rugbyunion
Latest News:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Bath86
Bath86 (IP Logged)

Players/Coaches Next Season.
16 April, 2018 09:51
Good morning,

Can someone please update me to who we have signed for next season, both players and coaches, and if no head coach who is rumored?

Much appreciated!

MESSAGES->author
BathSalmon (IP Logged)

Re: Players/Coaches Next Season.
16 April, 2018 10:29
Mostly stolen from the Newcastle board!...

IN:
Jackson Willison (Centre, Worcester Warriors)
Victor Delmas (Prop, Colomiers)
Ruaridh McConnochie (Utility back, England sevens)
Jamie Roberts (Centre, Harlequins)
Will Chudley (Scrum Half, Exeter)†

RUMOURED:
Joe Cokanasiga (Winger, London Irish)

OUT:
Josh Lewis (Fly Half, Dragons)
Matt Banahan (Winger, Gloucester)
Ben Tapuai (Centre, Harlequins)
Nick Auterac (Prop, Harlequins)
James Phillips (Number 8, Sale Sharks)
Kane Palma-Newport (Prop, Released)
Shaun Knight (Prop, Released)†

I've not seen anyone linked to Todd's role or anyone for Head Coach / Attack Coach. As far as I can see Todd is staying and seeing out his 3 year contract. Hooper looks in line to take over after that.

Looks to be a summer of re-assessment by the club in how the coaches are delivering their message to the players and potentially tweaking the game plan.

I hope for coaching reinforcements though.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 10:39
Would be happy to hear something about James Wilson.

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 12:18
The 35 year old Wilson wouldn't be at the top of my list.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 12:28
As he has played nearly every game this year, in all backs positions apart from 9 and was the only 10 that we could find at one point, we need either him or someone very like him (i.e. utility back) or we could be in trouble.

Bath86
Bath86 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 12:50
What i canít fathom is how we donít seem to be replacing the obvious role of head coach/and or attack coach. It just seems ridiculous that as a professional unit we donít have both!?! I believe Joe Cokanasiga is in if LI go down, which looks very probable, couple that with the return of a fit Attwood makes us look on paper to have a very strong squad for next year

1st and second choice only IMHO

Obano/Catt
Dunn/walker
Thomas/Lahiff
Ewels/Charteris
Attwood/Stooke
Garvey/Ellis
Louw/Underhill
Faletau/Mercer
Chudley/Kahn
Priestland/Burns
Rocco/Brew
Roberts/Willison
Joseph/Clark
Cokanasinga/Vuna
Watson/Homer

That is a very very strong 30. Throw in the likes of:

Noguera
Batty
Perenise
Grant
Wilson

Some really experienced old heads, and plus the exciting youngsters;

Baylis
Douglas
Green
Atkins

Can we genuinely expect a squad with better players on paper....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2018 12:54 by Bath86.

ballsout
ballsout (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 13:02
We've often had a very strong squad on paper, so it's a real shame the coaching in the last couple of years hasn't brought it out. What a waste.

Bath Supporter Jack

16 April, 2018 13:04
When you look at that lot and if you can keep them fit and PLAYING TOGETHER IN A POSITIVE MANNER we could be Top 6.

Next season with Bristol coming up I think 8 teams will be fighting to avoid relegation and 8 teams will be fighting to be in the Top 4!

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 13:11
We still look weak at prop because several of the incumbents are constantly injured. Also, the two new centres donít look that incisive/creative though we do have quite a few back 3 options. I agree it would be useful to keep Wilson but if we keep the present coaching team we have to recruit an attack coach & a better skills coach.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 13:15
I think that Willison has been a bit underestimated on this board - he will do well for us.

BathBurger
BathBurger (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 13:25
Quote:
BathMatt53
I think that Willison has been a bit underestimated on this board - he will do well for us.

Agreed! Watching him playing for Worcester recently he's looked useful. Overshadowed by the news of Roberts.

Rokoholic
Rokoholic (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 15:04
Quote:
BathMatt53

+1

Belter of an Opta stat from 2017-18 season so far...

Most offloads:
1. Jackson Willison (Worcester Warriors) 35
2. Bryce Heem (Worcester Warriors) 22
3. Schalk Brits (Saracens) 21

Streets ahead of the crowd. If we can coach our players to run supporting lines in the same way that teams like Scarlets do, this guy could be a weapon for us.

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 15:25
I am not so sure that the coaching is the issue. Based upon the game Saturday you can't make players stop throwing poor passes or have massive drops in skill level!!

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight; 2018-19 Jonathan Joseph

nick holder
nick holder (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 15:30
I am of the opinion that Todd will not be at Bath next season and he is unlikely to be around for the last 2 games this season, he will leave this week. Hooper will be appointed etc.

I am also of the opinion that we will not see Attwood, Watson or Joseph at Bath again as we will be offered cash to allow them to break their contracts. That will allow the new DoR to build a very different sized squad with a lot of similarities to the Exeter model, and with a re-vamped approach to the Academy.

