rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
jonniejon
jonniejon (IP Logged)

Fed up with an unequal split of Friday night games
06 February, 2018 13:02
Fed up with an unequal split of Friday night games then sign our petition here:

[www.change.org]

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: Fed up with an unequal split of Friday night games
06 February, 2018 13:15
I don't want an equal share? (OK, so I don't sign it I guess!).

For example, Wasps and Sarries play an awful lot on Sundays - I am one of those who can't do Sundays so those two clubs having more of their fair share suits me down to the ground.

Didn't Bath say that the fans preference was Saturday, Friday then Sunday?

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 13:38
[m.rugbynetwork.net] Deja Vu all over again?

MESSAGES->author
FourSticks (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 13:40
The last three Friday night matches at the Rec

Leicester (AW). 14,354. (99%)
Wasps (AP). 14,509 (100%)
Scarlets (CC). 13,822. (96%)

Seems that we can moan about the number of Friday night matches, but that does not translate to any discernible drop in attendance figures. Until that happens, Bath will not do anything about addressing any perceived imbalance in match days.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 13:52
Those figures dont take into account season ticket holders who aren't turning up. I have made about one Friday night this season, I think I've sold a few, this Friday isnt TX, so my seat will be empty. I guess as I've paid they arent out of pocket...much

Is it on TV? (I pay twice if so)

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 14:07
[sport.bt.com] Live on BT Sport 1

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 14:12
Quote:
Mike the Taxi
http://sport.bt.com/live-on-bt-sport-01364117948039#?category=Rugby%20Union Live on BT Sport 1

I guess id better not watch it then, it will only encourage them...

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 14:13
Quote:
FourSticks
Until that happens, Bath will not do anything about addressing any perceived imbalance in match days.

Didn't they say that they had tried (and failed) anyway?

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 14:13
Bath have addressed this multiple times, they can have nominate there preferred day for some competitions, but not others. The TV broadcasters have the final say on all televised matches as they need to fit them into their schedule. I like having matches to watch across the weekend.

Is forcing some clubs to play at a different location if their ground canít be used on certain days really a good solution? Iím pretty sure there would be up roar if we had that restriction and had to play multiple ďhomeĒ games per season in say Bristol or Swindon.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 15:27
I much prefer Friday evenings to Saturday afternoons. I'd be surprised if there aren't practically as many people who do .... anyone who plays or supports their local club, for example. Nor does it get in the way of kids' weekend sport. I like it because the atmosphere is miles better. And - for me - it's as good a night out as any ... better than the cinema/theatre, better than a restaurant. Just my perspective.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 15:38
In relation to the Aviva premiership, the number of home Friday night games by club to date are:

worcs 5
sale 4
newcastle 3
glos 3
saints 2
bath 1 (Wasps, 29th December)
quins 1
exe 0
sarries 0
wasps 0
tigers 0
Irish 0

I think that we have done OK?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2018 15:39 by BathMatt53.

06 February, 2018 15:51
The man on the Clapham omnibus finds constant Friday nights extraordinarily difficult as you may imagine. I imagine we (the club) are at the beck and call of BT Sport. Do they pay more for Fridays perhaps? I am beginning to miss the leisurely Saturday spending my hard earned on a nice long day out back in my "home town", beer shopping beer lunch beer rugby beer dinner etc etc nothing to beat it !! I supppse I am not your typical modern punter/target audience/ optimal customer profile/demographic blah blah....

Awp24975
Awp24975 (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 16:30
Quote:
Optimist
I much prefer Friday evenings to Saturday afternoons. I'd be surprised if there aren't practically as many people who do .... anyone who plays or supports their local club, for example. Nor does it get in the way of kids' weekend sport. I like it because the atmosphere is miles better. And - for me - it's as good a night out as any ... better than the cinema/theatre, better than a restaurant. Just my perspective.

+1

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 16:38
The only choice those of us who don't (or can't) attend Friday p.m.matches is not to renew season tickets. Which is sad but heyho, the clubs will get their money fro the television companies so tbh, apart from less beer sold etc. they will not be out of pocket.

ShortyinBurnham
ShortyinBurnham (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 16:39
With where I work it is impossible for me to make Friday night games, so this just means that I will be unlikely to see any home games this year, apart from maybe The Clash.

But as this is completely out of the club's control, I'm not sure what we can do about it.

recman
recman (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 16:54
Quote:
Optimist

Well be surprised then.

Tell me, when Bath played every home league game on a Saturday afternoon about 7 years ago, was there any sort of clamour to get some games played on a Friday? I don't remember there being any such thing. Odd, that.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 17:01
I think that comes down to the status quo though. Who complains because they aren't able to do something they've never been able to do? Likewise people who have always been able to go on a Saturday will complain if that changes. it doesn't mean there more of one group or another or that either has a more valid complaint.

That said I do recall threads on here, and elsewhere, complaining that its impossible for people who actually play rugby to go and watch rugby because it is on a Saturday afternoon. It might of been along the lines of moving grass roots rugby to Friday or even moving the season to the summer, but it was certainly a comment that has been made.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 17:27
Quote:
BathMatt53
In relation to the Aviva premiership, the number of home Friday night games by club to date are:
worcs 5
sale 4
newcastle 3
glos 3
saints 2
bath 1 (Wasps, 29th December)
quins 1
exe 0
sarries 0
wasps 0
tigers 0
Irish 0

I think that we have done OK?
So what's the message here? If I conveniently ignore the ECC and AWC games that I've paid for, I'm good? So far this season, the number of home Friday night games playing a club starting with a H is 0! I dunno what everyone's complaining about.

