rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

westondave
WestonDave (IP Logged)

Re: Fed up with an unequal split of Friday night games
14 February, 2018 15:46
Quote:
Bathbadger
Quote:
jonniejon
Just to add to Rich's comments I had a very fruitful conversation with Tarquin ant that very point was discussed, he does not want any supporter or ST holder to feel disfranchised, he does not see them as being replaceable and he does not want anyone to go. The club obviously made representation on the views from last season's poll to the various stakeholders but it's a complex issue as we all know and there are 11 other teams battling it out as well. I have also had a long conversation with Premiership rugby where debated the whole issue and to a degree went round in circles however from this discussion I was asked what Bath wanted and my answer to that was an equitable split compared to other teams, whilst they weren't able to make any promises he did say that he would make the decision makers aware of the feelings of some supporters down in Bath known. Will it accomplish anything.... who knows.... but inaction and just moaning about it certainly won't.

Probably need to hire a bus and paint it on side! winking smiley

Maybe not a bus but potentially some appropriate banners/Tshirts/hats etc on display during televised games might make life "interesting" for BT trying to show the game without showing critical comment of themselves.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

14 February, 2018 16:08
Should also take into account what the players want. There was a comment that Friday night atmosphere is better than drab Sunday's.

Personally I couldn't care less, I can go any day. However I suspect BT like seeing the Friday night backdrop of Bath and we'll continue to have a lot more Friday's than Sunday.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

recman
recman (IP Logged)

14 February, 2018 17:15
Quote:
OutsideBath
Should also take into account what the players want. There was a comment that Friday night atmosphere is better than drab Sunday's.
Personally I couldn't care less, I can go any day. However I suspect BT like seeing the Friday night backdrop of Bath and we'll continue to have a lot more Friday's than Sunday.

Yes, they often reel out the clichéd "Friday night under the lights at the Rec; it doesn't get better than this" line at the start of BT's Friday game coverage.

The arguments on all sides are well known. Although it must be said that some of those advocated here are just bonkers ("I prefer Fridays therefore half the crowd probably do as well"). It'll just come down to a battle of wills.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 February, 2018 17:32
Quote:
recman
Although it must be said that some of those advocated here are just bonkers ("I prefer Fridays therefore half the crowd probably do as well"). It'll just come down to a battle of wills.

I think that it was agreed that the vast majority prefer Saturdays. If Bath can't play on a Saturday then the split was even between Friday and Sunday. So, the fact that half the crowd prefer Fridays (if not Saturdays) seems to be contentious. The other half prefer Sundays (if not Saturdays).

The Talksport interview / discussion was interesting. Good for the OP bringing it up as an issue when it is clearly a problem for some people to get there, unfortunately with a few teams not able to play on Fridays I would be surprised if there was much change for the remaining teams next year.

I guess we will see.

recman
recman (IP Logged)

14 February, 2018 18:12
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
recman
Although it must be said that some of those advocated here are just bonkers ("I prefer Fridays therefore half the crowd probably do as well"). It'll just come down to a battle of wills.

I think that it was agreed that the vast majority prefer Saturdays. If Bath can't play on a Saturday then the split was even between Friday and Sunday. So, the fact that half the crowd prefer Fridays (if not Saturdays) seems to be contentious. The other half prefer Sundays (if not Saturdays).

The Talksport interview / discussion was interesting. Good for the OP bringing it up as an issue when it is clearly a problem for some people to get there, unfortunately with a few teams not able to play on Fridays I would be surprised if there was much change for the remaining teams next year.

I guess we will see.

The bonkers assertion by the way, was

Quote:
I much prefer Friday evenings to Saturday afternoons. I'd be surprised if there aren't practically as many people who do

I'm in the "can make it on Friday or Sunday but vastly prefer Saturday" camp.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

14 February, 2018 18:48
"I think that it was agreed that the vast majority prefer Saturdays. "

Yes, but that was basically asking people who go on a Saturday would they like to change. There's always going to be a lot who say "no".

