rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

Club statement on Atters
02 February, 2018 15:26

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

Re: Club statement on Atters
02 February, 2018 15:33
Thought Ellis was a 6 now?

Still, it's a strange decision. I can imagine the puzzlement on here if it happened to Exeter and Mitch Lees or Dave Ewers for example.

Anyway, it's done now.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 15:38
Yes, still odd and frustrating for us fans who would love to see him out on the field, but can't cry over spilled milk.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 15:39
Well explained by the club and by Attwood, including a personal message that Attwood has put out on social media.

ďIím really thankful to the Club for understanding and agreeing to my request to take up this opportunity."

So it was Attwood's request. If the club had turned him down, we'd have had an unhappy, half fit and expensive asset on our hands, so I don't think they can be to blame.

If he comes back next season fit, firing, and happy and gives us a fantastic (final?) season, then it will have been worth it. If he doesn't, then I'm not sure who we can blame but the player.

Onwards and good luck to Dave. Enjoy yourself.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 15:44
Ok so if we just focus on the sequence of events, at some point in time Toulon jhas approached Attwood, I assume for a permanent move - clubs dont approach injured payers to come and be an injury replacement.

If he wasnt interested in that he wouldnt be going now?

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 15:49
Just bad all round for Bath this season when we're battling to finish 6th.

What next TF to Racing and FL to Montpellier when they're both fit?

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 15:51
Quote:
woodpecker
Ok so if we just focus on the sequence of events, at some point in time Toulon has approached Attwood, I assume for a permanent move - clubs dont approach injured payers to come and be an injury replacement.
If he wasnt interested in that he wouldn't be going now?

Maybe a chat over a pie and a pint after the recent Toulon game?

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 15:53
Still a very unprecedented situation.
Any employee of any business would have to have a very solid foundation to promote such a request let alone have it accepted.
Have the days of loyalty to your club ahead of your own difficulties now gone - especially when that club have worked so incredibly hard to get you back together?
Shall we see other clubs following suit?

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 15:56
Quote:
Danchinho
I can imagine the puzzlement on here if it happened to Exeter and Mitch Lees or Dave Ewers for example

Yes - it would probably be something along the lines of:

Brilliant piece of lateral thinking by that man-management genius Rob Baxter. What an imaginative way to get a player up to speed at another club's expense, get him out of his comfort zone, come back a better, happier, fitter player, from which Bath will benefit hugely next season. Why oh why can't Bath be a bit more inventive like this?

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 15:59
Quote:
johnnyf
Any employee of any business would have to have a very solid foundation to promote such a request let alone have it accepted.
Have the days of loyalty to your club ahead of your own difficulties now gone - especially when that club have worked so incredibly hard to get you back together?

Maybe a bit like OB1, but without the being injured bit.

Let's look on the positive side. If you are a player looking for a new AP club to join, but at some point you might fancy going to France before your contract is up, you would take a serious look at Bath.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 16:10
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
Danchinho
I can imagine the puzzlement on here if it happened to Exeter and Mitch Lees or Dave Ewers for example

Brilliant piece of lateral thinking by that man-management genius Rob Baxter. What an imaginative way to get a player up to speed at another club's expense, get him out of his comfort zone, come back a better, happier, fitter player, from which Bath will benefit hugely next season. Why oh why can't Bath be a bit more inventive like this?

(Sm22)

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 16:11
Quote:
johnnyf
Yes, in large part, thanks to Bath.
Remember Faamatuianu, Cheeseman, Barkley, Ovens, Koster, GMercer etc etc.
Club shows such loyalty to players that it moves them out on "permanent loan" when they're contract has become inconvenient. Is it surprising that a player now (potentially) treats the club with the same level of loyalty.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 16:15
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
Danchinho

That would only be from one poster to be fair!

