rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

AWC home semi-final
27 January, 2018 17:34
So, next week, we're away to the Ospreys , whilst Gloucester head up to Newcastle.
If we get a bonus point victory, then we also win the pool and earn a home SF.
If we win without a TBP, then Glos can overhaul us with a 5 pointer.
ETA: that's wrong, if we win, we get a home SF regardless of Glos, as we'll have won more matches

Ospreys are out of contention, whilst Newcastle are in a scrap with Leicester for a place in the SF (whilst Leicester are away to Wasps, who are not of contention).

We play our match the day before Glos v Newcastle, so have to put our marker down early.

That is all as it stands (assuming my understanding is correct).
So comes continue to treat this as a development competition, and see where we are if we happen to get a SF without really caring either way? Do we think our development team is good enough to win against an Ospreys side who are already out? Are they good enough to secure the TBP? Or do we bust a gut and look to get any form of silverware after a 10 year drought?

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2018 09:32 by Which Tyler.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

Re: AWC final round
27 January, 2018 17:44
Personally, I'd look to still reward today's boys with another run out, but maybe rest Charteris, who looked absolutely cream crackers out there, and swap a couple who were out-played by their bench replacements today.

Auterac, Charles, Knight
Douglas, Phillips
Mercer*, Bayliss, Grant

Green, Burns
Lewis, Wilson
Williams, Atkins, Wilson

VanVuuren, Vaughan, Nixon, Attwood/Britton, Reid
Allinson, Tapuai, Banahan

* If England let us, otherwise start Britton, with Phillips at 6

RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 27/01/2018 17:55 by Which Tyler.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 19:57
Rest Charteris and who's your captain, WT.

I would favour Grant who was my MoM today.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 20:01
Today there was a huddle after they scored and Charteris said nothing at all, it was Tapuai who spoke to the team for the whole time whilst they converted.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 20:49
Quote:
Boldangrey
Rest Charteris and who's your captain, WT.
I would favour Grant who was my MoM today.
Mercer, Grant or Burns

RAEBURN SHIELD

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 21:02
Mercer - great talker great leader, but will the others respect him because of his youth?

Burns - mercurial, not convinced his decisions would always be sound.

Grant - captained his side in NZ before coming to us. Wise old head. Mr reliable. My choice for AWC.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

27 January, 2018 22:55
Mercer has led England Under 20s but Grant would appear to have more experience and an older head making him the obvious choice. He was probably the pick of the Bath players today and Nixon's cameo shows promise for the future.

Don't know how many watched the Glaws v Ospreys game but the Os played really well and they had out a really young side. Guy Mercer was one of their older players. They played some good stuff in difficult condition and certainly matched Glaws and were better and faster in the running game in the first half. They have an excellent open side, very hard working hooker , reminded me of Cowan - Dickie, and an electric fast left winger in Howells. Scrum half and 10 showed very good touches. I personally don't think the score margin reflected the actual game

Whatever side we put out, we are going to gave to be on top form to beat them on Swansea. Our tackling has got to be stopping their off loading game, as like Scarletts, the love to play at pace. We cannot go to sleep or they will exploit any gaps with alacrity.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 08:06
Is Guy Mercer allowed to play against us? Surely he is still a contracted Bath player?

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 08:16
If we start as we did against Newcastle, which seems to be the norm now, we will get blown away by half time no matter who we select.

Bathovalballer

28 January, 2018 10:31
I have never really understood.who pays the salary of an on loan player. Also not sure in what circumstances a player on a parent club contract can be recalled, if any exist, to the loaning club. If able to recall such people, I thought GM might have been pulled back during our injury/unavailable player crisis.

by
by (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 11:37
Looked like Douglas took a knock yesterday and the way he limped off the field hinted it will be a long lay off, shame though as I thought he looked great.

This game was targeted by Attwood, Batty and Clark as their first game back from injury, Clark will almost certainly be needed on the 9th if JJ is away with England, and seeing Attwood back out there would be brilliant.

