rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: Attwood to Toulon on loan
03 March, 2018 16:05
Fair enough, for some reason I had it in my head that he had come back for a game or two and then was off (stop start). My bad.

Notwithstanding this it’s good to see him stringing a few together.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

03 March, 2018 16:30
Looks like he played the whole match as well.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

03 March, 2018 22:34
If he comes back to us he’s almost bound to have picked up an injury playing this much. If he’s useful to Toulon he could have been equally useful to us. I’m still baffles as to how he wangled this.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

03 March, 2018 23:19
Thing is though he is still playing with an injury, you just can't see it because its a mental one...

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 08:15
Quote:
Shipwrecked
Thing is though he is still playing with an injury, you just can't see it because its a mental one...

How on earth could you know that ? Ridiculous thing to write down regardless of whether it’s true or not.

Shorty Shorty iiv
Shorty Shorty iiv (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 08:21
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:
Shipwrecked

How on earth could you know that ? Ridiculous thing to write down regardless of whether it’s true or not.

We don’t know his mental state granted, but it is very common for sports men and women to suffer from some sort of mental illness whilst injured. If he and the club feel a ‘change of scene’ can help him as a player and foremost a person then this is a move to be respected not damned.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 08:33
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:
Shipwrecked

Attwood and the club have said his problems are in the mind.

You obviously know more about mental issues.

by
by (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 09:50
As reported in the chronicle article, if we kept him in Bath we might not have been able to afford to bring in Hurrell, Vuna or Wilson for the remainder of the season.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 10:02
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:
Shipwrecked

I know that BG because Dave Atwood himself said it in his twitter statement and he has had the problem for a while.

From Dave Atwood's twitter account:

"The mental side of injury is a very significant burden on a player and particularly for me with this injury.
I have seen false summits I have seen false summits a few weeks down the road for 16 months."

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 13:30
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:
Shipwrecked

I know that BG because Dave Atwood himself said it in his twitter statement and he has had the problem for a while.

From Dave Atwood's twitter account:

"The mental side of injury is a very significant burden on a player and particularly for me with this injury.
I have seen false summits I have seen false summits a few weeks down the road for 16 months."

Not you SW.

When someone has the courage to admit something like that it deserves respect dot a bunch of numb skulls accusing him of lying and making excuses.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 13:48
I realised that BnG, I'm really pleased he is playing regularly rugby can be very 'one way' for the players so nice to see him getting something back..even though they lost.

MESSAGES->author
roywalker (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 18:09
[www.theguardian.com]

Worth a look.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 18:32
Good article, glad he is doing well and getting refreshed to boot.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 21:03
Thanks Roy, good stuff!

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 21:06
BoB still doesn't think he'll be back.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 21:12
Do you honestly believe he will BnGrey? Why would he want to, rejoining a club going backwards? No he will either stay on France or go to another Prem club.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 21:13
If he is back, fit and firing Attwood, Ewells, Stooke, Douglas are a pretty reasonable second row group IMO (and Charteris assuming he is contracted another year?).

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 21:24
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Do you honestly believe he will BnGrey? Why would he want to, rejoining a club going backwards? No he will either stay on France or go to another Prem club.

Read the article and you will see it was the club's idea for him to go to help him get over the psychological problems that you persistently refuse to acknowledge.

Toulon chairman has also acknowledged he will be back at Bath.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 21:29
Toulon don't hold on to players once they are surplus to requirements!

Bathovalballer

05 March, 2018 22:49
After Sunday again showed we desperately need big Dave's muscle and power in Bath colours and he is plying his trade in Toulon. Lucky them.

I sincerely hope he returns to where the need is greatest back in Bath but just cannot see it happening. I hope I am wrong but regrettably believe I am not. Why should he come back to a miserable mess which is Bath Rugby and upset any psychological good he might gain from his rehabilitation in the South of France.? Just doesn't make any sense and especially as he feels he cannot help his team mates out, which if the team collective was better, would IMO be as good as any motivational sojourn a team player would need over the warmth of Toulon.

Whether there is any milleage in the story Oi read about we couldn't keep him because of over spending the salary cap, if true just shows how amateurish the running of our club is when even the most junior employee could be expected to be able to use a calculator and add up a column of salary figures. The whole saga is beyond the comprehension of an adult thinking person.

