rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Comeonmylovers.co.uk
Comeonmylovers.co.uk (IP Logged)

Stadium Development
12 January, 2018 18:21
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Awp24975
Awp24975 (IP Logged)

Re: Stadium Development
13 January, 2018 09:22
A roof for the terrace is all I want please (although last night would be deafening with a roof the amount of noise the Scarlets made!!)

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 15:57
Coochie

My thoughts:

1. Design –

• Modern design (not Georgian pastiche) but in keeping- using Bath stone where appropriate
• Roofing only for spectator comfort-allowing maximum daylight on playing area
• Height & profile not to obscure view of Abbey from south or Sham Castle from Abbey
• WiFi)

2. Environment –
• landscape riverside including trees & shrubs
• Ensure view over river is maintained
• Include bars & restaurants in west stand with view of river

3. Transport and Access -
• Wheelchair accessibility at all gates
• Wheelchair area on each side of pitch - in stand accessible by ramp
• Bicycle racks

4. Matchday Experience –
• All seats to be able to see all sides of pitch, plus local landmarks (i.e.
• Abbey, Sham Castle) within current views
• TV screen to be visible from all areas of ground
• Audible PA system that works regularly

5. Community,
• A music venue (summer time)
• Use (as now) for significant amateur rugby events – Combination Final etc.
Available for other sports in off season (within limits of pitch maintenance
• Education – consider educational tours to describe the architectural, structural and engineering approach & how it was achieved.
• Summer use by charities – e.g local underprivileged or handicapped children
• Available for other sports in off season (within limits of pitch maintenance)

6. Economic Impact -
• Music venue
• Conference facilities
• Gym facilities/squash courts?

PG

MESSAGES->author
Tall Paul (IP Logged)

16 January, 2018 19:19
As someone that lives too far away for a day trip, I tend to come with my brother and sister in law to matches and make a weekend of it.

For me the biggest improvement would be a roof. Having got soaked through to the skin on more than one occasion, it really takes away from the enjoyment of the entire weekend. I also think it would benefit the atmosphere. Though I hate to say it, the Shed is world famous, and living in Leeds for 10 years, the South Stand at Headingley is just as infamous in RL circles. I have seen the roof credited with adding to the atmosphere of both of these stands, and it is rare that the Rec is complimented in the same way. And I don't believe for one second that it is down to us fans!

Aside from a roof, and at the risk of being controversial, I would like a plastic pitch. I know that historically we have not done so well on them, but in my opinion they encourage a more open, running style play and that is more likely to make me want to come to the city to watch. We already practice on half of one and enough other teams use them now to make them not too strange.

Matt Garvey- proudly adopted for 2017-18

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

16 January, 2018 19:20
I would love a plastic pitch, but suspect we won't have a chance.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

16 January, 2018 19:28
Thank you all, please keep it coming. It would be nice to know that the COML voice is loud and influential.

Hasta, I understand that all options are on the table. Plastic pitches I think are not so much a planning issue but a Trustees permission issue.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

16 January, 2018 23:04
Borrowed from TG Pips’ format.

1. Design -
• TBH, I’d be happy with Georgian pastiche, but maybe a better detail than SouthGate. I’d be happy for columns all the way along the riverside frontage, even up to the slope (so long as the trees get relocated) as that would give a maximised terrace for cafes, conference, whatever.
• Roof all the way round, with light fittings attached so no poles up high and getting in the way of the view. No need for a steep rake to keep sight lines/height to a minimum. Maybe glass at the rear for some connectivity to the green hilled views.
• Happy to play up to the Roman theme if it gives a sense of identity. Agree not to everyone’s taste, but I worry today’s modern is tomorrow’s Sports Centre.
• If possible, incorporate the Sports Centre under the stands and build the conferencing/hotel facilities where the spots centre is (bar the pool). I know it’d be a shame to waste the recent investment, but it’s a good opportunity to replace the central eyesore into something more sympathetic.
• East Stand should split in two and rotate outfield by pivoting at the north east and south east corners opening up a huge seating area onto the majority of the Rec, possibly enabling cricket to be played on there. The stand to be named after me, with my current mood projected as a giant avatar at the back of the stand showing my elation (thumbs up or barely persceptible nod) or displeasure (Brexiteer on question time shades of purple) depending upon how the team are playing. My booming voice over the PA exhorting more grunt punching and/or punch grunting whether a game is being played or not. If this is too much of an engineering feat, then I want the Rec completely flat with a buried stadium that Thunderbirds 200m up into the air, hovering on jets or up to 12 tethered drones from Argos. I’m pretty sure I saw this in a Mario game on the Wii, so it can clearly be done.

