rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

'That was a pathetic performance'
16 February, 2018 23:59
Well for once someone at the top of the club, ie the Director of Rugby, has at least shown his anger and has spoken the truth. Lets hope the players feel the full force of his irritation and frustration with 'the team let the supporters down tonight right across the board.'

"It's just really disappointing. We actually started OK but then gave away so many penalties - eight in the first half - and there were 21 turnovers in the entire game.

"You're just not going to win when you do that and it's just simple basics. We just didn't look intelligent, we didn't look smart. You don't start well and you're just not on the front foot and it's a long way back from there."

So lets draw a line in the sand, for the umpteenth time this season, Bath Rugby players and start to put things right. Practice contesting the ball, running passing and catching, tackling which was appalling in the first and third try Newcastle scored, the ease at which our guys fell off or missed tackles is criminal in a lower league side let alone a professional one who are meant to have hours of practisng these basic skills.

As for intelligence, don't know where that is coming from with this group. IMO leadership on the field is non existent both from the captain and the senior players.

I sincerely hope we can keep Blackadder but feel for him as he is being so let down by people he has stood by and promoted. I am not saying we were going to win tonight but for goodness sake we can at least be competitive for 80 minutes and display and perform the most basic of skills mastered by most schoolboy sides. Todd must be at the point of despair and I sincerely hope he gives the players the biggest 'b--lick--g they have ever had and makes it plain their futures are on the line. If Todd doesn't, his future is obviously at risk and I think that would be a tragedy for Bath.

I do take some comfort in what Todd said to the media tonight, he has been honest and realistic, unlike previous incumbents of his position, which is at least a start. Now lets hope. and he has my backing, the gumption to follow it through and make some heads roll and hurt those underperformers as it is hurting the good name of our once proud rugby club.

I also suspect Bruce may be asking his appointed man in charge of the operation, what the blazes is going on under your watch Tarquin, after all the money I have given you to spend and by now should be seeing some consistent improvement? Certainly on the field and within the side it self, the departure of Banahan, the fact that the team still seem to play as individuals and lack of a will to win and any sort of fighting support of one another shows the whole edifice is on the point of collapse and Bruce is expected to stump up further millions to build a stadium that will never be filled the way things are going.

Co'meth the hour, co'meth the man. Our man is Todd and lets get behind him.

GeordieFalcon
GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)

Re: 'That was a pathetic performance'
17 February, 2018 00:03
No mention that we were by far the better side and it should have been a much heavier scoreline?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/02/2018 00:04 by GeordieFalcon.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 00:04
Oh right, so lots of backslapping for Todd and calls to get behind him but

Quote:
Bathovalballer
Oh my God! Not Williams.. He is even weaker than our illustrious useless weakling of a captain.

Quote:
Bathovalballer
a softie like Ewells

Quote:
Bathovalballer
Suggest Garvey be sent to Siberia he isn't worth any time in the sun

Quote:
Bathovalballer
the pampered personnel who masquerade as serious professional rugby players wearing our club colours

Quote:
Bathovalballer
if they threw away the loofers they use at the Spa and started to lift real weights, we might just might be able to win the very occasional arm wrestle

Quote:
Bathovalballer
We need some real muscle and a pile of grit up front which our present powder puff forwards can never aspire too.

is absolutely fine in your deranged, ignorant opinion?

I would love you to get away from the keyboard and call Garvey, someone who gives 100% every single game, a "useless weakling" to his face.

Time for you to F off I think.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 00:05
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
No mention that we were by far the better side and it should have been a much heavier scoreline?

Yes well done on being better than a Bath team missing 20+ players. Truly well done, magnificent stuff. Top notch trolling/gloating too.

Bathovalballer

17 February, 2018 00:17
How many times did Garvey loose the ball, once to Youngs the scrum half I believe?

Did he show any sort of leadership and gave his charges the necessary fillip or get more out of them? Don't think many saw that!

I am not taking anything away from Newcastle who played very well, but not flat out as Deano said (thank The Lord) 'They were in second gear' or otherwise it could and probably should have been a much greater defeat. One of the main reasons for Newcastle's win was their ability to play at pace with offloading skills and supported runners and their consistently winning the breakdowns or dislodging our ball. How many turn overs did Todd mention?

Come on Bath wake up, this is for real and not a practice.

Bathovalballer

17 February, 2018 00:29
So BO its all Todd's fault. Sack the coach and the squad will suddenly spring into looking and performing like a professional rugby team. I very much doubt it because their is evidently not the will or gumption in the present group of players to do it.

It would also mean much more if one of the players came to the microphone and explained to the throng what, why, when and how they played so badly, apollogised themselves and not hide behind the beleaguered let down coach. Don't see many stepping forward there! As I said, the problem lies with the present group of players.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 03:50
Actually, I thought he was suggesting we sack Tarquin rather than Todd but as usual the criticism of the players is exaggerated & wrongly based. I agree that letting a player like Banahan go shows a lack of understanding of his benefit to the team however. The fact that Todd made those comments was just as well but since we have folded in that exact same manner on 4 previous occasions, sometimes with the likes of Louw involved, gives no cause to believe that anything will change. For me, JimDaffís comments were more pertinent. We remain frustratingly inconsistent so failure to reach the top 6 is not a given, though we are certainly not top 4 material.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 06:31
Chronicle match report:

[www.bathchronicle.co.uk]

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 06:58
Quote:
Bath Hammer
We remain frustratingly inconsistent so failure to reach the top 6 is not a given, though we are certainly not top 4 material.

