rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

Team's Up!
23 February, 2018 11:57
JFC it's patchwork.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWt9qPCWkAAZUVS.jpg

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

Re: Team's Up!
23 February, 2018 11:58
Or another view:

Bath Rugby team to face Sale Sharks

15. Darren Atkins

14. Aled Brew

13. Will Hurrell

12. Ben Tapuai

11. Cooper Vuna

10. James Wilson

9. Kahn Fotuali’i

1. Beno Obano

2. Ross Batty

3. Henry Thomas

4. Matt Garvey (c)

5. Elliott Stooke

6. Zach Mercer

7. Josh Bayliss

8. Taulupe Faletau

Replacements

16. Michael van Vuuren

17. Lucas Noguera

18. Max Lahiff

19. Luke Charteris

20. James Phillips

21. Chris Cook

22. Jack Wilson

23. Tom Homer

Good to see Homer back in the mix.

PG

P G Tips

Paul Grant: my adopted Player, 2017-18.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 12:02
Great to have Faletau back, and the pack looks strong.

But I've just no idea how Wilson will go at 10. It's just such a shame that Burns (and Lewis) is crocked as with a full-time, first choice 10, that XV wouldn't look too bad.

One of these weeks our luck on the injury front will change. I just hope we're still in the top 6 when it does!

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 12:05
21 players missing against a near full strength Sale team.

I suppose we're used to this by now.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 12:10
Garvey preferred in second row to Charteris, leaving no back row on the bench?

FLOP

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 12:13
Phillips does back row.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 12:16
Pretty darned unlucky with injuries. Hope Sale have 179 first teamers out as well.

Interesting call to have Phillips and Charteris on the bench and play Garvey at lock.

Has James Wilson ever played 10 at this level before and who will kick.

Bath 'backs against the wall' to sneak it with a BP.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 12:20
We are going to lose at home to Sale. It's going to be a very damaging result for our top 6 aspirations. It will be entirely as a result of our injury list (not to suggest that it's impossible that Sale might have beaten a less injury-plagued 23, but it's a game that we would normally expect to win). There is going to be a lot of gnashing and wailing on 'ere'.

Unless the injuries are somehow related to the state of morale and attitude in the squad - which isn't impossible - then there is really no-one other than the fates to blame.

James Wilson has shown some outstanding footballing talent in the last few weeks. He's very experienced. Maybe his experience and native/Kiwi nous will enable him to pull this off.

Maybe the siege mentality, and a big crowd effort will keep it competitive. Can't see it.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 12:22
23 professional players who are good enough to win the game, yes we have lots out but they shouldn't care a jot. Pack looks stronger than it has recently. Hope that Kahn and Wilson played together a bit at 9 and 10 at saints (would make be more comfortable if they did).

COYB!

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 12:23
Even considering its a 6N weekend you wouldn't have dreamt up that back line at the beginning of the season.

All decent players individually but what kind of team can they become in a week?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 12:23
Quote:
Optimist
We are going to lose at home to Sale. It's going to be a very damaging result for our top 6 aspirations. It will be entirely as a result of our injury list (not to suggest that it's impossible that Sale might have beaten a less injury-plagued 23, but it's a game that we would normally expect to win). There is going to be a lot of gnashing and wailing on 'ere'.
Unless the injuries are somehow related to the state of morale and attitude in the squad - which isn't impossible - then there is really no-one other than the fates to blame.

James Wilson has shown some outstanding footballing talent in the last few weeks. He's very experienced. Maybe his experience and native/Kiwi nous will enable him to pull this off.

Maybe the siege mentality, and a big crowd effort will keep it competitive. Can't see it.

You definitely need to change your name.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 12:24
Tapping around the internet, Wilson did play a bit for Saints at 10 when Myler was unavailable in 2014, 2015, in some fairly high profile games, one versus Leicester with F Burns as the opposing 10!

