rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Shorty Shorty iiv
Shorty Shorty iiv (IP Logged)

Bath vs Falcons : Match Thread
27 January, 2018 15:07
Painful...
13 mins 0-0

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

Re: Bath vs Falcons : Match Thread
27 January, 2018 15:12
Lucky not to be 20 points down.
The TJ on the open side is ruining the match mind.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 15:17
Referee is poor too.
Clear knock on missed, though got a penalty 10 secs later.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 15:20
Dozen phased driven back 20m, no forward was moving when they took the ball, all standing still - really poor from Bath.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 15:25
This ref is awful. Clearly not releasing on the floor, but no......

MESSAGES->author
spongey (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 15:26
We're very bad. I don't get to the game plan, we can't scrummage, can't attack and can barely defend. In half an hour we have tried one backs move. That's horrific.

For Freddie to want to try a drop goal after turning down three points is just mind numbing. We hate having the ball and kick without even having played a phase.

Newcastle should be three tries up and are unlucky not be, they're clearly then superior side and haves done some very nice things in poor conditions.

MESSAGES->author
spongey (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 15:28
Quote:
Dorset Boy
This ref is awful. Clearly not releasing on the floor, but no......

I think he's been pretty good to be fair. Disallowing the Newcastle try was a good spot and changing his decision on the off side off a knock on.

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 15:37
The worst 40mins in living memory. I feel sorry for the fans who paid hard earned dosh to suffer watching such ineptitude.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 15:38
I wonder if Banahan is going to punch Allinson at half time? 2 big lines and Allinson is still fumbling around going - where is that egg?

ilovebathtime
ilovebathtime (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 15:41
I'm not sure the commentators are watching the same game as me. Scintillating might well be the last word I'd use to describe it.

Newcastle on a dry day I think would be out of sight by now.

I don't think I've ever seen a team lose ground with pick and drives to quite the degree we have every single time. Either people are taking the ball stood still or if coming on at pace aren't given the ball.

I guess at least having the same game plan with the kids means that if they get given the chance with the first team they'll be up to speed with how we play. No possession, no threat, play as individuals, hope that we have someone like Roko on the pitch that can make something out of nothing

Ian E
Ian E (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 15:41
Awful conditions very slippery underfoot and to hand- it's not going to be a pretty match. banahan looking for the quick pass on more than one occasion- not seen by Alinson on two attempts need a bit more heads up Rugby to turn their defence at the moment just running into them and be driven back

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 15:43
Quote:
BathPatriot
The worst 40mins in living memory. I feel sorry for the fans who paid hard earned dosh to suffer watching such ineptitude.

Plenty of other first halves have been worse from a Bath perspective: Scarletts, Wasps, Exeter etc

It looks like a side with loads of confidence against a side with no confidence & no ideas

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 15:45
Allinson and Van Vuuren are... Not great.

MESSAGES->author
Widcombe Boy (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 15:50
Iím gone! Will watch at home but just dire

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 15:51
I see the positivity is running high today
"Worst 40 minutes in living memory" fornthe 10th time this season. Reality suggests though that it's not even the worst in 2018 so far
"no possession" as BT put up 53% possession for Bath...

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/01/2018 15:55 by Which Tyler.

MESSAGES->author
Widcombe Boy (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 15:53
Well youíre welcome to stand in my place WT

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 15:54
Quote:
Widcombe Boy
Well youíre welcome to stand in my place WT
cheers, I'll be there in about 2 hours

RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
Widcombe Boy (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 15:57
Ha nice one

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 16:04
Very strong finish from Grant.

MESSAGES->author
spongey (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 16:10
Quote:
hasta
Allinson and Van Vuuren are... Not great.

Allinson is bad but I was about to write how Van Vuuren has been by far and away our best player. He's carried well, disrupted lots of rucks and putting in tackles.

And Paul Grant scores again. Think there's an argument he's our player of the season. And as I write this he makes a great break that almost leads to a score.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 16:17
Great score by Bath. Good hands, but end to end stuff.
14-3, 64 mins

ilovebathtime

27 January, 2018 16:19
Much better second half. Like the look of the lock that has come on. He's trying to get on the ball in every ruck.

Scrum half also seems to have sped the game up a bit as well.

MESSAGES->author
spongey (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 16:19
Knowing Banahan is going gets worse every game. He's still playing with such passion and can just do wonderful things like the run and offload for Charles. He really should have been able to retire a Bath player.

