rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

Mike Haley to Munster
28 February, 2018 17:45
Not relevant for us as a club but a shame from an English perspective that a really exciting young player has decided he would rather represent Ireland. Has played for the Saxons and is an excellent fullback I think. Shame for Sale as well!

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Have to wonder whether, given Brown is unlikely to make it past the World cup in a white shirt (if he gets there at all given his form..) and Goode seems to not be in EJ's plans that a potential contender to the 15 shirt is leaving!

Would have wanted to keep Haley as another option in the back three - would then have had Watson, Nowell, May, Solomona - all under 28 after the world cup and getting ready for the next one and Haley would have presumably been in that next batch coming into the setup to contend for places if form or injuries occur.

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

Re: Mike Haley to Munster
28 February, 2018 18:35
Good player who will only get better. Would love for him to have chosen to come to Bath.

Lets move we on.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

28 February, 2018 22:22
If he was a Saxon surely he can't play for Ireland?

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

01 March, 2018 06:57
Quote:
hasta
If he was a Saxon surely he can't play for Ireland?

I read somewhere that his Saxon caps were against South Africa 'A', but at that time they were referred to as the 'junior boks' and so not technically South Africa's designated 2nd team. So doesn't count?

(Usual caveat about I've got this from the Internet so may not be strictly true!)

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

01 March, 2018 07:26
Yup, apparently that year SA had nominated their juniors as being their second senior team; and seconds only count if playing another countries seconds, in a rule that was put in to dissuade people from naming juniors as being seniors... Erm...

I'd thought that rule had been rescinded when it failed to work, but apparently not. Oh, and it doesn't apply to first senior team BTW; so a Wales match Vs the BaaBaas is a capped match against a club side, and ties you in; anyone else Vs the BaaBaas isn't capped, and doesn't tie you in.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

01 March, 2018 07:42
Quote:
Which Tyler
Yup, apparently that year SA had nominated their juniors as being their second senior team; and seconds only count if playing another countries seconds, in a rule that was put in to dissuade people from naming juniors as being seniors... Erm...
I'd thought that rule had been rescinded when it failed to work, but apparently not. Oh, and it doesn't apply to first senior team BTW; so a Wales match Vs the BaaBaas is a capped match against a club side, and ties you in; anyone else Vs the BaaBaas isn't capped, and doesn't tie you in.

Clear as mud then!

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

01 March, 2018 09:26
He was always mentioned around squads, but never given a go. Best of luck to him.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

01 March, 2018 10:04
Sharks board generally not too unhappy at him going

Personally I've rated the Falcons 15, Hammersley, higher

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

01 March, 2018 10:10
Eh. I don't think either of them are particularly better than Homer.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

01 March, 2018 10:39
Having fewer clubs does make it easier to get spotted but you have to get into the province side first. Ireland are never short of back 3 talent. As for England - AJ, Daly and Nowell have 15 covered for the next few years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net