rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

fat lock
fat lock (IP Logged)

What are we 'allowed' to post?
25 February, 2018 08:19
I don't come to this site for a reasoned discussion, but even so, some recent threads seem to deteriorate quite quickly into complaining about what others write, rather than chatting about things.
In a sporting sense we seem to be playing the man and not the ball.

In a thread building up to the game there are (thankfully) a range of views. However those that are saying that they expect a humping are criticised for being negative and that they ought to 'get behind the team' whatever. Those posts are then criticised for being stupidly optimistic and one eyed.

Then after the game there is the opportunity for a nice round of 'I told you so' with a few digs thrown in.
Maybe we could accept that looking a a team sheet and thinking - 'Ruddy hell, not much chance here' - is acceptable and doesn't need a shoeing in the same way as thinking - 'come boys do your best' doesn't need a referral to a psychiatrist.
On top of that our resident undercover agent (though I think his cover has been blown - maybe his handlers should do the decent thing and arrange repatriation) from Exeter complains that no-one is thumping anyone. We know part of your assumed identity is to be a psychopath.

I do enjoy the irony of 'optimistic' being the most doom laden conspiracy driven poster on the site, along with Rob Baxter's love child having 'Bath' in his name. I really enjoy it when the petulant spoilt child comes back and has a strop becomes no-one loves him enough (Malcolm - come back and finish you tea!, sorry Mum).
But the constant digs at each other rather than opinions is tiresome.

In the spirit of open debate I sincerely hope plenty disagree, pick holes in my post and if possible post with humour rather than hubris.
And, just to spoil your fun I know I'm an arrogant,stupid ar5e who (insert whatever insults your wish)..............
FL

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

Re: What are we 'allowed' to post?
25 February, 2018 08:47
Very sensible FL.

I am not sure if I would want your world entirely. Two other sites illustrate the extremes. The Exeter site is super bland and likes to wish players a happy birthday, less for recent tirades about the ref when they lose, while the Dark Site is inhabited by some hard core knuckle draggers who criticise the ref de rigueur.

Seems we’re not far off the middle.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 08:57
You’re not allowed to insult Bath Rugby players with absurd, hysterical, personal abuse. You are allowed to criticise posters who do that. IMNVHO.

Gussieboy
Gussieboy (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 09:01
Good post Fatlock, you are not really allowed to have an opinion and doing so is punishable by folks initially rubbishing what you have said, telling you your opinion is wrong and this in turn will lead to general insults and the occasional strop, where someone says ‘right i’m Never posting again. So watch out for the thought police.

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 09:54
It appears that the old adage it's not what you say but the way that you say it is what is causing an issue with some posters. They may have a valid point and everyone is entitled to an opinion. But when it descends into hyperbole and insult the point is lost and others take umbrage.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 10:22
From my own perspective, I don't find BoB's posts offensive. He might really dig a player but as I am not that player, nor a relative, I don't take it personally. I'm used to football sites and players are regularly slated, even sometimes unfairly ;-) I think posters who take huge faux offence at his opinions are being disengenous. I often find his pessimism amusing, last season anyway. This season has seen a fair but to be pessimistic about, unfortunately.
I do find some of the retorts to BoB pretty personal though. Unnecessarily so. Bit snidey tbh. And I think it's those retorts that lower the tone of the place rather than his.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

southgate
southgate (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 11:01
I agree fat lock it's a forum where we all should be allowed an opinion .

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 11:05
Interesting, FL. Thanks for posting. I mostly agree with you... and it's always better to reflect on these things after a win!

As a general rule, I try to post as if we were in a pub chatting about rugby, so anything you wouldn't say to someone over a pint shouldn't be posted. Having said that, even I might have crossed that line once or twice. All is meant only in jest but I understand that jest/irony/sarcasm is hard to set out on screen.

From the vast majority, the level of stick and banter is about right. It's when it descends beyond the first couple of back and forths that things spiral. Take a team selection post - it should be a completely open forum for everyone to express their thoughts on the team and its chances, which can conceivably and understandably range from "we'll stuff them" to "they'll stuff us". All opinions, well argued preferably, in that range are welcome but it's people with an axe to grind or a clear vendetta that doesn't change over the course of a season (s) that bugs me. That behaviour is limited to very few posters, so we shouldn't let that taint the rest of what is a really excellent informed and entertaining forum.
As you say, I don't want the site to be less opinionated - it would quickly become boring. So, for me, as long as we all pretend we're having a leisurely pint together, we'll be fine.