Hope you get better Dave and hope you make a full recovery both mentally and physically. Please come back, your club needs you ( if you truly consider Bath to be your club!)

benjbath
benjbath (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 00:52
BOB you are truly one of the most miserable people I have ever come across. I guess the complexity of the human mind has evaded you as you plough the same dreary furrow with your comparatively simple mind each week. This man has been at the club for years, praises it at every opportunity and has taken the chance to speed up his recovery process. He deserves what ever help he can get to overcome the mental turmoil he's faced for over a year. Surely you can praise Bath in some capacity for acknowledging that instead of tarring the whole club with your unfounded cynicism. How can a mutual decision possibly be chastised by someone who knows nothing about the intricacies of the situation and who's only joy is derived from the repeated use of an emphatic, cynical exclamation mark?
Why don't you lay off the personal sh&t and acknowledge that, mid-injury crisis we may not be quite as good as we'd like. Further to that, other teams will also be trying their best to disrupt us and will be equally gutted to lose. Get off your high horse with slagging off the team and their slippers and provide some sort of vaguely rational support, please. It does get tiresome.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 08:36
He might come back because he has a contract to honour.

Bathovalballer

06 March, 2018 09:31
If you read what I have written benjbath you will note I have praised certain individuals and when things go well and the players deserve approbation. However, I am not nor do others condone or want to continue to see the club we have supported over many years lurch from one disaster to another. All supporters want to see the club do well and enough time has elapsed, especially with the financial backing of Bruce, to put things right and to expect to see some steady consistent improvement. Regrettably none has been forthcoming for at least 2/3 seasons. That is why very many fans express their frustrations and probably this forum is one of the best places to do so, or there could be a much more forthright responses. Eg people chanting 'x' out or banners appearing in the crowd. Most rugby supporters vote quietly with their feet but it could become different.
And of course the support will drift away at a time when the club needs it more than ever when about to embark upon building the new stadium which will cement the club's future. I want to be able to take my grandchildren to watch the team I have supported over the years playing top class rugby, not anything less.

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 10:49
I'm with BoB on this one. If I were in the team, even whilst acknowledging his 'mental turmoil', I couldn't help but feel let down by him disappearing to France in my hour of need.
The club has been continually leaking stalwarts for years, and I can't help thinking Atters will be following Banners out of the door sooner rather than later. Just please not to Glaws as well.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 10:53
The article also points out it the clubs saw it as an opportunity to free up cap.

So who has let the players down?

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 11:02
1. Every week they let each other down on the pitch but Attwood is letting his team mates down by not being on the pitch.
2. The coaches with their lack of attack.
3. The management with their poor player recruitment and retention.
4. The management again for having in place a full coaching team, particularly not replacing Matson.

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 11:14
Quote:
jayeatman
1. Every week they let each other down on the pitch but Attwood is letting his team mates down by not being on the pitch.

Ignoring 2,3 and 4 because they are not relevant to the thread.

Really surprised at this comment, have you read the article above?

What you are saying is that you would rather have him play for Bath now even though he isn't mentally ready. It implies you see him as an expendable asset? Is that really what you think?

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 11:23
Maybe I've missed something but he appears mentally ready to play for Toulon?

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 11:23
I'm talking about the perception here. The fact is he isn't there for me (the player). There may be very good reasons for that, but it won't stop me feeling let down. Or stop me from wondering that if he does return next season, will he be 100% committed then?

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 11:34
Quote:
DanWiley

Exactly, he's mentally ready to play for Toulon, but not for Bath..

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 11:59
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
DanWiley

Exactly, he's mentally ready to play for Toulon, but not for Bath..

He was unfit to play for Bath on 2 levels, mentally and physically.

He is now fit physically, to become fit mentally he needed a break, a new environment, a refresher...So he is playing for Toulon.

It's not me saying this its the club and Dave Atwood. You could of course read the article above that 'roywalker' posted.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 12:27
IF that's true it says something pretty bad about Bath. I don't think I buy it though, it seems more likely that he just wanted to go to Toulon for: money, sun, whatever.

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 13:27
I accept there's something in his head stopping him playing for Bath, but what exactly?
What is so terrible about Bath that is absent in Toulon?
And how is it that whatever it is will miraculously vanish over the summer?

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 13:39
Quote:
jayeatman
I accept there's something in his head stopping him playing for Bath, but what exactly?