The rest would be having a good chortle.

westondave
WestonDave (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 16:48
Perhaps in 2018 when a player talks about needing mental rehab, we should be a little cautious about taking that too lightly. Privacy etc respected but its not beyond the realms of possibility that he "really" needs to return to playing somewhere with less supporter pressure, or somewhere without the associations with repeated returns of injury. Just my reading of his own statement which of course may be wide of the mark.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 16:58
Quote:
WestonDave
Perhaps in 2018 when a player talks about needing mental rehab, we should be a little cautious about taking that too lightly. Privacy etc respected but its not beyond the realms of possibility that he "really" needs to return to playing somewhere with less supporter pressure, or somewhere without the associations with repeated returns of injury. Just my reading of his own statement which of course may be wide of the mark.

Toulon certainly isn't the place to go for less supporter pressure.

Hercules Spoons
Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 17:01
Beware

Bristol Ďnursedí him through his degree, as soon as he graduated he b......d off to Glos

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 17:40
I wonder if big Dave is just terrified that he may not live up to BoB's expectations.

Imagine - you haven't stepped out in the hallowed BBW for 9 months, and in your comeback 15 minutes from the bench you are expected to single-handedly move the Novia stand 4 feet south; pick up the opposition's entire front-row and fling them over the Blackthorn and into weir; punch both their second-rows so hard that Roger Spurrell runs across the pitch and nails a badge of honour to your forehead. And if Dave falls short in any one of those tasks a voice from the terraces will cry, 'booger off back to Spa-leigh you lily-livered streak of pelican p1ss'.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 18:14
Very funny Opti and I'm coming to this very late but I just don't get the hysteria.

Best of luck Dave, enjoy the experience, will follow with interest and look forward to you back, fully fit [physically and mentally] and raring for start of next campaign

And if it does end up with you moving to south of France on a decent whack after that then you blooky well deserve it for everything you've done in the BBW cause

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 18:41
For those who don't do Twitter here is Dave's personal message

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1517596564.jpg

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1517596596.jpg

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Never In Doubt
Never In Doubt (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 18:53
If a player openly states mental well-being is the reason, then I want to assume it is the case. In truth, I don't really understand how a move to Toulon lessens any pressure but as I don't know the details then I guess I should take it on trust. It just feels a bit thin.

However, it is hard not to have nagging doubts and if the loan was to be made permanent I would be very disappointed in this statement.

If Bath miss out on Top 4 or Top 6 by a point and we don't use the cap this frees up to bolster the team then it is going to look like unfortunate.

I am a usually a strong advocate of trusting the club but even I am starting to feel confused and a bit let down by all of this. It just feels there is more to this than we are being told.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 18:54 by Never In Doubt.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 18:58
A medical condition hinted at assumes that there is a difficulty in divulging too much. I am happy to just say get back on the horse as soon as you can Dave and come back to us stronger.

Never In Doubt
Never In Doubt (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 19:03
Quote:
CoochieCoo
A medical condition hinted at assumes that there is a difficulty in divulging too much. I am happy to just say get back on the horse as soon as you can Dave and come back to us stronger.

I would agree but it is hard to dispel the nagging doubt that he does not come back. It is hard not to be tremendously disappointed when I feel out biggest weakness is the lack of power in the 2nd row.

If I retained confidence in making the Top 4 it was partly due to Attwood returning to our pack.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 19:13
I hope all those willing to chuck DA on the scrap heap over the last few months seriously consider some of their postings in the future.

Well done for bringing up your struggles and being honest Dave, get well soon and hopefully Toulon is the tonic you need. True Bath fans will be patient, take as long as you need.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 19:53
Quote:
CoochieCoo
For those who don't do Twitter here is Dave's personal message
http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1517596564.jpg

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1517596596.jpg
thank you for posting that.
Mental injury on top of physical... Has my sympathy and support.

Sometimes a change of scenery is just what is needed, others, reducing the expectations (by not being first choice starter, by being largely unknown to the fans) can also be a massive tonic.

Good luck Dave, get your mind straight, and your body right, whatever happens after that.

RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2018 07:48 by Which Tyler.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

02 February, 2018 22:15
Reading that it all seems perfectly understandable but what I just canít get my head round is why Toulon? How does it help someone in a fragile state of mind trying to get match fit going into a pressure cooker situation like Toulon? They are struggling by their own standards & must be under considerable pressure from their fans. I could understand him going to a lower profile French club but Toulon is about the last club I would consider suitable. However, that being said, I have great sympathy for him & hope he gets himself back to where he needs to be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 22:17 by Bath Hammer.

OBinexile
OBinexile (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 01:05
Why Toulon? Toulon have (concocted?) an injury crisis at 2nd row, and so can use the medical joker card to bring Attwood in. Toulon are, currently mid-table. a medical joker from outside would feel relatively little pressure on him even at Toulon.

Bath have 4 or 5 2nd rows competing, and raring to go. It might be difficult to fit someone in who has had minimal game time for 18 months.

2nd row position has evolved massively even in the last 18 months. Todd is used to NZ where 'tractor' 2nd rows aren't preferred over athletes. In Ewells, Stooke and Douglas Bath have athletes, Charteris provides the giraffe while Philips covers on beef (and he played No 8 - where 'tractors on speed' appear to be the current vogue).

DA had to work really hard to up his tackling stats a couple of seasons ago, maybe in training he's just not competing with the others on the beep test and, given the amount of tackling bath are doing this season, that just might not fit with current gameplan.

The French game is considered to be geared more round set-piece dominance than elsewhere (dunno if thats true these days) - which suits DA better. Clearly there must be a strong chance that he's off to France for one final paycheck after his current Bath contract, and before - if the moneys right.

OBinExile

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 11:20
Or maybe people could accept Attwoodís statement at face value and not actively look for reasons or conspiracies to s**t all over the club, player, French, whoever?

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 11:32
Well said Rawce.

I for one am happy to take this at face value and hope Dave comes back to us fit and firing for Pre Season!

PG

P G Tips

Paul Grant: my adopted Player, 2017-18.

MESSAGES->author
plong (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 18:11
Good Luck DA & enjoy the less pressured environment of not being expected to carry a whole team, competing with already fully match-fit colleagues, the sunnier climate & a couple of months where the crowd aren't second-guessing your motives...

Come back as a fully fit, refreshed & raring to pull up trees for Bath Rugby, monster!

(and, if you don't come back... YOU GIT! [:wor kid:])

Adopted Players
2017-18: Sam Underhill
2016-17: Will Homer

wilshd
wilshd (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 20:24
I'm pretty certain he's not coming back.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 21:10
Based on....

MESSAGES->author
Griff (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 21:27
How dare the club put a players welfare and mental well-being first! Donít you know that Atters was going to save our season and has cost us the prem title!! A players welfare is the most important thing and having been fortunate enough to hear Ducan Bell speak about his battles with depression and how clubs generally donít put a players welfare first. I applaud the the club and Atters for being honest and brave enough to take this decision.

Iím gutted we wonít see him in the BB&W this season and maybe never again, Iím also glad Iíve had the pleasure of watching Atters play for Bath and the service he gave us. Good luck Dave I say.

"You're going to need a bigger boat"

wilshd
wilshd (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 21:37
1) big forward incoming.

2) Blackadder frustrated at number of constantly injured players and looking to act.
Attwood surely falls into this category,

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 21:43
Quote:
wilshd
1) big forward incoming.
2) Blackadder frustrated at number of constantly injured players and looking to act.
Attwood surely falls into this category,

1. Source?

2. Surely = guessing

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 22:01
Probably just huge amounts of hoping! Lets hope some is true, especially the need to replace big Dave with a big strong athletic cross between ball winner and enforcer. Etzibeth for me please.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 22:08
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Probably just huge amounts of hoping! Lets hope some is true, especially the need to replace big Dave with a big strong athletic cross between ball winner and enforcer. Etzibeth for me please.

Big Dave said he would be back in his statement and Twitter feed, why do we need someone for 4 months? We have very good back up in that department.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 22:34
Ok a very well written statement I shall withdraw my FFS post on the other thread and for once take something at face value.
Get well Dave and look forward to seeing you next season.
However as Plong said. . . . . .

