rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

England U20 Elite Player Squad Announced
04 January, 2018 13:43
England U20 Elite Player Squad Announced - not one Bath player.

[www.premiershiprugby.com]

- 5 from Irish
- 5 from Worcs
- 5 from Tigers

[players from Sale such as the Currys eligible but with the senior squad]

If I was the Bath management, this where I would start rattling cages to be honest. Yes we have some great young players (20-25) but we can't start having fallow periods. Or do we just sign them up a bit later and forget this stage (and the academy credits)?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

Re: England U20 Elite Player Squad Announced
04 January, 2018 14:21
We've had a very good 3-4 years, but I agree having zero is disappointing. Time to get Danny back from school?

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

04 January, 2018 14:26
Quote:
hasta
We've had a very good 3-4 years, but I agree having zero is disappointing. Time to get Danny back from school?

nice suggestion, rather than just to run the punching training..I cant remember when he left, was it in the MF era?

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

04 January, 2018 14:26
I thought we had a number of good u18's coming through do we not? There was a post the other week where Ojomoh and de Glanville etc were to play for our u18's?

Is it possible we just don't have any top quality u20's this year?

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

04 January, 2018 14:31
He had a massive falling out with Mike Ford. I know. Seems hard to believe, right?

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

04 January, 2018 16:17
Has he still got a pair of boots?

PECK

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

04 January, 2018 20:19
We don’t seem to have many England qualified in the U20 age group. The Academy are largely either older or U18s (or Welsh).

Stuart

Former ed.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 10:45
Gabe Oghre was ours until very recently.

Grewcock is a strange one. He's revered in many ways, but i don't think his record at our Academy is proven either way. The fact that he's gone to be a PE teacher (sorry - 'Director of Sport'), rather than into an elite coaching role does make you wonder.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 10:50
Quote:
Optimist

Doesn't that make it worse? We lost our only England U20 player to another team?

To be fair it was possibly the only position where that would have happened since Hooker is one place where we have cracking young talent.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 13:59
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Optimist

Doesn't that make it worse? We lost our only England U20 player to another team?

To be fair it was possibly the only position where that would have happened since Hooker is one place where we have cracking young talent.

To be fair I understand this move from Oghre as Jack Walker is 22 and Tom Dunn only 25. Thing is having watched Oghre play for Wasps in the 7's (of which they won of course) I actually think he'd be a superb 7 of the Steffon Armitage mould. He's very quick, strong ball carrier and good over the ball. Only 5'8 though which, given most backrowers are at least 6ft, may have stood against him I suppose!

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 14:08
He's probably destined to be one of those players who is a little bit in between - Dave Ward might be a close comparison. A useful squad hooker with some moments in the sun - but might never be a regular starter. The biggest danger for us is that he persuades one or both of his mates JJ and AW to join him in Coventry. With Dai Young having committed to Wasps, you could hardly blame them for wondering how much fun they could have in a team like that.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 14:12
I think that Dave Ward is probably nailed on now - its only taken him 12+ years but he is a leader (Captain) and great player whenever I've seen him this year. That he plays 2 and 7 is a bonus too.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 14:45
Dave Ward is utter garbage at throwing into the lineout though.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 15:00
So garbage they had 12 of 13 (92%) against Northampton and 13 of 15 (86%) against Newcastle the match before. I think that we would be pretty chuffed with those stats.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 15:56
Quote:
BathMatt53
So garbage they had 12 of 13 (92%) against Northampton and 13 of 15 (86%) against Newcastle the match before. I think that we would be pretty chuffed with those stats.

Stats win! (Sm100)(Sm100)(Sm100)

I have to say I think Dave Ward is terrific. He scores some great tries as well as epitomising the way Quins are at their best with his line running and offload game. I think Gabriel Oghre would be chuffed to end up that sort of player personally!

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 16:18
Quote:
Big Dog
Quote:
BathMatt53

Stats win! (Sm100)(Sm100)(Sm100)

I have to say I think Dave Ward is terrific. He scores some great tries as well as epitomising the way Quins are at their best with his line running and offload game. I think Gabriel Oghre would be chuffed to end up that sort of player personally!

Another Bath boy as well obviously...

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 January, 2018 16:27
I'm thinking that our 18s aren't quite ready for the step-up quite yet?

[www.gloucesterrugby.co.uk]

66-10 is an eye watering result at that level.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

09 January, 2018 17:00
Unfortunately it's a recurring theme across all of the representative rugby in this area - Somerset age-group teams rarely get much change out of Cornwall, Gloucester, Bristol, Devon or Dorset; Bath Academy teams lose more than they win; the United team is perennially 'outgunned by bigger, stronger, more experienced [insert team here]'.

Fortunately the London Irish Academy produces more than they can gainfully employ.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 11:21
A win for the U18s! against LI - 51-40!!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 12:27
Rather pleased that none of our kids will be playing if it means that they would come up against 18 year olds like this kid. I mean, what the hell do they feed them on over there?

[m.youtube.com]

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 13:34
Strewth....like the relief shown by the defender at the end as he arrives just as he dots down!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net