rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

ST Q&A
23 February, 2018 11:40
[www.bathrugby.com]

In case anyone missed this note (like I did) there is a pre-match Q&A with Annies favourite Tarquin, Hoops and 'a first team player' on Saturday at the Rec.

Bath Supporter Jack

Re: ST Q&A
23 February, 2018 23:31
Can someone ask if any analysis has been done on our injury list?

Is it bad luck?

Is it because of our training?

Is it because of the age/type of player?

Other?

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 08:26
Maybe someone can ask Tarquin about management interference and low squad morale.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 08:38
Quote:
OutsideBath
Maybe someone can ask Tarquin about management interference and low squad morale.

Good point, although something tells me you won't get the right answer ! or any answer.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 08:44
Maybe ask a more fact based question, do we have a head coach lined up?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 08:54
Quote:
OutsideBath

Sounds like a question you should ask him yourself OB.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 09:52
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
OutsideBath

To be honest I can't be bothered with management sessions, never get full disclosure.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 21:21
Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
OutsideBath

To be honest I can't be bothered with management sessions, never get full disclosure.

Intuitive foresight indeed.

Very few questions, but treated to endless management speak from Tarqs that actually said little. Though he clearly stated that the club decision on Banners was rugby related, which I found surprising.

In fairness a short time was put over to Hoops and Flo giving some good insight

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 10:26
So nothing of importance came from it and any time line for Flo's return? Any mentions on other injured players and expected returns?

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 10:43
What is the point of these sessions?

The only ones worth going to are when the Coaching staff (and I don't count Hoops who is excellent at management speak and not saying anything) give us alow down on the coming season and who to watch out for in the opposition. Don't think that's been done for sometime now.

Its rather the same as going to a shareholder annual meeting - you will hear what they want you to hear. I'd like to get a straight answer to why Atwood has been 'loaned' to Toulon when he hasn't been fit enough to play for us. I'd like an answer as to why a year ago, Banahan was their poster boy and yet was not deemed sufficiently useful as a player (whereupon he scores tries in his usualfashion) to be offered a non-humiliating contract offer? Also questions on the level of fitness and return from minor injury (just know it'll be that Bath is no different toeveryone else = not good enough). But I wont'- so why bother. Do go along BathMatt- I'm sure your loud applause will be appreciated. Tarquin obviously knows what he is doing,and I won't spell that out.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 11:01
"I'd like to get a straight answer to why Atwood has been 'loaned' to Toulon"

Then read the statements issued by Bath Rugby and Dave Attwood. If you don't believe them, tell Dave he is a liar. Or perhaps you feel that whatever Dave's personal issues were that underlie his decision, these too should be described in detail and made available to the public?

"I'd like an answer as to why a year ago, Banahan was their poster boy and yet was not deemed sufficiently useful as a player (whereupon he scores tries in his usualfashion"

You do know about the progress of time, right? As well as scoring 'tries in his usual fashion', he is also currently injured. We also failed to offer Jerry Guscott a contract this year.

"Questions on the level of fitness and return from minor injury"

If you have access to the internet, then you could always read the Bath Chronicle which has an injury update each week. It's not always 100% accurate, but then again injuries are not mathematical equations.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 11:31
As I was obviously being considered like many at Old Prostates for selection this season, signing 'young' Guscott might have been inspired! That and a similarly young Lord Dawe to stiffen the sinews might have done the trick!

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 15:25
Did anyone ask about recruitment of a Head Coach? That should have been a fairly non contentious question as the loss of TM is not a subjective matter and not rugby related.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 21:56
Quote:
Bathovalballer
So nothing of importance came from it and any time line for Flo's return? Any mentions on other injured players and expected returns?

Flo inferred that he is 3 weeks away.

annie blackthorn

26 February, 2018 22:16
Opti

The question was about the Q&A sessions, not that we should avidly read the Bath Chronicle (which has a vested interest in keeping it all upbeat).

I don't know why I don't entirely believe the account of Atwood being at Toulon, but I thought stupidly that he was contracted to play for Bath unless injured? Silly me! I am only applying the same rules to him as to any other professional player on megabucks.
Funny btw that Gloucester seem to think Banahan is worth a punt isn't it?

