rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

wilshd
wilshd (IP Logged)

Re: Club statement on Atters
07 February, 2018 19:06
Haha coochie coo - you are adamant that the club and "senior player" would never lie. Get real!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2018 19:10 by wilshd.

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 19:40
Quote:
wilshd
Haha coochie coo - you are adamant that the club and "senior player" would never lie. Get real!
Do let me know when you plan to tell Atwood to his face that he is a liar. I'd very much like to watch.

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

wilshd
wilshd (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 19:54
Don't plan on making the trip down to Toulon anytime this season or the next so not sure when I'll have a chance?! winking smiley

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 21:07
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
woodpecker
So the announcer is a bit of a tool, do we want:
a) No announcer, perhaps we could have a church bell tolling, a wind blowing, and some tumbleweed blowing across the rec...

b) A different announcer who is less of a tool, suggestions welcome, what about that killer whale that can speak?

Or c) The same announcer but with a different script!

Whatever happened to John Snagge?

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 21:55
Quote:
wilshd
Don't plan on making the trip down to Toulon anytime this season or the next so not sure when I'll have a chance?! winking smiley

You can do it when he gets back! (Sm22)

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 22:27
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Quote:
wilshd

You can do it when he gets back! (Sm22)

thumbs down

wilshd
wilshd (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 22:50
😂

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 08:38
Quote:
wilshd

Calm down people

I don't think anybody is telling lies, just flexible with the truth(Sm100)

Let's just wait and time will tell(Sm128)

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 11:06
Just watched the game again and interesting interview by Todd beforehand. Dave A has issues off the field not related to rugby to sort out apparently. Didnít allude to what they were obviously.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 11:57
I missed that bit of interview Matt where was it?

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 13:02
I caught that too. Obviously serious enough. Best of luck to all involved.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 14:41
Quote:
Bathovalballer
I missed that bit of interview Matt where was it?

Before the game, about 10 mins into the program I think?

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 18:17
Blackadder's comments on Atters from BT Sport

[youtu.be]

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Bathovalballer

10 February, 2018 22:32
Thanks guys, just taken a look at the interview.

Wonder what the problem is but wish him and those concerned with him well. Hope things can be worked out, as we do need his playing abilities.

An announcement along Todd's comments would have generated much more understanding than much of the drivel put out by the club which evoked bewilderment and disbelief among very many people.

Get well soon big man..

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 09:21
As the leading purveyor of Ďdrivelí on this site BoB that is a post of staggering hypocrisy. What about a simple apology for your numerous accusations that Attwood and the club are lying? And nor does Blackadderís statement give any real extra insight over and above the clubís statements, or any right to speculate as to what the actual nature of Ďa few things going on that arenít rugby-relatedí might be.

Devonport Boy
Devonport Boy (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 09:32
Thereís an interview in todayís Rugby Paper in which Dave talks in a bit more depth about the issues that heís struggling with on the road to recovery. But thatís the point - itís Dave himself who has chosen to speak publicly about this and that is something that we should respect. Very best wishes Dave - come back fit and raring to go.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 09:51
Quote:
BathOvalBaller
An announcement along Todd's comments would have generated much more understanding than much of the drivel put out by the club which evoked bewilderment and disbelief among very many people

+1

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 10:06
Quote:
Optimist
As the leading purveyor of Ďdrivelí on this site BoB that is a post of staggering hypocrisy. What about a simple apology for your numerous accusations that Attwood and the club are lying? And nor does Blackadderís statement give any real extra insight over and above the clubís statements, or any right to speculate as to what the actual nature of Ďa few things going on that arenít rugby-relatedí might be.

+1 what TB said was emphasising what the Club said and DA himself said. Clearly the original statements were not drivel but relayed there was more to the decision than rugby matters.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 10:43
Spot the difference:

DA, 2 Feb: ĎI have now returned to full physical fitness and am hooping to return to the field as soon as possible but due to various stresses and struggles this hasnít been possibleí

TB, 10 Feb: Ďa few things going on that arenít rugby-relatedí

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 10:46
Big Dave starts for Toulon today. Will be interesting to see how he goes.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 10:56
I think he is probably relieved he doesn't have to be accountable to BoB, good luck to him!