We're not inconsistent, we're a poor team that occasionally plays well, one game in four or five.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 07:14
We may be poor but there could well be 6 teams poorer than us. Everything is comparative, not finite.

pa8
pa8 (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 07:51
For the few seasons after we (falcons) were promoted we were a poor side with the odd good performance, hence we were always battling relegation.
On the other hand, you are not a poor side. The list of your unavailable players would produce a team that would probably push for top four. Youíre playing second, third and maybe fourth choice players against some clubsí first choice teams.
Admittedly it wasnít a great performance last night and the team hasnít reached the heights of your past teams but youíll still end up top six, which, considering your injuries/abstractions is no mean feat.
I donít think a poor side would have beaten Saracens or produced the performances you did against Toulon. Best of luck for the rest of the season.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 08:00
Quote:
pa8
For the few seasons after we (falcons) were promoted we were a poor side with the odd good performance, hence we were always battling relegation.
On the other hand, you are not a poor side. The list of your unavailable players would produce a team that would probably push for top four. Youíre playing second, third and maybe fourth choice players against some clubsí first choice teams.
Admittedly it wasnít a great performance last night and the team hasnít reached the heights of your past teams but youíll still end up top six, which, considering your injuries/abstractions is no mean feat.
I donít think a poor side would have beaten Saracens or produced the performances you did against Toulon. Best of luck for the rest of the season.

Thanks for the encouraging words pa8, we could do with a bit or TLC this morning... Another great result from your guys at home, 5 points never to be sniffed at. Keep up the good work!

wetside
wetside (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 08:14
Quote:
pa8

What a sensible well reasoned post.

I read this site a lot but post little. Like so many people I know.

BOB however is ruining this site for me with his bile. Time for the minority to speak up and for Bob to shut up methinks.

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 08:23
Could someone please clarify what exactly is our team at this point?

Is it the group of internationals who are playing away (or also injured)?
Is it the huge group of players who come and go on the injured list?
Is it the patchwork of individuals drafted in constantly to form a so-called team?
A mixture of all these things?

Or the individual that is Dave Attwood?

GeordieFalcon
GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 08:33
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
GeordieFalcon

Yes well done on being better than a Bath team missing 20+ players. Truly well done, magnificent stuff. Top notch trolling/gloating too.

Your not the only team missing key first team players.

Suck it up buttercup.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 08:41
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
GeordieFalcon

Your not the only team missing key first team players.

Suck it up buttercup.

Let's hear the twenty players you're missing? And the 3/7ths of a backline of temporary injury signings who've only just arrived?

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 08:42
Quote:
Bath Hammer
We may be poor but there could well be 6 teams poorer than us. Everything is comparative, not finite.

Agree, perhaps it's time to accept that our team is average mid table and that's it, although we can still hope for better (Sm128)

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 08:42
You really are a rude person GF.
Please go back to your dark hole.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 08:49
Quote:
Old Bath Tub
Quote:
Bath Hammer

Agree, perhaps it's time to accept that our team is average mid table and that's it, although we can still hope for better (Sm128)

And how long ago was it when we won at Newc?

Shorty Shorty iiv
Shorty Shorty iiv (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 08:55
This place is pathetic, every thread gets polluted with these playground rants at each other, itís worse than the BOD days... Sort it out...

ken_jnr
ken_jnr (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 09:05
This place has been the same since about 2006!

Multimike/Dangerous Bacon
BOD
Gareth
Bri
Malco

Others who Iíve probably forgotten. All of them posted polar views in huge volumes for a time and upset people. It then descends into petty point scoring between them and a vocally upset group of posters and eventually they go away due to a ban or a flounce. Meanwhile the more reasoned debate occurs over in Fudpuckerís Corner.

I usually employ a rule of ďanything past page 2 is definitely going to be either drivel or ranting, so donít overthink it.Ē It allows me to read interesting stuff and usually avoid the mudslinging.

The more it changes round Ďere...

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 09:08
Quote:
Boldangrey
Quote:
Old Bath Tub
Quote:
Bath Hammer

And how long ago was it when we won at Newc?

April 2015 19-29
Sept. 2013 0-21
Sept. 2011 9-22
April 2011 11-14
March 2010 13-17
April 2009 14-15

(Sm128)

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 09:42
Right - a couple of things.

1. Falcons are a very good side, well coached and play within their limitations - by that I mean they play to their players strenghs, a pitch which suits their play and at home or away they are very strong. In addition come internationals they do not lose too many and they have a strong team bond. I find it ridiculous that people on this board suggest we have a God given right to beat a team as good as Falcons especially in their back yard - they have proved the three times we have played them this year they can rip us apart.

