rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

Re: Quins match thread
04 March, 2018 16:42
Indefensibly awful. Faletau has turned bad now.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 16:43
The inconsistency this season is just unbelievable!

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 16:43
Quote:
Toast and Marmite
Christ we have been dull

Jesus that's being polite(Sm100)

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 16:44
Couple nore pens to Quins and they have a kick to mmake sure we can get what we deserve - sweet FA.

15 pens to 8

by
by (IP Logged)

We were awful last week as well, just happened to manage to stay in the game through 3 pointers.

MESSAGES->author
Toast and Marmite (IP Logged)

So.... do we continue to give TB the benefit of the doubt...??? I feel dirty even asking the question, but having defended previous regimes perhaps far longer than they deserved, one I feel entitled to ask.

"No sprinkles. For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you."

40 Mile
40 Mile (IP Logged)

Pre-recorded interviewer half time said we are still aiming for top 4...and beyond. That may need a rethink.

I don't mind losing against a side playing better and executing well but even Quins haven't been particularly good. It all very frustrating!

MESSAGES->author

04 March, 2018 16:45
Quote:
40 Mile
Pre-recorded interviewer half time said we are still aiming for top 4...and beyond. That may need a rethink.
I don't mind losing against a side playing better and executing well but even Quins haven't been particularly good. It all very frustrating!

Yep, pretty much the fault has been in our execution, our attack and, frankly, bone-headed stupidity at times.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 16:46
Quins are useless. We're so, so slow in thought and deed.

recman
recman (IP Logged)

Is everyone looking forward to The Clash? Apparently it was great last year, with sunshine and everything.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

Mercer is bout the only to have any credit

Smith intercept and chased down by ZM and caught.

MESSAGES->author

04 March, 2018 16:48
Mercer has risen above the dross and caps it with a lung bursting effort...he deserves better than what many of his team mates have delivered.

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 16:48
We can't get anything out of this so why not end the misery?

bathmad
bathmad (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 16:49
Absolute disappointment at watching this.

Our front row have been shocking with penalty after penalty.

Thomas and Lahiff are brain dead.

Our whole team is inept in every department. Its not good enough and I would like to see Toby Booth clear his locker today.

by
by (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 16:49
Another terrible performance from us, thank god we had a few results thanks to Roko in the first half of the season to paper over the cracks.

40 Mile
40 Mile (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 16:50
Quote:
recman
Is everyone looking forward to The Clash? Apparently it was great last year, with sunshine and everything.

It was great and it was sunny.

Thankfully I am touring with my sons U13s squad and, happily, won't be anywhere near Twickenham!

DorsetBoy
Dorset Boy (IP Logged)

Questions have to be asked of the coaching.

We spent a lot of time in their 22 in the last 15 minutes but had no clue how to score really.

MESSAGES->author

Quote:
bathmad
Absolute disappointment at watching this.
Our front row have been shocking with penalty after penalty.

Thomas and Lahiff are brain dead.

Our whole team is inept in every department. Its not good enough and I would like to see Toby Booth clear his locker today.

Just Toby Booth? At what point do we start asking Todd some serious questions?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

No scrum, no maul, barely competent lineout.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 16:51
Quote:
recman

No thanks, not for me (Sm128)

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 16:52
Wasnít this supposed to be one of our easier remaining games? Oh dear that was terrible and Quins were poor - what will Exe and Sarries do to us? I need a drink.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 16:53
That was horrible. We looked like a bottom third team. But iím Shocked at how slow Marcus Smith is. Zach - take a bow - unbelievable for a back rower after 80 minutes.

supermarinematt
supermarinematt (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 16:54
Got what we deservered. Too many players who are not good enough and seemingly poorly coached. If TB had any thoughts of upping and leaving in the summer, then i feel this could have just tipped the scales.

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

Another example of why JP Doyle is my least favourite ref. He killed that game. Don't get me wrong we didn't deserve to win it but his style of reffing is not for me at all.

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

The annoying bit is when he warns someone that they will get penalised and penalises them at the next move whether they infringe or not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 16:58 by TG Kesmo.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 16:55
Dunno how we think playing well for 25/80 mins is going to win us a game. How weíre still in the hunt of top 4 I donít know as we donít deserve to be anywhere near.