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 10:58
Yes, good luck Dave, hope he enjoys his rugby and finishes the game in good shape.

Bathovalballer

17 February, 2018 11:29
I agree B4thB4ck I sincerely hope he enjoys the game and more importantly finishes it in one piece.

But we really could have done with Atters typical physicality last night don't you think?

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 11:46
BoB, from what we can gather Attwood's absence should be regarded as a player continuing to recover from an injury, in whatever form. In effect the player you want to see is not available yet. We would certainly benefit from him once he is 100%, but he isn't regardless of the reasons.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 12:20
Quote:
Optimist
Big Dave starts for Toulon today. Will be interesting to see how he goes.

At least he'll have a chance of winning and will certainly enjoy more than being in the north of England last night.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 18:17
Toulon beat Stade 43-5.

Attwood played the full 80 and scored 3 tries.

(OK, I admit the last bit is a BoB windup.....)

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 18:30
I read that he punched their entire front row unprovoked and then persuaded the ref to award the penalty to Toulon #BoBsh1t

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 18:34
....played in his Gucci loafers as well!

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 18:41
Spent half time in the sauna.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 18:43
Played 66 mins by the looks.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 20:17
Toulon only won because Ewels was playing for Stade.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 21:12
Excellent news for big Dave that he played 66 minutes in a crushing Toulon win. Thatís as positive as I can get given how desperately we need him given last nights debacle.

Bathovalballer

17 February, 2018 21:28
Quite Beergoggles! Any chance we can transfer him back to Bath and the sinking ship? Tell you what they can have Ewells and Garvey in return!

Sounds good allround to me. Garvey can act as 'captain' as well even if he doesn't speak French! His communication to player and referee alike appears mute in England anyway. Ewells can walk around the dock area in Toulon and he might learn to fight to survive or not.....

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 21:39
BoB canít be real. Is it some sort social experiment? Am I actually in Ďthe bad placeí?

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 21:45
"Toulon only won because Ewels was playing for Stade"

What kind of statement is that - A 22 year old yes 22 Year old Lock/Back Row and future Captain - Oh yes an England International.

He is of course useless, think people need to have a long hard look at things - Charlie Ewels is the lifeblood of Bath - Injury permitting a future star and potentially world star, at least the coaches can see it.

There are some players who need to have look at themselves but Charlie Ewels is not one of them.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 21:51
(I think that it may have been irony / a joke)

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 22:13
Quote:
BathMatt53
(I think that it may have been irony / a joke)

Thank you Matt. Thought it was too obvious for am emoji.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 22:19
If he carries on playing like that they will probably make us an offer we canít refuse & as we know from the Banahan debacle money talks. He is also going to suddenly like being there a whole lot more (Sm31)

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 22:45
Quote:
Bathovalballer
......Garvey can act as 'captain' as well even if he doesn't speak French! His communication to player and referee alike appears mute in England anyway. Ewells can walk around the dock area in Toulon and he might learn to fight to survive or not.....

BoB this is a clear breach of our rules is insulting and abusive. These guys come out every week and risk injury on our behalf. Your comment on Ewells is unacceptable.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 22:53
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Garvey can act as 'captain' as well even if he doesn't speak French! His communication to player and referee alike appears mute in England anyway. Ewells can walk around the dock area in Toulon and he might learn to fight to survive or not.....

Thanks CC, If that isn't "posting to illicit a comment..." You are going too far!

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 23:01
It's a yellow card for BoB. This board can censor posters before they post like other media operators but we choose to trust our posters to be sensible, but downright insults and abuse of players is unacceptable and that is what keeps posters away.

Please discuss our issues rationally and constructively criticise the players but wanting players to be hurt is unacceptable.

Bathovalballer

17 February, 2018 23:36
Nearly as bad as being told to foxtrot Oscar (3 times in he last 24 hours) don't you think CC? Obviously not!

Giving an opinion on a player's contribution is not allowed then? How do we criticise or are we not allowed to? I can assure you many who sit around me and other long term supporters I know (and ex players of my acquaintance) have much more shall we say colourful language about the situation and play of certain individuals. Most are fed up with the continuing season after season of underperformance and no apparent improvement or even learning from previous weaknesses plus lack of very basic skills.

