rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

This Friday v Saints
05 March, 2018 09:42
Two sides desperately out of form, two sets of fans massively p*ssed off with their respective seasons, an all pay game, I wonder what the attendance will be! I bet BT wished they hadn't bothered to screen this one.
Contrast this with the other semi, two sides with loads of confidence!

Pie-Half
Pie-Half (IP Logged)

Re: This Friday v Saints
05 March, 2018 09:44
IF, and its a big if, we win this cup, does it guarentee our top tier euro rugby?

Andy Goode's body double.

Bring back rucking and speed up the game. Simple, for rucks sake.

A.B.L.

Levi Douglas - Adopted player 2017/18
Tom Homer - Adopted player 2016/17

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 09:48
Quote:
nick holder
Two sides desperately out of form, two sets of fans massively p*ssed off with their respective seasons, an all pay game, I wonder what the attendance will be! I bet BT wished they hadn't bothered to screen this one.
Contrast this with the other semi, two sides with loads of confidence!

Attendance will be OK I think but that may be a result of the cheap tickets and an opportunity for some potential good news out of the season (for both teams).

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 09:53
Unlike other clubs our attendance doesn't seem to suffer too much, yet.

Even if we win on Friday we won't beat Exeter the following week. Probably the worst team you could hope to play in an Anglo Welsh final. And yes I know Tigers beat them last year, which makes them even more dangerous this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2018 10:14 by ballsout.

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 10:08
I hope we don't get through to the final, as whoever we play will beat us and the last thing we need right now is a another morale sapping defeat. The focus had to be the next prem game v Exeter and Todd et al could do with a good couple of weeks working with this shower in the hope of instilling some pride into them

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 10:13
Must be honest I can't wait for this season to be over and really couldn't care less what happens on Friday. I've got tickets but not sure if I'll bother to turn up to watch more keystone cop rugby from Bath.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 10:38
I know about 20 ST holders who have not bothered to get tickets for this week as they are so disillusioned?

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 10:41
Just think if we get to the final , we will probably have to play Exeter in consecutive games! That will be a joy. First they will soften us up with their squad players and then give us a walloping with their full first team 2 weeks later.

They will no doubt learn from game one will we?

I saw their Sarries game on tv and was amazed they gave a Prem start to Joe Simmonds(20) who played like a veteran and out played Lowsoski and won MofTM. We cannot do it with players of much greater experience!

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 10:50
The attitude here makes no sense.

"the last thing we need right now is a another morale sapping defeat."

So the solution to a moral sapping defeat is to be defeated in a less prestigious game against a (much) weaker side.

"The focus had to be the next prem game v Exeter"

Why? We're not a top 4 side, let alone a top 4 side that actually might win, so what does the AP matter this season? Let me guess... because of the HEC, which we're miles away from good enough for so why ask for:

"another morale sapping defeat."

Further, let me guess

"Because we won't sign any superstars if we're not in the HEC."

Good. We need to build a solid squad before we look to players that are only interested in playing for clubs who are going to struggled in the HEC.

It's likely not to be the focus of whoever we play in the final, we can beat anyone on our days. We're not going to win anything else. Let's go and win something and build that attitude from there rather than saying we can go from where we are to HEC winners in a season.

"does it guarentee our top tier euro rugby?"

To be honest, winning this then the mickey mouse european cup would be a good progression. Do that and then I could see us having a squad with the belief to go on and win the the AP and then, maybe, the HEC. We get into the HEC this next season we're just going to repeat this season. Struggle to get out of our group then, if we do, get hammered in the 1/4 or semi. Even if you do want those superstars, that's not going to appeal to them (and its pretty clear it's likely to happen).

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 10:57
Winning the meaningless AWC will just paper over the cracks and allow those in charge to kid themselves that we are moving in the right direction when we're not. The playing side of the club is rudderless and drifting towards mediocrity.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 11:01
Quote:
DanWiley
The attitude here makes no sense.
"the last thing we need right now is a another morale sapping defeat."

So the solution to a moral sapping defeat is to be defeated in a less prestigious game against a (much) weaker side.

"The focus had to be the next prem game v Exeter"

Why? We're not a top 4 side, let alone a top 4 side that actually might win, so what does the AP matter this season? Let me guess... because of the HEC, which we're miles away from good enough for so why ask for:

"another morale sapping defeat."

Further, let me guess

"Because we won't sign any superstars if we're not in the HEC."

Good. We need to build a solid squad before we look to players that are only interested in playing for clubs who are going to struggled in the HEC.

It's likely not to be the focus of whoever we play in the final, we can beat anyone on our days. We're not going to win anything else. Let's go and win something and build that attitude from there rather than saying we can go from where we are to HEC winners in a season.