Be good to see Nixon and Reid get a bit more gametime also.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 11:37
It was my understanding that dual contract can Ben recalled, loan canít? Besides wouldnít the player have to be named in one of the sides awc squad?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 11:45
Quote:
BathMatt53
Is Guy Mercer allowed to play against us? Surely he is still a contracted Bath player?

Not sure Matt but he started the game well before being overshadowed by Wil Jones, the guy who got splatted by Halaf... the Glaws 15.

Despite being beaten Ospreys youngsters did OK, we should still win though, we are a bit too strong up front for them.

Barfboy
Barfboy (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 11:56
Assuming we did go through as pool winners, any idea who we'd likely face? That Glos team on Friday night looked strong, wouldn't fancy meeting them - even with home advantage.

Hopefully I didn't just jinx the home SF. We're very capable of c*cking it up at Ospreys.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 13:53
It can't be Glaws as they are in same pool as us

If we go through then it is on the basis of ranking of the four qualifiers

Quins looked most likely top seeds so they play the 4th seed, probably Northampton

Which will probably leave us with .......

...... Falcons!

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 13:59
Have just seen the final round of matches and very interestingly

Saints play Quins

Falcons play Glaws who will want to win in case we slip up against Ospreys

Tiggers play Wasps who are out of contention

So a lot of possible permutations

We really do need to focus on winning and a getting TBP to make it safe

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 14:02
Quin's and Bath/Glaws are the only really predictable results, pools 3&4 have 6 clubs between them who could go through, even Quin.s could miss out of they fail to take anything from their final match.

Of course, this being the AWC, there's also the massive unpredictability of team selection. Some will want to rest their starters, some will want them on the bench to prevent rust, and some will be playing them with annope of progressing, or using the AWC to groove tactics in a glorified training run.

ETA: @Gaz we just need to win, a TBP is irrelevant to us in terms of progression, or a home SF

RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/01/2018 14:04 by Which Tyler.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 16:38
You sure WT? What happens if we win but no TBP and Glaws get a 5 pointer?

Puts us on same points in the pool, isn't it then game points difference for top spot?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 16:43
Quote:
gaz59
Puts us on same points in the pool, isn't it then game points difference for top spot?

Don't think so Gaz, mentioned elsewhere but its the number of wins that counts!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 16:46
Quote:
gaz59

If two or more Clubs in the same pool end the pool stage equal on Match Points, then the order in which they have finished will be determined by:

i. the greater number of matches won by the Club and
ii. if the number of matches won is equal, the Club with the greater total number of tries scored and
iii. if the total number of tries scored is equal, the Club with the greater points difference (points scored for, less points scored against) and
iv. if the points difference is equal, the Club with the fewer number of red cards and
v. if the number of red cards is the same, the Tournament Organisers shall toss a coin.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

28 January, 2018 16:54
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
gaz59

Don't think so Gaz, mentioned elsewhere but its the number of wins that counts!
First post of this thread, and bolded. I'd thought it was tries scored when I wrote it, but ETAd a correction in when I realised

RAEBURN SHIELD

rainbow
rainbow (IP Logged)

29 January, 2018 10:15
Do not disregard the fact that it is a Welsh team away a seriously large banana skin awaits they will not want to concede anything at home to a visiting English! team.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

29 January, 2018 13:34
Quote:
rainbow
Do not disregard the fact that it is a Welsh team away a seriously large banana skin awaits they will not want to concede anything at home to a visiting English! team.

True, but the two visiting English teams they've met so far both whapped them.

