rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

Stadium Announcer and Clock
13 January, 2018 00:10
Bath dire at the moment but that’s sport for you, ups and downs. Constantly annoying regardless of how we’re playing :

1. The stadium announcer with his embarrassing attempts to gee up the crowd at random moments during the game. Enough of these witless exclamations at random intervals (his, not mine)

2. The Official Tissot match clocks. You can’t see them from the terrace and presumably not from the Sports Centre end either. The Prem match day clocks are very visible so why not just stick a Tissot logo next to them ?

3. Friday night kick offs. Wide open spaces on the terraces and if it wasn’t for our noisy welsh visitors we’d have been rattling around. Overheard lots of grumbling about this. Be interesting to see what the crowds are like for the other Friday night games, particularly if the performances continue as they are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2018 09:04 by Beergoggles.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

Re: Even worse than the Bath performance
13 January, 2018 08:26
Quote:
Beergoggles
1. The stadium announcer with his embarrassing attempts to gee up the crowd at random moments during the game. Enough of these witless exclamations at random intervals (his, not mine)
2. The Official Tissot match clocks. You can’t see them from the terrace and presumably not from the Sports Centre end either. The Prem match day clocks are very visible so why not just stick a Tissot logo next to them ?

3. Friday night kick offs. Wide open spaces on the terraces and if it wasn’t for our noisy welsh visitors we’d have been rattling around. Overheard lots of grumbling about this. Be interesting to see what the crowds are like for the other Friday night games, particularly if the performances continue as they are.

Couldn’t care less about that if we play well, adapt to what the other team is throwing at us & preferably win. At the very least I don’t expect us to get trounced at home again & again. We just can’t cope with any team that moves the ball quickly & accurately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2018 08:27 by Bath Hammer.

westondave
WestonDave (IP Logged)

Re: Stadium Announcer and Clock
13 January, 2018 12:48
You weren't missing much with the clocks - the one on the front of the West Stand wasn't working half the time. Was quite tempted to tweet a picture of it with the comment "Won't buy a Tissot watch - they don't seem to work" tagging Tissot and RCC in it. Might get some action if the sponsors think their reputation is being besmirched.

And yes, the idiot on the mike (as he calls himself) needs to realise that trying to generate enthusiasm when we are playing like utter drains is mostly just going to wind people up.

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 12:58
Quote:
Beergoggles
Bath dire at the moment but that’s sport for you, ups and downs. Constantly annoying regardless of how we’re playing :

There were no wide open spaces n the terrace where we were I was seriously crushed against a barrier and trodden on repeatedly. There were way too many people in our section of the terrace due to all the Scarlett's fans wanting to stand together and refusing to go to other less crowded areas. It was bordering on dangerous. If there wer spaces elsewhere thenthe stewarding was exceptionally poor. People were still trying to force their way in after the game had started. This shouldn't have been allowed.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 13:06
Agree about the announcer just winds you up, club need to think hard about a different
approach to gather the crowds support, although watching the team last night there were other things on the pitch to wind you up !

(Sm23)

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 13:10
Quote:
WestonDave
And yes, the idiot on the mike (as he calls himself) needs to realise that trying to generate enthusiasm when we are playing like utter drains is mostly just going to wind people up.

He got right on my wick last night too, I just wish he would stick to announcing player changes and cut out the cheerleading. It's tough enough watching live games as it is...

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 14:32
Announcer, him and it in concept dreadful.

FLAP

MESSAGES->author
roywalker (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 14:36
Agree with all of this. There’s a time and a place for an oggy oggy oggy and it ain’t when you’re 29-3 down.

westondave
WestonDave (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 14:41
Quote:
roywalker
Agree with all of this. There’s a time and a place for an oggy oggy oggy and it ain’t when you’re 29-3 down.

To be fair that just about summed the whole night up - he went for it, the whole crowd around me turned to the person next to them with a "WTF" look and totally ignored it. The announcer's equivalent of the dropped pass we were demonstrating to perfection on the field!

nixworld2
nixworld2 (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 14:42
Agreed. He's always annoying, but last night was genuinely infuriating/ embarrassing in the way he couldn't sense the tone.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 16:17
Quote:
TG Kesmo
There were no wide open spaces n the terrace where we were I was seriously crushed against a barrier and trodden on repeatedly. There were way too many people in our section of the terrace due to all the Scarlett's fans wanting to stand together and refusing to go to other less crowded areas. It was bordering on dangerous. If there wer spaces elsewhere thenthe stewarding was exceptionally poor. People were still trying to force their way in after the game had started. This shouldn't have been allowed.

That explains it as the rest if the ground seemed full. You’d think our highly trained stewards would be able to sort this sort of thing out. (Sm161)

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 16:40
First time at the Rec in a while. The announcer has totally the wrong voice for that role, and clearly lacks empathy. He was as embarrassing as what went on on the pitch.

Also agree about the match clock.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 19:11
'We' have been enduring him for several years now. Just can't stand being shouted at.
He is the sort of chap who should never be let near a microphone, but as he has been doing the job for several years now, knows how to hang on to his job - do wish he could relocate to the corporate boxes where he might be appreciated.(Sm54)

I did have a communication from the powers that be asking about several aspects of 'my visit' - one of which was multi choice answers on his performances.

No need to detail my replies.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 19:24
In fairness to the guy he's just trying to wake the Rec from it's weekly slumber and try to stop it being the usual library. Although I agree last night he'd have been better keeping quiet whilst the team were being embarrassed.

An easier way to get the crowd up for it would be for the team to play winning rugby for a change.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 20:03
We could fix both problems in one go - just tell the announcer his only job is to tell us the time at certain key moments or intervals.

