rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

Team's Up!
08 February, 2018 11:48
Going for experience mostly:

Bath Rugby team to face Northampton Saints

15. James Wilson

14. Matt Banahan

13. Will Hurrell

12. Ben Tapuai

11. Aled Brew

10. Freddie Burns

9. Kahn Fotuali’i

1. Lucas Noguera

2. Tom Dunn

3. Max Lahiff

4. Elliott Stooke

5. Charlie Ewels

6. Matt Garvey (c)

7. Paul Grant

8. James Phillips

Replacements

16. Ross Batty

17. Nick Auterac

18. Henry Thomas

19. Luke Charteris

20. Josh Bayliss

21. Chris Cook

22. Josh Lewis

23. Darren Atkins

P G Tips

Paul Grant: my adopted Player, 2017-18.

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

Re: Team's Up!
08 February, 2018 11:51
Happy with that, two strong wingers and decent bench.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 12:05
Looks a pretty good lineup with no obvious weaknesses & an equally solid bench. We need to build on the Osprey’s performance as this is a “must win” game to keep us on track for a top 6 place & the possibility of even reaching the play-offs.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 12:05
SAINTS
15 Ahsee Tuala
14 Ken Pisi
13 Rob Horne
12 Tom Stephenson
11 Ben Foden
10 Piers Francis
9 Cobus Reinach

1 Campese Ma’afu
2 Mikey Haywood
3 Kieran Brookes
4 Api Ratuniyarawa
5 Christian Day (capt)
6 Tom Wood
7 Jamie Gibson
8 Teimana Harrison

Replacements:
16 Reece Marshall
17 Francois van Wyk
18 Jamal Ford-Robinson
19 David Ribbans
20 Ben Nutley
21 Nic Groom
22 Harry Mallinder
23 Nafi Tuitavake

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 12:11
2 lovely tickets still for sale on TX; west open 8 rows back near 10m line

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 12:11
I'm a bit disappointed to see Atkins on the bench, as I thought he'd earned a start. Our back three isn't exactly the sharpest! But full of experience. I'd expect Kahn and Fred to move our big pack around the field, and have Banahan, Brew and Wilson competing for lots of box kicks and high balls.

Interested to see how Hurrell goes back in the Premiership and one area where we might have a slight edge is at scrum time and perhaps off the bench, where Auterac, Thomas and Batty should bring some intensity.

Unsure how this one will go... so Bath by 5.

andysaint
andysaint (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 12:12
Should be quite a competitive game. As a Saints fan, I am quietly confident but I cannot see the end result being decided by more than a score.

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 12:12
Interesting to see JP at No 8 really powerful back row a response to being outmuscled up at their place. Feel a bit sorry for Josh Bayliss thought he has been outstanding along with Miles Reid, bring ZM into that and that is one hell of a backrow for the future. Good looking back line and bench.

Interesting Saints not playing. Broussow take it he is injured - Lawes missing is huge for them although IMHO Hartley away is not a loss - I think Mikey Haywood is a great player and needs to be playing regular first team rugby a bit like Harry Thacker.

Let’s hope for a dry night and a good win with a BP that would make a great start to the weekend. Come on Bath.

by
by (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 12:14
Its a decent team but I can't help feeling frustrated that Louw is out.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 12:36
We really are going to have to retain possession, because with that back-row and that back 3, we aren't going to want to play the game at pace or want to be turning and chasing back too much. If we're going to kick the ball away it needs to be very long or very contestable. With all that bulk, you'd much rather see us battering them through multiple phases, but that hasn't exactly been a strength this season.

Another completely un-callable game.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 12:48
Guess it’s Atkins lack of experience. Looking at v brief highlights of last week he was pulled out of position to allow one of their tries in corner.
Could be a cracker of a game.
So intrigued to see Gentleman Phillips at 8.