Friday is fine for me but not preferred and it seems not for the vocal majority. The club is trying, but it seems that our paymasters aren't listening to our club as much as others. Maybe those who police our games could also refuse to work Friday nights?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 17:30
Quote:
recman

Well be surprised then.

Tell me, when Bath played every home league game on a Saturday afternoon about 7 years ago, was there any sort of clamour to get some games played on a Friday? I don't remember there being any such thing. Odd, that.

...and 7 years ago TV deals (and presumably TV revenues) were much smaller as a result.

The marquee player allowance also took effect in the 2012-13 season, when the salary cap also rose from £4million to £4.26million. So, one result of having games spread over the weekend and making the attractive viewing figures is that we get to watch some world class players come to the rec, like Beale and Charles Piutau next season as well as having had the privilege of watching Louw and TF run out in the BB&W.

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 17:35
I don't have a season ticket and could never make Friday night games, but at least if it's a Friday, it means it's on TV.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams
2018/9 Victor Delmas

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 17:36
I was quite surprised by that list. Yes its only the AP, but if there is representative then firstly its a lot of noise about not a lot and secondly we're hardly the worst club affected by it.

If you want to watch rugby on TV then its inevitable that we can't all play at the same time. On average, 6 games a week: one on a Friday, one on a Sunday, 4 on a Saturday. About 1/3rd of your games won't be on Saturday afternoon. I think that's the reality of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they took it a step further: one Friday night game, one Saturday lunchtime, one Saturday mid afternoon, on Sunday midday and one Sunday afternoon. As a player/TV watcher there's a lot that appeals to me about that. But it means we'll get 2 AP games a season on Saturday at 3pm.

Yorkie2
Yorkie2 (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 17:38
The figures given by BM above are listed and then I have updated to include those since the beginning of the year and those recently announced, it includes Euro and Anglo Welsh cup preliminaries but not the knock out games for these. Looking at the figures it is easily seen that some favour playing on certain days (eg Sale on Friday and Wasps on Sunday) so to show the effect of BT on the scheduling I have marked the number televised in each case

worcs 5 Updated 5 (2 televised
sale 4 8 (4
newcastle 3 5 (2
glos 3 5 (4 + 1 Thurs
saints 2 3 (3
bath 1 (Wasps, 29th December) 5 (5 10/11, 29/12, 12/1, 9/2, 23/3
quins 1 2 (2
exe 0 1 (0
sarries 0 0 (0
wasps 0 0 (0
tigers 0 1 (1
Irish 0 0 (0

I think that we have done OK? says BM, I would totally disagree and we are getting the rough end of the stick, a fair share yes but this is totally out of balance and I feel really does need addressing, neither does it reflect the number of Friday night away games, in our case 6.
It really does beg the question, are some clubs and their loyal supporters, being penalised at the expense of others. From examination of the figures it would seem they are.
I feel that if games are going to be televised then each club should have an equal number of Fri, Sat and Sun games on screen for this purpose.
I admit I do not like Friday games either home or away because of the late night, home after midnight, journeys or the extra expenses incurred by overnight hotels but would be happily prepared to accept these as part of a level playing field.
Enough said, a good result last Friday and a real pleasure to see a number of our younger players stepping up to the mark and yes I did attend the match even though it was away and on a Friday

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 17:38
Quote:
Rawce

So what's the message here? If I conveniently ignore the ECC and AWC games that I've paid for, I'm good? So far this season, the number of home Friday night games playing a club starting with a H is 0! I dunno what everyone's complaining about.

Friday is fine for me but not preferred and it seems not for the vocal majority. The club is trying, but it seems that our paymasters aren't listening to our club as much as others. Maybe those who police our games could also refuse to work Friday nights?

It was more that I couldn't be bothered to go through all the games all season to summarise them...but the ECC games are below.

Ulster 2
Scarlets 1
Glasgow 1
Bath 1 (friday 12th January)
no others.

So as bad as some, not as bad as others.

AWC

ospreys 2
blues 2
dragons 2
Worcs 1
bath 1 (Tigers, 10th November)
sale 1
gloucs 1
saints 1
scarlets 1

So as bad as some, not as bad as others.

We have had a total of 3 home Friday night games to date across all competitions.

Yorkie - the OP was concerned that he wanted more (not Bath) teams having Friday night games and that they should play somewhere else if they can't have them? I'm not sure this helps us at all as we would have to go somewhere else on a Friday night.

As for the future games being scheduled I'd guess that this is a symptom of our league position? I'm not sure what would be 'prime time' - Friday night? Sunday avo?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2018 17:43 by BathMatt53.

Benger_Boy
Benger_Boy (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 18:04
Quote:
DanWiley
That said I do recall threads on here, and elsewhere, complaining that its impossible for people who actually play rugby to go and watch rugby because it is on a Saturday afternoon. It might of been along the lines of moving grass roots rugby to Friday or even moving the season to the summer, but it was certainly a comment that has been made.

I've said it before, if you play, coach or are envolved in amateur senior rugby (or schools) then you can't watch most Saturday matches.

Moving grass routes matches to a Friday night is a non starter as there aren't enough floodlight pitches and getting players and officials (some refs travel a long way) available after work would be a struggle.
Moving the amateur season to the summer may be easier but far from ideal as pitches can be too hard and for some clubs the space is shared with summer sports like cricket.

