rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

10 for Friday?
27 February, 2018 09:55
Considering Burns was 60/40 for last week, Iíd expect him to be fit for Friday.

So who do you go with at 10 following Wilsonís MotM, match winning performance?

Personally, Iíd go for Burns but have Wilson at 15 and Homer on the bench. Whilst Wilson played very well, and kicked excellently, Burns is our international 10 who deserves a go in the shirt with Rhys injured. I also think Quins will be an open game that should suit him. Itís tempting to start Homer at 15 too, but Iím not sure if you can drop Wilson after his performance last week!

So 10 Burns 15 Wilson 23 Homer for me.

Thoughts?

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

Re: 10 for Friday?
27 February, 2018 10:05
As Eddie Jones said about Te'o in his injury comeback, it's sometimes the second game that is harder than the first. Could be the same with Wilson. Zero expectations last Saturday, relatively little pressure. This week would be a bit different.

No question, for me, that Burns should start if fit. No question that Wilson has to be in the starting XV. Maybe he can try out wing this week. What a class act.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 10:32
Been a disjointed and not entirely convincing season for FB, so wouldn't criticise the coaches for sticking with Wilson at 10.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 10:46
Well Batty at hooker needs a rest so what about Wilson pulling on the number 2 jersey?

Nah, not really!

But Freddie needs the confidence of his Coaches and supporters so if fit he starts. Wilson will fully understand it and applying the Eddie philosophy on second game then yes Homer to the bench

HugoBoss
HugoBoss (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 11:04
Yes to all above.

Wilson to FB, Freddie at 10 and Homer to come on when/if we need to mix it up in the latter stages. Wilson has a real calmness about him which I think is something we need more of at moments, and a fit again Homer is a useful option to have. Wilson completely deserves to stay in the starting 15, and the more continuity we can get the better.

Very much hope from a personal preference that it is Freddie who starts. Quins is my first game of the season (sob) and his vision is something I hope I get to see in full flow, especially against a Quins side, who by their own admission, are floundering.

I heard somewhere Banners may be back too-any further news on that?

Adopted Player 2017-18.....Semesa "Freak of Nature" Rokoduguni

Olly_L
BathLad (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 11:47
Personally would go with Wilson at 13, Hurrell at 12 and FB at 10. Wasn't impressed with Tapuai's defence on the weekend, especially off first phase. Hopefully Homer will be able to slot in at 15 having had a very impressive campaign last year injuries have unfortunately prevented him kicking on again!

Ian E
Ian E (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 12:20
Iíd go Freddie if heís fit he needs game time. Agree Wilson stays in starting team after that performance

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 12:35
Just to add to the mix, Josh Lewis should have recovered from his HIA shouldn't he.

Have to say be harsh on Wilson if he didn't play at all, bearing in mind he kicked well too!

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 12:44
I have to say that for all positive reasons and certainly not just for the sake of my Fantasy Rugby Draft team, James Wilson should play all 80 minutes next weekend. And kick sticks.

robhumperson
Humpo (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 14:29
If Homer is fit, he starts at 15. He is one player that we've missed the most - his reliability under the high ball is incredible.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 15:16
Yes, but we all reckon he deliberately nobbled Josh Lewis so is that fair?

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 20:16
So who kicks at goal, Freddie Josh L, James W or Homer?

Spoilt for choice.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 21:02
Well Iíd start Wilson at 10 and Homer at 15.
JW looked all round good inc lengthy, certain kicks out of hand.
TH looked the biz too, easily best 15 at the club in the absence of AW.
FB on bench.

HOP

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 21:32
I would definitely have Wilson kicking for goal. Again, definitely not related to my fantasy team.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 21:41
Quote:
sid the seagull
FB on bench.

HOP

+1

Wilson didnít put a foot wrong on Saturday.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 21:55
Quote:
Kidney Stone
Quote:
sid the seagull
FB on bench.

HOP

+1

Its quite surprising how good he was, I wonder if hes continually been practising his tee kicking - I guess so

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 22:04
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
Kidney Stone
Quote:
sid the seagull
FB on bench.

HOP

+1

Its quite surprising how good he was, I wonder if hes continually been practising his tee kicking - I guess so

Length...never forget how important length is!

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 23:14
Not just off the tee. His decision making was sound and exactly what we needed.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 23:21
Perhaps we should rotate the squad through the 10 position, see if we've got any more

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 23:25
Pure Genius (Sm34)

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 23:40
Given that James Wilson played 10 for both the Highlanders and the Chiefs (with whom he reached the Super Rugby final), perhaps we shouldn't be too surprised that he's quite good at it. It does raise the question of quite how much we need our other star 10s.

I'd start him at 10 until such time as we lose.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 27/02/2018 23:44 by joethefanatic.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 23:50
You do wonder if he is a Jimmy Gopperth or a Nick Evans and just been overlooked.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

27 February, 2018 23:52
Quote:
shipwrecked
You do wonder if he is a Jimmy Gopperth or a Nick Evans and just been overlooked.

Well hes 6 foot 5

miller8
miller8 (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 08:37
I suspect this game will be called off anyway..

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 08:43
So, when Josh Lewis leaves, do we replace him or rely on Wilson?

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 08:59
Quote:
miller8
Quin's, not Wasps

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 09:03
Quote:
miller8

Really, understandable if the pitch is frozen, but not just for snow!

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 09:10
And spectator safety which can be more of an issue than the playing surface

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 09:11
Quote:
Boldangrey
So, when Josh Lewis leaves, do we replace him or rely on Wilson?

Could be that Todd is thinking exactly the same BNG

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 09:28
Good point re Wilson for next season. On Saturday's showing, I'd be more than happy with Burns, Priestland and Wilson, with the young Tom de Glanville pushing through, too.

