rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Never In Doubt
Never In Doubt (IP Logged)

Weekend Results - Spoilers in Thread
10 February, 2018 15:55
Don't tell BoB but Worcs just beat Exeter ..... I guess all those criticising everything about Bath should also look away. It is a very competitive league.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: Weekend Results - Spoilers in Thread
10 February, 2018 15:57
Shirley you musht be mishtaken?

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 16:05
Nope, I had to check 3 sources in case of typo or repeated typo (especially as I first saw it on the BBC).

The impossible has happened, Exeter have lost a rugby match.... At home... against the team rankeda11th in the league... On a weekend when Bath won... I've been assured that all of these event I dicidually are virtually impossible, let alone combined

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 16:07
No doubt BoB wishes he'd got stuck on the motorway today!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 16:14
We beat wuss, wuss beat Exe, Exe beat us. Crazy league this year, itís great!

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 16:34
One of the lowest scoring matches in Premiership history I'd guess.

Gloucester into 3rd with a LBP for Tigers.
Sarries easy winners against Falcons.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 17:48
If we can beat Falcons next week we have some real breathing space in the top 6

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 17:51
Prediction league shows more think that we wonít than will (beat Newcastle).

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 18:41
Quote:
BathMatt53
Prediction league shows more think that we wonít than will (beat Newcastle).

Including one who has predicted a home win 221-22! Think they may have meant 21-22 but who knows!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 22:50
That Chiefs home league loss is the first since we beat them at Sandy Park in October 2016. Some record.

Most of us would have bet our houses on Exeter getting a try bonus point win against Worcester less their two current home internationals. Amazing result. Exeter were turgid and never threatened the Worcester ljne although enjoying about 70-75% of the possession. Worcester really took them on up front, contesting and winning the physical battles and by kicking deep and often to the corners, making the Chiefs having to turn, retreat and retrieve deep kicks and run from deep. The Chiefs had problems with their scrum and the front row got on the wrong side of the ref.

Their best player was Will Chudley when he came on as a replacement and added some real spark and invention to their play but it was all too late. Worcester have shown that they are beatable in their own back yard and by hard graft and bloody mindedness, get a result. Unlike us shipping over 40 points and being out of the game for at least 60 minutes!

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

10 February, 2018 22:56
This can only mean that a new Spa Hotel has just opened somewhere in Exeter and the Chiefs over indulged. Were they playing in those white fluffy slippers you (apparently) get to wear?

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 08:23
Quote:
Bathovalballer
That Chiefs home league loss is the first since we beat them at Sandy Park in October 2016. Some record.
Worcester have shown that they are beatable in their own back yard and by hard graft and bloody mindedness, get a result. Unlike us shipping over 40 points and being out of the game for at least 60 minutes!

But didn't we beat Worcester?

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 09:00
An Exe defeat is a thing of beauty and something to be celebrated, but let's not forgot this is their first home league defeat of the season whereas we have made a habit of losing at home.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 09:58
Quote:
OutsideBath
An Exe defeat is a thing of beauty and something to be celebrated, but let's not forgot this is their first home league defeat of the season whereas we have made a habit of losing at home.

Appreciate the sentiment but I very much doubt that a 6-5 win was a Ďthing of beautyí. Almost certainly one for the purists and Iíd wager a fair number of reset scrums. Good to know Exe are fallible though.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 11:19
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:
OutsideBath

Appreciate the sentiment but I very much doubt that a 6-5 win was a Ďthing of beautyí. Almost certainly one for the purists and Iíd wager a fair number of reset scrums. Good to know Exe are fallible though.

It's not so much the quality of game, but the fact a team on my list of intensely disliked teams has lost.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 14:20

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 14:25
But I have to take my hat off to Waspies, phenomenal effort

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 14:30
Quins not helping themselves, but Wasps impressive with only 14 men for 60+ minutes.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 14:35
Kyle been learning tackling from Fazlet.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 14:50
Looks like Glos and Wasps have found the consistency we lack, putting top 4 beyond us. A win at Newcastle and we can, at least, start to relax about CRC Rudy next year.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 15:57
I do think thereís a bit of difference between Wasps & Gloucester. The latter canít be that much more consistent than us as they only have a one point advantage.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 16:06
Wasps had a bad run in October when we were quite a few points ahead of them, but since then have been pretty consistent. Feels as though they are in to their work now, while we still donít really know our place on the scheme of things.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 16:59
Wasps demonstrated today what can be achieved with a coherent attack plan, maybe our management were watching and will now look to employ an attack coach.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 17:47
Quote:
Optimist
Looks like Glos and Wasps have found the consistency we lack, putting top 4 beyond us. A win at Newcastle and we can, at least, start to relax about CRC Rudy next year.

