rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

Mental Health in Rugby
05 January, 2018 10:40
I saw a really interesting article on the BBC website earlier that has had me thinking a lot about throwaway comments people may put on here sometimes. I am not so sure whether professional rugby players will read this sort of thing, even know about it or even care at all what people like us think about the game, their performances or the team in general.

It is worth considering though what you say in the off chance that they do. As a supporter, regardless of how a player plays on a given occasion it is worth considering that they have always gone out there to do their best.

This article focuses on Nick de Luca and his career which perhaps never hit the heights it was expected it could due to the anxieties and lack of confidence he had at times as a player in the spotlight. It is interesting his point about how players do so much analysis, gym work, skills work but very little mental work or support at club level;
[www.bbc.co.uk]

(Also on a sidenote - this isn't meant to be a jibe at those of us on here who are more pessimistic in viewpoint! Everyone is entitled to their views - it is just something worth considering!)

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: Mental Health in Rugby
05 January, 2018 11:00
It is part and parcel of professional sport, team sport in particular I would say, that you will get lauded for a great performance and criticised when you put in a poor performance. IMO we as supporters must be aware of the line of acceptability, and I think that most are on this board.

For example, if a player does something stupid (i.e. a brain fart) then we are fully entitled to comment (no doubt join them) on how that was a stupid thing to do. If a player punches someone, shoulder barges or whatever and gets sent off then why shouldn't we let out a collective groan? However when someone misses touch or drops a pass I don't really think that there is much point in giving them too much of a hard time as it is just a mistake that the best players in the world make from time to time?

There are persons on this board who either have a vendetta against a particular player or criticise their professionalism. For me that's too much and to be fair those people are very quickly told to STFU* on here in my experience.

Going back to the article (and video) it is a very interesting subject and its very positive that players are talking about it for the good of the young players coming though.

[*Silence The Football Utterances]

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 11:23
I think Twitter is a massively different beast to a forum in that you're talking directly to the player, who doesn't really get the opportunity to just ignore the comment until it's too late.
Any professional player browsing forums like this is a bloody idiot (or confident enough in his knowledge that we don't know what we're talking about to not care about what they read). This is muttering about someone who is absent, Twitter is shouting in someone's face. I guess Facebook is talking about someone elsewhere in the room.

Mental health though, has to be a problem at the top level of all sports.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2018 11:25 by Which Tyler.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 11:31
Yes, forgot about those as i'm too old for Facetwistagram. I don't go on any of them so I don't get to see the joyous trolling that no doubt goes on between 'fans' as well as world leaders etc.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 11:39
I do think the issue of trolling is more likely linked to your twitter, facebook and instagrams. I see James Haskell gets trolled a lot on Instagram but being him he throws back what he gets.

For others with less confidence though who are of a more nervous disposition perhaps that will affect them significantly I am sure. This site does come up when you search most things in google that an anxious player might - such as 'Bath Rugby News' or 'Bath Rugby Transfers' etc. Once found it isn't easy to ignore again!

I do agree though that foolish play - a silly penalty, a blatant yellow/red card etc - is fine to comment on accordingly. It is more things such as naming particular players for lacking commitment, being useless etc that I worry about on here! Nobody, particularly professional athletes, go out to purposefully be bad after all! I don't think it's a major issue on here though - just worth considering as said previously.

The matter itself is very interesting though and I wonder whether Bath have this sort of mental health coach in place? I remember on some commentary I heard that Tom Dunn had been seeing someone to help with his hooker skills. Some sort of blue room of calmness he tries to picture himself in when performing closed skills like throwing in and then a red room when on defence or carrying hard etc. All part and parcel of the game now I suppose!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 11:48
yes, they did.

[www.bathchronicle.co.uk]

Thomas ended up going to see Don Macpherson, the mind coach who lives in Bathampton and worked with the club in 2014/15, the season they got to the Premiership final.

So it appears that before it was a club thing, now an individual thing. Sounds like it should be a club thing again IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2018 11:49 by BathMatt53.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 12:42
Well not to belittle the serious of this issue but our results this season are playing hell with my mental health

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 13:35
I don't think a player, who has had a bad game, can expect to come on here or go anywhere else in bath and not hear about it. It is unrealistic to expect so.

For comments that go above that, I agree with Matt. Yes, some people go to far. Not that often and it is usually the same old people and they are usually either told to STFU or another poster jumps in to support the player. That might actually be quite a positive for the player.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 14:51
Quote:
BathMatt53
yes, they did.
[www.bathchronicle.co.uk]

Thomas ended up going to see Don Macpherson, the mind coach who lives in Bathampton and worked with the club in 2014/15, the season they got to the Premiership final.

So it appears that before it was a club thing, now an individual thing. Sounds like it should be a club thing again IMO.

I think it's better to be an individual thing as I personally used to think it was all pink and fluffy nonsense and closed my mind to it. No point forcing it on people.

For me though it did all change when I actually went to see one to help with certain aspects of my sporting performance. Transformed my mental approach and improved results.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 15:01
Quote:
OutsideBath

For me though it did all change when I actually went to see one to help with certain aspects of my sporting performance. Transformed my mental approach and improved results.

Don't tell me, you were negative beforehand?

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 15:04
What sport was it you were doing OB? Rugby or something else?

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 16:10
Quote:
Big Dog
What sport was it you were doing OB? Rugby or something else?

Semi pro Football and county golf, sports psychologist helped with my volcanic temperament.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net