How the hell a 10 whoíd been on the pitch for 5 mins can be outrun by a 6/8 whoíd been on for 79 I donít know. Well done Zach.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 16:58
Once again the same faces working their socks off. Mercer and Stoke were great.

TF off colour, KF so damned slow, and the indiscipline in the forwards is just massively frustrating.

Forget top 4, we will have to work hard to get top 6.

Boothís face at the end said it all.

by
by (IP Logged)

Booth is in the firing line, a lot of our problems stem from our front 5 not performing, things like clearing out rucks, defending around the ruck, set piece, none of which is good enough for our league position.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

Quote:
Dorset Boy
We can't get anything out of this so why not end the misery?

Now don't go and do anything silly, worse things happen at sea my old mum used to say (Sm100)

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 17:05
Unfortunately a few of the backline aren't firing lately. Nothing against the players but form isn't consistent and we should react to that.

Drop Khan to the bench, he needs a reset and might be what we need if we need to close a game out.
Drop Tapuai: we looked better when he went off today, doesn't distribute like he did last season.
Drop Brew as he looks far from his form against Toulon and needs a rest perhaps.

9. Cook
10. Burns (assuming he's fit)
11. C Vuna
12. J Wilson
13. Hurrell
14. Banners
15. Homer

Wilson a bit of a stop-gap. Anyone who could fit in better? Clark nearly fit? Can't remember.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 17:07
We canít make any stupid excuses about missing players either. It was the forwardsí indiscipline that lost that game & they were all first choice. However the error count applied throughout the team. It all smacks of lack of preparedness & poor professional standards, not player quality. Again & again I find myself saying itís not losing games that grates itís the way we throw games away. The buck will have to stop with the DOR at some stage.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 17:11
Criticism of JP is unwarranted. He is a great ref. Shame our guys never listen or heed his instructions.

We badly missed JJ in the midfield, Tapuai and Hurrell couldnít make it work.

We are now 7th. Disappointing!

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 17:13
We had more than enough visits to the red zone to have won that. Our ability to butcher those visits through poorly judged passes, dull pick and drives and a lack of authority at half back was why we lost.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 17:15
Nothing to be embarrassed about, seems a lot of overreaction in here.
Quins were the better side. Couldn't make my mind up if they had better players of were better coached. Maybe a combination of both. They were certainly better at things like passing and catching which has turned out to be a bit of a nemesis for Bath.
It's odd, they keep the ball in our 22,the pressure counts.
We keep the ball in theirs and we crack first.
Ah well, just glad we kept the deficit to under 20 points. Wish we could have scored in the last 75 minutes but it wasn't to be.
Quins are recruiting well and will be a better team next year.
Nothing to be disappointed about. Was the right result on form and on the days performance.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 17:15
Don't think Tapui will get in the Quins team next year.

Hmm...

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 17:18
Quote:
Kidney Stone
Criticism of JP is unwarranted. He is a great ref. Shame our guys never listen or heed his instructions.
We badly missed JJ in the midfield, Tapuai and Hurrell couldnít make it work.

We are now 7th. Disappointing!

Agree, unfortunately I think 7th is where we will end up, a bit more than disappointed I am.

recman
recman (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 17:23
Quote:
Danchinho
Quins were the better side. Couldn't make my mind up if they had better players of were better coached. Maybe a combination of both. They were certainly better at things like passing and catching which has turned out to be a bit of a nemesis for Bath.
Ah well, just glad we kept the deficit to under 20 points. Wish we could have scored in the last 75 minutes but it wasn't to be.
Nothing to be disappointed about. Was the right result on form and on the days performance.

You sound a bit like the Bristol fella, BathPatriot.

But I thought Quins were supposed to be in total shambolic disarray, with claims of players not trying, talk of fan boycotts, "Kingston out", etc. A bit like Northampton.

