rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

Quinís sign agreement with NZ Rugby
02 March, 2018 08:28
[www.quins.co.uk]

Quite what this means to player movements is not clear. This was talked about on the Eggchasers podcast the other week, but not specifically about Quins, that NZ were looking for agreeents with European clubs that they could place players with and maintain the NZ standards.

I had wondered if Bath might be a potential partner due to our training facilities and DoR.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2018 08:29 by dcsh.

by
by (IP Logged)

Re: Quinís sign agreement with NZ Rugby
02 March, 2018 08:30
Wouldnít have chosen Quins to be one of those clubs.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

02 March, 2018 08:30
Well it's not coaching standards. Might be an Adidas match up.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

02 March, 2018 09:00
I thought the Premiership was about promoting the English national side.

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

02 March, 2018 09:11
I remember in some article they were tipping Quins to be that side. I don't know why - maybe they see no threat of Quins actually poaching any if their players, whereas we might want to sign them (and a settled squad).

Will be interesting to see what comes of it,and Quins fans should be excited, but these things tend to be too transient and tend to fizzle out.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

02 March, 2018 09:16
Quote:
cb2
I thought the Premiership was about promoting the English national side.

I would have thought Premiership clubs main aim is to win trophies and not promote the national team.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

02 March, 2018 09:17
I can't work out if I'm jealous of this arrangement or not.

From a Bath-perspective, we've had little success with All Blacks, so I don't think we'll miss out on players as a result. I hoped Todd would have brought over some more quality from NZ (Grant-type signings) but we haven't really seen it.

Quins have nurtured some good English talent (Care, Robshaw, Marler, with Walker, Marchant coming through) so I hope that these guys don't have their careers delayed by a couple of years by an AB in their shirt. I assume after the 2019 WC, Quins might make some big signings. Whether that's enough to make them a top 4 side again, who knows.

Fortunately, no ABs playing for them tonight!

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

02 March, 2018 09:17
Quote:
hasta

It is definitely that:

[files.allblacks.com]

New Zealand Rugby Chief Executive Steve Tew said: ď...and when you factor in our shared relationship with adidas, this cooperation agreement is a very natural fit."

The agreement will see NZR and Harlequins cooperate on a number of projects in relation to playing and coaching resources, team training and commercial leverage opportunities.

The salaries would still have to come under the cap, but I guess they will get a few up and coming baby ABs.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

02 March, 2018 09:32
That would mightily p*ss you off if you were an up and coming English player.
Foot potentially shot clean off.

FLAP

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

02 March, 2018 09:35
Quote:
hasta
"With its strong ex-pat community, London is of key strategic importance to New Zealand Rugby, and when you factor in our shared relationship with adidas, this cooperation agreement is a very natural fit." - Steve Tew

I can easily see a situation where NZ retain some control over the sabbatical players
I can easily see any top club being unwilling to be dictated to, or to have the star player for such a short period of time (given £££ expectations)
I can easily see Adidas agreeing to pay for some of this; and insisting that the Adidas All Black players go to an Adidas club, and mention Adidas with reasonable frequency. Especially when the Adidas club is playing against any of the following: Bath (Canterbury); Exeter (Samurai); Gloucester (X-Blades); Leicester (Kukri); LIrish (X-Blades); Newcastle (ISC); Northampton (Macron); Sale (Samurai); Saracens (BLK); Wasps (Under Armour) or Worcester (Under Armour). Or hell, even Bristol's inhouse kit supplier.
It's important to Adidas that people know about Adidas; and their connection to the Adidas All Blacks; and their support of this Adidas sponsored sabbatical to help with their Adidas mortgages and their Adidas mental health.

Adidas.

That London is (IIRC) the city with the highest population of kiwis in the world, is, I'm sure, a bonus.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2018 09:39 by Which Tyler.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

02 March, 2018 09:38
Yuuuup. For the sake of even-handedness, I'm pretty sure Canterbury (Bath/England) hella-funded the Sam Burgess move. Which, we can all admit, was a glorious success for all parties.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

02 March, 2018 09:50
Expect Munster to follow shortly winking smiley

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

02 March, 2018 10:12
Quote:
Which Tyler

That London is (IIRC) the city with the highest population of kiwis in the world, is, I'm sure, a bonus.

Unlikely IMHO WT- that would mean some 18% of London's population would be Kiwi.

London- 8.787M
Auckland (NZ most populous city) 1.534M

More likely the city with the most expat Kiwis?

PG

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

02 March, 2018 10:29
Quote:
P G Tips
Quote:
Which Tyler

Unlikely IMHO WT- that would mean some 18% of London's population would be Kiwi.

London- 8.787M
Auckland (NZ most populous city) 1.534M

More likely the city with the most expat Kiwis?

PG

Brisbane I would think? About 200k (201,206) NZ'ers in Queensland, with Brisbane the highest proportion (there are over 28k Maori). Only 58,368 NZ'ers total in all of the UK in the 2011 census. About 50% are in london, about 27500.