Simply, you can't please all of the people all of the time. Fridays work for some and not others, same with Saturdays and Sundays. You either have mix so that noone is ever truly happy or cut out or you pick one day (not an option with TV) and please some people and completely cut out others.

For anyone needing a rugby fix on a Saturday why not pop down to your local amateur side when Bath aren't playing. They will appreciate the support.

Players wanted! Any one who wants to get into or back into rugby or just fancies the odd game for Sutton Benger RFC, PM me.

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 19:01
Personally I'm not against the occasional Friday but there are 7 in total so far this season. If I recall correctly the poll held last season said we all preferred Saturday but there was an even split between Friday and Sunday which the club would try to honour. Well that certainly hasn't happened 7 to 1 in favour of Friday. It is very short term thinking many young fans can't come on Friday night where is the next generation of fans coming from?

tboullem
Houghton Saint (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 20:13
We've been having this discussion on the Saints site for several years. I think most of us are sufficiently pragmatic to understand that some games will be televised on fridays and sundays. The problem lies in the fact that some clubs have different agendas and as a result the balance is all to cock.

We are told that Exeter and Sarries are prevented from playing at home on a friday night. We believe that Sale have decided that they prefer friday fixtures but clearly BT do not want to screen the Sharks every other friday. Wasps seem to like sundays, Irish have to accept second fiddle to Reading FC whilst the Falcons do not want to compete with Premiership Football just down the road. Without looking too closely at the stats from the last two or three years, it seems that Bath, Saints, Glaws and Wuss are the easy targets for BT. Somehow Quins and Tigers seem to miss out on friday nighters....friends in high places ?

Whilst I will always prefer saturday at three, I don't mind the odd friday night but a sense of balance is what is required from where I sit.

I also believe that Saints should only be allowed to visit The Rec on a warm sunny saturday afternoon in September or April but I guess the next month rather scuppers that theory !

Be gentle with us on friday.........

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 20:19
The club donít give a **** about when games are played as they assume, probably correctly, that their revenues will continue to be uneffected. I do give a *** about being sold a product I canít use so decided a while back not to renew after 15+ years as an ST holder. I go to the game with 4 others that may take the same view and I expect there are others equally hacked off.

The argument about the clubs not having control over TV scheduling is spurious as the clubs ultimately own the pro rugby product in England and negotiate the deal with the TV companies.

40 Mile
40 Mile (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 20:28
I like the atmosphere of Friday nights and watching in floodlight but I don't like the logistics.

My 12 year old son and I both have season tickets but it clashes with U13s rugby training on a Friday (he plays, I coach). We have no option but to train on a Friday as all 4 coaches are unavailable Mon to Thurs due to other work and peronsal commitments. Unfortunately, this also limits watching Bath on a Sundsy as the 13s may be playing in a remote part of Devon with an 11.30 KO. I fully understand its our choice but Saturday's, whilst not ideal, are more convenient.

TG Kesmo raises a good point regarding young fans but future fans don't pay the clubs bills in the present.

You can't please all the people all the time!!

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 20:34
A cold wet Friday night with more than an hour's travelling to get home is a pretty gloomy way to spend an evening.

I'm sure I speak for many.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 20:35
Quote:
40 mile
You can't please all the people all the time!!

Very true. However you can please more people by being fair with the recheduling, half on Friday, half on Sunday ... just like the club said they would do last year.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 21:28
Is a cold wet Saturday with the same journey much better?

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

06 February, 2018 22:32
Quote:
DanWiley
Is a cold wet Saturday with the same journey much better?

Very much. On a Sat afternoon I get home by 6.30 and at reasonable dinner time.

On Fri night I get back after 11 pm. Difficult driving in a tired state.

How does it affect you?

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 07:01
I work Monday to Friday away from Bath which makes the journey back to Bath in time for a 7.45 kickoff difficult to impossible based on circumstances. Also takes beer off the table due to the need to drive.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 07:39
Quote:
Benger_Boy
Simply, you can't please all of the people all of the time. Fridays work for some and not others, same with Saturdays and Sundays.

This just about sums it up perfectly I would say.

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 07:58
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Benger_Boy
Simply, you can't please all of the people all of the time. Fridays work for some and not others, same with Saturdays and Sundays.

Nobody is saying no Fridays we are just asking for a fair split as was indicated by the club's poll, which I was not allowed a vote in as despite numerous attempts I cannot get on the emailing list. The club indicated that they would opt for a fair is how split they should have been clearer that this wasn't going to happen. Friday nights are not nearly as enjoyable if you have to drive because there is no public transport option and therefore no beer!

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 08:43
"How does it affect you?"

Not a season ticket holder, so I'm not signed up to games in advance, but I find them different experiences with pluses and minuses. In general, quite happy with the variety.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 08:51
Quote:
TG Kesmo
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Benger_Boy

Nobody is saying no Fridays we are just asking for a fair split as was indicated by the club's poll, which I was not allowed a vote in as despite numerous attempts I cannot get on the emailing list. The club indicated that they would opt for a fair is how split they should have been clearer that this wasn't going to happen. Friday nights are not nearly as enjoyable if you have to drive because there is no public transport option and therefore no beer!

Bath rugby are accountable for many things that are wrong, but Friday night games isn't one of them. TV is totally in charge and clubs are dependant on the money so have to do as they're told.

Is beer really that important? Personally I go to watch a game of rugby and ideally see Bath win. The result is all that affects my mood and the day the game is played is largely irrelevant (although I do prefer Saturday afternoon).

