rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

Anglo Welsh Cup Final
12 March, 2018 09:57
So.
Who should we pick?
I'd go with pretty much the same 23, just squeeze Banners into the starting 15 by swapping him with Atkins. Maybe beef up the bench a bit more with Batty instead of van Vuuren and Freddie over Aled.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

Re: Anglo Welsh Cup Final
12 March, 2018 09:59
Exeter having a 2 day shorter turn around must help us.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

12 March, 2018 10:06
Quote:
jayeatman
So.
Who should we pick?
I'd go with pretty much the same 23, just squeeze Banners into the starting 15 by swapping him with Atkins. Maybe beef up the bench a bit more with Batty instead of van Vuuren and Freddie over Aled.

Sounds good to me. However I suspect Cook will be out and Vuna failed his HIA so I doubt he can be available. So Khan/Green into the XV with Banahan and Atkins on the wings. Brew on the bench.

MESSAGES->author
Lansdown12 (IP Logged)

12 March, 2018 10:08
Slade and Armand have also been called up by England, not sure they would have been playing but every little helps in these uncertain times

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 March, 2018 11:02
Quote:
BathBurger
Quote:
jayeatman
So.
Who should we pick?

Sounds good to me. However I suspect Cook will be out and Vuna failed his HIA so I doubt he can be available. So Khan/Green into the XV with Banahan and Atkins on the wings. Brew on the bench.

Areed BB - Todd said that Cook was knocked out and went off to hospital so he shouldn't play even if he were allowed. Young Max Green will be fine - have been impressed with the little that I have seen.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

12 March, 2018 13:17
Quote:
BathMatt53
Areed BB - Todd said that Cook was knocked out and went off to hospital so he shouldn't play even if he were allowed. Young Max Green will be fine - have been impressed with the little that I have seen.
Isn't that a bit of an over-reaction?
We still don't know the effects, and are, quite honestly, still in the data-gathering stage of finding the answers; but if he suffers no ill effects of his LoC, then 9 days is plenty based on current knowledge. Bare in mind - it takes 5 days to pass the return to play protocols; which are based on the best evidence currently available; and adapted every single year.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Susanne
Susanne (IP Logged)

12 March, 2018 13:32
I'd go with anyone who's fit! Sounds like we're struggling to put out a fully fit 23.

http://i63.tinypic.com/34hhulf.jpg
Proud to adopt one of our stars of the future

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

12 March, 2018 13:46
Quote:
Which Tyler
Quote:
BathMatt53
Isn't that a bit of an over-reaction?
We still don't know the effects, and are, quite honestly, still in the data-gathering stage of finding the answers; but if he suffers no ill effects of his LoC, then 9 days is plenty based on current knowledge. Bare in mind - it takes 5 days to pass the return to play protocols; which are based on the best evidence currently available; and adapted every single year.

I was standing about 20 metres from him and he was out cold - he tried to get up after a little while and flopped down again. Added to Todd B saying that he was taken to hospital because of it I am concerned for him. If it were my son I wouldn't want him playing and the same goes for any of the young men I coach (where as you know the RTPP is much longer).

I guess I am just very cautious when it comes to big head knocks, its not like he was dazed and needed an HIA, he was face down in the mud. Not worth the risk IMO, whether they are data-gathering or not.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

12 March, 2018 14:01
I assume they'll go with much the same team, but we have to start Burns. Good as Lewis was on the day, his future has already been decided elsewhere, and i'd much rather see Freddie out there bonding with some of the youngsters, getting his own chance to start his Bath career with a Cup final, and finding some form for the run-in. His season has been very interrupted to date, and so it's all the more important to give him that run-out.

Would like to see Atkins starting too, and even Max Green over Kahn. I think we are underdogs for this game whichever team we put out, but - tinpot or not - I don't think we should underestimate how much of a boost it would be if they could pull it off.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

12 March, 2018 21:40
Quote:
BathMatt53
I was standing about 20 metres from him and he was out cold - he tried to get up after a little while and flopped down again. Added to Todd B saying that he was taken to hospital because of it I am concerned for him. If it were my son I wouldn't want him playing and the same goes for any of the young men I coach (where as you know the RTPP is much longer).