HOP

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 12:52
Saints have 4 injuries in their squad, bless.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 12:58
Saints look stronger on paper, reckon they'll be very confident of getting another win at the Rec given how many times we've already lost at home this season.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 13:11
Anyone know how often Wilson played at 15 for Saints? He's a utility back who I remember playing across the back line, but not sure how experienced he is at FB. He might have lost a yard of pace but his experience should count for a lot.

I'll also be interested to see how Francis goes for them. He's certainly a talented footballer but I haven't seen enough of him to know if he can manage a Prem game from 10.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 13:29
In a perfect world - how many of that starting XV would get into our best XV?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 13:34
Skybet has us by 7. (also has England by 12). That would be nice!

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 13:41
Quote:
cb2
In a perfect world - how many of that starting XV would get into our best XV?

6 if you consider Tapuai first choice

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 14:10
Interested to know which 6 BO?

I had:

14. Matt Banahan
12. Ben Tapuai
9. Kahn Fotuali’i
2. Tom Dunn
4. Elliott Stooke
5. Charlie Ewels
6. Matt Garvey (c)

I guess Attwood could take one of the lock places?

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 14:15
1st choice?

Catt (tho' Beno has probably exceeded him)
Dunn
Thomas
Ewels
Attwood (tho' that's harking back 2 years in reality)
Louw
Faletau
Underhill (tho' I'd never be unhappy to see Grant on the teamsheet)
Kahn (Cook has exceeded him at times this season although that's more due to Kahn's loss of form than Cook's clear excellence)
Burns/Priestland - no clear first choice to me
Tapuai
Joseph
Banahan (on recent form, but happy enough if it were Brew, or Homer to fb)
Roko
Watson

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 14:21
I’d say 7.

FLAP

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 14:37
Would argue that Noguera will or will be expected to be a first choice LH given his reputation and international experience at what is still a very young age.

SaintsMan87
SaintsMan87 (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 14:47
Quote:
dr.bath1865
Anyone know how often Wilson played at 15 for Saints? He's a utility back who I remember playing across the back line, but not sure how experienced he is at FB. He might have lost a yard of pace but his experience should count for a lot.
I'll also be interested to see how Francis goes for them. He's certainly a talented footballer but I haven't seen enough of him to know if he can manage a Prem game from 10.

Took fodens shirt off him for a long period, played most of his rugby at 15 and wing for us. Massive boot but towards the end started to miss kick an awful lot. Probably down to not really getting much game time

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 15:42
It will be a real dog fight of a game, Bath by 2.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 21:10
Quote:
dr.bath1865

Wilson at FB? Not very often I'd say - used more at centre and wing is my perception.

There ain't no Sanity Clause

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

08 February, 2018 21:25
We must physically dominate on our home turf under Friday night lights. Win. COYB

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 07:38
Quote:
shendy
Quote:
dr.bath1865

Wilson at FB? Not very often I'd say - used more at centre and wing is my perception.

Well, I haven’t watched Saints a great deal but I’ve seen him come on as a replacement at full-back a number of times & apparently he has played there for a period. Good experienced player who we were lucky to get at short notice.i can’t see much wrong with our team tonight so if we lose it won’t be down to players missing. As usual, the main problem could be holding on to the ball & getting it back.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 08:28
The main obstacle to winning tonight (apart from not holding on to the ball) will be the lack of a clear game plan.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 09:00
Will be interesting to see how Francis goes. A staring 12 who can play 10. Just what we need for next season.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 09:05
Quote:
cb2
Will be interesting to see how Francis goes. A staring 12 who can play 10. Just what we need for next season.

Does it put the opposition off their game?

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 09:18
Wilson was very popular at the Gardens but probably a little too adaptable for his own good becoming a good man to have on the bench but never quite good enough in any position to start on a regular basis. A big boot but a little prone to brain fade on occasion such as kicking out on the full or not making touch when he should !

Kahn could still be at the Gardens had not the rotation with Dickson become obsessive.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 09:50
Its going to be freezing - literally - so top up the whisky in the hipflask, and wrap up warm! Lovely travelling weather for Saints supporters across A43 and down the M4 (if that's their route). We all just love Friday night games starting at a convenient time for the television schedules!

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net