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 09:33
Bath Rugby are founding shareholders of Premiership Rugby and our owner is one of the loudest voices in English domestic rugby. To say we are completely beholden to the TV companies is clearly absurd. We may be contractually tied now but we will certainly have influence at the next contract negotiations.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 11:25
"clubs are dependant on the money so have to do as they're told."

This is often repeated, but is it actually true? Yes, a big chunk of money comes from TV. But and equally big chunk of money comes from the RFU, advertising and, indeed, tickets and match day sales.

IF moving to a Friday put that many off from coming the club would equally be beholden to the fans as the TV. The problem with these complaints is that it seems that Fridays don't actually put off that many from coming, at any rate the club doesn't get that much less money as a result (STHs may not come, but they get the ticket money regardless). It probably broadens the club's fan base.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 11:27
Quote:
DanWiley
"How does it affect you?"
Not a season ticket holder, so I'm not signed up to games in advance, but I find them different experiences with pluses and minuses. In general, quite happy with the variety.

My belief is that you live some distance from Bath. How often do you chose to come to a Fri night game?

I suspect it comes under the Ďtoo difficultí heading.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 11:31
I had actually missed the text in relation to the semi:

[www.bathrugby.com]

Our clear preference for hosting the game was Saturday afternoon, but unfortunately the Club did not have the option of staging it on either Saturday 10th or Sunday 11th March. There is no available Saturday afternoon slot due to the two 6 Nations matches taking place, and Sunday is not available as Exeter Chiefs (the other home Semi-Finalists) are unable to play on Friday nights, which is a requirement from Devon and Cornwall Police due to their proximity to the motorway.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 11:37
"My belief is that you live some distance from Bath."

Depends on what you call some distance, about 10 miles. Getting in on a Friday is broadly comparable to a Saturday (less traffic, possibly fewer options). I go to broadly the same number of Friday and Saturday games. I don't recall the last time I went on a Sunday.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 11:56
Fine. I thought you lived more than an hour away.

Yorkie2
Yorkie2 (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 12:17
Am I surprised NO
Am I surprised at the press release from the club NO
am I p....d off VERY
We yet again are being shafted by the powers that be, no choice it would appear
YOU WILL do as you are told
Perhaps should we get a new ground the local constabulary should say no Friday night fixtures.
OK I am being somewhat facetious but isn't it about time we got a fair crack of the whip?
That is all I ask is it too much
At least the final is a Sunday!!!!

Tomato Soup
Tomato Soup (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 12:50
Friday nights are causing me stress and anxiety.

Dear Bath Rugby please can you arrange for me to go to Toulon to get my head together and perhaps a few euros.

I promise that I will come back and tell all of my friends what a good time I had. No doubt I will be refreshed and ready for a fresh challenge.

Thanks - Loyal paying customer of 15 seasons of rebuilding.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 12:55
Im not in the habit of throwing my toys out of the pram and saying Im not going to renew, after all who cares, someone else will have mine, but it's getting harder to justify it - I've had mine since 2008.

Friday nights (only made 1)
General lack of direction/progress - minus the blip
Clash (not really important, just like another Friday really)
Son's A level year

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 13:16
Quote:
woodpecker
this Friday isnt TX

yes it is.

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 13:29
hmm I dont think it was, I asked tarquin, maybe he listened

Posted!

In west open just outside 10M line

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2018 13:33 by woodpecker.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 13:33
Just listed one of my two seats.

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 13:47
Quote:
TCM2007
Just listed one of my two seats.

So it changed right? Is that a new thing I thought it was binary, maybe they sold the seats they had?

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 15:19
This is what you get if you buy a Premiership football ticket from a well known table topping club ...

Following confirmation from the Premier League on 24th January, please be aware that having previously been scheduled for Saturday 3rd March, the Premier League home match against Chelsea FC will now be played on Sunday 4th March, kick off 4pm.

What if I can no longer attend?
ē general admission supporters can claim a full refund up to 7 days prior to the match. You can view the terms and conditions of purchase here.

If Bath did this it would restore my confidence in buying an ST as the club would be taking the risk of ST holder not being able to attend having been messed about on dates. It might also encourage the club to push back on the TV companies if they were impacted by ST holder no shows that they couldn't resell.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Friday night games
07 February, 2018 16:04
You can already trade in (i.e. re-sell) your ticket - that's what I have had to do previously for Sunday games and also what I did with the Clash last year. For every person who doesn't want a Friday game, there will be people who are happy to snap them up. Or alternatively get a friendly season ticket holder to buy you a ticket when you want one instead of a ST? Or give them to a friend. There are so many options available!

Last year Bath were over-subscribed for STs, I'm sure they will be next year too. They don't have to beg people to come.

(I'm pretty sure that Man City don't have a problem re-selling at a premium either, so it probably suits them).

annie blackthorn

07 February, 2018 17:16
Bath Matt = I claim my prize as identifying the most toadying supporter ever.

If you sell your ticket back to the club because you cannot get or do not want to go to a Friday night match, you do not get the full market value. The club will probably sell it for more than you paid as a season ticket holder. And you have to wait until the end of the season to get your dosh.
Do get honest with your o so helpful defence of the club and its money men.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 17:22
Quote:
annie blackthorn
Bath Matt = I claim my prize as identifying the most toadying supporter ever.
If you sell your ticket back to the club because you cannot get or do not want to go to a Friday night match, you do not get the full market value. The club will probably sell it for more than you paid as a season ticket holder. And you have to wait until the end of the season to get your dosh.
Do get honest with your o so helpful defence of the club and its money men.

