rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

Re: Bath v Sale
25 February, 2018 08:17
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
Optimist
Today's result just adds to the mystery of our up and down form, and whether there are squad divisions.

Why?

I took Opti's post to be challenging the view that squad divisions are really there. Certainly a result in such circumstances suggests evidence of good mental resilience which is the issue Todd has identified for remedy

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 08:44
Exactly what I meant Gaz. Thank you. Iím not a subscriber to that view, but Dan Evans, who has suggested it, canít be entirely ignored.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 09:01
Quote:
Optimist
Very pleasant surprise that result. Just need Sarries to give Leicestere a good stuffing tomorrow and top 6 will start to look safe'ish. Today's result just adds to the mystery of our up and down form, and whether there are squad divisions.

Me too Opti. I travelled in hope rather than expectation and given the bottom of the barrel that that side represented would have settled for a LBP.

As it is, Iím absolutley delighted. How much difference does a Ďsuper chargedí Mercer make to the confidence of that team, along with Garvie showing real leadership, Stooke at his confrontational best, Beno moving mountains.

Iím looking forward to next week when we might see Homer scorching up from the back in his old style. Plus the difference another seven days onn a pie free diet will make to Vuna.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 09:11
Very enjoyable day out at a sunny Rec. Thought Bath's patched together side were excellent, mainly due to their never say die attitude and because for the first time in many games I can hardly remember a knock on or easy turnover. Given we were playing a good Sale side with fewer injuries that really was a good win and solid performance.

Thought the slightly paunchy ref (touch of the kettle calling the pot black here I know) was pretty poor, particularly with his positioning and the fact that he reffed high tackles like we were still in the 1990s.

Donít understand the Kahn bashing from both the tiresome oil at the back of the terrace and some on this board. He wasnít perfect but to expect him to provide quick service and spin out passes like weíre the All Blacks is a tad unfair given the teamís all round breakdown capabilities.

Good win Bath. However now fearing the inevitable crash to earth at Quinnís on Friday.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 09:24
Our record at Quins in the past few years is not good. However Quins appear to have imploded after a competitive first half against Newcastle and would appear to be there for the taking.

From what I have seen Quins like to play fast and loose and if, a big if grant you, our pack can match there's and slow, stifle possession with James W kicking for position, I believe we have the best chance we have had for sometime to beat them at the Stoop.

No doubt that is the kiss of death to our chances but lets travel in hope!

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 09:33
Remember the first half against Quins at the Rec? Four tries in 20(?) minutes.

The secret is to silence Marcus Smith.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 09:34
Brief highlights are up on BT Sport website

[sport.bt.com]

Nerveless last kick but even more impressive was that we appeared to survive another 3 minutes to close out the win

Hoping this is the foundation on which to build a brighter run in

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 09:48
At the risk of sowing seeds of doubt, does anyone know the injury state after that game?

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 10:03
From what I have been told it is not unrest in the playing circle infant they are a very tight knit bunch and fully behind TB and the coaching team - the problem is the relationship between the playing side and the non playing side - there is a suggestion of interference and distrust from the playing side towards the non playing side - hopefully Dan Evans will soon be "ungagged" and be able to publish what he knows without fear of being dragged through the courts. It tells you a lot that the club is not commenting on this and nor are they denying there are issues - the biggest and most worrying is whether our DoR will be at the Rec next year.

Hopefully for he clubs sake this can be rectified very soon so we can all move on and concentrate on rugby - we need stability both in the squad and the management - we need to keep a stable squad who instinctively know how each other plays - instead of changing our fly half inside centres and scrum halls every season. We need to keep our playmakers at the club.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 10:29
Did anyone notice how good bath were at the re-starts yesterday (ok there were too many of them!).