"does it guarentee our top tier euro rugby?"

To be honest, winning this then the mickey mouse european cup would be a good progression. Do that and then I could see us having a squad with the belief to go on and win the the AP and then, maybe, the HEC. We get into the HEC this next season we're just going to repeat this season. Struggle to get out of our group then, if we do, get hammered in the 1/4 or semi. Even if you do want those superstars, that's not going to appeal to them (and its pretty clear it's likely to happen).

Agree completely with that

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2018 11:01 by ballsout.

MESSAGES->author
Robbinho (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 11:01
Our current form seems to oscillate between unconvincing victory and then convincing loss, so that suggests we'll win the semi and be bang on course for being dreadful in the final.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 11:16
"Winning the meaningless AWC will just paper over the cracks"

I don't think anyone would see it as any more than what it is: winning the easiest competition there is to win. But at least it would be a sign that we can set a goal and achieve it. It would require the players saying for two games (as it happens) "we're going to come off that field in 1st place". That in itself would be great thing. It would be nothing more than a step in the right direction (I'd say follow it up with a second step in the right direction rather than losing our way in a HEc we're never going to win). But it would be a step in the right direction.

"The playing side of the club is rudderless and drifting towards mediocrity."

So the solution is to go hell for leather in competitions we're not capable of winning. Presumably, we follow that up with shocking revelation that we couldn't make that step up and say "we're in transition" before running at that same step AGAIN. Are we really that dim? What I am saying IS that leadership. Set some achievable goals, nail them, then build.

You don't go from where we are to champions overnight, you need to build it. Why not pick up winning attitude at the same time (probably a requisite anyway)?

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 12:34
Quote:
Pie-Half
IF, and its a big if, we win this cup, does it guarentee our top tier euro rugby?

No.

recman
recman (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 13:01
Quote:
Robbinho
Our current form seems to oscillate between unconvincing victory and then convincing loss, so that suggests we'll win the semi and be bang on course for being dreadful in the final.

Our ability to somehow win at home is our saving grace this season. Sale must be livid at what happened last week. We'll probably find a way to win on Friday purely because we have home advantage against a team in the same dire straits as us. I would have expected us to lose comfortably at Franklins Gardens.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 13:06
I agree with both Dan and Outside Bath

1. Should Bath try to win - Yes
2. Can I be ar$ed to go - No

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 13:15
Quote:
recman
Quote:
Robbinho

Our ability to somehow win at home is our saving grace this season. Sale must be livid at what happened last week. We'll probably find a way to win on Friday purely because we have home advantage against a team in the same dire straits as us. I would have expected us to lose comfortably at Franklins Gardens.

Before having 50 points put on us in the final against a quality side. Much like the losing margins of our A League team this year. Another failing of the club.

Tomato Soup
Tomato Soup (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 13:25
I have had a season ticket since 2006 and watched since 1983. At one time it was inconceivable that I wouldn't go to this game.

I'm not going due to the scheduling and the nature of the makeshift line up.

I am not renewing as things stand even though I know that I will lose my very good seats (I have 2).

It probably means that I won't watch Bath at the rec again until the new stadium is built if ever.

That's the impact of the TV scheduling and almost 20 years of continuously rebuilding the team.

I am very sad about it but the alternative is being taken for a mug for another 20 years.

Does the club not realise what it is doing to its loyal customers.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 14:17
Quote:
Tomato Soup
I have had a season ticket since 2006 and watched since 1983. At one time it was inconceivable that I wouldn't go to this game.
I'm not going due to the scheduling and the nature of the makeshift line up.

I am not renewing as things stand even though I know that I will lose my very good seats (I have 2).

It probably means that I won't watch Bath at the rec again until the new stadium is built if ever.

That's the impact of the TV scheduling and almost 20 years of continuously rebuilding the team.

I am very sad about it but the alternative is being taken for a mug for another 20 years.

Are you predominantly not renewing because (i) all the rescheduled games really hack you off and you feel that the club have forgotten that the community and the supporters within it should be more important than TV revenue or (ii) because we're terrible at the moment and have been to varying degrees for a while or (iii) another reason.

If it's because of point (i) I completely understand, point (ii) I completely fail to understand, point (iii) could you explain further ?

westondave
WestonDave (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 16:14
I'm not going, quite simply because I don't enjoy watching us play the way we are clearly being coached to play. I can deal with us not being that good but trying to play good rugby, I can deal with to a lesser extent us playing winning grind it out rugby as we did under John Connolly. At the moment our strategy seems to involve spending us much time as possible in our own 22, taking as much time as possible to get the ball out of every ruck, and wasting whatever possession we get by either kicking it away (box kicks etc) or just charging at the nearest opponent without any attempt to offload. I'm afraid I'm not paying extra over my ST to watch more of that especially on a Friday night.

