rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

Re: Match Thread
09 February, 2018 21:20
Wasn't that a knock on by us? God the officials are poor.....

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:20
Quote:
BathBurger
Quote:
B4thB4ck
Slightly off topic but with Bathburgers updates we are winning the match thread against the Saints forum 94-5.

I'll dial it back a tad!

No! I can't get the radio coverage to work. I assume the Saints fans are considerably richer than me and have BT Sport.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:21
Penalty Bath. Auterac and Thomas have dominated the Saints replacement front row. Bath go for another scrum. COYB!

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:21
In fairness to the Ref he was also wrong then in our favour. Definite knock on by Wilson. And then gave a pen not an advantage.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:22
Try Auterac!

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:22
Excellent try Bath. Great, great skill from Charlie Ewells to make it.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:23
27-9 69 mins

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

Some lovely hands from the forwards and Freddie throws a long miss pass to his strangely bowling ball shaped winger, Nic Auterac!

Freddie misses the kick however.

27-9

MESSAGES->author

Finally show patience and some clever play to send Auterac over. 27 9 and I would think the game.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:25
Bath knock on not given after some good passing

MESSAGES->author

09 February, 2018 21:27
Anyone else thinking that Wilson and Brew are rapidly forming a good understanding?

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

Bath have charged into the Saints 22 again!

Brew and Wilson clicking really well tonight. Another knock on not given against Bath luckily for us! Freddie tries another miss pass and it's knocked on by Saints in an intercept attempt, not a deliberate knock-on.

Scrum Bath in a good position again. Lewis on for Freddie just as he was warming up!

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

There has been some superb long wide passes to give them some space.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:28
Quote:
Toast and Marmite
Anyone else thinking that Wilson and Brew are rapidly forming a good understanding?

Yes, they've often looked like they've got themselves into a bit of a hole and end up supporting each other very well.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

Well it’s not been a classic performance but we have definitely grown into the game and there have been an emerging shape to our game as the night has wore on. Some nice touches and some good physicality.

I am enjoying Hurrell, I must say.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

After 20 mins of, you know, not actually playing, we've been OK. Not good, but OK. Saints have been really, really poor since then.

MESSAGES->author
spongey (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:29
Ewels and Stooke have been quietly excellent again. I know the Attwood news has been a bit of a shock but I really think this pairing could be as good as Borthwick and Grewcock and theyre both still so young.

Second half we've been much better and one of the key things is we haven't missed a beat when Cook has come on. If anything Cook has outplayed Kahn today. But when we actually try and play rugby rather than box kick and hope the other team makes a mistake we look quite good.

And I can't believe we've let Auterac go in place of Noguera. Nick's improved the scrum and been great round the park.

T

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:29
Josh Lewis with white line fever.... agh!

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:30
Lewis butchers a try opportunity! What a shame. Knock on and Saints get a bit of relief.

3 on 1 against a prop on the try line and we couldn't execute.

Bath have done well to recover after a messy start.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:31
That was a bad miss. A try then and we'd have been pushing for a possible bp.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

Hurrell is a monster.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

Hurrell has been excellent

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:32
Try Ross Batty!

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

Batty in the corner after a great line from Lewis.

MESSAGES->author

Yes! So pleased for Batty

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:33
Good try Batty. Push now Bath.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:33
Cook takes advantage of a slow retreat by the defence to put Batty in the corner.

Lewis makes up for his mistake earlier with some great support running to set up the try.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:35
Saints have gone from Solid and efficient to tired and lost. Real shame we couldn't get a bp out of this.

MESSAGES->author

09 February, 2018 21:35
Erm.....not convinced FB should be MOM

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:36
Saints on the attack and knock on once more. Not sure what the handling error count is now but it won't make for pretty reading.

Ps. The score is now 32-9.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:36
Stooke, Ewells or Hurrell for me as MotM

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:38
Well after giving away 7 penalties in the first 16 minutes I was ready to switch over. Would never have expected to run out 32-9 winners at that point.

MESSAGES->author

09 February, 2018 21:38
Pleased that we actually worked things out during the course of the game and changed tactics and focus

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:39
Quote:
Dorset Boy
Stooke, Ewells or Hurrell for me as MotM

Agreed. However Khan and Burns were the ones to pull us back from the brink on this one. A good win after a poor start and I hate to say it but a very poor performance from the ref.

That being said I can't see why Stooke, Ewels or Hurrell haven't been awarded MoM

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:39
It's bizarre that we won 32-9. Ridiculous. We were really not that good, particularly in attack, but I look at that as a bp missed.

Saints were awful.

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:40
Quote:
Toast and Marmite
Erm.....not convinced FB should be MOM

Struggling to find reasons why he should be, but can’t do unite build a case for many other players either.

