rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

Team's Up!
26 January, 2018 11:52
Interesting selection- Charteris Captain:

Bath Rugby team to face Newcastle Falcons

15. Darren Atkins

14. Matt Banahan

13. James Wilson

12. Ben Tapuai

11. Jeff Williams

10. Freddie Burns

9. Darren Allinson

1. Nick Auterac

2. Michael van Vuuren

3. Shaun Knight

4. Levi Douglas

5. Luke Charteris (c)

6. James Phillips

7. Josh Bayliss

8. Paul Grant

Replacements

16. Nathan Charles

17. Will Vaughan

18. Sam Nixon

19. Will Britton

20. Miles Reid

21. Max Green

22. Josh Lewis

23. Jack Wilson

PG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/01/2018 13:02 by P G Tips.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

Re: Team's Up!
26 January, 2018 12:14
...and the Falcons

15 Alex Tait

14 Belisario Agulla

13 Dominic Waldouck

12 Juan Pablo Socino

11 Adam Radwan

10 Joel Hodgson

9 Sam Stuart

1 Sam Lockwood

2 Santiago Socino

3 Trevor Davison

4 Glen Young

5 Andrew Davidson

6 Ally Hogg

7 Simon Uzokwe

8 Ryan Burrows (captain)

Replacements

16 Ben Sowrey

17 Adam Brocklebank

18 Jack Payne

19 Callum Hunter-Hill

20 Callum Chick

21 Ruaridh Dawson

22 Tom Penny

23 Craig Willis

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

BathOtter
BathOtter (IP Logged)

26 January, 2018 12:14
Good side for me. Start from the bottom in terms of players available and work up, filling in the gaps with the next best fit and available. Bench filled largely by academy. Burns getting game time the only stand out in terms of first choice for me. Banners and Tapuai essential as no others around. Charteris maybe only strange choice but Stooke needs a rest!!

MESSAGES->author

26 January, 2018 12:18
Would've thought Levi would have been better at 6 - Phillips should stay at Lock
Also thought we might play the other Levi - he did well against Irish - unless he's injured

Olly_L
BathLad (IP Logged)

26 January, 2018 12:24
Saw levi davis in a knee brace at the Wasps game so imagine thats still an issue

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

26 January, 2018 12:32
Good to see Max Green back & able to play. I am interested to see what he has to offer as: is it more than W Homer, who's potential seemed exciting 2 seasons ago?

Or is there some other agenda with SHs?

PG

P G Tips

Paul Grant: my adopted Player, 2017-18.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 January, 2018 12:53
Quote:
P G Tips
Good to see Max Green back & able to play. I am interested to see what he has to offer as: is it more than W Homer, who's potential seemed exciting 2 seasons ago?

PG

According to the Chron W homer is off so I guess getting Max Green some game time with us is of more long-term benefit?

Great to see Knight and Williams back after so long out injured - fingers crossed they come through unscathed.

Douglas changed his body shape when he changed to lock in the same way as Ellis did it the other way around. As he is playing for a contract I'm happy to see him get a chance in his preferred position - I really like him as a player.

Allinson has it in his hands to prove us doubters wrong - hope he has a storming game tomorrow.

Any sort of win with no injuries would do for me tomorrow. COYB!

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

26 January, 2018 12:58
Great to see Knight and Williams back after so long out injured - fingers crossed they come through unscathed.

Douglas changed his body shape when he changed to lock in the same way as Ellis did it the other way around. As he is playing for a contract I'm happy to see him get a chance in his preferred position - I really like him as a player.

Allinson has it in his hands to prove us doubters wrong - hope he has a storming game tomorrow.

+1 BathMatt. Would really like to see Douglas in a Bath shirt partnered with Stooke, Mercer, Ellis and Bayliss in the future. Hope Allinson has a cracker like he did in preseason. I know many on here aren't fussed but I enjoy seeing the young mixed with the senior players and seeing how well they take their chance. That being said, no injuries please!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 January, 2018 13:02
Quote:
BathBurger

+1 BathMatt. Would really like to see Douglas in a Bath shirt partnered with Stooke, Mercer, Ellis and Bayliss in the future. Hope Allinson has a cracker like he did in preseason. I know many on here aren't fussed but I enjoy seeing the young mixed with the senior players and seeing how well they take their chance. That being said, no injuries please!

Agreed, I have seen a few of them in the 'A' league games but its really good to see how some of these young and talented lads perform in front of a big crowd on the big stage.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

26 January, 2018 13:21
This will be an interesting test as when we met them early in the season we couldn't cope with their fluent offloading & ability to find gaps, much like Scarlets did against us. There are two questions. Are Newcastle still able to adopt that playing style effectively & if so have we worked out a better way to cope with it. I would think that any team with that ability would do well to test us by running from deep whenever they have the ball as we have seemed incapable of stopping such attacks.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

26 January, 2018 13:27
Ditto to both B.B. & Matt.
However acknowledging I donít know much about Newcastle squad I do recognise a number of those names - could be a tough one for our lads?