So he's no stranger to the position and has plenty of experience.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 12:25
Do we know what fate has befallen Lewis? It’s quite ridiculous because all the talk was about him playing & I was quite optimistic based on previous appearances. This throws everything up in the air.

sid the seagull

23 February, 2018 12:27
Jay yes of course, silly me. Ideal to bring Phillips’s pace on later when the game starts to break up YAY.

FLAP

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 12:28
Quote:
sid the seagull
Jay yes of course, silly me. Ideal to bring Phillips’s pace on later when the game starts to break up YAY.
FLAP

Did you say Phillips' "pace"?

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 12:29
Quote:
dr.bath1865
Tapping around the internet, Wilson did play a bit for Saints at 10 when Myler was unavailable in 2014, 2015, in some fairly high profile games, one versus Leicester with F Burns as the opposing 10!
So he's no stranger to the position and has plenty of experience.

Regular starter for Highlanders at 10 also and can kick the goals (Sm128) have faith, Bath by 6 !

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 12:30
Quote:
BathMatt53
You definitely need to change your name.

Yes. To 'Realist'

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 12:31
Would much rather the muscular Phillips started with Garvey coming off the bench, partly because our front 5 are going to have to match the physicality of the Sale pack to let the lighter Mercer and Bayliss run around. Also, this being his first game for an age, Faletau is unlikely to last 80 mins and we are going to need back row cover. Just hope Stooke doesn't break down and can take the strain up front. They will attack our lineout throwing as our jumpers will probably include second choices Garvey and Mercer.

Wilson J is a top class footballer but whether he has the ability to play in a position he hasn't played for many a year is going to be interesting. Hope Atkins has a stormer but feel he will be targeted by their kickers.

If Sale are at anything like full strength after their good display against Sarries last week, I just cannot see us winning or even getting a losing bonus point either.

Regret to say, Sale by at least 10-15. Sincerely hope I am very wrong!!!!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 12:33
The prediction league shows that we are generally a positive bunch. Predictions in line with the betting sites for a home win.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 12:34
It does feel like the perennial pessimists have stumbled across the right match by chance.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 12:34
Can we have a re-match at some point with our 'not available for selection' team vs theirs?

15.Mike Haley; 14.Denny Solomona, 13.Will Addison (capt), 12. Luke James, 11. Marland Yarde; 10.Sam James, 9.Faf De Klerk; 1.Ross Harrison, 2.Rob Webber, 3.WillGriff John, 4.Josh Beaumont, 5.Andrei Ostrikov, 6.Jono Ross, 7.Ben Curry, 8.Josh Strauss.

Replacements:
16.Marc Jones, 17.James Flynn, 18.Alexandru Tarus, 19.George Nott, 20.Cameron Neild, 21.Will Cliff, 22.Josh Charnley 23.Cameron Redpath

Unavailable for selection:
James O'Connor(Injured), Bryn Evans(Injured), AJ MacGinty(Injured), Byron McGuigan(Injured), Tom Curry(Injured), Matt Sturgess(Injured) and Arron Reed(Injured) & Sam Moore(England U20).

sid the seagull

23 February, 2018 12:36
You don’t do irony do you BO.

SQUAWK

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 12:38
Not too many of their forwards I would swap tbh. Big fans of the Curry boys mind you, Bayliss and Mercer must have played with them loads with the U20s so hopefully know a trick or two (and the other way around obviously).

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 12:41
Quote:
sid the seagull
You don’t do irony do you BO.
SQUAWK

To be fair he does have a 'pace', its just not a quick one. What he does have is momentum on his side though!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 12:43
Unless the Sale team bus breaks down we're screwed. Only TF return is anything to feel optimistic about and can't see him lasting 80mins.

Does finishing 7th get us a play off for the CC this season?

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 13:11
Quote:
OutsideBath
Unless the Sale team bus breaks down we're screwed.

Nowt like a bit of hyperbole. We aren't playing the ABs in NZ you know?

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 13:12
Its time for us to win one = c'mon bath

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 13:17
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
OutsideBath
Unless the Sale team bus breaks down we're screwed.

Nowt like a bit of hyperbole. We aren't playing the ABs in NZ you know?

