rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Bath Supporter Jack

My Friday Night Experience
11 March, 2018 12:27
So being somewhat busy a couple of weeks ago I missed the fact that I had to buy tickets for the AW semi-final.......

So I turn up late and ask for my usual season tickets in the Open Stand .......to be told they had been sold already but I could have the two directly behind. So I took those.

With some trepidation on a foul Friday night I waited until 5 minutes before KO to go and take my seats to discover someone was already in them!!! Closer examination of my ticket showed I had bought tickets in the Covered stand with the same letter and number. Wishing my usual people around where I sit I scurried over to the dry of the Covered Stand.

During the match my heart went out to my friends in the Open Stand.......what foul conditions!

I know that Friday's night game cannot be totally representative of a "normal" fixture but I would observe the following;

1. Lots more noise.......so whilst the match was being played lots and lots of general chatter about everything,

2. During the kick, although interestingly not on the last very important kick, the chatter did not stop during any of the kicks,

3. Lots more people movement throughout the whole match.

4. Very strong support for when Matt Banahan arrived on the pitch.

5. I was sitting on the same row about 10 yards from Dorian West and was conscious that certain displays of body language were made by him and Gaffney so on the referral to the TMO for the first try lots of shakes of the head, we could not see the replay on the big screen, etc.

6. It might well be that having a roof on made the general chatter seem louder than the Open Side.

7. Also when the crowd did stop chatting (!) and started cheering it was very noisy and demonstrates how much noise is lost without a roof.

Rubbish time for a fixture, Rubbish Tournament, Rubbish conditions on Friday........BUT we are in a final and many young players have had great experience and even in rugby there is room for an upset....against form.

C'MON YOU BATH!!!!!

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

Re: My Friday Night Experience
11 March, 2018 15:42
My experience of non rugby chatter amongst the casual Friday night crowd is similar. Stood behind two blokes on Friday night who spent the entire game talking about planning a stag night rarely bothering to even look up at the game. Each to their own but I canít imagine choosing to stand out in that weather if I wasnt interested in the rugby.

I always wonder about the economic impact of Friday versus Saturday games on the towns businesses and am surprised more hasnít been made of it.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

11 March, 2018 15:45
To be fair even the most ardent of rugby geeks would have found it tough to focus entirely on rugby on Friday night!

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

11 March, 2018 22:21
But its every Friday night - without even mentioning the I suspect nonSTH visitors who have been imbibing or several hours before kick off - and that in the so-called posh seats.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net