all their sides performing the same style of rugby so that any transition between their A team and their first XV is seamless. Someone like Sam Skinner was at uni only last year I believe and performing for their A team. He has flourished into a starting player now as a result of that ability to transition more simply.

Other than Nowell then I don't think any of their players would be a bolt on starting England player on form. You could argue cases for Harry Williams, Don Armand, Slade, Simmonds etc but it depends entirely on how EJ wants to setup the team and play to be honest with you. Nowell for me is the only one who gives you a real point of difference to the other wing options England have.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net