Wilson put the ball spot on for the chasers every time.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 10:40
Our restarts have been shocking for ages, both taking and receiving. In Ford we had one of the best kickers around, but our chasers (who often are the same who catch) have proper dildo hands.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 10:46
I suspect Wilson was told to keep it simple and it worked - a lesson there.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 10:54
When Faf kicked the restart short after the restart at the end I was surprised the ref didn't blow for full time as clock seemed to indicate time was up?

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 10:58
I didn't understand that either OB.

If he kicks it straight out, it's over. If we catch it and kick it out, it's over. So why is not going ten different?

Thank goodness we handled that scrum. It would have been the cherry on top of our maddeningly inconsistent season if we'd managed to lose that from there, Gloucester-style.

wetside
wetside (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 11:16
There was time for KO. KIck off taken but incomplete. So therefore KO not yet taken. Take it again therefore. That's what the ref decided. But what does the law book say ? Is it even covered ?

BathOtter
BathOtter (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 11:19
Cynical tactic within the laws of the game perhaps? Last roll of the dice, purposefully kick it short, accept the scrum, gamble on winning against the head and a penalty with a shot at goal last action of the game? Unsure if that is within the laws though, or whether an oversight from the ref

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 12:02
Quote:
wetside
There was time for KO. KIck off taken but incomplete. So therefore KO not yet taken. Take it again therefore. That's what the ref decided. But what does the law book say ? Is it even covered ?

I looked it up in the laws which state:

. 5.7 (e)
. If time expires and the ball is not dead, or an awarded scrum or lineout has not been completed, the referee allows play to continue until the next time that the ball becomes dead. The ball becomes dead when the referee would have awarded a scrum, lineout, an option to the non-infringing team, drop out or after a conversion or successful penalty kick at goal. If a scrum has to be reset, the scrum has not been completed. If time expires and a mark, free kick or penalty kick is then awarded, the referee allows play to continue. 

. If the ball does not reach the opponentís 10-metre line the opposing team has two choices: 
ē To have the ball kicked off again, or
ē To have a scrum at the centre of the half-way line and they throw in the ball. 

My interpretation of that is that the ref "would have awarded a scrum" therefore the ball was dead when the kick off fell short.He should have blown full time.

PG

Tom Sutton
Tom Sutton (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 13:58
I'm with you on that one PG.
Kick not 10m, therefore game over as scrum would have been awarded (or kick again - hardly likely to take that option!)

Once the referee had decided a scrum had to take place he was correct in ordering resets as the scrum then had to be completed. Greatest danger then was giving away a penalty especially as the Sale THP dived to the floor on (I think) the second reset. Should have been our penalty but could easily have gone the other way.
Justice was done in the end.

Tom Sutton

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 15:04
Well worth being aware of this and securing the restart regardless of whether the ball goes 10. The risk of conceding a scrum penalty is just too great.

If the ref was correct and you have a dominant scrum itís worth restarting with a 1m kick that you can regather and take a punt with the scrum. All sounds a bit counter intuitive and dodgy.

MESSAGES->author
Lansdown12 (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 17:55
Reading that it looks like the choice of scrum or kick again is the oppositions (ours) so surely we should have got them to kick again, receive and get it off the park asap

maybe the catch/receive is seen as the riskier option hence the choice but either way it wasn't the refs decision

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 18:01
The refereeing was very difficult to understand throughout the game.
He missed many things - the most obvious a held up maul when the player was up in the air for a good 5 seconds......but anyway.....
Had we not won yesterday we would now be in a lowly 9th place in the league so a good outcome.

From the horses mouth yesterday Banahan will be available for selection (unless he injures himself in training!)

Trawling
Trawling (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 18:41
The ref got the call at the end correct. The scrum we called for is treated as part of the restart. It was not the result of an infringement in open play. It's the same as when time is up and a scrum needs to be re-set. It's a bit obscure but he was right.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 18:49
With Leicester beating Sarries today itís all boiling up to The Clash being a crucial game for both clubs seasons but of course we wonít have the benefit of playing at the Rec.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 19:50
Given the rest of our run in, Quins away is a must-win.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 20:03
Continues to be a fantastic league. 3 of six games this w/e could have changed result with a single conversion.