2. Environment –
• Landscape riverside including trees & shrubs where possible, and enhance the entrances. Living roof?
• Hybrid pitch to improve resilience. I think a plastic pitch may not be ideal for such a culturally sensitive area, though would benefit the community and usage much more. The latest organic infill ones may prove the best of the lot though.
• Non-game rooftop tours for a great view and revenue.

3. Transport and Access -
• Set down and pick up shuttle buses from the P&Rs, maybe for those of limited mobility from the train station. Using injured players as drivers should mean we are able to put on 20+ coaches each game.
• Better security, bollard protection, etc. for what will be a big crowd in a small area.
• Sensible gate entry. Friends 4 rows from me have to use the Sports Centre Gate, me the William Street. A bit of flexilibility (middle third of seats in a stand can use either entrance) or the ability to nominate a second entrance would make life easier for quite a few supporters I reckon.

4. Matchday Experience –
• Seat spacing suitable for adult use. I know I’ve put on weight over Christmas, but there’s still only one of me in that seat.
• TV screen to be visible from all areas of ground.
• Audible PA system that works regularly.
• Enhanced bladder capacity for those who sit on my row.
• Enough facilities or swifter pay/delivery mechanisms so we can do a minimum of two out of loo, bar or food instead of picking our most favourite/desperate.
• Better beer. I like a decent pint of Bath Ales. What is served is not a decent pint. I know it’s keg, but coupling it with a plastic cup makes it taste far away from what it should be. I know there are logistics involved with serving a decent ale, but it makes me not want to drink at the Rec. Maybe consider getting some local craft beer in which is far better matched to keg. Bath Ales’ own Beerd have an ok range, better still get Electric Bear or Kettlesmith in. There are plenty of phenomenal breweries in Bristol too. Indie Spirit should have a stand in there. Also consider serving it in those cans where the whole of the top can be ring pulled off. No pour time, much less of a projectile. Can provide an example if you need.

5. Community -
• What Tetley said.
• Consider Bath City playing there for their big games. Ken Loach’s ticket to mysteriously disintegrate into dust when presented at the gate.
• Incorporate a multi function clubhouse that meets the aspirations of All Sports For All.

6. Economic Impact -
• Music venue - either as a building or enable open air in the stadium (I still want Metallica opening the place as a nice hello to all three of the antis).
• Hotel. Not sure on this one, if its even a consideration. If there’s too much commercial stuff, and IF Bath Rugby Stadiums Offshore Limited are paying a smaller rent than we’d have got from a private landlord, then the development wouldn’t sit right with me. Perhaps the trust could be gifted ownership of any hotel and manage the revenues to maintain funding. Perhaps too much commercial risk though. I just don’t want us to be getting away with exploiting prime land for Primark prices or all our campaigning about community has been for nought.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

17 January, 2018 08:21
Very good. On the pastiche point, part of me wants to see it. The other part feels that getting it right would be very hard, and even then still not make everyone happy, so feels that a good contemporary design might be preferable.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

17 January, 2018 09:27
Let’s face it, there is no one design that won’t split opinion, so I guess it needs to best meet UNESCO’s requirements above all.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

17 January, 2018 09:40
Yes and UNESCO have allowed the shambles on the Rec as well as the Bus station in granting and renewing WH status. It wouldn't take much to better what we have at the moment.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

17 January, 2018 10:49
How big is the Bath panel of UNESCO representatives? I’m assuming they will continue to have a massive say at all stages in development. Whilst anything is an improvement over the scaffold and barn we currently have, it’s still a revolutionary change and an opportunity for a significant improvement so we can’t assume their endorsement based on what’s currently there.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

17 January, 2018 12:10
This is the salient comment in respect of the approach to the development and UNESCO

Quote:
In respect of contemporary development and contemporary architecture, the Management Plan (B&NES) notes at paragraph 5.2.32 that ‘there are now some notable examples of contemporary architecture within the site, including the Thermae Bath Spa, the Bus Station, Milsom Place and the Holburne Museum. Previous references in this Plan and the UNESCO Mission report have indicated that high quality contemporary architecture is a desirable method of design for new buildings.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

17 January, 2018 12:39
OK, that says a lot right there then. Unlikely to be pastiche I guess.

Has anyone considered an additional pedestrian bridge connecting to Parade Gardens? Could also help with footfall on match days.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

17 January, 2018 13:23
Quote:
hasta
plastic reinforcement for me, but certainly not a plastic pitch.
Desso hybrid is comfortably the best option on the market at the moment IMO.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/01/2018 13:24 by Which Tyler.

MESSAGES->author
Tall Paul (IP Logged)

17 January, 2018 21:23
Given that they are also doing Wimbledon, how about a retractable roof? Would make our Welsh contingent feel more at home, too!