FLAP FLAP

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 22:35
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Quote:
Bathovalballer

Big Dave said he would be back in his statement and Twitter feed, why do we need someone for 4 months? We have very good back up in that department.

Because Wilshd says that DA isnít coming back so thatís the basis for this latest speculation. I think we should just all wait to see what happens tbh.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

03 February, 2018 22:59
Dave Attwood

Quote:
I am still very much committed to Bath Rugby and I will be returning after the conclusion of the Top 14 to rejoin my team mates and coaches here in Bath

That is good enough for me and pretty clear that he will complete his contract with us in 2018/19.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2018 10:42 by CoochieCoo.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 08:43
I read two 4 things from Attwoodís message :

1. His hopes have been raised and dashed several times along the road to recovery hence the reference to the mental side of recovery. There could be more to it than that but you canít infer it from that message.

2. He thanks Bathís amazing medical and conditioning teams, but no one else in the Bath hierarchy

3. He calls out the chance to work with a world class team and world class team mates at Toulon. Again, you could surmise that this is in contrast to his current environment.

4. Seems that this is his decision.

Unlike several on ere I canít see any logical reason for this move. Heís Baths player, he was broke and we fixed him, we need his help. I know how I will feel if he helps win Toulon the champions cup whilst we miss out on the top 4.

I suspect we wonít see him in the BBW again. If so it would be good to know the reason why.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 10:11
Think I prefer CC's line unless anything else from either Dave or the Club says different

AndyMGlos
Lebowski (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 10:16
Quote:
Hercules Spoons
Beware
Bristol Ďnursedí him through his degree, as soon as he graduated he b......d off to Glos

And Glos stood by him through injuries and suspension (when he jumped on a Frenchmanís head) then he followed the money to a team he said he would never play for. Anybody who thinks he has any loyalty to Bath, or anybody else for that matter, is deluded.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 10:42
Quote:
Beergoggles

2. He thanks Bathís amazing medical and conditioning teams, but no one else in the Bath hierarchy

3. He calls out the chance to work with a world class team and world class team mates at Toulon. Again, you could surmise that this is in contrast to his current environment.

You're reading way too much into things

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 11:43
Quote:
Beergoggles

Read the first para of his tweet. He thanks Bath Rugby, that means Bruce downwards......!

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 14:23
Quote:
Griff
How dare the club put a players welfare and mental well-being first! Donít you know that Atters was going to save our season and has cost us the prem title!! A players welfare is the most important thing and having been fortunate enough to hear Ducan Bell speak about his battles with depression and how clubs generally donít put a players welfare first. I applaud the the club and Atters for being honest and brave enough to take this decision.

Some over reaction here, donít think anyone has said we should ignore his well being and recovery, physical and mental. Some more understandable options that still ease him back in.

(I) Take the rest of the season off Dave, come back fit and fresh ready for pre season.

(ii) If you really want some game time letís arrange a loan at a lower league club away from the limelight.

Going into a higher pressure situation, with maximum press exposure, and with a club that we were competing with 2 weeks ago, makes it very hard for Bath fans to think Ďwhy on earth isnít Dave playing for usí.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 14:29
Maybe it's part of a master plan for DA to do a bit of scouting in his spare time for more cheap players in the French 2nd division.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 14:31
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:
Griff

Some over reaction here, donít think anyone has said we should ignore his well being and recovery, physical and mental. Some more understandable options that still ease him back in.

(I) Take the rest of the season off Dave, come back fit and fresh ready for pre season.

(ii) If you really want some game time letís arrange a loan at a lower league club away from the limelight.

Going into a higher pressure situation, with maximum press exposure, and with a club that we were competing with 2 weeks ago, makes it very hard for Bath fans to think Ďwhy on earth isnít Dave playing for usí.

I agree, either of those options would have been easier for fans to understand .(Sm128)

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 18:33
O, I think quite a lot of us do understand!