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

14 February, 2018 21:11
I thought the Rec quieter than usual last Friday. It only warmed up when we decided to start playing decently.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

15 February, 2018 09:41
I'm sure the club are having their hand forced on this, but the least they/Prem Rugby/BT Sport could do is co-ordinate more transport for Friday evening games.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

15 February, 2018 10:09
Do you know what? We might as well all whistle into the wind for all the good expressing our opinions influences the mgt of Bath Rugby.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

rainbow
rainbow (IP Logged)

15 February, 2018 11:23
Quite correct a b the club despite their assertions that they always have the supporter in mind will follow the money trail.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

15 February, 2018 11:30
Quote:
Rawce
I thought the Rec quieter than usual last Friday. It only warmed up when we decided to start playing decently.

True Rawce, although I think reluctance to be "told" when and what to cheer is growing at the moment.

In my part of the ground most opinion is that the announcer is an embarrassment and people are showing that by keeping quiet.

PG

P G Tips

Paul Grant: my adopted Player, 2017-18.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

15 February, 2018 12:08
Agree, all the artificial stuff will struggle to take hold. All of the proposed chants and songs rarely take off. It's when it happens organically that it sticks "oh Roko dun goo nee" being the best example. The BBW Clap one might have legs, as at least the club are trying a bit of co-ordination on it, but we're a cynical bunch at the Rec and mostly driven by what we see on the pitch.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

15 February, 2018 12:15
Yes, agree with that Rawce, the problem is Roko and Banners chants only last while they are in the first team squad. If they are injured or worse, transfered, then what is the chant?

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

15 February, 2018 12:21
Yeah, Roko's injury hasn't helped continuity there has it? Not much point investing in a Banners chant either unless we want to use it next season as a dig at our own club, which is a bit of a s**t-our-own-bed protest.

MESSAGES->author
Bathbadger (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 09:03
it will be discussed again tonight on Radio Br*zz in Friday Night sport

Cheers,

Rich

MESSAGES->author
Bathbadger (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 09:11
Quote:
Bathbadger
it will be discussed again tonight on Radio Br*zz in Friday Night sport

Friday night sport link - about 7 minutes in

Cheers,

Rich

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

20 February, 2018 15:59
[www.bathchronicle.co.uk]

Have Bath Rugby had too many Friday night matches at the Rec this season?

Todd isn't keen either.

Tarquin:

“The response from supporters was broadly split between Fridays and Sundays, however there was a very strong desire among near neighbours to the Rec to limit the number of games played on a Sunday.

“Local residents are significantly impacted by our games, yet they broadly remain very supportive both of the club and our ambitions to redevelop at the Rec.

“After taking into account all considerations, our stated intent was that, where a fixture was required to be moved from Saturday, one in three of these would be hosted on a Sunday.

“During the 2017/18 season we have only been able to host one moved fixture on a Sunday. We are discussing with Premiership Rugby and EPCR how this can be addressed fairly in future seasons, along with working to manage the spread of moved fixtures.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

20 February, 2018 16:03
Wot, no mention of trying to coordinate with Arsenal's home games?

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

20 February, 2018 21:54
Quote:
Woodpecker

I hope not,
. Thursday night games are the worst (Sm100)

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

20 February, 2018 22:31
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:
Woodpecker

I hope not,
. Thursday night games are the worst (Sm100)

HA! Nicely played.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

22 March, 2018 14:20
On the upside, I have £238 in my account from TX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/03/2018 08:52 by woodpecker.

jasiepoohs
jasiepoohs (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 07:23
Just to reiterate, I am not renewing after 30+ years of regular attendance.
It's clear the current management don't give a hoot for the opinions of their bedrock support on the assumption that we'll turn up regardless.
Does anyone know how to contact Tarquin? I can't find an email address on the offy.
If so please PM me. I'd like to let him know my reasons........ like he cares!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 07:48
Quote:
jasiepoohs

It's clear the current management don't give a hoot for the opinions of their bedrock support on the assumption that we'll turn up regardless.