MESSAGES->author
spongey (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 16:22
Nixon has made a huge difference in the scrum. Although somehow we made that scrum dominance work against us. The Newcastle 11 has that somebodythinf special doesn't be he?

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 16:33
Really smart rugby for a third try.
21-8, 77 mins
Newcastle mess up the restart.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 16:37
As bad as the first half, they've been really good this half. Key has been keeping the Falcons centres at bay.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 16:39
21-8 FT
Back to top of the pool.

ilovebathtime

27 January, 2018 16:41
Burns second half has been very good. Playing the territory game isn't really what I'd associate with him, but he kicked with real purpose. I think we really need him to hit form as the weather improves

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 16:44
Better second half, so a win is a win , will be the conversation, thatís where we are at the moment, any win will do.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 17:32
Ok, it wasnít a great game (!) But...a win, and I didnít see any bad injuries for us.

Bad to single out, but I agree with those above, VV and Allinson not prem standard by a long way (whatís with the compulsory pause before the pass from the base?!). For me that disrupts the whole back line, Freddie and BT donít stand a chance with that 1 or 2seconds lost and static ball.

Am I disappointed that I went? Absolutely not. Take the rough with the smooth.

My positive for the afternoon was that I hadnít heard of Miles Reid and I thought that he played really well, some hits and great hands. Well done that lad, and as for what it means for him:

ĎIíve grown up in Bath, and itís been my dream all my life to play for @bathrugby, so itís nice to achieve it.í @milesreid8 after making his first team debut v @FalconsRugby.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/01/2018 17:33 by BathMatt53.

miller8
miller8 (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 17:34
Not sure you can enjoy Rugby from your arm chair in quite the same way.. Criowd singing to Banners you look sexy in Blue black and white was fun!! The weather was filthy the game was entertaining, we won! minis put in a good show against Melksham.. Graat afternoon...

miller8
miller8 (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 17:36
.... along with you'll look shite in cherry and white smiling smiley)

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 17:45
Well the second half was quite different to the first. Auterac annoyingly good today.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 17:57
Quote:
dannyf2
Auterac annoyingly good today.

Can you re-sign a player for having a good game once in a blue moon against average opposition? Particularly for good money. My personal view is that he wonít be missed with Paz on the scene.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 18:06
That was a new low. Utter, utter dogsh*t. We literally can't do anything right without ****-ing up. And no playing decent rugby for a 10 minute spell when the other 70 is so dreadful doesn't count.

Easily the worst 40 minutes I've ever seen from any Bath team ever, and the rest wasn't much better.

People call me negative and worse, but how can anyone be satisfied with that? F-ing awful.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 18:16
Quote:
ballsout
That was a new low. Utter, utter dogsh*t. We literally can't do anything right without ****-ing up. And no playing decent rugby for a 10 minute spell when the other 70 is so dreadful doesn't count.
Easily the worst 40 minutes I've ever seen from any Bath team ever, and the rest wasn't much better.

People call me negative and worse, but how can anyone be satisfied with that? F-ing awful.

Because we won and so itís not all 100% catastrophic. Try and rustle up a teeny bit of positivity somewhere? (I agree about the quality of the play btw). As for worst 40 ever, you only have to back a couple of weeks to Scarlets.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 18:22
[/quote
And Paul Grant scores again. Think there's an argument he's our player of the season. And as I write this he makes a great break that almost leads to a score.
[/quote]

Don't want to be churlish as he had a very good second half and his try was a great blend of muscle and wit but he should never have passed, it was a walk-in, Hodgson had backed early on the pass out wide

Freddie's kick-pass though, total quality

MESSAGES->author
FourSticks (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 18:29
No, Scarlets was not worse - they played magnificently and were worthy of their points. Today we were inept and a win does not paper over an almost complete lack of attacking nous.

Ironically for such a dull game, we had 3 or so minutes at the end to chase a fourth try but conspired to blow each and every chance we had to get it.

westondave
WestonDave (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 18:33
Unlikely even we can stuff it up enough to lose at Ospreys on their current form so we should get to the semis.

I think I might offer my 13 year old as a coach to fill Matson's place for the rest of the season - he seemed to have far more handle on what they should have been doing this afternoon judging by his comments during the game.