Don't really see it that way yet. Yes, overhauling Wasps looks a very tough task but Glaws are just one point ahead, we have a far better game points difference and there is the Kingsholm derby to come

Next week Glaws have Wuss away and the Warriors will have gained massive confidence from this weekend, far from a gimme. If Todd can get players to build on the last 60 minutes of the Saints game and come away with 4 points then it really is up for grabs

A lot will happen in the next 8 games

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 18:08
Quote:
gaz59
Quote:
Optimist

Don't really see it that way yet. Yes, overhauling Wasps looks a very tough task but Glaws are just one point ahead, we have a far better game points difference and there is the Kingsholm derby to come

Next week Glaws have Wuss away and the Warriors will have gained massive confidence from this weekend, far from a gimme. If Todd can get players to build on the last 60 minutes of the Saints game and come away with 4 points then it really is up for grabs

The problem is we have Falcons, Sharks and Quins during the 6N which is hard to see us getting much change from with the amount of players we are missing. After that run of games we could be in trouble for 6th place.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 18:17
Yep, let's give up now, there's no hope.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 18:24
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
gaz59
Quote:
Optimist

The problem is we have Falcons, Sharks and Quins during the 6N which is hard to see us getting much change from with the amount of players we are missing. After that run of games we could be in trouble for 6th place.

Course Quins looked fantastic today and won't be missing anyone either...... oh hang on..

bathstigg
bathstigg (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 18:28
You obviously didnít watch the Quins game OB? 15 vs 14 and they lost by 22 points at home. We might get the Win at the Stoop and beat Sale at home. Newcastle away will be difficult. If Gloucester get momentum early on At Kingsholm from experience we will find it tough but hopefully by that stage we will have a stronger squad to choose from.

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 18:32
No bathstigg...didn't you get the memo. Only rampant pessimism is allowed on here.

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 18:56
Quote:
bathstigg
You obviously didnít watch the Quins game OB? 15 vs 14 and they lost by 22 points at home. We might get the Win at the Stoop and beat Sale at home. Newcastle away will be difficult. If Gloucester get momentum early on At Kingsholm from experience we will find it tough but hopefully by that stage we will have a stronger squad to choose from.

I did actually and Quinn's did butcher at least 4 easy chances.

However what struck me more was how good a team Wasps are because they actually know how to attack.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 19:16
Quote:
OutsideBath

Yes - those teams are virtually unbeatable. Just look at the table. Mind you, we did just about sneak a win against Saints with a team of first choice players missing.(Sm141)

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 20:37
Quote:
Optimist

Wut???

Weíre 1 point behind with 8 games to play.

Stuart

Former ed.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Weekend Results - Spoilers in Thread
11 February, 2018 21:20
Glos v Wasps on 24th will be interesting. Glos also have to play Exe and Sarries away so our remaining fixtures arenít that unusual.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 21:25
ĎBeyond usí is a bit overstated, true, but iím Not feeling it. Convincing win at Newcastle and we could get on the necessary roll.

bathstigg
bathstigg (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 22:25
We are already on a roll 4 consecutive wins. Long may it continue.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 22:38
Quote:
Optimist

We need to stop our messing around. We'd better think of our future. It's time to straighten right out. There are many problems in town.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

11 February, 2018 23:11
Quote:
hasta
Quote:
Optimist

We need to stop our messing around. We'd better think of our future. It's time to straighten right out. There are many problems in town.

Who's the message to?

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

12 February, 2018 06:56
A message to you, roogby.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

12 February, 2018 12:48
Slightly glass half-empty predictions for us, Glos and Wasps. Reverse the Kingsholm prediction, or a Glos slip-up at Wuss, and we could make top 4, and an away semi. Unless we have our absolutely first-choice 23 fit and available, and having had a game or two to gel, I see only disappointment should we reach the play-offs anyway.

US: 19 pts

Newc, a - 1pt
Sale, h - 4pts
Quins, a - 4pts
Exe, h - 0pts
Sarries, a - 0pts
Leics, ha - 4pts
Glos, a - 1pt
LI, h - 5pts

Glos: 23 pts
Wuss, a - 4pts
Wasps, h - 1pt
Newc, h - 4pts
LI, a - 5pts
Exe, a - 0pt
Quins, h - 5pts
Bath, h - 4pts
Sarries, a - 0pt

Wasps: 27 pts
Exe, h - 1pt
Glos, a - 4pt
LI, h - 5pt
Leics, a - 4pt
Sale, a - 4pt
Wuss, h - 4pt
Saints, h - 4pt
Newc, a - 1pt

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 February, 2018 12:57
We have been playing at a mid table level for most of the season so I don't think that most of us could argue with a mid-table finish?

6th or above would be fine for me, top 4 pretty amazing considering how we have been playing, but not impossible of course.