You need to reverse the question, what does Toulon have that Bath doesn't, see below, Im thinking it must be the aircraft carrier:

Toulon (French pronunciation: ​[tu.lɔ̃]; Provençal: Tolon (classical norm), Touloun (Mistralian norm), pronounced [tuˈlun]) is a city in southern France and a large military harbour on the Mediterranean coast, with a major French naval base. Located in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region, Toulon is the capital of the Var department.

The Commune of Toulon has a population of 165,514 people (2009), making it the fifteenth-largest city in France. It is the centre of an urban area with 559,421 inhabitants (2008), the ninth largest in France.[1] Toulon is the third-largest French city on the Mediterranean coast after Marseille and Nice.

Toulon is an important centre for naval construction, fishing, wine making, and the manufacture of aeronautical equipment, armaments, maps, paper, tobacco, printing, shoes, and electronic equipment.

The military port of Toulon is the major naval centre on France's Mediterranean coast, home of the French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle and her battle group. The French Mediterranean Fleet is based in Toulon.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 13:52
Quote:
jayeatman
It's mental health - reasons that seem sily to outsiders can be utterly debilitating to the sufferer.
So how about the pressure of expectation from home fans?
How about the location of all his exhausting and prolonged rehab?

Have you ever heard the expression "a change is a good as a break"?

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 13:52
Quote:
DanWiley
IF that's true it says something pretty bad about Bath. I don't think I buy it though, it seems more likely that he just wanted to go to Toulon for: money, sun, whatever.

Quote:
jayeatman

I've not had a mental illness but I don't think it is either of those things, it's not about him not wanting to play for Bath and to suggest he went to Toulon for sun and money seems somewhat callous.

I can see that going to a totally new environment that has no connection to the time spent recovering from the injury, the treatment room, training ground etc is a sensible way to lay down healthy experiences that would rebuild both his game and self confidence.

Anything positive said would be genuine confidence reinforcers rather than platitudes from mates.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 14:26
"Have you ever heard the expression "a change is a good as a break"?"

Have you ever tried saying that to someone with a mental health problem? If it is that serious then I can't see him coming back. If it isn't that serious then its because a nice opportunity came up from him.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 16:18
It might be that difficult situation has arisen in Bath and he really needs to NOT be in Bath while he processes what events may or may not have taken place.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

MESSAGES->author
roywalker (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 18:33
What an utterly strange thing to get cross about. I felt the article spoke volumes about the things we’d been questioning before. You can be as fit as a fiddle but if your head isn’t right it can debilitate you beyond comprehension. Here is a man who is desperate to play for Bath but the guilt he feels, rightly or wrongly, from being on the treatment slab; being paid to be injured; being paid to rehab; false dawns where he thinks he’s ok to play but then breaks down again. It must be incredibly frustrating and it’s got into his head that he’s letting us all down. The club have sought an opportunity for him to play some rugby and rid the shackles of guilt that he feels. He can play in a new environment, learn a new language and so on. We get his lucrative deal off the cap, he gets his head correct and then we regroup next season.

I really think as Bath fans we should be rallying around to make sure he’s well rather than making him out to be a mercenary for the money and sunshine. Mental illness still has a big stigma. Dave may be able to lift a huge amount of physical weight in the gym but carrying this mental weight on his shoulders has dragged him down.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 19:11
Well said Roy!

PG

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 19:12
Quote:
DanWiley
"Have you ever heard the expression "a change is a good as a break"?"
Have you ever tried saying that to someone with a mental health problem? If it is that serious then I can't see him coming back. If it isn't that serious then its because a nice opportunity came up from him.
Yes - I've said it to me - it worked (to a degree), and is part of the reason that I am still alive.
At one stage, I needed to get away from where I was; where pretty-much everything around me was a trigger. "To" really didn't matter at all; "From" was all important.
FTR: I came back; I returned to university and spent a further 3 years completing my degree; I returned to my parents' home; I have even returned to Bristol (though I still avoid the Fishponds area) - maybe mine wasn't serious enough for you though.

Seeing as you asked - I have suffered mental illness for approximately 35 of my 42 years on this planet; I also work with people suffering mental illness most days at work.

But yeah, I'm sure your (and several posters') repeated posts missing the issue entirely and minimising things massively; have a much better insight.
I have no idea what is going on inside Daves mind; but I have read enough to believe that he has mental health issues; and I fully support the idea that he (felt he) needed to get away from his existing surroundings.

