rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
bathboyinmidlands
bathboyinmidlands (IP Logged)

Jamie Roberts Rumours
13 March, 2018 19:05
Has anyone heard this, apparently he is rumoured to be in talks with Bath. Mixed feelings if true, I suspect his Wales days are behind Hindi at least he would be available more often than not (barring injury of course). But will he add much apart from experience and power which we will be losing in the back line when banners goes but obviously won’t replace his pace.

Could also help youngsters with experience like Max etc. Wouldn’t want to be paying him too much out of the cap though!!

Thoughts anyone??

dcsh
dcsh (IP Logged)

Re: Jamie Roberts Rumours
13 March, 2018 19:11
I understand that he is keen to get back in the Wales squad for the 2019 World Cup, his form has been pretty good recently, but Wales may have moved on now which could be good in terms of his availability.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 19:25
He's actually been pretty good for Quins this season. This seems like potentially a good one year deal.

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 19:27
And, given the way things have been going this season, its always good to have a medic on the field.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

bathboyinmidlands

13 March, 2018 19:43
Like it good point on field doctor and player

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 20:00
The way the NHS is I would sign him just as a doctor.

Kidney Stone
Kidney Stone (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 20:19
Good player if somewhat one dimensional but not worth breaking the bank over.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 20:26
Quote:
Kidney Stone
Good player if somewhat one dimensional but not worth breaking the bank over.

+1 think he's on a big salary at Quins. If he's happy to take a pretty serious wage cut I'd be pretty happy with the signing.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 20:30
Strange one but with Tapuai going the other way, apparently because our coaches want a more direct centre, it seems to fit.

I wasn’t overly excited when I first thought about it, but alongside JJ, I could see him opening up some space for our wide guys.

Clarke, Willison, Roberts and JJ would be a good solid stable. He’d be welcome for a year or two.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

13 March, 2018 20:56
All depends on how salary demands.
His days of a high wage are behind him, but does he / his agent accept that?
A year or so teaching Johnny and Max could be quite helpful, and I' m sure JJ would appreciate a destructive runner inside of him.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=377
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/03/2018 20:57 by Which Tyler.

bathboyinmidlands

13 March, 2018 23:15
The more I think about it he could play a useful role trucking up and punching some holes for JJ and co with AW cutting some decent lines to exploit any holes.

Perhaps what we have been missing in midfield for a while a serious defence dent maker.

Agree with general consensus though would be only consider if not taking too much of the salary pot.

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 07:20
No thanks, too expensive given his desire to play for Wales and recent injury record.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 07:30
'Too expensive' depends on how much he's paid. I'm sure it would be a substantial pay cut. He's played 15/17 Prem and 5/6 Euro games for Quins this season. Not bad.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 07:31
The problem I have with Roberts is that he has all these natural gifts, but he hasn't really added that much extra to his game over the years. Look at Nonu or Bastereau and how they managed it.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 07:33
I thought it was decided we wouldn’t seek out players whose best years are behind them & who are increasingly troubled by injury. It sounds similar to the signing of Lewis Moody which was not a success.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 07:43
Quote:
cb2
The problem I have with Roberts is that he has all these natural gifts, but he hasn't really added that much extra to his game over the years. Look at Nonu or Bastereau and how they managed it.

Agree with this, if many on this board criticise Brown for not having a passing game, how often will JJ get the ball outside JR? Sorry not convinced.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 07:51
The main thing that would bother me is the short term nature of it. If 12 were THE missing piece in our game, then maybe, but I want is to build towards something. He'll come in, do what he does for a season, maybe two, then leave us in no better place. Then we'll probably do the same again.

We should be looking for a solution to our centres, but this seems the least we could achive. I bet we could spend the same money on a shot in the dark, but one that has potential. Next season he might not do as much as Jamie, though he might, but every season after that. If that shot doesn't come off, we're no worse of really.

It just seems the easy, short term, unimaginative answer.

Bathovalballer
Bathovalballer (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 07:58
This is a difficult one.

Yes JR in his prime (about 3 seasons ago) would have offered big ball carrying, tackling experience and carried a real threat in the centre. But at 32 this November, his continued studies at Queens College, Cambridge, his ageing body not going to suffer and recover from injury well, unless he came relatively cheap, I would say no thanks. Rather spend more money in some way developing a youngster like Williams at Irish. J R would be here no more than a season or 2 at the most, and personally I think we should be looking longer term. Also we might need extra cap to keep JJ here as well!

