rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

Scotland v England
20 February, 2018 20:46
Zac Mercer isn't mentioned so do we get him back as well?

Looks like the backs will be unchanged.

Backs: Brown (Harlequins), Care (Harlequins), Farrell (Saracens), Ford (Leicester Tigers), Joseph (Bath Rugby), May (Leicester Tigers), Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Te'o (Worcester Warriors), Watson (Bath Rugby), Wigglesworth (Saracens).

Forwards: Cole (Leicester Tigers), Ewels (Bath Rugby), George (Saracens), Hartley (Northampton Saints), Haskell (Wasps), Hughes (Wasps), Itoje (Saracens), Kruis (Saracens), Lawes (Northampton Saints), Launchbury (Wasps), Marler (Harlequins), Robshaw (Harlequins), Underhill (Bath Rugby), Vunipola (Saracens), Williams (Exeter Chiefs).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/02/2018 22:22 by shipwrecked.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

Re: England v Scotland
20 February, 2018 21:05
Yeah Zach's already back. Good to see that Ewels is utterly pointlessly travelling as a fifth lock.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

Re: England v Scotland
20 February, 2018 21:44
Keeps him out of BoB's way!

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

Re: Scotland v England
21 February, 2018 00:36
Let England keep him. We are going to need our roughest, toughest forwards this weekend. Sale have a physical, hard nosed, competitive 8 as Saracens found last weekend. Regrettably IMO, Ewells is no better than Stooke, Douglas or at times, Phillips. We are going to need all the grunt and muscle we can muster on Saturday in an attempt to match their forwards. Sale are like Mr Diamond and reflect the hardness of the precious stone of his name!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 06:21
You must be the only person in the world who thinks that BoB. Strange huh?

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 08:17
This could be a painful encounter. It might be as well for our front row to wear nose guards (Sm100)

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 10:19
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Let England keep him. We are going to need our roughest, toughest forwards this weekend. Sale have a physical, hard nosed, competitive 8 as Saracens found last weekend. Regrettably IMO, Ewells is no better than Stooke, Douglas or at times, Phillips. We are going to need all the grunt and muscle we can muster on Saturday in an attempt to match their forwards. Sale are like Mr Diamond and reflect the hardness of the precious stone of his name!

Interesting, so you don't rate Ewells then?

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 11:39
Itís almost as if Eddie Jones and Steve Botthwick know more about international standard forward play than Bob.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 11:46
What does Steve Borthwick know about being a second row forward or lineout play ehh? He wouldn't know anything about agressive, hard hitting forward play either having only played with timid forwards like Danny Grewcock as his partner.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 13:08
I think Russell plays better with a guy like Horne in the centres but he still reminds me of Mike Catt. He struggles to pull the strings for 80 minutes at the top level without making some pretty big errors. I think they might be better to go with a steady guy at 10 and then play Russell at 12 with Jones at 13.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 13:14
He would still make the same errors, it would just mean that the opposition 13 would need to intercept rather than their 12...

Bathovalballer

21 February, 2018 13:33
I am not doubting Mr Ewells potential as those of much greater knowledge and player assessment than I keep picking him.

However, I can never recall Mr E ever producing for Bath a barn storming match display or huge ball carries, or dominating lineouts like I can recall from Mr Gewcock, Itoje or Launchbury and for that matter from Mr Stooke on occasions. IMO Stooke has outplayed Ewells everytime they have been on the field together.

Also, CE has been part of our bullied pack more than once, and, as this game on Saturday is absolutely vital must win, and will be won up front where we are going to need our most physical, robust forwards. Regrettably Mr Ewells has not shown he is up to it yet.

Letting a past World class lock like Grewcock go is IMO such a shame as he could be of such value in developing our second rows. I understand he fell out with MF who didn't appreciate his emphasis on the need for physicality but as we all know, that hard tough play is necessary to ensure a good supply of quick clean ball from the set piece and rucks and mauls. Mr Borthwick was able to thrive in the lineout because of the dirty, hard, support work done by Danny. When DG wasn't SB's partner, he wasn't so effective and he never carried or tackled like DG did.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 14:28
Another day, another insight. Iím reminded of Shane Warneís comment about Monty Panesar Ďhe hasnít played 30 Tests, heís played one Test 30 timesí.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

21 February, 2018 14:58
Quote:
Bathovalballer

I hope our forwards are rough and tough enough. A good amount of grovel would help too.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 09:17
No surprises in the team. Ewels not mentioned, I wonder if he may be released (we could do with him).

