rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

Re: V Worcs Match thread
05 January, 2018 21:15
AH spot on in saying we have strangled the life out of Warriors

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:19
SO. MUCH. BETTER.

I know people will say it's 'only' Worcester, but this has been absolutely our best performance of the season. Only Sarries at home and Scarlets away come close.

MESSAGES->author

05 January, 2018 21:21
Quote:
hasta
SO. MUCH. BETTER.
I know people will say it's 'only' Worcester, but this has been absolutely our best performance of the season. Only Sarries at home and Scarlets away come close.
We have played as well as this in patches but not for most of a match. Like tonight. Super performance

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:21
Can a forward help please? Are they allowed to pull Zach out of the way like that?
He surely wouldn't have stopped it, but may have slowed things enough for us to organise better (though probably not well enough)

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2018 21:22 by Which Tyler.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:23
Best of the season for me. Mostly pleasing the way we have improved so much from last week. Must have been BOBs pep talk.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:25
Clever by Kahn, even if ultimately not necessary

RAEBURN SHIELD

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:25
Wow... James Wilson. The flair has been unreal! Great to see such a performance after the last couple of games!

MESSAGES->author

05 January, 2018 21:28
Annoying- would be nice to bolster our points difference

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:30
Quote:
Toast and Marmite
meh, we're still +21 for the day, and a man down

RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author

05 January, 2018 21:32
Quote:
Which Tyler
Quote:
Toast and Marmite
meh, we're still +21 for the day, and a man down
Yeah - I won't lose sleep over it tbf. winking smiley

MESSAGES->author
trikidiki (IP Logged)

Excellent. Well played everyone.

Phillips try has made my season.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Who in the predictions league had us away on plastic by 20+ points? Awesome performance.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:34
Excellent response to the last couple of games. Personally couldn't pick anyone out that had a poor game (Rhys' kicking could have been better from hand but meh). The subs all performed well and Chris Cook shows us his best.

Excellent start to the weekend.

Exile_Dave
Exile_Dave (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:37
Thank you Barf !!! (Irish Fan)

I'd rather be a Paddy then a Quin!!

C'mon the boys in Green!!

benjbath
benjbath (IP Logged)

What a sublime performance. Worcester did not play badly, but we kept possession, tired them out and stifled their ball. Rhys had a great game, couple of nice tactical kicks into coffin corner and cook was magnificent (as was Kahn when he came on). Thought Watson showed up well and philips' try was class as was the flair at the end from Wilson. Tapuai or mercer my motm, both were magnificent in attack and defence, but special mention to Lahiff for his defence off the bench. That is one strong man.

by
by (IP Logged)

Good performance from the whole team, onto Scarlets now.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:38
Quote:
BathMatt53
Who in the predictions league had us away on plastic by 20+ points? Awesome performance.

[m.imgur.com]

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author

05 January, 2018 21:39
Quote:
BathBurger
Excellent response to the last couple of games. Personally couldn't pick anyone out that had a poor game (Rhys' kicking could have been better from hand but meh). The subs all performed well and Chris Cook shows us his best.
Excellent start to the weekend.
That's pretty much all you could pick out in all honesty- looked like a team and not a collection of talented individuals. Pleasing also that Phillips was focusing on points conceded and already talking about improving in training. Good mind set.

VinceJ
VinceJ (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:42
See Scarlets beat Dragons 47-13. Going to be tough one next Friday but feel better about it after tonight's performance.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

How did Healey alight on Philips rather than Cook or Mercer, who were both simply outstanding. Letís hope that kick-starts the final third of the season. Everything to play for now. Well done TB - players certainly responded to him.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

Mercer, Taps, Cook all excellent. Great impetus from the bench from Lahiff.

That Phillips try is so much fun to watch!

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:43
I hate to put a downer on things, but that won't helped Dunn's charge for the "most tackles in a season" award

RAEBURN SHIELD

Shadders
Shadders (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:45
Yeehaa. That was a very good performance. Cook was excellent, no bad performances...Zach top drawer again.

Would like to know how Garvís HIA went, otherwise no obvious injuries?

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:46
Quote:
hasta
I need someone with tech skills to make a gif

RAEBURN SHIELD

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:46
Quote:
TCM2007
Quote:
BathMatt53

[m.imgur.com]

Good work!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:48
Quote:
Optimist
How did Healey alight on Philips rather than Cook or Mercer, who were both simply outstanding. Letís hope that kick-starts the final third of the season. Everything to play for now. Well done TB - players certainly responded to him.