2. TB is the key man at the club - Matt Garvey is trying each week to hold a fractious side together - why - because of the atmosphere within the club - pretty toxic yet again. I keep hearing people wanting us to play a free flowing game but simply we have not got the forwards to play it - we have no nasty go forward bal carrier or front row to put us on the front foot - I think without TF Paul Grant is our most effective ball carrier perhaps along with James Phillips.

Performances like last night underline there are serious issues within the club and this season is tinkering on a cliff edge - we could if allowed fall away to lower middle table.

The players have to accept their performances are not good enough - however there is loads going on behind the scene which is undermining the players confidence - Banahan being let go is a main one according to my player sources just because the negotiating team did not realize what he meant to the club not just on the playing side in addition the interference by the non-playing side. The suggestion is they do not trust the likes of Tarquin and where his true goal lies.

We need to get behind TB and the players and hopefully he can get them home in the top six.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 10:37
p.s. they were only too happy to make Banahan their "poster boy" and promote him as a 'celebrity' when it suited. That's the problem with having an accountant mentality with little emotional intelligence- i.e. how much is he worth? Funny that Glaws could see his 'worth'!

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 10:52
There is always a pattern to unexplained performances, at some point further down the line we hear what has upset the players.

The Banahan/Tarquin thing sounds plausible, but then there is the obvious problem with 20 players out and so many replacements new to the club, its hard to overlook that. Who do they train against?

Then there is the lack of head coach, never replaced.

The obvious answer is that the poor form is a result of all 3 together.

What's nearly as bad is coming on here and reading all the childish insults towards individual players. No point in that.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 11:04
We need to be clear that all our moaning about Bath's performance doesn't mean that we consider Newcastle are an inferior side whom we should always beat. Far from it. It was never going to be an easy game for us & we do respect how Falcons have progressed & play a really exciting brand of rugby. Our concern that in yet another game, regardless of the opposition, we were so easy to score against & didn't perform at a level we expect. It wasn't all about losing but the manner in which we succumbed.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 11:04
Quote:
Ali1969
I find it ridiculous that people on this board suggest we have a God given right to beat a team as good as Falcons especially in their back yard

No one is suggesting that we have a god given right to beat them.

What I do expect us to be able to do though; is display the bare minimum of cohesion and intelligence on the field. I don't expect us to smash them, I expect us to be able to hold onto the ball for longer than two phases. Something we seem incapable of doing 90% of the time. We lost the ball TWENTY ONE TIMES last night; our ball retention has always been terrible but that's just pathetic. Impossible to win with stats like that. Our basics in general are shocking and have been for a while. THAT is what I think we should expect 100% of the time.

Oh and people saying "well there are six teams worse than us" are missing the point. Tigers have won who knows how many trophies this past decade and Quins and Saints won the Premiership in recent year. What have we achieved in years?

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 11:09
Quote:
B4thB4ck
What's nearly as bad is coming on here and reading all the childish insults towards individual players. No point in that.

Just to remind everyone that criticism of a player or coaches is acceptable but personal abuse and insults are not acceptable. Please read the rules which are very clear.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 11:28
Unlike BoB I could not afford the travel cost to see it live, but the performance was obviously dire.

I think a little perspective is needed.

5th plays 6th away from home at a venue where we havenít won since 2015. An LBP was a realistic expectation and we fell well short.

A far worse performance and one which truly cost us league position was surrendering a massive lead to them when we lost at the Rec in the autumn.

BathPatriot
BathPatriot (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 11:32
No one died. Itís only a game. I always want my team to win and yes they are truly trash at the moment but in the end it does not really matter in the larger scale of things.

Bathovalballer

17 February, 2018 11:43
You are probably very right Boldng but the unforgiveable thing is we obviously learnt nothing from that previous game against us, the way they play, the dangerous players and worst of all the lack of physicality and desire needed to beat Newcastle.

Have just watched Sale and Sarries and my how the Sale physicality and enthusiasm rocked Sarries and even Sanderson their coach said in the post match interview that is what they always expect at Sale's home. Wish other sides thought that about coming to the Rec instead of being gifted easy points as has happened for much of this season.

MESSAGES->author
JimDaff (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 12:20
One positive for me was we showed some character at the end to push for the try, I think we had three penalties after the 80mins were up and managed the score which put us into double figures. Most sides would have tapped them sent the ball into the stands.

Bathovalballer

17 February, 2018 12:32
Partly agree JD but shouldn't we have shown that fight and determination for the full 80 and in particular the first 20 minutes of the game? We might have got close to getting a result then.

After a relatively good and slightly unexpected start to the season, it is just so galling how we have fallen away and whilst other sides have improved and gelled, with our inability to string together even basic skills, we have gone backwards. Why?

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 12:47
Quote:
Bathovalballer
You are probably very right Boldng but the unforgiveable thing is we obviously learnt nothing from that previous game against us, the way they play, the dangerous players and worst of all the lack of physicality and desire needed to beat Newcastle.
Have just watched Sale and Sarries and my how the Sale physicality and enthusiasm rocked Sarries and even Sanderson their coach said in the post match interview that is what they always expect at Sale's home. Wish other sides thought that about coming to the Rec instead of being gifted easy points as has happened for much of this season.