Is that not the case? Are they a decent side in reality?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 17:36
How can you coach to not engage in the scrum early? I mean they have practiced maybe 1000 times. That is just down to the players full stop Iím afraid.

ilovebathtime
ilovebathtime (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 18:16
I can't help thinking that we need to start again. We have made no progress whatsoever under Blackadder, In truth I think we have gone backwards,and we are in a big battle for top 6 now. Of the games left it is only the London Irish game I can really see us getting a win. If we don't make it into the top 6 I struggle to see how we can not make a change. The difficulty is, who could come in and make a difference and how long will it take.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 18:18
Well Bruce canít be a happy man tonight, thatís for sure (and rightly so).

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 18:21
Quote:
recman
Quote:
Danchinho

You sound a bit like the Bristol fella, BathPatriot.

But I thought Quins were supposed to be in total shambolic disarray, with claims of players not trying, talk of fan boycotts, "Kingston out", etc. A bit like Northampton.

Is that not the case? Are they a decent side in reality?

Well, the Prem doesn't work on amalgated scores, with previous results giving a weighting on today's. Just today's points scored count for today's result.
Also, I'm not sure Quins are a decent side in general but they were definitely better than Bath. Not a big gulf but enough to win the scores to spare.
After 5 minutes we never scored again.
So, they were clearly better. Credit to them. No complaints and no surprises.

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 18:21
Anyone that read my post about the AP standard. This.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 18:26
Completely unimaginative in attack. We had enough possession in the red zone to have got a LBP at least, but we didn't deserve it

Stuart

Former ed.

bathwickboy
bathwickboy (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 18:33
And perhaps we saw a glimpse of why Matt Banahan's contract has not been renewed. No pace, poor tackling and ridiculous no look out of the backdoor passes. Matt has been a great servant to the club and nothing will change that but perhaps age has caught up with him (possibly the same with Kahn).

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 18:37
He was the only player we had who could find the try line tbf.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 18:40
Quote:
bathwickboy
And perhaps we saw a glimpse of why Matt Banahan's contract has not been renewed. No pace, poor tackling and ridiculous no look out of the backdoor passes. Matt has been a great servant to the club and nothing will change that but perhaps age has caught up with him (possibly the same with Kahn).

I think thatís a bit harsh, he had nothing to work with and there were lots of similarly ineffective players today. Thomas, Batty, Taps etc had one to forget for sure. Besides which he didnít have blistering pace when he was 21 let alone 31.

bathwickboy
bathwickboy (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 18:41
Quote:
Danchinho
He was the only player we had who could find the try line tbf.

And tbf he only had to run in a straight line for about 5-10 metres and not beat an opposition player. I think at his age even I could have managed that! (but nothing else)
I agree that not a lot of ball came his way but he was unable to create anything at all and you surely dont believe that he has the pace to run in tries from anything above a few metres. I could list others who also had a terrible day at the office but Matt will never regain his pace and has begun to make too many careless errors imho.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2018 18:46 by bathwickboy.

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 18:46
Banners ball retention has always been his weak spot.

Stuart

Former ed.

wlatavg006
wlatavg006 (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 18:48
dumb penalties time after time, Thomas, Batty, Lahif.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 19:05
Todd:

Weíre starting to question whether we can learn and whether the players are actually listening. Weíre a hard-working team. I canít fault the effort, but weíre just allowing teams into the game and thatís often the difference. You (the coaches) can say it as much as you like, but the players have got to listen and transfer that into actions. Something within us, internally, has got to fundamentally change.

More on indiscpline...

It was like deja vu. In the first half, defensively I thought we were outstanding and didnít really get a lot of reward for the hard work we put in. Then, discipline killed us again. We defended really well and didnít need to give those cheap, easy outs away. Then we compounded our errors. It was a very disappointing and frustrating day for the lads.

On the lack of tries and points despite plenty of territory and possession, he said...

We just didnít play within our structure. At times we did and we looked really good. At times we looked like we were playing off the cuff and threw those offloads and they didnít stick today. We looked like we were dithering a little bit. We had really good overlaps and opportunities to shift the ball early and didnít take those opportunities.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 19:18
Quote:
ilovebathtime
I can't help thinking that we need to start again. We have made no progress whatsoever under Blackadder, In truth I think we have gone backwards,and we are in a big battle for top 6 now. Of the games left it is only the London Irish game I can really see us getting a win. If we don't make it into the top 6 I struggle to see how we can not make a change. The difficulty is, who could come in and make a difference and how long will it take.