Spend Lewis' money on a centre. Or Nadolo.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 09:29
Quote:
gaz59
And spectator safety which can be more of an issue than the playing surface

Taken from the Quins board:

"Membership manager bloke responded to someone on twitter saying itís unlikely game would be cancelled - pitch under snow protection and everything being gritted (including fansí teeth no doubt)"

terracehugger
terracehugger (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 09:40
Surely Wilson has got to be at 10 from the outset.

His performance was in a totally different league to any produced by either Priestland or Burns this season.

Cook must start at 9.

Burns on bench.

Homer at 15.

miller8
miller8 (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 10:05
Heavy snow forecast in South and South West tomorrow and Friday so not sure Bath will make the trip. We will see, forecasts change....

by
by (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 10:06
I'd start Burns, Homer and Banahan. Wilson and Vuna to the bench, Atkins dropped.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 10:17
Quote:
terracehugger
Surely Wilson has got to be at 10 from the outset.
His performance was in a totally different league to any produced by either Priestland or Burns this season.

Absolutely nothing was expected of Wilson prior to the match. If that game had played out precisely the same way - c. 60% possession and a squeaky 1-point win - with Burns or Priestland at 10, I suspect they would have taken a right slating.

Wilson's performance - and the win, even - was just a big bonus. Can't see it happening twice in a row. I'd rather get Wilson into the starting line up - probably at 15 - and give the backline a generally more coherent look to it.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 10:22
Controversial idea, Burns at 10, Wilson at 12, drop Tapuai.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 10:26
Quote:
hasta

I'd back this. Taps has looked a little off in the last couple of games, might need a week off.

(Wilson still goal kicking hasta? winking smiley )

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 10:41
I mean, why wouldn't you? winking smiley #noulteriormotives #topofthetableclash

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 10:50
Quote:
hasta
Agreed.
Burns is fighting to be first choice; and isn't going to be kept happy by being behind the 4th choice.

(James) Wilson is a perfectly good 12, and was ostensibly brought in to cover the midfield; it's necessity that has him covering the back 3.

Tap.s is in a run of poor form currently; he might need benefit from a break, he might also benefit from being dropped for a match. Whilst we have the ability to rotate in a position without really affecting quality; then let's use it - it's a unique experience for us this last 18 months!

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 10:53
Whilst with respect to Wilson I'm wary that one swallow doesn't make a summer, I can't really name a 80 mins where Burns has played consistently enough to demand a shirt.

I don't really like the idea of saying "you had a great game at 10, but we want to give Burns some game time and we're sure you'll do just as well at 12."

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 11:11
If fit FB has to start at 10. If we are serious about top 6 we need to go full throttle for a win. No sentiment in sport.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 11:11
No, but I do think that Burns has been playing better at 10 than Taps has at 12 recently.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 11:26
Agree Freddie is the future and as well as James W played last weekend, he is not the long term player we need running our half back attack and game plan.
I certainly would not be concerned if JW provided cover at 10 next season, whilst we look and develops a youngster. I have read and heard some good things about DeG's lad but wonder if any others have seen what he is like as a player?

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 12:07
Quote:
joethefanatic
Given that James Wilson played 10 for both the Highlanders and the Chiefs (with whom he reached the Super Rugby final), perhaps we shouldn't be too surprised that he's quite good at it. It does raise the question of quite how much we need our other star 10s.
I'd start him at 10 until such time as we lose.

He was a very bit part player for both Highlanders and the Chiefs and wasn't near the match day squad for that 2009 Super Rugby final with the Chiefs as they had both Stephen Donald and Mike Delaney at 10 and the imperious Mils Muliana at 15.

It does prove though how much more rounded and better footballers the NZ rugby system provides compared to the English. The skillset and game understanding of someone to move across the entire backline to the extent that they can play a top professional level and not look even slightly out of place in a key tactical role is impressive.

Wilson is a really good player but whether we keep him on or not I am not sure. He's 34 which is considerably older than he looks (I thought about 27-28) but if he can come off the bench or start in the periods where first choice players are out he may prove a really good longer term signing if he wants to stay on past the end of the season! Certainly experienced and a good enough player to offer something imo

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 12:44
"It does prove though how much more rounded and better footballers the NZ rugby system provides compared to the English"

It sure does.

Can't help comparing him with Atkins - who is a similar sort of physique, and played fly-half in junior rugby. I wonder if he will develop into the type of footballer Wilson is in our system. Would be fantastic if he can.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 12:51
I guess whoever's looked best in training will get the nod.

Was good to see Wilson play 10 though. Seemed to have time which is a rare talent.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 16:28
Burns is out according to the Chron.

Wilson at 10 for me with Homer at 15. Lewis on the bench.

Brew to the bench, too, with Banahan and Vuna on the wings.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 16:38
I just thought Freddie sprained his wrist which, unless worse, I would have thought he would be over by now. Have I got it wrong? Sure that is what I read.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 17:16
[www.bathchronicle.co.uk] Injury updates - Good news that Tom Dunn's injury not as bad as appeared.

HugoBoss
HugoBoss (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 19:35
Somewhat off topic, apologies....

FYI

[www.quins.co.uk]

I live a short drive from the Stoop off the M3. The M3 onto A316 to Twickenham have been kept clear for the snow we have had thus far perfectly comfortably. Our heaviest snowfall is predicted for tomorrow afternoon into Friday which set to be far heavier so were it to be called off, it will be purely down to the only main road in from the West struggling.

Safe travels to all those heading this way.

Adopted Player 2017-18.....Semesa "Freak of Nature" Rokoduguni

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net