If he agreed to be paid on a match by match basis, therefore when not selected it doesn't cost the club much, that may be a possibility and good way forward for him and the club. That is the only basis IMO we should take him on board. (Don't want another guy blocking up a sun bed or massage table at the Spa!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/03/2018 08:01 by Bathovalballer.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 08:05
With the cap, can you agree to a pay per play contact?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 09:16
You can agree whatever contract you like provided it doesn't breach the total.

Roberts is still quality. Those worrying about JJ not getting the ball haven't been paying attention for the last season and a half where he's been playing first receiver and distributor as much as anything else (he did the same for England on Saturday when subbed on for Ford). Blackadder clearly prefers a hard-running style of 12 rather than a second 5/8th. Those worried about injuries, Johnny Williams has missed more games in the last two seasons through injury than Roberts.

A centre grouping of:

JJ
Roberts
Clark
Willison
Wright
(Williams?)

would suit nicely for next season. Season after that is RWC so not so much.

Also, anyone suggesting a pay-per-play deal, catch yerself on. It's that sort of petty, short-sighted nonsense that cost us Mike Catt.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 09:28
Hasta +1.

That stable of centres looks infinitely better than this season (or last) and would provide options, youth and experience. Until we can tempt a Southern Hemisphere star post-RWC or a young English star of the future (Williams from LI, Devoto back from Exe) then Roberts seems the best available, most cost-effective option for the next season or two.

Sign him up.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 09:29
Not sure I fully understand Hasta, are you saying in broken play JJ plays in a 10/12 position, I've seen that for England but how would that work with Roberts for Bath?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 09:40
I'm saying that outside of first phase JJ plays first receiver quite frequently. In terms of first phase it's quite easy to see JJ getting ball. It's called 'miss one'.

Mike Brown is a completely different comparison. He frequently gets the ball in two-on-one scenarios (or two on one-and-a-half if it's a half break) and almost never passes (or chucks it straight into touch). For the sake of even-handedness, Watson isn't exactly fantastic at this either.

What we need in the backs is balance of broadswords and sabres. Asking sabres to do broadsword roles (e.g. Taps the last year and a bit) isn't going to help. If we can get Watson distributing a bit more (or move him to wing with Homer at 15) then I like the balance for one season of Roberts at 12. He'll provide experience and leadership, an out ball for 10, and a good example for Clark.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 09:43
OK, I understand now...not sure I agree...but I understand.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 09:47
Quote:
DanWiley
The main thing that would bother me is the short term nature of it. If 12 were THE missing piece in our game, then maybe, but I want is to build towards something. He'll come in, do what he does for a season, maybe two, then leave us in no better place. Then we'll probably do the same again.
We should be looking for a solution to our centres, but this seems the least we could achive. I bet we could spend the same money on a shot in the dark, but one that has potential. Next season he might not do as much as Jamie, though he might, but every season after that. If that shot doesn't come off, we're no worse of really.

It just seems the easy, short term, unimaginative answer.
I think this is most valid (assuming a reasonable wage). But if our likely stock of 12s is Roberts (31), Williams (21), Clarke (22), Willison (29), Wright (21)
A] it's interesting that a 31 year olf centre is an age worry on a 1-2 year contract; whilst we all moan that a winger is well worth a 3 year contract at all of 1 month younger.
B] Plenty seem to think that Clarke isn't quite ready for regular Prem action yet this season - will he be next year? will Johnny Williams? Max Wright? - Would any of them benefit from spending a year or two training with, and learning from a 98 capped international? Not quite the same as Jackson Willison, who would most likely be brought in to cover as injury replacement at 10-13

If we've got our solutions going forwards, but we think they're a year from being ready; why not bring in an experienced pro to hold the fort until they're ready, and potentially to ease out of the first squad as and when.
Why spend money on a shot in the dark potential player who might pay off in a couple of years; when we've already got three who we're already more confident in than "a shot in the dark"; one of whom has already spent a year intesting international coaches to tap him up.

RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/03/2018 09:56 by Which Tyler.

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 09:52
Sorry to be a dampner but isn't this just another of those signings to get bums on seats. Hardly long term strategic philosophy!

