rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: England team for wales
13 February, 2018 19:52
Quote:
joethefanatic
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
hasta
A kick is a deliberate act, this wasn't.

Lots of entwined laws here!

So, 'possession' includes 'attempting to bring it [the ball] under control' so I guess in relation to the knock on Law did he attempt to bring it under control (i.e. regain possession?).

It wasn't a kick as the World Rugby definition says that you can shin it but not knee it (as Ben Youngs found out the other week).

I'll be quiet now, I've even bored myself.

I think the knee thing is only in regard to taking a quick tap penalty. In open play, the ball can be played forward with *any* part of the body other than the hand or arms. Hence ref calls of "off his chest". etc. Nige calls this a lot. It seems to be an opportunity ripe for exploitation.

I meant where the Laws refer to a 'kick'. The definition of a kick is below (but not including) the knee.

The tap penalty Law (20) says that the ball must be 'kicked' a visible distance. As you can't 'kick' with your knee according to the Laws that's why it wasn't a correct penalty restart (I guess).

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 20:33
Matt, why do the laws you quote refer to "free passes" as sanctions?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 20:39
Zach released back to club, Ewels retained until at least Friday. Sounds tough to make Newcastle on Friday night?

(No idea DW, it was from the world netball league rules probably).

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 21:02
The actual definition of a knock on is rather grammatically interesting:

"When a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player
hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes
forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can
catch it."

I read it as:

" when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it."

I'd say he didn't catch it before it got the ground, but you can also equally say a kick has to be a deliberate act and I don't think it was.

Try or not, world rugby are insane to make the statement they appear to have done. Apart from encouraging ***** like garland to whine at every questionable decision they just pulled the rug from under every ref, que dull rugby.

Trawling
Trawling (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 21:13
Dan, free pass is the penalty equivalent in younger age groups so that's where it was cut and pasted from.

World rugby has done this before and it's not good. They would be better off explaining how they will ensure the process/ protocols help the on pitch ref and TMO.

I still think it"s a knock on by Evans so the in goal debate is moot.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 21:43
Quote:
joethefanatic
None of the video I've been able to find shows Steff Evans knocking on. He *tries* to gather the ball with his hands but completely misses it and the ball hits his shin. That is not a knock on.
[www.youtube.com]

Check the gif here finger moves. Of course it'd be preposterous to check that level of detail, but if the Welsh are going to be so ridiculously salty.

ShortyinBurnham
ShortyinBurnham (IP Logged)

14 February, 2018 11:53
I think this is the link that shows it hit his hand

[twitter.com]

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

15 February, 2018 17:56
So not content with making a mesh of the "try or no try" debacle, 6 Nations Rugby has now decided that despite their players NOT complaining of head injuries the doctor took them off for HIAs Because the Dr is independent of the team no punishment is sanctioned. Article here

6N rugby will liaise with World Rugby to avoid a repeat.

Didn't affect the result but not at all sure it is in the spirit of the game! Oops I forgot the French doctor isn't part of the French team.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

15 February, 2018 19:13
I have more sympathy on this point. Owens immediately signalled head when he went over. The fact that the 'true' injury was leg doesn't mean head might not have been. It's the law that's the problem here.

Slimani returning last season was way more egregious.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

16 February, 2018 14:42
Quote:
shipwrecked
So not content with making a mesh of the "try or no try" debacle, 6 Nations Rugby has now decided that despite their players NOT complaining of head injuries the doctor took them off for HIAs Because the Dr is independent of the team no punishment is sanctioned. Article here
6N rugby will liaise with World Rugby to avoid a repeat.

Didn't affect the result but not at all sure it is in the spirit of the game! Oops I forgot the French doctor isn't part of the French team.
There's nothing at all in life that says a player can't suffer injuries to both their head and their knee.
There absolutely was a call from the ref (initially from a TJ) that a head injury had been suffered and needed assessing. There is nothing at all in the protocols to allow for an HIA to not happen after an HIA has been called (except for the ref over-ruling the original call - which will never, ever happen).
Any claims of cheating are suggesting that the (Kiwi) TJ and the (Welsh) ref were cheating; as they are the ones who called for a head injury assessment. There was never anyone else to even investigate.

The shocking thing for me is that the independent medic doesn't need to be independent - but that's on WR, not FFR - I do'nt blame them at all for using someone local who knows what they're doing with elite rugby players.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net