FLAP

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

26 January, 2018 13:47
Quote:
sid the seagull
Ditto to both B.B. & Matt.
However acknowledging I donít know much about Newcastle squad I do recognise a number of those names - could be a tough one for our lads?

FLAP

Absolutely Sid! Which is why I'm strangely looking forward to it. Others may see this as our only chance for silverware but personally I'm not too fussed about it. Falcons backline looks pretty handy which will be a good test for the likes of Bayliss and Douglas in terms of tracking back, re-positioning etc. Would love a win and I believe we can get one, but if we lose and our junior players put a hardy shift in I will be content.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

26 January, 2018 13:56
I think Hooper takes charge of the team for AWC? Interesting to see how team get on him under his charge too.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

26 January, 2018 14:10
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
P G Tips

PG

According to the Chron W homer is off so I guess getting Max Green some game time with us is of more long-term benefit?

Any sort of win with no injuries would do for me tomorrow. COYB!
+1
This has become a lot more interesting to me, knowing we're seeing some less familiar faces, and some returning from injury.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

26 January, 2018 15:11
Glad to see Knight back and personally I hope he has a blinder and somehow finds his way back into favour and manages to stay as IMO he has a lot of unfulfilled talent.

Also glad to see Green getting some recognition and hopefully game time as my Yorkshire friend and Leeds fan raves about his abilities.

I am sorry if Will Homer is off as he looked very capable even if a tad small.

Would much rather have Phillips in the second row but understand the coaches wanting to start Douglas to see what he can do.

Newcastle have a mix of experience heads and youth and will be a handful. Seriously hope Freddie gets a decent quick service from Allinson which is my greatest concern.

Lastly, readers of the Injuries thread will have known I and a couple of guys from Old Prostates RFC have been holding ourselves in readiness for the call to arms following the club's injury crisis. Suffice to say, my self imposed abstinence ended at lunch time today with the usual Friday lifter after negotiations broke down over there being no spare time at the Spa and the sponsors not being prepared to buy me a pair of brown brogues. Also one is expected to buy ones own beer (no freebie from the Chairman or club barrel since John Connolly used to make of it all himself). Some of the younger players have NEVER let alcohol past their lips. Unbelievable!

Also, there were concerns from the coaches about my leading the younger players astray, both during and after the game. Particularly my 'over aggressive ' play (apparently twotting hookers is frowned upon these days) and after match games and carousing in the club house with the opposition, such as boat racing, is definitely not the done thing now. When do the players talk to the referee and try and buy his favouritism with an occasional pint or 3? Or apologise to your opposite number for landing that dig in the ribs on the field of play?

I told Todd and his fellow coaches it is part of their duties and responsibilities to teach these lads the ways of the world, including matters regarding the opposite sex. I was very forcibly told this subject is taboo and should never be raised again. I informed him that we had rules that no sex the night before or night after a game. Sunday is s possibility, hangover permitting, and no more than twice during the week and preferably avoiding Tuesday and Thursdays training nights, when more beer has to be taken. (Of course when on Rugby Tour all such rules go out the window as one is hell bent on gaining points and influence with the Tour Committee to hopefully win the coveted Top Tourist Trophy which includes off field activities.)

These days of professionalism may be seen as better for the players financially and from a welfare point of view but they are missing the spontaneity and fun we had in the past. My brief coming out of retirement has ended for now but I have let it be known I could still be persuaded if the package was right and as I never want my team to take the field short. This interlude has shown me that the drive to make money all around has meant modern players are not able to let themselves go and really enjoy themselves both on and off the field. No wonder their performances have varied so much and seemingly lead a dull existence.

C'mom Bath give it a lash, starting this weekend and play with a smile.

Going out on a limb with a prediction of 3-5 point Bath win.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

26 January, 2018 17:41
Hey BoB, sorry to hear you didn't make the 23, we know you were looking forward to it.

Perhaps you could lend your experience to the players by passing on encouragement during breaks in play instead?

I don't mean advice on off the pitch 'activities' though, we do need them thinking about the game.

You might need to wear an ear piece during the match if you can fit it through your cauliflower ear.

You will also need to wear a coloured bib so that your impressive physique is not mistaken for a player.

On the bright side, the bib might say 'Hydration' which gives you freedom to serve Old Timer since it doesn't say 'Water'.