Nope but we're playing a team that stuffed us away, we have a patched up "team" and a poor home record this season. Result seems pretty obvious to me.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 13:20
Quote:
Woodpecker
ts time for us to win one = c'mon bath

Absolutely. With our consistently inconsistent and predictably unpredictable performances this season I fully expect us to cruise this one.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 13:22
Their away form isn't spectacular, they are very strong at home though. Our home record isn't terrible if you look at the results, Wasps was pretty comprehensive (and Scarlets in the cup) otherwise we have done OK with a couple of narrow losses and a few good wins (Sarries, Toulon etc).

Nothing obvious about it IMO. Wouldn't surprise me at all if we won by 30 or lost by 30, that's how we roll this season.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 13:23
Then again OB you predicted that Faletau would be called up by Wales and return to us injured after the Six Nations. Well, it looks like he's starting for us tomorrow, so it turns out that not every one of your thoroughly miserable predictions comes true.

I'll go Bath by 5. A big pack and Beno's back. Taps and Hurrell getting to know each other. Vuna closer to full fitness. Power from the bench. And a fired up and optimistic home crowd.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 13:29
Stop it Dr B. Now you're getting my hopes up!

It is a pretty mobile/dynamic pack - maybe a little light, but at least if we do go backwards in the scrum, Faletau does have an absolute genius for cleaning up that sort of ball.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 13:40
Paddy power is offering 2/5 on bath - I will still take it - adds to the fun

I'm just excited to see what the players look like nowadays

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 13:42
I'm always inclined to bet against my own team - it's kind of a win-win approach.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 13:49
Quote:
Optimist
I'm always inclined to bet against my own team - it's kind of a win-win approach.

I do that on the odd occasion that I have a flutter and get massive criticism from the people I go with. Mind you when Bristol beat us at 8-1 last season they weren't complaining when I put the £160 behind the bar to drown our collective sorrows... I will always support Bath but at least if we lose I can get a free dinner to cheer me up.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 13:51
Quote:
Optimist

I don't gamble in that way, but if I did I'd struggle to bet against my own team.

I'm convinced Sale will win with a TBP, but I certainly won't be putting a bet against Bath.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 13:52
I think even with everything going against us in terms of fitness of particular key players we should still have enough to win this.

It will be interesting to see what tactics we bring but with that pack we should look to try and bully and move them around up front with the agile back row and steely front 5. In the backs I suggest the simpler we keep it the better and with Hurrell there it is a perfect opportunity to just utilise his hard running to get us over the gainline off of first phase and give us a chance to get the back three involved.

Vuna, Brew are experienced whilst I have been pleased with what I have seen of Atkins who seems to be maturing nicely imo. Make things as simple as possible for Wilson given he is not a regular 10 and we will be fine.

Bath to win by 4!

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 13:53
Quote:
Optimist

Yes I do it too but I always feel guilty, particularly if I'm there. I once did it a GLoucester Bath game, thankfully I lost my bet.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 13:55
What does the Bath side tell us about Jennnings?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/02/2018 14:06 by Boldangrey.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 13:58
Reading on line James Wilson should be OK

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 14:01
Quote:
Boldangrey
What does the Bath side tell us about Jenkins?

Absolutely nothing.

It does tell us that Rory Jennings is injured or out of favour though. Is he still at Ealing on a DC? If he is then he isn't playing.

Bathovalballer

23 February, 2018 14:02
Sorry BldnGy, don't understand your comment!

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 14:05
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Sorry BldnGy, don't understand your comment!

Rory Jennings (my mistake) has been in our academy as a 10 for some time.

Surely he should be snapping at the heels at this time?