As an aside I was listening in the car on the way to a game recently as Radio Bristol were airing an interview with Max Green, the new scrum half who joined from Leeds, who was describing how he was being coached to box kick a lot more than he was used to. If we wonder why Kahn and Cook are doing so many box kicks, that might hint at an answer. The problem is Kahn doesn't find it natural to do so he ends up doing his slow routine of adjusting the ball, looking up to see where to kick it, checking the ball is still there, checking no-one down field has moved before picking it up and kicking it.

I'm not qualified to know whether our problems are Todd's strategy not working because of us having an unbalanced squad and too many injuries, or whether he's having to use that strategy because with the squad we've got we can't play any other way. Either way its horrible to watch.

by
by (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 16:31
If we followed up a kick with good defence, then we'd be getting the ball back shortly after 20-30 meters up the pitch, the real problem is that all too frequently teams have been able to run it back with interest in 3 or 4 phases.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 16:53
Quote:
Tomato Soup

The club have absolutely nothing to do with the scheduling for the semi final on Friday.

southgate
southgate (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 17:18
Quote:
OutsideBath
Must be honest I can't wait for this season to be over and really couldn't care less what happens on Friday. I've got tickets but not sure if I'll bother to turn up to watch more keystone cop rugby from Bath.

I also have a ticket and also don't know if I'll go. weather looks@#$%&and I expect the rugby to be worse.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 17:30
Iím definitely going and will be cheering on the lads, but not expecting much...which means it canít be a disappointment (can it? Please tell me it canít!).

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 18:21
Quote:
nick holder
I know about 20 ST holders who have not bothered to get tickets for this week as they are so disillusioned?

My sentiments also, perhaps if it had been on Saturday I may have made the effort, but driving up from the New Forest on another Friday night, with a team in poor form when it is on the TV.......

Nah.

Bathovalballer

05 March, 2018 19:09
If the club do read this site as Coochie insists they do, please note the fall off of long term supporters fed up with being dicked about by a very poor product being provided by the club and it's players. If they were in the financial world, they would either been sacked on masse or at least sacked and got rid of to keep the shareholders (in our case supporters) happy.

Wake up players and management you are on notice to go, and sooner the better IMV.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 19:20
BOB, the owner, management and players are as annoyed (or more) than we are I would imagine. After all, I paid £300 odd for my ticket BC paid several million...

Bathovalballer

05 March, 2018 19:53
Well if they are truly annoyed lets see some action or positive reaction from the so called professionals we employ. Unfortunately we have not seen the like this season, or the past 2/3 seasons! Same problems, same faults, same weaknesses and still no resolution. What is up with this bunch of management, coaches and players, particularly the latter? It is about time they stepped up to the mark or go. Sooner the better and I don't want to hear excuses or we have 'x' with sore toes. Get real you people as others are dying in Africa and you well fed, some would say, overpaid guys cannot be bothered to pick yourselves up and show some regular sustained improvement. Lets get people in who are hungry for success. Let those happy to jog along picking up the money (and fluffy slippers) go like Guy Mercer at Ospreys where his play had been shown to be inadequate. We have too many underperformers and guys who never will or want to perform at Prem level. It may mean a total rebuild of the side and a spell in the Championship. So be it. At least we may rebuild a side who want to play and show the resolve to learn and improve.

Bath Supporter Jack

05 March, 2018 19:56
I agree Mr Wiley

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 20:44
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Get real you people as others are dying in Africa and you well fed, some would say, overpaid guys cannot be bothered to pick yourselves up and show some regular sustained improvement.

(Sm16)

Boldangrey
Boldangrey (IP Logged)

05 March, 2018 21:14
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
Bathovalballer
Get real you people as others are dying in Africa and you well fed, some would say, overpaid guys cannot be bothered to pick yourselves up and show some regular sustained improvement.

(Sm16)

(Sm16)(Sm16)

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 09:07
Quote:
Ballsout
The club have absolutely nothing to do with the scheduling for the semi final on Friday.

No, no, no, no, no, no ...... and no !!

The club are a shareholder in Premier Rugby and presumably in whatever entity owns and runs the AWC. The clubs own the rugby product, the clubs strike the TV deals, the clubs take the TV cash, the clubs slowly but surely disenfranchise their long term supporters, the clubs get to play games in half empty stadiums, the TV companies lose interest and lower their offer price. Basically the clubs need to wake up next time a TV deal is to be done.

