rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League


P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

Supporters' Forum Meeting at Farleigh
28 February, 2018 21:16
Bath Rugby held a meeting last week at Farleigh House to which moderators of COML and the Bath Rugby Facebook Group were invited.

It was a working session to help Bath Rugby understand the core themes of conversations on each forum and also help us understand the club's decision-making process on things like player recruitment and retention and a number of other hot topics - for us to share with our forum communities.

As well as the working discussion we were able to see an hour of training and some of the Farleigh House facilities.

I found the session very informative and very busy.
The Club, represented by Tarquin McDonald and members of the PR team were very keen to be as open with us as possible.

Below are the notes of the meeting which is intended to be the first of a regular series of briefings.

1. Fixtures.
Club preference is Saturday. Residents close to the Rec are impacted by games and have a strong preference to keep Sunday’s sacred. The Club does not have a preference Friday v Sunday unless it creates a short turn around for rugby. So Club have asked Premiership for 2:1 ratio of Friday/Sunday matches
Premiership have no control over European scheduling, which can affect choice of time and turnaround interval.
The Club have met PRL to reinforce importance of managing this.
Communications to STHs on fixture scheduling are planned.

2. Head Coach
Overall resources are currently under review and we will hear more if a gap in coaching resource is discovered. Bruce Craig does not impose coaches on the DOR.

3. Player Recruitment
This is continuously ongoing area.

Starts with retention -3 groups:
who do we want to keep?
Who might we like to keep?
who do we no longer require?

Club has a recruitment strategy – currently looking as far as 4 Years ahead, including developing own Academy pathway and “developing player” identification from elsewhere to get high potential payers while still young. Club wants to build a squad around long-term players. Example of one game this season (which we won) there were players on the pitch who should be able to give 10 years service to Bath Rugby.

Agents put pressure on players to sign short term contracts.

Todd is very “hands on” as DOR, which is his key focus, unlike some DORs who are almost full-time scouts/recruiters. The coaches and especially Todd are central to recruitment decision making.

Biggest recruiting impact in short term likely to be the return of existing players. The relationship with Beechen Cliff School is a way of nurturing young pre Academy talent- with significant input from the club.

4. Mind Coach
There is already support in place at the Club in certain areas and with certain individuals but Club is also looking at a broader role. It is very important to bring in the right person for this role.

5. Salary Cap
We do spend up to it and use all available injury cover allowances.

6. Season Ticket Increases
The Club want to retain 100% of STH’s and if changes need to be made, the club will consult with the supporter steering group of which COML is a member.
Ticket income is not the major source of revenue: club are conscious of the need to give value for money.

7. Banners
A good send off is being planned for Matt. Detail to be confirmed.

8. Medical.
Club is very aware of the injury issues (and indeed the inefficiency of having expensive players on treatment table instead of playing). The medical team will be enhanced with extra specialist resource next season.

9. Clash.
“Clash” shirt. A special shirt will be produced for the clash but it is not commercially possible to make it available for general sale. There will be an initiative to raise funds for the Foundation and the Club will look into some kind of Clash souvenir. We will report back on this.

10. Communications.
Representatives of COML and Bath Supporters Facebook Group will be invited to regular meetings. Information will be shared with these reps when news is confirmed.
The reps present (1 from COML, 4 from Facebook) agreed we would be happy to share information from the club. The Club want to build a relationship with COML and Facebook but agreed that both forums remain fully independent,
An emotional connection with the city and community is very important to the club.

Sorry for the long post - but there is much of interest in the above IMHO - including insights into a number of topics which have been regularly discussed on this board.

PG



P G Tips



Alex Davies: my adopted Player, 2018-19.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2018 11:22 by CoochieCoo.

 
P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

Re: Supporters' Forum Meeting at Farleigh
28 February, 2018 21:30
The above are the notes of the meeting.
Now for some personal impressions.

Farleigh (this is not my first visit -it is in fact my third) is definitely a lovely environment and well appointed. However I saw no sign of a pampering "Spa" environment. Just a professional training set up with great facilities.

At training there was no sign of "unrest" or division within the squad and from the interaction I saw between players, coaches and the management/admin staff, no evidence of open division between those three groups. I did see a well motivated, hard working opposed training session which all took seriously. There was even a brief "dust up" between two forwards which had to be calmed by colleagues (no names no pack drill).

Todd is an affable, approachable guy - he was not part of the meeting, but introduced himself to me while I was waiting at reception and we chatted for about 10 minutes before he set off for the training session.

