rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Bath Rugby Songs
25 January, 2018 17:24
The llanelli scarlets fans had some great songs (sung beautifully) as do people like Leinster. When we were in Treviso there was the best singing from the Bath fans that I have heard in a while - it was brilliant fun. Does anyone know where the words to these various songs are written down? Banners seemed to very much enjoy 'we all dream of a team of Banahans' (to yellow submarine). Get a bit bored of just shouting 'C'mon Baaaarf'...

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

Re: Bath Rugby Songs
26 January, 2018 15:42
*Ahem* it's "Come on you Baaaarf", thank you very much!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 January, 2018 15:53
Quote:
@Hydor18
*Ahem* it's "Come on you Baaaarf", thank you very much!

Maybe for you posho's in the laaah-dee-dahh Gem Stand! To be fair there is some variation - there's always the 'Barf Barf Barf Barf'.

(Judging by the lack of posts I guessing it was a rogue conductor that got us singing in the Italian sun...give that man a job at the Rec)

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 03:14
He cannot be any worse than the announcer/crowd warm up man we presently employ.

Better still if the crowd sang say the first 3 and last 3 verses of Eskimo Nell or all of Immobile. Now they are proper rugby songs???

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 07:50
If the crowd sang like the Scarlets fans the announcer wouldn’t need to get the crowd going.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 08:45
Maybe if the team could play as well as Scarlets that would get the crowd going. 😎

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 08:52
So pull up a seat, and sit you down
And listen while I tell,
Of Dead-Eye Dick and Mexican Pete,
And a woman named Eskimo Nell.

BoB you'll never get away with it!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 09:04
Quote:
OutsideBath
Maybe if the team could play as well as Scarlets that would get the crowd going. 😎

Or maybe the crowd could get the team going? I understand that BoB is going to smash out nessun dorma at half time whilst rolling in a big inflatable orange?

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 09:20
How ?

Nessum Dorma - I thought that was a Japanese camper van?

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 12:43
Quote:
Boldangrey
So pull up a seat, and sit you down
And listen while I tell,
Of Dead-Eye Dick and Mexican Pete,
And a woman named Eskimo Nell.

BoB you'll never get away with it!

The version I remember :
"So fill my glass and I'll park my @#$%&
and a tale to you I'll tell
Of Deadeye Dick and Mexico Pete
and the gentle Eskimo Nell."

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 13:08
It’s the bombastic and banal announcer which sucks any genuine atmos and spontaneity out of proceedings that is more than a little to blame.

SQUAWK

VinceJ
VinceJ (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 13:31
BoB

My recollection is that it is "In Mobile". Sample verse:

Oh, the eagles, they fly high in Mobile.
Oh, the eagles, they fly high in Mobile.
Oh, the eagles, they fly high,
And they s**t right in your eye.
Thank the Lord that cows don't fly in Mobile.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 18:48
You lads are getting the hang of the songs, very well done. True Rugby songs and one of my favourites is the Marseilles about a gentleman's trip to the lavatory!

Somewhere I have a written copy (used on my last Tour) of all 26 verses of Eskimo Nell along with many other ditties which proved very popular with the returning schoolgirls on the Isle of Wight ferry at the beginning of the Easter Tour. (One of our number purporting to be full back ended up in jail accused of nicking an Estate Agents board. I ask you, he was doing his public duty tidying up the highway as it was causing an obstruction after being put in the pile we accumulated in Newport High Street!)

With my potential new position if called up by the club as Head of Entertainment (don't tell anyone but a nod is as good as a wink to a blind man), I will busy myself to find the said song sheets for mass production. Perhaps the moderators could add the texts as a sticky to this site and all supporters could print off their own copies or store the words on their I phones. (Haven't got a clue how to do that myself but it does sound very modern and grown up.)

We would need to have a choir practise (my old club had 4 church choristers in their playing ranks) starting with and followed by a few beers. Wonder if Wadsworths would sponsor us and provide free beer if we took the name of their top selling winter brew, The Old Timers Songsters, TOTS for short? No not TOGs for those who remember Mr Wogan. TOTs. We could take on tots of Mount Gay rum instead as consumed during the annual Boxing Day so called friendly. The smell of rum in the scrum is never forgotten!

Well keep the songs coming. Always glad to read alternative wordings and adaptions.

Some rugby clubs of my acquaintance had their 'own' song or acted out a routine with their song. Very entertaining and what helped make the evenings at an Easter Festival go with a swing. (Great memories of a wheelchair routine by a leading Army Regiment and another by a Dorset Rugby Club's song with actions of a large male bovine animal!) Happy days and nights!!

Look forward to receiving your contributions.

PS Apparently the club have had second thoughts on such an enterprise as it possibly might prove more entertaining than the actual play on the field!

Also, the TV companies are saying they are concerned about the efficacy of some of the words and may be seen as sexist smd offensive to even viewers on Channel 4, especially if broadcasting takes place before the.watershed!

Keep the songs coming and I will talk to the lawyers about freedom of speech (and song) although some words are no worse than the poet laureate Coralline Duffy! Hey ho..

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 05:15
Exhaushasted but 10 out of 10

FLAP

Mike the Taxi

28 January, 2018 12:58
Again, not a song but a saga, I have a copy of the 'Daniel in the Lion's Den' saga:
"'Twas the Night of the King's Castration: the last of the Royal Balls was coming off. All the counts, discounts and no-'ccounts were sitting around the throne room slinging camel-@#$%&, for in those days, bull-@#$%& was as yet unknown".
Also, one called, simply, 'The Bosun':
"'Twas in the year if sixteen hundred and f*** all,
in the town of Port B***ocks in Cornwall,
and the expedition was making ready to set forth;
least-wise, the crew, they were making ready to set forth,
the captain, he was making ready to set forth,
Lord Jim, he was making ready to set forth.
Aah! but the Boatswine, clever @#$%& he was!
He were making ready to sow the seeds of love in a barmaid."

The expedition gets underway, and probably a dozen verses of adventure ensue

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 13:00
Doesn’t sound as fun as the ‘Hoops there it is, Hoops there it is etc.’? Harder to learn too!

Mike the Taxi

28 January, 2018 13:23
As I said, sagas for recital in the bar after the game! If you want a song/chant, you can't get much better than 'Ooh, ooh, Antho-ny Watson'!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net