Even I'm comfortable with the idea of some Friday night rugby but there needs to be a balance and where we are at the moment is anything but balanced.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 09:07
Quote:
Kidney Stone
Quote:
nick holder

My sentiments also, perhaps if it had been on Saturday I may have made the effort, but driving up from the New Forest on another Friday night, with a team in poor form when it is on the TV.......

Nah.

Aah, I hadn't clocked that this one isn't already paid for, good

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 09:11
Quote:
Boldangrey
Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
Bathovalballer

(Sm16)

(Sm16)(Sm16)

Lets see how well fed they are when they have to catch and kill their own food, is that actually happening, if so can we get tickets?

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 09:12
Quote:
BathOvalBaller
What is up with this bunch of management, coaches and players, particularly the latter? It is about time they stepped up to the mark or go. Sooner the better and I don't want to hear excuses or we have 'x' with sore toes. Get real you people as others are dying in Africa and you well fed, some would say, overpaid guys cannot be bothered to pick yourselves up and show some regular sustained improvement. Lets get people in who are hungry for success. Let those happy to jog along picking up the money (and fluffy slippers) go like Guy Mercer at Ospreys where his play had been shown to be inadequate.

I don't really want to read this claptrap anymore. Is there a way of filtering out this poster's ignorant nonsense but leaving in everything else ?

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 09:20
I think Mr Holder, that 20 is a very conservative number to guesstimate - never mind, as the marketing at the club will ring round the Uni,schools, RUH and offer free tickets and then claim probably it was a sell out!(Sm22)

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

Kaapstad
Kaapstad (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 10:56
Friday nights....

I live in Llanelli but have followed Bath since 86.
The Scarlets moved to a shinny new stadium where the "revenue streams" would bring weath 'a plenty. At least thats what they said to the ST holders.
The place is usualy half full (the same story in Swansea too). In the past it has a lot to do with the tv.The club have played very well in the last few years particulary and the numbers are up a bit.

The club always say "we need the revenue" "we dont decide the fixtures" "we will do our best to get more Saturday games next season"

Sound familiar?

What has happend as someone has already written on here is the tv push the money down because they have the clubs over a barrel needing the cash due to half full stadiums.

I meet a lot of people in town who ask: "Is the game on tv? I'll not go then".....

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 14:29
Quote:
Kaapstad
Friday nights....
I live in Llanelli but have followed Bath since 86.
The Scarlets moved to a shinny new stadium where the "revenue streams" would bring weath 'a plenty. At least thats what they said to the ST holders.
The place is usualy half full (the same story in Swansea too). In the past it has a lot to do with the tv.The club have played very well in the last few years particulary and the numbers are up a bit.

The club always say "we need the revenue" "we dont decide the fixtures" "we will do our best to get more Saturday games next season"

Sound familiar?

What has happend as someone has already written on here is the tv push the money down because they have the clubs over a barrel needing the cash due to half full stadiums.

I meet a lot of people in town who ask: "Is the game on tv? I'll not go then".....

So attendance should shoot up next season with the announcement that the BBC will no longer be broadcasting the Pro 14!

No idea how that will help Scarlets though!

Kaapstad
Kaapstad (IP Logged)

06 March, 2018 17:07
(Sm116)

MESSAGES->author
liquidmonkey (IP Logged)

07 March, 2018 11:20
Quote:
nick holder
I hope we don't get through to the final, as whoever we play will beat us and the last thing we need right now is a another morale sapping defeat. The focus had to be the next prem game v Exeter and Todd et al could do with a good couple of weeks working with this shower in the hope of instilling some pride into them

This is a very odd attitude. Don't you think getting beaten by an even poorer Northampton team at home would be even more morale sapping.

The measure may be thought bold, but I am of the opinion the boldest are the safest.
Horatio Nelson

Adopted players:
2017-18 Freddie Burns
2016-17 Nick Auterac
2015-16 Guy Mercer
2014-15 Juan Pablo Orlandi

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

07 March, 2018 13:32
Quote:
Beergoggles
Quote:
Ballsout

No, no, no, no, no, no ...... and no !!

The club are a shareholder in Premier Rugby and presumably in whatever entity owns and runs the AWC. The clubs own the rugby product, the clubs strike the TV deals, the clubs take the TV cash, the clubs slowly but surely disenfranchise their long term supporters, the clubs get to play games in half empty stadiums, the TV companies lose interest and lower their offer price. Basically the clubs need to wake up next time a TV deal is to be done.

Even I'm comfortable with the idea of some Friday night rugby but there needs to be a balance and where we are at the moment is anything but balanced.

It's 6N weekend so can't be on a Saturday - nothing to do with the club.