Cheers!

sirtidychris
sirtidychris (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 11:25
There is a lot of handbags on this site, Im not a die hard just drop in and out, dropping out when the rugby chat dies and the hand bags gets a bit much. I agree with the above that the outrage at BOB I find rather comical the stuff he says really isn't that bad but seems to really wind people up.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 11:33
I think the rule of thumb is say only what you would say face to face.

It's easy to be brave and nasty from anonymity.

PG

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 11:44
I find BoB's humour about 'The Spa' quite funny and his jokes about playing again the same, there is an easy going theme to it and it hurts no one.

A Bath player reading it would probably be OK with that alone, but then when it gets personal over individual players then a line is crossed I think.

If a player has a bad game then we should be able to criticise that technically but don't doubt that they care individually. Pro sport must be a tough life and is probably not like we think it is.

I would welcome more behind the scenes coverage, I think it would be fascinating and make us more understanding in defeat. The sport has a strong history of community contact and it feels as though the pro era has lost some of that.

I can remember watching England train up at the Uni under Ashton and Bath at the Rec before the St Georges games with open public access, as enjoyable for me as a match.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 12:13
Quote:
P G Tips
I think the rule of thumb is say only what you would say face to face.
It's easy to be brave and nasty from anonymity.

PG

++1

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 13:37
Quote:
Boldangrey
Very sensible FL.
I am not sure if I would want your world entirely. Two other sites illustrate the extremes. The Exeter site is super bland and likes to wish players a happy birthday, less for recent tirades about the ref when they lose, while the Dark Site is inhabited by some hard core knuckle draggers who criticise the ref de rigueur.

Seems we’re not far off the middle.

Well put. I chuckled at the "likes to wish players happy birthday" part.

Oh and the dark site is just miserable, ignorant and spiteful. The bitterness is strong on that one.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 14:58
‘I do find some of the retorts to BoB pretty personal though’

BoB makes intensely personal comments about players, constantly questioning their bravery, their basic skills, their attitude, their desire and their professionalism and accusing the club and Dave Attwood of lying. As far as i’m concerned he can’t complain about receiving some personal abuse in response - and in fairness, he doesn’t complain, he just carries on posting garbage instead. I don’t make personal comments about anyone else because no-one else really posts personal insults to the players.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 17:57
Quote:
Optimist
‘I do find some of the retorts to BoB pretty personal though’
BoB makes intensely personal comments about players, constantly questioning their bravery, their basic skills, their attitude, their desire and their professionalism and accusing the club and Dave Attwood of lying. As far as i’m concerned he can’t complain about receiving some personal abuse in response - and in fairness, he doesn’t complain, he just carries on posting garbage instead. I don’t make personal comments about anyone else because no-one else really posts personal insults to the players.

It's not Dave Atwood or Charlie Ewels responding to BoB though is it?

It a couple of other posters whom I get the impression just hang around waiting to be offended.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 18:05
That's irrelevant in my view Dan. If you make personal comments about other people, then you can't complain when other people make personal comments. Besides - BoB doesn't seem to take offence (I don't get the impression he's a sensitive old soul). Is it a bit ironic that you're taking offence on his behalf whilst defending him saying that we shouldn't take offence because his comments are directed at someone other than the person being rude back?

Hmm - note to self: get a life, opti.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 18:09
Good thread the constant BOB baiting and criticism of his opinions is hugely tiresome and a little like childish bullying.

Interesting that the main culprit has yet to contribute to this thread. Undoubtedly he will chime in shortly .....

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 18:40
I do think some of his comments are totally inappropriate & should be called out as such.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 20:02
Quote:
Optimist
Hmm - note to self: get a life, self.
Finally, something we can all agree with.
Quote:
Kidney Stone
Interesting that the main culprit has yet to contribute to this thread. Undoubtedly he will chime in shortly .....
Sorry, been busy all day.

