rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

MESSAGES->author
Griff (IP Logged)

Haskwit anyone!
31 January, 2018 10:11
Leaving Pests (Sm105)

"You're going to need a bigger boat"

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

Re: Haskwit anyone!
31 January, 2018 10:14
I actually think that, particularly at club level, he's a very effective player. That being said, it's not an area we need to sign.

by
by (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 10:29
Yeah he wouldn't be a bad signing, would go well at Bristol.

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 10:29
Has he become just too expensive to employ?

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 10:37
For the right price, I could see him going well at Leicester.
He's still a pretty effective Prem operator; and a step up on their current flanker options. He could hold the fort there for a year or two whilst they overhaul the pack; and then move to USA to be a star in MLR.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 10:42
No thanks. I could see him going to France or Japan, cash etc

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 10:45
Other priorities.

robhumperson
Humpo (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 10:51
I'm sure they know what they're doing, but losing Guy Thompson and Haskell is a big dent!

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 10:53
A Moody type signing at this stage. With the WC coming up and his media work, I can't see it as an option. Only if he is going to go into coaching, but the media seems the way for him.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 11:02
Definitely no thanks. He may offer experience and can still be effective but he is 33 this April and probably has only a season or two at Prem level to offer. Also he would not come cheap.

He also comes across to many as a touch arrogant and full of self importance. Probably the media is where he will end up but can see him going to somewhere like Bristol or IMO more likely London Irish to help bolster their pack and help with coaching etc., even if they get relegated. He could well prolong his career in the Championship and I also think he probably wants to be closer to London for his media work.

I believe we have better options in the back row and as others have said, we have other priorities.

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 11:07
OMG, I agree with BOB for once, what is this site coming to?.......

Bathovalballer

31 January, 2018 11:10
Hopefully it is not too painful Nick.....

Bathovalballer

31 January, 2018 11:21
Also wonder if Wasps have a really big name signing lined up? Don't think they would let someone like Thompson and then Haskell go without someone else in the frame. Losing H would surely loosen up a big chunk of salary cap as I am positive he is one of their top earners.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 11:40
Weren't we lamenting Wasps signing a few big names a while back? Isn't this the price they pay? One would guess they see him nit unlike Banners as well?

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 11:49
Rumours I have heard are that he is actually a very good squad guy and popular tourist, despite his public image of self regard.

He wants to continue in the Prem, not France because he is after more England caps.

For us though, I agree we are sorted in that area - assuming Louw, Faletau, Ellis recover.

PG

P G Tips

Paul Grant: my adopted Player, 2017-18.

MESSAGES->author
Robbinho (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 11:50
Wasps have got Brad Shields coming in from Wellington/Hurricanes, have they not?

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 11:53
Ask why he is leaving. Is it because, like Banners, a new contract will take him past his prime and not worth top dollar?

Bathovalballer

31 January, 2018 11:53
Missed that Robbinho and don't know much about Brad Shields. Will look him up.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 11:57
I think the Banners comparison is very apt. In a salary cap world we'll probably see more of this.

RugbyMarvel
RugbyMarvel (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 12:44
Shame that Haskell is struggling to find a new side. Think he has a lot to offer but understand that might not be the case with the gameplan Wasps want to follow. I do think though that some of the work he does for the side will be hard to replicate, Haskell is a selfless workhorse, but maybe not quite as effective as Dai Young wants him to be around the park. I put some thoughts here:

[rugbymarvel.wordpress.com]

Gussieboy
Gussieboy (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 12:45
From what iíve seen of him his form has been just south of average this season and I suspect he has had his day and besides, not a position we need - so no thanks.

Bathovalballer

31 January, 2018 14:51
His form seems to have dipped this season and in the two games I have seen him start live, he has been replaced although not obviously injured. Probably he struggles to play the fast offloading game which Wasps have appeared to play often this season.

With the drop in Prem form, I was very surprised to see him in the England squad. Or was it because EJ had few experienced options with all the back row injuries?

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

31 January, 2018 17:59
Brad Shields is EQP aND so instanly available to Eddie. Big stink in NZ cos he'd given up hope of AB call up hence move to Wasps. Then Hansen offered him place on the last tour - which he turned down! You'd think that Shields and England have had some conversations...

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/01/2018 18:01 by joethefanatic.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 22:04
He's done the rounds in the past - had a spell in Japan, etc.
Good player, but he and I have history as some will recall - he was one of the rudest England players in Bath when they were based here back along - but no doubt he has grown up since then. (Sm147)

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

Bathovalballer

03 February, 2018 22:09
I hoped this thread had died a death along with the dreadful idea of Mr H joining us, even to just fold the towels at Farleigh Spa!

Please let it die and quickly.

Bath Supporter Jack

04 February, 2018 10:26
I have received an email saying he is looking for funding to set up a gym group with the first units in Richmond and Bath!

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 10:30
(Sm6)

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 12:19
Only if he comes cheap. Which he won't. So no.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 12:28
Reported in Nov, then he got permission in Dec.

[www.bathchronicle.co.uk]

miller8
miller8 (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 12:50
It is true he is setting up a gym in Bath

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net