Exeter can't play on the Friday because of police advice, so take the Sunday slot, leaving us with the Friday one - nothing to do with the club.

I can't see what else they could have done?

Looking at the tickets website it will be a bit over half full from the looks of it.

I have a ticket; whether I go depends on the weather TBH - I don't have any desire to freeze or get soaked.

Stuart

Former ed.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

07 March, 2018 13:41
Quote:
TCM2007

I have a ticket; whether I go depends on the weather TBH - I don't have any desire to freeze or get soaked.

Sounds like a nice warm waterproof coat is in order. There, problem solved!

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

07 March, 2018 14:31
As Billy Connolly says 'There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes'.

Bathovalballer

07 March, 2018 15:19
I have a ticket and as long as the trains are running will be there. I want us to win something, anything, and hope we turn up this time.

recman
recman (IP Logged)

07 March, 2018 15:36
Quote:
TCM2007
Looking at the tickets website it will be a bit over half full from the looks of it.

The attendance for the semi against Leicester in 2012 was 10,205. From what I remember we weren't very good that season either, very dour and conservative. But for some reason we completely changed our style and started to throw it around champagne style in that semi, and lost (just). That was the season when Flatman just couldn't seem to lift his arm to bind, and took a lot of stick for it. I was sat near to Cockerill for that game, and at every scrum he was roaring "Flatman" at the ref.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

07 March, 2018 21:20
Quote:
TCM2007
It's 6N weekend so can't be on a Saturday - nothing to do with the club

We played Sale on a 6 nations weekend just before the Calcutta cup. We could play on Saturday at noon before the Ireland game.

Quote:
TCM2007
Exeter can't play on the Friday because of police advice, so take the Sunday slot, leaving us with the Friday one - nothing to do with the club.

Iíve said this before but what on earth has that got to do with us ? If Exeter are daft enough to build a stadium that that they canít use on a Friday night and the league/AWC let them get away with it thatís their problem not ours.

Letís get Bath council to say we can only play on a Saturday and see how that goes.

tboullem
Mobbs (IP Logged)

07 March, 2018 22:04
Perhaps the Devon plods have too much clout....Sixways is as close to the M5 as Sandy Park and it does not stop them playing on friday nights !

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 09:43
Club very concerned about the likely attendance tomorrow night, have emailed all the ST Holders who have not yet bought a ticket. Looks like it could be under 10,000 there for a semi.
A sad indictment of many are fed up with the shambles of this season now exacerbated with the fresh round of injuries.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 09:53
Quote:
Mobbs
Perhaps the Devon plods have too much clout....Sixways is as close to the M5 as Sandy Park and it does not stop them playing on friday nights !

You would have to factor in the number of people going on holiday to Devon and Cornwall against those going on holiday to Birmingham. grinning smiley

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 10:12
Quote:
nick holder
Club very concerned about the likely attendance tomorrow night, have emailed all the ST Holders who have not yet bought a ticket. Looks like it could be under 10,000 there for a semi.
A sad indictment of many are fed up with the shambles of this season now exacerbated with the fresh round of injuries.

Wow that's poor for a semi where the tickets were cheap as chips. Friday night issue? I can't believe that all those people are fair weather supporters.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 10:48
Much more realistic indicator of how support is slipping away! Friday night when its probably going to be coldandwet (again) is the final straw!

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

Puxonian
Puxonian (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 11:39
Quote:
nick holder

Nobody's emailed me, though yesterday morning I did receive, by Royal Mail, an invitation urging me to purchase a ticket for the final by completing a form and returning it to the ticket office by Thursday 8th March. Bit previous I thought, given the current form of the team

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 11:53
What kind of daft competition has just 1 week between the semi final and the final ?

I'm amazed they get anyone turning up at these finals.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 14:25
You... You guys know that this competition is a joke right? Why are people so surprised?

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 14:36
I am not surprised at all. I think the ST holders amongst us have already voted with our feet many other occasions this season, it is just our numbers are counted in the published attendance figures whether we go our not. Now there is an all pay game, the shambles of this season is being exposed in stark relief. I sincerely hope the owner and his mate the MD (tARQUIN?) are embarrassed when they see a half full rec shown on the TV on Friday night and do something to support the beleaguered DOR.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 14:36
Quote:
Beergoggles
What kind of daft competition has just 1 week between the semi final and the final ?
I'm amazed they get anyone turning up at these finals.

A competition where they are trying to squeeze it in during an international window.

Bathovalballer

08 March, 2018 15:29
'You... You guys know that this competition is a joke right? Why are people so surprised?'

Some may consider it a joke but as it is the only thing we stand a chance of winning, IMO we should go hell for leather for it, as Saints are with their putting out a very strong side. Winning something might help rebuild confidence and get the club back on track.