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 21:39
I think OBT makes a reasonable point & on the face of it those options make more sense but DA has evidently thought this through & we need to take him at his word.

Bathovalballer

04 February, 2018 22:12
He is going to be playing in a highly pressurised, physical league with behemoth forwards up to the end of June IIRR, for an extremely demanding owner, and then come back, assuming injury free, and virtually go straight into pre season with us.

Plus he is moving his family to a foreign country (albeit a bit warmer and with top class food and wine) and this is not going to challenge his stress levels?

Presently, unless I am missing something, I cannot see how he 'will come back refreshed'! Whereas Beergoggles suggestions of recuperation and recovery do make more sense.

Unless he is planning to move to France in 2019/20 and as said before, he is going out on a 'try before buy' basis.

I have read the club's and his statements, but as we are in dire need as are his team mates of his personal services and abilities, I cannot see how this Toulon move is of benefit to his physical and mental welfare, or the club and its supporters.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 22:30
Does the old saying 'a change is as good as a rest' cover it?

He has probably spent more time looking at the 4 walls of the physios rooms at Farleigh than anyone else in the last year so maybe that is it.

I admit I am trying to look on the positive side, I can just about see it.

As desperate as we might or might not be for his services if he is not right then he wouldn't produce what we think he should be able to do.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

04 February, 2018 22:52
If he ends up going back to Toulon after this ďrecuperationĒ there might be a bit less understanding.

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

05 February, 2018 12:28
Somehow, just somehow, this still leaves a bitter taste in the mouth.
It is not my comprehension of what being a club man is all about - but perhaps I'm old-fashioned and, like life, things evolve.

However I would like the club to answer one last question - "Is this how they see selling a product to the paying customer".
Is there a clause in my season ticket purchase which allows them to modify the product which they are selling at their will? I guess that's just being naive. But what if every injured player in the team had made such a request?

BBandW
BBandW (IP Logged)

05 February, 2018 12:59
If Dave Attwood feels he needs a change, and the club are ok to go along with his request, then IMHO that should be good enough reason.

Rugby is only a game - ones heatlth, physiacal or mental, are far more important.

Some of the comments on this thread implying the supporters are being short changed seem somewhat short on understanding.

Good luck Dave, and hope you'll be back in the BBandW soon.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

05 February, 2018 13:04
If someone is injured, physically or mentally, then of course we and the club should support their rehab. In this case the implication is that Attwood has completed rehab and is fit, physically and mentally to play rugby at the highest club levels of intensity - just not for Bath. Given we're a club who aspires to play at the highest club levels of intensity, I don't see a conflict in supporting a player's rehab, weighting mental injuries responsibly and still wondering what in the heck is going on here on both a club and/or player level.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

05 February, 2018 13:41
Here he is at the airport

[twitter.com]

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

05 February, 2018 13:47
He and the Club have given a very clear statement in which they are at pains to say that he will be a Bath player next season.

So ...

- if he is a Bath player next season and the 'rehab' goes well, then the few months' sabbatical will look like a really forward-thinking bit of man management.

- if he isn't a Bath player next season then everyone will have absolutely every right to complain very bitterly about being lied to

I can't really see a lot of middle ground. I'm going to go with the former for the time being, which will make me even more upset if it turns out to be the latter.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

05 February, 2018 13:51
Quote:
hasta
If someone is injured, physically or mentally, then of course we and the club should support their rehab. In this case the implication is that Attwood has completed rehab and is fit, physically and mentally to play rugby at the highest club levels of intensity - just not for Bath. Given we're a club who aspires to play at the highest club levels of intensity, I don't see a conflict in supporting a player's rehab, weighting mental injuries responsibly and still wondering what in the heck is going on here on both a club and/or player level.

+ 1 Thera are some who are implying that those of us who question this decision in any way whatsoever are not showing understanding & empathy for a player recovering from injury. This couldnít be further from the truth. However, there are different ways to handle sensitive issues & supporters should be free to express their views. Personally I am content to accept Daveís statement at face value but worry about this creating a precedent.