Bathovalballer

26 January, 2018 19:25
C'mon B4thB4ck lets be serious.

The notion of producing Old Timer from the on field hydration unit is too far fetched and would be guaranteed to knock out those young lads (and,dare I say i, those who only drink lager) who have never taken of strong ale.

If I could be of service to the Hooper man and the club, I would willingly don a brightly coloured bib (as long as it is not pink) over the old hooped shirt but would want the title amended to 'Tactician' in large bold print to add a bit of gravitas to my status. Not so sure about the ear piece, have never worn earrings even to the annual club New Years Eve fancy dress party. I know what to say and do for the lads to win a game and dominate their forwards. If needed, I could provide a rallying call to improve the fight with a few choice words and suggestions on how to take out the opposition players giving us the most trouble.

Tips on making a head butt look like an accident, landing a blow from behind or belting the ribs when there main jumper is in the air, the odd elbow when being tackled, a stamp on fingers left on the ground, how to dole out a dead leg, Boldngrey's excellent suggestion of the uppercut to the hooker from the second row etc. are all second nature to an experienced practitioner. As the great Willie John McBride advocated most forceably on the Lions 1974 Tour, 'Get your retaliation in first!' and backed it up with the infamous '99' call when every Lion on the field was duty bound to hit the closest opponent. Coupled with these gems would be liberal applications of Sloane's Lineament by the Physio lady to rejuvenate tired limbs along with Elastoplast to cover the knuckles of the forwards and soften any damage and avoid tell tale cuts from any blow they may land.

I could go on but just in case the opposition read this site, I don't want them to utilise all this advice.

Oh you say what about tactics and game plans? Haven't a clue old boy but I know what has to be done to help ensure you are best placed to dominate the physical contact and as that General Maximus said at the start of the battle in Gladiator, 'Unleash Hell' is what I would advocate.

That would give us the edge.

Hope I get the call. Will only have a gin and tonic (double) and one (large) glass of Chateauneuf Du Pape with dinner tonight and only one glass of port (Warres 2004) with the cheese course. Got to make sacrifices and set an example and will get to bed before midnight, promise.

Look forward to seeing you all at the Rec tomorrow.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 January, 2018 19:29
Holy wall(s) of text batman!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

26 January, 2018 19:41
I struggle to get interested in the AWC even though it's our only chance of success.

Will decide tomorrow if I can be bothered to go.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 January, 2018 19:44
Quote:
OutsideBath
I struggle to get interested in the AWC even though it's our only chance of success.
Will decide tomorrow if I can be bothered to go.

Surely some of those kids could do with our support? Just see it as a game of rugby OB rather than a tournament, like an A game. Sometimes itís just nice to watch without pressure. Looking forward to it (but hope it doesnít rain).

Trawling
Trawling (IP Logged)

26 January, 2018 20:02
OB I don't know how far outside Bath you are but:

Bath are playing in one of only 3 competitions they can win at all

Now it"s only 2

We haven't won anything for a long time

Winning a competition beats winning the chance of winning something

Whatever side we put out stands more chance with some support

I don't get the sniffy attitude to AW even if it's an odd format

Newcastle are top of their group and have named a proper side

So I will be doing the 200 mile round trip and would hope for a good, noisy crowd.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

26 January, 2018 21:58
Well done BoB.

Probably the closest you've ever come to common sense.

Old Prostates will be ready with a warming glass of after shave.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 08:56
Just checked the pools.

If we win today we go through to the semis.

If we lose, Glos go through - there's an incentive!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 09:09
Stand a decent chance of a home semi I would have thought (if we win of course). Then semi 11th March and final 18th, couple of days after the Gold Cup. That would be a heavy few days!

BathOtter
BathOtter (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 09:10
Quote:
Boldangrey
Just checked the pools.
If we win today we go through to the semis.

If we lose, Glos go through - there's an incentive!

Unfortunately not BnG - if we win with a bonus point, then we retain our 2 point lead over Glaws, and then destiny is in our hands next weekend, with a win of any sort being enough to go through regardless of other results. But, incentive enough I agree!

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 09:21
I seem to remember many on this board scoffing at Chiefs fans when when Exe won this competition a few years ago. Hmmm, proved a pretty good springboard to greater things methinks.

Is the Falcons winger related to Ringo?

OOYB

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 09:22
My mistake. Just goes to show how hard this competition is to understand.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 19:42
...and the final is at Kingsholm...

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 19:49
...and that's a reward?

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 19:51
It will be if we are in it and Glaws aren't!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 20:45
Remember what happened last time we were at a final at Kingsholm

Bathovalballer

27 January, 2018 21:00
We won Kesmo but we did have some quality players in the side who were up for the battle that day.

Lee Mears had a stormer IIRR.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net