Stuart

Former ed.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

29 January, 2018 13:55
This is a competition which lacks marketing. No match reports on bbc or many online newspapers and sponsors hard to find. The Welsh results compared with their European ones were pretty clear. They need to do a bit of 20/20 with it and try new laws to jazz it up. 12 each side and 4 quarters or something along those lines.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

29 January, 2018 18:15
Itís a space filling set of fixtures which is a development competition at best.

Until we make the final, when it will be prestigious trophy

Stuart

Former ed.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

29 January, 2018 18:34
If we have to play the games, which we do, I would rather be winning them than losing them.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

29 January, 2018 20:13
Losing is always a bad habit.

The United fixtures, the Sevens? Dreadful.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

30 January, 2018 10:43
[www.bathchronicle.co.uk] The Way Ahead, and How to Get There

Pulteney
Pulteney (IP Logged)

30 January, 2018 18:50
Seeing as the Saints v Quins match is on BT Sport on Friday does anyone know if our game can be watched on-line somehow/somewhere?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/01/2018 19:00 by Pulteney.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

30 January, 2018 19:56
Offy doesn't think so, but it might be on the betting sites?

RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

30 January, 2018 20:11
The betting site didnít live stream AWC last weekend sadly.

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 07:59
Quote:
TCM2007
Itís a space filling set of fixtures which is a development competition at best.
Until we make the final, when it will be prestigious trophy

Quite an accurate summary!

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 10:22
I'm ok with there being a hierarchy of competitions, for me:

HEC >= AP > AWC

That doesn't make the AWC worthless for me just because its in many senses "lesser". I guess the second tier European cup fits in between the AP and AWC, and winning that certainly doesn't make you champions of anything (greatest loser?), but despite that I don't see it as a waste of time. If I were coaching a team in Bath's position I might use it as a springboard win in order to get back into winning ways. I might think of the AWC similarly.

I think it just comes down to its fashionable to say the AWC is a waste of space. People repeating what they hear on tv or down the pub. I don't think it is actually the format, per se, more that people say it a a waste of time so don't invest the 30 seconds it takes to get their heads around the format.

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 11:06
I think the format is ok, as it gives all of the sides at least another 2 home games each season. The issue for me is how it is marketed both nationally and locally. I think it is a good chance for the fringe and academy players to get some exposure to big crowds etc. Given that Sky don't have any top flight domestic rugby, I am kinda surprised they have not picked this up and beefed up the TV coverage. Having said that scheduling the final group fixtures to coincide with the start of the 6 nations seems crass.
Can't find it on any broadcast sites at all, even tried S4C and they seem to favour all welsh under 21 games and their eponymous soap opera "pobol y cwm" on a friday night.

Bathovalballer

31 January, 2018 11:08
Fully agree Dan about this being a spring board for future success and confidence. Personally I believe we should be giving this much more priority now we have a real chance of getting to the final to the extent of playing some more of the front line players.

Other clubs certainly like Saints, Leicester and Exeter (their first top trophy) take it seriously and so should we. Plus as said before, winning becomes a habit as does losing.

BathOtter
BathOtter (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 11:30
Am I right in thinking it secures Europe qualification, or have I made that up? If so, incentive enough given our 6th or thereabouts likely season ending position

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 11:37
You made that up.

You are maybe thinking if the Chalkenge Cup?

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 11:43
Just on our 'great efforts' in the AW Cup - we have won three games, lost none and yet somehow we have scored fewer tries than we've conceded.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 11:45
I don't see much point in qualifying for Europe until we can comfortably challenge for this sort of trophy, and the AP to be honest.

Winning it would be only a small step in the right direction but, as long as we appreciate it for what it is, it would be in the right direction.

Never In Doubt
Never In Doubt (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 11:47
Qualification from the Champions Cup website are as follows:

Nineteen clubs will qualify automatically for the 2018/19 Champions Cup in the following ways :

ē Guinness PRO14 (7): The three highest ranked clubs from each conference. The fourth-ranked clubs from each conference will play off for the seventh place. (NB South African clubs are not eligible.)

ē TOP 14 (6): The six highest-ranked clubs based on their final finishing positions.

ē Aviva Premiership (6): The six highest-ranked clubs based on their final finishing positions.