Mike Parton
TOKS (IP Logged)

02 March, 2018 11:17
Any part payment of salary by Adidas (or anyone else) comes under the Salary Cap.

9th one down under "Amounts that are Included"

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

02 March, 2018 11:30
Nick Evans contact possibly significant?

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

02 March, 2018 11:30
This is concerning to me - and I'm glad it isn't us.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe England has more registered rugby union players than the rest of the world put together, a union richer than any other country can possibly dream of and yet one of the biggest clubs in the country agrees a deal to nurture the talent of another country at the expense of young English players - because they share the same kit sponsor.
Shouldn't the emphasis be a trickle down to support the local clubs to bring on talent, rather than a system that boxes out the grassroots in favour of using private schools as talent pools and playing puppet to the interests of big corporate sponsors? The execs will argue that the product is enhanced and that greater international unity is beneficial for all, but I can't help but wonder who is getting the true benefit from this sort of deal. Obviously money makes the world go round etc. but be warned, markets can be corrosive.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

02 March, 2018 11:33
Quote:
TOKS
Any part payment of salary by Adidas (or anyone else) comes under the Salary Cap.

Yeah, but if it's a marquee player it doesn't matter...

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

02 March, 2018 11:42
Quote:
TOKS
Indeed - but it would certainly help balance the books (NB: I've no idea Quins' financial situation).
ETA: Or, as Hasta says - a Marquee.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2018 11:42 by Which Tyler.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

02 March, 2018 12:10
Quote:
dannyf2
This is concerning to me - and I'm glad it isn't us.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe England has more registered rugby union players than the rest of the world put together, a union richer than any other country can possibly dream of and yet one of the biggest clubs in the country agrees a deal to nurture the talent of another country at the expense of young English players - because they share the same kit sponsor.
Shouldn't the emphasis be a trickle down to support the local clubs to bring on talent, rather than a system that boxes out the grassroots in favour of using private schools as talent pools and playing puppet to the interests of big corporate sponsors? The execs will argue that the product is enhanced and that greater international unity is beneficial for all, but I can't help but wonder who is getting the true benefit from this sort of deal. Obviously money makes the world go round etc. but be warned, markets can be corrosive.

+1. This type of arrangement makes you want to watch Championship or local club rugby instead.

quanco
quanco (IP Logged)

02 March, 2018 12:22
In a state of snow induced madness I read this article to be an April fools post... until I checked my calendar, realised we were actually on the 2nd of the month and it definitely isnít April.

Either way, itís surprising and strange to say the least.

Anthony Perenise [Bath Rugby] - Adopted Player 2017/18

travel tonight
02 March, 2018 13:23
No Southwest trains after 8pm, spoiled my day!

raedarius
raedarius (IP Logged)

02 March, 2018 14:57
Quote:
gaz59
Nick Evans contact possibly significant?

More likely Sean Fitzpatrick (and Adidas).

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

02 March, 2018 16:24
Mixed feelings on this. I always feel uncomfortable that the sheer financial heft of UK rugby ends up weakening other nations/unions. We need a strong NZ, and who can blame them for being innovative in the way they ensure they donít just bleed to death. But do NZRFU go out of their way to help other Unions? What iíd most Like to see is initiatives to enable the likes of Samoa, Fiji, Tonga to retain their own players.

QuinAlan
QuinAlan (IP Logged)

02 March, 2018 18:42
Must admit I woke up this morning & saw this as a joke. But then thinking about it, does sound a positive thing but how does this sit with Premier Rugby? Does it give us some advantage? Salary Cap issues? & as said already, a kiwi comes in & takes a starting spot from a young English prospect. What we need as a club is to take some serious Kiwi coaching staff & S&C. Does this mean the ARU following suit? & others? Whichever team ends up with a deal with Argentina might be on a winner.

Substitute
Substitute (IP Logged)

02 March, 2018 20:08
Quote:
Optimist
Mixed feelings on this. I always feel uncomfortable that the sheer financial heft of UK rugby ends up weakening other nations/unions. We need a strong NZ, and who can blame them for being innovative in the way they ensure they donít just bleed to death. But do NZRFU go out of their way to help other Unions? What iíd most Like to see is initiatives to enable the likes of Samoa, Fiji, Tonga to retain their own players.

Yeah, that's the sad irony of it. As they whinge about threats on their junior resources, they were happy to obliterate the junior resources of the pacific isles.

I think World Rugby needs to be bold on this (harsh residency terms, exclude educational periods etc.) but I bet they won't be.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

02 March, 2018 22:17
The flip side i guess is that for the most talented kids on the islands being an AB opens up personal wealth and opportunities that they could only dream of otherwise. Not so different from representing England? I canít think of any other reason why someone like Denny Solomona would play Union for England.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net