rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

Embarrassing...
05 January, 2018 21:31
There are those, many of whom posted in the ďTeamís UpĒ thread, who are quick after a loss to tell us how ďembarrassedĒ they are by the team.

Well after tonight I am embarrassed by the poor performance of some of our fans, who showed a disgraceful lack of faith. Powder puff supporters. No grunt to their belief. You know who you are.

I look forward to the rapid change of tune from some, and being told (rightly) that beating the 11th placed side is nothing to be excited about.

Stuart

Former ed.

Never In Doubt
Never In Doubt (IP Logged)

Re: Embarrassing...
05 January, 2018 21:34
Agreed. The same 'fans' who point out our injury list and then castigate those who have to play almost every game for their lack of energy and effort.

Excellent game from all - really glad Cookie had a stormer.

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:37
Big performance from the team , so my prediction was way off. Now, letís see if our team can put the same performance next week and the week after , in other words, consistently!

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:38
Odd post Stuart given 99% of the posters on ere are rightly nervous about our roller coaster performances but generally look for reasons to be positive. The other 1% never have anything positive to say and never will.

Much better performance Bath; bite, desire, and real competition for the ball. Letís enjoy our victory and leave berating the 1% doomsayers for another day.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:43
The doubters tend to come on once when we win saying how glad they got it wrong but post incessantly when we lose. I predict a quiet weekend for COML from the doubters!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:47
Quote:
BathPatriot
Big performance from the team , so my prediction was way off. Now, letís see if our team can put the same performance next week and the week after , in other words, consistently!

Here we go again!

Well said Stuart.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:49
The Bath haters on Shedweb who insult Bruce and everything Bath related will also be having a quiet evening after praying earlier for a Worcs win.

Our loafers were obviously well suited to the pitch!

Excellent result. Great start to the weekend.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:53
Ah yes, should have realised that the carpet would be an excellent surface for our loafers. Simples.

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:57
Sorry , donít get it. I admitted I was wrong about tonightís game ( which I am very happy by the way ) but one win does not mean much if you lose next week. I want only the best for my club but they have be so up and down this season, consistent good performance is the name of the game, whatís wrong in saying that?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 21:59
Quote:
B4thB4ck
The Bath haters on Shedweb who insult Bruce and everything Bath related will also be having a quiet evening after praying earlier for a Worcs win.
Our loafers were obviously well suited to the pitch!

Excellent result. Great start to the weekend.

Yes we are equal on points with them now, they had better hope that Northampton havenít trained like we did this week.

by
by (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 22:00
Wuss were favourites for valid reasons, Bath played brilliantly but so far everytime it seems like we've turned a corner, the media start spouting headlines like "something special about this Bath team" and we get thrashed.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 22:01
Quote:
BathPatriot
Sorry , donít get it. I admitted I was wrong about tonightís game ( which I am very happy by the way ) but one win does not mean much if you lose next week. I want only the best for my club but they have be so up and down this season, consistent good performance is the name of the game, whatís wrong in saying that?

Not referring to you, BathPatriot.

Stuart

Former ed.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 22:01
Quote:
BathPatriot

Nothing IMO. There was nothing in the last few results that showed we were going to go out tonight, play like that and smash an in form worcs on their ground. The lads played how we know they can and we should all celebrate that rather than more bickering?

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 22:08
Stupid post. Or are these "doubters" allowed to rub your face in it after the next loss?

Our form over the past month or two absolutely deserved pessimism, but I'm very pleased by the great performance. Those first ten minutes where we kept hold of the ball for 20+ phases was stunning.

Great stuff Bath, but we've been here many times, let's see another big performance next week.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 22:13
I think your comments on keeping possession were constructive and pertinent Ballsout.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 22:15
Well coached, ballsout. You're the greatest.

Trawling
Trawling (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 22:25
I think you will find that BoB declared recently that he was 'ashamed' of a Bath performance - just waiting to hear that he expresses the same emotion regarding his pre-match pronouncements.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 22:32
Quote:
ballsout
Stupid post. Or are these "doubters" allowed to rub your face in it after the next loss?
Our form over the past month or two absolutely deserved pessimism, but I'm very pleased by the great performance. Those first ten minutes where we kept hold of the ball for 20+ phases was stunning.

Great stuff Bath, but we've been here many times, let's see another big performance next week.

Correct, itís a stupid post. Just as those who claim we are useless papered lightweights are stupid.