However BT Sport did refer to the AW as leading to automatic qualification so it is a bit weird.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 12:01
The AWC is a real conundrum.

You always play to win, but how do you play to win without putting out your strongest team?

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 12:34
I think for the pool stages at least, you define a squad that you aim to win you games with. That squad would be your second choices and developing players, with allowances for returning players.

Yes, you aim to win, but with in the context of that framework. That's no real different from the united league. If you take the play to win idea to its extreme you load that with 1st team players. Obviously, no one does that, but you define your target squad and play to win* within that context.

*I guess united may/should also have other goals.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 12:55
The interesting part is when team get through the the playoffs. Wasn't it Sarries who said that they would use the players who had got them there? I like the idea but its brave for those of us who, unlike Sarries, haven't had any sort of trophy for 'a while'.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 16:28
Given that the Chiefs game is 5 days after the AWC final we could do without making the final

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 16:46
Depends who we have back by 23rd March. If we have Rhys, Attwood, Ellis, Clark, Roko, TF, Louw then we can put out two pretty strong teams.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 16:49
"Given that the Chiefs game is 5 days after the AWC final we could do without making the final"

Assuming nothing dramatically changes between now and then I can't see how it would matter much.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 17:15
Quote:
OutsideBath
Given that the Chiefs game is 5 days after the AWC final we could do without making the final

Absolutely right OB, the thought of Bath winning silverware is utterly repulsive. confused smiley(Sm9)(Sm55)

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 17:44
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
OutsideBath

Absolutely right OB, the thought of Bath winning silverware is utterly repulsive. confused smiley(Sm9)(Sm55)

Don't you think that a 5 day turnaround is going to make it extremely difficult to get anything out of the Chiefs game?

Is the AWC "silverware" really that important?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 18:08
Its not silver, its an old bean tin. Not Heinz either.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 18:39
some great news on the injury front:

- Ross Batty is fit and available for the first time this season.
- Charlie Ewels has recovered from his hamstring tear
- Max Lahiff is fit again after a calf strain.
- Levi Douglas limped off against Newcastle Falcons but he is available

Hooper said Tom Ellis is not far from a return after rupturing an ACL last May while training with England.

Chris Cook wonít be available for selection this Friday but should be in the mix when the Premiership resumes against Northampton Saints; having missed out the last two weeks with an ankle problem.

Beno Obano is recovering well from his patella tendon injury and should also feature in Februaryís Premiership block, as could Max Clark who is recovering from a bone bruise in his knee.

Dave Attwood has suffered no ill effects of training in recent weeks, following his long absence with a knee cartilage issue.

Happy days!

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 18:47
A win against exe, at best, will buy is the chance to get humped in a pay off. I'd rather have the silverware.

There's a chance that our fortunes could dramatically change:

For the worse, and we're playing for a place in a HEC we're clearly not ready for.

For the better, and it would be worth considering our selection.

But most likely the game against exe will be pretty irrelevant.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 19:55
Batty, Ewels, Lahiff, Obano, Douglas, Ellis, Attwood.

All returning from injury, all eligible for the AWC!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 20:13
Saints with their 13 full Internationals humping the Quins academy (albeit with some injury returnees). 34mins and 1% of that in the Saints 22. This competition is a bit silly.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 22:10
Years back, England decided to give one of its HEC places to the winners of the AWC (assuming an English side won!), but that lapsed I think when the Euro competition reorganised into the Champions Cup.
I've not heard that it's come back in, which isn't to say that's not the case.

As for the strength of the Saints side, we desperately need to gel under Gaffney and it's a prime opportunity to do so.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 22:22
Saints did no wrong, there is no rule, but there have been some huge mismatches and I think they could do with some broad guidelines on selections tbh.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 22:36
It's absolutely worthwhile having rules about quality etc in meaningful competitions. As this isn't one, eh, who cares?