Personally, I try to treat these places as a rugby club bar. Nothing inwpuodnt say to someone's face, but probably a bit more forthright than in many other social places; and that inappropriate humour is largely appropriate.
I also feel that no opinion should be beyond the pale,but that the more... contraversial the opinion, the more evidence should be provided to support it. Oh, and that opinions should not be repeated ad nauseam, or everyone just stops listening. I try to keep my personal core opinions to once a year or so, maybe link to a previous discussion on it if it's been done too recently or would be too much of a derail (or sometimes if I've nothing to add to something I've said before). Eg player welfare / minutes for front rowers / concussion / shrink the Prem.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 25/02/2018 20:06 by Which Tyler.

wilshd
wilshd (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 20:31
Completely agree. The threads have turned into boring ganging up against BoB to the extent that he will write something and the next 10 posts will be 3 or 4 of the regulars just trying to wind him up. Not defending BoB being personal against players but frankly one might wonder if you put yourself in a similar bracket if you gang up like that and make the threads turn into endless arguments instead of talking about the rugby. It's easy to ignore one particular post and move on but the hijacking of threads is tiresome.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 21:23
Quote:
Kidney Stone
Good thread the constant BOB baiting and criticism of his opinions is hugely tiresome and a little like childish bullying.

There are many types of bullying, undermining digs at players and repeating the same content over and over even when the original point was thoroughly debated is incredibly frustrating.
Often it ends up as being seen by members as a personal attack if they have defended that player or opinion.
There does come a point where one feels that allowing that stance to continue unchallenged is seen as tacit agreement.

That is not to say that the retorts are wrong, they might well be but I also think that they are measured. Its a fine line but its one the moderators have to tread. I think that its a role that has been well trodden by both past and present occupiers of that role.

It is interesting to note that in a thread that is essentially about 'moderation' there has as yet been no comment from them.

This is a forum where most of the contributors have played the game for a period of time and are not afraid of giving or taking a hit or two. In some respects its different to other forums. Somehow I don't think BathOvalBaller would be shy about defending himself, in fact he might even be offended if others did so!

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 21:43
[quote shipwrecked].

It is interesting to note that in a thread that is essentially about 'moderation' there has as yet been no comment from them.

SW
Not so - see my post (the 10th of the thread) and your response to it (12th).

PG

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 21:47
Well that might be because you were not posting with your 'Mods Hat" on. I had forgotten that!

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 23:57
There's precious little analysis on here as to why the team wins or loses but plenty of analysis of why various posters thought a victory or defeat was imminent.

Despite BoB's over reaction he actually has a point. The team don't 'front up' often enough. It's clear there's times when they just don't. I don't know enough and haven't seen enough seasons to know if this is a problem that's particular to Bath or if every team goes through a phase of being too passive. It's also clear when they do and I can't understand what makes the difference in attitude. I just don't know enough to even guess.

It's a very strange thing that BoB has latched onto. In rugby you clearly have to up for the physical battle and we have enough powerful men to make a go of it.

What happens pre match on the days they come put flat is a mystery.

In my ignorance my suspicions point me to the leader, i.e.TB. That's the 1st thing I think of. Doesn't make me in any way right but it's happened often enough that I really start to wonder.

Oddly, imo, BoB doesn't seem to have a bone to pick there. His perspective seems to be the players should be doing more to make sure they're up for the fight.

Maybe Ali's idea that the problems within the club might be a cause of it.

We're not doing badly but we could certainly be doing better but there's a distinct impression that not everyone at the club is pulling in the same direction.

It will inevitably lead to discussion, debate, strong opinions, wrong opinions, etc.

Good.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

25 February, 2018 23:59
There's precious little analysis on here as to why the team wins or loses but plenty of analysis of why various posters thought a victory or defeat was imminent.

Despite BoB's over reaction he actually has a point. The team don't 'front up' often enough. It's clear there's times when they just don't. I don't know enough and haven't seen enough seasons to know if this is a problem that's particular to Bath or if every team goes through a phase of being too passive. It's also clear when they do and I can't understand what makes the difference in attitude. I just don't know enough to even guess.

It's a very strange thing that BoB has latched onto. In rugby you clearly have to up for the physical battle and we have enough powerful men to make a go of it.

What happens pre match on the days they come put flat is a mystery.