It was a Ďgruntyí performance and he picked the Ďgruntiestí player. Could have gone to half a dozen tbh.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:50
Canít help thinking that having a 12 and 13 who are actual centres helped.

As well as the forwards playing a far, far better game plan.

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:52
Quote:
TCM2007

Yes. To. That. Taps/JJ is by miles our best combo.

MESSAGES->author

05 January, 2018 21:56
Quote:
TCM2007
Raving about Taps on BT Sport,..

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:56
...and Willison?

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:58
Brilliant performance and agree Taps really makes a difference. Need a backup Taps and JJ for when they canít play ... not sure that Wilson and Clarke quite cut it.

Hope the injury gods smile on us ahead of next week. Garvey off for a HIA, any other walking wounded ?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 22:03
Quote:
Beergoggles
Brilliant performance and agree Taps really makes a difference. Need a backup Taps and JJ for when they canít play ... not sure that Wilson and Clarke quite cut it.
Hope the injury gods smile on us ahead of next week. Garvey off for a HIA, any other walking wounded ?

Obano? Or just a precaution?

Never In Doubt
Never In Doubt (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 22:08
Quote:
hasta

Yes - reminds me of Zac Feaunati running over Steve Booth many years ago.

wlatavg006
wlatavg006 (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 22:08
great performance, now Bath PLEASE back it up next week smiling smiley

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 22:29
Well I am gob smacked! Is that the majority of the side that played the last two league games?

Very very well done Bath. One of the best performances in the last two years, now lets keep it going.

IMO it was the forward effort which was much more aggressive and competitive, more than we have seen for some time. It proves we can do it against a good pack, and sincerely hope we can do this consistently for the rest of the season. Stooke was outstanding as was Mercer and Grant.

Hope Garvey Ok.

Watson looked really dangerous on the ball and Cookie had one of his best games. Taps made the difference with his direct running and Wilson looked good at the end.

Very well done Bath, against most peoples and pundits predictions after recent events, even with 20 injured players!

Please don't let the momentum drop Bath, there is no excuse if you can play like that, and on a surface we are meant not to like. Trips to Newcastle and Sarries should now become a breeze!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 22:49
Fantastic effort from the team and well done the coaches for getting the game plan correct.

Welcome back Bath, where have you been for the last few weeks?

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 22:51
Not one apology to the players BOB for calling them unprofessional etc.? Try this:

Hi, my name is BoB. I was disappointed in the recent Bath performances and said some stuff about the players that I shouldnít have. They do actually want to play rugby after all, I was wrong. Sorry. Yours, Always, BoB. Xxx

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 22:55
I f Ewells had been playing he would have ruined it!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 22:58
Certainly Charteris should be worried - when was the last time he ran in for an 80m try, stepping most of the opposition team before bamboozling the fullback like Phillips did tonight?!(ish)

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 23:14
The Phillips try was by far the champagne moment of the game, unless of course you are Chris Pennell!

As others have said Zach and CC were standout, but this was a team performance. And, what about Crazy Max Lahiff who was dragging people all over the place, and driving over the breakdown like a man possessed. Very impressive

I would love to know whether the change today at the breakdown was due to strategy or execution. Whatever the case, as Healey said, this is the way we should be playing.

Nice one Bath - super effort!

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 23:51
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Well I am gob smacked! Is that the majority of the side that played the last two league games?
Very very well done Bath. One of the best performances in the last two years, now lets keep it going.

IMO it was the forward effort which was much more aggressive and competitive, more than we have seen for some time. It proves we can do it against a good pack, and sincerely hope we can do this consistently for the rest of the season. Stooke was outstanding as was Mercer and Grant.

Hope Garvey Ok.

Watson looked really dangerous on the ball and Cookie had one of his best games. Taps made the difference with his direct running and Wilson looked good at the end.

Very well done Bath, against most peoples and pundits predictions after recent events, even with 20 injured players!

Please don't let the momentum drop Bath, there is no excuse if you can play like that, and on a surface we are meant not to like. Trips to Newcastle and Sarries should now become a breeze!

Fingers down the throat!!

MESSAGES->author
JimDaff (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 00:43
Much improved performance, would have liked to give them the try bonus point as I have always had a bit of a soft spot for Worcester.

A few players answered some critics tonight;

Mercer; massively improved work rate, adding jackeling and tough defence to his already excellent carrying.

Cook; a few snipes around the fringes payed off with two tries a much improved all round game too.

