rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

Injury update latest
07 February, 2018 16:55

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: Injury update latest
07 February, 2018 17:02
Some really good news there. Bit of a worry about Max Clarks knees at his age though.

Rokoholic
Rokoholic (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 17:09
My team for Saints:

15. Atkins
14. Brew
13. Hurrell
12. Tapuai
11. Banners
10. Burns
9. Khan
1. Noguera
2. Dunn
3. Thomas
4. Ewels
5. Stooke
6. Garvey
7. Zach/Underhill (whichever one Eddie releases)
8. Grant

16. Batty
17. Auterac
18. Lahiff
19. Charteris
20. Bayliss
21. Cook
22. Lewis
23. James Wilson

Looks like we are starting to regain some genuine strength in depth in the front 5.
Should be a close game, hoping we will have the edge up front. Bath by 7.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 17:10
Good news. Ellis did so well last year. It's great he's nearly back with us.

Should be a strong XV for Friday night. Hopefully, we might have Zach back, too, as I can't see EJ changing a winning squad.

My team for Saints:
Atkins, Banahan, Hurrell, Tapuai, Brew, Burns, KF.
Mercer, Grant, Garvey, Ewels, Charteris, Thomas, Dunn, Auterac.
Wilson (James), Lewis, Cook, Bayliss, Stooke, Lahiff, Paz, Batty.

Looks good to me!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2018 17:11 by dr.bath1865.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 17:17
That update doesn't make for great reading. At least Catt and Ellis back soon (with another three of four games to find match fitness). Disaster season.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 17:53
Things still not looking great and yet again we'll have a patched up side for a must win game on Friday

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 18:12
Eddie keeps both Mercer and Underhill. Damn.

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

07 February, 2018 18:46
Still 17 first team players unavailable for a variety of reasons!
Beating Northampton will be a challenge but has to be achieved!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 09:38
Quote:
dr.bath1865

It's wrong that England are permitted to retain Mercer when he's not even in the squad for the Wales game.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 09:44
I'm a bit surprised he doesn't want Mercer to play (at least a portion of) the Bath game this weekend tbh.

MESSAGES->author
Robbinho (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 09:45
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
dr.bath1865

It's wrong that England are permitted to retain Mercer when he's not even in the squad for the Wales game.

Not really, they need to have extra players in the squad in case anyone gets injured in the lead up to the game. Just sucks a bit for Bath!

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 09:50
Worst place for a young player to be - stuck in the middle of nowhere.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 09:53
Always a chance of illness in a squad too. The right thing for England to do.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 09:59
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
dr.bath1865

No, it's normal and understandable

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 11:06
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
dr.bath1865

I agree that 'it's normal and understandable' to retain a first reserve. I think it's downright odd that that first match-day reserve is Zach Mercer and not a more experienced, physically more mature player like Armand or Ewers.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 11:33
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
dr.bath1865

I agree that 'it's normal and understandable' to retain a first reserve. I think it's downright odd that that first match-day reserve is Zach Mercer and not a more experienced, physically more mature player like Armand or Ewers.

Well that's a more general issue isn't it? I have no idea how Underhill gets in before Armand. The again Hartley isn't even Saints best 2 at the moment, let alone the best English 2.

Barfboy
Barfboy (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 12:23
Can someone explain Max Clark's bruised knee(s) - why is it so serious, and how on earth do you do that twice? Rather unusual.

MESSAGES->author
Robbinho (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 12:33
Think the answer to the second question is because he's got two knees!

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 19:23
Quote:
Barfboy
Can someone explain Max Clark's bruised knee(s) - why is it so serious, and how on earth do you do that twice? Rather unusual.
Probably sub-periosteal bruising as a result of impact. Happens twice due to really bad luck
[www.physio-pedia.com]

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2018 19:27 by Which Tyler.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 13:50
Freddie sprained wrist, Garvey fluid on the knee. It continues...

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 13:54
I don't want to hear excuses, every rugby side in the land has injuries and unavailable players.

Gives others a chance to step up and win the shirt.

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 14:13
Yes but they aren't fit to wear the shirt according to you.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 15:04
Quote:
Bathovalballer
I don't want to hear excuses, every rugby side in the land has injuries and unavailable players.