In my ignorance my suspicions point me to the leader, i.e.TB. That's the 1st thing I think of. Doesn't make me in any way right but it's happened often enough that I really start to wonder.

Oddly, imo, BoB doesn't seem to have a bone to pick there. His perspective seems to be the players should be doing more to make sure they're up for the fight.

Maybe Ali's idea that the problems within the club might be a cause of it.

We're not doing badly but we could certainly be doing better but there's a distinct impression that not everyone at the club is pulling in the same direction.

It will inevitably lead to discussion, debate, strong opinions, wrong opinions, etc.

Good.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 02:44
Quote:
shipwrecked
Well that might be because you were not posting with your 'Mods Hat" on. I had forgotten that!

I didn't realise we had special hats. The rules are simple insults and abuse is verboten. The rules are posted on the site. Examples player X should not wear the Bath shirt again. I assume we are alll adults and can police ourselves!

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 08:39
Interesting to see a few defending deliberate trolling. As Opti says, some of the insurgent's regular comments about one of our internationals have stepped way beyond the mark of acceptability, but do not appear to have been sanctioned as they continue to be repeated, even when said player is not in our matchday squad.

Then there is the reptition ad naueseum, which is a deliberate windup, but @#$%& people off no end.

The spa and return to play jokes are fine, and occasionally there are some good posts, but as ever they too often get lost in the noise.

There are other petty squabbles between posters that just become tiresome becomes a couple of people are always insistent of having the final word and keep bickering back.

I do think there is a great sense of frustration in being a Bath fan because for too long we have not consistently performed to our abilities, coupled with the never ending injury problems, slow progress on the stadium etc, and that all boils over (understandably) onto here.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 08:57
The real reason for so much bickering is that there is no obvious answer to the problems.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 09:02
CC I was referring to this sort of thing

https://image.ibb.co/nNht3H/mod_icon.png

You guys are in an interesting situation. You can post as forum members and also as Moderators, regular posters know who the moderators are and welcome contributions. However, if pointing out an irregularity moderators on other forums identify themselves in a different way to make it clear the role they are playing.
If you wanted to or felt it appropriate you could easily post with a different identity to make it clear to even irregular posters would be aware of how the comment should be viewed.

I'm simply explaining my comment by the way, no criticism intended.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 09:03
Quote:
Boldangrey
The real reason for so much bickering is that there is no obvious answer to the problems.

+1

If the team was progressing and getting closer to challenging for top honours that would be all we'd talk about.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 09:20
It's an immutable law of this (and probably all sports sites) that there is infinitely more activity in the wake of a loss than a win. There's just more to say, more variety of opinions/solutions/suggestions, and inevitably more bickering. Personally, if we win, i vent my excitement by screaming nice things at them and/or the telly and treat myself to another drink. When we lose this is the metaphorical 'dog' that gets a kick.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 09:24
Quote:
Optimist
When we lose this is the metaphorical 'dog' that gets a kick.

Not sure you are allowed to say that! winking smiley

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 09:32
'Metaphorical' SW. That's what makes it OK.

Perhaps we should all post metaphorically.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 09:32
I'd argue, at the moment it's easier to point out the reasons we lose (from a playing perspective) then the reasons win. Hence the discussion.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 09:34
But harder to point out the solution.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 09:35
I think there is a difference between "the rules" - which Coochie Coo has explained and what people expect and interpret as reasonable behaviour.

We try to keep "rules" to a minimum to allow posters room for self expression.
When frustration builds up (as it has for much of this season) people naturally "sound off", which is fine. Taking it out on other posters though can spoil the atmosphere.

I like to think of the board as a favourite pub. There will be others who frequent the pub whose opinions you don't share or whose company you don't care for - you don't have to engage with them. Equally, discussion may get heated over topics people hold dear -or when over indulged.

As in a pub, deliberate and persistent troublemakers risk being barred by the landlord, but otherwise there should be room for tolerance- it will seem less fraught in the morning!

