rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

timfrombrighton
timfrombattle (IP Logged)

Auterac and Tapuai off at end of season
13 January, 2018 14:13
According to The Chron

[www.bathchronicle.co.uk]

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

Re: Auterac and Tapuai off at end of season
13 January, 2018 14:54
Quins are welcome to Tapuai's 1 error every five minutes

westondave
WestonDave (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 14:58
To be honest I've not been convinced by Tapuai. He has good spells but far too often does what he did a lot last night - tuck his head into his chin and charge headfirst at the nearest opponent - when you think about the best 12's we've had over the years I think he'd certainly struggle to make the top 5.

by
by (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 15:05
I think Tapuai is a class player but more of a 13 than a 12. If we are going to continue with our current game plan we really need to add some bulk to the midfield IMO, someone who can front up defensively and take some of the work off the backrow.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 15:08
Auterac has been an open secret for a few months, and basically confirmed when LNP arrived. Makes sense for all parties, he's a Londoner and wants to be in London, at Bath he's been good and shown glimpses, but has been overtaken by Obano this season, pushing him to 3rd choice... before Paz arrived. Good luck to him.

Tapuai goes for money, and is completely understandable. He had Bath over a barrel when we signed him mid-season with zero centres, and neither Tap.s nor Bath owes the other any loyalty. Foreign mercenaries are here for the money, and will either stay or leave depending entirely on the money. Quin's are losing Roberts, and probably have more £££ available to offer; if they're increasing his salary, then they're over-paying him IMO. Again, no hard feelings, and good luck, he's a good player,but we'll need more than just Willison to replace him (Jonny Williams, Jonny Williams, Jonny Williams - assuming we can't tempt anyone away from Exeter).

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2018 15:23 by Which Tyler.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 15:21
Would be glad if we signed Willison but really only makes sense if we managed to keep Tapuai. Willison looks exactly the sort of squad player we need to play second fiddle and I mean that as a complement as it's an important role to play. Shame Taps is leaving, but as others have said it is understandable.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 19:37
Tapuia puts his head down to make yards which he does so more often than not. We're often overwhelmed with defences blitzing forward because we can't keep them honest around the fringes. Our offloading game is non existent, our pick and drive ordinary at best. If we get the ball to the wings we've rarely sucked the defenders in first. We don't run around the 13. Tapuia tries to straighten it up and put the defence on the back foot. As we're so slow to the breakdown it's easily defended. We could had SBW at 12 and not much would change. He'd get the ball standing still and if he got himself to the floor the forwards would be slow to ruck over/around him.
Tapuia is a good player imo. We just don't have the attack to get the best out of him or JJ.
Willison certainly won't improve things that's for sure.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 20:17
From what I have seen Willison is no better than a squad player and not a first choice starter.

Tapuia is s good player and has some neat touches and skills but cannot thrive on the bog awful slow possession we give him at Bath with a tackler and ball arriving at the same time.

Also, as a mercenary, he has no loyalty to us and therefore is off to a higher bidder at the first opportunity. The fact we are such a poor struggling side at present who need to apply themselves wholeheartedly to a new coaches game plan, which is not working, makes his decision to leave even easier.

Let him go along with any other who doesn't want to fight for his place and the honour (as dubious as it is at present) of wearing the BB&W.

Auterac has really disappointed me as I thought after his very good start, and with his reknowned strength, he could have developed into a really top class prop. Again there doesn't appear to be the motivation in him to work harder to achieve those goals, especially in a failing side.

Goodbye both of you and lets not play them again as I only want players on the field who are and want to be totally committed to Bath Rugby.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 20:30
Quote:
BathOvalBaller
Also, as a mercenary, he (Taps) has no loyalty to us and therefore is off to a higher bidder at the first opportunity.

Taps is a professional rugby player with a family to support. Why would he not choose to get the beat deal possible and why does that make him a ‘mercenary’ ?