I hope young Max Green gets more game time in the coming months/seasons, because Allinson is just too slow on the pass.

Tapuai would be a far better player if he could offload occasionally. He does a great job spotting the half gap and drawing two players to him to make the tackle but then he invariably dies with the ball with a screaming gap outside him.

Freddie really isn't in the right place with his kicking from hand at the moment (other than the chip to the corner for the try) - kick off out on the full, very short distances on touch kicks. Hopefully a run of games whilst Rhys is away might get his confidence back.

Still don't get what people rave about with Jeff Williams I'm afraid - other than being a nice bloke. Didn't do much wrong this afternoon but wasn't electric either (being fair it was his first game back).

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 18:37
Not a pretty performance but frankly the weather conditions were not pretty either. Both sides butchered clear cut chances. A win was important today and we got it and a lot of youngsters got a run out on the rec. Have to mention Miles Reid a local lad who made some big hits when he came on. I will take the positives out of that!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 18:39
Quote:
FourSticks
No, Scarlets was not worse - they played magnificently and were worthy of their points. Today we were inept and a win does not paper over an almost complete lack of attacking nous.

Forget attacking nous. That'd be a novelty at present. The basics of the game were beyond us for 70 minutes. Same old same old. Ball retention utterly comical, couldn't go three phases without f-ing up.

Quote:
Ironically for such a dull game, we had 3 or so minutes at the end to chase a fourth try but conspired to blow each and every chance we had to get it.

We did indeed. Were given three chances to go for the bonus point try in last couple of minutes and blew every single one. Same as Toulon away. We're allergic to holding onto the ball.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 18:40
Grant is gifted yes but does not have the power.
Freddie, verdict out.
Jack Wilson is a yes.
Sam Nixon defo
and the ginger back row who he? Yes.
Annie lighten up enjoy it, itís Rugby.
BO sorry mate weíve switched off.

HOP

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 18:41
So badly coached. Times up for Booth, Edwards and (already, seemingly) Hooper. I hate the coaching merry go round Bruce presides over but new voices are absolutely necessary.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 18:43
Quote:
sid the seagull
Freddie, verdict out.
Jack Wilson is a yes.
Sam Nixon defo

HOP

Insightful as ever.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 18:50
Quote:
sid the seagull
Freddie, verdict out.
Jack Wilson is a yes.
Sam Nixon defo

HOP

That was Miles Reid that CC and I namechecked. One to watch over the next few years hopefully. Well done that lad.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 18:56
Jesus BO, the second half saw 3 quality tries from Bath and a Falcons try from a lucky ball squiting out the side of the scrum.
Having been smashed in the first 40, somehow preventing Falcons getting anything, we dominated the second 40.

Some positive performances from the youngsters, and a couple of guys getting their first experiences of senior rugby.

Long Term
Long Term (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 19:20
Ballsout what did you expect! If you're not enjoing it stop going.

MESSAGES->author
Griff (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 19:37
First half dire 2nd half much better. Ref our of his depth Great to get some of the academy boys in the park. Nixon looks like he could be the real deal. A win letís move on to ospreys and get a home semi.

"You're going to need a bigger boat"

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 19:41
The future, Miles Reid

[twitter.com]

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/01/2018 19:49 by CoochieCoo.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 19:43
Wasnít Mike Reid frank butcher?

Another Beechen graduate I see. That tie up seems to be producing some results.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/01/2018 19:47 by BathMatt53.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 20:16
Not as woeful as some are making out (surely 2002-2003 must have several candidates for "Worst performance ever"), but not at all good for most of the first 60 minutes either.

Charles' try made by Banners seemed to light Bath up a bit and there was nice intent to counter attack late on.

That cannot mask the fact that the in first half we had no penetration or go forward and seemed to show almost no "fight". Ironically Banners was one of few who did. The rumours of problems within the camp gained credibility tonight. What those are I do not claim to know, but I suspect that they are deep, though they could of course be temporary.

PG

P G Tips

Paul Grant: my adopted Player, 2017-18.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 20:16
Think about it.

Newc came out like a tornado in that first half ran some great lines and off-loaded superbly in the conditions, but we managed to contain them.

The word at half time was two man tackles to stop the off-load and more of the same.

It worked and the bench sealed it for us.

Lots of errors on both sides in wet conditions, but Iíd bet Newc made more overall.