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 05:11
Out of interest did you go to the Q and A session on Saturday Annie ?

annie blackthorn

27 February, 2018 09:38
Of course not. Gave up going to them a couple of years ago. There were never straight answers to a pertinent question, whoever asked it.Apart from Dave Atwood, when asked how he coped with being 'sent home' from England camp and he said "Thatchers"! (Sm132)
I doubt I am missed as there would be plenty of others soaking up every word. p.s. you did ask!

Bath Supporter Jack

27 February, 2018 13:12
Football has obviously been professional for a very long time, c. 150 years, rugby has been openly professional since 1996 so 22 years.

It strikes me that we could do well to observe what has happened and is happening in football to make some parallels with rugby.

Clearly rugby is a more attritional game and therefore strict comparisons are not quite appropriate.

Do people on 'ere remember Bill Shankley or Brian Clough selling one of their top performers in the Summer and all of the Press and supporters saying that they were completely mad, non supportive, selling the fan's favourite etc........

Then by October of the next season the same Press are saying what an inspired move as his (insert any number of household name soccer players) legs had gone and he had lost a yard of pace. It is the coaches job to spot this before it becomes obvious and to remedy it.

I think Banahan is fantastic. I am delighted that somebody has given him a really good three year contract on a lot of money taking him to 35. His body has taken a lot of punishment over the years......he has slowed up, but has also adapted his style of play and has matured. However he does seem to play one, sit one out, play one. As perhaps other people on this Board know (!) there is a trend of exponential decay/decline and especially when you need to be absolutely on peak physical performance to compete in the Aviva. If Banners had a more "wiry" stature he might last longer but his shape is what it is.

I would be very surprised if he physically lasted for three years.

In hindsight the Club will be seen to have done him a favour.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 13:21
You could also say that about Kahn, Saints fans were disappointed to see him go, and he had a great last season but has he been at his best this season. Perhaps that's how Banners stay at Glos will go?

gloucesterwatcher
gloucesterwatcher (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 13:22
For someone not in peak physical condition, James Wilson born 6th July 1983, did pretty damned good on Saturday?

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 13:28
Quote:
shipwrecked
You could also say that about Kahn, Saints fans were disappointed to see him go, and he had a great last season but has he been at his best this season. Perhaps that's how Banners stay at Glos will go?

I'm firmly with BFJ on this one. Banners and Kahn are chalk and cheese physically. Of course there are instances where it goes the other way - Mike Catt spent about 2 years on the physio bench before playing for LI without missing a single minute until he was 57. Likewise Stringer. But the Club have to look at the balance of probabilities.

annie blackthorn

27 February, 2018 15:15
So do you really mean to imply that this club just regard their worth as how physically they perform and are likely to? How come Hooper (and several others over the past 5-10 years) who was off more than he was on got his contract renewed - how naÔve can you get!! I am shaking my head in disbelief - they are not racehorses, nor Barbie dolls. If you cannot see that Banahan has been and imhvo still is worth more than his performances on the pitch, then I am right to despair of the way some professional commercial clubs are going. Very sadly, have better happier ways to spend my weekends - and can watch dispassionately on BT sport.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 15:25
The question isn't 'is Banners good this year'. It's 'will he be worth the increased salary cap hit in 3 years'. It's obviously a very tight call. The club clearly see it one way. We might disagree, but we don't have the info on the cap profile they do. If it's a case of 'don't sign Banners allows us to keep JJ and AW as his salary can be disbursed between them' then people might be a bit more conflicted.

Incidentally, Stuart Hooper played 193 games for Bath.

Bath Supporter Jack

27 February, 2018 15:26
What tends to happen.....in amateur sport, is they slip off to the 2nd XV or even 3rd XV and then when there is an injury crisis they step forward and no one expects too much because he's not paid anything, so owes nobody anything, and is helping out in a crisis which accrues much credit.

Paying a full strength Wasps, Saracens, Leicester or Exeter away requires more than sentimentality..........and yes Annie it is entirely to do with how well they perform or indeed are likely to do.

Funnily enough the same performance requirements are required from me in my job and if I don't deliver people vote with their "feet".