PG Tips supporters sticky would indicate that this isn't the case* - maybe PM PG and he can give you more specific information to allay your concerns? After 30 years of attendance you will know that the club is bigger than any given team, coaches or even management.

[*it would be crazy if it was, on the basis that the fans pay for running of the club]

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 07:53
Quote:
Woodpecker

That's good WP, that means you'll get a significant discount of next tear's ST for Friday night games that presumably you still won't be able to attend. Just think of it as an interest free loan to the club.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 08:06
Quote:
JassiePoohsJust to reiterate, I am not renewing after 30+ years of regular attendance.
Does anyone know how to contact Tarquin? I can't find an email address on the offy.
If so please PM me. I'd like to let him know my reasons........ like he cares![/quote

I emailed CustomerFeedback@BathRugby.com in early January and asked whether Tarquin would write again to ST holders to explain why the 'wish for an even split between Friday and Sunday games when Saturday is not possible' had gone so badly awry. I got a glib answer 10 days later from a Customer Services person explaining how it really wasn't Bath's fault as having taken the cash from BT Sport they now have no say over when their product is staged.

Definitely worth an email into the club to keep the message in the front of their minds.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 08:18
Frankly I prefer Friday nights to Sunday if Saturday is not an option. But each to his own!

I believe this issue is raised at pretty well every ST meeting the Club holds and Tarquin (who reads COML and other supporter sites) has stated that the Clubs preference is Saturday and as our neighbour's don't like us playing on Sunday he is between a rock and a hard place.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 08:22
PS PG Tips has already reported on this issue in the Supporters Forum thread

Quote:
1. Fixtures.
Club preference is Saturday. Residents close to the Rec are impacted by games and have a strong preference to keep Sunday’s sacred. The Club does not have a preference Friday v Sunday unless it creates a short turn around for rugby. So Club have asked Premiership for 2:1 ratio of Friday/Sunday matches
Premiership have no control over European scheduling, which can affect choice of time and turnaround interval.
The Club have met PRL to reinforce importance of managing this.
Communications to STHs on fixture scheduling are planned.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 08:30
Quote:
CoochieCoo
It's a bit like the Eddie Jones thread.
A myth can be debunked daily, and people will still complain as if the myth is factual.
People like to moan, they don't like tomfact check, even if the fact checking has been done for them and posted 10 minutes before their moan. Just human nature I guess.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 08:56
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:
Woodpecker

That's good WP, that means you'll get a significant discount of next tear's ST for Friday night games that presumably you still won't be able to attend. Just think of it as an interest free loan to the club.

I'm not going to renew after 10 years of having my season ticket mainly due to the Friday issue. Im not throwing my toys out of the pram or saying that Tarquin is a SWEAR I know it's not their fault, it just comes to a point where it doesn't make sense.

My question is, is it correct that I can only access those funds against purchases I.e. i cant get the cash?

I'm assuming that if that is the case I can buy match tickets with it?

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 09:25
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:
Woodpecker

I'm not going to renew after 10 years of having my season ticket mainly due to the Friday issue. Im not throwing my toys out of the pram or saying that Tarquin is a SWEAR I know it's not their fault, it just comes to a point where it doesn't make sense.

My question is, is it correct that I can only access those funds against purchases I.e. i cant get the cash?

From the Offy

Quote:
options, a credit to your season ticket account – which can be put towards your 2018/19 season ticket or future match tickets- or alternatively, if a credit to your account does not suit your individual circumstances, we can arrange for a refund to your credit card or bank account.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 10:10
We all always have a choice what to do with our space cash and time.

But having stepped back myself from being fed up with the Friday nights (often in the rain I can honestly say that if Friday night games were abolished at the Rec, I would be renewing my season ticket.