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 22:46
So, from this point, itís actually the Anglo Cup. I think we should do what has to be done to win the semi-final and then revert to future-oriented selection for (hopefully) final. If we lose final so be it, but better to have 2 games from which things can be learned than one.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 22:49
Different teams have different priorities.
For some, they need to find some form, and groove some plays before important games. Others want to grab a trophy that's there for the taking. Others want to get the academy some game time in front of a crowd measure in thousands, not hundreds. Whilst others just need to give their stars a couple of weeks R&R.

All of those approaches are perfectly valid, and a large part of why it's the 3rd priority tournie for all clubs.

RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 22:51
Whatever view you take, you should be consistent and not drop the squad which has got you so far in favour of their ďbettersĒ.

Stuart

Former ed.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 22:54
Disagree Stu. Get us in the final. Iíd rather, for example, give 3 youngsters a semi-final and 3 more a final, than 6 get a losing semi.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 23:28
If it were a ďproperĒ competition I might agree, but itís not. Letís not pretend otherwise.

Stuart

Former ed.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 23:40
Mickey mouse it may be, but I would actually quite like us to win it (Iím quite surprised about that).

Devonport Boy
Devonport Boy (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 00:18
If Quins, Tigers, Chiefs and Sarries think itís worth winning, Iíve got no problem at all with us making a serious effort to stick our name on it this season. After all, weíve won this trophy in all its various iterations more times than anybody else. And it might just be the catalyst for greater things to come.
It was cold in Swansea tonight.....

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 08:17
Quote:
BathMatt53
Mickey mouse it may be, but I would actually quite like us to win it (Iím quite surprised about that).

Well said. It would be nice to win, but nicer to win it close to the 'development' spirit.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 09:12
In terms of giving youngsters valuable game time the competition has already served its purpose. Atkins, Green, Read, Britton, Douglas will have benefited. Hooper too will have learned a lot, as will Todd. The purpose it can now serve is to get some smiles on everyoneís faces by winning it. I have no problem with the club rebalancing the side a little.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 09:28
Keep the youngsters in the team for the semi, makes no difference to the club's standing if we win it.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 09:31
I've got no problem at all with taking it seriously if you find yourself into knock-out rugby.
I wouldn't go full-on first XV, but the youngster who've shone in the first 4 rounds, and the ring-rusty seniors should get priority, but sprinkled with enough stardust to make a genuine effort at winning, especially with a home semi-final.
Of course, any seniors who would benefit more from a rest than a match should be rested too, but a good 1/3 of the XV should be first choice, 1/3 returnees and 1/3 newbies/academy IMO. Quite honestly though, we've got enough injury returnees in need of game time to make them the core of the team.

Maybe something like
Noguero, Batty, Thomas
Ewels, Phillips
Ellis, Bayliss, Grant(8)

Green, Burns
Clark, Hurrell
Williams, Vuna, Atkins(15)

Walker/Charles, Auterac, Nixon, Britton, Reid
Allinson, Lewis, Homer

RAEBURN SHIELD

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

Re: AWC home semi-final
03 February, 2018 10:10
Thatís the ideal way of looking at it WT - only leave out players who would definitely benefit from the rest. Then select from whatís left with a view to winning it.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 10:36
Nixon, Carles and Auterac changed the game midway through the second half, wouldn't you start them?

miller8
miller8 (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 11:11
The competition is a competition whether it's proper or not what ever the @#$%& that means. I suspect all those players running out in BB&W last night and last week see it's value on their personal development paths. 13,500 people last week saw its value, BT Sport sees its value, all the pubs and restaurants in the city centre saw its value.. Silly attitude...

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 11:17
Quote:
shipwrecked
Nixon, Carles and Auterac changed the game midway through the second half, wouldn't you start them?
Noguero has greater need of getting used or Bath's play than Auterac
Batty has more need to knock off the rust than Charles
Thomas is proving fitness, and more useful for the rest of this season than Nixon.

