rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

Super Rugby
13 March, 2018 11:06
I certainly not an authority. Been watching it for a couple of seasons. So exciting, thought i'd share in case anyone here watches it too or is interested. The NZ teams are pretty special, so often played at break neck speeds. Crazy passing. Massive contact. Seriously exciting stuff. The stuff they try sometime is so risky.

Just watched the Lions (SA) last years losing finalists against the Blues (NZ). Played in Ellis Park. Quite high up so kicks travel for a really long way.

Blues have lost all their games so far and are considered the favourites for the wooden spoon amongst the NZ franchises. Tana Umaga is their DoR. They have players such as Sonny Bill Williams, the Ioane brothers, Kaino, Moala.

They beat the lions with a converted try in the last minute. 10 tries in the game in all. Breathtaking stuff. The Lions (who have players like Marx - surely the best hooker in the world atm, Jantjies, Rohan Janse van Rensburg, Lionel Mapoe).

Blues gave away a few tries through interceptions. Just throwing crazy passes. Strangely the Lions struggled with the physicality of the game in the final quarter. Akira Ioane was a monster, surely a candidate for the AB 8 if he can keep it up. Rieko Ioane played at 13, didn't come into it until later.

If you love NZ rugby and you want to see what these guys do at club level, Super Rugby is it. Got to be the most exciting club competition in the world.

I reckon a 'Super Cup' between the winners of Super Rugby ERCC would be awesome!

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

by
by (IP Logged)

Re: Super Rugby
13 March, 2018 12:09
I only really follow the derbies nowadays, the intensity of the Hurricanes vs Crusaders match last weekend was insane. I don't know how any of the players made it out of the changing room for the second half.

Racing 92 played the Hurricanes (I think) a couple of seasons ago, was an entertaining match but didn't hold a candle to the knock out stages within their own leagues.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 12:29
Big fan of Super Rugby but really only watch the NZ teams if I'm honest. It's been a mad start to this season! Looks like it's going to be the Hurricanes v the Crusaders to win the NZ conference and the Super Rugby title.

I also watched the Blues game and have to say it really was pretty poor from the Lions to lose it from the position they were in. As you say with Umanga, SBW, Pulu and the Ioane brothers the Blues really should be performing as well as the chiefs and highlanders on a consistent basis. B Gatland looks strikingly similar to George Ford in 2015...

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 12:49
Crusaders have some amazing players but are little too practical if viewing from a pure entertainment perspective. Compared to the other NZ teams anyway (imo).
Conversely the Blues can be so wild you start wishing they'd just do the easy stuff now and again!

I know what you mean about the Lions. Given they let in 35 against the Bulls last week it does seem as if they're having a problem stopping the other team scoring. I was just surprised the Blues managed to out muscle the Lions during the last 20 mins, at altitude in the Lions back yard.
The Blues weakness does seem to have been their tight 5 so this weekends game was quite a result!

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 13:15
I personally love watching Super Rugby. I do predominantly watch the NZ teams play and then outside of that the Lions, Jaguares, Waratahs and this season, the Rebels, all try to play rugby in a really positive fashion for the most part which is entertaining to watch!

I must say the one thing I note about Super Rugby comparatively is that the reason that there is such high scoring matches is because the defences are sometimes so incredibly poor. If you watch highlights of this weeks matches I saw about 6/7 if not more tries that wouldn't have been conceded in the NH as the defence was just so weak or the opposition gave an easy 5 points to their competition!

With that said though I do love watching these talented players throw the ball around as it makes for great viewing as a neutral!

Adopted players:
2018-19 Jonathan Joseph
2017-18 Shaun Knight

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 13:37
Watch as many games as I can, full on entertainment in nearly all the games.

Tom Dunn - Adopted player 2018/19

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 13:39
Agreed Big Dog, very different game but great for the neutral!

Danchino you make a good point about the Blues not having a great front 5 but it got me thinking: which of the NZ teams do? Crusaders have a great front 5 when all fit, where as all the others have one or two internationals sprinkled about. Which does make me wonder what the future All Blacks front five will be.

Crokett has retired. Owen Franks and Dane Coles really struggle with injury. Retallick and Whitelock are fantastic, but who is there in waiting? S Barrett has become a bit of a penalty magnet unfortunately.
That being said Aumua and Fidow look promising for the front row.

I get far too excited about all this stuff!