Part of any player's performance is the expectation of showing aggression and apart from Stooke, Dunn and occasionally Lahiff, we don't bristle like sides like Sarries and Sale do throughout the team.

Some of the criticism given out by many on this board about Todd is as acerbic if not more than insulting than anything I have written. Double standards me thinks!

Don't tell me we are not allowed to comment on the dross being served up and everything in the garden is rosy. That is part of the problem it appears to me. No one at the club, until Todd's statement this weekend, have been prepared to say it as it is and which all can see. Until some him truths are put out there, nothing will improve because everyone is still patting themselves on the back and blaming poor results on everything apart from the b awful play of the only people who can put it right, the players themselves.

I am in Todd's camp and backing him to the hilt. I hope he has the gumption to tell some of his charges exactly what he feels and doesn't mince his words. Unless he does, we will drift into more of a stupor than we are already. No doubt this is wrong as well.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 23:44
BoB to say a player needs to go a dock "to learn how to fight to survive or not" is not double standards and certainly not criticism, it is unacceptable language on a civilised board and you need to apologise and retract.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/02/2018 23:45 by CoochieCoo.

Bathovalballer

17 February, 2018 23:51
It was said partly in jest (as he needs to toughen up) but obviously it was taken out of context and I apologise for any offence.

I will not hold my breath for apologies to be told to F Off by some on this board for just expressing my opinions. Double standards. I think so!

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 00:02
BoB we are all very disappointed with our disjointed season. Regretfully your style after a loss does not endear you to others who probably see the debacle in different ways. Yes there is a rule not to abuse other posters but in my view your in jest comment that a player may not survive a Toulon dock visit was beyond the pale for this board. You appear to be a thick skinned person and have taken a fair amount of stick in the past especially when we lose because that is when you are at you are most verbose. Try and be rational in your criticism and picking on certain players or coaches is in my view not rational in a team game.

Bathovalballer

18 February, 2018 02:25
If you bother to read my 'verbose' comments, I do not criticise the coaches! Others may do, I don't because I am sure they do their level best to instill skills and good habits into their charges who then have the responsibility of producing the same on the field of play.

The players take and receive the plaudits when things are going well so are fair game when they do not or they are underperforming and certainly when they never seem to learn or correct their ways. I only want the best for Bath Rugby and that obviously includes a winning team.

So shall I F Off and let the appeasers and rose tinted brigade continue to spread their Bath is beautiful and everything is swimmingly good?

Again I suggest some of the whingers on here who cannot countenance criticism of the players should talk to many of the long term supporters I know who similarly express the view of bewilderment at how poor Bath are and how much longer their expensive support of the club is going to be taken for granted without any obvious hope of improvement or winning something.

People on this board may deride the AW Cup but I sincerely hope we put out our best available team as it is our only hope of gaining some tangible trophy, which, like other clubs, have lent to bigger and greater things. Winning is a habit which can be transferred into confidence and self belief. I have just bought 4 extra tickets for friends and family for the Saints game, as I really do want Bath to win something-anything!!!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 06:54
Quote:
Bathovalballer

The players take and receive the plaudits when things are going well so are fair game when they do not or they are underperforming and certainly when they never seem to learn or correct their ways. I only want the best for Bath Rugby and that obviously includes a winning team.
So shall I F Off and let the appeasers and rose tinted brigade continue to spread their Bath is beautiful and everything is swimmingly good?

!!!

You still donít seem to understand the difference between the criticism of the Bath game (say by BO) which is a valid, lack of possession based, technical argument and the straight out personal insults that you vomit out... former = fine, latter = not fine.

I have challenged you twice to point out ANYONE who has posted something since Friday night who says that everything is Ďswimmingly goodí. You have not been able to back this up and yet you peddle the same argument. Itís just in your head.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 07:30
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Bathovalballer

!!!

You still donít seem to understand the difference between the criticism of the Bath game (say by BO) which is a valid, lack of possession based, technical argument and the straight out personal insults that you vomit out... former = fine, latter = not fine.