Philips; certainly added some grunt and a try that will probably make the premiership end of season highlight real. Best performance for Bath so far. Yellow card was unlucky, more of a cumulative team yellow IMHO. Seemed to work well with Stooke who was also busy and effective.

Van Vurren; decent cameo at the end with some big tackles.

There werenít really any poor performances, Burns looked off th pace but hasnít had a lot of game time recently. Kahn looked back to his old self after scoring a couple, hopefully back to form and confidence. Hope Obano is just a dead leg, he took a huge hit to the thigh and Garvey was left off as a precaution. Usual strong showings from the irrepressible Grant and Garvey, Taps showed his worth at 12, Watson a treat to watch and made a couple of lovely kicks, JJ getting some form back. Plenty to work on, but we cut right down on the aimless kicks and had a bit of spark in attack.

Final thought, who impressed Rob Howley the most; Priestland, Brew or Adams?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2018 00:49 by JimDaff.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 07:23
Adams impressed me hugely to be honest, thatís one talented kid and Worcs will do very well to not lose him back over the border.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 09:04
We definitely have to produce a similar performance to have any chance against Scarletts who also had a thumping win yesterday. I really hope this is the blueprint but we did play in a similar fashion against Toulon & then reverted to a couple of limp performances in the next two games. I donít think this was all down to ďworking hard on basicsĒ There must have been a re-think & hopefully this mind set will remain (Sm56)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2018 09:05 by Bath Hammer.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 09:56
I noticed a few times we were trying to be cute at the breakdown, get into a difficult (soon to be) outside position before the ruck formed, but unlike the England Italy match. It didn't look that effective, though it probably slowed things, but it suggests that we have been working on it.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 10:03
Well done boys in BB&W. Responded to their own poor efforts in previous games with gusto and style. Gameplan worked as well. Not much else to add to all the above, but esp pleased my adopted player had his moment in the sun! Lovely try! "Proper game of rugby!

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 11:03
Goodness, we were aggressive. 1 to 23 superb.

Without our Ďworld classí contingent (Louw, Faletau, Roko) our Ďsquad mení really stepped up. Philips and Stooke excellent. Mercer will be world class any day now. Cook had one of his best games. Taps was hard as nails. Wilson and Brew worked their socks off.

So pleased for the squad and the coaches. The aggression, commitment and execution the best Iíve seen in a couple of seasons.

Onto next week. With maybe Ewels, Underhill and Banahan back, it should be a cracker versus Scarlets.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 11:11
hopefully we have no new injuries and TB will have some really difficult choices about bringing back any players. Tough to drop any of the 23 from last night.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2018 11:13 by OutsideBath.

benjbath
benjbath (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 11:47
I have to say, jack Wilson has really gone under the radar, but played wonderfully yesterday. Defensively he kept Adams very quiet and martialed a few three on twos or two on Ines very astutely. Obviously his offload was sublime, but also just the yards he makes, his workrate and so on. Wouldn't start him with everyone fit, but he is one of the 'squad players' that people have recently been slagging off as a general concept for being not good enough who, quite frankly, is. Very pleased to have him and what I like is that with him on the field I feel in no way nervous despite him being 4th or 5th choice...
Agree re: zach and world class status being a possibility; even things like his ball presentation, his tackle technique, his rugby brain (saw him martialing garvey and Thomas into a far better carrying position) and his leadership skills are becoming more obvious each game. His obvious pace and power traits are now balanced with a hardworking, precise rugby brain. He has some way to go to oust faletau, but for his age I love the bloke.
The rest of the team were fab as well, but those two needed a mention. And brew is up there with Woodburn for aerial skills.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 12:08
Wasnít the offload by James Wilson? Agree Wilson was pretty good though, apart from one early mistake - gave away a penalty iirc? I think the boss is JJ though - knowing that JJ is absolutely nailed on to make his tackle meant Wilson was never tempted to bite in. Great thing about last night is it added a couple more names to those one will be happy to see in the teamsheet - Philips obvs, plus Wilson(s).

MESSAGES->author
roywalker (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 12:51
Quote:
Bathovalballer

Hope Garvey Ok.

Yea, nice one. No apology for any of the defamatory comments? Didnít think so.

Well played, Bath. You did is proud.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 15:07
Highlights of last night worth a watch for Garvs and Phillips' tries!

[m.youtube.com]

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 15:33
Bet the orders for Gucci loafers and fluffy bath robes are flooding in, after last night's excellent performance!

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 15:33
Pinched from Twitter. Looking at the second half possession of 33% we seemed to be under the cosh, yet we scored 5 tries!