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

05 February, 2018 16:08
Coming to this very late.
It just doesn't feel right.
My gut feelings:

1. He'll be injured again b4 the end of the season.
2. We won't see him back in BBW next season.
3. Toulon really do only need injury cover and won't keep him.

That said, I'll be overjoyed to be proven wrong.

recman
recman (IP Logged)

05 February, 2018 18:14
Quote:
Optimist
- if he isn't a Bath player next season then everyone will have absolutely every right to complain very bitterly about being lied to

I can't really see a lot of middle ground. I'm going to go with the former for the time being, which will make me even more upset if it turns out to be the latter.

There's no way they'll ever admit to lying, and there are tons of ways they'll be able to wriggle out of that accusation. Poor Dave, it must wreak havoc on your mental state being paid that much and not being able to play. So, so frustrating. Chin up, Dave, old son.

Bathovalballer

05 February, 2018 23:15
Anyone got odds on him coming back to play for Bath? To me it's a cert bet he will not and when I find a bookie who will accept my bet, I will be chucking a lump of cash at it. I do like taking very safe bets, as they are usually as rare as hens teeth! To me this is an absolute no brainer.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 06:53
Yes, so you said before.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 10:09
Does anyone else get the vague impression that BOB might be a little miffed about something? I'm really struggling to put my finger on what though.

RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 10:18
Quote:
Which Tyler
Does anyone else get the vague impression that BOB might be a little miffed about something? I'm really struggling to put my finger on what though.

When you say something, you mean in the singular?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 10:19
Perhaps the fact that he can't find a bookie to take his bet is significant, they are not often wrong!

Long Term
Long Term (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 11:52
It's called Trolling.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 12:20
Bob is miffed because Exeter were too small a club to bother following when he started following Bath's fortunes, and now he wishes he didn't follow Bath at all, just that fantastic set up in Devon.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 12:23
Quote:
Long Term
It's called Trolling.

You may not like or agree with what BOvB says but its almost certainly not Trolling in that I'm sure he believes 100% in what he says and I see no evidence that he's posting to illicit a reaction. Feel free to apologise to him.

On this one I'm with BOvB in that I don't understand the reason for the move and I too would be surprised if we see Atwood in the BBW again.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 12:39
There are many situations at Bath rugby where the optimists on this site can see things in a positive or understanding light and the pessimists vice versa.

Even the 'glass fulls' must think this looks a little bit odd..

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 12:56
Quote:
woodpecker
There are many situations at Bath rugby where the optimists on this site can see things in a positive or understanding light and the pessimists vice versa.
Even the 'glass fulls' must think this looks a little bit odd..

Its definitely odd. Its also frustrating because we want to see him play for us again ASAP. Calling the club and DA liars when we don't really know anything about it is a bit strong though IMO.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 15:43
Quote:
Which Tyler

Isn't it usually Ewels' fault?

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 16:52
I think a point made previously is that if DA does have a wish to play full time in France then there isn't a lot of point in trying to keep him, we just move on with a suitable replacement if it did come to that.

Yes it would be disappointing but there is no doubt he must have been through a very tough time and be sick of seeing the physios room and doubting if he would play again.

My own thoughts are that there is probably no master plan and that he should take it a week at a time and see where it ends up.

There was a good article on the BBC recently about pro sports players going through difficulties adjusting to being retired from their dream jobs and I reckon DA would have been thinking similar thoughts.

I hated missing a weekend when I played sport, imagine how he felt being out for so long.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 16:56
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:
Long Term
It's called Trolling.

You may not like or agree with what BOvB says but its almost certainly not Trolling in that I'm sure he believes 100% in what he says and I see no evidence that he's posting to illicit a reaction. Feel free to apologise to him.

On this one I'm with BOvB in that I don't understand the reason for the move and I too would be surprised if we see Atwood in the BBW again.

+1

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 17:09
If you're convinced that Dave Attwood is a liar, presumably you don't really want someone like that playing for Bath anyway? In which case, you'll either get your wish or be wrong. Bit of a lose-lose that?

