rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

Team's Up!
11 January, 2018 11:57
Bath Rugby team to face Scarlets

15. Anthony Watson

14. Matt Banahan

13. Jonathan Joseph

12. Ben Tapuai

11. Aled Brew

10. Rhys Priestland

9. Chris Cook

1. Beno Obano

2. Tom Dunn

3. Henry Thomas

4. Elliott Stooke

5. Luke Charteris

6. Matt Garvey (c)

7. Sam Underhill

8. Zach Mercer

Replacements

16. Michael van Vuuren

17. Lucas Noguera

18. Max Lahiff

19. James Phillips

20. Paul Grant

21. Kahn Fotuali’i

22. Freddie Burns

23. James Wilson

Slowly... beginning to look more robust bench

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

Re: Team's Up!
11 January, 2018 12:05
Nice to see a 23 in which there are some arguments as to who should be starting and who should be finishing. All of numbers 17-22 have some sort of case for starting.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 12:07
Quote:
Optimist
Nice to see a 23 in which there are some arguments as to who should be starting and who should be finishing. All of numbers 17-22 have some sort of case for starting.

Ouch - poor MVV!

Decent 23 and weather will be cold but dry and not too windy according to the BBC. COYB!

Shadders
Shadders (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 12:11
Scarlets;

15 Leigh Halfpenny, 14 Johnny Mcnicholl, 13 Paul Asquith, 12 Scott Williams, 11 Tom Prydie, 10 Rhys Patchell, 9 Gareth Davies, 1 Rob Evans, 2 Ken Owens ©, 3 Samson Lee, 4 Tadhg Beirne, 5 David Bulbring, 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 James Davies, 8 John Barclay

Replacements; Ryan Elias, Wyn Jones, Werner Kruger, Lewis Rawlins, Josh Macleod, Aled Davies, Dan Jones, Hadleigh Parkes

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 12:14
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Optimist

Ouch - poor MVV!

Decent 23 and weather will be cold but dry and not too windy according to the BBC. COYB!

Not at all. Tom Dunn is pretty much nailed on for player of the season so far. If you can 'make a case' for MVV to start ahead of him, then you should probably write and offer Donald Trump your services to argue that he is, indeed the greatest president of all time.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 12:25
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Optimist

Ouch - poor MVV!

Not at all. Tom Dunn is pretty much nailed on for player of the season so far. If you can 'make a case' for MVV to start ahead of him, then you should probably write and offer Donald Trump your services to argue that he is, indeed the greatest president of all time.

I wasn't disagreeing! (it would take a stable genius for that).

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 12:33
Scarlets front and back rows look strong. Don't know a thing about their 2nd rows - but with names like Tadgh and Bull(r)ing they sound like the sort of chaps that BoB would definitely approve of!

It's going to be a belter!

by
by (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 12:33
Stooke to make his 50th appearance for the club as well, impressive given that hes only been here for 18 months.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 14:03
We beat up their pack in the first game but some say it was because of the recent games they had experienced. It was men against boys for much of the game.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 14:44
"Leigh Halfpenny and Johnny McNicholl have both been ruled out of Scarlets' game v Bath after failing fitness tests. Rhys Patchell now at full-back, Asquith on wing, Hadleigh Parkes into centre."

Apparently both pulled up in the captain's run today!

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 14:51
I wouldn't wish an injury on any player. But if it has to happen, then a minor muscle strain to a key player the day before a near-as-dammit-knockout game against Bath, will do.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 14:51
Scarlets team to take on Bath Rugby at the Rec on Friday 12th January, KO 7.45pm;

15 Rhys Patchell, 14 Tom Prydie, 13 Hadleigh Parkes, 12 Scott Williams, 11 Paul Asquith, 10 Dan Jones, 9 Gareth Davies, 1 Rob Evans, 2 Ken Owens ©, 3 Samson Lee, 4 Tadhg Beirne, 5 David Bulbring, 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 James Davies, 8 John Barclay

Replacements; 16 Ryan Elias, 17 Wyn Jones, 18 Werner Kruger, 19 Lewis Rawlins, 20 Josh Macleod, 21 Aled Davies, 22 Steff Hughes, 23 Will Boyde (number TBC)

The bench could now be a point of real strength for us in this game.

Salmon

Adopted Player 17-18 & 16-17: Dave Attwood
Adopted Player 15-16: Matt Garvey

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 15:27
Struggling to understand the reasons for picking RP over FB, lost count of the number of important missed touch kicks that RP has made.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 15:30
Quote:
Optimist
Scarlets front and back rows look strong. Don't know a thing about their 2nd rows - but with names like Tadgh and Bull(r)ing they sound like the sort of chaps that BoB would definitely approve of!