I guess I am just very cautious when it comes to big head knocks, its not like he was dazed and needed an HIA, he was face down in the mud. Not worth the risk IMO, whether they are data-gathering or not.
no-one has denied that he lost consciousness; but nothing you've said suggests that he needs longer off than bets medical knowledge.
Yes, I know RTP protocols are longer for younger players, and for amateurs. However, that doesn't change medical knowledge.
Cookie may or may not be fit by Sunday; there is absolutely no way of being able to tell that at this point (barring further injury).
You may be cautious on these things, but your talking to someone that's been on a crusade for this issue for a good decade or so.
So he was unconscious - so what?
Your instincts do not trump medical research.

RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2018 21:43 by Which Tyler.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 05:50
I didn’t say they did WT, however I wouldn’t want to see him play. Things like ‘we are still in the data gathering stage’ and ‘we still don’t know the effects’ aren’t convincing. Remember that he missed games at the start of the year after getting knocked out against Sarries as well.

Still, I fully recognise that it’s not me that needs to be convinced and that you are an expert but I do believe that I am allowed a view? (An ill informed one admittedly)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/03/2018 05:57 by BathMatt53.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 09:21
Of course you're allowed a view.
And of course I'm allowed to challenge it.

What's unconvincing about "we're till in the data gathering stage" and "we still don't know the effects"? It's absolutely true. We've only just started looking at the long-term effects of concussion, and specifically repeated concussion, and more importantly, repeated sub-concussive impacts on the human brain.
We can only gather data in retrospect; and it takes time and many, many examples being studied. We can start doing prospective studies in the form of questionairres and imaging studies into past players; taking them from retirement through the next 50-60 years of their life - but that'll take 50-60 years. We can do similar by looking at people who retired 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 years ago; but won't be comparing like with like, either in terms of the individuals, or in terms of the sport they played.
I've mentioned them before; but this is a great place to start, where they are doig just that: [www.leedsbeckett.ac.uk] or [www.facebook.com].

Currently, rugby has the rules on concussion right, and are erring on the side of caution. We have evidence based HIAs, we have further scanning where required, each year sees a new trial in place (currently saliva testing); and we have evidence based return to play protocols. If Chris passes his RTP protocols, then I'm fine with him playing.

Where rugby is still screwing up is the non-enforcement of the HIA and RTP protocols. Saints/Wales can claim to have been looking elsewhere; Glos can brazen in out without being asked questions because it was the end of the season; Tigers can say "he was just winded" without testing to see if there was any more to it; or France can appoint an independent official who's a long-term member of staff at the FFR.

RAEBURN SHIELD

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 10:35
Got to be Banahan over Atkins.
Willing though DA is he’s defensively frail at the mo and MB offers loads more.
Also we have a duty to help Matt’s settling in phase at Castle Grim.

FLAP

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 20:35
Quote:
sid the seagull
Got to be Banahan over Atkins.
Willing though DA is he’s defensively frail at the mo and MB offers loads more.
Also we have a duty to help Matt’s settling in phase at Castle Grim.

FLAP

Yes 100%.

Bath owe Banners the opportunity to run out on Sunday if he is fit.

trolleydolly
trolleydolly (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 20:54
Hasn't Chris had several concussions before? Will this impact on any playing decision?
Lesley

Pulteney
Pulteney (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 19:11
Anyone interested in sharing the journey up from Wells?

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

15 March, 2018 13:31
[www.metoffice.gov.uk] Forecast not good for Sunday!

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

17 March, 2018 16:49
In Herefordshire today and the snow is coming down a bit, struggling to pitch though.

Haven't seen any updates re the game being on or off though, anyone else picked up on any news/updates?

(Trying to distract myself from the England result!)

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

18 March, 2018 18:58
Surely it will be rescheduled for the EU Cup q/f or s/f weekend? Can't see when otherwise. Can't see a TV schedule problem given C5 broadcast highlights of this competition and BT the EPRC matches. We may have a few more back and available...

Adopted players: 2017-18 T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

18 March, 2018 20:21
Quote:
Clarkey3k
Surely it will be rescheduled for the EU Cup q/f or s/f weekend? Can't see when otherwise. Can't see a TV schedule problem given C5 broadcast highlights of this competition and BT the EPRC matches. We may have a few more back and available...