As you say opti, away at Exe or Sarries in a playoff would be a long shot at the business end of the season unless we seriously up our game.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

12 February, 2018 13:04
The Euro cups might play their usual part in this, Sarries, Newc and Glos are still in their cup comps.

The AWC is less of a distraction I think though the clubs might not admit that.

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 14:11
I really don't understand why some on this board are obsessed with getting into the top four, for me top 6 is fine as we will then get back into the champs cup. Whoever gets 4th place will either be away to Exeter or Sarries in the play offs and will be absolutely shredded. When they are not impacted by 6N call ups they will both beat every other side in the league.
Oh and by the way, we definitely left a TBP out on the park on Friday night, however, there does seem to be a decent gap in the table between the top 6 and the rest.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 14:19
Pretty sure it's because the point of any competition is to win it.

Sarries weren't affected by 6N when they lost to us. They also weren't affected when they lost 7 in a row earlier in the season. Exeter weren't missing as many as us and they lost at home to the 11th placed team.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 14:24
I'm with Hasta

Half full.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

13 February, 2018 14:31
Quote:
nick holder
I really don't understand why some on this board are obsessed with getting into the top four, for me top 6 is fine as we will then get back into the champs cup. Whoever gets 4th place will either be away to Exeter or Sarries in the play offs and will be absolutely shredded. When they are not impacted by 6N call ups they will both beat every other side in the league.
Oh and by the way, we definitely left a TBP out on the park on Friday night, however, there does seem to be a decent gap in the table between the top 6 and the rest.

Whatís the point of getting into the champs cup then? We wonít win that either!

Surely itís good to have goals?

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

14 February, 2018 07:56
I think there is significant value in getting in the top 6 as it helps to attract better players and this should help improve the team. Secondly, there is the financial advantage of being in the Champs cup which should not be under estimated. I think that we have just become like those football teams who have no chance on toppling Man City but are desperate to get into the top 4. I honestly think that Sarries and Exeter at home will both win their SF whoever they play.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 February, 2018 08:48
Quote:
nick holder
I think there is significant value in getting in the top 6 as it helps to attract better players

Would top 4 not be even more attractive for them? I realise the step change for the big euro cup but I would have thought the higher the better?

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

14 February, 2018 08:56
Quote:
Optimist
A message to you, roogby.

Class post but completely wasted on ere, I'm afraid Opti

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

14 February, 2018 10:53
I'd prefer us to get into the top 4 than the top 6, but only because it means we will have won more games in the run-in, not because it gives us the opportunity to have a fruitless day out in Exeter, Coventry or London.

And it's not that I don't believe that our absolute optimum 23 couldn't win a play-off semi away from home - it's just that the chances of our optimum 23 all being available is less than zero.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 February, 2018 11:27
Quote:
Optimist
I'd prefer us to get into the top 4 than the top 6, but only because it means we will have won more games in the run-in, not because it gives us the opportunity to have a fruitless day out in Exeter, Coventry or London.
And it's not that I don't believe that our absolute optimum 23 couldn't win a play-off semi away from home - it's just that the chances of our optimum 23 all being available is less than zero.

spot on.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

15 February, 2018 13:22
The Premiership is the main reason for our team to exist. We should be all out trying to win it under all circumstances. What have the odds of success got to do with it?

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

15 February, 2018 13:44
http://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/never-tell-me-the-odds-gif.gif

by
by (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 17:01
Wuss done us a favour beating Gloucester at Sixways,

Tigers, Quins and Saints looking worse than us.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 17:09
Quote:
by
Wuss done us a favour beating Gloucester at Sixways,
Tigers, Quins and Saints looking worse than us.

Tigers and Quinn's didn't look worse than us from my armchair.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 17:14
To use the dreaded designation, next week vs Sale is very much a Ďmust-winí. Lose that and itís a dogfight for top 6. After the next round, mathematically, we can be anywhere from 3rd to 9th. What a league! Lose Freddie and Garvey and Sale will be salivating.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 17:18
Near full strength Sale against patchwork Bath in turmoil, odds on for an easy Sale win you'd think.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 17:23
Are saying if we play like we have been we will beat Quins and Tigers? Whatever you are on tell us all, as we need your optimism.

Leicester's backs are beginning to gel and Toomua at 10 makes GF look poor.

Quins will just run us off our feet, especially if we do not make first up tackles.

More importantly and concerning is the coming game against a robust, physical Sale side who also have fast, skilful backs outside the rough, tough forward pack.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 17:26
Quote:
OutsideBath
Near full strength Sale against patchwork Bath in turmoil, odds on for an easy Sale win you'd think.

I will take those odds if you can show me the betting site? With home advantage I would have thought that they will have us pretty even or even slight favourites. As ever it just depends which Bath turns up...could be anything from a 30 point win to 30 point loss I would have thought. Internationals wonít help mind you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net