On balance we definitely deserved that win. Still not sure who Bath are style wise but we criticise when we lose so let’s celebrate the win!

MESSAGES->author

09 February, 2018 21:40
Dreadful ref.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:43
Quote:
Toast and Marmite
Dreadful ref.

I really agree with this. It's easy to criticise when you lose, but in a 32-9 win it should be said that the Ref was absolutely awful.

MESSAGES->author

09 February, 2018 21:44
Quote:
hasta
It's bizarre that we won 32-9. Ridiculous. We were really not that good, particularly in attack, but I look at that as a bp missed.
Saints were awful.
Workmanlike, and nothing wrong with that, I'd happily take some consistently average wins than be brilliant one week awful the next

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:44
I'm sure both sets of fans will agree with that T&M.
Kahn's first 15 mins was so dreadful there's no way he could have been MotM even though he did sort himself out thereafter.

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:45
Score does flatter us no doubt but good win nevertheless.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:46
If i’d walked in on the 20-minute mark I think i’d Have thought we were very good. Butchered 2-3 chances but really didn’t give Saints a sniff in that period. Defence was immense and general physicality was great. Our recent trend has been to get better as the game goes on. That’s not the sign of a club in turmoil to me.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:47
Quote:
BathPatriot
Score does flatter us no doubt but good win nevertheless.

I disagree. Saints were terrible and we had a storming 2nd half. 4 tries though might have been a bit much.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:47
Quote:
hasta
Quote:
Toast and Marmite
Dreadful ref.

I really agree with this. It's easy to criticise when you lose, but in a 32-9 win it should be said that the Ref was absolutely awful.
for once; yes.
It's the inconsistency that's the killer.
Do exactly the same things I've, and once you're clean through, whilst another your giving away a penalty.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:48
Great result Bath! This is he beauty for a Friday night game (if you win), cos now we can sit back and relax as the other scores roll in!

Was good to see us actually offload the ball for a change!

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:49
Thanks for all the updates. If nothing else that will give the players some confidence going forward, it seems we improved dramatically once we pulled clear and that tells you something.

Got my Radio Bristol coverage working, my wife had turned on the socket feeding the Bluetooth adaptor to the hi fi downstairs, so whilst I was upstairs unfairly blaming my phone, she was trying to work out why she could hear strange commentary sounds at times during her movie watching... I will ask her if it was a good game.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 21:55
Banahan apparently has tweaked his hamstring. So that's Dunn and Banahan out for the next couple of weeks by te sound of it. @#$%&.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 22:16
Decent win after a really stodgy start.

Hurrell, Elliott, Brew, Wilson, Freddie and JP all played well.

Banners continues to demonstrate what we are going to lose.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 22:20
That pass from Freddie to Wilson around 65 mins - Zinedine Zidane would be proud of precision like that.

Hymenoptera
Hymenoptera (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 22:31
Turgid first half but you really stepped up in that second...good performance in the end...well done

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 22:56
Going to be a decent w/e for us pretty much whatever happens now. If Glos/Wasps win, Leics/Quins slip badly off top 6. If Leics/Quins win then we should stay 3rd. Sarries should knock Newcs back too. I wonder if LI can do us a favour and knock Sale back.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 23:04
Good god the first 20 was bad. So bad. So so bad.
Saints were very very very poor.
We grew in to the game, but still look bereft of ideas after about two phases. Khan seems 50% slower than last year. Freddie doesn't seem to run the game; everything from Freddie is off the cuff and there never seems to be a 'plan'... He constantly does this thing when he stands behind the ruck and then surprises the opposition by going either way... Trouble is none of our players know either!
Hurrell great. The heavy centre we've been looking for since forever. Wish we could keep him.
Agree Dunn great tonight. Thought Ewells was good too.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 23:08
Well we won, somehow! Very thankful and as bad as Saints were, we kept at it. Our back play looked toothless which is a worry, but Freddie's reading of the game and especially his distribution made all the difference.

I thought Brew had his moments and Willson grew into the game, but Hurrell was really good and we really should find the money to sign him. His carrying always made ground in the thickest traffic and his strength in the tackle was very noticeable.

However, my MofTM had to be my player of the year, Elliott Stooke. Apart from doing all the donkey work, he put in some vital tackles and was always running in support. Ewells was Ok but didn't hold a candle to ES. I just wonder if EJ got the wrong second row when watching Bath!

Great to see Roko in the stand and sincerely hope Banners and Dunner are able to recover quickly.

We won a vital game, against a struggling side with fairly poor play, but will take the result and celebrate it. IIRR, that is our best win margin against Northampton for many a year. So well done lads but its a shame we could not get the bonus point.

