rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

"That is the blueprint for Bath"
05 January, 2018 21:34
Whatever you think about Austin Healey - absolutely spot on.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

Re: "That is the blueprint for Bath"
05 January, 2018 21:47
Yup.

Stuart

Former ed.

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 22:05
Certainly looks like the way for us to play, great result.

timfrombrighton
timfrombattle (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 23:17
When Healey concentrates on analysing the game he is as good as anyone. Otherwise he annoys the hell out of me with the baiting of everyone around him, like a pathetic 15 year old Grammer schoolboy. Iím pleased he gave the MOM award to a Bath second row today, I just think he got the wrong one. Stooke was magnificent.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 23:28
Stooke has been magnificent all season and like Healey, Eddie Jones has selected the wrong Bath second row for England duty as well.

Keep it up Elliott you deserve our thanks and international recognition.

Trawling
Trawling (IP Logged)

05 January, 2018 23:45
Wibble

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 01:51
Interesting though
Do international players have to be chosen from the womb?
Or does a good old bloke a chance?

PECK

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 07:32
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Stooke has been magnificent all season and like Healey, Eddie Jones has selected the wrong Bath second row for England duty as well.

I thought we may get through the week without a Ewels dig since he wasnít actually playing, but of course I was wrong. Of course I was.

Stooke is an excellent second row and Iím a big fan but the issue maybe that he has no real point of difference over a lot of very good aggressive bashing locks, like Spencer etc. Eddie is attracted to players who have a USP such as Itoje and he has seen something in Ewels (lineout leader?) which he likes...donít be a hater.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

06 January, 2018 09:16
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Bathovalballer

I thought we may get through the week without a Ewels dig since he wasnít actually playing, but of course I was wrong. Of course I was.

Stooke is an excellent second row and Iím a big fan but the issue maybe that he has no real point of difference over a lot of very good aggressive bashing locks, like Spencer etc. Eddie is attracted to players who have a USP such as Itoje and he has seen something in Ewels (lineout leader?) which he likes...donít be a hater.

Ah Ewells, The source of all evil!!!!!!!!!!!

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

07 January, 2018 09:39
I know that Flats rates him, but I simply donít get the Spencer love in.

A big guy, yes. But little else.

MESSAGES->author
roywalker (IP Logged)

07 January, 2018 14:04
Agreed. Flats talked him up and to be fair he hit a lot of people in the game but his technique was flawed I thought.

He was so keen to tackle and then smash through his man that if he tackled the offloader or was drawn to a decoy runner, he was still connected to the player he was tackling, smashing him, long after Bath had moved on to the next phase exploiting the hole heíd left. Needs to do more than crunch people me thinks to challenge Lawes or Launchbury who always seem to be back up looking for work.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

07 January, 2018 23:38
Watched Spencer for a couple of games since the chat on here. Very strong and committed. Good speed with the ball too. When I was watching him defend he seemed slow to get up and get in position. Seems like he was really blowing. I'm not talking about against us btw, didn't notice him as much at all tbh. Apart from the occasional hit.
When I've watched him, and please remember I don't know much, he hasn't looked like he's got much of an engine in comparison to say, Stooke. Spencer looked completely gassed after 50 minutes. Like, totally immobile, hands on knees, not holding the guard position despite it being his role (in the games I've paid attention to). Very slow to get into position. What do I know? But I wouldn't think that's not what TB would be looking for.
I think in modern rugby, a tight 5 player has to really get about the pitch. Incredibly tough and not everyone has the engine for it.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

08 January, 2018 13:05
I don't know why Ewels is disliked by some on here. I personally think he is a seriously good player. He seems to have been in the team for while now which is perhaps why everyone forgets that he is only 22!! He is still a very young guy learning his trade.

He and Stooke as well are not the same type of player. Stooke is more your big enforcer type who works relentlessly all game to hit stuff and cause damage. He's great at it and at 24 has tons of growth still to do which means England honours could easily follow!
Ewels is more of your lineout operator and thinking second row. He has the finer touches of skill whereby he can step in as a first receiver and spread the ball nicely. He can also play 6 and is effective there.

This isn't to say that neither of the two can do the same as the other but there are a few differences between a 4 and 5 that set them apart. Can't we just be happy that we have two great young players and that one of them is getting some international recognition in what is arguably England's most competitive position given any two of Launchbury, Lawes, Itoje, Kruis, Isiekwe and Ewels could start and the difference would not be so extraordinarily large that you'd notice between any of them!