Quote:
BathOvalBaller
Goodbye both of you (Taps and Auterach) and lets not play them again as I only want players on the field who are and want to be totally committed to Bath Rugby

Heaven forbid the club should do something that you don’t want. Also what makes you think these two professional gentlemen aren't committed to doing their very best for the club and their team mates ?

Bathovalballer

13 January, 2018 20:50
Well do you think recent events shows commitment to the club and team mates? I and many others don't think so.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

13 January, 2018 20:53
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Well do you think recent events shows commitment to the club and team mates? I and many others don't think so.

Indeed... Banners certainly looked pretty uncommited to his try he scored. Auterac, Tapuai, Banahan, Wilson and any others out of contract should be nowhere near the team. That should help sure things up.

Just off to take my sarcasm pills, do excuse me.

Bathovalballer

13 January, 2018 22:57
I was talking about the two in the title and most definitely do not include Banners in that. His actions and play last night showed a huge amount of pride and commitment which if followed by some of his team mates may just of stemmed the flow of Scarlett scores. I am not saying we should have won but at least we would have gone down fighting to a side infinitely better on the day.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 00:13
Good lord BoB you seem to go out of your way to be offensive to members of our squad. I wish you’d think before you type.

Stuart

Former ed.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 00:34
So Bathovalballer only wants players who've commited to Bath Rugby to take to the field. Guess that means he wants Banahan to never play another game. After all he's commited to Gloucester, right?

Bathovalballer

14 January, 2018 00:37
Well TCM are you happy with the standard of play of all of our players? Or are you going to let them off with (for the umpteenth time) oh bad luck you played like a drain but I am sure you will do better next week? Of course everyone realises your broken nail or hair out of place and the fact that the grass was too wet meant you were not able to perform like the lesser paid young lads from an injury ravaged Welsh village. Don't worry that is quite alright so don't bother your pretty little head!

That is our problem, too much appeasement and not enough hard truisms and meaningful reality checks and demands for improvement, or go, has meant we are in the mess we are for yet another season of under achievement and abuse of the support from the club and fans alike.

Who is responsible TCM if it is not the players and, to a lesser extent, the coaches and club management?

Bathovalballer

14 January, 2018 00:49
BO I categorically stated I thought clearly above, that I thought Banners was one of the few who DID show commitment and pride in the club and referred specifically to the two going who obviously are not fully committed to the club. Banners has nailed his colours to the Gloucester mast to better his earnings for his family, but is still showing his commitment to his team mates and present employer which is admirable although he may feel very disappointed the club could/would not give him what he felt he was worth. I am damn sure Banners will continue to give of his best to the end of the season and thoroughly applaud him for it.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 00:50
Quote:
ballsout
So Bathovalballer only wants players who've commited to Bath Rugby to take to the field. Guess that means he wants Banahan to never play another game. After all he's commited to Gloucester, right?

Spot on BO, I think that was BathBurgers point as well.

Bathovalballer

14 January, 2018 00:57
I think some of you guys struggle with written English! Read what I wrote at 0.49.

No doubt that's one of the reasons why we tolerate underperformance and under achievement!

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 01:25
So you've arbitrarily decided that Banahan plays with commitment but Auterac and Tapuai don't? Interesting.

Auterac hasn't played for ages, and so how can you judge his commitment and in the same breath say yet you never want him to play again?

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 08:54
He only wants players who are 100% commited to Bath, so commited in fact that they'd play here without any salary, only being paid when we win, and reimbursing the entire crowd out of their own pocket when we lose.
I'm not sure he has fully appreciated that 1996 actually happened, and the the players are professionals now. That or he just objects to Bath being professional, and would much prefer to see us in the semi-pro ND2, so at least they could be paid when we win; but at least they'd be training on Lambridge with a knackered shed for a changing room, there's be no no stadium announcer and no people annoying by walking in front of him at the match - unless that dog slips it's collar again!

RAEBURN SHIELD

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 09:02
Taps wasn't great against Scarlets, but he's not alone there. Against wuss I thought his commitment to the game was superb, I recall commenting on the number and effect of his tackles.