I thought that you basically get a pro-rata for what you paid for it, which is a lot less than the standalone ticket price, which is huge, but I could be wrong as Ive never done the maths

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 17:29
Lol Annie, been called plenty of things (lots far worse as I'm sure you can well imagine) but never 'toadying' before. Just because I didn't say that Tarquin is the devil incarnate?

My view is similar to a few above, yes its inconvenient when dates don't suit us for whatever reason but we can choose whether to go or not and there are other options. I, like others refuse to get too annoyed by it because there are 14000-odd people to arrange games around and it won't be great for everyone.

Yours, always

Mr Toad

[Yes that's right Woodpecker otherwise you could buy a ST and sell each game back at a profit]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2018 17:33 by BathMatt53.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 17:34
You get a pro rata amount back if the club opens the game up to Ticket Exchange and if they can resell the ticket. My understanding is that the club take no risk if the ticket isn't sold and make a tidy profit if it is. As Annie says you also don't get cash back but you do get a credit off next year's ST. All in all the footy approach is much better for the supporter.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 18:04
My Friday night travel involves train and a half hour drive afterwards, with a return home at 0.45am at the earliest!

I have over the years, especially when working, have made many mad dashes across the country to get to support the BB& W, as no doubt many others have and do today.

However, this proliferation of Friday night games, followed by the commercialism of the Clash, is beginning to really grate with me. I understand one or two clubs cannot play on a Friday night, but why cannot we play on a Sunday instead? I believe we have and will have played more Friday night games than last year when the club promised to put a stop to it. Lets hope a condition of our planning application for the new Rec is a clause saying we are banned from playing on a Friday night. That concession to planning I and many others would go along with.

Bruce you are on the board of Prem rugby, so please give this some priority.

tboullem

07 February, 2018 19:39
In a quiet moment, I have put together some stats for the last five seasons - have a look at the Saints site for the facts !!!

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 21:19
Quote:
Beergoggles
The club donít give a **** about when games are played as they assume, probably correctly, that their revenues will continue to be uneffected. I do give a *** about being sold a product I canít use so decided a while back not to renew after 15+ years as an ST holder. I go to the game with 4 others that may take the same view and I expect there are others equally hacked off.
The argument about the clubs not having control over TV scheduling is spurious as the clubs ultimately own the pro rugby product in England and negotiate the deal with the TV companies.

Can't agree that clubs don't give a toss. Whilst TV money is clearly the number one priority, TR complained to EPRC last season as we kept getting Sun 5pm games. He claimed Exeter Chiefs had lost £400K last season having hosted 3 home games with Sun 5.30pm KOs in the EPRC, compared to a normal Sat 3pm KO.
Anyway, gives you an indication of the revenue made by food and drink sales on only a 10-12k attendance, albeit Exeter do get a bigger take from bars and catering compared to most grounds due to location, and the offering they provide (bars open until late etc).

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 23:10
Well played Tony Rowe. I said Bath didn't give a *****, obviously Exe do.

MESSAGES->author
Bathbadger (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 23:54
Quote:
fatheralice
Quote:
Beergoggles

Can't agree that clubs don't give a toss. Whilst TV money is clearly the number one priority, TR complained to EPRC last season as we kept getting Sun 5pm games. He claimed Exeter Chiefs had lost £400K last season having hosted 3 home games with Sun 5.30pm KOs in the EPRC, compared to a normal Sat 3pm KO.
Anyway, gives you an indication of the revenue made by food and drink sales on only a 10-12k attendance, albeit Exeter do get a bigger take from bars and catering compared to most grounds due to location, and the offering they provide (bars open until late etc).

I guess not being able to play Fridays due to Devon and Cornwall Police restrictions hasn't helped either, and which is why our Semi Final in the AW Cup is on the Friday, so you can play on the Sunday.

Cheers,

Rich

Yorkie2
Yorkie2 (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 08:49
For information the data at the end is transposed from the Northampton Saints Board and relates only to Premiership games
Add in the A/W Cup and Euro matches (including Thursdays) this look somewhat or even totally out of balance.
We've heard many excuses and reasons from lots of sources but regardless I still feel Bath Rugby are being forced to host far too many Friday night fixtures

As a matter of interest about Exeter Chiefs what is the difference between a Friday night and the later starts on a Saturday and Sunday, both when the floodlights are on, surely on both these days the ground is still in the same proximity of the motorway.

I together with many others understand that in the days of the money masters of broadcasting that rescheduling of fixtures is necessary and are prepared to accept a level playing field, that all clubs are allocated an even number of Fri, Sat and Sun fixtures. That way it is a fair distribution and we know exactly what to expect and what we will get over the course of the season.
If the status quo is allowed then we can look forward to at least six or seven Friday fixtures over the next and subsequent seasons.

Mr Craig and Mr McDonald will you please listen to what many of your long standing and loyal supporters are saying and act accordingly. Enough is enough!!

"Games played on a monday or tuesday during the festive period are counted as a sunday game.
Round 21 of this seasons games are not included as they have not been confirmed - all Round 22 are on a saturday as usual.

CLUB. TOTAL HOME GAMES. FRIDAY. SATURDAY. SUNDAY.