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 09:23
I've got a good feeling about Saturday, given it's in broad daylight the players might be able to see the ball really well and catch it and stuff..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/02/2018 09:25 by woodpecker.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 09:32
I have a good feeling for the Bath game, mainly due to the words Obano, Ewels, Faletau and Mercer...its nice to have our International guys back (although I'm sure they would rather not be).

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 09:37
Quote:
BathMatt53
I have a good feeling for the Bath game, mainly due to the words Obano, Ewels, Faletau and Mercer...its nice to have our International guys back (although I'm sure they would rather not be).

Very true, add that to the seeing and catching and we can't lose, I'm putting on a tenner..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/02/2018 09:49 by woodpecker.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 10:12
I wonder about Eddie's self-proclaimed brutal training methods - but maybe that's just a bit of bs from him. In reality England are as close to full-strength - 13/15 starters and 6/8 bench - as it's physically possible to be in the modern game. You have to hand it to him.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 10:13
Team much as expected, personally not too sure about Lawes, loses he ball too easily for a big guy.

No Haskell.

England: Brown; Watson, Joseph, Farrell, May; Ford, Care; Vunipola, Hartley, Cole, Launchbury, Itoje, Lawes, Robshaw, Hughes.

Replacements: George, Marler, Williams, Kruis, Underhill, Wigglesworth, Te'o, Nowell

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 10:15
If Kruis were at the top of his game there's a good case for Lawes as impact sub covering 2nd and back row.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 10:15
Quote:
Optimist
I wonder about Eddie's self-proclaimed brutal training methods - but maybe that's just a bit of bs from him. In reality England are as close to full-strength - 13/15 starters and 6/8 bench - as it's physically possible to be in the modern game. You have to hand it to him.

Do you think he has rolled back a bit on training due to injuries/availability?

Bathovalballer

22 February, 2018 10:35
Respect to you woodpecker, £10 whole spondulies on Bath winning!!! On recent showings I am hoping but not very hopeful. Hope you win your money......

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 10:44
I think he probably has since the debacles of training when a couple of players got injured. But I think it might be part of his schtick to go on about how hard he drives them. Given the volume of science that is available around conditioning, he'll be listening to what it says (whatever that is).

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 10:53
We struggle against the teams who go to ground and pick and drive. Our lack of ball winners is a weakness. Scotland play a wider game and I think we will cope quite well with them. After a week off, I am expecting our best performance this year.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 10:59
It's a bigger version of Exeter vs Wasps. Ball retention vs counter-attack. Wasps prevailed last Sunday - but, in relative terms, they are more physical than Scotland will be capable of bringing to the England game.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 11:40
Scotland have looked weak in the front row - especially when they have injuries. Their back 5 are not the biggest, and need that stability in front of them. I see Nel is back on the bench but he has not really been the same since the serious injury.

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 15:58
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
BathMatt53

Very true, add that to the seeing and catching and we can't lose, I'm putting on a tenner..

Don't bother. The odds are rubbish.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

22 February, 2018 16:03
wow, Skybet has us by 8 points, they are clearly confident that 'good Bath' will show up. In which case Bath by 51+ points at 200-1 seems OK?

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 10:26
You can say what you want when you've won 23/24, but boy does Eddie take that liberty!

England have improved 40% since he took over apparently

If he won his first game 15-9 away to a decent Scotland line-up (Hogg; Maitland, Bennett, Scott, Seymour; Russell, Laidlaw; Dickinson, Ford, Nel, R Gray, J Gray, Barclay, Hardie, Denton), and he won his most recent game against an injury-ravaged Wales team, at home, by 12-6 why does Robert Kitson not at least stress-test Eddie's assertion a bit?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 11:11
One result in isolation is not the basis of a statistical stress test.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 11:15
Do you mean 'one result in isolation' doesn't prove or disprove his assertion that England have improved 40% in that period? I'd agree with that.

But i'd still say that claiming 40% improvement is pretty massive, when most people in elite sport are happy to assert that they are looking for 'marginal gains'. If England had actually by 40%, then they should actually be racking up cricket scores against pretty much all NH opposition.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 11:25
I mean, stats are bs. And he could have probably pushed on what he meant by that, but...