ETA: Actually, it may not include you; I've lost so much respect for so many posters over the last month or so I really haven't wanted to keep track.
ETA2: Scratch that - I've just re-read the post I replied to; there's a reason it riled me.

RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2018 19:45 by Which Tyler.

ghost
ghost (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 19:28
And with those last two excellent posts from roywalker and which tyler maybe it's time, mods, to close this thread on which several posters seem to have been wilfully, even maliciously, missing the point?

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 20:57
Well said Roy, WT and ghost.

The nastiness and belittling of someone who’s opened up on very personal reasons and is ONE OF OUR PLAYERS to boot) is frankly staggering.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 21:16
Well said Roy, and thanks for being so open about your own experiences WT. They may not be exactly the same as Attwood's but hopefully your post will offer some insight into why mental health can be so important for the few that seem to be missing the emotional intelligence required to figure it out for themselves.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 21:24
Some of the comments here have been crass.

I am a PTSD sufferer. You cannot imagine how debilitating mental health can be.

MESSAGES->author
roywalker (IP Logged)

10 March, 2018 00:41
Boldangrey, WT, I empathise; it can be so hard to complete the simplest task when that poorly. And, PG, Bathburger, Rawce and Ghost, thank you for the understanding and kind words. I truly think if we can help Dave by offering this minimal solution, whether he comes back as a bath player or not, so long as he is well in the future, it’s a good thing.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

10 March, 2018 12:18
Mmmm...Dave Atwood not in the Toulon side against Agen nor on the bench!!!

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

11 March, 2018 17:31
SW

Perhaps 3 games in a row after best part of 15 months out requires a rest for game 4?

PG

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

11 March, 2018 17:40
Quote:
P G Tips
SW
Perhaps 3 games in a row after best part of 15 months out requires a rest for game 4?

PG

Nah I expect he was on the beach, drinking martinis and sun bathing. Can't see anything saying he is injured so let's hope for the best.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

11 March, 2018 21:37
Could it be rotation, a luxury we don't hear of.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

17 March, 2018 18:40
Atwood not selected again to start or on the bench.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 March, 2018 18:45
Wasn’t he MoM for one of the games he played? Or did I dream that...

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

17 March, 2018 18:47
Quote:
BathMatt53
Wasn’t he MoM for one of the games he played? Or did I dream that...

That was probably a wind up from me!!!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 March, 2018 18:58
Ah, naughty BnG

Bathovalballer

17 March, 2018 19:08
Well lets hope the rest is proving to be the tonic he needs. We desperately need him on the field fighting fit and firing on all cylinders.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

17 March, 2018 20:39
Quote:
BathMatt53
Ah, naughty BnG

Although I did hear he'd scored three tries in every match he'd played so far.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

17 March, 2018 22:38
I can cast some light on this mystery,

First the bad news: Dave Atwood is injured, (see image below)

And now the good, it cant be too bad as Toulon have registered him to play against Munster in the Champions Cup on March 31st.

https://image.ibb.co/gcTM5H/rctoulon.jpg

Bathovalballer

18 March, 2018 08:38
That is good news shipwreck as it proves he must have played well enough to be in contention for that Munster game.

Just wish it was here at Bath.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

18 March, 2018 09:57
I'm not to sure about that, it might be that it is just prudent to have second row injury cover for that game.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

25 March, 2018 14:32
Dave Atwood has obviously recovered from the injury whatever it was. He starts for the match against Clermont today.

Bet that game will be a belter!

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

25 March, 2018 17:07
Playing well. Just made a hell of a run beating four defenders on the way. Has looked rusty in the lineout however. Still that hasn't affected the scoreline much!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

25 March, 2018 17:28
Stroll in the the park 49-0, 7 tries!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

25 March, 2018 17:31
Attwood played the full 80 again then - good news.

Crazy try scoring charts in that league, top 5 being:

Chris Ashton, Toulon: 21!
Nemani Nadolo, Montpellier: 15!
Alexi Balès, La Rochelle: 6
Benjamin Botica, Oyonnax: 5
Thomas Ramos, Toulouse: 5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/03/2018 17:35 by BathMatt53.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

25 March, 2018 21:26
The reason for Atwood's omission from recent games was a shoulder injury, clearly all better now!

Bathovalballer

26 March, 2018 07:56
And how we miss him!!! A fit Dave Attwood would give us a much greater chance of beating Leicester, Gloucester and Irish and making top 6.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

26 March, 2018 08:02
As would a fit Watson, Roko and Flouw...but we won’t have them either so no point dwelling.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

26 March, 2018 23:01
Quote:
BathBurger
Playing well. Just made a hell of a run beating four defenders on the way. Has looked rusty in the lineout however. Still that hasn't affected the scoreline much!