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 09:57
Quote:
annie blackthorn
Sorry to be a dampner but isn't this just another of those signings to get bums on seats. Hardly long term strategic philosophy!
Of course - it could always be both; not that I think Jamie Roberts is currently a name to get bums on seats anyway; or that a desire to get bums on seats is a bad thing.

RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/03/2018 09:58 by Which Tyler.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 10:13
"You can agree whatever contract you like provided it doesn't breach the total. "

Yes, but you'd have to budget for the most games you want him to play so it would be pointless and potentially leave you in an awkward position were you couldn't play him.

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 10:44
Well sure. But a pay as you play contact is unbelievably stupid anyway and no player would accept it unless they were desperate to prove fitness after years out.

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 10:52
Jamie Roberts was once rumoured to be one of the very highest paid players in the world. He will not come cheap. Like the situation with Halfpenny - of course we would like him to come to Bath but there is a balancing act.

Gloucester seems more likely - they pay well for big guy with a few miles on the clock.

On a serious note - why is he leaving Quins?

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 11:00
Originally he was set to leave Quins because he had to play in Wales. I assume therefore Quins planned for life without him. Subsequently that rule has been changed, so there isn't the need for him to play there - and there might not be a region able to afford him.

We lack size in our backline, particularly without Banners, and both numbers and experience at centre. Obviously not at any cost, but actually I can see lots of positives in this (if it's true).

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 11:39
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Came up on the Bath-Addict FB page...

I'm so conflicted by this [potential] signing

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 11:54
It could be a repeat of the Falletau situation though I imagine it will take a couple of injuries to see him back in the Wales fold.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/03/2018 11:58 by Bath Hammer.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 11:58
That link makes it look like an agreed deal!

Have to say thinking about this that JR's age might not make much difference, he was never known for his pace after all. If it does happen Priestland Roberts or Burns Roberts would certainly provide a backs leadership core and he is known for coordinating defences.

We'll see I suppose.

MESSAGES->author
Robbinho (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 11:59
Confirmed!

[www.bathrugby.com]

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 12:00
[www.bathrugby.com]

Confirmed!

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

MESSAGES->author
OutsideBath (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 12:01
Oh well lets just hope this was a signing that TB wanted.

Jack Wilson - Adopted player 2017/18

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 12:02
If we do sign him we probably need another centre as he & Clarke are regularly injured & JJ may well be involved with England. Jackson Willison would get masses of game time!

MESSAGES->author
Griff (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 12:05
TB always said he wanted a big ball carrying 12 which we now have. Tarquin will be happy as he'll have more bums on seats (Sm100)

Could be a very shrewd signing. Lets give him a chance eh! Welcome Jamie

"You're going to need a bigger boat"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/03/2018 12:08 by Griff.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 12:07
Wow. That all happened very quickly (from rumour to confirmed!).

Welcome Jamie!

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 12:07
As discussed above, I like this signing smiling smiley

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 12:09
So, a Taps swap - interested to see who works out better over the next year or two.

TG Kesmo
TG Kesmo (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 12:10
Decidedly underwhelmed by this, one dimensional truck it up and hope merchant for Wales. I sincerely hope we haven’t paid a lot.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 12:14
I'm really pleased with that. If he's being paid about the same as Taps, then I think it's a very fair swap, considering what the coaches are after.

I think he'll work well with Fred and Rhys, hopefully opening up some holes in the wider channels for the likes of JJ, Roko and Ant to exploit.

Welcome, Jamie.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 12:16
Im happier with this rather than the Te'o rumour.

Essentially similar players, but one away with England all the time.

Very experienced player. Good addition.

Adopted Player 17-18 & 16-17: Dave Attwood
Adopted Player 15-16: Matt Garvey

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 12:17
Does that mean we won't be trying for Williams? One would think so.

I probably don't know what i'm talking about.

opti
Optimist (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 12:17
Nothing not to like about that! Good work Bath.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 12:19
Tarquin has made it abundantly clear that signings are made strategically with a view to two or three years ahead. Roberts will do for a year until after the RWC when a lot more talent will be available.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/03/2018 12:21 by @Hydor18.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 12:30
Quote:
@Hydor18
Tarquin has made it abundantly clear that signings are made strategically with a view to two or three years ahead. Roberts will do for a year until after the RWC when a lot more talent will be available.