Shorty Shorty iiv
Shorty Shorty iiv (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 17:04
So how about this, Jamie Roberts to us as way of a swap for Taps and Auterac?!?! Not saying I want to see it, but there are factors that point to it being a possibility...

1-Supposedly unhappy at Quins after SA game debacle.
2-He’s a centre with experience and muscle, a role we could do with filling.
3-Coming to the end of his international career so available to play for his club more often than not, when fit!
4-We are supposedly skint and can’t afford Banners, so have we spent it on him within the cap?!
5-We are closer to his motherland.
6-He has 60 plus caps so doesn’t need to to play in Wales if he does want to keep the international door open.

Just a thought!!

by
by (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 17:28
I think he’d fit well but we should have a marquee slot free for next season so I hope we bring in a centre from outside the premiership. Still think we’d do well with Nonu for a season or two just to bring the younger guys through but I don’t think many share that opinion on here.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 17:40
Which of our young centres do you want starting most weeks at 12?

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 17:42
The ones you've seen play and think are good enough for the Prem, obviously. Clearly pointless naming a player you've not or only barely seen/heard of.

by
by (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 17:43
Clark, after all he was preferred over Tapuai at the start of the season.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 18:45
Why on earth would Jamie Roberts want to come and finish his playing career at Bath?
Answers on a postcard to Bruce Craig Inc.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 19:05
By. W.R.T. Clark.
No, he's already established with the 1st team. Which one of our academy projects is ready to take over from Taps in the 1st team squad?
No team can go a season with only 2 centres as you well know.

Shorty Shorty iiv
Shorty Shorty iiv (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 19:09
Quote:
annie blackthorn
Why on earth would Jamie Roberts want to come and finish his playing career at Bath?
Answers on a postcard to Bruce Craig Inc.

I could think of much worse places to see out the end of a playing career, one just off the M4 and the other just of the the M5(N) for starters!!

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 19:20
Bathovalballer surpasses himself.
Personally I think he over stepped the masrk weeks ago, and this weekend has stooped to the bottom of the sewer. He has no place on 'ere or anywhere else.

His classic justification is the "I and many others" BS.

I'd love him to be the HT entertainment at the next home game - him being ripped to tiny little pieces by the non-matchday squad.

He is an insult to every other Bath Rugby fan, and to each and every player.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 20:01
I agree DB - every post a complete car-crash of ignorant nonsense.

gloucesterwatcher
gloucesterwatcher (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 20:42
I have tried to avoid stepping on the mess that is B ob, if he is a real person and not an algorithm.

b ob why are you using phrases like “too much appeasement and not enough hard truisms and meaningful reality checks “?

They do not belong in Rugby, it is not a reality game, if you do ever commit to a game and hear the “hits” : humans are involved. Give the Scarlet's the credit they deserve.

Damn it the machine has won, I failed the test the response test.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

14 January, 2018 22:03
Quote:
Dorset Boy
Bathovalballer surpasses himself.
Personally I think he over stepped the masrk weeks ago, and this weekend has stooped to the bottom of the sewer. He has no place on 'ere or anywhere else.

His classic justification is the "I and many others" BS.

I'd love him to be the HT entertainment at the next home game - him being ripped to tiny little pieces by the non-matchday squad.

He is an insult to every other Bath Rugby fan, and to each and every player.

Well said Dorset Boy. I’ve been on the cusp of posting something very similar for several weeks but have ‘bitten my tongue’ raw.

Note to BathOvalBaller :

We are not a great side at the moment and all on here can express their opinion as to what is going wrong. However your constant insinuation that the Bath players either don’t try or don’t care shows your ignorance, your lack of any understanding of rugby, and your complete and utter lack of empathy. I would imagine that all 23 in the match day squad plus non playing team mates and coaches all feel 100 times worse about Fridays result than any poster on here does. It’s their, job, their career, and their livelihood. In contrast you are just an ignorant keyboard basher.