I've been saying this for twelve months, and we've even gone backwards this year.

It winds me up when people call us inconsistent. We're not inconsistent, we're just poor.

Time for a change and I don't often call for coaches' (plural) heads. Their roles seem all over the place and convoluted. Time to start from scratch.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 19:18
Many times Iíve heard Todd say that what they do in training is not replicated on the pitch. Itís been the case all season so needs to be addressed. Maybe the training/drills are too simple or too complex for a live game? Maybe the training wonít ever match what the opposition bring to a game? Maybe having different captains each match doesnít help, or we have an overall lack of on-field leadership? Maybe the players donít buy in to the game plan?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 19:20
The question of course is, were a change to be made, who is available and better?

ilovebathtime

04 March, 2018 19:23
Quote:
BathMatt53
Todd:

We just didnít play within our structure. At times we did and we looked really good. At times we looked like we were playing off the cuff and threw those offloads and they didnít stick today.

This is the bit that concerns me. I have no idea of what our structure is supposed to be. Whatever it is I'm not sure it is effective, and it doesn't strike me that the players particularly believe in it. I think the best teams are allowed to express themselves a bit. I wonder if the reason Burns has struggled this season is because he is a player who plays on instinct who is being shackled. I can think the only reason Kahn is ahead of Cook is because the structure is to kick away posession and slow down the play so that we play to a pre conceived plan, that certainly is what he is doing and every week he gets picked.

ilovebathtime

04 March, 2018 19:23
Quote:
BathMatt53
Todd:

We just didnít play within our structure. At times we did and we looked really good. At times we looked like we were playing off the cuff and threw those offloads and they didnít stick today.

This is the bit that concerns me. I have no idea of what our structure is supposed to be. Whatever it is I'm not sure it is effective, and it doesn't strike me that the players particularly believe in it. I think the best teams are allowed to express themselves a bit. I wonder if the reason Burns has struggled this season is because he is a player who plays on instinct who is being shackled. I can think the only reason Kahn is ahead of Cook is because the structure is to kick away posession and slow down the play so that we play to a pre conceived plan, that certainly is what he is doing and every week he gets picked.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 19:37
I canít disagree. Just think of the number of games which we have not just lost but where we have nowhere near reached an acceptable standard. I can bring to mind Saints away, Falcons at home, Exeter away, Sale away, Wasps at home, Scarlets at home, Newcastle away, Quins away. We didnít just lose those matches. We were either taken apart comprehensively or lost because of indiscipline & really poor execution. Of course we had some good wins along the way but we have totally lacked consistency & have never learnt how to address things.

Westwardbound
Westwardbound (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 19:39
"Weíre starting to question whether we can learn and whether the players are actually listening."

If I was Bruce then hearing Todd say this in public would really worry me tonight.

rodoftherec
rodoftherec (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 19:54
Do not often post these days but watched the game on TV today and have seen most games live this season. Let us not mess about - we are basically poor. We have some top players ( who mostly under perform ) we have a lot of average players ( who perform averagely ) and we have a lot of poorer players who are sometimes good but are mostly bad. We recruited Todd B who has never achieved anything much in his career and then we are surprised when guess what he achieves nothing much at Bath.
Our recruitment has been a mess - just individuals not a team building and that shows. We can blame injuries, refs, international calls et al but in truth a lot is wrong at our club and much of it is down to our owner our DoR and our " soft " approach to recruitment and training based at the holiday camp known as Farleigh.
We will not get relegated and we might even win the nothing AW cup but other than that we are going nowhere and there is little sign of likely improvement.
Blame who you feel fit but do not blame the supporters - they will probably stick around whatever just like I have for over 50 years which might be part of the problem I guess - who needs success when you can fill the ground whatever tripe you are serving up ?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 20:01
Quote:
Rawce
Many times Iíve heard Todd say that what they do in training is not replicated on the pitch. Itís been the case all season so needs to be addressed. Maybe the training/drills are too simple or too complex for a live game? Maybe the training wonít ever match what the opposition bring to a game? Maybe having different captains each match doesnít help, or we have an overall lack of on-field leadership? Maybe the players donít buy in to the game plan?