(Sm6)

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 12:35
He wouldn't have been my choice but it does give a certain calibre to our midfield: Burns, jr, JJ. Roko, Watson and Homer isn't a bad back three either.

Makes me think, shame about banners, but then I start thinking if we let banners go to get Jamie...

Still, look for a 9 now. A great 9 and that's a worrying set of backs.

P G Tips
P G Tips (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 12:36
We've been wanting that physical, hefty centre option for a while and we get one with experience (who will not IMHO be first choice for his country) - a good signing I think.

I am in the pro camp on this one and hope he gets a better reception than Stephen Donald did.

PG

P G Tips

Paul Grant: my adopted Player, 2017-18.

ilovebathtime
ilovebathtime (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 12:36
I'm really torn. When Roberts was at his peak playing for the Lions against South Africa his partnership with O'Driscoll was amongst the best I have seen.

There are a few things that worry me though. As others have said, this feels a bit like a Moody signing. i would generally like us to get players on their way up, and retain the experienced players rather than bring them in when they are on their way down.

The other thing that worries me is the lack of pace that we have in the side at the moment. In some ways this is probably due to the injuries and the international call ups we have had, and maybe it isn't inside centre that you really need pace, but it adds to my concern that we are going to remain a bit one dimensional with our backs play.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 12:43
Quote:
BathMatt53
So, a Taps swap - interested to see who works out better over the next year or two.

So who is right then Blackadder or Kingston? One thing is for sure Todd seems really delighted saying he will have "an instant impact when he comes in this summer"

cb2
cb2 (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 12:46
Quote:
The Harlequins star is out of contract at the end of the season and has agreed to join up with Todd Blackadder.

He has agreed to join up with Bath, not with Blackadder.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 12:46
Quote:
DanWiley
He wouldn't have been my choice but it does give a certain calibre to our midfield: Burns, jr, JJ. Roko, Watson and Homer isn't a bad back three either.
Makes me think, shame about banners, but then I start thinking if we let banners go to get Jamie...

Still, look for a 9 now. A great 9 and that's a worrying set of backs.

+1 Chudley?

Awp24975
Awp24975 (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 12:54
Excellent signing and in my opinion just what we need.
He has been playing well for Quins, and if he can pass on his knowledge to the younger guys for a couple of years this could be some very good business by Bath.

bathboyinmidlands

14 March, 2018 13:17
Think I am now in the positive signing camp on this one, starting to shape up into a decent back line if all fit next season. But we desperately need a top class 9 to spark them with quick distribution (providing the forwards do their job)

If we can get this then will start to have a much warmer fuzzier feeling about next season.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 13:20
Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
BathMatt53

So who is right then Blackadder or Kingston? One thing is for sure Todd seems really delighted saying he will have "an instant impact when he comes in this summer"

If it means that Quins have freed up a marquee space for an All Black to come in next season I'm sure that they won't be disappointed. More squad balancing I guess.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 13:26
If it's at the expense of Johnny Williams i will be disappointed tbh. That's just an 'if' though.

Bath Supporter Jack

14 March, 2018 13:34
I like this very much.

I am also relieved as it shows that the Salary Cap will be spent and has probably already been allocated on players yet to be announced.

Will perhaps, in time explain why the Club, rightly in my view, could not up the ante for Banners (my favourite squad player). Just in case people missed my other post.....James Haskell played for his schoolboy club Wasps, Man of the Series for England v Australia, British Lion in 2017 and now playing for England in 2018 has not even been given a new contract by Wasps of any length!!!

bathwickboy
bathwickboy (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 13:35
I am sorry but I just cannot get too excited about this signing. Although Roberts has been a good player, his best days are surely behind him by a few years and though we cannot have a team entirely made up of 'young lads for the future' the time machine has gone back a few too many years in the case of Roberts. He will bring experience and knowledge about the game, he is generally sound defensively but will surely be found out increasingly due to his lack of pace and one dimensional style. I think we could have done better, but I am scratching my head to think of who at this precise moment in time.
Anyhow, I wish him good luck with us and hope that he proves me wrong in every possible sense.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 13:38
From Opta, for any of those thinking he’s on his last legs and injury prone.

1166 - @Jamiehuwroberts has played more minutes in @premrugby than any other @Harlequins player this season (1166), making the most carries (130) by a back at the club and the fourth most tackles (132) by a back in the entire league.

He and JJ should form quite a defensive partnership. Question is, what can they do together in attack?