Wonder how it works with selections? Are we just allowed to select different players? Would be harsh on those who thought they were playing a cup final and then miss out.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

18 March, 2018 20:44
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Clarkey3k

Wonder how it works with selections? Are we just allowed to select different players? Would be harsh on those who thought they were playing a cup final and then miss out.

I agree. I'm sure this isn't the case but I think it should be same line-ups unless injuries are sustained in the meantime. (Knocks wood/crosses fingers and toes).

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)

18 March, 2018 20:53
Quote:
Clarkey3k

BT show the AW Cup games live, plus a chunk of EPRC games so very much a TV schedule problen. Not sure EPRC would be too happy with another game going on at the same time on one of "their" weekends.
Don't be surprised if the match is at an odd time to avoid EPRC games - 8 matches in the two cups over the Easter weekend.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

18 March, 2018 21:13
Maybe the red button again, or one of the higher numbered BT sport channels?

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

18 March, 2018 21:23
Quote:
BathMatt53
This is not the first ever time a rugby match has been postponed.
To demand the same selection though - that'd be a first (assuming a postponement more than 24 hours).

Form and fitness (and priorities) change, this surely isn't a surprise

RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/03/2018 21:23 by Which Tyler.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

18 March, 2018 21:41
I am aware that it’s not the first postponed match (this month even)! I wasn’t demanding, I wondered what the rules were and whether Todd would be likely to stick with the same guys if he can or bring in the cavalry (like Toby F). I am interested to see what happens, particularly given the status (or perceived status) of this competition...that’s about it really. I guess we shouldn’t have too long before we find out.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

19 March, 2018 10:45
No Champions Cup QF games on the Easter Monday 2nd April. Otherwise pick the SF weekend of 21st/22nd.

As for committing to the same lineup as the postponed game that would be just daft. Pick the best team available for the rescheduled date based upon availability, form, and the wider needs of the club.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

19 March, 2018 10:48
Personally I hope/want us to put out our absolute best side and go for the win which hopefully will prove the catalyst to a change in our fortunes and give the guys the confidence and something to build on/ proving Todd's systems etc are working. I think Exeter, although being stronger with more to choose from, will stick to picking mainly squad players, especially as they give the coaching responsibility for this competition to Ricky Pellow (ex Bath scrum half!) and is a major part of his player development role.

Also, I don't think we are going to win many more Prem games this season, so lets go for broke for something significant we can and need to win.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)

19 March, 2018 13:09
Quote:
Beergoggles
No Champions Cup QF games on the Easter Monday 2nd April. Otherwise pick the SF weekend of 21st/22nd.
As for committing to the same lineup as the postponed game that would be just daft. Pick the best team available for the rescheduled date based upon availability, form, and the wider needs of the club.

Bath play Leicester on Sat 7th April - would you be happy with that short a turnaround? Exeter play on Sunday 8th btw.

ChippenhamRoman
ChippenhamRoman (IP Logged)

19 March, 2018 17:52
Quote:
shendy
Quote:
Beergoggles

Bath play Leicester on Sat 7th April - would you be happy with that short a turnaround? Exeter play on Sunday 8th btw.

It’s got to be played sometime.

Easter Monday would do me fine.

What’s the deal with tickets?

I’ve been stuck in Rome watching Scotland. (I know, terrible).
Bristol flight got binned off yesterday, earliest I can get home is tomorrow.

I can now make the final.

J

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/03/2018 17:53 by ChippenhamRoman.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

19 March, 2018 20:07
Quote:
shendy

No problem as I view the game on the 7th as an exhibition game for the benefit of those wanting a nice day out. If it was an important competetive game we wouldn’t give up Home advantage would we ?

*f1*
*f1* (IP Logged)

20 March, 2018 12:14
EPRC regulations mean that domestic competitions can't be played same time and day as a European fixture

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)

20 March, 2018 12:30
Thanks f1 - assumed there was something like that in place, a bit like "no tier 1 rugby in the host country during RWC".