Tadhg Beirne is a v good player, an Irishman on his way back to Munster for season 2018/19, who will be sorely missed by Scarlets, I think he was voted player of the year in their PRO12 winning team. Don't know about the other guy. Key players out and further disruption b4 travel bodes well for Bath, I am feeling a little more confident about the result now...

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 15:53
Freddy had a similar battle with Owain Williams when he went up to Tigers. It's much to his credit that he got on with it, and came out as first choice in the end. He'll be massively frustrated, but i'm sure he'll grab his chance when it comes. If it's not in this week or next, then he's going to be hugely important for us during the 6Ns, and after that the shirt is his to keep or lose.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 15:54
Quote:
Optimist

Agree about the back row Opti, James Davis is an excellent player, John Barclay is hugely underrated and Shingler is finally getting National recognition.

Having said that Mercer is on fire and Underhill will be keen to prove he is back. Add to that Mr Garvey and it will be an interesting test for both.

I do think the battle will be up front and being at the Rec will just shade it for me.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 16:19
+ Grant has been outstanding recently, so he's ready to come on for any of the back-row. And bringing Kahn on at 60 virtually guarantees you 2 open-side style turnovers too.

Talking ourselves into a frenzy of positivism now. Given the way the season has panned out to date, it's almost guaranteed to be a disappointment!

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 16:21
Still waiting for BoB's bucket of cold water.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 16:23
Quote:
jayeatman

Scarlets by 50

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 16:36
Quote:
jayeatman

Here you go:

Scarlets' props are strong.
Their second rows are tall and 'never take a backward step'.
They are fielding a full 3 players in their back row.
Their scrum half can pass and has never been to a spa in his life.
Their fly half can kick and has dropped the ball once in 27 years.
They have two centres who bleed Scarlet, red and daffodils.
Their wingers are fast.

Exeter by 20.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 16:36
Quote:
Optimist

A beautiful pair of grunters.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 17:09
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
jayeatman

Here you go:

Their wingers are fast.

Exeter by 20.

But what about their loafers. Clarks or Dolcis?

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 17:13
I'm afraid that I am going to Jinx it and say that we will win with a bonus point...there, I've done it.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 17:20
80% home win 0% away win and 20% still to decide on Prediction League

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 17:22
Anything less than a BP could be fatal anyway. Toulon are bound to take 5 points from Treviso. If we beat Scarlets, then they will have nothing to play for in their final game against Toulon, so could well concede a BP.

Would 22 points be enough to qualify? 19 won't be.

BathOtter
BathOtter (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 17:27
Quote:
Optimist
Anything less than a BP could be fatal anyway. Toulon are bound to take 5 points from Treviso. If we beat Scarlets, then they will have nothing to play for in their final game against Toulon, so could well concede a BP.
Would 22 points be enough to qualify? 19 won't be.

Don’t forget the head to head result, which is the determining factor in equal points I believe. We have a points advantage over Toulon in the head to head matches, so if they get 2 x bonus point wins, even if we only get 1 bonus point win (Treviso) that will be enough to progress ahead of Toulon. Ie 9 points is as good as their potential 10 points. I think! Obviously 2 wins not a given either...

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 17:45
We all have a role to play in this
Huge atmosphere required
Come on you BBW
We go to win

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 18:51
Bath are so inconsistent that it's impossible to predict the outcome tomorrow.

I just hope we don't have another home performance like Falcons, Glos or Wasps and the team that played Sarries/Toulon at home turns up.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 19:12
Oddschecker has Bath 4/9 and Scarlets 53/21, a racing certainty then (Sm124). I think we'll do it...

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

by
by (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 19:35
Quote:
Optimist

Exeter by 20.

Made me laugh

22Dropout
22Dropout (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 19:37
That’s a pretty tasty looking side. Put Rocky, Francois, Toby, Ewels/ Atwood, Walker / Batty into that 23 and we’d really be cooking. Even as it is, with Home advantage and their late dropouts etc., we should still have enough, but e shouldn’t take anything for granted - they are a dangerous side, with little to lose!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 19:56
..and no whining yet about how many injuries we have! (i just saw that Clermont have the following out, just amongst the backs: Laidlaw, Cassang, Lopez, McAllister, Fernandez, Raka, Nakaitiaci, Fofana, Strettle, Rougerie, Penaud!).