But BoB we're not a bad side. It's the inconsistency. Injuries and absences don't help, but it's mostly in the head.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 12:54
Quote:
Boldangrey
Quote:
Bathovalballer

But BoB we're not a bad side. It's the inconsistency. Injuries and absences don't help, but it's mostly in the head.

Lol.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 14:18
"One positive for me was we showed some character at the end to push for the try."

Blasphemy! Looking for positives on the sabbath*. You realise we'll never reach nirvana*** like that.

* Rugby sabbath being the day after a defeat and not necessarily a Sunday**.

** Or whatever.

*** Exeter

Bathovalballer

17 February, 2018 14:23
On paper and looking at our playing squad, facilities, financial backing etc, we should be at least competing and possibly in with a shout in most competitions.

For reasons unknown, whether psychological or not, we seem unable to produce anything like the results the sum of the parts should do.

Why?

After our relatively good start to the season, we have fallen away and regressed whereas the oppositions have gelled and improved as you would expect. Certainly on reflection, the home loss to Newcastle after establishing that lead, was probably where it started to go wrong.

Other sides now know if they run hard and straight and offload, because of our seemingly weak tackling and lack of competiveness over the ball, know we will fall away. Its no good scoring a few points at the death so giving an impression of a close game, when we have been on the back foot and not truly in the game for the other 70 minutes or so.

Whatever is going on needs to be shaken up and players and coaches made to realise their responsibilities and taken out of their comfort zones. For instance if we play so badly away from home, why not train at other venues apart from Farleigh? Eddie Jones does it to test international players and put them in unfamiliar surroundings, testing their abilities to adapt and play in a different environment.

C'mon Bath get a grip and start to produce some improvements and stop this decline. I am sure all the supporters would wholeheartedly get behind a side seen and doing their utmost to play well even if we get beaten by a better side on the day. Cut out the basic mistakes, produce skills under pressure, stop giving away dumb penalties (speaking to a ref who said a team always transgressing will get pinged more in 50/50 situations because they have a reputation), and start competing at the start of a game, not in the 70th minute.

On current form, most sides in the Prem must rub their hands with glee at the thought of playing us, lets just hope they become complacent. I dread to think what Sarries and Exeter will do to us and am seriously worried about Gloucester away.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 14:59
Turnovers conceded by Bath Ė 22
Penalties conceded by Bath Ė 11
Tackle success by Bath Ė 75%
Scrum success for Bath Ė 77%

Those numbers just about sum up this season and how poor a side we've become.

As TB said it's just pathetic.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 15:00
Bob, Sorry but this wallowing in Bath's failure and repeating the same thing over and over again is now gone past annoying.

Until you know something and can back it up with confirmation please stop. Its not all about you.

On a much more important note we just had an EARTHQUAKE in South Wales. Not at all sure I did the right thing buy shouting at the wife telling her to stop bouncing down stairs! I think I might just have lost my conjugals. (Sm136)

annie blackthorn

17 February, 2018 15:09
I know he does go on a bit, but I'm with BoB!

I have no idea what is 'wrong' but sure as heck, something is not right.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 15:45
Quote:
annie blackthorn
I know he does go on a bit, but I'm with BoB!
I have no idea what is 'wrong' but sure as heck, something is not right.

Actually you are not with BoB at all Annie, you are with 99% of people on this board who are massively disappointed at last nights performance.

BoB is loving it!

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 16:19
I'm still wanting to see BoB call Garvey a "useless weakling" to his face.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 17:20
Iím happy to supply a stepladder?

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 17:39
I agree, that was a pathetic performance today from our friends at Castle Grim even Bath, who are so rubbish this season with no skill or attitude, managed to get 5 points when they played away to Worcester.[:wor kid:]

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 17:40
It's simple, Newcastle were the better team and could probably have made the scoreline more emphatic.
They're well drilled and can play their style even without 1st choice players.
Dean Richards is clearly an excellent coach and he's really getting it together up there. More impressive still considering they're lack of big reputation and big money.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 18:01
It's got naff all to do with supposed inconsistently

Look at blunt facts in the 'chase for 4th place'

We lost 10 - 2 on league points to Falcons

We are already 4 - 1 down against Glaws with the away leg to come

In the struggle to retain 6th spot we are up against Tigers and Sale, hardly a foregone conclusion we will 'enjoy' Champions Cup rugby next year

As I said on another thread, something's gotta change. At the very least a new coach needs to come in to replace Taps, we need some new ideas, new energy and more support for the coaching team. Otherwise there will some P45s being dished out before end of season.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 19:09
I agree weíve been playing terribly, last nightís United game in particular.

Yet with 7 to play we are only a single point from the playoffs, not struggling with relegation.

So just as we went quickly from good results to awful ones, we now need to go in the opposite direction just as quickly. We could do with some returners do we can put out something vaguely resembling our first team

Stuart

Former ed.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 19:18
Quote:
ballsout
I'm still wanting to see BoB call Garvey a "useless weakling" to his face.