PG

P G Tips

Alex Davies: my adopted Player, 2018-19.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/02/2018 17:12 by P G Tips.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 09:41
DB a sanction in the form of a virtual YC was posted 'ere on 17 Feb

Quote:
CoochieCoo
It's a yellow card for BoB. This board can censor posters before they post like other media operators but we choose to trust our posters to be sensible, but downright insults and abuse of players is unacceptable and that is what keeps posters away.
Please discuss our issues rationally and constructively criticise the players but wanting players to be hurt is unacceptable.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 09:45
Quote:
Boldangrey
But harder to point out the solution.

One of us would be working in professional rugby if we knew the definitive answers.

It's fun to have a guess though. Or at least, it should be.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 09:49
There are three moderators on this board - PG Tips, Coochie Coo and myself. Of us PG Tips is comfortably the most important as he writes the vast majority of the articles on this site that keep it alive - we have to publish an article every fortnight or the board 'disappears'.

If it seems like you don't know when we're posting 'as moderators' is because we almost never are. None of us have the inclination or time to take a heavy handed approach to moderating threads. As a result threads can occasionally wander off topic, but our view is that this is generally fine. The house rules are linked at the head of the page - as you can see they haven't changed for quite some time.

The only OT thing we tend to try and keep channeled in one place is Politics/Brexit - and that's primarily because it can be (is) very divisive.

Due to our disinclination to take a heavy-handed approach to moderation, some threads can descend into squabbles. And, occasionally, those can be repetitive. We appreciate that this can be frustrating to some. If we feel it's getting out of hand we are prepared to step in. But we're reticent to do this frequently. You're adults, we will continue to treat you like adults.

There are very, very few people actually banned from the board.

A couple of general points though:

1. Everyone is free to present their opinion. That doesn't mean that you're free from having your opinion questioned.
2. This is, you'll recall, a forum for Bath Rugby supporters. We're not an objective bunch. If you make frequent posts critical of Bath Rugby, particularly if those opinions are repetitive and/or presented with no evidence, it should not be surprising if a number of posters get frustrated with that.

Identifying a moderator 'acting as a moderator' is usually pretty straightforward. If we've:
a. Edited a post
b. Put a post on a thread that is clearly not discussing the topic of the thread but asking for a change in behaviour
c. Closed a thread

If it's anything else, we're not being moderators, we're just being Bath fans. That being said, I appreciate that sometimes a mod saying something can cause additional tension or division - I tend to post less on divisive topics as a result. That's a personal choice though, I wouldn't hold any of the other mods to it, nor do I promise never to post on those threads.

tl;dr in general we're just going to let you get on with it.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 11:19
I sincerely hope there are more important issues to be discussed on Ere than my reaction or otherwise to various posts which TBH have got very close to the mark on occasions and like most I look upon this forum as an extension of the local bar. But I must say being told to foxtrot Oscar is not pleasant and IMO shows disrespect for another opinion and shows a persons ignorance and intolerance to the same!

On the whole I enjoy the debate and reading others perspective on things, and am old, (not so wise) wiser, and can take the odd bric bat and will stand up to bullying which I detest. I will not be cowered by it.

However, as I have repeated adnausium, as a near life time supporter of 38 years of the club, I only want the very best for Bath Rugby and to see us back where we need to be, competing at the highest level and winning things. (Hopefully this starts with the AW Cup!).

I do find it annoying when my postings are taken out of context and wonder sometimes if people actually read and comprehend what is written. In many ways, I would welcome back people like Bod, and Malco and others banned or put off like Ellie, as they all had something to say about something we all care about.

I am absolutely positive that we all as supporters old and new, but all supporters, want the very best for Bath Rugby. When things are glaringly awful and appear to be going wrong they should be aired by those who care, as it is out only way of releaving some of our frustration. IMO praise has to be earned and I honestly like to and have done so (often glossed over) but I suppose mine are always slightly tainted with the excellence of the club's past glories. Being older I can remember and started following Bath, about the time Jack Rowell arrived, when they were on the rise and were not considered to be top draw. Sides like Quins, Coventry, Saints, Leicester, Moseley, Gloucester and Bristol ruled the roost. But like Exeter now ( and Saracens in previous years) is why I use them as a comparison not because I support them, Bath got better and better. It can be done and I sincerely hope and pray it will not be too long before that occurs again. Certainly IMO we are extremely lucky in having a rugby nut like Bruce as our owner and not just any old hard nosed business man.