Not much else to celebrate and as someone has already said, if we get through to the final we will probably be playing a very strong Exeter side! Now that is going to be interesting because they do take the competition very seriously and look where they are compared to us!

MESSAGES->author
TCM2007 (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 15:37
[www.metoffice.gov.uk]

Should knock another 1,000 off the attendance - including me if true!

Stuart

Former ed.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 15:53
Oh yippedy doo. Just the 90% chance of torrential rain then. Anyone want to buy a terrace ticket

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 16:00
Quote:
Beergoggles
Oh yippedy doo. Just the 90% chance of torrential rain then. Anyone want to buy a terrace ticket

Cheer up BG its only 76% on the BBC weather!

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 18:53
Quote:
TCM2007
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gcnk62de6#?date=2018-03-09
Should knock another 1,000 off the attendance - including me if true!

That's definitely me not going as well, rather stay at home and watch the golf.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 19:02
Luckily it takes more than a few losses and a bit of rain to put off the several thousand Bath (and Saints fans) that will be at the ground cheering their teams on then.

Tomato Soup
Tomato Soup (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 19:04
They can't give tickets away for this.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 19:14
Quote:
BathMatt53
Luckily it takes more than a few losses and a bit of rain to put off the several thousand Bath (and Saints fans) that will be at the ground cheering their teams on then.

I've sat in the the stand in far worse conditions than those forecast for tomorrow over the years, but never felt the team was so hopelessly lost and lacking direction as it is now.

Also it's only the utterly pointless AWC so won't bother even though I did by tickets in a moment of madness before the latest hopeless loss.

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 20:51
I can't agree that the AWC is "utterly pointless", it provides a useful function for fringe squad and academy players as well as injury returnees to get meaningful game time during the season. Having said that am I excited about tomorrow night? No, like others on 'ere I am struggling to muster any enthusiasm for BRFC at the moment. Do I want us to win? Yes and will go to the game hoping we do. Will my life change if we lose? Not really and will look forward to Eng V Fra Sat PM. Is it tough supporting Bath just now? For sure, but I'll bet it's harder for London Irish supporters...

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 21:15
I mean watching all professional sport is utterly pointless if you go down that route.

trolleydolly
trolleydolly (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 21:26
Well, we bought our tickets and we still got that email.

Bathovalballer

08 March, 2018 21:34
I bought mine and got the letter.

Bathovalballer

08 March, 2018 22:00
The BBC Weather forecast is nearly as consistent and accurate as our , line out drive and box kicking and chase which is woeful. Best hang up your seaweed and see if the cows are sitting down or not.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 22:24
Quote:
DanWiley
I mean watching all professional sport is utterly pointless if you go down that route.

What do you mean?

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

08 March, 2018 22:34
Quote:
Clarkey3k
I can't agree that the AWC is "utterly pointless", it provides a useful function for fringe squad and academy players as well as injury returnees to get meaningful game time during the season. Having said that am I excited about tomorrow night? No, like others on 'ere I am struggling to muster any enthusiasm for BRFC at the moment. Do I want us to win? Yes and will go to the game hoping we do. Will my life change if we lose? Not really and will look forward to Eng V Fra Sat PM. Is it tough supporting Bath just now? For sure, but I'll bet it's harder for London Irish supporters...

It's certainly not pointless for the players, some of whom are leaving after long service to go away with a winners medal or even a runners up medal would be an achievement.

There will be many professional rugby players who retire with nothing at all!

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

09 March, 2018 09:40
Danny Grewcock allegedly threw his world cup winner's medal in the Avon on the basis that he only played part of one match in the tournament (against Uruguay).

Winning is nice and a habit. I want Bath to win because I always want Bath to win. But good grief guys. This is a tournament for developing players that we're only in the knock-out rounds for because we basically picked first teamers against opposition kids (particularly in the replacement tight five). This is not a level playing field with everyone going all out to win.

I still want us to win. But winning the AW is slightly less meaningful in the scheme of things than finding a spare fiver in your jeans pocket.

(It's still more meaningful than the Premiership 7s, which is like finding a note of a defunct currency worth 20p, but only after it's come out of the washing machine).