Particularly when the guy is playing with lumps of stainless steel holding his neck together.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 19:18
Quote:
gaz59
As I said on another thread, something's gotta change. At the very least a new coach needs to come in to replace Taps, we need some new ideas, new energy and more support for the coaching team. Otherwise there will some P45s being dished out before end of season.

I definitely wasn't a fan of coaching changes, but things are now so bad P45's have got to be handed out to some of the coaching team. Although no point doing it before the end of the season.

I'd also have some P45's for senior management as well as they are just as culpable.

No idea who is available or willing to take basket case Bath on but there must be someone.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 19:32
The lack of consistency poses an odd problem for the coaches, we win enough so you can't go for a siege mentality but we lose just as many so you can't easily build confidence by telling the players they are great.

Where's that psychologist these days?

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 20:35
It seems to me there are people on this site who need an optorectomy.

This is a very simple procedure. You go to hospital and the nerve between your eyes and your ar**hole is severed thereby alleviating a shitty outlook on life!

Have a nice day.

BnG

wetside
wetside (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 20:44
[quote Boldangrey]It seems to me there are people on this site who need an optorectomy.

This is a very simple procedure. You go to hospital and the nerve between your eyes and your ar**hole is severed thereby alleviating a shitty outlook on life!

Have a nice day.

BnG[/tquote]

+100

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 21:01
Aaaa...one...two...three:

ĎSome things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best
And...

Always look on the bright side of life
Always look on the light side of lifeí

Etc.

Bathovalballer

17 February, 2018 21:46
Deluded. Utterly deluded. If that persists with the management we will be where London Irish are next season. Mark my words!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 21:50
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Deluded. Utterly deluded. If that persists with the management we will be where London Irish are next season. Mark my words!

Reading?

Bathovalballer

17 February, 2018 21:53
In the league dear chap.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 22:09
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Bathovalballer

Reading?

No no anything but Reading.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 22:14
Quote:
ballsout
Oh and people saying "well there are six teams worse than us" are missing the point. Tigers have won who knows how many trophies this past decade and Quins and Saints won the Premiership in recent year. What have we achieved in years?

I wasnít implying that I was happy about the possibility of us only finishing above 6 other teams. I actually agree with your above comment which I have said myself on this board.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 22:20
Quote:
BathMatt53
Aaaa...one...two...three:
ĎSome things in Bath are bad
Garvie makes you mad
Charlie Ewels make you swear and curse
When you're chewing on life's gristle
And Carly blows his whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best
And...

Always look on the bright side of Bath
Always look on the light side of Bathí

Etc.

I heard they were looking for a new chant/song so I fixed it for you, Matt.
With apologies to BoB.

Thinks. Should I put an emoji?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 22:28
Lol, love it!

BLUE. BLACK. WHITE.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 22:30
Quote:
gaz59
It's got naff all to do with supposed inconsistently
Look at blunt facts in the 'chase for 4th place'

We lost 10 - 2 on league points to Falcons

We are already 4 - 1 down against Glaws with the away leg to come

In the struggle to retain 6th spot we are up against Tigers and Sale, hardly a foregone conclusion we will 'enjoy' Champions Cup rugby next year

It is to do with inconsistency because we have had some good wins as well as bad defeats & we are within a point or two those teams. I canít imagine anyone is saying it is a given we will finish in the top 6 but if we have enough players to put a team out thereís a good chance we will.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

17 February, 2018 22:37
Not meant in relation to last nights result but, top 3 aside most of the teams appear inconsistent. On the Glos board some are saying Ďthere is no way we will finish top 4í. But in reality, who will really push them? They probably donít have to be that magnificent on the run in (before getting taken apart at Sandy Park).

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 08:12
What struck me about the team on Friday night was just how temporary it looked, how many of those players would we have expected to be getting regular games time at the start of the season. And thatís not even taking account of all those that have arrived during the season. None of this really excuses the dropped ball, silly penalties or missed tackles these are professionals after all.

How many millions of pounds are being spent on players that are not playing? It must be a simply stunning amount. I understand that on average 25% of a squad is injured at anytime, but feels like itís the top 25% of our squad that are absent the most.

With all this we are still only a point away from the play offs.... Not facing relegation. So hopefully this embarrassment will help the team refocus on the rest of the season.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 08:20
Isnít our squad about 45 people and we have about 20 injured (not counting the internationals). I guess the first team players will always be the ones to get injured as they should play more but you are 100% correct it must be over half of the playing wages. Priestland, TF and Flouw must account for over a million a year for starters I would have thought.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 08:32
Hey, don't speak ill of reading. Reading isn't important because it helps get you a job. It's important because it gives you room to exist beyond the reality you're given. Reading makes the world better. It is how humans merge. How minds connect. Dreams. Empathy. Understanding. Escape. Reading is love in action.

Swindon, however, can @#$%& off.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 09:26
Quote:
BathMatt53
Not meant in relation to last nights result but, top 3 aside most of the teams appear inconsistent. On the Glos board some are saying Ďthere is no way we will finish top 4í. But in reality, who will really push them? They probably donít have to be that magnificent on the run in (before getting taken apart at Sandy Park).

Nail on the head. I have been maintaining this for a long time. Prime reason for inconsistency is because of the large number of injuries/absentees that all of the clubs have. The game has become much harder and players are playing too often. Sarries and Ex succede because of their better strength in depth.