Bit early for you to start talking about not renewing Annie?

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 15:57
"how naÔve can you get"

....how ironic can a post get.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 21:50
I was at the q&a and Tarqs stated clearly that on reflection the Banahan contract discussions could have been handled far better. He did not elaborate further, but it makes you think.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 22:38
Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
What tends to happen.....in amateur sport, is they slip off to the 2nd XV or even 3rd XV and then when there is an injury crisis they step forward and no one expects too much because he's not paid anything, so owes nobody anything, and is helping out in a crisis which accrues much credit.
Paying a full strength Wasps, Saracens, Leicester or Exeter away requires more than sentimentality..........and yes Annie it is entirely to do with how well they perform or indeed are likely to do.

Funnily enough the same performance requirements are required from me in my job and if I don't deliver people vote with their "feet".

Bit early for you to start talking about not renewing Annie?

Why dont you say to your bosses you are worth more than your performances command. I'm sure that would convince them.

annie blackthorn

28 February, 2018 10:12
Trust you to come up with the statistic for Hoops, Hasta! LOL!

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 10:59
Quote:
annie blackthorn
Trust you to come up with the statistic for Hoops, Hasta! LOL!
Welcome to the internet Annie.
You brought up Hooper; and told a lie about him. It took Hasta approximately 5-10 seconds to prove your lie.
Appearance stats are very, very easy to find.

FTR (after about 30 seconds of internet use): Hooper was with us for 8 years; played 193 times; average just over 24 matches per season.
He wasn't brought in to play LV= rugby (though he did, 10 times for us); so out of 230-odd Prem/Euro matches, he played 183.
Hardly "Was off more than he was on" - and frankly, claiming that is pretty disrespectful, and should absolutely expect to be called on it.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 28/02/2018 11:08 by Which Tyler.

Bath Supporter Jack

28 February, 2018 11:24
Unfortunately "Woodie" the buck stops with me!!eye popping smiley

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 17:06
Quote:
Kidney Stone
I was at the q&a and Tarqs stated clearly that on reflection the Banahan contract discussions could have been handled far better. He did not elaborate further, but it makes you think.

Interesting quote from Tarquin at the 'Bath Life' Business Club lunch " The clubs overall are losing about £30m a year and so it's important for them to be stable , but also " A SIGNIFICANT
INCREASE IN MONEY GOING TO THE PLAYERS COULD HAVE A NEGATIVE IMPACT ON BEHAVIOURS" and the things that make the game special - and the reason people feel connected to the game".

Could this have some bearing on the supposed unrest behind the scenes ? (Sm128)

annie blackthorn

28 February, 2018 17:14
I should have qualified my remark re. Hooper who, in his last season was injured a great deal - back for a match and then off again. This is in reference to his contract renewal. Nothing else.

No doubt someone else will leap to his defence completely missing the point of this thread title.

MESSAGES->author
Robbinho (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 17:35
Donít think the thread title has anything to do with it - your comments or the responses to them.

Youíve tried to reframe your point because you were called out for being wrong. The point you now say youíre making - that Hoops was injured a lot in his final season, is why he retired before the end of it. This has no connection to the point you original made about Banahan which was that some players get contract extensions despite not playing as often as others, in fact it directly contradicts it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/02/2018 17:48 by Robbinho.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 19:40
We seem very poor at offering contracts that enable senior players to move across into a coaching role towards the end of their career.
With Banners are playing into coaching offer might have kept him...

Bath Supporter Jack

28 February, 2018 20:20
It really would not surprise me to see Banners back in some capacity at the Rec well before his three year contract has expired

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 20:20
Matt has been magnificent for the club but I sincerely hope that we are appointing coaches because the DoR wants them to develop a specific aspect of Rugby Union rather than the fact that he is a good bloke!

Whilst we are on the subject I hope our French coach isn't coming simply because he is Bruce's mate!

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

01 March, 2018 08:26
Quote:
shipwrecked
Whilst we are on the subject I hope our French coach isn't coming simply because he is Bruce's mate!

Answered almost immediately in PGT's post where it states Bruce doesn't over rule DoR on coaches.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net