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

09 March, 2018 09:50
"Danny Grewcock allegedly threw his world cup winner's medal in the Avon"

Yes - and he then, allegedly, privately paid a team of divers to go and retrieve it. When they failed to find it, he grunted so hard that they jumped straight back in and didn't surface until 36 hours later, triumphantly bearing Danny's medal, Simon Fenn's ear and Brian Ashton's spiritual home.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

09 March, 2018 09:51
You are right of course but it would be something to stick on the mantle piece which is taking on a distinctly antique nature.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

09 March, 2018 09:55
Quote:
hasta
Danny Grewcock allegedly threw his world cup winner's medal in the Avon on the basis that he only played part of one match in the tournament (against Uruguay).
Winning is nice and a habit. I want Bath to win because I always want Bath to win. But good grief guys. This is a tournament for developing players that we're only in the knock-out rounds for because we basically picked first teamers against opposition kids (particularly in the replacement tight five). This is not a level playing field with everyone going all out to win.

I still want us to win. But winning the AW is slightly less meaningful in the scheme of things than finding a spare fiver in your jeans pocket.

(It's still more meaningful than the Premiership 7s, which is like finding a note of a defunct currency worth 20p, but only after it's come out of the washing machine).

I was quite chuffed to realise that as I couldnt be bothered to go, I hadn't already paid for it on my season ticket, I would put that behind the fiver in the jeans and ahead of the defunct currency..

Bathovalballer

09 March, 2018 10:36
Made me smile Opti. Very good.

Bathovalballer

09 March, 2018 10:40
And I wish we had someone 'grunting' like Danny did now. Again, as I understand it and from what I heard from those in the know, his departure had much to do with a certain head coach we had at the time.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

09 March, 2018 10:45
BOB

Just got this:

I would like to invite you to attend an exclusive evening for Season Ticket Holders, with myself, members of the Bath Rugby coaching team and a senior player at Farleigh House on the evening of Monday 19th or Wednesday 21st March.

The panel will cover the season so far and their focus for the final fixtures, as well as providing an update on key Club activity, including Stadium for Bath. This will be followed by a Q&A session when you can put your questions to the panel. You will also be given a guided tour of Farleigh House, Bath Rugby's elite training facility

A great opportunity for you to check out the spa!

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

09 March, 2018 10:49
"Quote:
DanWiley

What do you mean?"

Ultimately what is the point in you watching Bath win the HEC?

I'm actually quite looking forward to the game tonight. Watching on TV, I'm not crazy.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

09 March, 2018 10:56
Quote:
Beergoggles

The Rugby World Cup

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

09 March, 2018 11:14
Quote:
Bathovalballer
And I wish we had someone 'grunting' like Danny did now. Again, as I understand it and from what I heard from those in the know, his departure had much to do with a certain head coach we had at the time.

It may well have done. But it always strikes me as a bit weird that a 70-cap & British Lion, who held an important position as part of the talent development team at Bath Rugby moved on to become 'director of sport' (or what we used to call a 'PE teacher') at a school.

Bathovalballer

09 March, 2018 11:19
Wish I did get an invite woodpecker as I have never been since all the work has been done. I have been to Farliegh when it was a school for naughty boys IIRR and I had to see a client there but that must have been 25 years ago or so. No doubt it has changed and I would be fascinated to see the 'luxury' surroundings and improvements but not so convinced about the 'guests'! Do you get to try on the fluffy slippers?

To be fair, I did get an invite about 2 years ago but could not go because I was away on business for the week. I contacted the club and explained and hope to be included again.

Bathovalballer

09 March, 2018 11:30
As I understand it, when Danny had made up his mind to go, he was a little disillusioned with his treatment and the club scene, and an opportunity came up for him to change direction into a 'safer' career with the added bonus of a subsidised or free education for his children. That was another decisive factor in him taking a teaching position.

I just wish he was still around bringing on the youngsters and helping out with the first team. With his experience and winning career, I am positive his contributions would be as good if not better than one or two of the present forward coach incumbents..

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

09 March, 2018 11:40
I'm also slightly fascinated by the economics of it BoB. What sort of salary could he be on at Oundle? Surely, they can't afford to pay more than £100k? (though 2-3 free places at Oundle would add considerably to the 'package'). Surely DG could have attracted considerably more than that within the game in some capacity or another?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

09 March, 2018 11:48
Yeah, I know this is the easy answer and therefore not always right, but in this case I'm 100% positive it's Mike Ford's fault.

MESSAGES->author
woodpecker (IP Logged)

09 March, 2018 11:49
Quote:
Optimist
I'm also slightly fascinated by the economics of it BoB. What sort of salary could he be on at Oundle? Surely, they can't afford to pay more than £100k? (though 2-3 free places at Oundle would add considerably to the 'package'). Surely DG could have attracted considerably more than that within the game in some capacity or another?

Oundle >£30K?

Perhaps he makes a bit on the side punching people

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 March, 2018 11:59
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
Bathovalballer

It may well have done. But it always strikes me as a bit weird that a 70-cap & British Lion, who held an important position as part of the talent development team at Bath Rugby moved on to become 'director of sport' (or what we used to call a 'PE teacher') at a school.