I have challenged you twice to point out ANYONE who has posted something since Friday night who says that everything is Ďswimmingly goodí. You have not been able to back this up and yet you peddle the same argument. Itís just in your head.

+ 1 To imply that most of just accept everything is fine & dandy is utter rubbish. However, there are limits beyond which most supporters would not go & the Toulon post was a clear example. It also seems illogical to me that players are ďfair gameĒ & coaches are not.You throw all your venomous criticism at the players & give the coaches an easy ride whereas this is a team game for which success comes from the whole club working & progressing together, not just those at the sharp end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/02/2018 07:32 by Bath Hammer.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 07:45
Quote:
Bathovalballer
If you bother to read my 'verbose' comments, I do not criticise the coaches! Others may do, I don't because I am sure they do their level best to instill skills and good habits into their charges who then have the responsibility of producing the same on the field of play.

Again I suggest some of the whingers on here who cannot countenance criticism of the players should talk to many of the long term supporters I know who similarly express the view of bewilderment at how poor Bath are and how much longer their expensive support of the club is going to be taken for granted without any obvious hope of improvement or winning something.

People on this board may deride the AW Cup but I sincerely hope we put out our best available team as it is our only hope of gaining some tangible trophy, which, like other clubs, have lent to bigger and greater things. Winning is a habit which can be transferred into confidence and self belief. I have just bought 4 extra tickets for friends and family for the Saints game, as I really do want Bath to win something-anything!!!

BoB you spectacularly miss the point. Our rules are fair criticism of players and coaches is fine. Insults and abuse is not fine. As an example I stated you have crossed the line with your Toulon comment above. Just stop insulting our players when you write.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 08:15
This may help?

- criticism: the expression of disapproval of someone or something on the basis of perceived faults or mistakes.

- Insult: speak to or treat with disrespect or scornful abuse.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 15:09
Quote:
BathMatt53
BoB canít be real. Is it some sort social experiment? Am I actually in Ďthe bad placeí?

Holy mother forking shirt balls.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 15:55
Quote:
hasta
Quote:
BathMatt53

Holy mother forking shirt balls.

Good pick up Hasta!

wilshd
wilshd (IP Logged)

27 May, 2018 08:20
This has aged well.

Bathovalballer

27 May, 2018 09:11
Before someone writes on here telling me to F off again ( with impunity from the moderators it seems ), does anyone think Big Dave who is going to be very difficult to replace, is coming back? Living and playing rugby in a very lovely part of the world such as Provence, one of my favourite parts of the world, is like manna from heaven to any person and as long as he can sort his family out, makes sense to me for him to decide to stay.

What is there for him in Bath? He has forgotten his team mates it seems and has thankfully for him found his mojo and is enjoying playing the game again. Even if he is forced to see out his contract, is his heart is going to be in it? It was obvious to many people we lacked his power and muscle last season, especially after watching Sarries yesterday do a physical job on Exeter, and how vital that is if we are going to compete with the very best sides.

There are not many locks of DA's attributes out there and with his experience, Etzebeth possibly being the best I can think of at the moment. Lets hope our recruitment guy is out in South Africa with Bruce's open cheque in his hand!

I now await the usual abuse and probable ban for questioning a players word and motives.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 May, 2018 09:22
He IS in Bath at the moment BoB as his time at Toulon has finished. Three reasons to stay: 1) kids at school etc. 2) because he said that he would. 3) because Bath said that he would. Yes I think that if he stays he would give it his all because itís in his interest to do so and he is a professional.

BUT only time will tell and nobody who knows what is really the situation would post it on a board i would imagine.

(Why would anyone abuse you for voicing your opinions in a sensible way?)

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

27 May, 2018 09:30
'There are not many locks of DA's attributes out there ...'

So why does Eddie Jones consistently ignore him for England. He seems to like your favourite Ewells!

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

27 May, 2018 09:32
Quote:
BathMatt53
He IS in Bath at the moment BoB as his time at Toulon has finished. Three reasons to stay: 1) kids at school etc. 2) because he said that he would. 3) because Bath said that he would. Yes I think that if he stays he would give it his all because itís in his interest to do so and he is a professional.
BUT only time will tell and nobody who knows what is really the situation would post it on a board i would imagine.