BATH. Games 55. Friday 17. Saturday 35. Sunday 3.
BRISTOL. 11. 5. 1. 5.
EXETER. 54. 0. 39. 15.
GLOUCESTER. 54. 12. 38. 4.
HARLEQUINS. 55. 14. 35. 6.
LEICESTER. 54. 3. 32. 19.
LONDON IRISH. 43. 1. 23. 19.
LONDON WELSH. 11. 1. 3. 7.
NEWCASTLE. 55. 20. 10. 25.
NORTHAMPTON. 55. 16. 36. 3.
SALE. 55. 24. 23. 8.
SARACENS. 55. 0. 38. 15.
WASPS. 54. 0. 21. 33.
WORCESTER. 43. 12. 23. 8.

A few points to bear in mind:

We know that Saracens cannot play at home on a friday due to planning restrictions.
We believe that Exeter cannot play at home on a friday due to local traffic police policy.
Sale have now decided that their preference is for friday home fixtures.
Newcastle are heavily influenced by the proximity of Newcastle United FC.
London Irish, Sale and Wasps groundshare with football clubs."

tboullem

08 February, 2018 09:04
Just for clarity, the figures reproduced above, I collated for a span of five seasons including the current campaign.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 09:27
Anybody care to look up the results when we play on a Friday evening? Usually i can't remember by the following morning as a result of over-indulging. Which makes it a bit of win-win for the Club even when they lose lose.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 09:45
Tiny pedantic note, Sale share with a rugby league club, not a football club. The seasons don't overlap as much.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 09:48
Quote:
Yorkie2

Mr Craig and Mr McDonald will you please listen to what many of your long standing and loyal supporters are saying and act accordingly. Enough is enough!!

...and as many of your long standing and loyal (although admittedly not as vocal) supporters who are saying that its fine, they like Friday games because they aren't like watching a game in a morgue and that you don't need to act accordingly.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 11:33
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Yorkie2

...and as many of your long standing and loyal (although admittedly not as vocal) supporters who are saying that its fine, they like Friday games because they aren't like watching a game in a morgue and that you don't need to act accordingly.

Supporter survey last year expressed strong preference for Saturday games and an equal split for Fri and Sun games where that is not possible.

Expressing a preference for Friday games as the 'atmosphere is better' is a bit selfish when the counter argument is that supporters can't attend the games at all.

IMHO atmosphere is a function of the quality of rugby on show, how well Bath are doing, how much alcohol the crowd as a whole has drunk, and how much alcohol the individual has drunk. Not convinced that any of the first three are a feature of Friday games but perhaps the last item is for certain individuals.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 11:41
Last year in the survey I favoured Sunday over Friday. This year son is in Colts and the games are a 1 o clock KO Sunday.

I handn't thought of this as there havent been many Sunday games

I refer myself to my earlier post about doubts on renewing and add this one to the list..

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 11:43
Its interesting that the word 'selfish' is used - the whole thread appears to be about how people don't like Friday because it is inconvenient for them. They want it changed to a day which may be inconvenient for others, but that's ok? If next year there were lots of Sundays and fewer Fridays that would be a pain for me as I couldn't make them, but so be it.

If I could make all games on all days, I would definitely say Saturday, then Friday if necessary, then Sunday in terms of atmosphere. If beer makes the crowd a bit noisier on a Friday and not like an extension of the Sunday morning church service as is often the case at the Rec, then bring it on I say. Having Scarlets at the rec and them making more noise with 1/10th the people (even before the game) is a bit embarrassing IMO.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 11:55
The post is about wanting a fair spread across Fri and Sun if Sat isn't an option. Pretty much all rescheduled games being played on a Fri isn't a fair spread. Not being able to get to games because they are played on a Friday is very very inconvenient.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 12:03
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Yorkie2

+1

Prefer Saturday's, but Friday night is the only time when the Rec transforms from a library atmosphere to something almost resembling a vocal crowd.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 12:44
We get it. You prefer the atmosphere on s Friday to that on a a Saturday or a Sunday. However the OP and others posting on the original topic prefer going to the rugby over not going to the rugby.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 12:58
Quote:
Beergoggles
We get it. You prefer the atmosphere on s Friday to that on a a Saturday or a Sunday. However the OP and others posting on the original topic prefer going to the rugby over not going to the rugby.

Yes, if you cant go, the atmosphere at the rec isn't so important

Poking With Sticks
Poking With Sticks (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 13:35
Quote:
Yorkie2
As a matter of interest about Exeter Chiefs what is the difference between a Friday night and the later starts on a Saturday and Sunday, both when the floodlights are on, surely on both these days the ground is still in the same proximity of the motorway.

Specifically I'd guess it's the volume of traffic on a Friday night as people tend to be on their way to Devon and Cornwall for holidays or because they live there at weekends. The rush there would coincide almost exactly with match time.

MESSAGES->author
Bathbadger (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 18:27
Just been on the ticket site - lots of empty spaces for tomorrows game - and thats including the ST holders they expect to arrive. I wonder how the atmosphere will be?

Cheers,

Rich

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 18:45
Quote:
Bathbadger
Just been on the ticket site - lots of empty spaces for tomorrows game - and thats including the ST holders they expect to arrive. I wonder how the atmosphere will be?

Spaces probably indicative of Bath's poor home form than the fact it's Friday. Will probably end up noisier than a Saturday thought.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 19:31
22 Premiership weeks, so 22 Friday night games to televise. Exeter, Sarries, Wasps and Leicester basically donít do Fridays for various reasons, so 22 games split between 8 sides means youíd expect to get 3 a season. This season we have had/will have... 3.

Of the three European games, one was on a Friday. Which is what youíd expect given the even Fi/Sat/Sun split.