Bit like the old days when Andy Robinson was my form tutor. He used to come in on a Monday looking like he had been run over by a tank...

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

09 March, 2018 12:09
Any ST holders got tickets for tonights game and, if so, did your ticket come as a paper tickets or are they added onto your ST (barcode) ? I ordered mine on Monday and I suspect I need to collect a paper ticket before the game.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

09 March, 2018 12:24
Quote:
Beergoggles
Any ST holders got tickets for tonights game and, if so, did your ticket come as a paper tickets or are they added onto your ST (barcode) ? I ordered mine on Monday and I suspect I need to collect a paper ticket before the game.

mine was paper

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

09 March, 2018 13:38
Quote:
hasta
Yeah, I know this is the easy answer and therefore not always right, but in this case I'm 100% positive it's Mike Ford's fault.

Yes - but if it was just Ford's fault and Danny was an outstanding Academy manager and/or rugby coach, i feel reasonably certain that some other Club would have snapped him up.

I'd like to say, 'well perhaps he just feels that his vocation is nurturing a love of sport for its own sake, rather than as a career path' - but I feel absolutely certain that Oundle will be using him as a magnet for every Range Rover driver who wants to utter the words, 'My son's rugby coach .... Danny Grewcock .... yeah, yeah that Danny Grewcock'.

Bath Supporter Jack

09 March, 2018 14:34
Do not underestimate the value of the reduced cost of the school places!!!!

A major bone of contention at Monkton Combe was the multiple teacher's childrens places which were a very large minority in classes in some years

Danny Grewcock, Head of Sport, Salary, Pension, Accomodation, very cheap places for your childr to enjoy a fantastic education,lovely grounds and facilities, secure job for life, close to where you were brought up (Coventry) and where your family lives.........what's not to like.

Peter Short is head of Sport at Canford in Wimborne.....a very similar school to Oundle.

Old Bath Tub
Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)

09 March, 2018 16:47
Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
Bathovalballer

Agree, perhaps at an independent school such as Oundle the salary is very good and his mother was a teacher and I believe when asked about his future after rugby he did say it would be teaching or join the military.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

10 March, 2018 10:36
I and Mrs Seagull are STHs. We went, we got soaked but boy did I enjoy the mud, the bodies splashing in the ponds.Plastic pitches must be so boring to watch every week.
In the end the reason sport is seductive especially with a wrong shaped ball is cos you donít know what will happen.
Brilliant evening.

SPLASH

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

10 March, 2018 10:50
Commentary on Radio Bristol was brilliant I thought, Freddie was interesting as he displayed some great tactical nouse about how he would have used the conditions, but the best bit by far was the image generated by the description of James Phillips attempt to aquaplane slide to take advantage of the conditions which simply resulted in a muddy flop! I'd have liked to have seen that!

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

10 March, 2018 10:58
Regarding Grewcock, I would imagine finding a new career after professional rugby could be a terrifying prospect so if Danny is happy at teaching then good for him.

Some of the choices after playing are right in the spotlight, whether its refereeing, punditry or coaching. That's not for all though and they are edgy as regards proper careers so I hope the property developers, teachers and business managers have a great 2nd career whilst nursing a catalogue of long term niggles without the support of club physios and doctors.

Great to see Borthers working with England and as a local resident to us hopefully one day he could get involved once his time with England comes to an end.

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

10 March, 2018 14:06
Nope.
Will never forgive him for announcing his departure whilst being Captain.
And on the pitch for me pretty anonymous.

FLAP

Bathovalballer

10 March, 2018 20:23
I also thought he was anonymous for us, certainly after his protector, Danny G had left. He certainly left the club when we really needed him, for his leadership when the club was in strife not sure I would say I couldn't forgive him for it.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

10 March, 2018 20:28
A winner by nature and spending time with England and Eddie so soon after Sarries makes him a young but experienced coach. Not maybe DoR material but I am sure he would be forgiven for leaving if he re joined and got Bath near the top of the tree again.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

10 March, 2018 22:03
Steve Borthwick has a pile of work to do by next week if we have any chance of beating Ireland. We could well end up 4th but more worryingly below Wales! (Sm112)

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

10 March, 2018 22:09
Quote:
Bathovalballer
I also thought he was anonymous for us, certainly after his protector, Danny G had left. He certainly left the club when we really needed him, for his leadership when the club was in strife not sure I would say I couldn't forgive him for it.

Danny Grewcock played for Bath for 3 years after Borthwick left.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2018 22:12 by hasta.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net