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 22:35
I just imagine people grunting, Hulk-like 'Stoooooke!' 'Philllliiiippppssss!'

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 22:40
Itís amazing the extent to which BoB casts a shadow over this site. If his posts were deleted there would remain a good spread of views, pretty much all of them valid. Ballsout on one end of the cup-half-empty-but-decently-informed spectrum, Stu - with his ability to extrapolate some stat that proves everything is fine - at the other end, and most of the rest reacting with realism and informed, personal views. But the sheer volume of insulting drivel posted by BoB really does skew the whole site and draw too many threads and posts - this included - into squabbling. In his way heís as damaging to interesting and balanced discourse as Bod was at his most belligerent.

ilovebathtime
ilovebathtime (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 22:50
I think after the last couple of games the criticism was completely justified. What happened today was that we completely changed the way we set out to play. We kept the ball for long periods, kicking was kept to a minimum, but when we kicked, generally we kicked with intent and into space. We were tough and physical. In truth everything we haven't been for large parts of the season.

The frustrating thing for me is that we don't play with that intent every week. I don't expect us to win every week, to be honest I don't expect us to play well every week, I do expect to be able to see what we are trying to do, and today I very much could.

I hope we an continue to play this way. There have been far far too many false dawns before though, so I am not too excited yet.

One person I am really pleased for is Cook. He has been great other than one error against Toulon away all season. I was previosuly critical of him for the stupid errors he'd make every game, but it's great to be proven wrong, and at the moment he should be starting every week.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 23:00
Quote:
ilovebathtime
I think after the last couple of games the criticism was completely justified. What happened today was that we completely changed the way we set out to play. We kept the ball for long periods, kicking was kept to a minimum, but when we kicked, generally we kicked with intent and into space. We were tough and physical. In truth everything we haven't been for large parts of the season.
The frustrating thing for me is that we don't play with that intent every week. I don't expect us to win every week, to be honest I don't expect us to play well every week, I do expect to be able to see what we are trying to do, and today I very much could.

I hope we an continue to play this way. There have been far far too many false dawns before though, so I am not too excited yet.

One person I am really pleased for is Cook. He has been great other than one error against Toulon away all season. I was previosuly critical of him for the stupid errors he'd make every game, but it's great to be proven wrong, and at the moment he should be starting every week.

Good post

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 23:02
Didn't know I made such an impact Optimist which I don't believe I do.
I can assure you if you talk to many seated around me, all long standing supporters, some of their views on our displays in recent times and criticisms make anything I write look innocuous in comparison. I write it as I see it, and am not going to say things are great when they are blatantly not! However, I do praise when things go well and unlike many others, are prepared to apologise and admit when I am wrong.

Until banned, I will continue in similar vein and will continue to support the side as vocally as I can, home and sometimes away, until I can no longer draw breath.

Happy New Year to all our readers and lets hope that tonight's performance is the inception of how we play the rest of the year.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 23:05
You still donít get it BoB! Itís not the performance criticism that people get annoyed about - itís the personal stuff like the players being pampered and not caring and being unprofessional and sitting around all day picking their noses that gets on peoples t1ts.

HamishMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 23:18
Fantastic performance - let's not be drawn into squabbling amongst us! We all support the same team (some more optimistically shall we say than others) after all!

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 23:20
I think we have had good fun with the spa and loafers jokes. Maybe this should become our new brand as supporters, Shedweb think we all wear waxed jackets and drive Range Rovers so we might as well play on it.

I can afford cheap loafers. The spa day I can save up for. The Range Rover I will definitely need help with.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 23:22
I agree that all this personal stuff is way over the top & some of the adjectives used are totally inappropriate but I donít agree that we should never be critical of how the team has played & on the back of such performances express doubts about a game against a team who have been in excellent form. Iím sure that had we turned up at Sixways with a performance like against Exeter, Sale & Wasps we would have been beaten. Fortunately we learnt from those matches & totally changed our approach which was great to see & long may it continue. I just hope Garvey will be fit for the Scarletts.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 10:06
Quote:
Bathovalballer
I can assure you if you talk to many seated around me, all long standing supporters, some of their views on our displays in recent times and criticisms make anything I write look innocuous in comparison. I write it as I see it, and am not going to say things are great when they are blatantly not! However, I do praise when things go well and unlike many others, are prepared to apologise and admit when I am wrong.