Let us hope Saturday was the turning point and we can start to see further continuance of all round improvement and not fall back to the dire play/off field happenings we have too often seen this season.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 12:07
To be clear, malco is not banned.

Bathovalballer

26 February, 2018 12:17
Sorry I didn't make it clear. I understand Malco is not banned, but I was trying to make the point that others who have been upset and left the site, should hopefully return as many like Bod and Malco have insightful and interesting differing views and good knowledge to add to the debates.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 12:53
Does the question posted within this thread boil down to

1. 'do you think BOvB posts are often bonkers ?' ... or ...

2. 'do you think that sometimes those that post that 'BOvB's posts are often bonkers' are themselves over zealous, easily offended snowflakes and in fact not all of BOvB's posts are bonkers ?'

It is possible to adopt both view, as I do in this instance. This thread will be more interesting after Bath's next inept performance as we can then assess all posts using the universally acknowledged 'bonkers scale'.

Thank you OP for raising this important topic.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 13:21
I'll happily respond to anyone who makes unacceptable posts about players/staff or who often initiates the meanderings/bickerings by posting deliberately controversial nonsense without evidence, just a personal grudge or a need to rile forum members up. That doesn't make me perpetually part of the only-post-good-things club (my up and down feelings towards Bath Rugby right now reflect that). That doesn't make me someone trying to deny others a voice - however, they cannot expect to post nonsense without being challenged. Trolling is a deliberate attempt to derail and stifle reasonable debate. That is the issue and one that mostly BOB creates creating every day. If people jump on him quicker now than in the past, that's the bed he made for himself.

No one is saying you are/aren't allowed to post certain things, as reiterated by the Mods, so there's no need to play the victim. Maybe address the cause, not the symptom.

Malco had fantastic insight, but invariably every thread would descend into him being the focal point, irrespective of the OP and irrespective of whether it was Malco or others (myself included) who initiated it. It made it difficult for the board to be readable at times. It came to a head with some rather unpleasant comments overheard in real life during his tenure in running ERE and I understand why he stood down at that point. He'll always be welcomed back by the majority of us (whether he feels he is or not).

As for Bod, he turned more and more poisonous and led to some of the darkest moments of the board. Some of the rants were highly unacceptable. Again, a shame because of the input he offered, but sadly inevitable.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 13:25
Very well said Rawce.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 14:07
Quote:
RAWCE
No one is saying you are/aren't allowed to post certain things, as reiterated by the Mods, so there's no need to play the victim. Maybe address the cause, not the symptom

+1

Long Term
Long Term (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 15:52
BoB as we are bandying about numbers concerning how long we have supported Bath I will let you know I have been a member since the 1971/72 season, and watched them in the sixties as a child. I still adhere to the belief that as a Fan its not all about what I expect/want.( A legacy of the amateur era). Yes now we pay large sums to watch you may take the attitude that as a customer you have rights. As this is a Forum of course you are entitled to your views, however constant repetition of your doubts and disappointments concerning certain players and the club as a whole does not mark you out as a 'true'fan and may well lead to come-back and criticism.As I don't know you this is not meant to be a personal attack!

Bathovalballer

26 February, 2018 17:06
Taken in the spirit in which you write Long Term and I will take on board your comments.

In view of the years you have watched/supported Bath you must agree how we have risen from a relatively also ran first class side, to the top of the tree, over many years. Just like Saracens and now Exeter have done. We need to start matching and bettering these sides to get back to where we were and here is hoping this will prove to be the case.

Long Term
Long Term (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 17:44
BoB I agree we all want success and you and I are one of the lucky ones to have enjoyed the historical rise and past successes of this club, It may be that Bath may never reach those heights again but supporting this club is very much part of who I am and I still enjoy all aspects of this including the highs and lows. Bath rugby remaining in the city is at the heart of this and I feel it must remain so at all costs. This I am sure is the main focus of the non-playing side of the club.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

26 February, 2018 17:46
I think it’s pretty simple with BoB. He may we’ll have a point about aspects of why we are not playing as well as we would like and we think we can.

Sadly he undermines his points by descending into name calling or gratuitous insults about “weaklings” or “powder puffs” or players not really trying etc.

He can be very repetitive, but we’re all guilty of that!

Stuart

Former ed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net