(Why would anyone abuse you for voicing your opinions in a sensible way?)

+ 1

miller8
miller8 (IP Logged)

27 May, 2018 10:30
and he has a property development business here, similar to Flo's BUT probably non of these are stong enough reasons not to leave your home city for a couple of years for work, especially in Rugby given his age it's for a defined and manageable period. I trust Atwood to make the right decision for him and his family and not Bath season ticket holders...

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

27 May, 2018 10:35
I think there's a strong chance he won't play for us next season, but that's always been my position.

I'm less worried about losing him as a player as such, he's a good player, but players are replaceable and you never know we could get an itoje, but even another stooke would mean I'm but that upset. As good as he's been in France, he wasn't doing that for us. That's more my concern, it feels like an air of Mike catt about it. Inconsistence, often injured, goes to Irish and all that falls away.

Barnetsarrie12
Barnetsarrie12 (IP Logged)

27 May, 2018 10:43
You could get an Itoje?

Is there another one Dan or do you mean someone of that caliber as you won't be getting the one who plays for Saracens.

As for Attwood, he is a very good player who I really like but If Stooke continues to develop and Ewels is already a good player, I don't think the loss will be massive for Bath as some on here think it will be. Stooke is a decent player, Ewels also and as much as I like Attwood, his size is what makes him stand out, it is not as if you will be replacing a world class lock, you won't.

DownSouth
DownSouth (IP Logged)

27 May, 2018 10:50
Quote:
Barnetsarrie12

As for Attwood, he is a very good player who I really like but If Stooke continues to develop and Ewels is already a good player, I don't think the loss will be massive for Bath as some on here think it will be. Stooke is a decent player, Ewels also and as much as I like Attwood, his size is what makes him stand out, it is not as if you will be replacing a world class lock, you won't.

+1

DownSouth
DownSouth (IP Logged)

27 May, 2018 11:11
Having just watched the latest Chiefs game, Iíd (yet again) take Retallick in a heartbeat after WC19.

Nearly a stone heavier than Etzebeth too, and yet very mobile.

Barnetsarrie12

27 May, 2018 11:29
Brodie Retallick is a much better lock than Etzebeth. I can't see him coming to the prem as if he leaves NZ, I think he will go to Japan or France where he will earn way more.

I just think people have to get out of this one lock or one player will save us mentality, Etzebeth, Retallick, Itoje whoever it is, one player is not going to come in and rescue the club and win you the league imo, none of those players joining to me makes you better than chiefs, let alone Sarries, also you have two very good young locks, Ewels is only going to turn 23 next month and Stooke is 24 years old, those are two very young good players you need to invest it, take it from someone at sarries, when we started winning consistently was when we developed our academy and they became the core of the club, supplemented by young english players we got in like Mako at 19 and Billy at 20, the 5 most important players at Sarries (Mako, Billy, Maro, Faz, Goode, Jamie George), all of those guys have been at the club for ages, this trying to sign the biggest and flashiest galatico style will not help the club in the long run, you need to invest in players like Ewels and Stooke and even Attwood who has ben at your club now for a while

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

27 May, 2018 11:37
Bs12, yes by"an itoje" I mean I bet there's another quality young lock out there waiting to be picked up If we don't have Dave we might be lucky, if we do we won't be looking. But even if we're not lucky we'll find someone who is good.

Barnetsarrie12

27 May, 2018 11:54
Fair enough Dan but you already have 2 young high quality, not as good as Itoje but he is a special player that is why.

I know some people on here don't rate Ewels which is very bizarre to me, the guy is 22, will be in contention for a world cup place and is a good player, he needs to put on a bit more size but at 22/23, that can be easily done and he is already a top player. Stooke is also getting there and will be a really good player, he is 24 years old.