The bottom team beat the team who beat the top team 2 weeks ago.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 20:04
Competitive, yes. Fantastic I'm not quite so sure this season.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 00:13
Quote:
hasta
Given the rest of our run in, Quins away is a must-win.

Yes - that is a tough run-in. Thereís only match that should be a shoe in (Iím not saying it will be). After that Quins is rhe easiest on paper but wonít be so say at the Stoop.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 08:53
Much improved stats this week

[www.bathchronicle.co.uk]

Second week running where we have dominated possession and territory

Tackle success ratio still needs work at only 80%

But given the high number of absentees and late disruption to game preparation with Wilson slotting into the 10 shirt some big time credit is owed to players and coaches for a very, very good result

I know it is a massive if but if we can build from here then we could still be knocking on 4th spot come the last round of matches

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 09:01
Sale like most teams this season found it easy to cut through us in midfield. Surprised this hasn't been addressed by the coaches.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/02/2018 09:01 by OutsideBath.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 09:09
Its a valid point OB, only thing is that to coach an effective defence it needs an element of continuity of selection so players get used to what the guy inside or outside you is going to do.
Fact of the matter is we simply have not had that sort of continuity for obvious reasons!

MESSAGES->author
hemington (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 11:44
Let alone any (attack) players to practise against. Bit difficult defending against thin air

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 11:55
Anyone else think Kahn was deliberately slow playing it to draw Sale offside?
Was just a thought I had.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 12:21
Quote:
Toast and Marmite
Ref takes a nasty knock but unfortunately not enough to see him go off
Stay classy.
Heat of the moment, I know - but still... really really classless

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/02/2018 12:46 by Which Tyler.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 12:45
Quote:
johnnyf
Had we not won yesterday we would now be in a lowly 9th place in the league so a good outcome.
Not really.
Had we not won, but secured the LBP; we'd have been on 42 points, level with Leicester and Sale; putting us in 6th place on points-difference.
Had we lost without a LBP, we'd have been on 41 behind Leicester and Sale, putting us in 8th position - 9 points ahead of Quins in 9th

RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 12:57
Lino on the east side explained it as the reset hadn't been completed as ball technically hadn't gone dead, so our options were to pick it up and play it (risky as we were swarmed), get them to kick again (an option) or go for the scrum. Any attempt by them to play it would have been a penalty for offside. I guess we chose scrum as the safest option?

All in, smart play from Sale and their only real option other than aim to catch the restart which we seemed to be on top of most of the game.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 14:17
Extended highlights now up on BT Sport here:

[sport.bt.com]

OK it is just highlights but I can't see anything that supports the criticism of Kahn. He got to pretty much every breakdown shown very quickly and delivery away was sharp

The discipline and composure from all 15 players for the last try was very impressive and that was by no means an easy kick to win

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 14:58
Quote:
RAWCE
Lino on the east side explained it as the reset hadn't been completed as ball technically hadn't gone dead, so our options were to pick it up and play it (risky as we were swarmed), get them to kick again (an option) or go for the scrum. Any attempt by them to play it would have been a penalty for offside. I guess we chose scrum as the safest option?

Interesting .... So in theory could we have taken as much as time as we needed to line up the perfect defensive position before the designated forward grabbed the ball and his mates joined in to complete the ruck ? Would have made for a bizarre 10 seconds or so and would have completely bemused the crowd.

Quote:
RAWCE
All in, smart play from Sale and their only real option other than aim to catch the restart which we seemed to be on top of most of the game.

Quite a generous assessment RAWCE. Could be Sale just made a complete horlicks of it.