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 18:18
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Anyone got odds on him coming back to play for Bath? To me it's a cert bet he will not and when I find a bookie who will accept my bet, I will be chucking a lump of cash at it. I do like taking very safe bets, as they are usually as rare as hens teeth! To me this is an absolute no brainer.

Okey dokey BoB, I'll take you up on your 'no brainer cert bet' - £25 at evens says Dave will back to play in the BBW after this loan deal is completed

Deal or no deal?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 18:37
Quote:
gaz59
Quote:
Bathovalballer

Okey dokey BoB, I'll take you up on your 'no brainer cert bet' - £25 at evens says Dave will back to play in the BBW after this loan deal is completed

Deal or no deal?

Evens Gaz? Its such a dead-cert as far as BoB is concerned that he should be offering you maybe 10-1!

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 20:30
...and a free sports TV streaming service.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 21:50
Reflected on this baffling news for a few days now and am beginning to think DA will be off. He has no England shirt to fight for despite his great showing on the Saxons tour to SA 1-2yr ago, probably had enough of winter rugby so maybe he's just following the sunshine and money. Most English players seem to settle well in France so why wouldn't he? A bientot...

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 21:59
Bath isnít a bad place to bring up a family either tbh.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 22:21
Isn't his wife called Brie? I sense some desperate fromagerie afoot.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 22:40
Mange tout Rodney, mange tout.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 22:51
'Was it a hard decision Dave?'

'Canard'.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 08:36
Quote:
BathMatt53
Bath isnít a bad place to bring up a family either tbh.

In terms of rugby you're absolutely correct and without doubt Bath is the best location of all the professional teams in England.

However the south of France is equally as good, but it also has the positive that it's often sunny, whereas the south of England is mostly wet.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 09:15
Quote:
hasta
Isn't his wife called Brie? I sense some desperate fromagerie afoot.

Should we now refer to DA as "Alright Dave" a la Trigger?

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 12:41
Quote:
B4thB4ck
'Was it a hard decision Dave?'
'Canard'.

Took me a while but very funny

Tomato Soup
Tomato Soup (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 12:43
Gone for the wedge and the sunshine.

We won't see him in the BBW again. Its OK for the club to consider his wealthbeing but they don't give a hoot about the fans.

Personally I really don't think I will renew my season ticket next year.

Friday nights and a club with players that take loyal fans for granted is my reason.

Craig & Tarquin are ruining the Bath Rugby experience and so is that announcer bloke.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 12:54
On the plus side, your ticket will be snapped up by someone who is a bit happier about the whole thing and you will get your weekends back. Win - Win.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 13:02
If Bruce Craig is 'ruining' the Bath Rugby experience for you TS, then I think you are harking for something that is long gone. The Rec and the match-day experience have been immeasurably improved since Craig bought the Club. Whether Farleigh is perfect or not, I very much doubt if the players would vote for a return to Lambridge. And, while the £5m or so that he has ploughed into the Club probably represents a smaller percentage of his disposable income than me buying a Season Ticket, we'd be in the Championship without it.

Bath is a bit of an anomaly in being such a small town with such a - relatively - big professional club. Personally, I think many people's expectations are skewed by the era when - through blatant shamateurism - the city punched way above its weight. If the new stadium goes ahead as outlined on the Stadium for Bath website, then Craig will have achieved something genuinely iconic. However - as with the spa, which has turned Bath into Hen-night central - a lot of the impact will be to bring yet more visitors to the city to fill the ever-growing number of hotel rooms.

I can understand how this might turn people off - but it's progress, and the alternative for a town of Bath's size is to live within its means and play in the Championship.

As for the announcer bloke .... yep - couldn't agree more, it's rubbish. But then again, the Saturday afternoon atmosphere at the Rec can be pretty soporiphic. Friday nights on the other hand ..... (see other thread)!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 13:10
Quote:
Optimist
As for the announcer bloke .... yep - couldn't agree more, it's rubbish. But then again, the Saturday afternoon atmosphere at the Rec can be pretty soporiphic. Friday nights on the other hand ..... (see other thread)!