Hesitate to post this to be honest as it might be seen as piling in on BoB however, the word "condescending" springs to mind about some of your comments.

Taking every opportunity to say the same thing over and over in different threads is patronising. We get that you think the players are spoilt, you only need to say it once, I am not stupid.

Passing judgement on the whole club because of a bad run is unbalanced. Its a lively Premiership just accept it. Nearly all the top clubs have had bad ones but we move on.

Supporting is about accepting weaknesses but cheering anyway. If others around me were hurling negatives I'd like to think I would tell them to sit down and shut up. That's what supporters do.

As for apologising wouldn't it be better to desist from saying foolhardy things in the first place rather than throwing out the odd "sorry" just to appease.

Finally tagging on Happy new Year a week late and out of context doesn't make it better either.

Happy New Year!

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 10:13
I'm just amazed that any of my fellow posters worry about what any of us think. They are all personal opinions. But I am getting a sense that one or two posters are not simply supporters/season ticket holders/ and the like. Unalloyed praise for every Bath player and performance is not what this messageboard (or any of the other clubs' messageboards) is about. We have had to put up with some loyalty stretching performances recently - trouble is most of us know when a team is 'trying' or just turning up coz they are being paid to do so. You can't fool us - even if to some professionals we appear to be either female (so thus know nothing about anything(Sm1)), old, senile and have no idea what or how the game can be played, even if we never had the talent to do so!

Long Term
Long Term (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 10:14
Bathovalballer we won. As far as I am concerned you have nothing to say!

Ian E
Ian E (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 11:37
It was a great performance really pleased for Phillips who showed what he is capable of backed by a good solid all round performance. Loved his efforts during the game and his try epitomised the efforts of Bath long may it continue

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 16:08
Most were angry at the aimless kicking. It only happened a couple of times on Friday and we saw the benefits. I see nothing wrong with people pointing out areas where we need to improve.

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 16:21
Quote:
B4thB4ck
I think we have had good fun with the spa and loafers jokes. Maybe this should become our new brand as supporters, Shedweb think we all wear waxed jackets and drive Range Rovers so we might as well play on it.
I can afford cheap loafers. The spa day I can save up for. The Range Rover I will definitely need help with.
Perhaps we can all chip in and have an ERE Range Rover?

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 16:32
Quote:
Toast and Marmite
Quote:
B4thB4ck
Perhaps we can all chip in and have an ERE Range Rover?

Sounds good, can I choose the colour? Never liked green. Definitely not a cherry red. Let me think...

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 16:40
Hot pink.

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

08 January, 2018 10:16
It's one thing muttering FFS (or yelling at the TV) at every poor kick or dropped pass during the game. It's another to bottle up the bile and regurgitate it for posterity on ere.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams
2018/9 Victor Delmas

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

08 January, 2018 12:13
We've had some poor performances lately, no doubt about it. We've just had one good one.

Let's not get carried away. There's a couple of pessimists here but there's also a couple of optimists who always seem to think everything's fine, they are equally annoying imo.

If we win our next 4 Prem games i'm sure we'll all be very impressed.

Saints (H) You'd fancy us for this one.

Newcastle (A) Both Leicester and Gloucester have won up there.

Sale (H) Would hope we can reverse the last game's result and scoreline.

Quins (A) Leicester have won there. Quins results have been good at home in general though.

This season has felt like 1 step forward, 2 steps back, 2 steps forward 1 step back, etc.
We've not carried an effective 'style' from one match to the next yet. Doing it for 3 or 4 games on the bounce is turning a corner imo. Anything less is less.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

08 January, 2018 12:30
Quote:
Danchinho
If we win our next 4 Prem games i'm sure we'll all be very impressed.
Saints (H) You'd fancy us for this one.

Newcastle (A) Both Leicester and Gloucester have won up there.

Sale (H) Would hope we can reverse the last game's result and scoreline.

Quins (A) Leicester have won there. Quins results have been good at home in general though

Let's be honest - none of those 4 games are easy or guaranteed wins.
Saints may be about to have a resurgence.
Newcastle are excellent at home and just beat Exeter there.
Sale have beaten us once this season and are improving greatly.
Quins are getting a few back from injury but if they lose a couple to England etc could be there for the taking.
If the team performs like it did Friday night though we could easily win all of them and with a few faces hopefully coming back into the fold it could be a good little run we have.