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 15:49
Quote:
nick holder
I am of the opinion that Todd will not be at Bath next season and he is unlikely to be around for the last 2 games this season, he will leave this week. Hooper will be appointed etc.
I am also of the opinion that we will not see Attwood, Watson or Joseph at Bath again as we will be offered cash to allow them to break their contracts. That will allow the new DoR to build a very different sized squad with a lot of similarities to the Exeter model, and with a re-vamped approach to the Academy.

Todd: I had thought the same.

Watson and Joseph: I would have thought that there would be others that we would / should lose before them? By Exeter model do you mean a lot of moderately expensive players rather than a few very expensive ones and lots of cheaper ones?

I don't think that we need many changes to the academy - after a few years of not much going on the Beechen route has a lot of very talented young men coming though over the next few years (you only have to look at the U15s winning the cup this year, packed with talent). The issue of course is that we need to be patient, but we are starting to see some come through (Partington, de Glanville, Reid).

HMilner
Big Dog (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 16:11
I personally do not see the point in pushing Todd out the door before the end of the season or at all to be honest with you! I don't know where this impression has been that he will not stick around if given the chance?

What we need is a strong attacking identity to come through though and a consistent set of players, particularly leaders in the backs, to help us implement it. In my opinion we are getting some leaders into the team in the right positions next year with both Roberts and Willison good options at 12 for me in terms of revolving a game plan around and organising things.

The only thing you could perhaps pin on the coaches is consistently throwing in our big money players back into the starting lineup when they are short on match fitness and rusty still. How many games have Louw, Priestland, Faletau, JJ, Watson etc not been given a chance to get a match for United or some time off the bench when they have come back from injuries. It means they are being thrown out there short on sharpness and fitness and it has affected the team as a result.

Louw and Priestland for me looked very rusty Sunday against Saracens and it cost us big time. Whether that is pressure from above which TB cannot control or not I don't know. Admittedly the lack of strength in depth have some bearing on this of course.

Adopted players: 2017-18 Shaun Knight; 2018-19 Jonathan Joseph

Rolfs_Cartoon_Club
@Hydor18 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 16:17
Quote:
BathMatt53
As he has played nearly every game this year, in all backs positions apart from 9 and was the only 10 that we could find at one point, we need either him or someone very like him (i.e. utility back) or we could be in trouble.

His versatility is a huge plus, granted, but just remember that last year Kahn was outstanding whereas this season he looks positively geriatric.

gaz59
gaz59 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 16:27
Quote:
Big Dog
I am not so sure that the coaching is the issue. Based upon the game Saturday you can't make players stop throwing poor passes or have massive drops in skill level!!

Some of those errors were just farcical

Priestland's loopy pass to no one in our 22 and then the 2 meter garryowen matched by Freddie's kick from our 10 metre line straight into the hands of their unopposed right winger

MESSAGES->author
Clarkey3k (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 16:29
Quote:
BathMatt53

I read TB wants to keep for another 12mth but the player is deciding if he wants to put his body through another season at his age. He has been a v good for us and played v well at #10 in the Sale home game [?] kicking all his goals and the last minute winner. I hope he signs on again...

Adopted players: 2018/19 Michael Van Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Change a life with a loan [www.deki.org.uk]

Bath86
Bath86 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 16:39
I know people have talked about individual errors, but that cant be the whole story, i mean most of that first team is internationally capped, or is close to being, i.e. made the squads. It feels a lot more about identity, most teams have a particular style of play, i cant think of what ours is, you need something to buy into as a team.

Bath Hammer
Bath Hammer (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 16:40
Quote:
Big Dog

So shall we just allow them to carry on doing so?

MESSAGES->author
Which Tyler (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 20:07
Quote:
nick holder
That will allow the new DoR to build a very different sized squad with a lot of similarities to the Exeter model, and with a re-vamped approach to the Academy.
What sized squad do you want? Bear in mind that over the last 2 years we've gone from the smallest to the biggest squad in the premiership, and at no point was this site happy with our numbers.
Quote:
Big Dog
Louw and Priestland for me looked very rusty Sunday against Saracens and it cost us big time. Whether that is pressure from above which TB cannot control or not I don't know. Admittedly the lack of strength in depth have some bearing on this of course.
What lack of strength in depth? The issue is that we've been playing our 3rd/4th choice players against other people's 1st and 2nd choices. If we had fewer players, we'd have been considering matches, if we had more, you complain that they're not good enough.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
http://www.rugbyrebels.co/board/download/file.php?id=608
RAEBURN SHIELD

MESSAGES->author
joethefanatic (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 22:33
Quote:
@Hydor18

He would absolutely be top of mine. An experienced leader who plays with his head up and whose basic skills don't fall apart as soon as they are tested in battle is worth his weight in gold. 2 or 3 of those available to us on a regular basis and we have a top 4 side.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

MESSAGES->author
hasta (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 22:38
He can captain United.