What others? There are none left. (Sm10)

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 15:34
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Bathovalballer

What others? There are none left. (Sm10)

Perhaps as before we should get together and offer our services (Sm128)

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 16:06
Who was making excuses? I was providing an injury update and expressing frustration that more of our players are out.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 16:22
Quote:
Bathovalballer

Name me another club who have 20+ unavailable and have that many out pretty much all season.

Certainly not Newcasle. Had they been missing 20+ players the result would have likely been very different.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 17:41
I doubt the loss of Burns and Garvey will affect our probably league position come the end of the season.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 17:49
Ellis is fit again but was not deemed ready for a game. I wonder if that will be brought forward, we could certainly do with his physicality and aggression if Garvey is unavailable in the back row. Unless Phillips moves to 8 again and Douglas is brought into the second row?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 18:24
So Josh Lewis is our 10, somehow I think he'll do well, that is if we have any forwards to win him some ball!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 18:34
Obano (and hopefully Thomas) back will be massive if both available.

Bathovalballer

17 February, 2018 21:39
So Obano and Thomas are going to be running around tackling people and linking with the backs as well as winning all the ball in the tight with only one fit decent tried second row. Some of you are completely deluded and wonder if you have ever played the game.

If you watch the Sale/ Sarries game, the Sale props gave Sarries some problems in the scrum which I haven't seen either of our two do. Mind you Sale do have a hefty tough strong second rows.

Nothing to worry about then with two props out there and we are going to win when Sale roll over and let us tickle their tummies. Think Mr Diamond might have something to say and it may not be very polite!!!! He might collapse in laughter though!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 21:43
Errr. No. That was all in your head. Not getting mushed in the front row and having some go forward in the loose may assist somewhat though donít you think? Or do you think that would be bad? Did you think that the Paz was really good last night? (Nurse, itís time for his meds...).

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 01:03
Quote:
Bathovalballer
If you watch the Sale/ Sarries game, the Sale props gave Sarries some problems in the scrum which I haven't seen either of our two do. Mind you Sale do have a hefty tough strong second rows.

Big rough and tough second rows? The grovelling type? With pace?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 17:06
TF fit and available again:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

hopefully won't be used too much by Wales so soon after coming back.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 17:14
Quote:
BathMatt53
TF fit and available again:
[www.bbc.co.uk]

hopefully won't be used too much by Wales so soon after coming back.

No doubt he'll play for Wales then return to Bath injured again after the 6N.. (Sm19)

Bathovalballer

19 February, 2018 19:26
Well there we go again! We are capable of getting players fit and of course only too willing to let them go and ply their trade elsewhere, and (probably but hopefully NOT) come back to Bath either injured or too tired to move.

IMO it would be utterly mad to throw a player who hasn't played for about 3 months into a full blooded international against a pack of wild Irish. Toby will hardly be up to speed or game fit.

However, that would not be considered by Mr Gatland who sees him as be a nailed on starter and will mean he will probably not wear our shirt again this season. Hey ho.....

Great having these super star players on our books who rarely play for the club. Nice pictures in the program and we can read about their international exploits! Personally, much rather have someone like Don Armomd playing for us who rarely misses a game or for that matter makes a mistake either.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 19:50
Made plenty of mistakes against Wasps. Which the Armand 4 England crowd, let by Flatman, failed to mention at the time.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 20:33
Armand's a good, solid club player but I can see why Jones doesn't pick him for England, as he clearly sees how Underhill and Mercer have far much more potential.

In fact, Armand is just a softer version of Garvey, but without the leadership qualities.

Trawling
Trawling (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 20:53
I've always seen him more as a poor man's Charlie Ewels.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 21:12
If Taulupe has been available for all 6 CRC matches weíd have qualified for the Q-Fs. Thatís what heís here for.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 21:48
Quote:
Optimist
If Taulupe has been available for all 6 CRC matches weíd have qualified for the Q-Fs. Thatís what heís here for.

Or not here for..

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 22:36
Iím not sure it was TFs fault that big boy Basteraud decided to try and bend his knee sideways? Still not sure it would have made a huge difference against Scarlets on that day mind you.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

20 February, 2018 04:32
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Great having these super star players on our books who rarely play for the club. Nice pictures in the program and we can read about their international exploits! Personally, much rather have someone like Don Armomd playing for us who rarely misses a game or for that matter makes a mistake either.