This week and next are really important if we want to compete in Europe though otherwise our season outside of the national cups and league could be done. Will be watching with eager anticipation Friday night at the Rec praying for a result after what will no doubt be another good committed performance by the guys!

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

08 January, 2018 12:44
Just to show the topsy-turvy nature of the season, the least likely AV win for us is at Newcastle - partly because we will be much more affected by 6N call-ups than they will, but also because they are proper top 4/6 contenders now. I can't see us turning them over, but the other 3 are winnable. So, we'll probably beat Newcastle, lose to Saints and Sale at home and then smash Quins.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

08 January, 2018 13:17
At heart I would guess we're all archetypal fans flipping from blind optimism to hopeless pessimism, often within the same 10 minute passage of play. For me it was only at 70 mins and 21 points clear against Worcs that I started to relax. Then Burns missed his pen and I assumed the Worcs great escape was back on.

With this in mind, assume headlines on Sat to be either 'brilliant Bath leave Scarlets red faced' or 'hopeless Bath kick Euro hopes away' as the headlines following Fridays game.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

09 January, 2018 00:21
After being soundly beaten by Exeter we played well in both games against Toulon & then were soundly beaten in the next 2 AP matches before the strong performance against Worcester. This to me displays inconsistency rather than a transformation into a top 4 side. It is easy to get carried away by a good win as easily as it is to despair after a bad result. All teams crave winning consistently but only a few achieve this. We donít know how it will pan out for Bath - win most of our matches, lose most of them or more likely a combination of the two.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 January, 2018 07:18
The ability to beat almost anyone on our good days at least gives us hope but also explains our frustrations.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

09 January, 2018 14:06
Quote:
BathMatt53
The ability to beat almost anyone on our good days at least gives us hope but also explains our frustrations.

+1

The thing that frustrates me most is not knowing what level of performance Bath are going to provide week to week. Who knows which Bath is going to turn up against Scarlets this week, although the concern is that they've saved the worst for our home games this season.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

09 January, 2018 14:38
Yup, those home matches against the likes of Leicester, Saracens, Quins and Toulon were all dreadful affairs...

Are you aware that we've lost 3 matches (from 9) at home this season; by 1, 1 and 5 points?
Conversly, of course, the 6 home wins we've had this season were by 10, 16, 23, 2, 2 and 5. But no, you're right, we save up our worst for home.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2018 14:45 by Which Tyler.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 January, 2018 14:42
The worst have to be Saints, Exe (both away) and Wasps (home) no? The Newcastle and Glos home games were poor results but at least we weren't thrashed.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

09 January, 2018 14:47
Quote:
BathMatt53
The worst have to be Saints, Exe (both away) and Wasps (home) no? The Newcastle and Glos home games were poor results but at least we weren't thrashed.
I'd argue that Saints and (most of) Exeter both away are the only two times we've played frank badly this season; other's (like Sale [A] or Wasps [H]) we played ok, just not as well as the opponent.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

09 January, 2018 14:48
Quote:
Which Tyler
Yup, those home matches against the likes of Leicester, Saracens, Quins and Toulon were all dreadful affairs...
Are you aware that we've lost 3 matches (from 9) at home this season; by 1, 1 and 5 points?
Conversly, of course, the 6 home wins we've had this season were by 10, 16, 23, 2, 2 and 5. But no, you're right, we're rubbish at home.

Leicester was away, unless you are referring to the AWC, which I discount as not much more than a friendly.

The losses at home to Falcons, Glos and Wasps irritated me far more than the away losses which were largely expected.

I'll agree though that Sarries and Toulon at home were decent performances.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

09 January, 2018 14:49
Is there a blackadder interview after this game I had a look but didnt find it - I would like his take, i.e. was there a different gameplan, did the players finally execute on the gameplan, did they go off plan and start playing rugby or none of the above.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

09 January, 2018 15:01
[www.bathchronicle.co.uk] Thoughts of Blackadder on this thread (23:04)

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

09 January, 2018 15:05
[www.bathchronicle.co.uk] ...and those damned statistics!

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

09 January, 2018 23:57
Quote:
woodpecker
Is there a blackadder interview after this game I had a look but didnt find it - I would like his take, i.e. was there a different gameplan, did the players finally execute on the gameplan, did they go off plan and start playing rugby or none of the above.