Not that I'd be opposed to starting them, just putting together a team that mixes kids with the rusty and enough strength to target a win rather than hope for one (though it would depend on how seriously our opponents take the match, but should be able to at least compete against anyone who's absent their internationals)

RAEBURN SHIELD

Bathovalballer

03 February, 2018 11:19
We need to win SOMETHING and very soon. I don't care if its only touch rugby for men, lets really give it a lash and go for the win. Give us all something to celebrate after many barren seasons. It shows ambition and hopefully will provide a springboard and confidence for the future.

Most Prem sides over the years have loaded their AWC knock out stages sides to give them the best chance and that is what we should do.

Frankly this gives us more chance of success for this season than a decent league finish as I truly cannot see us winning more than 2/3 league games on present form. Can you guys?

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 11:26
I think there should be a developmental aspiration, non-binding guidelines only to ensure injury returnees also get some game time. After all, we didnít have many options in selection last week thanks to our chronic injury list so had no choice but to play some seniors.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 11:52
3 is probably not far off bob with away games at Sarries and Glos, with Home against Exe amongst those remaining.

Newcastle and Quins away are tough to call IMO, we are more than capable of winning them IF we perform and we should have a few important players back by then anyway.

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 13:33
Winning leads to winning while losing leads to,,,,,

Westwardbound
Westwardbound (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 13:50
Quote:
shipwrecked

Auterac started the game.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 13:52
BoB I agree winning any trophy will be great for team morale, we have to win it first.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 14:04
Quote:
Westwardbound
Quote:
shipwrecked

It was the combination that worked but yes your right, thanks for your updates yesterday by the way.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 14:34
So if Iím right (may have been mentioned but couldnít see it) I should be cheering on Gloucester, Wasps and Sarries as that would leave the semi finalists as Us, Saints, Quins and Irish. Saints have found some form but still beatable.

Westwardbound
Westwardbound (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 14:46
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Westwardbound
Quote:
shipwrecked

It was the combination that worked but yes your right, thanks for your updates yesterday by the way.

No problem. Always difficult to draw any conclusions when youíre watching the game live from a single perspective, but my thought is that from the kick off for the second half we seemed to be more physical, more on the front front, and more confident in possession than we were in the first half. The later replacements did make an impact, but my impression was that the momentum was with us by then.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 15:07
Just another example of our mental fragility and throwing away the game at the end then...oh, hold on.

Exeter thumping Sarries. Newcastle making it uncomfortable for Glos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2018 15:20 by BathMatt53.

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 16:57
We are home to??? Anyone?

MESSAGES->author
Chris Hoddle (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 16:59
I recon its
Bath vs Saints
and likely
Exeter vs Newcastle

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 17:12
If itís Saints theyíll be going hard to retrieve something from their season. Have to match them.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 17:28
Odds on they will put out a strong side again as they did yesterday which means we should expect us to match it I would guess.

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 17:32
Without being too critical of this competition it's worth looking at where the Welsh teams are going to end up and the apparent effort they made to succeed in it.
All 4 will end up bottom of their respective tables and in negative points difference.
Does that tell us something?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 17:35
Sarries didnít care either to be fair. Horses for courses, I guess.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 17:57
Quote:
johnnyf
Without being too critical of this competition it's worth looking at where the Welsh teams are going to end up and the apparent effort they made to succeed in it.
All 4 will end up bottom of their respective tables and in negative points difference.
Does that tell us something?

I think it just points out how little strength in depth they have. When you look past Ospreys first XV all you are left with is youth. Not necessarily a bad thing though!

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 20:06
Exeter made the semi finals? Oh well, there goes our shot at a trophy. They'll fill their side with first teamers and 1-yard-out us to death

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 21:02
Quote:
Optimist
If itís Saints theyíll be going hard to retrieve something from their season. Have to match them.

If I understand it correctly we play L Irish at home in the s/f...