Anglo-Welsh will always have a lot of Friday nights, because itís a filler competition for international weekends so by definition wonít be played on Saturday afternoons when those internationals are on. So 2 out of 3 on Fridays is not surprising.

So in terms of home games, Iím struggling to see an issue with disproportionate Fridays?

It may be perceived as more though because weíve had a lot of Friday away games as well?

Stuart

Former ed.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 21:12
Quote:
TCM2007
22 Premiership weeks, so 22 Friday night games to televise. Exeter, Sarries, Wasps and Leicester basically donít do Fridays for various reasons, so 22 games split between 8 sides means youíd expect to get 3 a season. This season we have had/will have... 3

No, any fair minded person would expect all 12 teams to share the load. Why on earth should we pick up the slack for Tigers, Wasps, Exeter, and Saracens ?

Quote:
TCM2007
Of the three European games, one was on a Friday. Which is what youíd expect given the even Fi/Sat/Sun split.

No. There is one TV slot on Friday, 3 on Sat, 2 on Sunday so youíd expect on average 1 in 6 assuming all games televised. Actually less because of Red button games etc.

Quote:
TCM2007
Anglo-Welsh will always have a lot of Friday nights, because itís a filler competition for international weekends so by definition wonít be played on Saturday afternoons when those internationals are on. So 2 out of 3 on Fridays is not surprising.

There are are 8 AW games played each weekend and only one game has to played on a Friday night to satisfy TV.

The club last surveyed the supporters and were told that supporters would like a 50:50 split between Fri and Sun when games have to be rescheduled. This year we have 1:6 split which is why those that struggle with Fridays are a bit miffed.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 12:43
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:
TCM2007
22 Premiership weeks, so 22 Friday night games to televise. Exeter, Sarries, Wasps and Leicester basically donít do Fridays for various reasons, so 22 games split between 8 sides means youíd expect to get 3 a season. This season we have had/will have... 3

No, any fair minded person would expect all 12 teams to share the load. Why on earth should we pick up the slack for Tigers, Wasps, Exeter, and Saracens ?

Because they are variously barred by police and/or local authorities from playing on Fridays. It's unfortunate, but not anyone's fault.

Quote:
Quote:
TCM2007

No. There is one TV slot on Friday, 3 on Sat, 2 on Sunday so youíd expect on average 1 in 6 assuming all games televised. Actually less because of Red button games etc.

We had three home games, one was on a Friday. Hardly evidence of a massive unfairness.

Quote:
Quote:
TCM2007

There are are 8 AW games played each weekend and only one game has to played on a Friday night to satisfy TV.

In round four, 5 out 8 AW games were played on a Friday. Only one was televised.

Stuart

Former ed.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 13:27
The fact that Wasps, Sarries, Exe, and Tigers are unable to to meet their TV obligations and play on a Friday shouldn't mean that Bath are disproportionately impacted. That was pretty much the point of the OP.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 13:31
Quote:
Beergoggles
The fact that Wasps, Sarries, Exe, and Tigers are unable to to meet their TV obligations and play on a Friday shouldn't mean that Bath are disproportionately impacted. That was pretty much the point of the OP.

When we're back in the Challenge cup next season we could have some Thursday games so that'll solve the Friday night problem... :-)

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 13:52
The commute on a Thursday to Krasnoyarsk is a real pain*, but the atmosphere is fantastic!

[* Aeroflot to Yemelyanovo International Airport via Moscow?]

recman
recman (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 14:25
Quote:
FourSticks
The last three Friday night matches at the Rec
Leicester (AW). 14,354. (99%)
Wasps (AP). 14,509 (100%)
Scarlets (CC). 13,822. (96%)

Seems that we can moan about the number of Friday night matches, but that does not translate to any discernible drop in attendance figures. Until that happens, Bath will not do anything about addressing any perceived imbalance in match days.

Was it another Friday night sellout last night?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 14:47
13015 attendance, so not too far off. I suspect that quite a bit was due to a lack of Saints fans, there seemed hardly any there. I assume that is a reflection of their league position? As busy as ever on the terraces.

annie blackthorn

10 February, 2018 14:58
The figure from the club will include season ticket holders - whether they attended or not, like myself. But don't let facts get in the way of your glass nearly full to overflowing mentality.

Saints support - I thought from viewing from the sofa, that there were a goodly number of green and yellow support, considering all things.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 15:08
Lots of empty seats round us last night must have been ST holders.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 15:10
I suspect the attendance figure only includes ST holders that turn up given we are scanned in.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 15:27
Have no idea, 13015 was the figure stated on the Bath Rugby website.

On a separate note I would rather be an optimistic type than embittered and unable to find positives in ANYTHING to do with the club that I support. Life's too short to be miserable and paying to be miserable is one stop short of beating yourself with birch twigs. IMO of course.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 17:52
Plenty of room in the terrace behind the goal following my 2 hour dash from Surrey. Friday night fatigue setting in ?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 17:58
Yes, in the blue areas too, the ends of the various stands. The only thing fatiguing is the endless whining tbh. I assume it will happen after every game? Fabulous.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 00:02
Quote:
BathMatt53
The only thing fatiguing is the endless whining tbh. I assume it will happen after every game? Fabulous.

This is real life Matt53 and this effects people in tangible ways. This isnít complaining about our lock not being strong enough, or our scrum half not providing good service, or whether our coach knows what heís doing. This is real people complaining about not being able to get to games theyíre passionate about and they've paid for, having to drive 100 miles through the Friday evening traffic just to get to the game on time, missing out on one of the main social events of the week. If you live close to Bath and it doesn't impact you other than deciding which day of the week you fancy a strolll into the Rec then lucky you.

recman
recman (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 15:51
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:
BathMatt53
The only thing fatiguing is the endless whining tbh. I assume it will happen after every game? Fabulous.