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight; 2018-19 Jonathan Joseph

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

08 January, 2018 13:23
Is there anyone other than BOB who doesn't like Ewels?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

08 January, 2018 13:34
No

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

08 January, 2018 13:58
Can Ewells do this though?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/NwCjEDg-JmQyZYt4GW-wePb68Rxek5PNvicTXQY1puP70RQFSOGirjwZL8xTxcwl_bL9Ljn2sygAkwHABJZQBfPU26e-gtwYu21NNFE3u4AILVe6C5XiRkYd5qwq2hfMHxWNeopzsvHKEYRyK9xef_4-EkHR8qynVvbvUa5leBk8OjBIlsGLsDe9SiIuH_guTTSbdpAGZ8Uoa7oHQhobcwERR9XEU8jEJjvCfYONYo562eSwMFKLib_qT_z9877aR5MxH0PdiPazhGevs3HNNV6g9z01SuTjaZtcknnIhzNUj42-qfzdL2PlIVE0d6EauDkNB-hq-CISj8WX710mCu--LJ3fdSl4DY0VfEfDzJLCusj0mBfgj7VZiKpQUVqxAaIBdelUute54chQyr_l7lpZUT-ao4XrCuSYasu5Y67kUtkTHSuLifWtULFRRh-qYjbLA3-EroE11j88Ib9a-wgR-yXjC1yiO7WX9UYEIkq2UTS7u2VNqW82J43CJ_oB9xw44goPBx3cBCmw3Zlp6FDdtIwUNGz1R8AEnbyVAbXNuRZf6NDrl3Ejoxc1hDs_iRd2DrSIS5kZqNQzLOtNK4uwA7DScAuzYxDCrhM=w549-h373-no

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

08 January, 2018 13:59
No

Ewels and Stooke are Bath's best current combination - despite Charteris's international pedigree.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2018 19:57 by Boldangrey.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

08 January, 2018 14:35
Quote:
Big Dog
I don't know why Ewels is disliked by some on here. I personally think he is a seriously good player. He seems to have been in the team for while now which is perhaps why everyone forgets that he is only 22!! He is still a very young guy learning his trade.
I think you overstate the matter, there's no plurality who dislike Ewell's, just a single, vociferous poster; a few others who don't see what the fuss is about; and a few ex-backs who know that their opinion is non-valid

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD

Pie-Half
Pie-Half (IP Logged)

08 January, 2018 15:07
Quote:
timfrombattle
When Healey concentrates on analysing the game he is as good as anyone. Otherwise he annoys the hell out of me with the baiting of everyone around him, like a pathetic 15 year old Grammer schoolboy. Iím pleased he gave the MOM award to a Bath second row today, I just think he got the wrong one. Stooke was magnificent.

1-Agreed totally about Healy. When he can stop being a bad case of thrush and just concentrate on rugby, he is very good, some marginal pro-Leic/antiBath biased but that understandable.

2-Would have had cook as man of the match. I thought his work round the breakdown, speed of service, kicking, his snipes to set up 2 trys, harrying around the park was exemplary. Was summed up by his kick from the turnover on our line and the chase to then pin them on their own 10m.

3-Stooke i have really changed my mind on this year. Real unsung hero and a true trooper

Andy Goode's body double.

Bring back rucking and speed up the game. Simple, for rucks sake.

A.B.L.

Charlie Ewels - Adopted player 2017/18
Levi Douglas - Adopted player 2017/18
Tom Homer - Adopted player 2016/17

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

08 January, 2018 15:28
Quote:
Which Tyler
Quote:
Big Dog
I think you overstate the matter, there's no plurality who dislike Ewell's, just a single, vociferous poster; a few others who don't see what the fuss is about; and a few ex-backs who know that their opinion is non-valid

Right you are.. I try my best to stay off of the singling out individuals so tend to add plurality where required to avoid doing so! I appreciate the majority probably like Ewels and the vast majority of the rest of our team!!

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight; 2018-19 Jonathan Joseph

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

08 January, 2018 15:35
Healey irritates the hell out of me - but then I think that's the point of Healey. The one who i can't stand is Ben Kay. His forensic dissection of every single micro-aspect seems to say that the entire game of rugby has been invented technically in a coach's mind, the 10,000-repetitions-rule carried out on the training ground, and then mechanically executed on match-day. It's as if every single player is Geoff Boycott, when the reality is half of them are David Gower and they've given less thought as to how a piece of skill happens than they have to their next Instagram post.

Having said that .... I did think that two Sarries players - Schalk Burger and Farrell - 'executed' a skill in a very premeditated manner yesterday. Both of them carried the ball to the line with the ball in two hands and then made as if to tuck the ball in to take into contact, only to flip it out one-handed with their right hand coming over the top of the ball. It's not a new skill as such - but it's usually something spontaneous that happens as a player is being tackled and they free an arm. They both used it very deliberately to draw the tackler towards them, but offloaded it just before contact. I might be imagining it, or may have completely missed it happening several hundred times before, but it felt like something they'd rehearsed - a variation on the George Ford delayed pass.

Biddy
Biddy (IP Logged)

08 January, 2018 23:25
Was Phillips performance last Friday a touch of Exeter at Bath Rugby? An unsung hero being MOM and playing for the team!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 January, 2018 07:28
Quote:
Biddy
Was Phillips performance last Friday a touch of Exeter at Bath Rugby? An unsung hero being MOM and playing for the team!

Brew and Stooke have been like that all season. Plucked from nowhere (or at least not playing) and giving it their all every week.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

09 January, 2018 09:01
Lahiff not far off the same.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net