Too many other options compete with the getting there, parking, tramping in the dark and often cold and wet, negotiating very inebriated mostly fellow attendees (rather like being at Twickenham these days). One of which is that the blooming thing is on the telly and can be recorded if required. "Sad but true".

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 10:37
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:
Woodpecker

From the Offy

Quote:
options, a credit to your season ticket account – which can be put towards your 2018/19 season ticket or future match tickets- or alternatively, if a credit to your account does not suit your individual circumstances, we can arrange for a refund to your credit card or bank account.

Thanks CC

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 11:27
Quote:
CoochieCoo
Frankly I prefer Friday nights to Sunday if Saturday is not an option. But each to his own!
I believe this issue is raised at pretty well every ST meeting the Club holds and Tarquin (who reads COML and other supporter sites) has stated that the Clubs preference is Saturday and as our neighbour's don't like us playing on Sunday he is between a rock and a hard place.

Unless you hadn't noticed some of our neighbours really really don't want Bath to build a new stadium at the rec but for the good of all we're keen to persist.

We seem to have moved away from the consultation position of 'even split' to 2:1 Friday to Sundays without any updated comms from the club other than the informal update at the supporter's forum which seemed to be given as though this was already common knowledge.

If a condition of staying at the rec is that half our games end up on Friday then I'd vote for moving somewhere else. The whole point of the rugby is the social element of meeting and greeting friends and drinks, meals etc (ideally in in Bath City Centre). This isn't possible for a great many on a Friday night due to work commitments which is why it's important that this topic keeps being raised in these forums and to the club.

Quote:
CoochieCoo

I replied there too but as very few read the Stickies its not the best place to post anything.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 11:34
I think Friday night games have precious little to do with being on the rec. I suspect Friday night (and or Sunday) games are here to stay.

I quite like them. Different atmosphere which is nice every now and again and I get to watch rugby on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I would say that Friday nights are differently social.

The only issue is with the balance. There's 6 games a week and 3 slots. I'd expect between 1/3rd and 2/3rds of games to happen on a non-Saturday. 1/3rd seems about right to me (and 2/3rds too many). However, that will happen at the rec or anywhere else.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 11:35
So when BT got the rugby I was quite pleased, but essentialy its pushed me towards watching at home and not having a season ticket, I guess that was the plan

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 11:36
Quote:
DanWiley
I think Friday night games have precious little to do with being on the rec. I suspect Friday night (and or Sunday) games are here to stay.
I quite like them. Different atmosphere which is nice every now and again and I get to watch rugby on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I would say that Friday nights are differently social.

The only issue is with the balance. There's 6 games a week and 3 slots. I'd expect between 1/3rd and 2/3rds of games to happen on a non-Saturday. 1/3rd seems about right to me (and 2/3rds too many). However, that will happen at the rec or anywhere else.

Im glad you quite like them

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 11:38
Quote:
annie blackthorn
But having stepped back myself from being fed up with the Friday nights (often in the rain I can honestly say that if Friday night games were abolished at the Rec, I would be renewing my season ticket.

Too many other options compete with the getting there, parking, tramping in the dark and often cold and wet, negotiating very inebriated mostly fellow attendees (rather like being at Twickenham these days). One of which is that the blooming thing is on the telly and can be recorded if required. "Sad but true".

I hadn't realised it rains more often on Fridays..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/03/2018 11:38 by woodpecker.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 11:50
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
annie blackthorn

I hadn't realised it rains more often on Fridays..

First thing you learn at weather person school WP. Bank holidays too.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 12:07
Quote:
Woodpecker
So when BT got the rugby I was quite pleased, but essentially its pushed me towards watching at home and not having a season ticket, I guess that was the plan

This is definitely my 'quote of the week' WP and it would be interesting to know if it was in the premiership clubs plans when the BT contracts were initially agreed (i.e. we'll take the TV money and accept that we'll take a hit on other match day revenues).