It is a symptom of a deeper problem within English rugby.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 09:35
Quote:
Boldangrey
Quote:
BathMatt53

Nail on the head. I have been maintaining this for a long time. Prime reason for inconsistency is because of the large number of injuries/absentees that all of the clubs have. The game has become much harder and players are playing too often. Sarries and Ex succede because of their better strength in depth.

It is a symptom of a deeper problem within English rugby.

Precisely, this may well wreck our RWC chances, if its bringing down well funded club sides its only a matter of time before it transfers to the national side.

It will be interesting to see how England go at the weekend.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 09:40
Plus the knock on effect of a Lions tour. The 6 n after is always disrupted - too much rugby, inadequate pre season etc.

Woodward, who may not be everyone's favourite, reckoned a Lions tour resulted in a wasted season when he was developing a winning RWC team..

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 09:50
So what should change, let's assume less rugby, if so which competitions are affected?

If the AWC stayed then could it become a straight knockout, forget the group stages?

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 10:03
Get rid of Lions tours for one.

Reduce the number of AIs and summer SH internationals.

Then abolish the play offs. The league is won by the most consistent team in the season.

AWC knock out - agreed.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 10:05
Quote:
dcsh
What struck me about the team on Friday night was just how temporary it looked, how many of those players would we have expected to be getting regular games time at the start of the season.

I see where youíre coming from but whereas in the past we have seen a bunch of academy players & misfis turning out in AP matches virtually everyone one of those representing Bath on Friday were extremely good & experienced players by most peopleís standards. Who in the starting 15 would you feel would let down a first choice Bath squad?

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 10:54
It wasnít really a point about their quality, it was the about the sheer number of players on loan, short term or one year deals, add to the those that are rumoured to be leaving. It just made me feel it was a very temporary Bath team.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 13:40
Are we taking about bath or the ap in general?

At bath we do seem to have a long running (several seasons) high injury list. Is this higher than any other club? My feeling is that it is, but I may be wrong. If it's may only consistently us, then it's but an issue with the lions, aw or the amount of rugby in general. If we've got a problem there I'm sure we can kick off a whole bunch of reasons why our players are injured. Things like the DA move do make feel that there might be an issue at the club and it's as much to do with moral as physical injury. It doesn't seem isolated to our current coach.

If it is across the prem, then I think there's quite a few non-reasons. Does the lions really make THAT much difference over the usual summer tour? At the end of the day: Wales, Ireland and Scotland also contributed to that tour. The aw is a secondary tournament, it's a petty small addition, again, really a big impact? We've won two 6 nations, we'll probably come first or second in this one. Is there actually a problem there? We're under represented in the HEC this year, but previously we've done fine. Again, is there a problem?

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 14:30
Quote:
DanWiley
Does the lions really make THAT much difference over the usual summer tour? At the end of the day: Wales, Ireland and Scotland also contributed to that tour.

Yes it does. Teams are able to rest and rotate their squad far more in the Pro 14 than the Premiership.

As for why we've had such long injury lists in recent times? Our small squad compared to other teams probably contributes, with players over-played.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 16:36
So what are you saying that the problem is? That we don't treat or domestic competition as secondary? Even then, though we're having a bad season this year, historically ap clubs do pretty well in the HEC.

We've had a small squad a long time, borthwick-grewcock sorry of time, perhaps longer. This run of injuries had been a much more recent thing.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 16:36
So what are you saying that the problem is? That we don't treat or domestic competition as secondary? Even then, though we're having a bad season this year, historically ap clubs do pretty well in the HEC.

We've had a small squad a long time, borthwick-grewcock sorry of time, perhaps longer. This run of injuries had been a much more recent thing.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 16:39
If itís an issue that we donít treat the competition as secondary how does that tally with the other thread which discusses a perceived issue with the quality of the prem?

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 18:51
We had 3 players with the Lions, out of a squad of 45. And JJ hardly played. I don't think its made *that* much difference.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 18:54
Teams like Sarries gave their lions guys a decent rest as well. Wasps too.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 18:56
BnG Iíd go for all that except the Lions.
I especially dislike the play-offs and lack of a knock-out FA Cup style competition.
Pay-offs the worst.

HOP

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 19:24
"If itís an issue that we donít treat the competition as secondary how does that tally with the other thread which discusses a perceived issue with the quality of the prem?"

I think the quality of the prem issue is being well over stated. I can't see an issue with the national squad. I think we're just a bit depressed about our inconsistent, and occasionally very poor, performances at bath.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 21:13
Quote:
sid the seagull
BnG Iíd go for all that except the Lions.
I especially dislike the play-offs and lack of a knock-out FA Cup style competition.
Pay-offs the worst.

HOP

Sid none of it will happen because everyone wants the TV money.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

18 February, 2018 22:41
Yeah I know, (as you did when you posted).
However it is bewildering how the wealthiest pro set up in Europe (footie in Engerland) persists with ridiculous concepts like the league being won by the best team over the season and the romance of a knock out thingy.
Could it it be that they arenít ackcherly crazy whilst we canít even blame Rob Andrew anymOre.