Give the guy a break all he's trying to do is wake up the library Rec

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 13:15
Opti + 1.

Agree with your every word.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 13:21
Quote:
Optimist
If Bruce Craig is 'ruining' the Bath Rugby experience for you TS, then I think you are harking for something that is long gone. The Rec and the match-day experience have been immeasurably improved since Craig bought the Club. Whether Farleigh is perfect or not, I very much doubt if the players would vote for a return to Lambridge. And, while the £5m or so that he has ploughed into the Club probably represents a smaller percentage of his disposable income than me buying a Season Ticket, we'd be in the Championship without it.
Bath is a bit of an anomaly in being such a small town with such a - relatively - big professional club. Personally, I think many people's expectations are skewed by the era when - through blatant shamateurism - the city punched way above its weight. If the new stadium goes ahead as outlined on the Stadium for Bath website, then Craig will have achieved something genuinely iconic. However - as with the spa, which has turned Bath into Hen-night central - a lot of the impact will be to bring yet more visitors to the city to fill the ever-growing number of hotel rooms.

I can understand how this might turn people off - but it's progress, and the alternative for a town of Bath's size is to live within its means and play in the Championship.

Yeah I agree with all of this.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 13:53
So the announcer is a bit of a tool, do we want:

a) No announcer, perhaps we could have a church bell tolling, a wind blowing, and some tumbleweed blowing across the rec...

b) A different announcer who is less of a tool, suggestions welcome, what about that killer whale that can speak?

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 14:13
Quote:
Optimist

Hear, hear. One further point if you feel your club and a senior player is lying to you, it surely must be time you moved on to allow someone else more enthusiastic a chance!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 14:53
Quote:
woodpecker
So the announcer is a bit of a tool, do we want:
a) No announcer, perhaps we could have a church bell tolling, a wind blowing, and some tumbleweed blowing across the rec...

b) A different announcer who is less of a tool, suggestions welcome, what about that killer whale that can speak?

Or c) The same announcer but with a different script!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 15:03
Dan Evans view on it:

[www.bathchronicle.co.uk]

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 15:10
Dan Evans article says not at lot at all.In fact the only comment on this is ...

Another injury breakdown doesn't bear thinking about. However, if he can get the mental reboot he hopes for, while sharpening and toughening up that knee and the rest of his body, it could end up being a real boon for Bath, not a disaster

Of course this would be equally true if he was playing for us after his time out of the game, like he should be.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 16:02
Chron sport articles are usually fairly simple to decipher. They are always going to exist in a bit of a mutually back-scratching partnership with Bath Rugby, so they'll usually present as 'opinion' something on which they've been briefed. My reading of the article is that it's been reiterated to them that they do very much envisage DA returning to Bath for next season. That was my take on it anyway, but that article just confirms it to me.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 16:05
Quote:
Optimist
My reading of the article is that it's been reiterated to them that they do very much envisage DA returning to Bath for next season. That was my take on it anyway, but that article just confirms it to me.

You (and Dan Evans) are sadly misinformed. Ask BoB if you want the true answer.

Tomato Soup
Tomato Soup (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 17:17
All i'm saying is that its a complete crock on and off the pitch.

The supporters are short changed with journeymen signings while we wait for the players we work hard to earn money and pay to see leg it as soon as they are fit.

Its rubbish and the club and the owner does nothing.

The mess we are in with contracts etc is down to the club management.

FFS Banners to Glos, Attwood to Toulon, home games at Twickenham

Lets let Flouw go to Exeter for a few weeks next.

When does our supporters start to matter in all of this ? When doe my £495 per season start to matter?

If it doesn't then fine - Shove it c'os I have had enough and can watch it on BT Sport like I will the semi final on a Friday again.

MESSAGES->author
Garbageman (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 18:36
Opti telling it like it is

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net