rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

luckyp
luckyp (IP Logged)

club pride
30 December, 2017 13:06
At last nights game the club could not even be bothered to put the club flag on the flagpole above the clubhouse.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

Re: club pride
30 December, 2017 13:07
Probably number 3654 on the list of things to (barely) complain about.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 13:17
Quote:
luckyp
At last nights game the club could not even be bothered to put the club flag on the flagpole above the clubhouse.

I should think that is the least of their concerns, or ours as supporters, perhaps it should be flying at half mast !(Sm100)

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 16:17
I heard that someone in accounts failed to polish their shoes, too. The place is going to the dogs.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 17:02
Things appear a little ragged, the match report on the offy had the correct match score in the headline but the wrong score for Bath at the end of the article when I read it this morning...

Adopted players: 2018/19 Michael Van Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 17:10
As I have said elsewhere, the club's awful disjointed inept display last night, the team are beginning to lose the support of the crowd. If anything makes the management look to their laurels, it is this.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 17:13
You canít just support when the results are going your way?

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 17:20
Quote:
BathMatt53

This is true, most supporters accept that your team is not going to win every game but it's the manor of the losses that concerns most.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 17:30
Quote:
Old Bath Tub
Quote:
BathMatt53

This is true, most supporters accept that your team is not going to win every game but it's the manor of the losses that concerns most.

Concerning yes, but losing support? Would be a bit limp for being mid-table IMO.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 17:37
Even in our darkest days when we were a whisker away from relegation I still supported and went to all home games and even went to that dreadful place Ashton Gate!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Ian E
Ian E (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 17:49
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Old Bath Tub
Quote:
BathMatt53

Concerning yes, but losing support? Would be a bit limp for being mid-table IMO.

You take the rough with the smooth - it's now the team need our support

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 17:54
A few us drove from Bath through the Midlands snow to Headingly to watch Bath (11) v Leeds (12) in 2002 (?). We won that game and climbed the table to top 4. It's sport and anything can happen, that is what brings us back week after week. Here's hoping...

Adopted players: 2018/19 Michael Van Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 17:55
Quote:
BathMatt53

True, but it's really hard mustering the effort right now. The team are just not doing anything to get excited about.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

wetside
wetside (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 18:03
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
BathMatt53

True, but it's really hard mustering the effort right now. The team are just not doing anything to get excited about.

Thought we were in pole position in Europe league with every chance of a home quarter final spot.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 18:05
Quote:
wetside
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
BathMatt53

Thought we were in pole position in Europe league with every chance of a home quarter final spot.

(Sm152)

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 18:07
Some of you may think that the not flying the flag is trivial, however it appears indicative recently of the attitude of the senior management I.e. Tarquin McDonald et al, take Wasps they lose Nathan Hughes and just go out and get a medical joker from South Africa in CARR we lose our entire first choice back row and inside centres but do not appear to be able to apply the same, then we wonder why we are losing.

I am sorry as a life long Bath fan I am not sold on our current MD and where his true energy lies - I have yet to see his true rugby love show through.

Every week TB appears to look more beleaguered and despondent and as for the players the last two weeks there has been a distinct lack of passion.

Worrying times, small squad, lots of injuries Charlie Ewels being the latest and no medical joker or new signings in sight.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 18:13
Quote:
BathOvalBaller
As I have said elsewhere, the club's awful disjointed inept display last night, the team are beginning to lose the support of the crowd

Presumably then the crowd were quietly muttering to themselves in embarrassment last night then ? No, the raucous crowd were vociferously cheering Bath on last night.

Wrong again BathOvalBaller, wrong again.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 18:14
Quote:
wetside
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
BathMatt53

Not based on recent performances we won't

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 18:25
Hmm. Flags are run up at sunrise and run down at sunset.

Kick off was at 1945.

Looks like the Club was right on a technicality!

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 18:35
Its all in the title of this thread. There does not appear to be much pride in the club on the field of play and shown by most of the players. Personally I don't care about flying a flag but do about our play and results, and steady improvement. And the league is the most important way we are judged, not by the occasional Euro or Cup win although that would be nice.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 18:35
Quote:
Ali1969
Some of you may think that the not flying the flag is trivial, however it appears indicative recently of the attitude of the senior management I.e. Tarquin McDonald et al, take Wasps they lose Nathan Hughes and just go out and get a medical joker from South Africa in CARR we lose our entire first choice back row and inside centres but do not appear to be able to apply the same, then we wonder why we are losing.
I am sorry as a life long Bath fan I am not sold on our current MD and where his true energy lies - I have yet to see his true rugby love show through.

Every week TB appears to look more beleaguered and despondent and as for the players the last two weeks there has been a distinct lack of passion.