I think consistency is so important in the premiership, let us look at the top 4 this year and the DOR's

Mark McCall has been at Sarries since 2009, Baxter has been Head Honcho at Exeter since 2009, Dai Young at Wasps since 2011 and Dean Richards since 2012 and it is no coincidence that when Leicester were consistent, they had cockers who had been there for ages, there are no quick fixes in this league anymore, you need to invest in your young, continually build and go from there, trying a one year quick fix or trying to sign the most expensive player on earth won't hel you, like I said we have been there at sarries. What you need to do is invest in your young players and get in very experienced great players who are cheap options now e.g. George Smith who was amazing at Wasps not only on the field but Willis and Thomas Young have said he made them the player they are today, Schalk Burger recently also for us, that is a guy at 34, who is not as expensive but a world cup winner and that does wonders for the squad as you can get young players like Ben Earl or an Isiekwe learning from him.

What Bath needs is consistency at the moment and continual investment in the young players you have as you have many good ones (Ewels, Stooke, Mercer, Underhill, Douglas, Ellis) all under 25 and they should be who you build your team around

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

27 May, 2018 11:56
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Before someone writes on here telling me to F off again ( with impunity from the moderators it seems ), does anyone think Big Dave who is going to be very difficult to replace, is coming back? Living and playing rugby in a very lovely part of the world such as Provence, one of my favourite parts of the world, is like manna from heaven to any person and as long as he can sort his family out, makes sense to me for him to decide to stay.
What is there for him in Bath? He has forgotten his team mates it seems and has thankfully for him found his mojo and is enjoying playing the game again. Even if he is forced to see out his contract, is his heart is going to be in it? It was obvious to many people we lacked his power and muscle last season, especially after watching Sarries yesterday do a physical job on Exeter, and how vital that is if we are going to compete with the very best sides.

There are not many locks of DA's attributes out there and with his experience, Etzebeth possibly being the best I can think of at the moment. Lets hope our recruitment guy is out in South Africa with Bruce's open cheque in his hand!

I now await the usual abuse and probable ban for questioning a players word and motives.
Iíll keep telling you to F off if you keep up your relentless nastiness towards the club and itís players. You donít get abuse if you donít dish it out, simple. So please stop painting yourself as the victim when you are in fact the perpetrator.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

27 May, 2018 12:05
I think Ewels has already put on a lot of bulk since his time with England. Down in Argentina he seemed o have a fair bit of bulk that carried him over the line. We havenít seen much of it (though there was one high profile game that really stood out for me this season, just canít remember who against), probably due to injuries, but I think next season weíll really start to see it paying off.

Barnetsarrie12

27 May, 2018 12:18
He might have done Rawce but he still needs to put on some more imo. When i look at him next to the other locks in England, he still is not as big or as physical. Those are the two aspects of his game that needs to improve for him to start challenging for a place in the 23 for England as all of those guys (Itoje, Kruis, Launchbury even young Isiekwe) are at around or over the 120kg mark and the only guy below in Lawes is much more physical and destructive in defense and attack. He is nearly 23 so he still has some time but that is where he needs to get to because compared to Attwood for example, the gap in physicality is quite large.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

27 May, 2018 12:59
Towards the end of the season Ewels was putting in some huge hits. Hits them lower than Ellis two (who has a remarkably effective tackle technique). So hopefully he is heading in the right direction. Hope he stays mobile though as I think it adds a strong to his bow.

DownSouth
DownSouth (IP Logged)

27 May, 2018 14:05
Quote:
Barnetsarrie12
Brodie Retallick is a much better lock than Etzebeth. I can't see him coming to the prem as if he leaves NZ, I think he will go to Japan or France where he will earn way more.

I just think people have to get out of this one lock or one player will save us mentality, Etzebeth, Retallick, Itoje whoever it is, one player is not going to come in and rescue the club and win you the league imo, none of those players joining to me makes you better than chiefs, let alone Sarries, also you have two very good young locks

You speak a lot of sense. Appreciated.

I think what Bath needs is (a) show a statement of European intent and (b) have a talisman in a key position(s).

You are right that we have two very very good prospects at lock. Bringing in a megastar is going to give them confidence and a learning curve.

Itís no secret that Louw was an inspired signing (and Watson before him) to galvanise the back row. This is a guy who was one of the best flankers in the world at the time. A similar signing in a similar position should surely help the changing room and take some pressure off.