Very good point, but perhaps the problem is there is no-one to interpret the training. By that I mean I was always a bit confused by stories that George Ford had his own little training sessions on the pitch. At least that meant that there was someone on the pitch that got the game plan.

If we had someone on the pitch that was intelligent, a leader and could implement Todds plan we would at least have a chance. BoB won't like this but I wonder if that is Ewells?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 20:05
If itís so complicated a plan that they still canít work it out after 18 months maybe we need a new (simpler) plan.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 20:48
Is it complicated Matt? You would think bits of it would stick, I can't help thinking this is like Eddies comments about England not playing in the way he wants.

Both SH coaches, coincidence?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 21:09
Todd seems to think they arenít Ďgetting ití so it must be.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 21:11
I can't work out why the plan seemed to work for the first 20 minutes.

by
by (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 21:15
On field leadership is a massive issue, obviously exacerbated by the number of missing senior players but messages should still be getting onto the pitch and acted upon.

by
by (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 21:18
Quote:
BathMatt53
Todd seems to think they arenít Ďgetting ití so it must be.

I don't think its a case of not 'getting it', its how the players are reacting under pressure, his example of throwing offloads that didn't stick is another case of trying to force things.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 21:21
I read this as meaning that he said stuff and they either didnít listen or didnít understand what he was saying:

Weíre starting to question whether we can learn and whether the players are actually listening....You (the coaches) can say it as much as you like, but the players have got to listen and transfer that into actions. Something within us, internally, has got to fundamentally change.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 21:22
Quote:
by
On field leadership is a massive issue, obviously exacerbated by the number of missing senior players but messages should still be getting onto the pitch and acted upon.

Agree, but then someone respected and with authority has to act, who is that person in our jumbled up side?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 21:29
Stooke? He always seems to be talking and doesnít miss many games.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 21:54
Perhaps Matt, but real leaders don't wait to be given the label, thats why I wondered about Ewells, but perhaps he's too polite?

You would have thought Kahn, thats what I expect a 9 to do I'm sort of hoping it might be Chudley in the future.

Clear that its not in the character of Faletau or Charteris.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 21:58
How many captains have we had this season/ Is that part of the problem?

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 22:03
Well I wanted to watch a decent game of rugby, and was successful! Exeter showing Sarries how is done down the M5. Least said soonest mended.

Bath = its like watching a car crash in slow motion.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

Bath Supporter Jack

04 March, 2018 22:11
I am afraid that this result, and the manner of it has made me very cross.

I think we saw today why my really favourite player Banners was not offered a 3 year contract.

It is hard to see why Banners got a contract offer from Gloucester.......and I absolutely think the Club were correct in restricting the ofer

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 22:13
So Banners lost it all on his own?

Didn't he score a try?

bathmad
bathmad (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 22:52
Its high time we had a DoR with a very clear vision of the style of play he wants who is prepared to be ruthless to get the right players with the winning mentality.

We have no idea of the game plan or style of rugby that we are trying to aspire to. Our recruitment has been just unacceptable and if we are spending the cap as the club says then we are not getting value for it.

Todays issues as I see them

1. Make shift fly half passes 20 yards backwards to first receiver who takes contact and goes nowhere. Wilson doing his best, Tapuai not anywhere near good enough.
2. Weak front row, weak props - been an issue for years but we still use the same faces
3. Serious discipline issues for Thomas, Lahiff and Batty - back to school please for you guys. Thomas wont play for England as he cant scrummage and cant control himself.
4. Falling off tackles - why? Brew guilty of this recently as well as others

There is no doubt Dave Attwood would have helped today. It is simply bad management not to have him here. If its down to the cap then its bad management, if we don't need him then its bad management because we do.

The STH have been sold out by the club and Bruce Craig yet again as we move a home game to London - I actually hope we get what we deserve and it sparks a change.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

04 March, 2018 23:44
Very strong words from Todd there.
Do you change all those who are meant to be listening or do you change the one who's talking?