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 20:45
Almost the same side that beat Worcs. I like it - continuity.
How many times have we remarked about changing centre combinations etc?

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 20:59
The key to winning at the away fixture was line speed in defence allied to bad weather forcing errors, we had a better plan than them on the day.

The weather will suit handling better with this game but I hope we can keep the same defensive speed and stop attacks early.

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 21:44
Good looking team there, although I feel Scarlets will push us hard. Bath by 2. It will come down to the wire.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 23:19
I believe as we are able to start many players who have taken the field consistently over the last 2/3 weeks, means we are now showing a little form and some confidence. The vital aspect is consistency of performance and hopefully we will be truly fired up for this game and hopefully be the precursor of another potential win in Italy next week . Both sides lack first choice players but overall Bath's back up and starters on paper are better. Therefore, anything but a Bath win must be considered a very bad failure. Also, although our home form has not been the best, it should swing it but I expect it will be tight.

Bath by between 5-10 points. C'mon you Bath.

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

11 January, 2018 23:37
We are all on board then!!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 07:09
Quote:
BathPatriot
We are all on board then!!

Oh dear, that doesn’t bode well! (Sm124)

HugoBoss
HugoBoss (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 08:18
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
jayeatman

Here you go:

Their wingers are fast.

Exeter by 20.

(Sm6)(Sm6)(Sm6)(Sm6)

Really good looking side we are fielding; strength returning in various positions. Very much hoping Underhill takes it a little easier (if he is capable of such a thing!) and realises he needs to try and pace himself. Against Scarlets we will need his attributes and I don't especially want to see him disappearing off after 35 minutes.

Here's also hoping the holy grail of continuity at centre continues to reap rewards if the game allows-a combination of Taps and JJ has a very exciting ring to it.

I hope we wrap up the group as near as damn it tonight so against Treviso we can rest a few faces like Brew for example, as well as get Freddie a far more sizeable opportunity to stake a claim to start.

It'll be close, Bath by 7.

Adopted Player 2017-18.....Semesa "Freak of Nature" Rokoduguni

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 08:41
To add some balance I don't think anyone can say we're getting some form back after one game given our recent pattern (Quins GOOD, Exe BAD, Toulon A OK, Toulon H GOOD,Sale BAD, Wasps BAD, Worcs GOOD). If we rate Toulon away as BAD we've got a nice Oompah band rhythm going; GOOD,BAD,BAD .... GOOD, BAD, BAD .... GOOD ?

We should also recognise that we're playing a team on paper that's as good as or better than us. This contrasts with a team that we should have beaten (and did).

This will be a real test and I hope that we can build on the good work from last week. Maybe a little bit more hope than expectation given our season to date.

Bath by 2 points.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 09:01
Quote:
Beergoggles

We should also recognise that we're playing a team on paper that's as good as or better than us. This contrasts with a team that we should have beaten (and did).

Their 15 is possibly as good, their bench certainly isn't.

For Worcs we were 3 point favourites, for this one 6 point favourites - playing at home should be massive. As a wise (very) old person once said, 'Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering' so stuff the balance, lets wallow in positivity for once!

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 09:15
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Beergoggles

Their 15 is possibly as good, their bench certainly isn't.

For Worcs we were 3 point favourites, for this one 6 point favourites - playing at home should be massive. As a wise (very) old person once said, 'Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering' so stuff the balance, lets wallow in positivity for once!

Yoda?

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 09:31
'Quick and dirty' analysis of tonight's packs:

Bath (kg)
1. 119
2. 106
3. 118
4. 117
5. 125
6. 125
7. 103
8. 105

Total: 918

Scarlets (kg)
1. 116
2. 109
3. 115
4. 106
5. 113
6. 105
7. 93
8. 102

Total: 859

Diff: 59kg in Bath's favour (9st 4lb!)

Back 5 heights are in our favour also.

Salmon

Adopted Player 17-18 & 16-17: Dave Attwood
Adopted Player 15-16: Matt Garvey

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 09:38
You guys thought I was the pessimist, but after reading some of the comments it appears I am one of the most positive and optimistic. Realistically we should win, albeit in s close result, and have no valid excuse for loosing, especially as we are at home.

C'mon you Bath, lets take it to the Saucepan Makers.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 10:11
Quote:
Bathovalballer
You guys thought I was the pessimist, but after reading some of the comments it appears I am one of the most positive and optimistic.