Shorty Shorty iiv
Shorty Shorty iiv (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 13:39
Called this ages ago in another thread, just saying!!!

Shorty Shorty iiv
Shorty Shorty iiv (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 13:45
Quote:
Shorty Shorty iiv
Called this ages ago in another thread, just saying!!!

And I’m happy with it, fit he’s the kind of player we need, and he’s massively experienced and intelligent..

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 14:32
I don't agree that he will make Bath one dimensional, just the opposite, he gives us an option or decoy in midfield with lighter runners either side.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 14:36
Well for a big centre he should play more games than T'eo would have (hopefully).

Ali1969
Ali1969 (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 14:37
Great signing IMHO - A world class player when fit and shows we can as a club attract such players will also greatly benefit the young players and attract further young talent to play and train with such players, may also tip the balance in our favour when Talupe considers his future as I understand both he and JR are great friends. Need some more positive need and signings to offset what has been a disappointing 2018 for us.

Bathovalballer

14 March, 2018 14:59
He can help run the massages at the Spa!

More realistically, I wonder if they have employed him as the team doctor, thereby saving a salary!

Seriously though, from what I have read he is still studying for his MPhil at Cambridge. Or is that old news and he can do it with distance learning?

Yes he ticks many boxes with regards to experience and possibly acting as a defence opener and wrecker, but his lack of pace and a kicking game doesn't make him an ideal 12 IMV. He is a better distributor and tackler than Banners and obviously a better centre, filling the gap of a big ball carrier lost with MB going to Glaws.

And I do think Annie is right, with his pedigree, about putting bums on seats and attracting sponsors which we desperately need in the coming 2/3 years.

I suppose as not many of us thought this move was on, it has come as a surprise. If we can get him working with his fellow backs and he stays fit, it might be the man we and Todd has been looking for.

Welcome Jamie and I reserve judgement to see what effect he has on the team next season.

40 Mile
40 Mile (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 15:09
The more I think about this, the more I really like the prospect of an experienced, strong centre to play alongside JJ and strengthen the centres. I liked Ben T but feel we have the better player now with Jamie arriving and Ben moving on.

JR certainly won't be trying to drop short grubber balls which just get picked up and run straight back at us!

Welcome Jamie...I look forward to watching you in the BBW.

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 15:19
Lack of pace is not the issue here. Pace is not normally one of the main characteristics of a 12 (kicking is very helpful though).

When looking at the backline as a whole other than 10, the rest of the likely selections are full of pace. We blessed with two of the quickest at 13 and 15, so it's not vital to have it at 12 also.

We do need bulk and a gain line presence (both side of the ball) though which he'll provide.

Big question is not the 2nd play-maker (as has been pointed out is JJ), but who will help the 10 with clearing the lines? I'm guessing it'll be Watson, as that should be part of the fullbacks skill set. We should see him used in a greater capacity next year in that respect (or Homer, whoever is available).

Adopted Player 17-18 & 16-17: Dave Attwood
Adopted Player 15-16: Matt Garvey

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 15:51
Dan Evans is saying Bath got a very good deal in terms of salary.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 16:18
Quote:
BathSalmon

In which case...happy days.

Slightly surprised at the length though, given his age. Guess he must be in good shape.

'The Chronicle understands Roberts will arrive on at least a two-year deal.'

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 16:26
Does that just mean a 2 year with an option? That would be fairly standard I think, I would expect 2 years, he's not THAT old, and the option just means longer if everyone's happy, which feels fairly speculative.

I would expect his salary to have come down a fair amount over his last one so I would expect it to be a "very good deal" in some sense.

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 16:31
Quote:
BathSalmon
With no reason to dis-believe this; excellent news and I welcome Jamie without reservation.
Now to secure those signatures from Joe Cokanasiga and Johnny Williams

RAEBURN SHIELD

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 16:35
Quote:
DanWiley
Does that just mean a 2 year with an option?

Didn't think of it that way - I had assumed that DE knew it was at least 2 years but that it could be more. Your interpretation makes more sense albeit we did give a (too?) long deal to Charteris.

john fox
johnnyf (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 16:37
Seems to tick all the boxes:
International experience / big and powerful / leader on the pitch / "cheap" to run / puts Annie Blackthorn's bums on the seats.......
and for goodness sake he's only 31 - he's only just cut his second teeth!

sid the seagull
sid the seagull (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 16:52
Top news indeed.
But rather than Charteris I’d much rather have two mind-bendingly huge and terrifying props (one each side) and have Big Dave back happy and firing.
Onwards and upwards.