The game/business is moving so rapidly that we donít necessarily have the luxury of bedding in in the same way as the clubs youíve mentioned have over 8 years or so. We need a good quick fix in some key positions.

Iíve no idea how long Bruce has bought into this project, but his patience has to be being tested. Iím not sure itís the same position as Sarries were in quite a few years ago.

(By the way, Sarries werenít exactly shy in buying in galacticos back in the day &#128521winking smiley

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

27 May, 2018 16:26
Quote:
Barnetsarrie12
Fair enough Dan but you already have 2 young high quality, not as good as Itoje but he is a special player that is why.
I know some people on here don't rate Ewels which is very bizarre to me, the guy is 22, will be in contention for a world cup place and is a good player, he needs to put on a bit more size but at 22/23, that can be easily done and he is already a top player. Stooke is also getting there and will be a really good player, he is 24 years old.

I think consistency is so important in the premiership, let us look at the top 4 this year and the DOR's

Mark McCall has been at Sarries since 2009, Baxter has been Head Honcho at Exeter since 2009, Dai Young at Wasps since 2011 and Dean Richards since 2012 and it is no coincidence that when Leicester were consistent, they had cockers who had been there for ages, there are no quick fixes in this league anymore, you need to invest in your young, continually build and go from there, trying a one year quick fix or trying to sign the most expensive player on earth won't hel you, like I said we have been there at sarries. What you need to do is invest in your young players and get in very experienced great players who are cheap options now e.g. George Smith who was amazing at Wasps not only on the field but Willis and Thomas Young have said he made them the player they are today, Schalk Burger recently also for us, that is a guy at 34, who is not as expensive but a world cup winner and that does wonders for the squad as you can get young players like Ben Earl or an Isiekwe learning from him.

What Bath needs is consistency at the moment and continual investment in the young players you have as you have many good ones (Ewels, Stooke, Mercer, Underhill, Douglas, Ellis) all under 25 and they should be who you build your team around

http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=267

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

27 May, 2018 20:09
Lots of good logic from barnetsarrie here - particularly with regards management. However the big difference that Attwood brings is powerful carrying in the pack - something we desperately lack. Stooke is not at that level. Ewels is developing very nicely but that's not the strength of his game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/05/2018 20:09 by hasta.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 May, 2018 20:49
Attwood was also regarded as one of rugbyís best scrummaging TH locks.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

27 May, 2018 22:21
.................. and round and round and round it goes! (Sm119)

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

27 May, 2018 22:32
Quote:
annie blackthorn
.................. and round and round and round it goes! (Sm119)

Itís good that you are still showing an interest Annie. Long may it continue (Sm100)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/05/2018 22:32 by Bath Hammer.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

27 May, 2018 22:34
Quote:
Barnetsarrie12

I just think people have to get out of this one lock or one player will save us mentality, Etzebeth, Retallick, Itoje whoever it is, one player is not going to come in and rescue the club and win you the league imo, none of those players joining to me makes you better than chiefs, let alone Sarries, also you have two very good young locks, Ewels is only going to turn 23 next month and Stooke is 24 years old, those are two very young good players you need to invest it, take it from someone at sarries, when we started winning consistently was when we developed our academy and they became the core of the club, supplemented by young english players we got in like Mako at 19 and Billy at 20, the 5 most important players at Sarries (Mako, Billy, Maro, Faz, Goode, Jamie George), all of those guys have been at the club for ages, this trying to sign the biggest and flashiest galatico style will not help the club in the long run, you need to invest in players like Ewels and Stooke and even Attwood who has ben at your club now for a while

I appreciate what you're saying here but I just want to point out that as much as I like Itoje, he's not in the same league of player as Retallick. BR is just great at EVERYTHING.
Etzebeth is great physically but doesn't have BR's hands.