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1515252470.jpg

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Awp24975
Awp24975 (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 17:44
Finally back in the land of living after an excellent result and even better night after!!!
Couldnít see us winning but glad we did. I thought Cook was outstanding, and am so pleased for him after all the rubbish I hear every week by people.
Looking forward to Friday night, hopefully Underhill and Charteris to return. Tough on the players who did so well last night but think they need to come back in to the team if fit.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 18:14
We won every lineout ball and also had massively increased physicality compared with previous weeks. Charteris doesnít get back in the team IMO, As was said above, play the same guys (injuries aside) they have earned the right.

Awp24975
Awp24975 (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 18:25
Disagree, Underhill to counteract Davies, and Charteris in for Phillips. Whilst he played really well Scarlets are a step up and someone with Charterisí experience and line out ability has to start in my opinion.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 18:30
Quote:
Awp24975
Disagree, Underhill to counteract Davies, and Charteris in for Phillips. Whilst he played really well Scarlets are a step up and someone with Charterisí experience and line out ability has to start in my opinion.

...but he gets smashed backwards every carry and loses lineouts whereas Phillips won his and crushed people.

Underhill on the bench, Grant has scored last two matches and is a hugely better ball carrier than Underhill. Mercer and Garvey also playing too well to be dropped. Unless Garvey fails on HIA in which case Underhill to 7 and Grant and Mercer full the other 2 positions.

Awp24975
Awp24975 (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 18:45
Every carry?? Easy to focus on the missed Wasps lineout at the end and the fact that the whole team have been playing so badly and things not clicking. Last night things clicked, but in my opinion keeping the team the same would be wrong. Charteris is one of the best line out operators around and does plenty of work around the pitch that goes unnoticed. Phillips was superb, and would be tough to drop him but believe Charterisí experience against a vastly better team in Scarlets is the way to go.
Also feel that you need to nullify Davies so you go Underhill, then make the call between Grant and Mercer at 8 with Garvs at 6.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 18:47
Itís a nice dilemma to have, with the injuries we have had the team has picked itself - Iím pleased that we are in a position to have this debate!

Awp24975
Awp24975 (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 18:49
and glad we agree to disagree in a civilised way!!

Gussieboy
Gussieboy (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 18:50
Great result, great performance, our best performance of the season IMO and Wuss have hit some firm recently, have they not beaten Sarries and Tigers at Welford Road? Little surprised that some on the Wuss board are giving the ref some stick, watched it twice now and thought JP had a good game (twice!!). Hopefully onwards and upwards,

Awp24975
Awp24975 (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 18:55
Quote:
Gussieboy
Great result, great performance, our best performance of the season IMO and Wuss have hit some firm recently, have they not beaten Sarries and Tigers at Welford Road? Little surprised that some on the Wuss board are giving the ref some stick, watched it twice now and thought JP had a good game (twice!!). Hopefully onwards and upwards,

Thought we got very lucky with the knock on in the tackle and no yellow for Phillips, however apart from that thought he was good.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 19:15
Perhaps lucky with the knock on. Unlucky with the penalty against Garvey at the end of the first half. Couple of other decisions that could have gone the other way.

Excellent performance, great win away on a surface we don't seem comfortable on, even though we often train on (half a) one.

Gussieboy
Gussieboy (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 19:34
Yeah the knock on may have been fortunate, but I thought it was a 50/50 call to be honest - itís a law I hate and I always like to see common sense prevail.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

07 January, 2018 08:53
Much as I enjoyed the performance and result there remains one nagging question for me. What is the explanation for the see-saw in performances.

Why is it that one week we come out and are so submissive in defence, conceding yards at every tackle and not competing at all at breakdown then another week, like against Sarries, Toulon and Wuss for example we are quick and strong in our defence line, harrying the opposition to behind the gainline and really messing up their ball at the breakdown?

Is it the gameplan set down by the coaches and the players playing to it? If so, as against Wasps it is pretty stoopid gameplan. Or is it the players just not executing what was done on the training paddock all week? If so then it is a collective effort so why and who decides this?

Baffled

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

07 January, 2018 08:59
Iím hoping that they will have watched the game back, had a collective lightbulb moment and that will be the way that we continue to play right up to the last minute of the premiership and European cup finals. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

07 January, 2018 09:06
"What is the explanation for the see-saw in performances. "

It might seem a bit trite, but perhaps it's the "good plan a, no plan b" story?

Wuss let us play our a game, and it worked. In a different way, teams like Toulon focus on their game and not disrupting ours, so we're allowed to play. When we play a team that's the to disrupt, we don't have anywhere to go.