Sorted.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 20:57
I am not sure which is more cringingly awful, theinnane announcer attempts to whip us into a frenzy or the bog awful trumpet call of previous games. Both as bad as each other, and if the players want or need a '16th man', just start playing with skill, passion and commitment and give us all something to really shout and scream about. We all would as we used to do when the players' actions warranted it. They most definitely do not at present!!!!

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 21:09
I personally think that his Pavlovian style is counter productive as it tends to intimidate actual crowd reaction due to the unfair wattage on his side. Atmosphere in the ground would probably grow rather better if allowed to develop/ mature naturally on it’s own.

H . . .

Oh what the hell he’s a jerk.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 21:39
Win, lose or draw, we always enjoy our trips to the Rec and spending time in the city of Bath.....but, yes you know there is always a but, that guy on the PA must surely be an embarrassment.....Bath RFC are better than that !

Mobbs
FG

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 22:14
And as for 'Sweet Caroline'!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 23:07
Quote:
Boldangrey
And as for 'Sweet Caroline'!

Good grief, it's a bit of fun which quite frankly we need at home right now.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 23:29
Fun! Oh are we meant to 'enjoy' our time expensively spent at the Rec? I thought it was more like a pilgrimage to a Holy Place and was to be treated with reverence and extremely seriously befitting a hugely important and ritual performance being displayed upon the pitch by the best paid and most talented, skilled and thoughtful individual gladiators in the country. No wonder I am so wrong with the actual outcome apart from watching the supremely confident and overwhelming skill and commitment of any of the sides we play against. They seem to like winning and are prepared to put in that little extra to ensure that they do so. Sometime for us to aspire to and no doubt would find 'fun'.. ..like we had in the dim and distant past.........

bathwickboy
bathwickboy (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 10:25
I go to the Rec to be entertained or not by the rugby. Why oh why must I endure that total pillock on the mic trying to get me to shout out at his beckoning? Give me a break, I don't think that I am a total moron that needs instructions from him. Now, if only we were playing better or showing more purpose, I would happily exercise the vocal chords!

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 10:36
So, is anyone listening?....................................................

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 11:09
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Fun! Oh are we meant to 'enjoy' our time expensively spent at the Rec? I thought it was more like a pilgrimage to a Holy Place and was to be treated with reverence and extremely seriously befitting a hugely important and ritual performance being displayed upon the pitch by the best paid and most talented, skilled and thoughtful individual gladiators in the country. No wonder I am so wrong with the actual outcome apart from watching the supremely confident and overwhelming skill and commitment of any of the sides we play against. They seem to like winning and are prepared to put in that little extra to ensure that they do so. Sometime for us to aspire to and no doubt would find 'fun'.. ..like we had in the dim and distant past.........

If you're not having fun and enjoying your time at the Rec then don't go, nobody is forcing you. Personally I travel to nearly all home and away games and will continue to do so whilst I enjoy it. We've had just about enough good performances to keep me interested this season, but I'd have no problem walking away and finding something better to do if I felt like you seem to.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 11:31
Quote:
annie blackthorn
So, is anyone listening?....................................................

Seems some players do read and post, so maybe the message will get passed on (Sm128)

Trawling
Trawling (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 11:41
Bathwickboy, I am not accusing you of this - you may sing, shout, wave a flag for all I know BUT a much bigger percentage of the crowd at the Rec go 'to be entertained' and see this as a right, based on past glories and the expectation that a wealthy owner creates than at most other grounds.

I go to support the team, win, draw or trounced. I pointed out to the guy behind me on Friday that when the team is playing poorly is precisely the time to make some noise, not just when when they are on top. This appeared to completely confuse him in spite of the fact that he had apparently 'been coming to the Rec for 40 years'.

The seating in front of the clubhouse is full of people who treat the game like a trip to the cinema - it's rude to make a noise but make sure you have your stock of food and drink.

There were two couples who arrived with their carafe of white nearly 10 minutes after kick-off, left for the bar on 35 minutes, returned with refreshments 5 minutes into the second half and left with nearly 10 minutes to go. They may have seen an hour of rugby but not much more. Perfectly within their rights but still f"£$ing annoying.

bathwickboy
bathwickboy (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 12:18
I most certainly do NOT take your comments personally Trawling and perhaps your comments were aimed more at Bathovalfootballer? I am more than happy for people around me to shout, sing, clap, wave flags etc etc and I am quite happy to do some of the above myself BUT I will not be told when to show my enthusiasm by some chap on the mic!! You obviously enjoy taking a full vocal part in the match as is your choice whereas I tend to be more reflective and engrossed in what is actually happening on the field. I find the constant cajoling from the announcer with 'come on you Bath' to be a real irritant. Of course I want Bath desperately to win, have been supporting them since I was a boy in the late 60's and now make a 120 mile round trip to watch them each home game rain or shine.This is a very subjective point and NOT aimed at you, but some of the people around me who make the most noise know very little about the laws of the game nor the spirit/ethos of the game.

MESSAGES->author
trikidiki (IP Logged)

21 January, 2018 15:31
'Sweet Caroline' is almost guaranteed to get a crowd singing. When it finishes so do the crowd. Perhaps they could play 'Dancing Queen' anynd we could all have a dance too.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

21 January, 2018 18:23
Agree, just needs to be louder !

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

21 January, 2018 18:46
Quote:
Old Bath Tub
Agree, just needs to be louder !

Steady on you'll offend the many Bath fans that prefer a quiet Rec with occasional polite applause for good play.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net