It would be interesting to know what it would cost the clubs if the deal was structured to limit the number of none Saturday games. Taking it in the round across the 3 competitions I could live with 3 Friday, 10 Saturday, 3 Sunday across the season.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 12:38
Is there any evidence that attendances are going down? I don't get that impression. Certainly at bath we don't seem to have much of an issue.

If that's the case it not really a trade off.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 14:03
Personally I'd now rather not have any Sunday games at the Rec as it's a waste of my day.

Friday isn't ideal but at least there is some sort of atmosphere.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

24 March, 2018 09:33
Quote:
Dan Wiley
Is there any evidence that attendances are going down? I don't get that impression. Certainly at bath we don't seem to have much of an issue. If that's the case it not really a trade off.]

I was talking more generally about match day revenues including bars, food etc. My perception is that people arrive later and tend to leave soon after the game on Fridays. The club will have accounts to see if this perception is true.

Attendance must take a hit too, mainly in numbers through the gate and not necessarily in tickets sold due to ST non attendance. Certainly the Newcastle AT game would have garnered more supporting played on a Saturday than the 80000 that showed upon the Friday.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

24 March, 2018 09:36
I don't usually hear the tannoy but I think I heard that the attendance last night was 14,509 in which case that must be a record for the Rec or near it!

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

24 March, 2018 09:50
Assume the 14,509 was based on tickets sold as it didn’t feel that packed in the terrace and I know of a number of ST holders absent. Good show from the Exe fans though, loads there.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

24 March, 2018 10:29
It always is. Just a few seats vacant near me but South Stand was pretty full.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

24 March, 2018 10:41
Large no of Ex travelling fans?

MESSAGES->author
Bathbadger (IP Logged)

24 March, 2018 11:25
Plenty of space in the East terrace, busy, but not rammed.

Cheers,

Rich

archie10
archie10 (IP Logged)

24 March, 2018 11:40
Had to miss another Friday game due to work over running, (can't leave till the job is finished)
wouldn't of got to the stadium till 8-15ish. It's a shame, i will have to consider my season ticket for next year, esp as it likes like we will be in the mickey mouse cup again, (Thurs/Friday nights) I'll miss Bath games on a Saturday at the rec, but i don't expect they will miss me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/03/2018 12:03 by archie10.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

26 March, 2018 14:06
In my memory, most of the games have been Fridays, I had a look at the fixture list for home games as of now it's actually:

FR Sa Su
5 - 8 - 1

And by the end of the season, 5 - 9 - 1

I'm not counting The Clash as a home game, because it isn't

However, if you did the same exercise at Xmas, it was 1 - 6 - 1 - then i would have had a different mindset

Im thinking going to home Saturday games plus Saturday away at Glos, Bris, Worcs might be the best option for next year, maybe even Ricoh, I drive almost an hour to Bath as it is

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

27 March, 2018 12:18
Its certainly the balance of home games since Christmas that seems awry ...

Before Xmas : SAT/SAT/SAT/SAT/SUN/FRI/SAT/SAT

Since Xmas : FRI/FRI/SAT/FRI/SAT/FRI/FRI/TWK/SAT

53% of games on a Sat, 35% on a Fri, 12 % other(1 Sun, 1 Twix)

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

27 March, 2018 12:47
Interesting. Clear split.

So is it that the clubs at the top of the league when the second wave of fixtures are announced have the prime slots (where their planning / police allow) and those in mid-table mediocrity end up with Fridays? Or are Fridays the prime slots? Or did we ask after the first wave had been announced for the second wave to have more of a Friday weighting (to save the local residents)?

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

27 March, 2018 12:53
I can get to Friday games but travelling by train late at night is a pain. Much prefer Sats or even Sundays but until we return to top of the league, and top Euro Cup, the TV companies will push us into more Friday night games, end of.

Those stats show the club have little or no control over when games are played and the supporters and fans have to like it or lump it. Very poor IMV.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net