MESSAGES->author

07 January, 2018 10:10
Not convinced by that Dan - you just have to look at the approach to the breakdown and the fact that Bath were playing a more possession oriented game. That was not the same game plan we saw against Wasps and Sale.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

07 January, 2018 10:28
Quote:
DanWiley
"What is the explanation for the see-saw in performances. "
It might seem a bit trite, but perhaps it's the "good plan a, no plan b" story?

Wuss let us play our a game, and it worked. In a different way, teams like Toulon focus on their game and not disrupting ours, so we're allowed to play. When we play a team that's the to disrupt, we don't have anywhere to go.

Perhaps Dan, however, I suspect Gaz is talking about player attitude and motivation. I'd suggest we started the season as a highly motivated team as evidenced by our results.
I suspect TB could do with a replacement for Tabai Matson, who by all accounts was liked by the players and able to motivate them, i.e. able to excecute the game plan.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

07 January, 2018 13:02
"you just have to look at the approach to the breakdown and the fact that Bath were playing a more possession oriented game."

I don't know that stats, but a comment from a wuss fan before the game suggested we couldn't play a less possession orientated game than them. Seems quite reasonable that that wills allow us to play our game.

I don't think the attitude and motivation covers it, if that were it you'd expect a fall off in form, what we are seeing is erratic. Good performances for a couple of weeks followed by poor performances for a couple. We're somewhat bi-polar if that's the case.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

07 January, 2018 14:17
Dan is close to right.

Different game plan need for Worcs from Wasps.

Worcs worked (keep it away from their quick counter attackers).

The Wasps plan (don't commit to rucks) quite plainly didn't work. At half time Toddy should have changed to a plan B (the Worcs plan) and we would have done better.

Someone tell me the merits ofsticking to plan A until it works?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

07 January, 2018 15:20
If plan A is to play as we did on Friday and not give the oppo a sniff then itís what Leinster and Exe use as their only plan and thatís good enough for me!

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

08 January, 2018 08:55
In a time of outrage and crucifixion for voicing opinions, I'm going to say something that is not PC: Seeing Alan Solomons post match interview, I can only hope he's something of a genius DoR, because came over about as inspirational as a tea-splattered doily. If I was a pro rugby player, I'd want to be propelled by fresh, new ideas, and Solomon looks like he's been dragged out of retirement. I hope that Worc know what they're doing, and that he's not just a cheap option.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

08 January, 2018 08:57
Big article on it in TRP. The best performing DORs / Head Coaches from the championship asking why, not matter how well they do, they rarely get these positions.

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

08 January, 2018 09:44
Same as in the Football Premiership - the same names go round and round. They want experience so they say. But experience of what? And how can you gain that experience if you don't get a chance to try things, cock up and learn. I can't believe these experienced seasoned campaigners can come up with any new ideas at their advanced age but do just enough to keep teams up. hats off to Glos for giving the job to someone reasonably 'new' and look at the result. Our coaches for U18/U19/20 seem to do well with limited time and resources but they are never considered.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

08 January, 2018 09:57
Looking at Solomon's CV, it's as long as Andy Goode's weekly grocery list, but most are brief stints. I agree that we're falling into the same trap as English football in failing to nurture young English talent as coaches.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

08 January, 2018 10:20
Quote:
Boldangrey
The Wasps plan (don't commit to rucks) quite plainly didn't work. At half time Toddy should have changed to a plan B (the Worcs plan) and we would have done better.

We comfortably won drew the second half against Wasps 12-12. In fact we won the final 57 minutes by 26-12. Something obviously worked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2018 10:21 by Optimist.

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

08 January, 2018 10:27
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
Boldangrey

We comfortably won drew the second half against Wasps 12-12. In fact we won the final 57 minutes by 26-12. Something obviously worked.

Good point. And in the first 20mins, it was the combination of not committing to rucks AND two or three mistakes that handed all the possession to Wasps. Had we cut out just a couple of the mistakes, the possession stats and scoreline would have looked different.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

08 January, 2018 11:06
Quote:
jayeatman
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
Boldangrey

Good point. And in the first 20mins, it was the combination of not committing to rucks AND two or three mistakes that handed all the possession to Wasps. Had we cut out just a couple of the mistakes, the possession stats and scoreline would have looked different.

This comment can be rinsed and repeated for the Newcastle match...and reversed for the Quins match! Is it one team starting well, one team starting badly, or does it take to two tango?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net