100% of predictions are for a Bath win BoB.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 10:21
Quote:
BathSalmon
'Quick and dirty' analysis of tonight's packs:
Bath (kg)
1. 119
2. 106
3. 118
4. 117
5. 125
6. 125
7. 103
8. 105

Total: 918

Scarlets (kg)

1. 116
2. 109
3. 115
4. 106
5. 113
6. 105
7. 93
8. 102

Total: 859

Diff: 59kg in Bath's favour (9st 4lb!)

Back 5 heights are in our favour also.

Salmon

So we have it on grunt factor, yeah!

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 11:55
They weigh heavy but do they grunt loud???

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 12:04
I think those pack weights and backs heights are misleading.

The Bath players were measured with loafers on.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 12:18
Quote:
B4thB4ck
I think those pack weights and backs heights are misleading.
The Bath players were measured with loafers on.

Back 5 in the pack (i.e. The line out jumpers)

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 14:43
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
jayeatman

Here you go:

Their wingers are fast.

Exeter by 20.

I just legitimately laughed out loud at this. Had a couple of strange looks from those in the office! Very good Opti (Sm152)

I really fancy us for this. The late pull out of Halfpenny + McNicoll and the ban for Steff Evans means that none of their dangerous first choice back three are available. Their starting 10 has had to move to 15 and they are missing arguably the only player in their starting XV who is World Class in Jonathan Davies who is sadly for him, injured.

A real chance for us to get a good win under our belts (a BP would be ideal but I'll take 4 points initially) and we can then go to Italy with plenty of hope that we can get through to the quarters!

Bath by 14 imo - COME ON YOU BATH!

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 15:04
Quote:
BathMatt53
playing at home should be massive.

It should have been massive against Gloucester, Newcastle, Wasps, Benetton too

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 15:15
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
BathMatt53
playing at home should be massive.

It should have been massive against Gloucester, Newcastle, Wasps, Benetton too
Just think of it as how bad would the scores had been if we had been away without the massive home field advantage. It's called 'the glass half full not half empty' way of thinking

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 15:18
Not sure why you lumped the Benetton game in there. They've only lost by more twice this season and gave both Scarlets and Toulon a scare.

Anyone who advocates we rest a few players against them, IF we win this week, is underestimating them.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 15:28
Yes we have lost home games, but given the choice I would rather be home than away (unlike Newcastle oddly enough who have lost more at home than away).

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 16:51
Quote:
BathMatt53
Yes we have lost home games, but given the choice I would rather be home than away (unlike Newcastle oddly enough who have lost more at home than away).

I'd actually have confidence in getting the right result tonight if we were away, we just seem to apply ourselves more consistently away from home.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 19:10
Quote:
Big Dog
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
jayeatman

Here you go:

Their wingers are fast.

Exeter by 20.

I just legitimately laughed out loud at this. Had a couple of strange looks from those in the office! Very good Opti (Sm152)

I really fancy us for this. The late pull out of Halfpenny + McNicoll and the ban for Steff Evans means that none of their dangerous first choice back three are available. Their starting 10 has had to move to 15 and they are missing arguably the only player in their starting XV who is World Class in Jonathan Davies who is sadly for him, injured.

A real chance for us to get a good win under our belts (a BP would be ideal but I'll take 4 points initially) and we can then go to Italy with plenty of hope that we can get through to the quarters!

Bath by 14 imo - COME ON YOU BATH!

They still have quality throughout so I’m not sure how much easier it will be. We have to carry on where we left off against Worc & stifle them & be alert defensively plus start well!

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 19:13
For once the game is not at stupid o'clock my time so...

COYB!!!!!!!!!!

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2018 19:14 by joethefanatic.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 19:52

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 19:53
Fab try by Scarlets!!

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 23:45
Quote:
CoochieCoo
80% home win 0% away win and 20% still to decide on Prediction League

There are none as visionary as the one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind...

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

12 January, 2018 23:56
If only the Prediction League or Stuart's statistics twisted to show we're not that bad... were of any use whatsoever.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 00:00
Fantastic performance by Scarlets and a well deserved victory.

Shame the large number of drunken yob Welsh fans didn't have the same class as their team.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 00:14
Quote:
ballsout
If only the Prediction League or Stuart's statistics twisted to show we're not that bad... were of any use whatsoever.

Tw@t

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 13:15
Quote:
OutsideBath
Fantastic performance by Scarlets and a well deserved victory.
Shame the large number of drunken yob Welsh fans didn't have the same class as their team.

Agree, many in the pubs at lunchtime already half-peed (not that I'm against a drink or two or three).

Yes, Scarlets very good and deserved the points
(Sm128)

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 19:38
Scarlets were very good to watch. Real treat to see rugby played like that.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net