I would have thought the best strategy would have been to kick it just long enough to be contestable with enough hang time for the Sale forwards to get there (i.e. the perfect restart). That scenario would have been far more nerve wracking from the terraces and I would fully expect us to drop the restart, concede possession back to Sale, and spend the next 5 minutes defending on our try line as we did at the end of the LI away game.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 15:30
Maybe Iím crediting Dimes with a bit too much OíShea-like street smarts! I think we risked diving over the top to seal off or at worst a Hartley/Haskell divide by zero brain malfunction, so asking for a scrum may have been the safest bet.

incastrowetrust
Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 15:37
Quote:
Which Tyler
Quote:
johnnyf
Not really.
Had we not won, but secured the LBP; we'd have been on 42 points, level with Leicester and Sale; putting us in 6th place on points-difference.
Had we lost without a LBP, we'd have been on 41 behind Leicester and Sale, putting us in 8th position - 9 points ahead of Quins in 9th

Wouldn't you be 7th in that case? thought it went Wins then PD?

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 16:17
Quote:
Ayerza wannabe
Wouldn't you be 7th in that case? thought it went Wins then PD?
Good point, well made - yes, wins first, PD second

RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
callmeMrTibbs (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 16:20
Watching it back, Beno was still clearly incensed at the end towards the Sale players. I didn't see anything physical that fired his anger. Was it verbal?

stuart turner
Loiner (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 21:56
Announcer inaudible as always and the guy on the pitch with a microphone wasnít inaudible but was certainly unintelligible. Why bother with either if no one gets any value?

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 09:39
Quote:
Which Tyler
Quote:
Toast and Marmite
Ref takes a nasty knock but unfortunately not enough to see him go off
Stay classy.
Heat of the moment, I know - but still... really really classless
Tongue in cheek WT...I wouldn't wish injury on anyone but appreciate that might gh not come across on the internet!

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 09:42
Quote:
Loiner
Announcer inaudible as always and the guy on the pitch with a microphone wasnít inaudible but was certainly unintelligible. Why bother with either if no one gets any value?
I really really wish the announcer was inaudible....

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 09:51
Watching the highlights, we kept the ball for our last try for about 4 minutes. Highly impressive composure, the sort we havenít seen in a long time, working left and right and showing patience, Cook shaping it, Philips and Faletau and Hurrell carrying hard, waiting for the gap that eventually came.

As weíve said on ere for weeks, when we hold onto the ball, weíre acrually quite decent in attack. More of the same v Quins needed. Patience = points.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 09:58
That's a very good point dr bath and one I noted too. We have (rightfully) been criticised for our ball retention skills and our inability to go through phases. One swallow doesn't make a summer, but a very good step forward to see this.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 10:18
Yep the last few minutes were very encouraging. Need to start games playing like that though not when we have to to win the game.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 10:44
From what I have seen of Quins in recent weeks, when they get the ball they like to use it and move it wide very early. Therefore, our forwards are going to have to get possession and then we must hang on to it by going through the phases, not kicking it away aimlessly. It is a tough call given our up and down form of late and our recent record at the Stoop, but I am a little bit more hopeful we can and in some ways, must get a result there. Apart from Irish who may well be scrapping for their very existence when we meet, this is our last chance to win against a side below us in the table who are not either within 2 Points of us or are higher.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 10:50
Quote:
ballsout
Yep the last few minutes were very encouraging. Need to start games playing like that though not when we have to to win the game.

We actually did start the game exactly like that. Great, hanging kick with spot on distance. Stooke takes it cleanly. We go through a lot of phases, several times within a metre of the line/posts and only frantic Sale defence and 'professional' penalty stopped 7 points without a Shark getting their hand on ball from kick off

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 11:14
Quote:
Bathovalballer
From what I have seen of Quins in recent weeks, when they get the ball they like to use it and move it wide very early. Therefore, our forwards are going to have to get possession and then we must hang on to it by going through the phases, not kicking it away aimlessly. It is a tough call given our up and down form of late and our recent record at the Stoop, but I am a little bit more hopeful we can and in some ways, must get a result there. Apart from Irish who may well be scrapping for their very existence when we meet, this is our last chance to win against a side below us in the table who are not either within 2 Points of us or are higher.