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 01:04
Do not blame the coaches. For God's sake it is those on the field who can and should influence things. So the coaches are spending the pre match time showing our show ponies how to drop simple passes, not clear out rucks, drop lineout balls, have mauls going backwards, missing tackles, not supporting runners, bind in the front row illlegally, set a scrum, don't bother to chase a kick; need I go on? We have seen this dross all season and it just does not get better. Why? Because the so called players have not the wit or gumption and determination to turn it around. Any self respecting well paid professional if they truly cared would be doing their utmost to turn things around, and certainly by now. Our lot cannot be bothered to learn or listen and quite simply are not up to the physicality and fight of the top flight of the Prem league.

I don't care who they are, underperformers have to go and we need to rebuild a side who take pride in playing the game and supporting each other. All the lip service they spout is worth diddly squat!

Yes I would agree we lack on-field authoritive leadership and have done for many a season. If players are not performing or sticking to the game plan, where are they being balled out? Also, our captains and other players always seem to get on the wrong side of the referees and because we are known to give penalties away like confetti, will always ping us in 50/50 situations because they believe we infringe all the time.

Someone inferred Ewels is the leader we need. Why and what single thing did he do that turned us around today? He didn't do anything ( as usual) and never has in my line of vision!

Our need for physically strong props and tough, edgy second rows showed again today. Lightweights who may be able to run a bit are not going to give you a sufficient platform to win decent ball and carryout the hard graft the Prem demands. Stooke tried his best as always today but was fighting a losing battle. Batty and Thomas on that showing needs to think long and hard about playing top class rugby.

Bath Rugby are extremely lucky to have such a band of die hard supporters, but many of whom are having their long term loyalty severely tested by what is happening to our once proud club. Buck up Bath Rugby and lets start to put things right. I must say, although it grieves me to hear him say it, Todd is beginning to say it as it is and speak plainly, thank God! Now for action and hopefully a positive player reaction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2018 01:15 by Bathovalballer.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 02:01
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Do not blame the coaches. For God's sake it is those on the field who can and should influence things. So the coaches are spending the pre match time showing our show ponies how to drop simple passes, not clear out rucks, drop lineout balls, have mauls going backwards, missing tackles, not supporting runners, bind in the front row illlegally, set a scrum, don't bother to chase a kick; need I go on?

So, three coaches in charge of proceedings shouldn't shoulder any blame in your world, but 30-40 players are ALL in the wrong. Ridiculous.

Absolutely blame the coaches.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 04:59
Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
I think we saw today why my really favourite player Banners was not offered a 3 year contract.

It is hard to see why Banners got a contract offer from Gloucester.......and I absolutely think the Club were correct in restricting the ofer

I think this is grossly unfair. He is being judged on one admittedly poor performance whilst so many excellent performances this season are ignored.

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 08:42
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Do not blame the coaches. For God's sake it is those on the field who can and should influence things. So the coaches are spending the pre match time showing our show ponies how to drop simple passes, not clear out rucks, drop lineout balls, have mauls going backwards, missing tackles, not supporting runners, bind in the front row illlegally, set a scrum, don't bother to chase a kick; need I go on? We have seen this dross all season and it just does not get better. Why? Because the so called players have not the wit or gumption and determination to turn it around. Any self respecting well paid professional if they truly cared would be doing their utmost to turn things around, and certainly by now. Our lot cannot be bothered to learn or listen and quite simply are not up to the physicality and fight of the top flight of the Prem league...............

This would be fine if we hadn't been doing all these things well for the first 20 minutes, more turnovers to Bath than I've seen for a long time.
We lack a cutting edge - an ability to score - then the performance just drops off.

We now know more about Wilson, outstanding line kicking, steady under pressure, but yet to show how to get our backs moving.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 08:53
To be fair Wilson is one of those who can hold his head high, he is giving it everything in D and A. However, as he has said himself he has played 10 and is happy to play wherever but he is pretty rusty and slow service isnít helping him. Agreed that is some of the best line kicking I have seen from a Bath 10 since GF left.

Rich.
Rich. (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 09:06
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack

I think this is grossly unfair. He is being judged on one admittedly poor performance whilst so many excellent performances this season are ignored.

This! Bizarre comments about Matt. Totally bizarre

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 09:07
I'm not criticising Wilson - he's all we've got!

His line kicking kicking kept us in the game, but the threes never got going.