Anyway, I think the point some here are making is that although Stooke is very reliable, is very fit around the park and is consistently available for selection, he doesn't have the sheer horsepower of Atwood. And sheer horsepower is something we've been clearly lacking so Atwood has become a kind of embodiment of our problems.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

28 May, 2018 07:26
+1 to danchinho

Recwatcher
Recwatcher (IP Logged)

28 May, 2018 11:31
I would like to see far more of Douglas next season, as Charteris has been a disappointment and is 35. Douglas (22) has all the athletic attributes and although may be a little short for the elite tier he could be a fantastic asset for Bath. I am going to assume that Attwood will return but the Test boat has sadly sailed for him so fully expect him to make up for lost time at Bath. Those two plus Stooke & Ewels with Charteris filling in for any injuries/call ups is enough.

There is also the prospect of Garvey moving up a row to make room for either Ellis (or Underhill If Louw is playing).

A dominant scrum and a penetrating midfield are in far greater nŤed of work.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

28 May, 2018 12:17
I never feel that Garvey brings quite the same game when he plays second row, and there's no reason why he should. The game he brings at 6 is impressive, and needed, if somewhat less glamorous than what some of our other back rows do.

I think there's plenty of game time for all our back row.

Barnetsarrie12

28 May, 2018 13:38
Quote:
DownSouth
Quote:
Barnetsarrie12

I just think people have to get out of this one lock or one player will save us mentality, Etzebeth, Retallick, Itoje whoever it is, one player is not going to come in and rescue the club and win you the league imo, none of those players joining to me makes you better than chiefs, let alone Sarries, also you have two very good young locks

You speak a lot of sense. Appreciated.

I think what Bath needs is (a) show a statement of European intent and (b) have a talisman in a key position(s).

You are right that we have two very very good prospects at lock. Bringing in a megastar is going to give them confidence and a learning curve.

Itís no secret that Louw was an inspired signing (and Watson before him) to galvanise the back row. This is a guy who was one of the best flankers in the world at the time. A similar signing in a similar position should surely help the changing room and take some pressure off.

The game/business is moving so rapidly that we donít necessarily have the luxury of bedding in in the same way as the clubs youíve mentioned have over 8 years or so. We need a good quick fix in some key positions.

Iíve no idea how long Bruce has bought into this project, but his patience has to be being tested. Iím not sure itís the same position as Sarries were in quite a few years ago.

(By the way, Sarries werenít exactly shy in buying in galacticos back in the day &#128521winking smiley

Great points Down South. Trust me i know all about buying galaticos and like i said, it never got us anywhere as we never won anything and to me, maybe this is just me philosophically when you look at the best teams now around, Exeter, Sarries, Leinster, they built very slowly and built through their academy and young players.

Le us use Leinster as an example, until this year, they had not been to a final in Europe since 2011 or 2012 and they actually went through a down period but now they have started producing good young players see Dan Leavy, James Ryan and all of the countless other young players, Furlong being another example, the older these guys have become, the better they have become and those guys have gone close in recent seasons, making it to semi finals in europe in 2 of the last 4 seasons before winning this one.

We have the same thing at sarries, it took us going to semi finals and finals in europe and some of our players like Kruis, Faz, Jamie, Mako, Billy getting a bit older and wiser for us to be where we are today. All of those guys i mentioned all played in the 2014 final we lost to Toulon where we looked outclassed and that was part of their development, Itoje was part of the 2015 team that lost a close game away to Clermont, that was part of his development.

You look at the Exeter team yesterday and how many young players they have who are no where close to their prime, Leinster the same, also sarries, we have a young core of players who are mostly under the age of 27.

Brodie Retallick will make any side on earth better but I won't be banking on him leaving in 2019, NZ will do everything possible to get him signed even allowing him to go on a sabbatical and go to japan but they are not losing a 28 year old in his prime, that won't happen and I can't see Retallick leaving, like i said what you should be targeting imo of course is steady development as it is more sustainable, if you look at the top 3, sarries has been in the top 4 for 9 straight years, Exeter in the finals for 3 straight seasons, Wasps in the top 4 for 3 straight seasons. What you need to do is be like those teams and build slowly and gradually and you have a good base to go off, you have made top 6 two seasons in a row now so the target should be making top 4 for the next 2/3 seasons consistently, that should be what you should target, not one off victories as the last two european cup winners, sarries and Leinster to me have shown the template to use to build a successful team.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net