16 April, 2018 22:51
Just a thought but given the chance might not Mr Blackadder want to see out his contract in the hope of some improvement next season and some redemption of what might otherwise do some damage to his CV and future career. I think he's found himself caught up in a bit of a perfect storm for very little of which he is responsible.

by
by (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 23:16
Quote:
joethefanatic
Quote:
@Hydor18

He would absolutely be top of mine. An experienced leader who plays with his head up and whose basic skills don't fall apart as soon as they are tested in battle is worth his weight in gold. 2 or 3 of those available to us on a regular basis and we have a top 4 side.

+1

BathMatt53
BathMatt53 (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 23:20
The thing about James Wilson this season is that, whilst surrounded by people losing their heads, knocking on, throwing intercepted or blind passes, kicking dead, dropping balls, tackling high etc etc I genuinely canít think of one lack of skill or brain fart from him. Yes he isnít as fast as Watson or big as banners but he has been durable, positionally flexible, solid and dependable. He has massively exceeded my expectations and, to my mind at least, has earned another 12 months if he wants to play on. Well done James.

by
by (IP Logged)

16 April, 2018 23:29
video: [url]https://youtu.be/qfWdns_4DKw?t=1m26s[/url]

DanWiley
DanWiley (IP Logged)

17 April, 2018 07:55
"might not Mr Blackadder want to see out his contract in the hope of some improvement next season and some redemption of what might otherwise do some damage to his CV and future career. "

I've suppose it depends on how confident he feels. Leave now and he'd go back to the other side of the world with limited damage being able to cite a few things outside his control. Another season line this and he won't have those excuses. A moderate season and he'll have another season of being an also-ran to add to his last job. Basically, unless he smashes it out the park next season, I don't think it going to look great regardless.

From a bath point of view he needs to do that in the first 3 months of the season I'd guess, otherwise the decision will already have been made, if it hasn't already.

ade1865
Ade1865 (IP Logged)

17 April, 2018 10:48
We seem to have a lot of young front row players, many of whom appear to be injured/injury prone. Is this not a situation that is going to continue? If they ate prone to injury when young, will they not also be so when they mature?

should we not then be looking to sign one or two mature solid front rowers? Otherwise we risk being in exactly the same position next year.

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

17 April, 2018 11:23
Having sat on the fence for a while, I now hope Blackadder serves out his contract. Given the odd player or two the playing roster for next season is fixed and I'm happy with it.
What I sincerely hope we get over the summer are new scrum, attack and mind coaches. Throw in a new S&C team too.

We need a successor for Blackadder lined up who will be around for the long term. Could this be Hooper? I don't know. What other candidates are there though?

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

annie blackthorn
annie blackthorn (IP Logged)

17 April, 2018 11:37
If Hooper does become 'top dog' be interesting to see how he copes with the responsibility of achieving league success by building a cohesive team both on and off the pitch (as opposed to being part of a team where there is shared responsibility), and the buck stopping with him on its way up to Mr Craig.

Adoptee for 2017/18 James Phillips - newly arrived and bringing a wealth of experience in the Prem!

MESSAGES->author
jayeatman (IP Logged)

17 April, 2018 13:21
Quote:
annie blackthorn
and the buck stopping with him on its way up to Mr Craig.

Not sure you quite get the concept of 'stopping'.

BATH supporter since 1975

Adopted players:
2015/6 Tom Homer
2016/7 Matt Banahan
2017/8 Jeff Williams

Olly_L
BathLad (IP Logged)

17 April, 2018 15:21
Personally, I believe that this group of coaches have to go. Basic view is that coaches are there to improve the playing squad and tbh i don't see many players demonstrating progression, whilst the team as a sole identity seem to be in free fall. Obano, Dunn and Mercer (and possibly other academy graduates) aside everyone has either regressed in the Blackadder defensive nonimaginative game plan e.g. JJ and Rhys, or become injury prone, e.g. Catt, Thomas, Lahiff, Faletau and Clark, due to the ridiculous physicality expected from the side for the entire 80 minutes and most likely throughout the training week.

We need new coaches, with longevity. Bringing a new attacking identity to bring the best out of one of the strongest squads in the country. Would love to see Ben Ryan take over the DoR job with the likes of Jonathan Humphreys, Shaun Berne or Mike Catt amongst his coaching group. Imagine Ryan would have the numbers of some pretty elite SnC coaches from his time on the 7s circuit as well.

B4thB4ck
B4thB4ck (IP Logged)

17 April, 2018 16:40
On the basis that we don't have a head coach and the whole world thinks we need an attack coach, there is no need to hide any trips to the airport by club management once the season ends.

That would add some interest to the early summer, start some juicy gossip and keep the clicks going on COML.

Mike the Taxi
Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)

18 April, 2018 17:10
[www.somersetlive.co.uk] Bath Players' Future?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net