rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Mayroad99
Mayroad99 (IP Logged)

Under 14s looking for a tour match - HELP
22 January, 2018 08:14
Morning
The Kingsbridge U14 squad are travelling to Bath on tour in March but currently don't have a tour match lined up for the weekend. We are coming up for the Bath v Chiefs game but due to the change in match day we now can't stay until the Sunday for our planned match against Corsham/Melksham and Devizes. We are therefore looking for a match in the area for Saturday 24th March. Does anyone know of any local teams who might be up for it or have any contacts I can approach ?

They're actually a decent bunch for Chiefs fans though I keep trying to educate them in the ways of the Blue Black and White !

Cheers

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

Re: Under 14s looking for a tour match - HELP
22 January, 2018 09:37
Bradford on Avon are strong at U14s, they might be worth approaching.
Do Bath Youth have an U14s team?

Optimist might know which junior Bath clubs have good youth set ups.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

22 January, 2018 11:07
Bath youth do have an U14 team. The possible obstacle for them could be school sporting commitments on a Saturday as most Bath schools field teams in a variety of sports - the best rugby players may be required for sevens tournaments.

Other possible clubs nearby are Keynsham (usually strong in most age groups), Chippenham, Old Reds in Bristol and Trowbridge.

PG

P G Tips

Paul Grant: my adopted Player, 2017-18.

Sir Redneck
Sir Redneck (IP Logged)

22 January, 2018 13:32
Trowbridge U14's are playing Royal Wootton Bassett on the Sunday (25th) so I doubt they'll be able to help.

Foot Up
Foot Up (IP Logged)

22 January, 2018 14:08
Try Avonvale RFC - a friendly local club with an u14 team - contact details on Pitchero

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

22 January, 2018 14:30
Or you could try Walcot -see if they able to field a Saturday team?

PG

P G Tips

Paul Grant: my adopted Player, 2017-18.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

22 January, 2018 16:13
Fraid i'm out of that loop these days.

Mayroad99
Mayroad99 (IP Logged)

22 January, 2018 17:07
Thanks for all the replies and DMs - will start making contact with the club's mentioned and see how I get on

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

22 January, 2018 17:20
There are also youth sections at Frome & Norton Radstock.

PG

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

23 January, 2018 23:06
And Castle Cary.

Stuart

Former ed.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

24 January, 2018 13:00
Quote:
TCM2007
And Castle Cary.

Cary have really, really struggled to field teams in the current U14 age group over the years. There was talk of them joining with Sherborne to try to put out a side, another club who struggle for numbers and quality in this age group......

Saturday fixtures are always a struggle due to other commitments for players and their families.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

24 January, 2018 13:25
Am I the only one that gets the impression that the number of junior club teams is falling off a cliff?

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

24 January, 2018 14:01
Problem is you need a minimum of 18 players available each week so a squad of 24+ as a minimum. Many clubs don't have squads that size in minis so will never be able to cope with the increased match day squad size as they enter youth rugby.

Add in the increased likelihood of having longer term injuries as you have the mis-match of pre-puberty kids playing with post-puberty young men and smaller kids or those less able to deal with the contact start to drop out, plus many private schools don't like their kids playing both school and club rugby.

At under 14s the 6 foot, 16+ stone player is becoming fairly common, so you get 100 kgs kids coming up against 45-50 kg 'normal' size kids. The game stops being fun for some as a result.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net