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 13:53
Good points BB.
I guess, as you say, Aumua. Maybe Tu'ungafasi, Laulala, Taylor, Hames (big noise about him recently), Tuipulotu. I do think S Barrett will become a main stay.
It's in the back row where the depth of quality really starts to shine imo. Liam Squires is outrageous. Akira Ioane looks like finding some consistency to go with so much talent. Then there's Sam Cane, Ardie Savea, Vaea Fifita - all coming through. It's ridiculous!

It seems to me that NZ teams don't bother too much trying to build a dominant scrum with 5 massive lumps. Looks more like they try to get the scrum to just hold, get the game restarted and then they've got a mobile front 5 who act like back rowers.

It seems the changes in the scrum laws are favouring them too.

Pie-Half
Pie-Half (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 14:03
Admittedly i have not watched any of this season, but the Super touch i witnessed last season was so devoid of intensity, tackling, refereeing i turned off as was like watching colts B club rugby.

I know this is going to set me up foir attack, but i dont get all this fawning over Super rugby sides. Apart from Western Province, West Transvaal (to use their proper anmes) and the NZ teams its predominantly pointless one sided games.

Andy Goode's body double.

Bring back rucking and speed up the game. Simples, for rucks sake.

Anyone.But.Tiggers.

Charlie Ewels - Adopted player 2018/19
Levi Douglas - Adopted player 2017/18
Tom Homer - Adopted player 2016/17

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 14:07
Agreed the back row is unbelievably good. Matt Todd looks very unlucky not to be more involved with the All Blacks.

Though similarly to England the All Blacks also look like the centres haven't quite been sorted out. Once SBW and Crotty are out of the picture. Laumape and Goodhue? R Ioane wants to play at 13 by all accounts too. J Barrett at 12, Ioane at 13, Naholo and Milner-Skudder on the wings with McKenzie at 15 would be a very exciting prospect.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 14:23
I think SBW is on the wain. Crotty is still good but seems to get hurt quite often. Lienert-Brown is his obvious replacement imo. Think he's a top player.

If i'm honest, i don't think Laumape has enough in his locker. Good at head down and charging but if he runs into someone who can hold him i think the rest of his skill set isn't truly AB standard. Goodhue looks a really good prospect though. I think the ABs are going to miss Fekitoa more than they would have hoped.
Rieko looked out of the game at 13 at the weekend. Came into it as space opened up (as you'd expect). Think he's way more dangerous on the wing.
Havilli, Tamanivalu, Aso, Faddes, Moala i guess will be competing for the spot.
Thinking about it though, there's no stand out 12s apart from Lienert-Brown (who can play 13 as well).

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 14:28
Agreed. Moala seems to be out of favour and Tamanivalu had just signed with Bordeaux, so we can knock them off the list.

Don't know how I forgot about Lienart-Brown! J Barrett has said he wants to offer his services as a 12 and has bulked up a bit for that reason so could be a strong contender. Rotation of them and Goodhue is a very reasonable option imv for the future.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 14:43
IS Moala injured? Great crash ball alternative if on form and healthy. A L-B has incredible distribution.

What do you think of J Barrett?

I think he's well suspect defensively at 15. Don't know if he would be at 12. I guess he'd have to play a season there and be brilliant to be considered for the WC.

by
by (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 14:45
Vince Aso was very good at 13 for the Canes last season, don't think he was too far away from a call up. Moala and Ngatai both seemed to have fallen off the radar.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 14:46
Think Ngatai had really bad concussion issues and i think is now playing at 15.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 14:47
No I think Moala's fit, just been rotated out of the 23.

I think J Barrett has the potential to be as good as Beauden, his tackling is good but he is often out of position in defence as he looks for counter-attacking opportunities. Think he'd be a good 12 though as he likes playing at first receiver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/03/2018 14:48 by BathBurger.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 15:11
"I know this is going to set me up foir attack, but i dont get all this fawning over Super rugby sides"

I agree. It feels a bit like league to me. Yes, there's lots of attacking flair and big hits, but its somehow missing something. I usually put it down to not having a connection to any of teams though. I suspect I could get right into it with some sort of buy in, but usually when I watch I just end up a bit meh, so its a bit cyclic.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 15:30
For me the ball handling skills are far superior to anything we see in the PL and the games seem to flow better. Some of the defending is a bit suspect, but for the neutral who cares.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 16:07
Yes, it's horses for courses. My mate was a centre up to county level and he hates Super Rugby. No kidding. He loves watching fat forwards crawl through the mud and endless reset scrums. It's just his thing. He hates all the offloads, missed passes, crazy fast backs and crunching hits. I think that's odd for a former centre but his passion is his passion.