FLAP

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 16:57
I think this is a good signing for us and will provide a good ball carrier for us combined with his defensive strength.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 18:09
Just out of curiosity why do we think Quins signed Tapuai & let Roberts go? Presumably a question of finance?

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 18:16
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Just out of curiosity why do we think Quins signed Tapuai & let Roberts go? Presumably a question of finance?

I think Roberts was a Marquee player for them? Perhaps they areally lining up a big signing elsewhere (what with their new link with New Zealand).

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 18:41
Quote:
Bath Hammer
my understanding is that Gatland's law changed, and Jamie wanted to be back in Wales; Quin's started looking for a replacement.
Gatland's law changed again, and Jamie didn't need to be in Wales, and also wouldn't get a central contract; but Quin's had already started replacing him, quite possibly or that the lack of central contract came after they'd secured Tapuai.

Both Tapuai and Robert's contracts would be less that Robert's previous contract

RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/03/2018 18:42 by Which Tyler.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 19:15
Quote:
Which Tyler

Both Tapuai and Robert's contracts would be less that Robert's previous contract

Hope so, reportedly £380k before.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

by
by (IP Logged)

14 March, 2018 22:19
The more I've seen, the more it seems like a good bit of business.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

15 March, 2018 06:42
Can’t complain though with Roberts & Clark among our centres do we have sufficient injury cover?

dannyf2
dannyf2 (IP Logged)

15 March, 2018 07:02
Cue career-ending knee injury...

Good signing. Intelligent leader who has a few years of post-international rugby in his locker.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

15 March, 2018 07:46
Now we just need our scrum halves to quickly distribute this front foot ball that he will be creating. No point in him trucking it up for us to hesitate for 3secs and then kick it...it will be nice to see JJ running forwards ball in hand again.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

15 March, 2018 09:18
First off, i hope J Roberts has an extremely productive career with us.

That being said, if i was casting an envious eye around the league for a centre to help push us to a top 4 team. I wouldn't have picked Roberts.

Also, Roberts, JJ, Clark, Willison. All prem experience and can be expecting to compete for a starting place. Would be very surprised to see Johnny Williams added to that list.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

15 March, 2018 09:27
Quote:
Danchinho

Also, Roberts, JJ, Clark, Willison. All prem experience and can be expecting to compete for a starting place. Would be very surprised to see Johnny Williams added to that list.

I guess that it depends on whether JR is still on the Wales radar. If he is, then that could mean we are left with 2 centres during internationals, one who seems to have a poor injury record (like Johnny Williams). If his international days are over then it makes the Bath situation look a lot better in terms of numbers.

dr.bath1865
dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)

15 March, 2018 09:31
Being more specific, casting that envious eye around the league, who would you have chosen over Roberts, considering that Blackadder wants a carrying 12?

Farrell and Tomoua, maybe but they're not carriers and they'd be marquee. Te'o, too, or he'd just be bloody expensive and unavailable quite a bit.

Other than that, who did you want? There don't seem to be too many available/cost-effective alternatives.

Personally, Devoto is one of the few players in the league who would fit, as he's big enough to carry, has a left foot and some subtle skills. But then again he doesn't get in the Exeter team so he can't be that good.

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

15 March, 2018 09:40
The thing about the, if not him then who discussion is I bet we'll see another team bring in a 12 and we'll, slightly unreasonably, say "dam". It's a big rugby world out there and just because we can't name a 12, doesn't mean he doesn't exist. I'd actually say that in many cases IF I can name him he's probably not value for money.

I can't see JR picking up too many more caps. Wales should certainly be thinking of the long run.

<positive> Still, we'll potentially be able to field a very good back row and set of backs next year </positive>

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

15 March, 2018 09:49
Quote:
dr.bath1865

Farrell and Tomoua, maybe but they're not carriers and they'd be marquee.

Couldn't be marquee as already in the prem.

I wouldn't have thought that there are many ball carrying 12s who would be an improvement over a fully fit Max Clark? He is a skillful, fast and a unit - shame he's a bit fragile.