One gripe. Thatís the second time this season that I remember Charteris butchering a catch for a driving maul when the clock is red. Obviously needs to grow a bit.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 20:30
Decided to go in the end, 1st half probably the worst I've ever seen, would have fallen asleep if it wasn't so wet. 2nd half marginally better.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Gussieboy
Gussieboy (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 20:33
Thank God for the kids at half time, without them to show the big boys how to run straight and score tries, we might have been in for a 0-0.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 20:57
I am saying nothing other than somehow we won. After Bath's first half, I seriously believe we did not deserve to win. Don't we practise in the rain at Farleigh?

That result will please most but there was very little quality out there today, albeit in difficult conditions.

Can we take contracts back and either cancel or tear them up? Certain players who will remain nameless, should never be allowed to wear the BB& W again. They have proved they are not good enough.

Sincerely regret more performances like that first half, and Todd and the coaches will have no choice over their futures, they will have to go. Along with many of those players.

Trying to be positive but am struggling all-round.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 21:04
BoB. Hooper coached today's team not Todd.

Personally I believe Ewels was to blame.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 21:35
The second half was pretty decent. Two very nice tries. But we were astoundingly fortunate to be 0-0 at half time and we shouldn't forget that. If 'twere a Prem game Newcastle would have taken points, but it really wasn't that far off the first 20 at home to them in the Prem - just wetter so they executed worse.

I just don't see the point in Allinson - particularly when Will Homer really hasn't been given a chance. Van Vuuren couldn't hit a cow's posterior with a banjo and this has been a consistent problem - albeit he's decent around the pitch.

I'm not sure we've put an 80 minute performance in for three seasons. Tigers Prem semi-final maybe?

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 21:44
Agree about VV.

Charles was much better around the field, but the line out didn't improve much.

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 21:56
Sorry guys but BO is spot on. Truly dreadful , yes second half was better but we are a club all at sea at the moment. Not sure if anyone knows where we are going.

Bathovalballer

27 January, 2018 22:04
I got that wrong BnGy about the coach. But if that performance is anything to go on, the coaching was somewhat inept as was any form of recognizable game plan. Not very good was it?

Cannot blame anyone else but those in the 23 and the coach/s

Bathovalballer

27 January, 2018 22:27
I will not comment on Allinson as others will accuse me of bring down on him suffice to say none of his displays have been anything to write home about! More to the point, why is he bring contracted to us when s talented, youngster like Homer is being squeezed out? I cannot believe Homer is on more money so either he has done or said something to one of the management team, or had a huge disagreement with one or all the coaches. No one in their right mind IMV can say A has more talent than H apart from A has more AP experience.I would counter that by H is much younger than A therefore offers much better in the future. Losing or not keeping Homer just does not add up. Hey ho but I am not having to make the decisions.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 22:28
The utterly infuriating thing is that we started yet another game lacking any sharpness, energy or cohesion & were as lucky as it is possible to be not to concede 3 tries & probably lose the game. I think & hope that the coaches recognise the problem but are no closer to solving it. It is true that we looked better in the 2nd half but by then many games have been & will continue to be lost. This isnít about slating off players. Most had their good moments but also made poor mistakes, though the conditions didnít help. Even when we get on top of sides I donít think we look that great. Our movement & off loading seems slower & more laboured than most sides but we have individual players that can make a difference. Unfortunately one of them has been let go so that makes no sense whatsoever. Hopefully we will sign a decent coach in the summer who can sort this out but I canít seen anything changing before then. In the meantime it achieves nothing over reacting & calling for the heads of certain coaches & players though I share the frustration.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/01/2018 22:31 by Bath Hammer.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 22:36
Miles Green was great.
Ditto Max Green.
Nixon a huge lad.
Thumbs up all the kids.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 22:48
Quote:
dannyf2
Thumbs up all the kids.

Yes the kids at half time were superb.

BBWBaaBaa
BBWBaaBaa (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 23:11
BO are you a season ticket holder? If you are, please don't tear up your ticket, I'll take it off your hands. I will even pay for the postage.
You will feel better away from the Rec, and I will cheer as loud as I can, while accepting that not everything is perfect at Bath!

