rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

Re: 'That was a pathetic performance'
19 February, 2018 13:12
Quote:
Optimist
"We simply do not have the foundations in place to achieve that"
I'm beginning to think that scrum-half is the most important player on the pitch these days. It seems to me that the discipline, decision-making, fitness of the 9, and the willingness of the forwards to take his instructions, is absolutely paramount in executing and keeping a game-plan on track.

I had wondered about this myself but I told myself that one player couldn't make that much difference.

We did have one of our best spell recently when Stringer was bossing the backs and Kahn on form was brilliant last year. If we get Chudley I think it will be a difference as he seems self assured and confident. What I find infuriating is how we sign talented back ups and don't use them.
Remember Jonny Evans, we released him back to Scarlets after him playing in a small handfull of games. He now drops in seamlessly at 9 at Scarlets in a side that is flying.

We are also releasing Josh Lewis who I feel has been underused. I still maintain we need 3 10's, who would we pick at 10 for Sale if Lewis wasn't available. For that matter who would play at 10 if this problem occurs next year?

Have to say Sale is going to be a very hard fixture.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 13:51
Quote:
shipwrecked

That depends on which Bath team turns up! At home it could be the good defensive side that played Saints a few weeks ago?

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

dragonfly
dragonfly (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 14:30
Quote:
OutsideBath
I'd also have some P45's for senior management as well as they are just as culpable.

No idea who is available or willing to take basket case Bath on but there must be someone.

And just HOW is sacking the management and causing another upheaval going to improve the skills and application of the playing side of bath Rugby?
Players need to "man up" and play.

Bath Supporter Jack

19 February, 2018 14:46
Opti

As you can imagine I do consider the 9 the absolute critical player on the field!

Followed by 7, 10, 8, 15 and 2!

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 14:57
in that order?

I know, I know. The minute you start saying one position is the most 'crucial' then you can think of reasons why your whole game plan falls apart if, for example, your hooker can't throw in straight, or if your 10 kicks aimlessly.

But watching Wasps yesterday, Robson is just so f'ing brilliant. Quick to the breakdown, passes off the floor, a running threat, decent enough kicker, but most importantly of all he doesn't let the forwards endlessly and gormlessly pick and drive 3 inches at a time. He mixes it up and keeps the tempo high. Chudley wasn't far off, though Exeter's forwards are more inclined to hog the ball in the red zone.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 15:03
Quote:
Chudley wasn't far off, though Exeter's forwards are more inclined to hog the ball in the red zone.

That's an Exeter strategy tho'. Which, in general, they are very good at.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 15:05
Hougaard and Faf are great examples of sharp sniping and passing 9s making their whole team tick, as is Scarlets' Gareth Davies as we know to our cost.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 15:13
[quote Optimist]BoB - I respect the more measured tone of that comment.[/quote)

+1

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 15:20
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
Optimist
"We simply do not have the foundations in place to achieve that"
I'm beginning to think that scrum-half is the most important player on the pitch these days. It seems to me that the discipline, decision-making, fitness of the 9, and the willingness of the forwards to take his instructions, is absolutely paramount in executing and keeping a game-plan on track.

I had wondered about this myself but I told myself that one player couldn't make that much difference.

We did have one of our best spell recently when Str
inger was bossing the backs and Kahn on form was brilliant last year. If we get Chudley I think it will be a difference as he seems self assured and confident. What I find infuriating is how we sign talented back ups and don't use them.
Remember Jonny Evans, we released him back to Scarlets after him playing in a small handfull of games. He now drops in seamlessly at 9 at Scarlets in a side that is flying.

We are also releasing Josh Lewis who I feel has been underused. I still maintain we need 3 10's, who would we pick at 10 for Sale if Lewis wasn't available. For that matter who would play at 10 if this problem occurs next year?

I wondered why we are releasing him as he has impressed when I’ve seen him & seems an ideal no. 3 though he may have higher ambitions. There are rumours about Chudley but as we Know nothing is certain until it is done & dusted.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 15:25
Chudley would be nice but there are very few 9s (or 10s) who can look good going backwards and off a ropey platform. Can't get Flouw and TF back soon enough in my view.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 15:45
Lewis clearly wanted to go back to Wales and it would be wrong - IMO - of the Club to stand in his way given that he has no chance of rising above 3rd choice here.

Club have said that they want a 3rd fly-half and hinted fairly strongly that it won't be Rory Jennings. Will be a tough job trying to convince anyone of any real quality to come in. Priestland won't get another look in for Wales now. Burns is behind Francis, Lozowski and Smith as England's back up to Ford/Faz. An experienced/SH 10 would have to be pretty lacking in ambition to take that job, there doesn't appear to be anyone at fly-half in our Academy, if it's a youngster they need to be on the point of breaking through somewhere, and if they're not on the point of breaking through then they manifestly aren't good enough.