Tarquin is a down to earth professional with his finger on the pulse of a lot of rugby issues. He is keen to ensure that supporters have accurate information about news and developments in the club. He and the PR team were also keen to hear feedback from the COML and Facebook reps.

I certainly look forward to more opportunities to meet the Club for exchanges of news and views. I will share with this board any info which the club makes available to publicise.

PG



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/02/2018 21:33 by P G Tips.

 
B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

Re: Supporters' Forum Meeting at Farleigh
28 February, 2018 21:33
Great, thanks for your time and the report PGT. I guess so much has to be kept confidential but still handy to see what they are looking at and the intention to keep comms channels open. Hope the sauna wasn't too hot ;-). I appreciate this was the commercial side of the club but it might help bond the whole concept if there was a playing side rep or a coach there just to balance it up?

 
MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

Re: Supporters' Forum Meeting at Farleigh
28 February, 2018 23:01
Thanks for posting PG. Nothing too surprising from my perspective, but great to hear it all the same!

Don't suppose you managed to get a sneak peak of their 4 year player recruitment plan did you!?

Salmon



Adopted Player 18-19: Anthony Perenise
Adopted Player 17-18 & 16-17: Dave Attwood
Adopted Player 15-16: Matt Garvey

 
MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

Re: Supporters' Forum Meeting at Farleigh
01 March, 2018 00:09
Loads of interesting stuff there PGT, Head coach info was revealing. Basically Todd is doing it all and nothing planned to replace TM unless it gets too much for TB, would be my interpretation.

Certainly seems he is in it for the long run!

 
MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

Re: Supporters' Forum Meeting at Farleigh
01 March, 2018 02:31
Great stuff PGT and thanks.



http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

 
Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

Re: Supporters' Forum Meeting at Farleigh
01 March, 2018 09:00
Quote:
shipwrecked
Loads of interesting stuff there PGT, Head coach info was revealing. Basically Todd is doing it all and nothing planned to replace TM unless it gets too much for TB, would be my interpretation.
Certainly seems he is in it for the long run!

very surprised it's Todd's choice to take it all on. I suspect he's waiting for a side kick who suits him.

 
dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

Re: Supporters' Forum Meeting at Farleigh
01 March, 2018 10:14
This seems a positive move by the club to engage with fans. Thanks for the update.

 
Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

Re: Supporters' Forum Meeting at Farleigh
01 March, 2018 11:16
Very informative PGT and sincere thanks for your report. We all hope the club is moving in the right direction, both on and off the field, and such sessions are obviously their attempt to be more honest and open. I still think there are major issues which need addressing but reading that does give one more hope.

I must say I would like to view the set up but all my attempts to do so have come to nothing so reading a report like yours is very revealing and valuable to me.

Very surprised you didn't have a full Spa treatment, possibly you didn't have time or the players had bagged all the sessions! Did you get try on the fluffy slippers and had a sample of the conditioning body oil, Aqua Lambridge, which is nearly as popular as the shampoo Aqua Gem?

Well done and keep up the good work.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2018 11:18 by Bathovalballer.

 
P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

Re: Supporters' Forum Meeting at Farleigh
01 March, 2018 12:07
Some answers to observations/queries above:

* Coach/ player involvement in the meeting- correct B4thB4ck, they were not directly involved as they were busy with training. I did ask Todd some questions while chatting to him and got straight answers.

* 4 Year recruitment plan- no, I did not get a peep at the detail!

* Coaching. The club is always reviewing coaching needs. My interpretation is that does not necessarily mean Todd takes it all on - more BnG's point about fit with the existing coaching group.

* Spa - no I was not cheeky enough to request the full treatment, so will have to leave the details to your imagination for now BoB!

PG



P G Tips



Alex Davies: my adopted Player, 2018-19.

 
Bath Supporter Jack

Re: Supporters' Forum Meeting at Farleigh
01 March, 2018 14:53
Very good by the Club and also by you MR Tips

 
Re: Supporters' Forum Meeting at Farleigh
01 March, 2018 15:07
Thankyou very much for your efforts on this: interesting, informative and I would venture even quite reassuring amidst all the conjecture and speculation.

 
bathmad
bathmad (IP Logged)

Re: Supporters' Forum Meeting at Farleigh
04 March, 2018 22:57
I think the fact that the STH are not the main source of income shows in a sport where money talks. Its interesting that the club has invited stakeholders of social media and a web forum to meet them. Its one way for them to influence the sites.

