rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

MESSAGES->author
JimDaff (IP Logged)

Faletau off (next season)
18 January, 2018 12:23
Faletau won’t be renewing his contract with Bath and will go to Dragons at the end of next season!

Wales Online

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/01/2018 12:24 by JimDaff.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

Re: Faletau off (next season)
18 January, 2018 12:27
@#$%&, how many appearances?

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 12:35
Would you at the moment, if you were in his shoes?

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 12:40
"Would you at the moment, if you were in his shoes?"

Not sure, what is special about his "shoes"?

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 12:48
Quote:
woodpecker

Ask again in a season and a half

Budicus
StuartMMoss (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 13:07
Reading the article and the comment about 25k more would have kept him in Wales ... am I being harsh to say that he purely came for the money and not for a wish to play for Bath? #Mercenary

Francois Louw Adopted Player 2018-19
Luke Charteris -Adopted player 2017-18

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 13:18
So Welsh paper says he is coming back to Wales after end of contract. Whether mecenary or not he will be free to negotiate the best deal for him. ''Twas ever thus. No sort of news at all.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 13:32
The Dragons seem to be the home for returning Welsh exiles with Hibbard and Moriarty from Glaws and now Faletau/Lewis from Bath returning. They will have a pretty decent team at this rate. Faletau has shown glimpses of his skills/talent in the BB&W and I hope we get more out of him in the next 18mth...

Adopted players: 2018/19 Michael Van Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 13:37
No great surprise here, I think we will have to anticipate that Todd will be off once his contract is up, and unrelated to that we will see an exodus of our stars, JJ AW, etc as we are no nearer winning anything domestically or in Europe than we were when they all joined.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 13:38
If true, a shame but not the end of the world.

Mercer will be ready in 18 months, Grant is a terrific backup and we can spend the money on a position that needs it i.e. centre.

I hesitate to say it, as I love watching TF play, but (almost) good news.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 13:39
Not sure about the mercenary label but it does make you wonder, there was a strong feeling at the time that it would benefit his game. Dragons are rebuilding and look to be amassing a strong group of players.
Fortunately we have some good strength in depth in that area, Faletau was a Mike Ford signing so perhaps he didn't get what he expected. You would have expected a signing like TF would have been a cornerstone to build on so I'm disappointed to hear this. You have to expect Mercer to become that talisman now and I expect to see them battling against each other at international level.
Problem is we could still have another 60k problem before he goes!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 13:49
Quote:
nick holder
No great surprise here, I think we will have to anticipate that Todd will be off once his contract is up, and unrelated to that we will see an exodus of our stars, JJ AW, etc as we are no nearer winning anything domestically or in Europe than we were when they all joined.

Why do you say that about Todd?

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 13:58
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
nick holder

Why do you say that about Todd?

At present I can't see why he would want to stay, his best mate has gone and his team are more often than not "cr*p" according to his own words. I hope he stays but 2 years into his tenure are we really any better than we were before he arrived, and I have no idea of the pattern/structure he wants the team to adopt.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 14:02
"Reading the article and the comment about 25k more would have kept him in Wales ... am I being harsh to say that he purely came for the money and not for a wish to play for Bath?"

To be honest, if it was only £25k then it would seem less mercenary and more like a vision that was put to him.

"we will see an exodus of our stars, JJ AW, etc as we are no nearer winning anything domestically or in Europe than we were when they all joined."

Where are they going to go where their prospects will improve? They can't all go to Sarries.

"Why do you say that about Todd?"

I've got the impression Todd will see out the next year and a half (is that right) of his contract then head back. I can't say there's much behind that other than chat, both on here and elsewhere.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 14:06
I would have hoped that TB saw the job as more than a 2 year project. I agree that TB must be a big loss to him but whilst we are clearly cr*p sometimes were are also very much on message at other times, eg Warriors.

He seems to have a good relationship with the players as well, I'd be interested to know what those who have the ear of the club think about his long term commitment.

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 14:11
Quote:
shipwrecked
I would have hoped that TB saw the job as more than a 2 year project. I agree that TB must be a big loss to him but whilst we are clearly cr*p sometimes were are also very much on message at other times, eg Warriors.
He seems to have a good relationship with the players as well, I'd be interested to know what those who have the ear of the club think about his long term commitment.

I accept we were on message against Wuss, but with respect to them they are 11th out of 12. We seem unable to be "on message" against the really top class opponents, Exeter, Wasps and Scarlets. And we were certainly not on message at home to both Glaws and Falcons. A;pert from the Toulon and Sarries matches at home when have we really pressurised a top team. I fear for the Saints home match as they seem to have found some form.

MESSAGES->author
JimDaff (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 14:14
Hopefully Todd’s been given the chance to bring in some players before next season, I got the impression that his hands were tied last summer which is why we didn’t see the signings he said we were in the market for... I’m also hoping that’s the reason for the current clear out. If he isn’t given the opportunity to make his own signings then he’ll be off!