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

20 March, 2018 12:46
Yeah, but didn't they relax that during the knock-outs for the RWC?

First round Prem 16th October 2015. First RWC QF 17th Oct 2015. Pretty sure there's a similar thing for Euros.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

20 March, 2018 14:17
Do hope they come to a decision and announce new date soon....... The suspense is nearly unbearable.smiling bouncing smiley

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

20 March, 2018 17:40
Quote:
*f1*
EPRC regulations mean that domestic competitions can't be played same time and day as a European fixture
A] Any links to that assertion?
B] Completely fails to take into account fixtures that have to be re-arranged; can o ky be played then, and doesn't impact upon them in any way whatsoever.
C] AWC is not a domestic competition.
D] EPCR has no authority over non-EPCR competitions.
E] EPRC is run on behalf of the clubs, not the other way around.

RAEBURN SHIELD

*f1*
*f1* (IP Logged)

20 March, 2018 18:23
from the Ospreys forum: [5.79.33.193]
Quote:
"Ospreys Moderator5"
Quote:
"penddol"
Having braved Parma last week and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves in the snow, do you have any idea when the re scheduling of the Zebre game will be announced? Thanking you in anticipation.

It's likely to be the European semi-final weekend, day and time tbc once the semi-final TV schedule for both competitions is confirmed as EPRC regulations mean that domestic competitions can't be played same time and day as a European fixture.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

20 March, 2018 18:37
That's not exactly an official link, but either way there will be plenty of time within the weekend to not play at the exact same time, even for QFS. Noon Sunday would seem to work.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

21 March, 2018 09:35
Are Glos at home for their QF/SF?

Frome Lurkers
Frome Lurkers (IP Logged)

21 March, 2018 14:45
Away i believe.

alas
alas (IP Logged)

21 March, 2018 14:52
Glos would be at home for the semi if they win their home QF, but shouldn't be beyond them to host one game on Friday and another on Sunday.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

22 March, 2018 10:59
Seems like it's set for Good Friday, 30 March, 2.30pm kick off.

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)

22 March, 2018 13:03
Interesting bath v Exeter in the a league is scheduled for Sat 31st March.

Should test the squad depth with the development teams playing the day before at Glaws!

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

22 March, 2018 16:17
Don't you know fatheralice, we always cancel A league fixtures with Exeter?

MESSAGES->author
fatheralice (IP Logged)

22 March, 2018 18:48
I was assuming the fine would change that.....

Imagine a change in date would suit both clubs on this occasion

taurus
taurus (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 07:26
Does anyone know if the rescheduled match will be shown on BT Sport?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 07:54
Quote:
taurus
Does anyone know if the rescheduled match will be shown on BT Sport?

[www.premiershiprugby.com]

Premiership Rugby can confirm that the Anglo-Welsh Cup Final 2018 will be staged on Good Friday (30 March) with a 2.30pm kick-off at Kingsholm Stadium, live on BT Sport.

MESSAGES->author
CoochieCoo (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 07:55
From the Offy

Quote:
Premiership Rugby can confirm that the Anglo-Welsh Cup Final 2018 will be staged on Good Friday (30 March) with a 2.30pm kick-off at Kingsholm Stadium, live on BT Sport.
The match between Bath Rugby and Exeter Chiefs was postponed last Sunday after severe weather conditions hit the Gloucester area.

“Tickets for the original match will be valid for the new date but we will also be offering all fans who can't make it a refund,” said a Premiership Rugby spokesman.

http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1p7Mwi7pLXeM89TY2KFdDQ-UUDGSv1FKNdhYdrW-koAuRN3tsqCPfE3onFxuO-3cZ0057Tom1uJai3vjkz3dvY_Q/1998%20Euro%20Champs.jpg http://zdgzqa.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pFul9UAV5zEXOzeRc1kmmlgDKXTYTIlTnGoQzYelH6KzdCeU-exN0IGo74QN2OGvlSoEiVjzAESvHx9BFlBsNFA/Bath%202008.jpg

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 07:59
Given that the two sides are playing each other today, next Friday is a pretty sensible piece of scheduling - no-one's on short rest and there's also has plenty of rest before the next game.

Blue Brum
Blue Brum (IP Logged)

23 March, 2018 08:30
I am now available to go but because of childcare duties my wife cant. I am going to get a ticket through the Gloucester ticket office, where are all the Bath fans sitting, I would prefer to be surrounded by some of our own!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net