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 23:23
Quote:
Bathovalballer
I will not comment on Allinson as others will accuse me of bring down on him suffice to say none of his displays have been anything to write home about! More to the point, why is he bring contracted to us when s talented, youngster like Homer is being squeezed out? I cannot believe Homer is on more money so either he has done or said something to one of the management team, or had a huge disagreement with one or all the coaches. No one in their right mind IMV can say A has more talent than H apart from A has more AP experience.I would counter that by H is much younger than A therefore offers much better in the future. Losing or not keeping Homer just does not add up. Hey ho but I am not having to make the decisions.

Homer hasít left. Heís spending a season in Leeds on a dual registration to get game time, to bring him on as a player.

If here he would be behind Kahn and Cooke and would be getting a United games and the odd Anglo welsh. Heís started 11 marches for Carnegie and come on in three more. This will be ringing him on far faster than training sessions.

Stuart

Former ed.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 08:12
I think that BOB was referring to the Chron report which said that W Homer was going at the end of the season. If so it doesnít do us any good him having all this game time!

Bathovalballer

28 January, 2018 10:13
I must have got it wrong but thought I read somewhere, might just have been on this site, Homer was leaving. Great shame IMO and must have been a much better prospect than Allinson.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 10:15
Perspective really is the very strangest thing!

Pretend that you've watched that match and that Newcastle are Bath, and that Bath are Newcastle; and now you're coming on here to give your view of what happened.

I can guarantee that some of those reviewers would be apoplectic about the side that butchers every chance that it creates during its good spell, and then comes out at half-time, makes a series of dreadful basic errors, falls off tackles, gets a lucky try to bring them back in with a chance, and then fails to fire a shot thereafter whilst trying to run the ball from ridiculously deep positions on a rainy day. There would be nothing but admiration for the side that sucked it up whilst under pressure, listened to their coaches' instructions at half-time, came out and played with greater urgency, forced the opposition into errors, and clinically put away virtually every chance that came their way, albeit failing to secure the bonus point when exhaustion, trying too hard and a bit of inexperience prevailed in the last 4 minutes.

Bathovalballer

28 January, 2018 10:24
Your truly live up to your monica Optimist but have to smile at your interpretation of yesterdays events.

You say lack of experience at the end, didn't Mr Charteris knock/drop the ball at that late lineout. How much experience does one need? Hey ho I know nothing as people on here constantly remind me and accuse me of writing drivel with much vitriolic insult!

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 10:27
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Your truly live up to your monica Optimist but have to smile at your interpretation of yesterdays events.
You say lack of experience at the end, didn't Mr Charteris knock/drop the ball at that late lineout. How much experience does one need? Hey ho I know nothing as people on here constantly remind me and accuse me of writing drivel with much vitriolic insult!

It's not that you know nothing BoB, it's just you've picked one element of the game out to argue against Optimist's point about the whole game. As he says change the teams around and then think about how you would feel!

Well done Bath, we took our chances, they didn't. Not pretty at all at times but we got a comfortable win and the youngsters looked very competent.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 10:49
Was really good watching Newcastle in the 1st half. Despite it being a much changed team for them they still played a very similar game plan. Lots of good attacking drills have given them a pattern. I thought playing on a different surface didn't seem to bother them either (1st half only). Who ever thinks we 'contained them' is simply extremely prejudice. We did no such thing, they simply fluffed their very numerous chances. Still, they were good to watch and it was fun watching a side try that kind of rugby even in those conditions. They were enterprising and entertaining.
I think the pitch caught up with them in the 2nd half. Think our forwards started to exert a bit more grunt (P. A. F. - Bob). Some nice tries from us. Charles and Wilson especially.
Thought Bayliss looked really useful. Good engine on him, good pace and looks strong too. Think we've got a player developing there. Miles Reid looked up for it.
I don't like Allinson. At all.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/01/2018 10:50 by Danchinho.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 10:50
Have to agee with Opti's view on this. There seems to be an expectation on here that the only result that is a good result is the one where Bath not only win but do so scoring superb running tries from the backs and without falling of a single tackle.

The biggest critics of the present side need to decide if the want if they want a performance over a result. The side that produces the performance and result are rare. I suspect that even if Bath produced Sarries like success they would be ripped apart on here for boring rugby.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 10:54
I don't know if rugby is different from every other sport on that planet, Shipwrecked but I couldn't disagree more. Good performances will lead to good results. Bad performances will lead to bad results. There's always an element of luck in sports and things can go against you. But if you play the game in an effective manner, probability is going to side with you sooner or later.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 11:12
Quote:
Bathovalballer
I must have got it wrong but thought I read somewhere, might just have been on this site, Homer was leaving. Great shame IMO and must have been a much better prospect than Allinson.