He didnít really say anything meaningful - only the boys working hard & going back to basics. It seemed clear to me that there was a welcome change of approach. Against a stronger side it will be interesting to see whether they build on that or go back to that timid kicking game.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 11:11
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
woodpecker

He didnít really say anything meaningful - only the boys working hard & going back to basics. It seemed clear to me that there was a welcome change of approach. Against a stronger side it will be interesting to see whether they build on that or go back to that timid kicking game.

In the previous games it looked like there was a specific gameplean not to commit to rucks and to defend, for the Worcs game that was clearly not the case, i.e. to say that was just a higher level of physicality soundsa bit odd. Being able to retain the ball is based on performance, there is no gameplan to lose the ball to the opposition whilst passing or going into contact. I'm less worried about the kicking.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 11:28
Quote:
woodpecker

In the previous games it looked like there was a specific gameplean not to commit to rucks and to defend, for the Worcs game that was clearly not the case, i.e. to say that was just a higher level of physicality soundsa bit odd. Being able to retain the ball is based on performance, there is no gameplan to lose the ball to the opposition whilst passing or going into contact. I'm less worried about the kicking.

Todd was interviewed after that game and said explicitly that there was no such gameplan - hence his huge frustration at that time.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 11:41
I wonder whether it is just that the tactics have been wrong at times this season? We were so good at times against Scarlets away, Toulon x 2 and then in that Worcester performance that it makes you wonder?

To not commit at the rucks against Wasps probably was reflecting the fact that we had lost Louw and Faletau to injury the week or two before!

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

10 January, 2018 16:09
Quote:
Big Dog
I wonder whether it is just that the tactics have been wrong at times this season? We were so good at times against Scarlets away, Toulon x 2 and then in that Worcester performance that it makes you wonder?
To not commit at the rucks against Wasps probably was reflecting the fact that we had lost Louw and Faletau to injury the week or two before!
Well we didn't have them against Worcester either!

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 22:03
Quote:
hasta

Didn't we look great tonight. A great team, well coached, there for all to see.

Time for a change. This team is going nowhere.

Bathovalballer

12 January, 2018 23:01
Think the thread title sums up our once great rugby playing club. Some of the 'old boys' on the pitch could do better than our present shower and show more pride, skill and fight.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 23:20
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
hasta

Didn't we look great tonight. A great team, well coached, there for all to see.

Time for a change. This team is going nowhere.

Quote:
Bathovalballer
Think the thread title sums up our once great rugby playing club. Some of the 'old boys' on the pitch could do better than our present shower and show more pride, skill and fight.

Does the losing side play rubbish or the winning side play well! Please try to recognise a class side when one visits us.

We were rubbish, but how about praising Scarlets for their excellence, coached by Wayne Pivac who joined them in 2014, doesn't happen overnight.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 23:27
Quote:
shipwrecked
Lalalalalala I'm not listening, everything's fine

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 23:37
Are we the most inconsistent team in the Premiership or maybe even in UK & Ireland? I am struggling to think of any other team which so regularly goes from such extremes of bad to quite good. What is more we donít seem to play any better at home than away.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 23:45
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
shipwrecked

No, but how about explaining what YOUR solution would be rather than tear the club apart. Its not the first time you have been offered this opportunity. Silence was the answer last time.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 23:54
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
shipwrecked

No, but how about explaining what YOUR solution would be rather than tear the club apart. Its not the first time you have been offered this opportunity. Silence was the answer last time.

I'm not tearing the club apart. I very rarely criticise players. I'm tearing the coaching team apart because we look the poorest coached side in the league. I've suggested many times the areas of our game that is inept to middling. We have no style of play. Look laboured in possession. Our heads drop easily. The list goes on. What solution are you looking for from me? Time for a change to the coaching team. Preferably two or three changes.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 23:55
I thought this thread might come back to bite us. Scarlets were superb, Bath ... not quite so. Question is if Todd is given as long at Bath as Wayne Pivac has had at Scarlets can he deliver for us. Iím just not sure.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 23:57
It was obvious this stupid thread would come back to bite us as soon as it was posted.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 00:03
Quote:
ballsout
It was obvious this stupid thread would come back to bite us as soon as it was posted.

You are like the hindsight mystic meg, you are awesome.

(Tactics: lie low then put the boot in when when we lose. Job done, pat on back)

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 00:15
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
ballsout

You are like the hindsight mystic meg, you are awesome.