Fabien Galthié agrees, his comments on the game against Clermont:

He does not fail to mention the very good return of the second row Dave Attwood who was injured in the shoulder last weekend. Extract:

"The first half was remarkable with a solid conquest. We had the return of Dave Attwood. Dave Attwood is something!"

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

27 March, 2018 00:04
I have no problem with him going to Toulon, on the condition that he tears up trees next season for Bath. He owes the club that much. It's really sad seeing him make an impact at Toulon.

Then again maybe it just shows how good our players can be with proper coaching and strategy.

Bathovalballer

27 March, 2018 02:01
Bruce, please tell your French mates to keep their hands off Big Dave.

You know Dave wants to come back to a struggling team going nowhere, lacking basic skills and leadership and miss out on top flight European Cup rugby played in the winter wet at Bath. And of course he must be missing the Spa facilities and other perks. Or is he?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

27 March, 2018 07:31
Quote:
ballsout
I have no problem with him going to Toulon, on the condition that he tears up trees next season for Bath. He owes the club that much. It's really sad seeing him make an impact at Toulon.
Then again maybe it just shows how good our players can be with proper coaching and strategy.

I'm pretty sure he will BO, tear up trees that is. Not quite sure why you are sad though, if you are happy for him to be there then I would have thought you would be pessimistic if he was failing.

Has to be good if he is mentally refreshed and physically fit, do we really think he would be where he is now if he had stayed in Bath?

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

27 March, 2018 08:10
Toulon have announced the players who are departing and Dave is one of them and they say he is returning to Bath.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Bathovalballer

27 March, 2018 10:57
Thank you for that Coochie Coo. One of the best bits of news we have had in sometime. Wish the club put that out on the website. Don't suppose there is any chance him coming back this week for the cup final?

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

27 March, 2018 11:05
It's a loan until the end of the season

MESSAGES->author
Robbinho (IP Logged)

27 March, 2018 11:27
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Thank you for that Coochie Coo. One of the best bits of news we have had in sometime. Wish the club put that out on the website. Don't suppose there is any chance him coming back this week for the cup final?

Bath, Toulon and Atwood himself have said that all along. It’s the second line of the original announcement on 2 Feb.

‘Bath Rugby can confirm that Dave Attwood will join Toulon on loan until the end of the season.

Attwood – who is now fit to play after a lengthy injury lay-off – will link up with the French side next week, before returning to Bath for pre-season ahead of the 2018/19 season.’

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/03/2018 11:30 by Robbinho.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

27 March, 2018 11:51
BoB, why are you so surprised Dave Atwood himself did make it clear, dated 2nd Feb.

I actually find that image quite ironic, at a time when he was planning his recovery the battery on his phone top right, is at just 2%

https://image.ibb.co/cU1mLS/DA_tweet.png

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

28 March, 2018 15:52
Dave Atwoods thoughts on a Champions Cup quarter final.

https://image.ibb.co/cq2G77/DA_v_Munster.png

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

28 March, 2018 15:56
I don't begrudge DA any of this. He looked all set for a long international career 3 years ago and that boat looks to have sailed. Let's hope he can start next season for us with a real bang.... like a brand new signing.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

28 March, 2018 15:56
Quote:
shipwrecked
Dave Atwoods thoughts on a Champions Cup quarter final.
https://image.ibb.co/cq2G77/DA_v_Munster.png

So has he been named in the team against Munster then? Would be a bit awkward if he hasn't!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

28 March, 2018 16:58
Well they have gone to the trouble of registering him and he is fit so it would be a big surprise if he wasn't.

He is front page on the Toulon site R C Toulon Site

I've included the google translation below:

DAVE ATTWOOD: "IT'S LIKE A DREAM"

The second international English line, which quickly made a place in the XV Toulon, was in pre-match press conference Munster / Toulon Tuesday afternoon. The opportunity for him to talk about all the progress made in recent weeks.

Dave, how are you on the physical plane? After your first games in Red and Black, you missed it ...