This is real life Matt53 and this effects people in tangible ways. This isnít complaining about our lock not being strong enough, or our scrum half not providing good service, or whether our coach knows what heís doing. This is real people complaining about not being able to get to games theyíre passionate about and they've paid for, having to drive 100 miles through the Friday evening traffic just to get to the game on time, missing out on one of the main social events of the week. If you live close to Bath and it doesn't impact you other than deciding which day of the week you fancy a strolll into the Rec then lucky you.

Well said indeed. I can get to Friday night games, but it's a far less relaxed and enjoyable experience than going to Saturday games, and if the 22.03 train back to Swindon is late (it always is, it's just a matter of how late) it can be a stressful experience hoping that the train will get me back in time for the last bus.

MESSAGES->author
Bathbadger (IP Logged)

12 February, 2018 23:43
Covered on tonights Talk Sport 2 Rugby Podcast Here at about -32

Cheers,

Rich

jasiepoohs
jasiepoohs (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 18:05
I have been a member/ season ticket holder for over 30 years.I am NOT planning to renew next season and this is a major contributory reason.
Others include:
Disgraceful treatment of Matt Banahan
The berk on the PA who makes every visit to The Rec a feat of endurance
The increasing number of drunken hoorays who seem to think it's a good idea to pay £50 to turn up late, go to and from the bars/loos countless times and generally be pains in the a**e.

Not a definitive list, but good enough as an example.

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 18:29
Quote:
jasiepoohs
The increasing number of drunken hoorays who seem to think it's a good idea to pay £50 to turn up late, go to and from the bars/loos countless times and generally be pains in the a**e.

As an occasional visitor to the Rec (and never on a Friday) I'm 100% with you on this one.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams
2018/9 Victor Delmas

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 February, 2018 14:28
Dan Evans said yesterday that he will be writing an article soon on the match days (i.e. why we got loads of fridays) once he has had a full response from all the various parties.

As an aside, the £50 comment above, I was looking at additional tickets for the East (i.e. open stand) for the Exe game and they were on the ticket website at £70 (yes £70) each! Near the middle of the pitch but, crikey, as a terrace stander this made me queasy...

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

14 February, 2018 14:51
Quote:
Bathbadger

Most telling point was the waiting list for season tickets at Bath, if someone doesn't renew because of too many Friday night games they won't be missed as there's plenty of people who like Friday games who will happily take their ticket.

At the end of the day not a battle worth fighting as it's not going to change so is just a waste of energy.

MESSAGES->author
Bathbadger (IP Logged)

14 February, 2018 14:59
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
Bathbadger

Most telling point was the waiting list for season tickets at Bath, if someone doesn't renew because of too many Friday night games they won't be missed as there's plenty of people who like Friday games who will happily take their ticket.

At the end of the day not a battle worth fighting as it's not going to change so is just a waste of energy.

There may be people waiting to take ST's now, but what if/when we have an 18,000 seater stadium? Its not a wasted effort either IMHO, Jons previous similar campaign for the Euro Final at Cardiff got an extra 400 seats put in to accomdate more tickets. Since the petition and appearing on Talksport hes had fruitful and postive conversations with both Tarquin and Premiership Rugby. There is another radio spot and article in the Chronicle yet to come. If it only makes a slight difference, if it maks sure Prem Rugby have this in the back of their minds when scheduling with broadcasters, its most definetly not a waste of time. Rather than bleat and moan about it, he got of his wotsit and did something proactive.

Cheers,

Rich

jonniejon
jonniejon (IP Logged)

14 February, 2018 15:17
Just to add to Rich's comments I had a very fruitful conversation with Tarquin and that very point was discussed, he does not want any supporter or ST holder to feel disfranchised, he does not see them as being replaceable and he does not want anyone to go. The club obviously made representation on the views from last season's poll to the various stakeholders but it's a complex issue as we all know and there are 11 other teams battling it out as well. I have also had a long conversation with Premiership rugby where we debated the whole issue and to a degree went round in circles however from this discussion I was asked what Bath wanted and my answer to that was an equitable split compared to other teams, whilst they weren't able to make any promises he did say that he would make the decision makers aware of the feelings of some supporters down in Bath known. Will it accomplish anything.... who knows.... but inaction and just moaning about it certainly won't.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/02/2018 15:24 by jonniejon.

MESSAGES->author
Bathbadger (IP Logged)

14 February, 2018 15:21
Quote:
jonniejon
Just to add to Rich's comments I had a very fruitful conversation with Tarquin ant that very point was discussed, he does not want any supporter or ST holder to feel disfranchised, he does not see them as being replaceable and he does not want anyone to go. The club obviously made representation on the views from last season's poll to the various stakeholders but it's a complex issue as we all know and there are 11 other teams battling it out as well. I have also had a long conversation with Premiership rugby where debated the whole issue and to a degree went round in circles however from this discussion I was asked what Bath wanted and my answer to that was an equitable split compared to other teams, whilst they weren't able to make any promises he did say that he would make the decision makers aware of the feelings of some supporters down in Bath known. Will it accomplish anything.... who knows.... but inaction and just moaning about it certainly won't.

Probably need to hire a bus and paint it on side! winking smiley

Cheers,

Rich

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net