(Tactics: lie low then put the boot in when when we lose. Job done, pat on back)

What hindsight?? It's been clear for ages that two or three useless performances follow one good one.

And I didn't lie low last week, I'm glad we put in a decent shift and said as much but tonight's schooling was predictable.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 00:34
The question I asked, that is are we the most inconsistent team in the league has not received a response probably because it is difficult to assess. However, I tend to think that our inconsistency ties in with criticisms of the coaching. If a team is well coached it should reach a level of consistency which we have certainly not done and this makes it impossible for any of us to judge where we will end up this season. That is not to suggest sacking the coaches but perhaps they should re-examine their approach & ensure the coaching team is equipped with the full compliment of skills asap.

Jamesy
Jamesy (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 04:51
That looks like a very poor performance. I remain unconvinced that Bath are a cohesive unit and wonder how long TB will be allowed to preside over inconsistency ?

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 05:54
Crap

Crap

Crap.

Beaten by a better side. YES

Trouble was it was obvious

So what has to change?

A. Luck?

B. Players?

C. Owners?

D. Ownerís mindset?

E. Nothing

F. Coaching.

Iíd start by signing 8 James Phillipsess and forget about everything except bashing people.(as long as Ant can be cryogenically suspended until such time as we have it all worked out).

Thought their 9 was a strutting annoyance, (yes I do know who he is) but whoís job was it to flatten him.?

LOVE PEACE AND HAPPINESS

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 08:32
Quote:
sid the seagull
Crap
Crap

Crap.

Beaten by a better side. YES

Trouble was it was obvious

So what has to change?

A. Luck?

B. Players?

C. Owners?

D. Ownerís mindset?

E. Nothing

F. Coaching.

Iíd start by signing 8 James Phillipsess and forget about everything except bashing people.(as long as Ant can be cryogenically suspended until such time as we have it all worked out).

Thought their 9 was a strutting annoyance, (yes I do know who he is) but whoís job was it to flatten him.?

LOVE PEACE AND HAPPINESS

A very astute analysis.(Sm161) HOP, HOP

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 10:43
TBH I just wish Todd would come out and say what the gameplan actually is. Because with the interviews and the Comms ("sometimes it's better not to have the ball vs. "we want to keep the ball") compared to the actual performance I'm outright confused and the players probably more so.

Short of saying beating a poor Worcester side is the 'blueprint' (good word for a drinking game last night), it's hard to tell what it is. Wait for things to go our way?

Scarily we seem to lack the mental awareness to play a structured game and no inclination/consistency to play an unstructured game.

Tomato Soup
Tomato Soup (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 10:51
The issues that I have with Todd Blackadder and the management of the club is that I just can't see any plan whatsoever.

Our recruitment has been so poor and we know that we have issues in the front row, scrum half and in the centres.

We have injuries to key players but some that are always injured need to be put out of their misery.

With arguably the best squad in the world Blackadder won nothing at Crusaders, why should that change? Why be surprised?

Why the hell have they let Banahan go? Surely they could have trimmed elsewhere to accomadate one of our best and well loved players. It senseless and shows no direction.

Cook was schooled last night and neither he nor Khan can pass consistently and quickly. How many times did the first receiver have to reach into the air?

The focus of the owner seems to be on the stadium right now and it would be great if that matter was finally resolved but its been going on for 20 years and during that time we have had 20 years of mediocrity.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 11:03
We either donít have a game plan or we do have one but itís not understood by the whole team. That would seem to be down to the coach.

I donít sense there is a groundswell of opinion on ere to change Todd yet but how long would people put up with muddled inconsistent performances before coming to that conclusion?

And who would we change Todd for presuming the Sandy Park messiah isnít up for a change yet ?

I donít think Todd is the man to deliver for Bath and itís a question of when, not if, he goes.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 11:04
'20 years of mediocrity ' true statement, maybe we should just accept that our team is average,mediocre and will never be a top side. My answer as an ex player is Coaching stability which with all the chopping and changing over the years has in my opinion does us no good.(Sm128)

Bathovalballer

13 January, 2018 11:14
If anyone runs at us and plays with precision and skill, we seem to go into a trance. Our so called defense is somewhat leaky.

Forget trying to play flashy running rugby Bath, and go back to basics, like tackling, running in support of one another, passing and kicking and drive over/ clear out rucks and mauls, kicking for position and chasing them. At least Brew does it but all the others do not. Why?