When i watch French club rugby i get bored easily. Each to their own.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 16:08
Quote:
BathBurger
I think J Barrett has the potential to be as good as Beauden, his tackling is good but he is often out of position in defence as he looks for counter-attacking opportunities. Think he'd be a good 12 though as he likes playing at first receiver.

Has he played 12 for the Canes?

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 17:35
Quote:
Danchinho
Quote:
BathBurger

Has he played 12 for the Canes?

Not yet. He had surgery over the summer, which as part of his rehab he bulked up and worked on his carrying and tackling as there was a plan to play him at 12 for the canes. He's only played 12 for his provincial team (Canterbury?), but I think fans see him as a complete Utility back.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 09:58
"Some of the defending is a bit suspect, but for the neutral who cares."

I enjoy a united game, but on a totally different, less involved level. I think there's an analogy. You often (you used to at any rate) see loads of adventurous rugby in the united and dubious defending, didn't really care so much who won, so I sort of find it similar. I've never thought the fact you see lots of trys as a strong selling point of united rugby, indeed that they come relatively easily somewhat devalues them.

So, as a (sort of) neutral supporter I do care if the attacking rugby comes as a result of a lack of defence.

Like the centre mentioned about (I suspect), I like the whole package of rugby and can get as much out of a 12-9 result as I can out of a double try bonus point game.

Awp24975
Awp24975 (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 13:19
Quote:
Danchinho
Yes, it's horses for courses. My mate was a centre up to county level and he hates Super Rugby. No kidding. He loves watching fat forwards crawl through the mud and endless reset scrums. It's just his thing. He hates all the offloads, missed passes, crazy fast backs and crunching hits. I think that's odd for a former centre but his passion is his passion.
When i watch French club rugby i get bored easily. Each to their own.

I agree with your mate, unless it’s a South African team playing I really don’t make the effort to watch it. Get bored watching the NZ and Australian teams!

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

16 March, 2018 14:29
Chiefs vs Bulls. Was a good game.

Chiefs had the likes of Retallick, Cane, A Lienert-Brown, Mackenzie.

Bulls had Pollard, De Jager, Jesse Kriel (best cenrte on the park today).

Finished 41-28 to the Chiefs but it was 14-28 at HT to the Bulls.

Bulls were great in the 1st half. Chiefs made some adjustments though and got some momentum. Bulls had a man sin binned (should have been a red) for a cheap shot on Mackenzie and the Chiefs made them pay.

Once again you could see the NZ team was stronger in the final 20 minutes. They also have an ability to make tactical changes to reverse fortunes!

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

16 March, 2018 16:16
Great game I thought!

No way that isn't a red, I'm sure the citing will adjust.

Chiefs had no right to win especially they're already affected by injury.

Retallick is setting the mark for second rows.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

16 March, 2018 16:40
Yeah, i mean Retallick was incredible. 1st game back too!

Feel disappointed for the Bulls. They played with such endeavour. Last quarter killed them.

by
by (IP Logged)

26 March, 2018 16:15
Did anyone watch Hurricanes vs Highlanders last weekend, the intensity throughout that game was mind blowing.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

26 March, 2018 19:45
Quote:
by
Did anyone watch Hurricanes vs Highlanders last weekend, the intensity throughout that game was mind blowing.

Ruddy good one eh?

Truly is a different game down in NZ.

Beergoggles
Beergoggles (IP Logged)

26 March, 2018 20:23
Quote:
Super Rugby ?

Not recently no. Seen plenty of bang average frustrating rugby though.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

27 March, 2018 07:15
Quote:
BathBurger
Quote:
by

Ruddy good one eh?

Truly is a different game down in NZ.

Watch it every week, so much more entertaining than the AP.

Suspect TB is failing at Bath because he's used to coaching players with more ball handling skills.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

27 March, 2018 07:48
Wasn't the team he coached in NZ a bit underwhelming for the players it had?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

27 March, 2018 08:52
Well he made the final twice and the semi-final four times.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

27 March, 2018 09:10
Quote:
hasta
Well he made the final twice and the semi-final four times.

Probably should have won it with the players he had, but either way we can only dream of ever having that level of success at Bath. TB just had more skilled players at his disposal in NZ.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

27 March, 2018 09:47
I don't really want to get into knocking him, but this is his record in bold compared to Crusader's usual form:

1996 12th
1997 6th
1998 1st
1999 1st
2000 1st
2001 10th
2002 1st
2003 2nd
2004 2nd
2005 1st
2006 1st
2007 3rd
2008 1st
2009 4th
2010 4th
2011 2nd
2012 4th
2013 4th
2014 2nd
2015 7th
2016 7th

2017 1st

At best not their finest period.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

27 March, 2018 10:36
Canes vs Landers was a great game. No wonder the ABs are so good when the club teams play like that!