Yes my shoulder was painful these last weeks but against Clermont it was. I did not feel pain. My knee is fine. When I arrived here he was well looked after so everything is fine now.

You are going to play a very high level match against Munster. How do you approach it?

I look forward ! I played two, three times against Munster but not in a match as important as that. It is a team of very high level and Toulon is a team of very high level too. CTN plays European playoff games every year and I can not wait to be one.

You live an extraordinary adventure! You were not playing in Bath and you're going to play a European quarterfinal with Toulon. How do you live all this?

I wanted to seize the opportunity that was given me to come to Toulon. I was not playing at Bath, there was a very strong competition at my post too. I remember that at Christmas, I hoped that my coming to Toulon could be done. In three days it's done, it was almost strange but it's great. And here I am with the opportunity to play a quarter-final Champions Cup and it's like a dream! Here I found my place, the integration was easy in a sense because there are many great players. It's a very big team and I feel good about it.

Bathovalballer

28 March, 2018 18:53
Unless I am reading the translation from shipwrecked wrong, Dave talks about going to Toulon at Christmas. Assuming that is true, although he was not fit to play, this move was planned at least a month or more before it was announced. So in effect, even when regaining his fitness, he had no intention of playing for Bath as he knew he would be off to Toulon.

And he talks about the strong competition at Bath. I disagree with that especially, as he is our strongest and most experienced second row, he would in normal circumstances be considered the number one starting choice. So is he saying that Bath had sufficient cover to allow him to go?

I am glad he appears to have returned to full fitness and is injury free, but the fact that his chance to play in a Euro Champions Cup quarter final has come to him because the club let him recoup in France, is very nice for him. But what about Bath as we could really do with him now? You could say, him not being here and playing for us has weakened the team and his presence may have helped ensure our top 6 finish and Euro Champs cup for us next season.

To me a number of things don't quite add up. But I repeat, I am very glad to read he has returned to full fitness and is playing well.

MESSAGES->author
Robbinho (IP Logged)

28 March, 2018 19:16
while you’re glad to hear that, you obviously didn’t read any of the original details about his move! It wasn’t just the physical recover it was also about the mental recover why DA said he found difficult while in Bath - this was part of the decision. And yeah, it probably was discussed more than a month before it was announced, that would make lots of sense that it was planned.

Honestly, if you’d just read maybe the clubs statement, or Attwood’s, or heaven forefend both, you’d have saved yourself an awful lot of bother these past two months.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

28 March, 2018 20:06
Given his match fitness.

Would he have been a better choice than Ewels and Stooke?

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

28 March, 2018 20:25
Quote:
Robbinho
while you’re glad to hear that, you obviously didn’t read any of the original details about his move! It wasn’t just the physical recover it was also about the mental recover why DA said he found difficult while in Bath - this was part of the decision. And yeah, it probably was discussed more than a month before it was announced, that would make lots of sense that it was planned.
Honestly, if you’d just read maybe the clubs statement, or Attwood’s, or heaven forefend both, you’d have saved yourself an awful lot of bother these past two months.
or anything written in this forum

RAEBURN SHIELD

Woodster
Woodster (IP Logged)

28 March, 2018 20:34
A couple of thoughts occurred to me?

What happens if early next season DA gets an injury and is out again for 3 months or more, how will he feel?

I still struggle to fully understand the Toulon move (although it's absolutely fine by me) and I did wonder if he had a major problem/fallout with someone at the club and that someone wouldn't be here next season, hence the loan until next season move?

That sounds very conspiracy theory but like I said, it had just been going through my mind.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

29 March, 2018 07:36
I'm pretty sure there was nothing in any of the statements saying he'd fallen out with anyone.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

29 March, 2018 12:03
He needed a change, we needed to free up cap to bring in desperately needed cover in other positions. It's an area where we have lots of options (admittedly, most if not all, I'd say are behind DA at his best) for cover and relatively few injuries (compared to pretty much every other position). It made sense for all parties.

That some deliberately chose to ignore all this and repeat their "I can't understand why, there must be a problem, there has to be" is simply a sly attack on DA, the club, mental health in general or all of the above.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

29 March, 2018 13:09
I don't want to prolong this, but, I question whether there is more to this than that, lots of people said "No, Ronseal (it does exactly what it says on the tin), he'll be back". I'm happy to wait and see. We'll leave that at that.