Lastly I don't think we are very fit, any prolonged running and gaps appear and we are off the pace.

We NEVER seem to learn or improve and that I find the most frustrating. Ok we are rebuilding but let us see some evidence of that improvement, not going backwards.

We will end up about 9th in the league the way things are at present. Looking at the fixtures, I cannot be confident about winning any games and fear more drubbings.

Tomato Soup
Tomato Soup (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 11:28
We have regressed as far as the playing performances are concerned since Mike Ford and the initial recruitment drive of Watson, Flo, JJ and Eastmond happened. At least we knew there was significant investment and a plan to play champagne rugby.

Players like Garvey are gold dust to our team. I have seen comments in knocking him last night and I don't think they are justified. If anything there are some that really tried too hard last night and I include Zak Mercer in that category.

The issue is with the recruitment of cheap players, the coaches and management. Booth has also won nothing and we need a proven coach.

I watched Bath as a boy in the 1980's and have had a season ticket for 14 years. John "Knuckles" Connolly was head coach then and the team was poor. It feels the same with Blackadder.

I hope we are looking for a new coach in the background right now.

Tomato Soup
Tomato Soup (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 11:34
Just to add.

While we were parading our "legends" on the pitch last night. The Welsh side rubbed our noses in the reality of the here and now.

We should banish looking back at those guys until the current crop have earned the right to share the pitch with them.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 11:53
Yes, let's get rid of the Head Coach.

Oh, hang on, we don't have one.

There's your 1st problem to fix.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 12:25
It doesn't matter if we have a gameplan or not. If the players can't look after the ball to save their lives (they can't, that much is obvious) any semblance of a "plan" is pointless. We're useless at looking after it, and have been for ages.

The players give their all, so to blame them is foolish, but time and time again we're schooled or outplayed. Time for a change in the coaches, plural.

BB&W 1865
BB&W 1865 (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 12:58
Quote:
Beergoggles
We either donít have a game plan or we do have one but itís not understood by the whole team. That would seem to be down to the coach.
I donít sense there is a groundswell of opinion on ere to change Todd yet but how long would people put up with muddled inconsistent performances before coming to that conclusion?

And who would we change Todd for presuming the Sandy Park messiah isnít up for a change yet ?

I donít think Todd is the man to deliver for Bath and itís a question of when, not if, he goes.

Agreed, I see zero progress under his reign. Almost every time we play a decent team we are uncompetitive.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 13:47
Mr. B Hammer,
Thank you so much, I hadnít realised that actual sarcasm has to have a little placard underneath it saying so. How simple.

HOP

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 21:06
If you forced me to go with either the Glee Club (Stuart (TM Bod)) or the Head of Miserable (Ballsout) I'm with HOM.

Last night I went to a mentally expensive restaurant for my Birthday (which I paid for), the good news is I sold my 2 season ticket seats insted of watching another helping of dross (apparently).

The confusing thing is why we seem to play so much better against weaker teams (sarcasm).

I'm going to refrain from saying sack the coaches, but the current set-up isn't performing, that's a fact.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 22:55
Or, or.. that's a false dichotomy and the truth lies somewhere in-between?

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 23:03
Quote:
sid the seagull
Mr. B Hammer,
Thank you so much, I hadnít realised that actual sarcasm has to have a little placard underneath it saying so. How simple.

HOP

Fair point. I looked for something more subtle but the available emojis are rubbish (Sm60)

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 23:52
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
sid the seagull
Mr. B Hammer,

HOP

Fair point. I looked for something more subtle but the available emojis are rubbish (Sm60)

Agree BH, emojis are simply not performing, they just haven't been trying no grunt, or commitment. winking smiley

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 08:46
Quote:
Woodpecker
Last night I went to a mentally expensive restaurant for my Birthday (which I paid for), the good news is I sold my 2 season ticket seats insted of watching another helping of dross (apparently).

Bad luck having to buy your own Birthday dinner, might need a quiet word with your family / friends on the protocol here.

There was some dross on show at the Rec on Friday night but there was also some of the most sparkling running rugby you would ever care to see. Thatís the benefit of having two sides on show, three guesses which side showed which qualities.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 10:23
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
sid the seagull
Mr. B Hammer,

HOP

Agree BH, emojis are simply not performing, they just haven't been trying no grunt, or commitment. winking smiley

Not a single BB&W emoji.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net