Pretty sure we'll end up with a utility 10/12, which would make a lot more sense.

Tomato Soup
Tomato Soup (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 16:17
What on earth is going on at Bath.

Friday night was shameful but not surprising.

I would like to know what Bruce Craig thinks needs to be done to get our team on the right track and what plans we have in place to address the situation.

It would be good to have some honesty around the recruitment strategy, the decision to let our best second row forward walk off and what can be done to help the Friday night issue.

It would be refreshing for example for Bath to offer refunds on Friday nights if you can't make it and you let the club know 14-7 days in advance so that the ticket can be resold or reallocated.

We don't get much comms from Bruce or his team unless its about the stadium which to be frank is boring and never really progresses.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 16:56
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
OutsideBath
I was with you Opti until the comment " I expect at some point in the next 4-5 years for Bath to win a major trophy." We simply do not have the foundations in place to achieve that.
Bath to some degree are shaping up like Arsenal who spent huge amount of money and time on a new stadium, but have achieved no success since moving from Highbury.

Sorry but that is rubbish, Arsenal have won 3 FA cups and I think 3 charity shields since moving fro Highbury in 2013.

As an Arsenal fan I do not view 3 FA cups as success.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 17:01
Was friday night really 'shameful'? Or did Bath just play really badly in comparison with Newcastle and get stuffed as a result?

It would be good to have some honesty around the recruitment strategy, the decision to let our best second row forward walk off and what can be done to help the Friday night issue.

It's all been done to death. Are you expecting Bruce to personally come around your house to keep you updated?

It would be refreshing for example for Bath to offer refunds on Friday nights if you can't make it and you let the club know 14-7 days in advance so that the ticket can be resold or reallocated.

Why on earth would they do that? A season ticket is already quite a bit cheaper than individual games and also guarantees you a spot. There is a very obvious solution which is...don't buy one in the first place. There is also the ticket exchange. If they really cared about the fans they would just let us in for free, or perhaps pay us to attend?

One of the silliest posts I've seen on here for, well, hours. (Unless it was tongue in cheek and I have missed the joke?)

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 17:12
Some of you guys must have masochistic tendencies and are suckers for punishment. Supporting Bath Rugby and Arsenal Football Club! Lots of hope, promise, skillful players, World class facilities and top salaries and poor and inconsistent results! That could/ would send many a man over the edge. Just joking!/

But to be fair, Arsenal have won silverware in recent times unlike our goodselves. That's why I really advocate we go all out to win the Anglo Welsh Cup and hope it proves the spring board to future success.

Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa Rokoduguni

The Rock that is Semesa and how he will be rocking this season.

recman
recman (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 17:15
Quote:
Optimist
With a normal injury count, going into Friday's game, we would be favourites to win. A win would consolidate us in top 6, and leave us well placed for a tilt at top 4. That would constitute a decent season.
I think we are going to lose on Friday, and I think the reason we're going to lose is directly related to the sheer volume of injuries - the disruption this causes to selection and preparation and the pressure it puts on the depth of quality.

I had to double check, but, incredible as it seems, this weekend the game is actually on a Saturday afternoon.

One thing's for sure, Diamond will have them going all out to rip us apart in the first 20 minutes and demoralise us.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 17:54
"I would like to know what Bruce Craig thinks needs to be done to get our team on the right track"

Other than appoint the best DoR money can buy (I'm not saying that isn't Todd) and giving him resources to match I really think Bruce shouldn't have that much influence. That's the point of appointing a great DoR, he is the best you can get, let him implement his strategy.

Anything else is very little different from anyone of us going up to Todd and demanding he play to a particular plan. Even if we had the right to can any of us, including Bruce, say we've got more skills or experience than Todd?

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 18:01
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Some of you guys must have masochistic tendencies and are suckers for punishment. Supporting Bath Rugby and Arsenal Football Club! Lots of hope, promise, skillful players, World class facilities and top salaries and poor and inconsistent results! That could/ would send many a man over the edge. Just joking!

I'm a Bath and Arsenal fan as well and I don't think its a joke at all. It's all about the emotional journey. You can't appreciate the joy if you haven't suffered first. The hope may kill you in the end, but it does keep you going. What that says about us as people, we'd need a psychiatrist to work out smiling smiley

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 18:14
Quote:
recman
Quote:
Optimist
With a normal injury count, going into Friday's game, we would be favourites to win. A win would consolidate us in top 6, and leave us well placed for a tilt at top 4. That would constitute a decent season.
I think we are going to lose on Friday, and I think the reason we're going to lose is directly related to the sheer volume of injuries - the disruption this causes to selection and preparation and the pressure it puts on the depth of quality.