The Chronic speculated that if we get Chudley then one other will be off and as Allinson is contracted to next season they assume Will Homer will not be given a new contract. At the moment this is speculation and not written in stone.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 11:21
Quote:
Danchinho
I don't know if rugby is different from every other sport on that planet, Shipwrecked but I couldn't disagree more. Good performances will lead to good results. Bad performances will lead to bad results. There's always an element of luck in sports and things can go against you. But if you play the game in an effective manner, probability is going to side with you sooner or later.
for most rugby fans there's a difference between "a good performance" and "an effective performance". An effective performance is any one that wins you a match; a good one is generally a free flowing affair with tries galore and breaking the gainline at will; and is not always effective.
Exeter are very effective, Saracens of 3-6 years ago were very effective; they rarely get called good or pretty performances though (with often begrudged admiration for effectiveness). Wasps play good rugby, Newcastle play good rugby, Bath under Meehan played good rugby - their effectiveness were variable.

Just take Bath v Scarlets this season. Scarlets played good rugby both times, in Llanelli, Bath played effective rugby and won; at the Rec, Bath played ineffective rugby and got blown away.

RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/01/2018 11:22 by Which Tyler.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 11:28
Will someone recognise that Newc's first half performance was excellent, high pressure, hard running, changing angles and good off-loads all in poor conditions.

- but we contained it and went on to win.

Well done Bath. I'm with Opti.

by
by (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 11:52
Its another performance that papers over the cracks, like the Worcester away one, defensively we looked a shambles, compared to Newcastle. Theres no denying that we took our chances very well whereas Newcastle were extremely poor in their conversion rate, which ultimately led to the win. Even at the end of the game chasing the TBP, we had 3 or 4 chances where we just threw a hail Mary when we didn't need to and losing the ball.

Newcastle supporters could feel aggrieved but I'd also say that they feel proud with how their team reacted and rest assured that they were pretty damn unluckly to not go into the break 3 tries up.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 11:55
We didn't contain it imo, they fluffed each time. We weren't in defensive control for Christ's sake. Can't you just admit we were very lucky the score was 0-0 at half time and they faded in the 2nd half and Bath did a lot better? Including 3 very well taken tries.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 11:55
Nil-nil at half time doesn't suggest a defensive shambles, just the opposite.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 12:03
Of course if it was someone like Sarries people would be commenting on how winning when playing badly is the sign of a great team. We arenít a great team but itís interesting how views change team by team. We got a result yesterday and thatís about it.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 12:17
Quote:
Boldangrey
Nil-nil at half time doesn't suggest a defensive shambles, just the opposite.

No - it just shows how misleading the scorecard can be. I have never seen 2/3 what looked dead cert tries failing for such tenuous reasons.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 12:23
Both sides had fluffs. They were very slick and their speed in the first half was great but our defence did stand up and was counted. Sometimes fluffs are forced by good defence.

by
by (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 12:35
Quote:
BathMatt53
Of course if it was someone like Sarries people would be commenting on how winning when playing badly is the sign of a great team. We arenít a great team but itís interesting how views change team by team. We got a result yesterday and thatís about it.

I think you need to be winning most of the time to earn that.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 12:42
Quote:
by
Quote:
BathMatt53

Well in the AWC we have been winning whilst playing OK at best all year!

Bath Supporter Jack

28 January, 2018 12:52
Firstly,as ever (!), intriguing Annie d inciteful comment from Opti........which in my view is absolutely correct.

Secondly, I don't know exactly how many times they have done it, but every time I watch Exeter leading having scored three tries with 1 minute to go they seem to get the try bonus point.

Thirdly we have no idea what is planned for next season or indeed even the season after that in terms of recruitment. We are clearly beginning to develop some of our own players and the structure that Danny Grewcock put in 3 or 4 years ago seems to be producing some very good local players. Both Sam Nixon and Miles Reid are local along with Tom Dunn, Chris Cook and the travelled Freddie Burns.

As Mr CC says above there would be no point bring Will Homer (who by the way I have always been very keen on) back if he is going to be third place as he won't get to play. The third placed player is either very young with promise or a reliable squad player of say 30 plus, both not absorbing much salary cap.