Worrying times, small squad, lots of injuries Charlie Ewels being the latest and no medical joker or new signings in sight.

Totally agree, there seems to be issues between those on the shop floor and those in the boardroom, can't quite put my finger on it but clearly something is not right/working.

Coach and players are certainly putting the effort in, maybe some of there minds are elsewhere such as contracts, team mates moving on, or off field/outsides issues, things happening behind the scenes that we as supporters are not privy to.
Clearly a lack of concentration showing after watching last nights game.

Hopefully the Euro games will be our saviour (Sm128)

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 18:49
Henry Thomas passing to Wasps was Tarquins fault (and so is the flag)? Sounds more like Ďword for wordí on Im sorry I havenít a clue.

Montyuk
Montyuk (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 19:37
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:
BathOvalBaller
As I have said elsewhere, the club's awful disjointed inept display last night, the team are beginning to lose the support of the crowd

Presumably then the crowd were quietly muttering to themselves in embarrassment last night then ? No, the raucous crowd were vociferously cheering Bath on last night.

Wrong again BathOvalBaller, wrong again.

Was it cheering or just shouting "stop kicking it"? But agree the crowd are still behind them. It was a good atmosphere where I was sitting and 2 bonus points was some consolation after a pretty poor performance.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

30 December, 2017 23:02
Quote:
Ali1969

I can identify with this post. The pre-match season ticket event led by TqM was poor. BS management bluster, reading between the lines there was resignation to Banners leaving, and to be quite frank TqM who clearly likes the sound of his own voice spent half an hour talking, but actually saying very little.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

31 December, 2017 01:22
Quote:
Kidney Stone
Quote:
Ali1969

I can identify with this post. The pre-match season ticket event led by TqM was poor. BS management bluster, reading between the lines there was resignation to Banners leaving, and to be quite frank TqM who clearly likes the sound of his own voice spent half an hour talking, but actually saying very little.

Maybe Banners leaving isn't just about the money after all, perhaps he thinks he's got a better chance of winning a trophy at Glos? They certainly seem to have better coaching setup with a clear game plan.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

31 December, 2017 04:36
I doubt that they have heard the last of the nightclub attack which has been swept under the carpet for now.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

31 December, 2017 09:39
These are trivial matters which wouldn't even be discussed if we were winning more. Plenty of pride home and away v Toulon, maybe a cup run is getting the focus of players and coaches.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

31 December, 2017 10:19
Tarquin is first and foremost an accountant. nuff said.
So only interested in the bottom line.

Trouble is the bottom line gets larger and larger with little real achievement to show for it.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

31 December, 2017 10:58
Personally I think TB is doing a great job in very trying and difficult circumstances. Firstly no-one saw TB havi to leave, the problem is we have not replaced him.

Secondly, TB has made it very clear his frustrations in lack of investment and re-contracting of players, he has made it very clear he wants the like of MB to stay, the problem is e money men TMcD do not share is view and their interest appears to be purely in the commercial aspect and the stadium. There is no point in having a fancy all signing stadium unless you are challenging silverware.

I have also heard Tarquin McDonald speak and I have not detected any passion for our great club in relation to Rugby matters, unlike Todd Blackadder who is clearly a passionate and fully respected rugby man.

I think the previous management namely Mike Ford has done much damage to BC and Bath Rugby more than perhaps we have all thought. BC invested hugely in the likes of Sam Burges, George Ford and both have shown no respect or passion for our great club and BC has lost a lot of money and pride.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

31 December, 2017 11:13
The team are struggling at the moment, I believe mainly to do with running an overly limited game plan and the associated knock on lack of confidence.

However we still have a talented set of young players who give their absolute all when playing for the BBW and continue to have the support of a packed rec.

The money men have to balance the books and if we end up with continued mid table form for a few seasons and can't retain all of our best players (who if you believe the doomsayers on this this board can't run, tackle, or pass anyway) whilst we develop the stadium and secure our place in the centre of Bath then that's OK with me.

Looking forward to a huge reaction at Worcester from our team.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

31 December, 2017 11:18
Maybe if Tarquin was sacked and we had someone who understands sport things may improve.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

31 December, 2017 11:34
Lots of petty and unpleasant comments on here IMO. So Tarquin doesnít care, doesnít know anything about sport and doesnít want the Bath flag up? All a load of tripe.

Devonport Boy
Devonport Boy (IP Logged)

31 December, 2017 11:46
We all want Bath Rugby to thrive for years to come in a hugely complex business, financial and sports environment. Tarquin is developing the strategic approach that will deliver that and he deserves support in tackling these very challenging objectives, not unthinking ďflakĒ.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

31 December, 2017 12:06
Quote:
annie blackthorn
Tarquin is first and foremost an accountant. nuff said.
So only interested in the bottom line.