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 23:25
That Saints team is a shadow of what they were. The way they let their pack go from league beater to sclerotic enigma is a cautionary tale for all.

Yeah, strange game.

I thought Cook made the difference. He was in his quiet (as is not posturing) mode and we were all the better for it.

Noguera had more bad than good perhaps but the lines he picks are beautiful.

Stooke for.his work rate and Ewels for.his footballing ability deserve praise.

And Burns is definitely one of the top 3 distributors we've had in recent history.

All in all, good performance. I don't know what that first 20 was but the way we grew into the game bodes well.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 23:26
A very good win in the end but I can't work out how bad Saints were and whether a slightly better side might have had us, like Scarlets or Wasps, 20-0 down after 20 minutes.

But we slowly got a foothold, won the collisions through Dunn, Philips, Hurrell and Brew and KF and Fred got us downfield. Banahan's try (did Taps not knock it on?) was a turning point.

Second half we were a changed team, with a much better structure and options for Fred and Cook, who added real zip when he came on. Special mentions for the front row subs, who tipped the balance further our way, and Stooke, Ewels and Garvey, who worked relentlessly.

My MotM... James Wilson. He looked composed, quick to the line, handled well, and was a class above a lot of the rubbish that we saw.

That'll do nicely! I'd have taken a 3 point win. So, not the perfect 80-minute performance, but a very pleasing win. Enjoy your weekend ere-ites!

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

09 February, 2018 23:33
So BoB that’s one of your two projected wins.

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 00:01
Good shout on Wilson, best game in a Bath shirt. Atkins looked good again too. Bench seemed the difference. We need to step it up to worry top 4 teams though.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 00:02
After one of the most ponderous starts to a game from Bath that I can recall we eased into it and played a pragmatic forward oriented game against a very poor Saints side and in front of an appalling referee. I didn't think the scoreline flattered us .... Saints really were that bad and we did most of the basics well after our snooze in the first 20 mins.

Oh and to shed some more light on a woeful season the annoying gentleman on the PA has learnt a new trick. Blue, black, white. Blue, black, white. Ad infinitum. Seemed to unite the terrace in agreeing that he needs a new role at the club away from the microphone.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 00:04
Great result but disappointed that Ewels punched hardly anyone.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 00:15
Quote:
BathMatt53
Great result but disappointed that Ewels punched hardly anyone.

But didn't he look dapper in his smoking jacket and new Gucci loafers.

Also very impressed with Will Hurrell. Just imagine how good he'd be under Rob Baxter's expert tutelage at the Sandy Park 'temple of dreams' (closed Fridays).

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 00:57
We were woeful in the 1st 20 minutes. Luckily Saints weren't good enough to capitalise.
We were very good in the last 20 minutes though. A BP would have been nice but can't complain. We don't really play a dynamic attacking game often so the players can be forgiven for an error here or there.
Cook was good I thought.
Auterac looked much better then Noguera, hopefully that'll be reversed in time.
That pass from Ewels was quality, why don't we do more of that?
Christ, the ref was awful. I know nothing about the game and I could still spot all his mistakes.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 01:09
Decent win in the end albeit against terrible opposition. The first 20 was our usual inability to do, literally, anything right. Absolutely dreadful, but got better as game went on and unlike against Newcastle, this time it only lasted 20mins not 40.

No idea what's wrong with Kahn, he's been playing in slow motion since he came back from Samoa duty in November.

We stumble on...

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 01:17
...and into 3rd no less, with Glos to play Tigers tomorrow and Wasps away at Quins.

Next week against Falcons is huge, especially with them away at Sarries this weekend.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 07:28
Note to self - bookmark bo’s post just in case someone asks me for a perfect example of ‘begrudging’.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 07:57
Quote:
ballsout
Decent win in the end albeit against terrible opposition.

Well nobody can argue against that, Saints were awful. We should have been well behind in the first quarter but they are just offering nothing at the moment.

Northampton interim director of rugby Alan Gaffney:

"Our restarts were terrible and our kicking game was woeful and our management of the game was woeful. We have got to get better in those areas.

Still, you can only play what’s in front of you and the scoreboard looked healthy at the end.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 08:20
Quote:
Beergoggles
.........and in front of an appalling referee.

We seem pretty united in this & cant be accused of being bad losers. We know that referees have a really hard job in the modern games but should they always be totally exempt from criticism by commentators? The worst they wil say is “I thought that was a bit harsh” Ben Kay seems to have set himself up or been set up as the oracle & yesterday he was excusing some crazy decision by Foley on the grounds that suddenly he was entitled to change the interpretation of the rules at the scrum. Healey was bemused. At know time was there a hint of criticism.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 09:17
I’d be really worried if I was a Saints fan.
For 15 mins they had us under the cosh, then when Bath came back they just folded.