OK Tapui had an off day, Hurrell is more hammer than sparkler and Vuna is still rusty.

ShortyinBurnham
ShortyinBurnham (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 09:07
We need to speed up the ball from the breakdown. When Cook came on we suddenly started moving forwards, and got over the line twice despite neither try being given.

Without decent quick ball our backs can do nothing as they are getting the ball and a tackler at the same time.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 09:22
Quote:
Boldangrey
I'm not criticising Wilson - he's all we've got!
His line kicking kicking kept us in the game, but the threes never got going.

OK Tapui had an off day, Hurrell is more hammer than sparkler and Vuna is still rusty.

No, I felt the need to big him up though!

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 09:38
From my perspective I am still struggling to understand how we lost that game. We had a decent pack of forwards with plenty of experience and enough nous to play a fwd dominated game. I still don't know why we went with Wilson at 10, as good as he was against Sale, if Lewis was fit. We were lucky he did a job against Sale but Wilson is not a 10.
Their did seem to be some collective stupidity out there, and as others have said it seems as if the players do not have faith in the coaches.
"Something is rotten in the state of Bath Rugby" (with apologies to the Bard)

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 09:49
Tapuai seems to be played as a hard-running, direct 12. This doesn't seem like the ideal style for him. Not that he's playing particularly well in other ways.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 09:51
Quote:
ShortyinBurnham
We need to speed up the ball from the breakdown. When Cook came on we suddenly started moving forwards, and got over the line twice despite neither try being given.
Without decent quick ball our backs can do nothing as they are getting the ball and a tackler at the same time.

Kahn has been playing in slow motion since November, really bizarre. He can put pace on the ball every so often which makes the times when he slows things down to a crawl even weirder. Replacement 9s usually tend to look good off the bench but Cook absolutely has to start.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 10:10
Kahn must be following orders.

ligger
ligger (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 10:25
I though the game plan was pass it a couple of time and if it hasn't been dropped by then kick it back to the opposition. But don't chase the kick. We seemed to executing that well.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 10:30
Well even if he is following orders, he and the so called on field captain can sutrely see its not working and change things. That is where the players are responsible for their on field actions or lack of them.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 11:43
How old is Khan now?

ilovebathtime

05 March, 2018 12:45
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Well even if he is following orders, he and the so called on field captain can sutrely see its not working and change things. That is where the players are responsible for their on field actions or lack of them.

And get dropped for the next game? If you go out and do the exact opposite of what you are told to do then chances are the coach won't pick you and will eventually ship you out.If Blackadder was asking Kahn to play to a fast tempo and he wasn't doing that then Cook would be starting every week. The fact he isn't tells it's own story

Hersheyboy
Bath Blues (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 12:58
I'm done with parting with my hard earned money watching Bath turn up and go through the motions, we are poor and simple not worth watching.

For the rest of the season I will go and watch the Chiefs play down in Exeter to get my fix of Premiership action.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 13:01
Why not just come to Bath and support the other team?

Hersheyboy
Bath Blues (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 13:09
My Son prefers watching the Chiefs, can't blame him!

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 13:12
Nothing stands out from the past two seasons, nothing to get you on the edge of your seat. It's just been poor and pretty unwatachable plodding rugby.

Maybe the Roko magic to beat Sarries, but otherwise I'm struggling to think of much else truly memorable.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 13:15
Quote:
DanWiley
Why not just come to Bath and support the other team?

I cant afford to get all the scarves

by
by (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 13:47
Another look at Mercer tackling Marcus Smith in that epic chase at the end of the game.

[twitter.com]

Standout performer.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 13:53
Quote:
Bath Blues
I'm done with parting with my hard earned money watching Bath turn up and go through the motions, we are poor and simple not worth watching.
For the rest of the season I will go and watch the Chiefs play down in Exeter to get my fix of Premiership action.

This is a joke right ? Otherwise I can't believe anyone would care enough to post on this site and then choose to watch another side because "we're a bit **** at the moment"

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 13:57
i'm absolutely staggered at Smith's lack of pace and stamina. He'd only been on for about 20 minutes against Zach's 80; and Zach gave him at least 10 metres and possibly even from a standing start.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net