Trouble is the bottom line gets larger and larger with little real achievement to show for it.

Out of order, Annie, accountants are just as passionate as anyone. Yes bottom line is important, it means that he keeps his job and the jobs of all the people he is responsible for. I doubt if BC has got an open Cheque book forever. However, accountants know that success is important to the fans and I expect Bath's fortunes are very prominent in his thinking!

Happy New Year!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

31 December, 2017 12:11
BathMatt I have not said Tarquin does not care, I believe he is a very passionate man and very skilled in his field of expertise.

What I have said having heard him speak on a number of occasions is that his passion for rugby just doesn't seem to be there. As a passionate life long Bath rugby supporter I find that upsetting.

I fully understand and appreciate you need the infrastructure in place but not at the expense of e team, there in lies the difference.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

31 December, 2017 12:36
If memory serves me our operating loss was c£1mn last year. We know BC wants the club to b/even so the challenge for all involved at Bath Rugby is to manage commercial and playing matters in a balanced way. I think we are well positioned at the halfway point in the season. I am looking forward to the 2nd half in 2018 as players return from injury, Attwood, Tapuai, Thomas amongst others. My New Year wish is for Bath to stop kicking a dry ball away and compete more effectively at the breakdown. I was with TMcD in the Director's room away at Tigers and I can assure the doubters on this board his reaction post Tigers showed he is passionate about Bath Rugby and wants success as much as we all do. We have had some great wins and a few setbacks in the first half, more of the former in 2018 is required. Keep the faith...

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

31 December, 2017 14:17
Quote:
OutsideBath
Maybe if Tarquin was sacked and we had someone who understands sport things may improve.

Was the previous CEO Nick Blofeld coming from a horse racing background any better ?

NEIGH ! (Sm128)

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

31 December, 2017 14:54
Quote:
Old Bath Tub
Quote:
OutsideBath

Was the previous CEO Nick Blofeld coming from a horse racing background any better ?

NEIGH ! (Sm128)

Actually Nick Blofeld knew his rugby well. Played it at University, captain of his 1st XV at his school, played for Hong Kong in the 7s tournaments. He often commentated with Andrew Sheridan on matches. He knew his stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/12/2017 14:58 by CoochieCoo.

Bath Supporter Jack

31 December, 2017 15:46
Ludicrous comments on here.

My only concern was poor game by Kahn, very, very slow.

Loved the Wasps style for 30 minutes but if they have no effective opposition what do they expect.

Missing an International/world class back row does not help but the excellent better than squad players came through.

Lost 26 - 31 to a team on an unbeaten run of 7 league games........is not the end of the world.

If we can get to Top 4 then it will have been an OK season.....

I agree with Mr cc accountants are just as passionate as other people.......I should know!!!!!!!!!

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

31 December, 2017 16:47
Ludicrous comments, BSJ, on COML! Surely not!

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

31 December, 2017 17:55
Trouble is Bath Supporter Jack we seem to be on a run of resurgent teams - especially when playing at home - Newcastle, Gloucester, Wasps.....

Next up Worcester on a bit of an upturn too - but at least that is an away game!

Last game of the season London Irish - they playing for Premiership survival, we playing for a top 6 place? That could be a challenge.

annie blackthorn

31 December, 2017 23:15
Touchy lot aren't you. 'fraid when the bottom line becomes the bee-all and end of any business, it will fail. Happy New Year! Open your eyes to a wider circle of Bath Rugby influences n the area, and you might just be enlightened.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

01 January, 2018 09:38
Quote:
annie blackthorn
Touchy lot aren't you. 'fraid when the bottom line becomes the bee-all and end of any business, it will fail. Happy New Year! Open your eyes to a wider circle of Bath Rugby influences n the area, and you might just be enlightened.

Good grief, Annie! You seem to be the touchy one on 'ere winking smiley. A positive bottom line is required so that a business can have a bee-all and end all. No positive bottom line means the end all is just that, The End!

Devonport Boy
Devonport Boy (IP Logged)

01 January, 2018 09:57
Quite right CC. Bath Rugbyís business plan will undoubtedly have a wide ranging set of strategic objectives and key performance indicators in it - but if the underpinning financial structure ainít there then like any organisation, sustainability and development isnít going to happen.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

01 January, 2018 11:27
Quote:
Devonport Boy
Quite right CC. Bath Rugbyís business plan will undoubtedly have a wide ranging set of strategic objectives and key performance indicators in it - but if the underpinning financial structure ainít there then like any organisation, sustainability and development isnít going to happen.