Danchinho
Danchinho (IP Logged)

15 March, 2018 10:14
Just because a player can't get a regular start for the Champions doesn't mean he's not good enough for Bath.

Bathovalballer

15 March, 2018 10:44
I watched Devoto last weekend, and yes he makes hard yards, but he still has not learned how to time and give a pass or off load. He was in possession and had the potential to put men around him into space, after he had drawn the opposition on to him, at least twice, but failed to pass the ball on and the chances went begging. He is like a younger Banners but doesn't have the speed Banners did at his age. Also his kicking game is patchy at best.

IMO if we are looking at a banger centre at Exeter, Ian Whitton is the man. Tackles very hard, runs straight and can pass. Again kicking out of hand is not a strength.

I am not a fan of T'eo and know Worcester supporters who say they don't recognise him as one of theirs as he is rarely on the pitch for them.

Young James at Sale is a good young banger type centre and he definitely has good allround skills.

As said there are very few alternatives and that is where JR could do a good job for us. Lets hope so.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

15 March, 2018 11:21
Quite frankly Devoto has not fulfilled his potential. I had major concerns when he stood in at f/h for us. I realise he was very young & that was not his favoured position but I would have expected more from a highly rated youngster with international aspirations having been given that opportunity. From then onwards he has had a patchy career with outstanding matches but a lack of consistency so I wouldn’t welcome a return to Bath. I find it difficult to get too excited about new players, particularly ones with recent injury problems, after several seasons when our squad has been decimated by injury. We do have a much stronger squad & many fringe player have come in & had outstanding matches individually if not always collectively but it is imperative that we ensure we have adequate cover in every position. We can do with one or two all round players like Wilson to fulfill that need.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

15 March, 2018 11:32
Quote:
Bathovalballer
I watched Devoto last weekend, and yes he makes hard yards, but he still has not learned how to time and give a pass or off load. He was in possession and had the potential to put men around him into space, after he had drawn the opposition on to him, at least twice, but failed to pass the ball on and the chances went begging.

Agree, he doesn't seem to have the time some other players have on the ball. havoing said that he will probably play a blinder against his old club at the w/e!

HugoBoss
HugoBoss (IP Logged)

15 March, 2018 11:52
I'm of the opinion we could now focus attention to positions besides centre. We still have Max Wright to come back in to the fold, who is well thought of, and Brew has shown his ability to move in there if needs must. Todd at the time of Wright's and Green's signing said he wanted to "evolve the squad so that it combines excellent, promising young talent with experienced world-class players." That to me sounds exactly what JJ and Roberts are, as well as Clark who has many years left obviously, and Willison who is well experienced in the Premiership. A Devoto type player in addition would be nice granted, but we need to build elsewhere first IMO.

To me, Gatland looks to have finally realised the need to begin evolving the Welsh side. For season after season he stuck to the same faces but recently, through injury or simply new faces putting their hands up, he has begun deepening the pool of players good enough to call up. I'm not suggesting Roberts won't be called up full stop, but I don't believe its a dead cert either.

I'm with Sid the Seagull, lets now target (if they've not been already) some meaty props, and also set about signing a top quality winger or indeed a top prospect a la Cokanasiga. Charteris for me is an expensive luxury that hasn't paid off, the return of a revitalised Attwood, with fresh new experience elsewhere, will be like a new signing.

Adopted Player 2017-18.....Semesa "Freak of Nature" Rokoduguni

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

15 March, 2018 12:10
Has it been mentioned anywhere that we may re-sign Gavin Henson as a replacement for Josh?

West Country Welsh.

MESSAGES->author
shipwrecked (IP Logged)

15 March, 2018 12:16
Quote:
@Hydor18
Has it been mentioned anywhere that we may re-sign Gavin Henson as a replacement for Josh?
West Country Welsh.

Why? Is he out of the Dragons set up?

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

15 March, 2018 12:21
Only by you Hydor!

They certainly wouldn't need him anymore if Owen Williams goes to Dragons as rumours are suggesting. Surely we can do better than a 36 (37 in Feb) year old Henson, currently out with a season ending thigh injury?

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

15 March, 2018 12:39
It was mentioned on one of the podcasts, either F&S or Egg Chasers. He keeps himself in very good nick, so wouldn't be a bad shout as a third choice.

Personally, whilst it might be extremely harsh on him, I'd see if Rhys could be enticed by a Welsh region, then go for Cipriani.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net