I have to agree. We donít get a lot for our bucks but we only seem able to attract superstars!

Bathovalballer

20 February, 2018 09:03
Probably for the money TF is on, we could fund 2 players of say Armand quality and help us field a decent team each week! With injuries becoming more frequent and players taking longer to recover, to maintain a decent strength squad to be able to compete at the highest level, this must become a consideration.

All very well criticising someone like Armand for example, but over a season he is both regularly available and makes less mistakes than most and is a very good standard of player. Yes Talaupe is star quality but we don't in my view get much bang for our bucks from him!

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

20 February, 2018 09:19
Yeah, if only we had some honest clubmen like Armand, plucked from relative obscurity, and playing at a level where they'd never quite interesting the national selectors (or only in an injury crisis).
Immean, if only we could find some players like Catt, or Batty, or Thomas, or Stools, or Garvey, or Ellis, or Grant, of Cook, or Burns, or Tapuai, or Clarke, or Banahan, or Brew, or Homer.
If only we could find just 1-2 players like that, we'd be a completely different team!

RAEBURN SHIELD

Bathovalballer

20 February, 2018 09:25
All good players WT but because they are injured, we need more of their like. Less occasional super star appearance, more regular good standard team players, with the emphasis on team! Like Newcastle, Gloucester and Sale and, until this season, Exeter!

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

20 February, 2018 09:28
Ok, I'm pretty sure most teams would like to find consistent performers who play at just below international standard and are guaranteed not to be injured.
However, rugby is a contact sport, and injuries happen fatigue happens too, as do disruptions in training due to injuries.

RAEBURN SHIELD

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

20 February, 2018 09:40
And talking up the quality of the squads at Newcastle, Gloucester and Sale, who have all been bottom 4/6 for the last Lord-knows-how-long when we've been top 4/6, seems like an odd way to make a fairly obvious point.

We've been unlucky with injuries. We'd love our 3rd choice 10, our 4th choice 8, our 7th choice hooker to be better. But considering our bad luck with injuries (20+ players out every game) I'm still impressed with the squads we field - it's just a shame that they rarely play consistently together, as it's that togetherness that creates consistent performances.

recman
recman (IP Logged)

20 February, 2018 13:37
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Personally, much rather have someone like Don Armand playing for us who rarely misses a game or for that matter makes a mistake either.

He'll surely be remembered more for his disco classic, Deputy Of Love. He never missed a beat in that song, never mind a game.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

20 February, 2018 14:08
For me it has nothing to do with the quality of players we put out on the park. I'm perfectly prepared to accept losing with our third choice against a first choice AP side whatever league position

What I find difficult to accept is a weak, submissive defence line that appears willing to concede ground so often in contact and looking so susceptible to serious line breaks from a good [not necessarily outstanding] offloading game

For the time being I can live with Opti's forgiveness in the name of short term pain and expectation of long term gain but at the very least will want to see some evidence of a far more dynamic, threatening attack and a far more focussed, front foot offensive defence when more of the first choices start to return

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/02/2018 14:08 by gaz59.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

20 February, 2018 14:11
If we're going to have a scratch team each week, it'd be nice at least to see some Baabaas style rugby in keeping with it.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

20 February, 2018 14:22
Quote:
hasta
If we're going to have a scratch team each week, it'd be nice at least to see some Baabaas style rugby in keeping with it.

Right now I'd just settle for a team that looks like it's been coached, actually know what they're doing and in the process forcing Sale to wait until late in the 2nd half before they get their winning TBP.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

20 February, 2018 20:45
[www.bathchronicle.co.uk] Latest Injury Updates

Shorty Shorty iiv
Shorty Shorty iiv (IP Logged)

20 February, 2018 22:13
Is Van Vuuren available this weekend? Charles, Walker and Dunn are all crocked, is Batty is once again the last man standing...!?

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 06:46
Grant and Charles added to injury list ffs. Garvey and Burns unable to train. It never ends.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 07:51
How's long since we had even a 75% fit squad to pick from? 2015?

Guess most will be back for last game of season when we won't even have top 6 to play for.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net