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 14:20
I think that's a bit pessimistic Nick. It feels like inconsistent, we've lost to the bottom of the table and beaten the top, so I don't think you can even say the problem is against top class opponents.

A few things bother me about Todd, and they may be subconsciously adding to a feeling he'll be off:

- We don't seem to have a consistent way of playing.
- I'm not sure whether or not the ball retention is part of a strategy or not, it's clearly only part of a solution and I don't see the other part emerging.
- The best, most consistent we've played recently was the early season when Todd joined us. Since then we've gone stale. I think that was too early for Todd and Tab to have had an impact. Our form has fallen off broadly in line with the time I would expect their impact to be felt.

Edit:

- Also, I'm bother by the fact he's got a track record of his teams not really adding up. Which is just what we seem to be doing.

I am torn as I really think we need to give a DoR a good run at the post. So, if we offer him a 10 year contract, great. If he goes of his own accord, I'll be ok about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/01/2018 14:23 by DanWiley.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 14:26
Let's wait and see. There's a lot of positive noise about the Dragons, but they're still garbage.

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 14:27
Dan, I am of the same opinion ref Todd, he seems to have made a success of "nearly teams" I mean the Crusaders had an outstanding squad but seemed to fall short to often. I do hope he is allowed top bring in who he wants.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 14:34
I agree Dan, we need a DoR in place for a 4 year spell at least.

If I have a worry it is that TB is on his own, our early season form was when TB and TM where in partnership so as mentioned before I think he needs some help.

Unfortunately teams often go through a bumpy time around stadium development, I'm sure that managing a big project detracts from getting the team right. I hope he stays but whatever happens let's have someone there for longer than a 2-3 year tenure!

BB&W 1865
BB&W 1865 (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 14:53
Quote:
nick holder
Dan, I am of the same opinion ref Todd, he seems to have made a success of "nearly teams" I mean the Crusaders had an outstanding squad but seemed to fall short to often. I do hope he is allowed top bring in who he wants.

Yep, we all tip toe around the fact he’s never won anything even with Dan Carter and Richie McCaw...

MESSAGES->author
Bathbadger (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 14:54
Article also says he may be off to France! Dan Evans from the Chronic also says don't beleive everything you read - WalesOnline has an agenda! winking smiley

Cheers,

Rich

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 14:55
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
woodpecker

Ask again in a season and a half

I will make a note, so far he's made 23 in 1.5 seasons, which is more than I expected given Wales and injury

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 15:22
I make that only about £27k a game?

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 16:22
Entirely plausible story, TF probably came for a combination of the money and being sold on the idea that Bath would win trophies.

Instead he's got the money and an underperforming team incapable of competing at the very top. For a top player I wouldn't have thought that money alone is enough.

When do JJ and AW's contracts expire?

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 16:44
Think Walesonline are pushing the limits of what may have been said, seems to me he is simply saying he is enjoying it at Bath, is committed to playing his best through his contract and will decide what next after this contract when the right time comes and what is available

Pretty sensible and professional in my book

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 16:45
I can't believe he was convinced Bath would win trophies. Even at our recent best, Mike Ford's penultimate season, we only looked like we could, with a bit of luck and good management, move into the position where we might have a shot at the AP (but even then the HEC was some development off).

I still haven't found out where all these players who insist on winning trophies are going to go?

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 17:05
Quote:
DanWiley
I can't believe he was convinced Bath would win trophies. Even at our recent best, Mike Ford's penultimate season, we only looked like we could, with a bit of luck and good management, move into the position where we might have a shot at the AP (but even then the HEC was some development off).
I still haven't found out where all these players who insist on winning trophies are going to go?

If they went onto one of the well known betting sites they could see the odds for each club, then go to that club. However, it changes every year and as the season goes on the odds change.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 17:11
Quote:
DanWiley

In England it would be Sarries and Exeter with Wasps the most likely to join them in contending. If I were a top player they would be the only sides I'd consider playing for in England.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 17:34
Quote:
DanWiley

Look, I think Mike Ford was a disaster as a man manager and is probably the reason our squad is so disjointed, but this is mealy nonsense, we were in the blooky final, he certainly gave us a shot at the AP. He then absolutely shat the bed, but still.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 17:35
Quote:
DanWiley

Agree again Dan, he wanted a club to:

1) Pay him a decent wedge
2) Improve his game
3) Be close to home, S Wales

Playing for Wales is massively important for him.

Trophies would be a bonus, if he wanted trophies he could have gone to one of the West Wales regions for the Pro 12/14

Ian E
Ian E (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 18:16
On Chron he says he is happy at Bath and not considering a move or anything until 2019 when he'll review the position. I think it's mischief making,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/01/2018 18:18 by Ian E.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

18 January, 2018 19:11
What a non story! Are we going to speculate on all players as to what they are going to do in 18 months time or when their contracts end! A lot can happen in 18 months good or bad. What a lot of baloney!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 08:45
I think it is fair to say that the Welsh rugby media have a particular agenda in disseminating stories that will encourage the return of, or at the very least unsettle players based outside Wales.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 08:54
Doesn't Mercer's contract expire then as well?