Matt Garvey- proudly adopted for 2017-18

Pie-Half
Pie-Half (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 19:10
Quote:
Which Tyler
Quote:
hasta
plastic reinforcement for me, but certainly not a plastic pitch.
Desso hybrid is comfortably the best option on the market at the moment IMO.

I am also agreed on the hybrid pitch.

I am fairly sure that whilst light is a major factor in the grass life, one other big factor is actually air flow. When the grass in the old arena stadium were first built e.g. Amsterdam arena and Cardiff, they believed that the lack of light was stopping the grass and invested in hugely expensive light rigs, but the grass needs the air flow too to bring fresh air for their growth as well. As long as there are enough gaps and low points for air flow over the pitch then crack on

Andy Goode's body double.

Bring back rucking and speed up the game. Simple, for rucks sake.

A.B.L.

Levi Douglas - Adopted player 2017/18
Tom Homer - Adopted player 2016/17

rainbow
rainbow (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 09:23
I and many other old timers have been patiently awaiting "development" of a new stadium at the Rec' for about 20 years give or take 15 minutes or so and despite the latest exciting "developments" is it really any closer. Has permission been granted to build, a small point, i don't want to pour cold water on things but dream on. But what's wrong with having dreams?

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 10:35
I believe that planning permission hasn't yet been considered. But we are definitely a few steps forward from where we were a couple of years back. There were some real blocks due to the nature of the land that have been slowly unpicked.

Even in the shortest case, this is going to take some time and to get it right longer still. In that sense, you're right to check your excitement.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 11:00
The blocks for the development in the past were mainly due to charitable law. The Court of Appeal judgement has changed the game considerably, e.g. The Charitable Trust have complete power to dispose of land as long as it is in the charity's interest. Dispose means leasing out land or selling it.

Planning permission is a different ball game and is up to the planning authorities. The prospect of development at the Rec has been recognised by the Council and UNESCO as follows:

Quote:
The World Heritage Site Management Plans 2010-2022 notes the prospect of development coming forward at the Rec, stating at paragraph 5.2.31 that ‘Bath Rugby Club play at the Recreation Ground in the heart of the city and their presence provides civic pride and identity, plus a boost to the economy (especially in winter months when tourist numbers are low). The rugby club are looking to increase their capacity to accommodate spectators, and provide a new stadium on their current site within the city.’

Yes there will be further hurdles and the fiends will cry foul. However, some imaginative thinking will be used and I understand that planning permission will be sought later this year.

Please keep your suggestions coming either on this thread or PM me. We are one of the platforms the Club needs to get the message across along with our colleagues on FB and the Supporters Club.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 11:35
Don't you need a plan before planning permission can be sought?
Isn't the whole point of this thread that the club are putting together a plan, alongside a world-renowned architect having finally being given permission to apply for planning permission as of last year.

RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 11:52
Never known a planning committee pass a project without a plan! That is why we need to feed ideas to the Architect!

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 12:10
Can't we just refer them to this thread, personally I think they should go with PG's ideas.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 12:23
PGs ideas have been duly noted as those of others. Remember in the past the Club were restricted because of ChC, they have a blank piece of paper now! What about turning the pitch to go East West?

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 13:06
1. Roof over the spectators please
2. Sight lines to see the entire pitch, including the important bit where the tries are scored
3. Enough catering facilities for the capacity to get a pie and a pint in a half time break
4. Enough toilet facilities for all, that means the ladies too
5. If we're to have a big screen all paying customers to be able to see it
6. Working PA system with controllable volume
7. Design in keeping with Bath's world heritage status. Doesn't mean it has to be a Disney style Roman coliseum though.
8. Retain the Bath 'recreation ground' city centre location
9. Floodlighting that's bright enough for Prem Rugby
10. Maintain some terraced standing
11. Open up the waterfront and form a link between the new stadium and the rest of the city (instead of being behind a breeze block wall)

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 13:17
What would the benefit of that be CC? I'm not against it, but purely from my own comfort point of view I'm pretty agnostic.

I think access to the west stand might be key, a possibly a good reason to re-orientate (may the capacity compressed by the river smaller and open up the two sides).

I'd like to see the riverside well used on non-match days. I'm sure you can make that into a real feature that benefits Bath. I'm thinking a riverside "square" with facilities: restaurants, cafes, bars, entertainment that could potentially be covered from the stand behind. Probably needs more space than we've previously ever considered.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 13:19
"Maintain some terraced standing"

I'd support that.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 13:32
Also, have future capacity increase allowances somehow within the design? I'd hate for us to rapidly fill 18k only to have the same discussions in 5 years and start tearing new stands down. I'm not saying a sudden jump to 18k would happen (I think for big games it could), but lets not hamper ourselves early on.

rainbow
rainbow (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 13:39
Beergoggles Point 2 able to see the complete pitch even to the extent of seeing tries scored in the corner, i sit on the openside midway between the half-way line and the 22 and have to rely on the screen to my right to see what's gone on at the bottom left. I'm fairly sure that during the mid season promises were made and work carried out to ensure a better "match day experience" ie actually seeing what was going on i think TM was involved in that exercise. I'll have a bet i've just turned 70 i think i'll get a free TV licence when i'm 80 so which will come first the licence or a new stadium.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 14:24
Quote:
DanWiley
What would the benefit of that be CC? I'm not against it, but purely from my own comfort point of view I'm pretty agnostic.