Contain/pressure Marcus Smith is the key.

Tom Sutton
Tom Sutton (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 11:24
Quote:
Tom Sutton
I'm with you on that one PG.
Kick not 10m, therefore game over as scrum would have been awarded (or kick again - hardly likely to take that option!)

Once the referee had decided a scrum had to take place he was correct in ordering resets as the scrum then had to be completed. Greatest danger then was giving away a penalty especially as the Sale THP dived to the floor on (I think) the second reset. Should have been our penalty but could easily have gone the other way.
Justice was done in the end.

Tom Sutton

re my previous assertion above - I've been doing some more digging in the Law Book.
From Law 5 Time. Para 7 a.
"A half ends when the ball becomes dead after time has expired unless:
A scrum, lineout or restart kick following a try or touchdown, awarded before time expired, has not been completed and the ball has not returned to open play. This includes when the scrum, lineout or restart kick is taken incorrectly."

On that basis I think the referee did get it right - as noted by some previous posters.

Tom Sutton

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

29 March, 2018 13:54
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Denny Solomona: Sale Sharks wing charged after allegedly verbally abusing a Worcester player.

Television microphones picked up Warriors scrum-half Jamie Shillcock making the complaint in the 55th minute of the Premiership match.

Reports suggested Shillcock's complaint related to a "homophobic slur".

If the allegation is justified, it raises the question of when will these guys ever learn that its not acceptable?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

06 April, 2018 06:31
Denny Solomona: Sale wing banned for four weeks for homophobic slur

Very stupid.

Chris1850
Chris1850 (IP Logged)

06 April, 2018 07:38
Quote:
BathMatt53
Very stupid.

No he wasn't banned for a homophobic slur. Suggest you read the report from England Rugby properly

[www.englandrugby.com]

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

06 April, 2018 07:55
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
BathMatt53
Very stupid.

No he wasn't banned for a homophobic slur. Suggest you read the report from England Rugby properly

[www.englandrugby.com]

That was actually the headline from the BBC article.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

England and Sale wing Denny Solomona has been banned for four weeks for making a homophobic slur in the match against Worcester last month.

BBC Sport understands the word Solomona is alleged to have said is similar to that used by Mathieu Bastareaud in a European Cup match in January.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2018 07:57 by BathMatt53.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

06 April, 2018 07:57
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
BathMatt53
Very stupid.

[www.englandrugby.com]

Chris1850, bit harsh to have a go at Matt when the BBC headline says exactly that.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

06 April, 2018 07:59
Quote:
Chris1850
[www.englandrugby.com]

The BBC and Telegraph reports state 'alleged homophobic slur'. The England Rugby website comment refers to 'comments that were offensive and have no place on the rugby field'.

Strongly suspect the journalists know what was said but won't or can't repeat it. Whatever was said was bad enough for him to be banned for several weeks and he needs to reign it in if he's not to waste his talent.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

06 April, 2018 08:02
Am I right in thinking that the minutes are released in full after these disciplinary panels (like with citings?).

England Rugby give no details in their summary but I would be interested to see what Chris1850 thinks was said that ended with a 6 week ban (reducing to 4)?

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

06 April, 2018 08:16
Quote:
BathMatt53
England Rugby give no details in their summary but I would be interested to see what Chris1850 thinks was said that ended with a 6 week ban (reducing to 4)?

I have it on good authority the conversation went like this :

"Damn and blast it sir, did you see the way that cad and bounder pushed me over. It's a disgrace to Queen and country and I'm bally well not going to put up with it".

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

06 April, 2018 08:22
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:
BathMatt53

I have it on good authority the conversation went like this :

"Damn and blast it sir, did you see the way that cad and bounder pushed me over. It's a disgrace to Queen and country and I'm bally well not going to put up with it".