I had to double check, but, incredible as it seems, this weekend the game is actually on a Saturday afternoon.

One thing's for sure, Diamond will have them going all out to rip us apart in the first 20 minutes and demoralise us.

I was a bit worried the ground would be empty what with all these Arsenal supporters, but I checked and luckily they are playing on Sunday.

I'm wondering if that's the reason we have so many Friday night games?

Personally I think football is $hit

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 18:38
Quote:

So would I if I supported Arsenal

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 18:48
Quote:
hasta
Quote:

So would I if I supported Arsenal

Harsh, but for over 10 years it's felt that way.

Bathovalballer

19 February, 2018 19:08
I know I am 'old fashioned' and 'out of touch' according to my grown up children, but to read one or two things on this site describing a game, I find slightly shocking and wonder how it got past the moderating police. (I have tried to post 'in the vernacular' on occasions and found the system forced me to type something else.) Although I personally fell out of love with watching football many years ago because of the over inflated, hugely overpaid egos of the play acting players, I would not describe the game as 'excrement'!

Mind you I will keep that word in my lexicon if we witness another 'pathetic performance' from Bath Rugby this season.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

19 February, 2018 19:15
Move on BoB.

Bath Supporter Jack

19 February, 2018 23:05
Watch Bath bounce back this weekend...........consistent in their inconsistency!

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

20 February, 2018 04:25
I certainly will be supporting Bath & hoping they can bounce back yet again!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

20 February, 2018 08:26
I'm thinking of giving up supporting Bath, I mean what is wrong with us...we haven't won 3 Champions cups in 5 years and we haven't even got a proper stadium as an excuse.....

dick g
dick g (IP Logged)

20 February, 2018 12:56
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
No mention that we were by far the better side and it should have been a much heavier scoreline?

Yes well done on being better than a Bath team missing 20+ players. Truly well done, magnificent stuff. Top notch trolling/gloating too.

From Falconista not gloating. ....

Don't begrudge our celebrating. We have been bottom-dwellers for so long that our new found success has taken us to unfamiliar territory. We can only play the sides facing us. Depth of resources is an important part of the game and we have had our share of injuries including Sinoti who was out for some time.

Bathovalballer

22 February, 2018 17:10
I sincerely hope that Todd or anyone else connected to Bath Rugby never has grounds to make a statement subject of this thread ever again.

Lets just hope the plain speaking continued during this week's training and we see a vastly improved performance in a must win game this weekend!

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 17:27
"Pretty sure we'll end up with a utility 10/12, which would make a lot more sense"

It would though the type of 12 Todd seems to be looking for rarely has the ball skills for 10 with JPS an exception. Another option would be to move Homer to the wing as a Banners replacement [he has done a pretty good job there when required] and bring in a good 15 who can also play 10

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 17:38
Crikey, these stats tell a big story

[www.bathchronicle.co.uk]

We don't even feature on the Offload chart and our best stats in the important areas of clean breaks and metres made are pretty woeful

And if Bryn Evans is in the Sale team this weekend we can expect a tough day at the lineout, he is equal top of the steals

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 17:45
So basically the team aren't very good at anything?

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 17:48
"So basically the team aren't very good at anything?"

No, it says the individuals are very good at anything.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 18:22
Also that we have had a load of player rotation. Its a wonder that people like Dunn and Roko are even on the charts as they have missed significant chunks of the season.

Bath Supporter Jack

22 February, 2018 18:55
Someone on this thread asked what Bruce Craig can do apart from committing/"investing" in actuality SPENDING many millions in the rugby club and, in the end, building a venue appropriate for the 21st century and the City of Bath.

It is really, really simple........he has to anticipate someone being injured and has to substitute himself every time in for the player so that he gets injured instead.

Example.......BC realises that in 30 seconds Tom Dun is going to break/dislocate his fingers......immediately substituted and BC has his fingers broken. I can't think that that is too much to ask a clairvoyant 50+ year old gentleman to do on behalf of the team.

I have seen some silly posts on here but I think this one and that one takes the biscuit!

If we had Roko, Louw and Banners against Newcastle I suspect things would have been closer. I'm really not sure what more Mr Craig can do!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 19:19
Quote:
Bath Supporter
I'm really not sure what more Mr Craig can do!

He could find out who in his management team is responsible for the reported player unrest and sack them.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 19:25
My feeling, and it is just a feeling, is that Bruce does too much.

I was happy with him appointing Todd, from a rugby point of view that should be it.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 20:03
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
Bath Supporter
I'm really not sure what more Mr Craig can do!

He could find out who in his management team is responsible for the reported player unrest and sack them.

Bit difficult if it turns out to be himself! (Sm101)

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net