I hope you gave them the message loud and clear that the natives are getting restless and are in danger of voting with their feet regardless or whether they need us or not!

 
MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

Re: Supporters' Forum Meeting at Farleigh
05 March, 2018 01:27
Believe me they know and the PR people and TM read this site.



http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

 
DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

Re: Supporters' Forum Meeting at Farleigh
05 March, 2018 15:03
I think whilst ticket sales might not be THE major source of revenue, I can't believe they aren't A large source. Note that ticket sales and season ticket sales are not quite the same thing.

Gate receipts should be something like £6 million I'd guess, plus secondary sale. How much do we get from the RFU £2.5 million? BT deal is what, £3.5 million? Not sure about sponsorship, anyone want to dig around our accounts(?), I'd guess a similar order of magnitude. It seems to be a healthy balance, and it will also be rather interwoven, but I don't think we should underestimate our contribution. Apart from anything else, ALL that money comes from us in one way or another.

 
sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

Re: Supporters' Forum Meeting at Farleigh
06 March, 2018 09:39
VG PG thank you.
On the whole, reassured.
Mildly surprised though that TM has the time to read this stuff, god help him.

HOP

 
annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

Re: Supporters' Forum Meeting at Farleigh
06 March, 2018 13:27
Dan- as ever you just won't accept what is well known.(Sm133)

Ticket sales are only a part of the income - can't remember what percentage but is in the public domain if you wish to ascertain the facts.
This has been well known for at least 10 years, frequently mentioned on this board.

BT Sport contract with PRL brings in a great deal, as does sponsorship. That is in part why we have Friday night games "to bring the sport to a wider audience" hoho.

Including Premiership contracts e.g. Turkish Airlines, Aviva etc.

 
BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

Re: Supporters' Forum Meeting at Farleigh
06 March, 2018 17:55
A very quick look only found Tigers and Saints.

Tigers figures from their accounts ('LEICESTER FOOTBALL CLUB PLC'. Company number 03459344) available to all on the web were as follows if my teeny brain has interpreted it correctly on p24, section 5):

1) 'Rugby' income (tickets) = £5.52m
2) Commercial income (sponsorship etc) = £8.8m
3) Premiership Rugby income = £5.4m

Total income: £19.7 million

So, I guess the question is whether the commercial income comes from being on TV or having fans at the ground - but the tickets (of which season tickets made up £3.7m) were about equal with the premiership Rugby income last year. Their average attendance was 21k so quite a bit higher than ours, haven't looked at how their ticket prices compare.

I'm sure someone can find the Bath figures if they tried hard enough!

 
B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

Re: Supporters' Forum Meeting at Farleigh
07 March, 2018 13:24
With this thread titled 'Supporters Forum...' it does make me think that if I was invited to meet staff or players I would feel embarrassed to admit I posted on COML.
Poor results are inevitably going to stir some strong feelings but some of the messages on COML are so negative I would feel tarred with the same brush. I hope you can translate the tone of these comments towards the club as mere frustration PGT. Good luck with that, I don't think Google Translate have an option called 'Cringeworthy to Constructive Criticism' yet so you'll have to wing it. Please tell them most of us are supporters.

 
Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

Re: Supporters' Forum Meeting at Farleigh
19 March, 2018 20:00
Quote:
P G Tips
Club preference is Saturday. Residents close to the Rec are impacted by games and have a strong preference to keep Sunday’s sacred. The Club does not have a preference Friday v Sunday unless it creates a short turn around for rugby. So Club have asked Premiership for 2:1 ratio of Friday/Sunday matches

This is and will continue to be the biggest issue for me and the ST holders I go to the games with. The message last year resulting from the supporter consultation was ‘where Saturday games aren’t possible the preference split between Friday and Sunday was 50:50 with the club suggesting a a slight bias towards Sunday’. I wonder how this has moved to 2:1 Friday to Sunday given the concerns of the Pultney Street aristocracy were known then.

To be honest the benefits of the rec being in the centre of Bath don’t hold for me on a Friday night as it’s all I can do to get to the ground for 7.45. If we’re going to end up playing loads of Friday night games we may as well build a ‘MadStad light’ near the motorway.

Thanks for the write up PGT, very informative.

 
P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

Re: Supporters' Forum Meeting at Farleigh
06 May, 2018 13:12
Latest update is that discussions are under way with potential new members of staff and the Club hopes to make announcements soon.

PG


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?