Lancaster
W26 D1 L17 => 59% winning ratio
Jones
W24 L1 => 96% winning ratio

That's a 62% improvement in itself.

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 11:27
Lancaster's record was 28/46 (61%). EJ's is 96%. So you could claim England have improved by 96/61 = 1.57 hence 57% better!

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 00:31
Yes - but then youíd have to assess what Eddie inherited from SL vs what SL inherited from Johno. Lancaster has gone on to show that he has qualities as a coach - not at Eddieís level, but credible and substantial. Johno is only now re-emerging as a not very good pundit with no more or less coaching credentials than when he completely derailed England.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 08:38
I prefer to remember Johnno as a RWC playing hero, you can't take that away from him.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 10:04
Jonnos win ratio was something like 70% in his last year.

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 16:59
Scotland get a somewhat fortuitous bounce of the ball to score 10 - 3

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

Ian E
Ian E (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 17:02
Commentary abismal - Scotland applying diving Nigel Owens having of it

Ian E
Ian E (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 17:09
Scotland lose ball but get scrum - decisions going their way unfortunately

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 17:13

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 17:22
Brown back to his awful self. Can't pass for toffee, doesn't know when to pass, and gives away dumb penalties.

Looking like Scotland's day as England not at the races atm.

Nigel seems happy for them to hang around offside blocking England passes too often isn't helping.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 17:25
England's back row way too slow.

Scotland 8 should be off for attempted eye gouge on Hughes.

3rd try for the Scots immediately after. Good bye England - going to be 22-6.

Ian E
Ian E (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 17:26
So fingers in the vicinity of the eyes shown on big screen nothing done!!

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 17:28
Negligent by the TMO.

MESSAGES->author

24 February, 2018 17:29
Quote:
Ian E
So fingers in the vicinity of the eyes shown on big screen nothing done!!
Why on earth didn't Hughes actually say something to Owens when asked?

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 17:32
I had no idea tackling was optional in international rugby. That was as poor a 40 as I've seen from England in years. Ford off, Faz to 10, Te'o to 12 and I'd hook JJ as well if there was someone to replace him. Time to earn your corn, Eddie.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

MESSAGES->author

24 February, 2018 17:33
I'm really hoping that this sees EJ finally bite the bullet on Brown.

More widely, there is a serious lack of intensity from England and as has been pointed out up thread our back row is ponderous. Underhill may well be brought on with the instruction to rattle the half backs.

MESSAGES->author

24 February, 2018 17:35
Quote:
joethefanatic
I had no idea tackling was optional in international rugby. That was as poor a 40 as I've seen from England in years. Ford off, Faz to 10, Te'o to 12 and I'd hook JJ as well if there was someone to replace him. Time to earn your corn, Eddie.
Er you'd keep Faz on despite his impression today of a saloon door in defence?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 17:37
Problem is Hugh Jones is showing Farrell up!

Agree needs a shake up!

MESSAGES->author

24 February, 2018 17:39
Quote:
Toast and Marmite
Quote:
joethefanatic
Er you'd keep Faz on despite his impression today of a saloon door in defence?

Yep cos his problem is that he's having to cover ford on his inside

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 17:39
Lucky bounce for first try, forward pass for second try, eye gouge not referred. Scotland have deserved a lead but not that many points.

England look frustrated and not focussed, they will need to concentrate to get back into this and not be pulled into the childish stuff the Scots like to do.

Also start having a word in Nigel's ear to clean up the rucks would be good, no quick ball is the Scots main aim.

MESSAGES->author

24 February, 2018 17:42
Bet our restart is too long...

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 17:45
Wow Iíve never seen England rucked off this much ball.

MESSAGES->author

24 February, 2018 17:46
Needed that start...much more intense

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 17:47
Ball was still in the ruck so Nigel allows Scotland to come in from the side and pick the ball up.

Faz gets a try.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 17:48
Back in it. Why are we being told to keep out of rucks but the Scots are allowed to reach in and handle after the ruck is formed?

MESSAGES->author

24 February, 2018 17:49
Ugh....Brown....sad smiley

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 17:51
Nigel. Come on.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 17:51
Care robbed of an interception try so Scotland very dubious penalty. Hogg misses, small bit of justice, but should be 22-20.