FLAPFLAPFLAP

ps BO please donít read this you are unlikely to like it or understand it.

annie blackthorn

18 February, 2018 23:20
Surely the treatment and recovery of injuries is the responsibility of firstly of course the player, but just as importantly the quality of sports physios and/or also in serious cases, medical staff?

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 08:09
It is vital that we bounce back against Sale but Iím not sure we will. We seem to sleepwalk into matches & then pick up a bit of momentum. If we survive the first half as we miraculously did against Ospreys & somehow did against Saints we give ourselves a chance. However if teams get off to a good start, as Sale did against us at the AJ Bell, we can get taken apart. As the latter begins to happen more often it seems likely to be repeated. It will be exceedingly depressing if this is the case & we have to make the trip to Twickenham with nothing to play for apart from pride. One just hopes that the coaches & players see the significance of this game, in which we can barely put a team out, & find a way to get over the line.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 08:47
Quote:
annie blackthorn
Surely the treatment and recovery of injuries is the responsibility of firstly of course the player, but just as importantly the quality of sports physios and/or also in serious cases, medical staff?

I don't think treatment and recovery is a problem. It's the frequency that players pick up injuries and the severity if them.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 09:16
"One just hopes that the coaches & players see the significance of this game"

"in which we can barely put a team out"

It seems very unlikely that the people who make their living from being employed by a professional rugby team will not be able to look at the table and 'do the math'.

If we can 'barely put a team out', then we will almost certainly lose to Sale and no amount of 'seeing the significance of this game' is going to guarantee avoiding that.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 09:17
I've been away, didn't see the Newcastle game, but read this thread and here's my take:

There are sone things wrong at the club, probably both with the coaching set-up and management/recruitment, but unless you are on the inside, hard to say more. Clearly we aren't playing good rugby in any sustained kind of way.

Injures are not an excuse, luck is involved to some degree, but if over a period of a few seasons we are more adversely affected than the norm, then refer to point 1 - linked to both recruitment and how we play (retention/tackles made etc.). If one rugby club beats another rugby club, they beat them, no moaning about injuries.

BOB, I know what you think about the players and Farleigh house and all that and I know you actually believe this, you aren't a WUM (I think), but you are wrong, you said the same stuff when Mike Ford was here. If the players don't perform over a long period of time and players leave and new ones are recruited, refer back to point 1, something is up, Garvey is not a fairy.

Although I appreciate that some posters like to put a positive spin on things as an antidote to the gnashing and wailing by saying there are other more rubbish teams below us or its no shame to lose to a team who we lost to last year or its cold and dark away on a Friday night, but FFS, have a bit of ambition, this is Bath Rugby, not Ar$ehole Town RFC.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 10:02
That's a perfectly reasonable take on it all WP, and i'm sure you're right that not everything is a bed or roses. I do have ambition for Bath Rugby and, given that there's no shortage of resources that would make success impossible, I expect at some point in the next 4-5 years for Bath to win a major trophy.

As for the immediate future - I believe the following are 'reasons' not 'excuses'.

1. Injuries.
With a normal injury count, going into Friday's game, we would be favourites to win. A win would consolidate us in top 6, and leave us well placed for a tilt at top 4. That would constitute a decent season.

I think we are going to lose on Friday, and I think the reason we're going to lose is directly related to the sheer volume of injuries - the disruption this causes to selection and preparation and the pressure it puts on the depth of quality.

This is not an excuse. It's just a simple fact. Whether it's related to management mistakes 3 years ago is irrelevant. In the here and now, we will essentially be fielding a scratch team on Friday.

2. Stadium.
I'm pretty sure that an enormous amount of management time and resource is going into the stadium development. If they are successful (in the absolute broadest sense, not just in rugby terms - so architecture, economic impact, community sport facilities etc), then not just rugby fans, but all those who care about Bath will have cause to be immensely grateful to Bruce and his team. Whether this is currently impacting on the playing side and the results I have no idea, but i think it's possible, bordering on likely.

I'm pretty happy that someone is willing to build strong, long-term foundations for the Club, and the evidence of that commitment makes me much more forgiving of current on-pitch failings, because the inverse would be spectacularly short-sighted, IMO.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 10:07
I read each one of these comments and appreciate a lot of all of your arguments. It is good people get so passionate about the club but I also think at times that makes some of us on here a little one eyed and ignorant, no names named.

From watching Friday nights performance I wonder whether the issue with our consistency dates back to the Mike Ford era in a way. Under Ford we had a pretty small squad where, when fit, we had an obvious 1st XV which would have started week in week out.

Under Blackadder we have tried to move away from that, build a larger squad and have given other players a real chance. People like Dunn, Obano, Z Mercer, Stooke etc have really shone having probably not been in anyone's regular first team ideas when Todd first took over. The problem comes whenever we put out our perceived "weaker" squad members. I feel like at times the more established first team guys don't trust our weaker members particularly well, perhaps as a lasting result of the Ford era, and as a result we end up getting pulled across the pitch the whole time trying to cover people that don't need covering.