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 09:02
Looking at our squad thread practically all of our backrow contracts do.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 09:15
Do the realists on the board think it's likely we'll re-sign both Faletau and Mercer?

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 10:16
Quote:
Danchinho
Do the realists on the board think it's likely we'll re-sign both Faletau and Mercer?

In 18 months Mercer will be in direct competition with Faletau for the No 8 spot. This puts him in the same situation as Itoje was in at Sarries about a year ago. On that basis Itoje's contract made him a bargain.

Wouldn't that make Faletau an expensive luxury?

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 10:29
The loss of Faletau will be a real blow if it is true and not a load of rubbish as mentioned by others above - but for us we have the best young 8 in England still here and so I don't see it being a humongous loss in a sense.

By then remember we will have a fit again Ellis, Zach Mercer, Flouw still presumably, Garvey, Grant and Underhill which is still not bad back row stock! Faletau for as superb as he has been for us has been very injury prone sadly and when he's not injured he's been with Wales - none of which is a fault of his!

It may be though that we look to reinvest his wages elsewhere given Zach's meteoric rise and tbh it may be best that we do given our struggles for consistency this year! I personally would like to see us sign a really good young team of AP quality players who are not yet at international level but who we can gel into a top unit instead. With Ellis, Mercer and Underhill we already have a hell of a back row unit for the future so let's put that money into centres or front row or a scrum half imo!

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 10:30
Assuming for a second that TF is happy here and would like to stay, I think it would an ideal situation. World class number 8 going into the latter phase of his career, young, very promising 8 who has already shown he can play at this level. Offer them both 3 year contracts. One learns from the other as over that period they transition from one to the other. Two year from signing look for the next, in this case very young, Zach.

It would cost money, but having that 8 position nailed for 3 years and a succession plan for beyond would be well worth it.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 10:57
Whoever Mercer's agent is must be seeing £ signs in front of his eyes...

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 11:31
Quote:
DanWiley
Assuming for a second that TF is happy here and would like to stay, I think it would an ideal situation. World class number 8 going into the latter phase of his career, young, very promising 8 who has already shown he can play at this level. Offer them both 3 year contracts. One learns from the other as over that period they transition from one to the other. Two year from signing look for the next, in this case very young, Zach.
It would cost money, but having that 8 position nailed for 3 years and a succession plan for beyond would be well worth it.
I suspect that Taulupe is younger than you think - he has been around forever after all. In 18 months, he'll be 29, and looking at another 6 years for his career, not winding down over the course of 3. He'll, he'll be expecting another 2-3 years as being in his prime for a #8

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 11:55
No, that's about what I was expecting. Zach will be 22? So now we'll have the experienced Lion starting most matches, Zach starting AV, international and smaller games, possibly on the bench when TF starts.

Three years, Zach will be 25, coming into his prime and really expecting to start the big games and TF will be 32, starting to take the foot off the gas but more than capable still of filling in. At that point, resign TF if we can, but no big issue if he wants a pay off in Japan.

I think past 32 you're expecting a bit much to say this guy WILL be our first choice starting every big game and going on to 35 is by no means a certainty.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 13:11
[www.bathchronicle.co.uk] Chron "I'm happy at Bath"

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 13:40
Offer Zac a juicy extension to his contract NOW before the big boys start sniffing round next year.

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 14:15
Why would he stay?? Things are so dreadful at our club at the moment. I have heard bad things coming out of Farleigh, though they are only rumours.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 14:31
Spill the beans then, BP. Don't leave us dangling.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 14:38
I remember reading those stories about Tigers and punch ups in training years ago.

When they were winning it was an effect.

When they were losing it was a cause.

None of us are there at FH. Well, I don't think any if us are.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 14:42
Quote:
BathPatriot
Why would he stay?? Things are so dreadful at our club at the moment. I have heard bad things coming out of Farleigh, though they are only rumours.

Oh no... have the garra rufa fish in the foot spa died?

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 19:21
Re BathPatriots tittle tattle, I propose a new forum rule called ‘put up, or shove off’. If you know something and it doesn’t break any rules then share it, otherwise wind your neck in.

Back to TF ... always comes across as a top professional and top professionals don’t say they’re off 18 months before the end of a contract.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/01/2018 19:22 by Beergoggles.

stuart turner
Loiner (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 20:36
Give the team a break. They are the ones putting their bodies on the line until they are injured and can’t for a while.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

19 January, 2018 21:05
As far as I can tell, the “fact” that the story is based on is a Faletau declining an early extension. That doesn’t rule out an extension later.

Stuart

Former ed.

sirtidychris
sirtidychris (IP Logged)

20 January, 2018 10:12
Baths are a good place to spend a short period of time not doing much to ease your injuries, when you feel better or the water gets cold it's time to move on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2018 10:13 by sirtidychris.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net