Bathovalballer

15 January, 2018 03:52
Thanks for your criticisms DB, BGs and GW. Obviously you guys think it is ok for the present Bath squad to go on underperforming on a regular basis and are prepared to accept the. situation which has been there for some seasons now, and still we do not show any signs of learning from our mistakes, improvement or consistency. Yet our owner has stumped up millions of pounds in training facilities, SHemisphere coaches, and their salaries, for what? If you think I and many others are somewhat annoyed and despondent about the situation, I wonder how Bruce must feel?

Also I honestly believe some of you struggle to read and comprehend written English. If you did you will note I have praised Stooke, Zach M, Underhill and Brew on Friday's game. Much more than many on this board! I praise when I think it is earned (read my comments on Worcester game) but will criticise when people underperform.

For your information, I did play the game to the old County standard and do know a thing or two about attitude, skills, pride and team spirit. Also, I played under coaches and captains who truly led a side by their own example and who would not hold back on giving praise and encouragement when earned and conversely give out stick when things were not so good.

Other sides with much less financial and player resource than us, like Exeter. Newcastle, Sale and Gloucester all have shown continued improvement and better results than us, Why can't we? You may blame the coaches, but the only people who can truly influence the results is the actions of the players on the field. Therefore as in any profession, they receive plaudits when things go well but also criticism and questions are asked when things do not.

Sir Redneck
Sir Redneck (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 07:56
Is Josh Lewis still at the club?

I know he's primarily a 10 but he's comfortable at 12 and has looked decent in the limited game time he's had to date.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 08:19
Quote:
Sir Redneck
I know he's primarily a 10 but he's comfortable at 12 and has looked decent in the limited game time he's had to date.

Yes, and a point made by myself and I think Bathmatt53 elsewhere. I think he deserves a go at 12 particularly as he used to rotate a bit with his IC at EbbwVale. Perhaps Bruce thinks the gulf is a bit too big. I think he could definitely do a job.

MESSAGES->author
Griff (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 08:25
It will be a shame to see Taps and Auterac leave. When Auterac has arrived looked like shrewd signing by the club and a prop for the future.Sadly I think through injury the promise wasn't fulfilled in the BB&W. Taps has shown moments of brilliance but is a little inconstant in his performances IMO.

Sad to see them leave yes, irreplaceable and leave a big hole in the team no.

"You're going to need a bigger boat"

Sam Underhill Adopted Player 2018/19

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2018 08:29 by Griff.

Sir Redneck
Sir Redneck (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 08:28
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Sir Redneck

Yes, and a point made by myself and I think Bathmatt53 elsewhere. I think he deserves a go at 12 particularly as he used to rotate a bit with his IC at EbbwVale. Perhaps Bruce thinks the gulf is a bit too big. I think he could definitely do a job.

Thanks for confirming Shipwrecked and apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere on the board. I definitely think he could do a job, his defence is rock solid, he's a line breaker and he gives you another kicking option. One thing I do know is if he doesn't get any game time soon he'll be off, and that would be a real shame as we've seen precious little of him.

sirtidychris
sirtidychris (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 09:04
Tapuai is a concern, Centre is a real issue for us and over the past few seasons we would have let Tapuai, Fruean, Devoto and Eastmond all leave. We need some world class signings but in all honesty the transfer market is so competitive and Bath have been very mid table the last few years meaning we dont have the same pull as Sarries etc. I doubt we will be able to get in a big name signing more another solid squad bloke that seems to mark Todds tenure and cement ourselves in the mid table.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 09:11
Quote:
Sir Redneck
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Sir Redneck

Thanks for confirming Shipwrecked and apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere on the board. I definitely think he could do a job, his defence is rock solid, he's a line breaker and he gives you another kicking option. One thing I do know is if he doesn't get any game time soon he'll be off, and that would be a real shame as we've seen precious little of him.