But it does seem to me and a couple of others that this isn't run of the mill. I don't think that people saying that should be accused of being obtuse or sly. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if there's more to this, so it feels valid to comment on without attacking DA or the club and certainly not mental health in general.

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

29 March, 2018 13:37
I agree with BoB and DW.
It certainly isn't run of the mill, in fact is there a precedent for such a move at all? Anyone think of an example?

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

29 March, 2018 13:40
Are you quoting someone Dan? It's hard to understand the full meaning of what you are saying?

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

29 March, 2018 13:46
I don't think there was injury or mental problems involved, but is it similar to OB1?

Which bit are you asking about shipwrecked? I'm not really quoting anyone, just plenty on here have said "nothing to see here" and I'm ok with that, i said my bit and we'll wait and see.

I was commenting on:

"That some deliberately chose to ignore all this and repeat their "I can't understand why, there must be a problem, there has to be" is simply a sly attack on DA, the club, mental health in general or all of the above."

and I don't think that is the case. I think its fair to say there might be more going on here without casting nasturtiums. Worst case, SUPPOSE DA had fallen out without someone and wants to leave, fair enough, it happens. But it would certainly be worth talking about.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

29 March, 2018 14:02
OK, I get that, personally I don't think there is anything going on with DA, but I do think that being on the treatment table and hearing the bickering between players, coaches and management that we have heard of might have made his decision easier.

I do think the club have taken advantage of the situation and used BC's French connections to get him off the books and give him a break at the same time.

I hope Toulon win on Sat, I'm not sure but if Toulon went on to win the CC even if he didn't play in the semi an/or Final would he still get a CC medal?

If so getting DA back next season with CC medal, a clear head and 100% fitness would be like signing a new player!

Bathovalballer

29 March, 2018 15:28
Sincerely hope so shipwrecked. We are going to need him at his absolute best, physically and mentally, to help us start the season with a bang.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

31 March, 2018 09:41
Dave Atwood playing at 5, he was at 4 v Clermont, I wonder why the change?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

31 March, 2018 09:51
Got fed up trying to lift him in the lineout? Either that or Juandré Kruger isn't hefty enough at 110kgs to be a ballast 5 and Romain Taofifénua (at 130kgs) is so he has moved to get that balance?

Shadders
Shadders (IP Logged)

31 March, 2018 16:00
Great break by Atters at end of first half.

MESSAGES->author
roywalker (IP Logged)

31 March, 2018 16:35
Keep watching Attwood in this game and thinking, “Cor, wish we had a player like this!” Smashing through people. Can’t wait until he’s back with us!

Ian E
Ian E (IP Logged)

31 March, 2018 18:03
Thought the same - he had a good game against good opposition.

Bathovalballer

31 March, 2018 19:26
He looked like the class, ball carrying, ball winning second row who really is taking it to the Irish, that we desperately need. Stooke and him would I am positive stop our pack being pushed around and probably get on top of the opposition.

But hey ho, the money men and the bump feelers believe he is best off in Toulon. Well lets hope he does return and gives the team and his teammates the lift we the paying supporters are looking for. I have to admit being skeptical especially as we now are most likely to miss out on the lucrative Champions Cup. If the story about over spending the cap is true, our so called management who have trouble using a calculator should be sacked. I find that tale to be incredulously incompetent if true and there is no excuse for them to hang on to their jobs.

As said, before, this disastrous season has been on Tarquin's watch, especially the accounting and management decisions, and he must/should be held to account.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/03/2018 19:38 by Bathovalballer.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

31 March, 2018 19:30
Didn't look great in the lineout today but was a monster in the loose. Does anyone else watch him thinking they can see where the injuries come from though? Several big collisions in the game, must take their tole on a chronic knee problem.

AndyMGlos
Lebowski (IP Logged)

01 April, 2018 11:11
I’d be interested to know who on here works for an organisation that responds to an employee struggling with mental health issues by sending them to work in a similar environment with the same pressures but without the support of friends etc? Champions Cup 1/4 final at Thomond Park - just relax and enjoy it, no pressure!

Sorry but only one explanation makes sense and it’s pretty damned obvious to most outside Bath. I remember talking to Dave when he was suspended for stamping on a Fenchman’s head and missed out on the LV cup final. He was pretty dejected but dealt with it - didn’t strike me as remotely mentally fragile.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net