With all that pressure in the last 20 we really should have scored the fourth try. That point may be very important. Will we regret it?

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 09:34
I’d love to see statistics showing how often forwards butcher positions within 10 metres of the line. Exeter might have a decent return , but god it’s frustrating when you know how much space is available wider out. The Ewels wrap showed the way. 3-4 pick and gos to keep them honest, a big lad wider of the breakdown, backs ready to strike.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 10:04
To their credit the team battled well to win whilst not playing well, liked Hurrell would be good if the club could find a way of keeping him.

Far too many penalties given away in 1st half and over the 80 mins no more than a 7 out of 10 performance.

Still no discernible attack plan A let alone plan B and C

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 10:06
Your describing the roles of Mercer and Underhill and Faletau so I think that's pretty solvable.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 10:08
On the referee issue could anyone work out why a penalty was awarded to Saints in the 2nd half. Healey criticised Bath for conceding a needless penalty but when they showed it in slow motion I couldn’t see the infringement. Healey interpreted Garvey’s frustration as being with his own players but I thought it was about the decision. What do there think as my knowledge of rugby laws is limited?

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 10:43
Think it was for holding on, BH. To be fair, I think the forwards were tiring at that stage and Gibson or Wood got in on the ball.

That was almost the only 'holding on' penalty the ref gave all night. His interpretation of the breakdown was inconsistent, to say the least. Soft, very strict penalties, like Philip's hand in the ruck in the first half, on the one hand then constantly letting players come through and play both team's 9 without penalty. It made for a stop-start game and I think Garvey was pretty confused by it.

Still... 65% possession and 69% territory! Season record I should think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2018 10:44 by dr.bath1865.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 12:04
Quote:
dr.bath1865
Still... 65% possession and 69% territory! Season record I should think.

Wow!! First time this season over 50% surely?

by
by (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 12:18
Watched the recording back this morning after seeing it live last night and the second half I'd say was the best we've looked all season. We've got some players with real dog in them, Hurrell, Brew, Kahn, Dunn and Philips, all of them making their presence felt. We might not be playing perfectly but every player came out at half time knowing their job and playing for each other. Stooke was my MotM but you could give it to 5 or 6 other players.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 12:40
Interesting. Had we lost this match there would have been the usual people making excuses about being without an entire first team, something never uttered by the beloved Exeter supporters. It’s all about attitude, application & physicality with a bit of tactical nous thrown in. That can be achieved with any group of decent players as we have shown. Obviously there are some matches at the highest level when the Faletaus, Louws, Watsons etc make a crucial difference but others who take their place & who buy into the club ethos can do an almost equally effective job.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 12:53
Banners showed again what we'll be missing and how crazy it was to find ourselves in a situation where we couldn't find the necessary funds to keep him.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 12:58
I was surprised how our pack was 2nd best in the scrum for much of the match (despite some utterly inconsistent refereeing). Thought we would have been stronger there. Changed with the subs but I thought the starting front row would've done better.
Maybe it had more to do with Charteris coming on for Ewel. Luke is a fair bit heavier.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 12:59
Quote:
Bath Hammer
making excuses about being without an entire first team, something never uttered by the beloved Exeter supporters.

Only because their players never get selected for internationals! Until recently it was normally just Nowell and occasionally Slade.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 13:02
Thought Thomas came on and ran some strong angles. Hopefully he can stay fit for an extended period.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 13:30
Quote:
OutsideBath
Banners showed again what we'll be missing and how crazy it was to find ourselves in a situation where we couldn't find the necessary funds to keep him.

First two scrums Saints totally dominated , then slowly fell off. I thought the Bath props hung in and showed better fitness. Kieran Brookes was panting like an old man.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 14:45
Quote:
Danchinho
I was surprised how our pack was 2nd best in the scrum for much of the match (despite some utterly inconsistent refereeing). Thought we would have been stronger there. Changed with the subs but I thought the starting front row would've done better.
Maybe it had more to do with Charteris coming on for Ewel. Luke is a fair bit heavier.

I think it was as much about their front row subs being much weaker than ours which were arguably stronger as a 3.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

12 February, 2018 16:36
[www.bathchronicle.co.uk] Tom Dunn's hand doesn't look too good in this summary

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 February, 2018 17:40
well that's something I wish I hadn't seen again...

MESSAGES->author
FourSticks (IP Logged)

12 February, 2018 17:40
Quote:
BoldanGrey
With all that pressure in the last 20 we really should have scored the fourth try. That point may be very important. Will we regret it?

Not nearly as must as the three points when conceding the game to Newcastle when we had been 13 points up, or the three to Gloucester when we deservedly went ahead and then fouled up a scrum, a lineout and then our defence on our own touchline.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net