Agree, no need to apologise though they were one off comments rather than a discussion, we are all but mere mortals on here.
I think JL is seen as a 10 and we are pretty strong there at the moment, but as you say he is very capable in my view.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 09:12
Quote:
Centre is a real issue for us and over the past few seasons we would have let Tapuai, Fruean, Devoto and Eastmond all leave

I agree that centre is an issue - but Fruean has had to retire due to injury and Eastmond has barely played at Wasps. Given the salaries both would have commanded, letting those go had to be the right call. Devoto was a real shame, but that was Mike Ford's fault, not anything else. Taps is disappointing in isolation - but it depends who we're bringing in.

Either way we need two new centres.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 09:19
Quote:
hasta
Either way we need two new centres.

What we need and what we actually get aren't often equal.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 09:26
I think sarries are the only English club that can bring in big names better than us. Exeter could, but they don't really have that philosophy. The difference between us and everyone else in the league is really much of a muchness. Put another way, Exeter and Sarries aside, who has been more consistent than us?

The good thing is, it doesn't matter anyway. I don't want -big- signings at centre. We haven't got that position (or the rest of the squad for that matter) sorted enough to bring in big players. JJ is the only player we'll have at centre who I'd be 100% happy with in a big AP game. So we need to bring in 2 (maybe 3 depending on how you feel about Clark) good AP, sub-international quality players, probably ones I've hardly heard of, but that look like they are capable of stepping up or being used wrong at their current employer.

We have the appeal, and the money, to do that and they do exist. Wait 6-9 months and I'll be able to tell you who they were. If we also sorted 9, we'd have a good set of backs.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 09:31
"Taps is disappointing in isolation - but it depends who we're bringing in. "

It sort of depends on what money Taps was on. It relation to my post above, if it were middle to good for an AP centre its a shame we lost him, particularly if he got it together consistently. I wonder if got him in as emergency cover and that cost persisted making him not value, in which case fine. I suspect we can do at least as well letting him go.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 09:40
I'm extremely suspicious that it'll be Te'o. Which I'm very conflicted on. A great player, but fitness just a nightmare.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 09:44
A good player but hardly a great one.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 09:46
Also, 31 years old so not someone to build anything around.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 09:46
Quote:
hasta
I'm extremely suspicious that it'll be Te'o. Which I'm very conflicted on. A great player, but fitness just a nightmare.

If he ever manages to get fit again he'd be off with England for long periods of the season plus at 30 he's probably past his best.

Wouldn't be a good value signing, but equally the sort of big name that Bruce goes for.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 11:09
I really think centre is becoming more of an issue position for us than even the front row.

Would rather see us look to sign a couple of good AP quality centres than a big game TH which I was hoping for until only recently. With Lahiff, Thomas and if Knight were fit too at the same time then I'd be relatively comfortable with our options here.

If Taps is definitely going though then that leaves us with Clark and JJ. One is only around 2/3 of the season and will likely continue to be. The other is developing but is a bit injury prone it seems and needs time to grow further. We also have that young fella from Yorkshire but where Todd see's him fitting I am very unsure atm.

We need 2 good players that can play centre as a result imo. Having seen them play Friday night and been very impressed, I wonder whether we look to someone like Scarlets who have a wealth of centre options and see whether someone like Asquith who can play centre and wing would be interested?
We then need at least one out and out centre who can ideally play both 12 or 13 in my opinion and here I wonder whether an experienced option can be found. Wasps for example brought in Gaby Lovobalavu in this sort of role and although he doesn't start every week, he is a great option to rotate in or when you pick up a knock here and there.

We need to really be looking now in order to have them here in time as well for the start of next year!

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight; 2018-19 Jonathan Joseph

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 11:13
Quote:
Outside Bath
If he ever manages to get fit again he'd be off with England for long periods of the season plus at 30 he's probably past his best.

Wouldn't be a good value signing, but equally the sort of big name that Bruce goes for.

I so hope you're wrong OB but fear you're not. Have no problem with Teo being brought in as one of a bundle of centres (what is the collective name for a group of centres ?) but not if its on big big money and we have to cut corners elsewhere. It would be good to have a big bosher to replace Banners but not at any cost.

For what its worth I can't see Teo getting many more games for England. Surely EJ has better plans than that ?

by
by (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 11:23
It sounds as though we'll definitely be signing Willison but we definitely need another guy there as well.