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 14:06
Watched some old comedy last night. As Edmund Blackadder said 'we are in the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun'.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 14:09
Somebody must have forgotten to tell Wigan they were screwed before they went out against Man City

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 14:17
OMG, judging by the majority of the comments on here, we may as well call the game off and give Sale 5 points and save on the team's laundry bill.
FFS, the posters on here are supposed to be the die hard bath fans who support the team through thick and thin. For sure it is nit the side we would have hoped for but its the Bath side picked for the game tomorrow and I for one will be giving 100% support. I am sure there will be times when the side drop the ball or cock up a move etc, but let not moan and groan at this but get behind them and cheer them to the rafters. After all they are representing our great club and deserve better.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 14:17
Well an early red card does always change the odds gaz. The Lions wouldn't have beaten NZ if Sonny hadn't rammed Ant.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 14:21
Well that sounds like the tactic then Opti...

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 14:23
There's no suggestion on 'ere that anyone isn't supporting the team. A number of posters are, not unfairly, noting that our backline has a certain cobbled together look, that a marginally stronger backline got thumped at Falcons last weekend and that this might have an impact on our ability to beat a strong Sale team.

merc
merc (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 14:34
Nick

Absolutely agree about being positive. Remember those days when we used to go on the pitch and fight those daft people who used to sit next to us. Bring your orange jacket and we can make it a great day out....and be die hard fans!!

merc

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 14:35
Quote:
nick holder
OMG, judging by the majority of the comments on here

Not true, only two posters think that we stand little or no chance. The rest are pragmatic / cautious in their views and a the rest are predicting a win.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 14:39
Quote:
nick holder
OMG, judging by the majority of the comments on here, we may as well call the game off and give Sale 5 points and save on the team's laundry bill.
FFS, the posters on here are supposed to be the die hard bath fans who support the team through thick and thin. For sure it is nit the side we would have hoped for but its the Bath side picked for the game tomorrow and I for one will be giving 100% support. I am sure there will be times when the side drop the ball or cock up a move etc, but let not moan and groan at this but get behind them and cheer them to the rafters. After all they are representing our great club and deserve better.

Actually, because I think we're going to lose i've decided to go to the game and cheer the opposition, and boo Bath for 80 minutes. It's quite clear that my and other posters' pessimistic comments here have also considerably lengthened the odds on a scratch Bath side pulling off a win, and so i've hidden all my Bath merchandise for the time being, adopted a northern accent, and placed a tenner on Bath to win purely so as to compensate me for the disappointment i will feel should they manage it.

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 14:46
Hey Merc, the orange coat has already had 1 outing this season and that was the match v Saints. I'll have it on again tomorrow and will for sure take he same result!

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 15:27
Bath v Sale Sharks
If Wasps do win at Kingsholm, Bath can leapfrog Gloucester into the top four with a win at home to Sale. You would expect them to win this one – the home side has won the last 6 meetings between these two. Bath by 13

The Rugby Blog. No idea, eh?

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 15:30
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
nick holder

Actually, because I think we're going to lose i've decided to go to the game and cheer the opposition, and boo Bath for 80 minutes. It's quite clear that my and other posters' pessimistic comments here have also considerably lengthened the odds on a scratch Bath side pulling off a win, and so i've hidden all my Bath merchandise for the time being, adopted a northern accent, and placed a tenner on Bath to win purely so as to compensate me for the disappointment i will feel should they manage it.

I guess its too late to buy a shark outfit?

sweeney21
Tenorshark (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 15:35
Quote:
jayeatman
Bath v Sale Sharks
If Wasps do win at Kingsholm, Bath can leapfrog Gloucester into the top four with a win at home to Sale. You would expect them to win this one – the home side has won the last 6 meetings between these two. Bath by 13

Sale fan here. No idea how tomorrow will go imo. Both sides have injuries, yes you have more befoire that starts! Can honestly see it going either way.