We all know after all that these guys can tackle as we have seen them do it plenty of times before already this season. It seems strange to me that you replace 5/6 players and suddenly the performance a week later is so much worse even if it is away from home.

How we rectify this I do not know but I find it remarkable that we can be so bad after a well fought home win a week before!

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 10:32
I feel it was inevitable that the squad size increased not just because we changed club strategy but also as a consequence of imposed HIA lay offs. They have added another layer of absence.

That doesn't mean you are wrong by any means BD, it is easier to build team spirit in a smaller squad than a large one so it may take a while. Problem is of course putting the same people on the pitch together regularly.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 10:41
I was with you Opti until the comment " I expect at some point in the next 4-5 years for Bath to win a major trophy." We simply do not have the foundations in place to achieve that.

Bath to some degree are shaping up like Arsenal who spent huge amount of money and time on a new stadium, but have achieved no success since moving from Highbury.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 10:55
Quote:
OutsideBath
I was with you Opti until the comment " I expect at some point in the next 4-5 years for Bath to win a major trophy." We simply do not have the foundations in place to achieve that.
Bath to some degree are shaping up like Arsenal who spent huge amount of money and time on a new stadium, but have achieved no success since moving from Highbury.

Sorry but that is rubbish, Arsenal have won 3 FA cups and I think 3 charity shields since moving fro Highbury in 2013.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 11:11
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
OutsideBath

Sorry but that is rubbish, Arsenal have won 3 FA cups and I think 3 charity shields since moving fro Highbury in 2013.

As an Arsenal and Bath supporter I have to say there are a number of quite valid comparisons between the two to be fair. The success aside (as Arsenal have won a few trophies of late) I would say that the similarities would be;

- Same inconsistency on the pitch - untouchable one week to can't catch/kick a ball the next...
- Same change in policy from developing home grown talent to a 1st team standard to buying in players (with the odd exception still)
- Same low spend policy previously on players to paying big bucks for a few bigger name players and it NOT working that well thus far..
- Same standard in their respective leagues as a perennial nearly team. Nearly won the League, nearly made the top 4 etc...

My weekends can be very sad when both teams go out and play dismally!! Alternatively a few years ago both teams were in a final on the same day - swings and roundabouts!!

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 11:16
I think we should stop blame Ford and move on. Good teams look at themselves honestly, poor teams look around to blame events of two seasons ago (or events the previous week).

" I expect at some point in the next 4-5 years for Bath to win a major trophy."

Teams I expect to win a major trophy over the next 4-5 years: Exeter, Sarries. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the purple patch ends for either of those two.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 11:17
FA Cups, maybe. Charity Shields? Good God that's scraping the barrel. That's even less prestigious than the Middlesex 7s.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 11:28
"We simply do not have the foundations in place to achieve that"

I'm beginning to think that scrum-half is the most important player on the pitch these days. It seems to me that the discipline, decision-making, fitness of the 9, and the willingness of the forwards to take his instructions, is absolutely paramount in executing and keeping a game-plan on track. Kahn has been up and down this year and may now be in decline. Even though he is still capable of some stunning periods of play - his last 50 minutes against Saints for example, but we can't afford for his first 20 minutes against Saints. Cook is too inconsistent.

I really hope that Chudley comes to us and proves to be a 20-game a season, 'heartbeat' of the side type of 9. There are, of course, other aspects of the squad that could do with extra strength - but the highs of this season prove what the squad is capable of. One more key cog might be all it takes to deliver that consistently?

Obano, Dunn, Thomas
Attwood, Ewels
Louw, Faletau, Underhill
Chudley, Priestland
Willison, JJ
Brew, Watson, Roko

Noguera/Catt, Walker
Stooke, Garvey/Mercer
Kahn/Cook, Burns, Homer/Atkins/Clark

I don't see that an 'on paper' squad can be significantly stronger than that?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 11:31
Quote:
hasta
FA Cups, maybe. Charity Shields? Good God that's scraping the barrel. That's even less prestigious than the Middlesex 7s.

I know that's tongue in cheek Hasta but the point is clubs do often dip during stadium building then bounce back afterwards. Arsenal are just one club, I'm talking generally.

If management are causing problems for the players it is inconceivable that they would be replaced since they are fundamental to the ground development.

The ground development is the identity of Bath rugby for years to come.

Bathovalballer

19 February, 2018 12:05
I may make reference to Farleigh house but realise as a club, we and the players and coaches are exceptionally lucky to have such facilities and support. Probably management are saying to the playing side well we have put in place at great expense these facilities and pay top salaries but are not consistently seeing much return for our commitments. Plus of course, to cement the club's long term future, millions are to be spent on a World class stadium.

The players must realise that this is not done lightly and they have a responsibility to at least show some improvement, over time, and provide consistent performance and results. Regrettably this is not occurring and one had to wonder is the motivation there, and if not, why not? They can by practice at least be expected to master basic skills and playing drills and moves, and robust tackling and mauling. Much of which was missing on Saturday and not for the first time this season.

Lets hope Todd is carrying through the aftermath of his press statements on Saturday and shall we say, be going to town on the match day squad!

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 12:35
BoB - I respect the more measured tone of that comment.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net