Ian E
Ian E (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 17:54
I must be watching a clone of Nigel Owens he usually isnít this bad.Nothing wrong with Launchbury

MESSAGES->author

24 February, 2018 17:55
Underhill coming on....

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 17:56
I think they just said Garces is TJ. Explains a lot after the Wales match.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 17:57
England not being allowed to compete at the breakdown, on feet, on ball, told to release it.

MESSAGES->author

24 February, 2018 17:59
Feck me we can't get a break

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 18:00
So unlucky.

MESSAGES->author

24 February, 2018 18:02
Wtf Maitland stone cold in touch....

MESSAGES->author

Brown yanked...

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

Brown off, Watson to 15, Nowell on wing

MESSAGES->author

24 February, 2018 18:04
Good work from Underhill to secure a turnover

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 18:04
3 Scots clearly in front of the kicker ignored yet Farrell previously penalsed for same...

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 18:05
Scotland are a decent team, they don't need any help from dodgy decisions.

Plenty of time to put this right. Fitness will tell, long phases of play.

MESSAGES->author

24 February, 2018 18:06
Ergh our support running is really poor

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 18:07
We can bleat all we want about decisions but we are playing terribly.

MESSAGES->author

24 February, 2018 18:09
Quote:
BathMatt53
We can bleat all we want about decisions but we are playing terribly.
They're not mutually exclusive positions

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 18:10
So you think that we are playing well?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 18:12
Underhill being described as a breakdown specialist, not too sure about that but he looks sharp all the same.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

Scots knock on picking up at scrum missed by officials, this is getting silly now.

Followed by a dumb penalty.

MESSAGES->author

Quote:
BathMatt53
So you think that we are playing well?
Did you actually read what I wrote?

supermarinematt
supermarinematt (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 18:17
And with that yellow card, it'll be game over. England been awful today

MESSAGES->author

This is going to be a humiliating defeat

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Calm down treacle, itís not me losing the game, itís the players.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 18:18
Underhill carded, harsh as he was targetting the ball. He was cleared out round the neck.

MESSAGES->author

24 February, 2018 18:18
just really dumb rugby. Scotland will be worthy winners but England really havent made them work for it.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 18:19
Scots in from side then playing ball, so guess what........ pen Scotland.

MESSAGES->author

24 February, 2018 18:21
Support the ball carrier. It's probably the single most important part of the game and one we have miserably failed to do for most of the game

MESSAGES->author

24 February, 2018 18:21
Nige appears to be reffing from a different Law book today.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

MESSAGES->author

24 February, 2018 18:23
Quote:
Toast and Marmite
Support the ball carrier. It's probably the single most important part of the game and one we have miserably failed to do for most of the game

This. The one out runners have been picked off all day.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 18:24
Clear early tackle ignored.
Not Nigel's finest day

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 18:25
Quote:
joethefanatic
Nige appears to be reffing from a different Law book today.
we obvious got on the wrong side of him early in the first half, and he's only interested in penalising one side since.
This has been a bad day at the office for Nige today; not that England have played well, but I do think Cares intercept would have stood, and some of our penalties (and card) come more from frustration than anything else - which is bad play, because if you feel the ref is against you, you have to respond by being squeaky clean, not by descending to the level he thinks you're at

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/02/2018 18:28 by Which Tyler.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 18:26
Virtually every decision has gone Scotland's way, and that compounded with England being pretty poor (in part through frustration?), coupled with the lack of pace in the back row has given Scotland this on a plate.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 18:26
8 minutes of reset scrums coming up.

MESSAGES->author

24 February, 2018 18:27
So. How many changes will EJ make. Who is in last chance saloon and who has now dipped their last....

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 18:28
Seatbelt tackles not reffed in the 6 nations, particularly in this weekend's 3 games....

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 18:29
Quote:
Dorset Boy
Seatbelt tackles not reffed in the 6 nations, particularly in this weekend's 3 games....
throat tackles too if the tackled player is wearing white (May, 76 Min)

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 24/02/2018 18:30 by Which Tyler.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 18:30
Number of high shots from the Scots. All missed.

MESSAGES->author

24 February, 2018 18:31
Oh Nigel....Scotland off their feet all da there....

supermarinematt
supermarinematt (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 18:32
BS decision that. Never a pen to Scotland

MESSAGES->author

24 February, 2018 18:33
Ah well....Scotland can enjoy their once a decade win...

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 18:33
Fingers to J George's eyes again, bang on 80 mins

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net