Disgraceful - no place on a rugby field for language like that, its the sort of thing that you would only expect to hear at the Badminton Horse Trials.

Chris1850
Chris1850 (IP Logged)

06 April, 2018 08:56
Quote:
BathMatt53
Am I right in thinking that the minutes are released in full after these disciplinary panels (like with citings?).

Yes. I believe you are correct that the minutes are released. If they make it clear that a homophobic remark was made then so be it. Until that is clarified by England Rugby then conclusions shouldn't be drawn. At the moment, we fans are none the wiser about what was actually said as ref Mic, other microphones etc do not make it clear. Obviously however he said something sufficiently bad to merit the ban and that cannot be tolerated, whatever it was.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

06 April, 2018 09:04
Come on guys, Chris1850 knows better than Shillcock and all the journos who are obviously just inventing stuff. He knows better all because an RFU statement is left intentionally vague, like the EPCR one was in Bastareaud's case.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

06 April, 2018 09:35
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
BathMatt53

Yes. I believe you are correct that the minutes are released. If they make it clear that a homophobic remark was made then so be it. Until that is clarified by England Rugby then conclusions shouldn't be drawn. At the moment, we fans are none the wiser about what was actually said as ref Mic, other microphones etc do not make it clear. Obviously however he said something sufficiently bad to merit the ban and that cannot be tolerated, whatever it was.
We've known since it was first reported that he was accused of a homophobic slur.
He's now been found guilty of "conduct prejudicial to the interests of the game" specifically in the form of verbal abuse. The only forms of verbal abuse that are "offensive and have no place on the rugby field" are racist/ethnicist, sexist or homophobic.

In order to deny that Solomona was accused of a homohobic slur is to read the linked RFU article, and figuratively nothing else.

RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2018 09:38 by Which Tyler.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

06 April, 2018 10:58
Smacks of a hush up to me.

I see Israel Folau is up to his usual grade A bellendery again.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

06 April, 2018 17:07
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
BathMatt53

It's pretty clear this was homophobic, in fact if you want the term scroll down on the link.

England rugby star Denny- Solomona charged over homophobic slur

It's been up since 29th March.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

06 April, 2018 19:33
Just a thought, but Denny was found guilty of "conduct prejudicial to the interests of the game" not for using a homophobic slur (now, the conduct in question is his use of a homophobic slur, but let's ignore that for now).
Denny pleaded "Not Guilty" to the conduct charge. So either, he denies using the slur (and the panel didn't believe him), or he agrees that he used the sour, but feels that it's fine to do so...

RAEBURN SHIELD

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

06 April, 2018 20:57
Crazy game Sale against Wasps. Topsy turvy, big injury delay, second consecutive loss for Wasps.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 13:51
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
BathMatt53
Very stupid.

[www.englandrugby.com]

OK Chris I have read the report properly. He was, as previously reported, very stupid.

[For those of you with a nervous disposition be aware that the judgement does include some bad language.]

[www.englandrugby.com]

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 14:54
When you read that and all the details it seems a bit odd, essentially one man caled another man a name whilst they were playing a game

Chris1850
Chris1850 (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 15:56
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
BathMatt53
Very stupid.

[www.englandrugby.com]

OK Chris I have read the report properly. He was, as previously reported, very stupid.

[For those of you with a nervous disposition be aware that the judgement does include some bad language.]

[www.englandrugby.com]

Agreed. Though essentially the panel accepted what Shilcock claimed he heard ahead of what Denny claimed he said. No corroborating evidence either way. What seems to have swayed the panel to believe Shilcocks version is his actions of complaining to the referee immediately after the alleged comments. ie he made the complaint immediately and was consistent in what he claimed to have heard.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

10 April, 2018 19:37
I find it strange that Solomona used a homophobic slur to insult someone, but not in a homophobic manner.

Could you take offence at any insult (slur) if you chose to e.g. ĎYouíre an F..ing cheatí.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net