Height will be the big issue, so to get 18k there will be a challenge especially with the East stand because of views from the Grand Parade. The further into the Rec the East stand is will help that situation. I was never good at Physics but I guess the angle will not be so acute!

Turning the pitch round also means the South Stand can be longer and height is not an issue there because we have precedence with the Sports centre and the new student castle!

West stand will have to come in to the Rec to allow for riverside cafes etc and height will be determined by the current trees and Sports centre, I think.

Club House or the new North stand height will be determined by the current height but will have to dip at Johnstone Street rising again beyond the lower windows of Johnstone street until it meets the East stand.

Needs to be worked out on paper and it will depend on how much of the east of the rec the Charity Trust will grant to the club.

The con of turning the pitch round is sun and the prevailing wind from the south west.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 16:04
I can't see (excuse pun) the pitch ever moving around due to the sun glare for West facing players as you say.

Do we know how far East we can go? For example, if significant development took place along the river for leisure purposes and that forced the pitch East, would that be a problem if the leisure part was not considered as part of the rugby area? Or is there a hard stop for any development going past the East end of the South stand?

If there are height limits then this becomes a 3D modelling puzzle with a framework which any ground needs to fit inside.

For me I am sure we can design a suitable ground on 3 sides, the clever bit will be having an East stand which can be removed, rotated or opened up for the summer. Making a good job of that will go a long way to getting the plans well received in the non rugby community.

Something clever would come at great cost though and probably take away budget better served on the other 3 sides and getting a good looking arena viewed from alongside Pulteney.

One request I would have, one I have not seen mentioned, is to give those seated decent legroom and width even with the capacity reduction that would cost. I don't like having my knees crushed into the seat in front and a lot of ex players are on the large size. Once had a season ticket seat next to a retired front row, we all ended up pushed sideways!

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

20 January, 2018 12:53
With waterproof concrete, and the ability to build a fully enclosed stadium... Does the option of lowering the pitch become viable?
Which allows for lower heights for the stands with slopes allowing for proper viewing angles etc.

Of course, it would need to be fully enclosed to a bit above highest recorded flood level, to avoid becoming a swimming pool whenever it rains upstream, and would presumably be pricey for excavation, but may be a good solution for some of the compromises necessary for planning.

RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2018 12:55 by Which Tyler.

bathboyinmidlands
bathboyinmidlands (IP Logged)

21 January, 2018 08:39
I would pretty much concur with PG Tips views and also DanWiley makes a really good point about using this as an opportunity to make far more use of the riverside as it is currently wasted and would greatly benefit the city as a whole. Perhaps with a new footbridge across the river connecting riverside/west stand with the city (think that has already been mentioned in one of the comments).

For me roofing over all stands is a must for comfort and atmosphere.

My main concern is it not becoming another soulless concrete bowl like most modern stadiums. The Rec is unique and needs to retain that character with views of the Abbey maintained and also on the east side. I know the height has to come from somewhere to create the capacity needed so this is tricky but I would have thought we could gain the height needed at north and south ends as not blocking views especially sports centre end.

I wouldn’t be opposed to a plastic pitch as at least that might force us to adopt a defined playing style and consistent game plan and identity which we sadly lack at present.

Bath Supporter Jack

21 January, 2018 18:53
I would like a stadium that will look fantastic in 50 years time, and therefore this probably precludes a short term fashionable use of glass and metal as per the Cabot Centre.

It has to be remembered this is going to be a stadium from which, in the main rugby matches are watched from and so sightlines, lighting, pitch etc should be dictated by what is considered best in the world today and in 10 years.

The view from the Town should be enhanced, not difficult with what is there today.

Screens, loudspeakers etc should excellent for rugby and other events.

Food outlets should concentrate on healthy, alternative foods and also cover a range of budgets.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

21 January, 2018 21:03
"I would like a stadium that will look fantastic in 50 years time"

I'm sure it will when it's as new as that.

Bath Supporter Jack

21 January, 2018 22:29
Sorry Dan but I don't understand what you mean???

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

22 January, 2018 08:02
I was being a little cynical about the date we might actually have a finished stadium. Sorry, it my have needed a ;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net