Oh, if you're going to quote bloggers, maybe fact check them first...(Sm100)

23-Dec-2017 Sale Sharks 32 – 9 Bath Aviva Premiership 17/18
06-May-2017 Sale Sharks 27 – 24 Bath Aviva Premiership 16/17
07-Oct-2016 Bath 30 – 3 Sale Sharks Aviva Premiership 16/17
23-Apr-2016 Bath 32 – 26 Sale Sharks Aviva Premiership 15/16
17-Apr-2016 Sale Sharks 29 – 17 Bath Aviva Premiership 15/16
06-Mar-2015 Bath 12 – 3 Sale Sharks Aviva Premiership 14/15
06-Sep-2014 Sale Sharks 20 – 29 Bath Aviva Premiership 14/15
28-Mar-2014 Bath 11 – 12 Sale Sharks Aviva Premiership 13/14
08-Nov-2013 Sale Sharks 20 – 27 Bath LV Cup 13/14
04-Oct-2013 Sale Sharks 19 – 13 Bath Aviva Premiership 13/14

Mike van Vuuren
Mike van Vuuren (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 15:46
Quote:
jayeatman
Bath v Sale Sharks

Give that man a BELLS

Ian E
Ian E (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 16:07
I’ve every confidence that we’ll win this one. It’ll be tense and close but Bath by 6

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 16:23
As many people have said we are inconsistent, we were ******* useless last week, we would never be that consistently bad

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 16:34
I know we have had lost a few games this season at home bar the Scarlets game you could argue we should have won the others.

It is our home game no one should expect to beat us at the Red and we certainly should not expect to lose. Yes we have injuries but that is the nature of modern rugby TB will have prepared this team and I will be cheering the boys home. We can only deal with things we have control over. Let’s get behind big Matt Garvey and the boys and make some noise, this Sharks team is not at full strength either and to be honest I don’t care about them anyway other than wishing all their team and supporters a safe journey down.

Come on Bath.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 16:51
Quote:
Tenorshark
Sale fan here. No idea how tomorrow will go imo. Both sides have injuries, yes you have more befoire that starts! Can honestly see it going either way.

I'll take your 7 injuries over our 21, thanks.

Tomato Soup
Tomato Soup (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 17:40
21 Injuries and one guy who head isn't right so hes gone to France.

Fact

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 17:41
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
Tenorshark

Not sure why you keep going on about it. I see you going over to the other sites to all let them know every week. It just smacks of 'get your excuses in early' to me.

The players on the pitch should be capable of winning and we can't do anything about the injuries. Is it annoying that we have so many pretty much all of the time? Of course it is.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 17:48
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
Tenorshark

They've changed the rules this year, now its just based on the number of points scored in the match, the injury quotient calculator engine is no longer used to determine who won.

Tomato Soup
Tomato Soup (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 18:05
Should be renamed Bath United Vs Sale Sharks.

Free entry for all and play in on Monday night.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 18:11
Look you miserable @#$%&, if you are so sure that Sale are going to win put a bet on them you can get 9/5 on paddy power

Mike van Vuuren
Mike van Vuuren (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 19:50
Bath by 15

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 23/02/2018 19:53 by Mike van Vuuren.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

23 February, 2018 20:10
Quote:
BathMatt53
Not sure why you keep going on about it. I see you going over to the other sites to all let them know every week. It just smacks of 'get your excuses in early' to me.

Nothing wrong with getting your excuses in early. Just been explaining to Mrs Beergoggles that I feel an ear infection coming on and balance, reasoning, and speech may be impacted later tomorrow ... after the Bath and England games of course.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

24 February, 2018 01:15
I will be right behind the team tomorrow & giving them my absolute support but the more I anticipate the match the less confident I feel. I cannot shrug off Sale’s resounding bonus point win when we last met & with a player thrown in at the last minute at fly-half & Falarau having just returned from injury our under strength team will be really up against it. To add to that we have started badly in most of our recent games having been fortunate not to fall well behind against both Ospreys £ Saints before thankfully coming back to win. Following last week’s debacle there is no evidence we have addressed those issues so I fear the worst but hope for the best tomorrow.

Bathovalballer

24 February, 2018 01:37
That's all we have, a huge amount of hope! No evidence of consistent performance or even regular starting players or form, plus recent results, slow starts, inept lack of basic skills and woeful application of a semblance of a game plan, means we are probably at rock bottom! Any thing restricting the loss to under 10 and finishing the game with 23 intact players would be a bonus.

Here is hoping! Come on you Bath!!!
See you all at the Rec.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net