+1 but of course it is all about choices & making the right decisions as TM will be fully aware. Itís not possible to get everything right & it is impossible to predict the effect of injuries or sudden loss of form.

annie blackthorn

02 January, 2018 10:41
In response to my comment about the bottom line, what I wrote BEFORE and is my opinion, is that if this is the overriding priority, then a business will fail. if YOU DON'T HAVE A GOOD PRODUCT, delivered on time etc. the bottom line becomes an irrelevance.
Do hope you know get my drift.

I could go on, but it would bore everyone (Sm119)

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 11:08
Quote:
annie blackthorn
In response to my comment about the bottom line, what I wrote BEFORE and is my opinion, is that if this is the overriding priority, then a business will fail. if YOU DON'T HAVE A GOOD PRODUCT, delivered on time etc. the bottom line becomes an irrelevance.

It raises an interesting question, which is, what is a 'good product' in sporting circles?

Newcastle United, for example have an amazing stadium and attracted over 40,000 fans per week in the Championship. This is a lot more than most of the Premiership football teams. Do Bristol have a better 'product' than Newcastle Rugby? They certainly have better facilities and lots more fans. Or is it all about the performance on the pitch?

Although the two are generally related, its not always the case. You can have a great product operating at a loss (or even going bankrupt) but a 'poor' product which rakes in the cash (such as in the examples above). I suspect that Bath are fairly mid Prem rugby table in both, but do have a more attractive brand than many others?

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 11:39
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
annie blackthorn

It raises an interesting question, which is, what is a 'good product' in sporting circles?

Newcastle United, for example have an amazing stadium and attracted over 40,000 fans per week in the
Championship. This is a lot more than most of the Premiership football teams. Do Bristol have a better
'product' than Newcastle Rugby? They certainly have
better facilities and lots more fans. Or is it all about the performance on the pitch?

Although the two are generally related, its not always the case. You can have a great product operating at a loss (or even going bankrupt) but a 'poor' product which rakes in the cash (such as in the examples above). I suspect that Bath are fairly mid Prem rugby table in both, but do have a more attractive brand than many others?

+ 1. Wasps enjoyed a very successful spell in the early 2000ís but were in a dire financial position & unable to attract supporters. I would hazard a guess that they will now continue to thrive as long as they stay in the top tier owing to sound business decisions even though maybe 50% of their supporters disagreed with the move to Coventry.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 11:39
I'm a little late to offer an opinion on some of the previous comments but will make note of a few anyways.

As an eternal optimist I have to say that after the first 20-30 minutes of Friday night I was sat there, a bit cold thinking - 'we are in for an extremely long evening'. Wasps were running the show, had 95% of the ball or more and Cipriani and Robson were controlling the game so well that I wondered whether we may concede 50+ points given how quickly they started. To summarise - we started slow and despite our best defensive efforts they scored some excellent tries.

What I must say though is that after that we more than matched them after the boys put their heads together, dug in and went back to basics and by halftime we actually had a foothold in the game. Some Robson magic secured them the bonus point just after halftime, demoralising for most teams after fighting back, but we didn't stop trying at any point and up until the death were in with a chance of sneaking a victory in unlikely circumstances. If anyone thinks that was our finest performance ever then they are very incorrect but actually despite being out of it after 30 minutes we took the maximum points possible in a losing effort.

What I would say though is that this is the second time this season I would have to say we have been completely outclassed and behind really badly on the scoreline (Exe away I'm thinking of) and it is the second time we have really fought back to get something from a game where it would appear there was nothing there for us. Newcastle and Gloucester were bad performances but I never felt we were outclassed in the same way as we were for the first 30 minutes against Wasps and against Exe away.

For us to be beaten up and run ragged by teams that will be challenging for the title on two occasions but yet still fight until the death to get something for the game I think shows great pride in playing for Bath. You have to remember that a majority of our squad are very inexperienced still at this top level and we are playing in an extremely competitive league. Players like Obano, Dunn, Ewels, Stooke, Zach Mercer, Watson etc will all learn from games like this and will learn bit by bit how to manage those circumstances better.

To say they were not playing with pride is crazy. To say the flags matter as well is even crazier!

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight; 2018-19 Jonathan Joseph

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

02 January, 2018 12:06
Spot on Big Dog. We are in no ways the best team in the Prem this year but we're showing plenty of heart, plenty of work rate, and bringing on some fine young players.

With reference to Annie's post I am happy enough with the product but hugely annoyed by the store opening hours. The odd Friday night game under lights is OK but doesn't compensate for a Saturday afternoon outing with accompanying social.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net