I was at the game yesterday and I don't think contributors are recognising how difficult the conditions were. In fact I would level just one criticism of Freddie Burns and that was he was sending out passes as if it was a sunny day in April rather than a gloomy wet day in January.

My only concern, which all of the players, the coaches, the oppositions, BC and Tarquin will be fully aware of is our lack of penetration when we have the ball.......in fact one example yesterday we went back 30 yards in say 10 phases. The definition of madness is repeating the same thing time and time again and expecting a different outcome.

Here we need variety however I am afraid Allanson just is not going to provide it!!!!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 12:58
His pause before throwing means all the backs stop dead waiting for something to happen meaning that we are essentially giving ourselves back foot / static ball and it all goes downhill from there.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 13:36
Quote:
by
Quote:
BathMatt53

anyone would think we'd L14 : W8 this year, not W14 : L8 I mean, were obviously so bad it's a miracle that were not propping up the table and winless in the EPRC
Yes, we got lucky on a few occasions against Newcastle, but I'm sure they'd have scored a lot more tries if they hadn't kept finding themselves tackled for nonknown reasons - I'm sure they just kept tripping o their bootlaces, it can't possibly of be that Bath doing a good thing.

If you're determined to find the negative all the time, you'll find it, from every team and I'm every match, and be perpetually miserable and ever surprised that someone actually won a match.
Same goes for the determinedly positive - not that we have any of those here.
Most of us are capable of seeing that yes, Newcastle broke our line several times, and played well, but also that yes, we tackled them, forced errors and scored more points.

RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/01/2018 13:39 by Which Tyler.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 13:46
Did you really mean inciteful BSJ

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 13:56
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Both sides had fluffs. They were very slick and their speed in the first half was great but our defence did stand up and was counted. Sometimes fluffs are forced by good defence.

Absolutely!

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 16:02
I'm absolutely sure he did, gaz!

And by the way - has anyone bothered to mention that a 20-year old who came up through the Somerset age-groups made his debut? Played at full-back on a filthy night, against a form fly-half, and came through looking extremely accomplished. Set up the Charles try with a beautifully judged counter-attack, looked for the offload - sensibly delayed it - and then kept the move going. Maybe Bath are going to reap the benefit of Blackadder bringing Atkins along and introducing him at the right time?

There are some negatives around at the moment, but it's worth acknowledging when something positive happens!

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 16:30
He did well, but that's far from his debut - that would have been 18ish months ago

RAEBURN SHIELD

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 17:20
Has he started before?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 17:32
Yes. London Irish in AWC before Xmas. Think he may have started one game in 2016/17 season as well but canít find it?

[www.skysports.com]

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 17:34
Ah, vs Tigers.

[www.bathrugby.com]

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 17:40
Quote:
Optimist
I'm absolutely sure he did, gaz!
And by the way - has anyone bothered to mention that a 20-year old who came up through the Somerset age-groups made his debut? Played at full-back on a filthy night, against a form fly-half, and came through looking extremely accomplished. Set up the Charles try with a beautifully judged counter-attack, looked for the offload - sensibly delayed it - and then kept the move going. Maybe Bath are going to reap the benefit of Blackadder bringing Atkins along and introducing him at the right time?

There are some negatives around at the moment, but it's worth acknowledging when something positive happens!

Here, Here.

Keep it up, Opti!

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 18:01
Quote:
Optimist
Has he started before?
Yes, on debut, against Leicester in this same competition Nov 2016
Also against Bristol in the premiership Nov 2016
And against LIrish in the AWC Nov 2017

[rugby.statbunker.com]

Either way. Keep up the good work in pretending to seriously believe that we're not destined for the Championship next year

RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 18:51
I always felt we were going to win yesterday as there was no pressure on the team.

What amazed me most was we won without any semblance of an attacking plan. Just think how dangerous we could be if we employed a specialist attack coach.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 19:16
Quote:
BathMatt53
I think that BOB was referring to the Chron report which said that W Homer was going at the end of the season. If so it doesnít do us any good him having all this game time!

Iíve searched, but can find no Chron report saying that?

Stuart

Former ed.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 19:19
Quote:
TCM2007
Quote:
BathMatt53

Iíve searched, but can find no Chron report saying that?

I think CC had it right above. Itís in the contracts summary and also in the last Q&A but it sounds as if it could be Dan Evans speculation (whether informed or not we donít know how.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net