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

03 April, 2018 15:56
Bulls (with Jesse Kriel - form centre of SR do far imo) beat the Stormers (with Willemse - best up and coming FH imo).

Rebels were destroyed by the Hurricanes. Aussies thought their clubs were bouncing back. Nope!

Blues were annihilated by the Sharks. Blues do all the clever stuff but none of the basics. Like they're constantly channeling the Babas spirit. Surely Tana Umaga is facing the axe there at some point. Blues actually scored 40 brilliant points but let in 63 mostly lousy ones.

Lions lost to an under strength Crusaders team at home. Was a repeat of last years final. Lions having trouble defending this year. Crusaders having a terrible time of injuries this year.

Rich.
Rich. (IP Logged)

07 April, 2018 09:07
Quote:
Big Dog
I personally love watching Super Rugby. I do predominantly watch the NZ teams play and then outside of that the Lions, Jaguares, Waratahs and this season, the Rebels, all try to play rugby in a really positive fashion for the most part which is entertaining to watch!
I must say the one thing I note about Super Rugby comparatively is that the reason that there is such high scoring matches is because the defences are sometimes so incredibly poor. If you watch highlights of this weeks matches I saw about 6/7 if not more tries that wouldn't have been conceded in the NH as the defence was just so weak or the opposition gave an easy 5 points to their competition!

With that said though I do love watching these talented players throw the ball around as it makes for great viewing as a neutral!

I don't think in general they are poor, it's just that defenders are tired and rhe 'line' disorganised due to what has gone on in the lead up to the try. It's like the tries conceeded to Scarlets at the Rec - players weren't (in such a big game) not giving their all defensively but the way the Scarlets played made the defenders tired, disorganised and not knowing where to look or who to tackle.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

12 May, 2018 13:25
Just watched the Crusaders vs Waratahs. Wow, what a game! So much skill and physicality. Well worth a watch.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

12 May, 2018 13:45
Quote:
Danchinho
Just watched the Crusaders vs Waratahs. Wow, what a game! So much skill and physicality. Well worth a watch.

Pretty controversial though. Much like Gloucester last night the tahs are not taking it well.

MESSAGES->author
callmeMrTibbs (IP Logged)

12 May, 2018 14:56
Stormers v Chiefs has Fleck v Tabai. Shame the first half was such a mare.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

22 May, 2018 16:35
Crusaders at home to the Hurricanes this weekend! Gonna be a BIG game.

Seriously wish the winners of the Euro Cup would play the winners of SR every year. Would be great for both competitions imo.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

25 May, 2018 20:55
Jaguares vs Sharks is 25mins in for free on Sky Sports Mix if anyone’s interested

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

25 May, 2018 21:00
Quote:
Rawce
Jaguares vs Sharks is 25mins in for free on Sky Sports Mix if anyone’s interested

Any good?

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

25 May, 2018 21:03
Sharks plenty of bosh up the middle but lots of mistakes. Jags now picking holes and 2 tries in almost as many minutes. Every time I see SR it makes me massively impressed at the high tempo, chuck it about but then undo lots of good work and the other team does the same. A bit mad tennis like at times. Like the All Blacks without the clinical finish.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

25 May, 2018 21:12
Quote:
Rawce
Sharks plenty of bosh up the middle but lots of mistakes. Jags now picking holes and 2 tries in almost as many minutes. Every time I see SR it makes me massively impressed at the high tempo, chuck it about but then undo lots of good work and the other team does the same. A bit mad tennis like at times. Like the All Blacks without the clinical finish.

Just caught the try scored by jaguares after the catastrophic mistake by the Sharks backs. You're spot on about the tempo, but their handling is either awesome or terrible! No imbetween!

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

25 May, 2018 21:13
"their handling is either awesome or terrible! No imbetween!"

Maybe bath should play in sr, sounds like we're half way there.

MESSAGES->author
Rawce (IP Logged)

25 May, 2018 21:32
Crazy flare in running from one 22 to the other, only to be followed by a pass to the floor or touch or no one. Their fitness should be ripping NH sides to shreds in the last 10, but I guess we draw them into a bit of a slog.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net