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 21:05
Quote:
Clarkey3k
Quote:
Optimist

Lol, I'd check again

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 21:12
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
Clarkey3k
Quote:
Optimist

Lol, I'd check again
so would I if I were you. There's still a match to play, and one of the teams could yet make it and change everything. As it stands though, Saints are 4 the seeds, and will be visiting us, whilst Exeter are 2nd seeds, with a home SF against Newcastle.
If Leicester win AND score 12 tries, they'll take Newcastle's place.
If they win and score 13+ tries, they'll host Exeter. Either way, well still host Northampton

RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2018 21:18 by Which Tyler.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 21:14
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
Clarkey3k
Quote:
Optimist

Lol, I'd check again

Just did, see the Prem Rugby site AWC tables, Bath win Pool 1 with 17pts, Irish win Pool 4 with 12pts....

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 21:21
Quote:
Clarkey3k
Just did, see the Prem Rugby site AWC tables, Bath win Pool 1 with 17pts, Irish win Pool 4 with 12pts....
that's not what the Prem rugby AWC table says.
You're right that Irish have 12 points in pool4, which puts the! 2nd behind Newcastle with 15, and potentially 3rd behind Leicester who can end with 10, 11, 12, 14 or 15

RAEBURN SHIELD

Bathovalballer

03 February, 2018 21:51
I will wager BO that Exeter play a smattering of their development players with some older heads. They really do look upon this competition being for those coming through and for senior squad players not regularly getting first team games. The thing is some of their younger players are really quite special and illustrates the strength in depth of their squad. Wish it was so at Bath!

They started with Dolman, Maunder and Devoto (injury returnees), probable leavers Horstman, Waldrom and Salvi, new players, van der Sluys and Cordero (and he looks very special), first choice squad players Low, Holmes, Atkins, Joe Simmonds and Townsend. The rest were very talented youngsters especially O' Docherty who won MotM. Another special one is Tom Sawday who is a.wrecking ball of a back row.

Sarries fielded Skelton, Tompkins, Figarollo, Barrington, Longbottom and Lozowski from the bench, all past or near internationals. They also had the very talented Malins at 10 and Whiteley at 9 with a monster loosehead in Thompson-Stringer.

Very entertaining game, Exeter often scoring from close range. You might call it boring but it is very effective, with even Devoto getting in on the act with a charge from about 10 yards out carrying 3/4 Sarries with him. The two wingers, Docherty and Cordero were both elusive and skillful, the latter is a current Argentinian International and you can see why. Salvi and Van de Sluys got through a mountain of work up front and Townsend looked the better of their two class scrum halves.

It was the now typical Exeter running/carrying with the ball from deep, even 10 yards from their own line, excellent support work of the ball carrier, numerous phases and dominance of the breakdown with fast and furious clearouts, something we never seem to do regrettably! They never stop running for the 80 minutes and deliberately kept on playing well after the 80 minutes were up. Fitness levels we would struggle to demonstrate and match. Watching them and then compared to us, the retained possession phase plays alone, shows how much ground we have to make up. The support play and running for each other is exceptional as well.

I don't care if it is copying, but we would be a much better side if we could emulate some of these attributes and attitudes.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 22:33
You probably need a cigarette after that?

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 09:03
TLDR Was it something about how the Devonian supermen are all carved out of granite, never take a backward step and have elevated the game of rugby to an artistic masterpiece?

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2018 09:25 by Toast and Marmite.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 09:24
Bound to say I would have preferred to watch the 6N on TV rather than travel to watch two 'development' teams.

Shows real devotion and a desire to keep us all informed.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 10:02
Quote:
Which Tyler
Quote:
Clarkey3k
that's not what the Prem rugby AWC table says.
You're right that Irish have 12 points in pool4, which puts the! 2nd behind Newcastle with 15, and potentially 3rd behind Leicester who can end with 10, 11, 12, 14 or 15

Well spotted Sir; I didn't spot there were still pool games to be played. Should've gone to Specsavers....

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 15:44
Exeter, Northampton & Newcastle on 15 points, Bath on 17.
Leicester finish on 10.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net