It sounds as though Jeff Williams will also be leaving at the end of season, so we should be freeing up a bunch of cap with at least 4 guys moving on.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 11:25
Priestland could fill in at #12 for us as Farrell does for England, not ideal but he can defend, would be a 2nd distributor and is unlikely to be required by Wales when their other #10s are fit...

Adopted players: 2018/19 Michael Van Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 11:31
I'd be happy with Johnny Williams and Jackson Willison personally. Willison is a perfectly capable prem level centre, and a decent size; albeit he's only a shortish-term solution; whilst Williams is a star in the making IMO, seriously rapid, a bit of bosh, and decent hands. He's just lacking game-time this year.
Bring those two in, alongside Joe Cokanasiga on the wing, and I'd suggest that we're fine in the backline; if we add Chudley in and Allinson out, then all the better.

Up front, I'm happy with our player stocks, we just need to get more of them available for selection.

However, what we need most is a specialist attacking coach, and ideally a specialist defensive coach, with one of them taking the role of head coach. That and a sport's shrink on the staff; a breaking of the Prem trend to favour numbers in defence over contest at the breakdown, and a little luck with injuries / conditioning (which go hand in hand) and we're set to go.

RAEBURN SHIELD

by
by (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 11:31
We don't need another playmaker in the backline, JJ has fulfilled that role well for us, we need someone who can dent the gainline, putting our forwards on the front foot going round the corner and someone who can defend hard on set piece.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 12:06
"what is the collective name for a group of centres ?"

A crash?

An overlap of wingers?

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 12:47
Quote:
Which Tyler
...what we need most is a specialist attacking coach, and ideally a specialist defensive coach, with one of them taking the role of head coach. That and a sport's shrink on the staff

I tend to agree WT. I think our squad is more or less there on paper, and happy to accept that there will be a bit of turnover between seasons. Auterac - on this season's showing - meh; Tapuai - jury was out anyway - seemed to be the living embodiment of the team's inconsistency; Banahan - would much prefer him to stay, but no doubt some other club will be saying the same of whoever we pinch from them.

What we need is consistency of performance and a bit more clarity/evidence of TB's style of play. It's legitimate to wonder whether TB is the man to deliver that, but i think you're absolutely right, that he needs a couple more 'on-message' lieutenants to convince the squad.

From the squad point of view, the biggest worries to me are JJ and Watson, who are going to have their heads turned pretty soon - Champions Cup qualification being the minimum requirement.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 13:21
It must be frustrating for Watson. He appears to me the perfect example of a player who benefits from having good players around him. A bit like Will Greenwood. He raises his level the higher he gets. Our 9,10,12,13 are not on song for us this season, so the 15 ends up as a kick returner.

I wouldn't blame him if he left for pastures greener.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 13:34
I'm surprised that Todd hasn't seen fit to use Freddie Burns a lot more. As a player, Priestland is very reassuring for a coach, and he's mostly been good enough to be seen as first choice. But I think that, for a team/club, searching a little bit for identity, then Freddie - as the local boy coming home - could have galvanised the crowd, and with that, made some of the other players feel a bit more strongly about the 'badge'.

After Tigers went and cheated on him with Boy George, he came 'home' with a sackful of enthusiasm and pride and ambition, but it feels as though the wind's been taken out of his sails. I wonder - even now that he is set for a run in the side - whether he really feels willing to get out of the trenches for Blackadder? To make it worse, he appeared to be pretty tight with Banners too.

If i was Blackadder i'd be blowing a lot of smoke in the direction of Burns' backside right now.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 13:57
Unfortunately for Burns he also arrived with a concussion and then promptly got himself a red card and a three match ban in his first game.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

15 January, 2018 18:34
Quote:
hasta
Unfortunately for Burns he also arrived with a concussion and then promptly got himself a red card and a three match ban in his first game.

Yes not sure you can blame Blackadder for that tbf..

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight; 2018-19 Jonathan Joseph

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net